What Are You Reading?

This forum caters to our literary tastes.

Postby DaleTremont on Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:05 am

The Picture of Dorian Gray.

Now that Lord Henry Wotton- he was a glib motherfucker. I love Oscar Wilde but sometimes his philosophizing is just a tad too clever...I mean clever to the point of being nonsensical. His favorite devise seems to be re-ordering a sentence to create a reversal. You know, like, "Nothing can cure the soul but the senses, just as nothing can cure the senses but the soul."
I could be a philosopher too like that. Give me an assertion. Anything. I'll turn it right around on ya' and blow your mind.

No but fo' reals The Importance of Being Earnest makes me smile every time. Especially when it stars Joan Greenwood. She is sexy like a fox.

Oh wait wait. I have one. There is nothing so important as being earnest, just as there is nothing so earnest as being important.

See what I did there?
DaleTremont
Loincloth Bronson

Postby The Vicar on Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:58 am

Just received, thanks to the efforts of a good & thoughtful friend, the graphic novel of From Hell & Swamp Thing.

I cannot wait to dig into these darlings.

Crom bless Alan Moore......
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby DDMAN26 on Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:29 pm

The Art of The Incredibles by Mark Cotta Vaz and Give Me A Break by John Stossel
DDMAN26
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby CeeBeeUK on Sun Nov 11, 2007 8:18 pm

All Tomorrow's Parties by William Gibson.

First of his books I've read (!) and am impressed with the depths of the world he has created, without telling the reader everything.

I'll definitely be looking out some more of his work, any suggestions?
CeeBeeUK
WAIRWOLF GAME

Postby Ribbons on Sun Nov 11, 2007 8:25 pm

CeeBeeUK wrote:All Tomorrow's Parties by William Gibson.

First of his books I've read (!) and am impressed with the depths of the world he has created, without telling the reader everything.

I'll definitely be looking out some more of his work, any suggestions?

I've heard good things about Pattern Recognition and Neuromancer, though I can't say I've read any of his works all by lonesome.

Here's a sort-of thread about Gibson if you're looking for inspiration.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Wolfpack on Thu Nov 15, 2007 12:54 pm

The Eye of the World by Robert Jordan (R.I.P.). Maybe by the time I get through Knife of Dreams someone will have finished Book 12 for him.
"Alright Shaggy - you and Scooby head over that way. The girls and I will go this way."
Wolfpack
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby The Todd on Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:39 am

Currently paging through In Cold Blood (STILL!), Skeleton Crew (Man, I thought I had read this years ago, but then I realized I had never read The Mist), and just started I Am Legend.....

I also picked up and finished The Dark Tower: The Gunslinger Born, the trade hardcover of all 7 DT comics. Not too bad, but I was expecting new material and it was just pulled from Roland's backstory in Wizard And Glass.
i reject your reality and substitute my own
The Todd
AIRWOLF

Postby darkjedijaina on Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:50 am

The Todd wrote:Currently paging through In Cold Blood (STILL!)

Me too.
darkjedijaina
BAD ASH

Postby TheBaxter on Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:10 pm

i just started to read The Man Who Heard Voices, the m night shyamalan/lady in the water book. i don't know if i'm going to be able to finish it. i'm about 40-50 pages in, and the level of fawning by the author over night is just too annoying. i think if i see another bob dylan/michael jordan comparison, i'm going to scream at the book, throw it down on the floor, and then urinate on it. and i don't like reading books that smell like urine.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby minstrel on Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:25 pm

TheBaxter wrote:i just started to read The Man Who Heard Voices, the m night shyamalan/lady in the water book. i don't know if i'm going to be able to finish it. i'm about 40-50 pages in, and the level of fawning by the author over night is just too annoying. i think if i see another bob dylan/michael jordan comparison, i'm going to scream at the book, throw it down on the floor, and then urinate on it. and i don't like reading books that smell like urine.

The fawning goes away after a while. And there are some classic stories in there about that weirdo cinematographer. So keep going - it gets better!
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby Ribbons on Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:50 pm

minstrel wrote:
TheBaxter wrote:i just started to read The Man Who Heard Voices, the m night shyamalan/lady in the water book. i don't know if i'm going to be able to finish it. i'm about 40-50 pages in, and the level of fawning by the author over night is just too annoying. i think if i see another bob dylan/michael jordan comparison, i'm going to scream at the book, throw it down on the floor, and then urinate on it. and i don't like reading books that smell like urine.

The fawning goes away after a while. And there are some classic stories in there about that weirdo cinematographer. So keep going - it gets better!

