Look, up in the sky!

This forum caters to our literary tastes.

Look, up in the sky!

Postby burlivesleftnut on Tue Nov 01, 2005 11:56 am

I started reading It's Superman over my hurricane break. Not very far in, but so far it's pretty phenomenal, and it has already done a lot to make me rethink Clark Kent. Reading this it makes me wish Superman Returns was being done as a period piece. Check it out by clicking below.

burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby ZombieZoneSolutions on Tue Nov 01, 2005 11:59 am

is that cover by CHRIS WARE? i love his work. i'd love to see him do a Superman comic. you know, a deconstructed / satirical / poignant / sad version ...
ZombieZoneSolutions
AIRWOLF

Postby burlivesleftnut on Tue Nov 01, 2005 12:21 pm

I dunno. Why don't you check it out and lemme know.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Tue Nov 01, 2005 1:02 pm

<i>"It's a bird, it's a plane! It's the funk Doctor Spock smoking buddha on the train.."</i>

Sorry, wrong place.

This sounds pretty damn cool - and the cover is indeed badass. Not as badass as your new av though, Burl
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby ZombieZoneSolutions on Tue Nov 01, 2005 1:36 pm

burlivesleftnut wrote:I dunno. Why don't you check it out and lemme know.

it is indeed Chris Ware! i highly reccomed his comix work if you've never checked his stuff out. he did Acme Novelty Library and Jimmy Corrigan: The Smartest Kid On Earth. both of which are masterpieces which run the gamut from hilarious, to bizarre, to deeply depressing and insightful... he's a genius... bonafide!
ZombieZoneSolutions
AIRWOLF

Postby ONeillSG1 on Tue Nov 01, 2005 2:18 pm

I saw this in the Public Library. I'll give it a read. I thought it was something entirely different.

Awesome. There aren't any really good Superman novels out there. Cool beans.
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Location: 221C Baker Street, front row seat for some action . . .

Postby burlivesleftnut on Tue Nov 01, 2005 3:09 pm

Well you guys should definitely check this out. One of the cool things the author is doing is tying Superman's origins into the pulp material available at the time. Clark is actually into fantasy and such after spending the majority of his life feeling alienated from those around him. Sound familiar to any of you dolts?

Also the description of Clark's depression era homelife is miserable. Like I said, I am not that far into it and am totally read for him to triumph over the whole freakin' universe.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby burlivesleftnut on Tue Nov 01, 2005 3:12 pm

And while we are on the subject, check out Men of Tomorrow. I bought this in NYC last winter at this cool video store in the Village and it's a fascinating history of comics. If the ending doesn't make you sob buckets then my hat's off to you... because you my friend, are more soulless than even me!
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby burlivesleftnut on Tue Nov 01, 2005 3:21 pm

And I also bought this this weekend.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby darthevilbob on Tue Nov 01, 2005 3:44 pm

burlivesleftnut wrote:And I also bought this this weekend.

Hmmm read one of the titles in there: "Swifter than mecury!"

How swift is mercury?
darthevilbob
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby burlivesleftnut on Tue Nov 01, 2005 3:54 pm

Swift like my mom.

OH SNAP.

oh wait.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby vicious_bastard on Tue Nov 01, 2005 4:16 pm

burlivesleftnut wrote:Also the description of Clark's depression era homelife is miserable. Like I said, I am not that far into it and am totally read for him to triumph over the whole freakin' universe.

Sounds good. Fuck all that cornfield schmaltz and pies cooling on windowsils (has anyone ever seen let alone stolen such a pie?) - full-on, torturous small-town misery suits the story much better, in my head.

I might read it, or indeed any book next time I find myself without electricity. I half hoped the link was to an Ebook or something - may as well scan all the pages for me. Won't take long.
vicious_bastard
AIRWOLF

Postby ZombieZoneSolutions on Tue Nov 01, 2005 4:18 pm

burlivesleftnut wrote: Clark is actually into fantasy and such after spending the majority of his life feeling alienated from those around him. Sound familiar to any of you dolts?.

lol! Misanthropes Unite!!!

hey, The Misanthropes might be a good name for a superhero team... hmm...