Which cinematographer? Night's worked with a couple pretty famous ones. And what did he do? I must know!
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby TheBaxter on Thu Nov 22, 2007 1:43 am

minstrel wrote:

i hope so. if it keeps on like it's going, what a wasted opportunity. to be able to write about a very talented and successful director right in the middle of making his biggest flop. we shall see.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby minstrel on Thu Nov 22, 2007 2:08 am

Ribbons wrote:
minstrel wrote:

Which cinematographer? Night's worked with a couple pretty famous ones. And what did he do? I must know!

Christopher Doyle. Apparently, he was kind of nuts. He like to appear on the set and take all his clothes off in front of the women and try to work in the nude. Among other things ... I'll have to dig the book out and scan through it to remember much more of him. But he, uh, followed his own path, as it were.
minstrel

Postby minstrel on Thu Nov 22, 2007 2:10 am

TheBaxter wrote:
minstrel wrote:

i hope so. if it keeps on like it's going, what a wasted opportunity. to be able to write about a very talented and successful director right in the middle of making his biggest flop. we shall see.

There comes a point at which Night lets the book's author read the script, and his assessment is, well, not fawning. Not overly negative, but as I recall (I read the book a while ago), the tone becomes more critical after that.
minstrel

Postby Ribbons on Sun Nov 25, 2007 11:38 pm

Has anybody here read anything by Tanith Lee?

I'm reading a book of hers called Faces Under Water, which came recommended for its "dreamlike qualities," which of course got me all excited, because I love a good dream sequence in fiction. I'm pretty far into it now and I'm still not sure what to make of it. It's a fantasy, sort of, but most of the things that happen in the book aren't really fantastical. It's just that Lee has a very specific attention to detail that makes the events she describes seem very surreal.

The story itself takes place in Venus, which is basically an 18th-century version of Venice, only slightly askew. The main character, Furian, gets paid by a mad scientist to fish the canals for cadavers during Carnival. During this particular Carnival, Furian stumbles across a mask floating in the water that has some bizarre properties, which kicks off what is essentially a murder mystery, where he discovers that a collection of city potentates are using methods both crude and arcane to rub undesirables out, Hot Fuzz-style. A sample passage:

Furian was tired. He longed to sleep, and knew he would not do so, to attempt it would be foolish. Behind his own mask, that of a plain, grotesque white face with a long, pointing nose, he closed his eyes. The lamp shone on his lids as they passed beneath. And like the Bridge of Lies, was gone. It had been a fruitless night, from three o'clock searching the canals and pools of the island City for dead bodies to give to Doctor Shaachen. During the autumn carnival, there were often dead, usually murder victims, sometimes not even out in the water, let alone weighted down. Last year Furian had taken five in a night, one a young gallant who had been hanged from a lamp-standard, only his beautiful silver buckled shoes tip-toeing the canal.

My opinion of how this works overall is conflicted. Lee's style of writing is at once refreshing and kind of frustrating, and the narrative is so scenic and disorienting that you often don't realize right away that a lot of the clues and leads that Furian follows on his way to the truth are pretty flimsy. The baroque fantasy of the novel seems very much like an exercise in style as substance, perhaps to the detriment of what actual substance there is, but it's hard to tell which is more valuable to the story. Lee's got a pretty good knack for dialogue though, I'll give her that.

Anyway I'm sure we've got a goodly amount of fantasy readers all up in teh Zone, and since she's got almost 40 years of work behind her (and a best-selling series called "Flat Earth," apparently), I was wondering if anybody else has read stuff by her or might be interested in this.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby junesquad on Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:10 am

As soon as I am finished with classes, I am going to be finishing Wicked and buying Son of a Witch by Gregory Maquire.
Junesquad
junesquad
AIRWOLF

Postby thomasgaffney on Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:36 am

I just borrowed Ghost Story by Peter Straub and The Narrows by Michael Connelly.

Connelly isn't really my cup of tea, but I had The Poet recommended to me and it was okay. The Narrows is a sequel.
find me: twitter and goodreads
find my book: amazon
thomasgaffney
a might unpredictable

Postby junesquad on Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:48 am

I would also like to read Keith Ablow's Frank Clevenger series. I started Murder, Suicide last summer, but I didn't get a chance to finish it before I had to go back to school as it was a novel I found late in the summer.
Junesquad
junesquad
AIRWOLF

Postby Maui on Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:16 am

Ribbons wrote:Has anybody here read anything by Tanith Lee?

I'm reading a book of hers called Faces Under Water, which came recommended for its "dreamlike qualities," which of course got me all excited, because I love a good dream sequence in fiction. I'm pretty far into it now and I'm still not sure what to make of it. It's a fantasy, sort of, but most of the things that happen in the book aren't really fantastical. It's just that Lee has a very specific attention to detail that makes the events she describes seem very surreal.

The story itself takes place in Venus, which is basically an 18th-century version of Venice, only slightly askew. The main character, Furian, gets paid by a mad scientist to fish the canals for cadavers during Carnival. During this particular Carnival, Furian stumbles across a mask floating in the water that has some bizarre properties, which kicks off what is essentially a murder mystery, where he discovers that a collection of city potentates are using methods both crude and arcane to rub undesirables out, Hot Fuzz-style. A sample passage:

Furian was tired. He longed to sleep, and knew he would not do so, to attempt it would be foolish. Behind his own mask, that of a plain, grotesque white face with a long, pointing nose, he closed his eyes. The lamp shone on his lids as they passed beneath. And like the Bridge of Lies, was gone. It had been a fruitless night, from three o'clock searching the canals and pools of the island City for dead bodies to give to Doctor Shaachen. During the autumn carnival, there were often dead, usually murder victims, sometimes not even out in the water, let alone weighted down. Last year Furian had taken five in a night, one a young gallant who had been hanged from a lamp-standard, only his beautiful silver buckled shoes tip-toeing the canal.

My opinion of how this works overall is conflicted. Lee's style of writing is at once refreshing and kind of frustrating, and the narrative is so scenic and disorienting that you often don't realize right away that a lot of the clues and leads that Furian follows on his way to the truth are pretty flimsy. The baroque fantasy of the novel seems very much like an exercise in style as substance, perhaps to the detriment of what actual substance there is, but it's hard to tell which is more valuable to the story. Lee's got a pretty good knack for dialogue though, I'll give her that.

Anyway I'm sure we've got a goodly amount of fantasy readers all up in teh Zone, and since she's got almost 40 years of work behind her (and a best-selling series called "Flat Earth," apparently), I was wondering if anybody else has read stuff by her or might be interested in this.

Interesting Ribbons. Never read any of her stuff. Let me know once you're done if it's a worthwhile read. I have a general rule, if I'm 100 pages in and I'm still not sold - I trudge along with very little enthusiasm.
Maui
WoWie

Postby Dee E. Goppstober on Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:13 pm

I found an old copy of M*A*S*H in the hostel where I'm staying. I didn't even know it was originally a book - but apparently, before the series and te film- some guy named Richard Hooker wrote it.

It's nothing that special- but I enjoy it. I miss MASH. I miss Hawkeye and Radar and Hotlips... And the opening credits with the music and the helicopters...

I might just start crying in a minute.
Dee E. Goppstober
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby Wolfpack on Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:45 pm

Or you might just start buying the DVDs? :)
"Alright Shaggy - you and Scooby head over that way. The girls and I will go this way."
Wolfpack
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Dee E. Goppstober on Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:48 pm

:D Yes, that comes after the crying!
Dee E. Goppstober
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby Ribbons on Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:44 am

Maui wrote:
Ribbons wrote:Has anybody here read anything by Tanith Lee?

Interesting Ribbons. Never read any of her stuff. Let me know once you're done if it's a worthwhile read. I have a general rule, if I'm 100 pages in and I'm still not sold - I trudge along with very little enthusiasm.

It was okay. I'd actually say my enthusiasm started out high and then kind of waned during the course of the book. There's some good stuff in there: Lee's descriptive prose, a couple of story beats, some fun dialogue. It just didn't click like I thought it would. For one thing there was a love story, which ended up becoming THE story, that felt pretty forced. Talking about story beats, it's structured very much like a typical mystery/adventure novel, which compromises and is compromised by the author's prose. I know people say this a lot, but I'd say its problem was that it tried to do two different things and didn't really accomplish either well. A decent effort, but I don't know if I'd recommend it unless you're really into fantasy.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Maui on Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:39 am

Ribbons wrote:It was okay. I'd actually say my enthusiasm started out high and then kind of waned during the course of the book. There's some good stuff in there: Lee's descriptive prose, a couple of story beats, some fun dialogue. It just didn't click like I thought it would. For one thing there was a love story, which ended up becoming THE story, that felt pretty forced. Talking about story beats, it's structured very much like a typical mystery/adventure novel, which compromises and is compromised by the author's prose. I know people say this a lot, but I'd say its problem was that it tried to do two different things and didn't really accomplish either well. A decent effort, but I don't know if I'd recommend it unless you're really into fantasy.