"Alienated from those around them! Seeking refuge in the pages of cheap pulp comics and films, The Misanthropes nonetheless fight to save the very people who piss them off so goddamn much!"

this book definately sounds really cool, btw... i still have "Kavalier and Clay" on my list of reads, but haven't gotten to it yet...
ZombieZoneSolutions
AIRWOLF

Postby DennisMM on Wed Nov 30, 2005 10:00 pm

ZombieZoneSolutions wrote:(edit)

this book definately sounds really cool, btw... i still have "Kavalier and Clay" on my list of reads, but haven't gotten to it yet...

Read it, you fool! Then you can read The Amazing Adventures of the Escapist and get all the in-jokes!
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby The Garbage Man on Wed Nov 30, 2005 10:25 pm

Is the comic written by Chabon as well?
The Garbage Man
AIRWOLF

Postby DennisMM on Wed Nov 30, 2005 10:32 pm

He contributes one story to most issues. The other material is by a wide range of writers and artists. Harvey Pekar wrote a story in the latest issue.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM

Postby burlivesleftnut on Wed Nov 30, 2005 11:31 pm

So I finished this book. Well I actually finished it a couple of weeks ago. The story is definitely an interesting spin on Superman, but I have to say I was a little disappointed over all.

Basically the story follows in tandem the adventures of young Clark traveling the country with an on-the-run photographer who pissed off Lex Luthor... Lois Lane, intrepid cub reported... and Lex a politician in New York City. The book takes great pains to be real. Consider what it would be like if Clark crashed here and not in some version of our world where a city called Metropolis exists.

Without spoiling anything, the the climax was a little disappointing. Lex has a master plan which is really quite inventive, but we don't get to see any of it. So that kind of sucks.

Over all it was a good read. The final pages are breathtaking in the way they close out Clark and Lois' relationship.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby DennisMM on Fri Dec 02, 2005 1:31 pm

I've got this on order through a cooperating library. With luck, it should be here within 3 to 97 weeks (as they said on "MST3K").
DennisMM

Postby doglips on Sat Dec 03, 2005 6:48 am

ZombieZoneSolutions wrote:
burlivesleftnut wrote:I dunno. Why don't you check it out and lemme know.

it is indeed Chris Ware! i highly reccomed his comix work if you've never checked his stuff out. he did Acme Novelty Library and Jimmy Corrigan: The Smartest Kid On Earth. both of which are masterpieces which run the gamut from hilarious, to bizarre, to deeply depressing and insightful... he's a genius... bonafide!

Ware most certainly is a genius. This is my favourite of his compendium books. It's a look inside link so you can check out the graphic beauty of Ware's work.

Funny, melancholy and deeply effecting on many levels.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Re: Look, up in the sky!

Postby TheButcher on Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:02 pm

It's Superman
Coming of age in rural 1930s America with X-ray vision, the power to stop bullets, and the ability to fly isn’t exactly every boy’s story. So just how did Clark Kent, a shy farmer’s son, grow up to be the Man of Steel? Follow young Clark’s whirlwind journey from Kansas to New York City’s Daily Planet–by way Hollywood. This ace reporter is not the only person leading a double life in a teeming metropolis, just the only one able to leap tall buildings in a single bound–a skill that comes in handy when battling powerful criminal masterminds like scheming Lex Luthor and fascist robots. But can Clark’s Midwestern charm save the day and win the heart of stunning, seen-it-all newspaper woman Lois Lane? Or is it a job for Superman? Look deep into the soul of a pop-culture legend brilliantly reimagined in this novel, which is as inventive and thrilling as it is touching and wise.

This is the first Superhero production by Director Scott McCormick and Sound Designer Thomas Hogan. Producer Richard Rohan, who previously directed all of the GraphicAudio Superhero releases, says "A gloriously fun and often touching exploration of Superman’s earthly origins, given new freshness in the context of the American depression, the time period in which the character was conceived. It’s Superman! is filled with surprises, wild action and engaging characters, including a fascinating interpretation of Superman’s nemesis, Lex Luthor".

Talking Man of Steel with novelist, VCU professor Tom De Haven
VCU creative writing professor Tom De Haven’s talks about Superman’s history, why he wrote the 2005 novel, It’s Superman!, and how the Man of Tomorrow fits into the world of today.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Return to AICN Books