Thanks for the 411 Ribbons. :)
Maui
WoWie

Postby TheBaxter on Fri Nov 30, 2007 2:41 pm

minstrel wrote:
TheBaxter wrote:
minstrel wrote:

There comes a point at which Night lets the book's author read the script, and his assessment is, well, not fawning. Not overly negative, but as I recall (I read the book a while ago), the tone becomes more critical after that.

i ended up finishing it. it wasn't really great or anything, he toned it down a bit but it was still too reverent in my opinion. even though he had a pretty negative opinion of the rough cut he eventually saw. i think the book was released before or at the same time as the movie, it would've been more interesting to see how the book would've turned out after the movie bombed, and see how that affected his perspective.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby thomasgaffney on Fri Nov 30, 2007 11:48 pm

I just picked up Dean Koontz's latest The Darkest Evening of the Year. But it'll be a while, probably, before I crack it open. Quite lately, though, the man has seemed to resurrect his writing career and is popping out some of his best work in years.
thomasgaffney
a might unpredictable

Postby thomasgaffney on Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:39 pm

I'm finishing up I Am Legend. Which I never knew was a novella until I picked up the book. Legend is easily the best of the short stories/novellas included, but I was shocked to find Prey. The basis for "The Doll", the third short in 1975's Trilogy of Terror about a tiny Zulu Warrior doll.....
thomasgaffney
a might unpredictable

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:40 pm

It's a the Karen Black a classic, no?
DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN

Postby thomasgaffney on Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:41 pm

DinoDeLaurentiis wrote:It's a the Karen Black a classic, no?

That it is.....
thomasgaffney
a might unpredictable

Postby Grandma 2Pay on Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:59 pm

Having a Healthy Sex Life in your 80s

I recommend this to all of you (once you get as old as me) there's still fire in granny's furnace, you know.
Grandma 2Pay
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby St. Alphonzo on Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:01 pm

eeew.
ImageImage
St. Alphonzo
Patron Saint

Postby RaulMonkey on Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:02 pm

Your av's too big you dithering old gentleman.
RaulMonkey
ZONE AMBASSADOR

Postby Grandma 2Pay on Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:03 pm

St. Alphonzo wrote:eeew.

Now listen sonny you too will find it difficult later on in life for the sail to stand tall so don't be making fun of Kirk's old granny now.
Grandma 2Pay
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby St. Alphonzo on Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:06 pm

Grandma 2Pay wrote:

Now listen sonny you too will find it difficult later on in life for the sail to stand tall so don't be making fun of Kirk's old granny now.

After that earlier visual my sail may never stand tall again!

Cocoon flashbacks...

[/threadjack]
ImageImage
St. Alphonzo
Patron Saint

Postby Mrs McClane on Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:21 pm

Currently reading: Preacher by Garth Ennis and Steve Dillon 8)

Yippe Ki Yay Motherf***er!
Mrs McClane
GLIB

Postby Grandma 2Pay on Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:21 pm

St. Alphonzo wrote:
Grandma 2Pay wrote:

Cocoon flashbacks...

[/threadjack]

Don Ameche always put stars in me eyes. what a glorious flashback.
Grandma 2Pay
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby papalazeru on Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:23 pm

Grandma 2Pay wrote:
St. Alphonzo wrote:
Grandma 2Pay wrote:

Cocoon flashbacks...

[/threadjack]

No...that'll be the Alzheimers medication kicking in.
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby Grandma 2Pay on Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:27 pm

papalazeru wrote:
Grandma 2Pay wrote:
St. Alphonzo wrote:
Grandma 2Pay wrote:

Cocoon flashbacks...

[/threadjack]

Kirk I forbid you to go out with this hooligan. Kids these days so disrespectful.
Grandma 2Pay
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby papalazeru on Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:28 pm

Grandma 2Pay wrote:
papalazeru wrote:
Grandma 2Pay wrote:
St. Alphonzo wrote:
Grandma 2Pay wrote:

Cocoon flashbacks...

[/threadjack]

Kirk I forbid you to go out with this hooligan. Kids these days so disrespectful.

Shaddap Grandma before I go fuck me your corpse.

papalazeru

Postby MadCapsule on Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:46 pm

Currently reading Shogun by James Clavell and The Collected Poems of W.B. Yeats.
MadCapsule
SUSAN CAGLE

Postby Maui on Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:50 pm

MadCapsule wrote:Currently reading Shogun by James Clavell and The Collected Poems of W.B. Yeats.

Oh good stuff - Shogun was great. I love Clavell. Have you also read Noble House and Gai Jin?
Maui
WoWie

Postby MadCapsule on Tue Dec 11, 2007 5:02 pm

Maui wrote:
MadCapsule wrote:Currently reading Shogun by James Clavell and The Collected Poems of W.B. Yeats.

Oh good stuff - Shogun was great. I love Clavell. Have you also read Noble House and Gai Jin?

No, I haven't. Shogun is my first exposure to Clavell. Do Noble House and Gai Jin tie-in to Shogun at all?
MadCapsule
SUSAN CAGLE

Postby Maui on Tue Dec 11, 2007 5:09 pm

MadCapsule wrote:
Maui wrote:

No, I haven't. Shogun is my first exposure to Clavell. Do Noble House and Gai Jin tie-in to Shogun at all?

Well there are 6 books in total - Clavell's Asian Saga.

Shogun
Tai Pan
Gai Jin
King Rat
Noble House
Whirlwind

Not necessarily tie ins (if my feeble mind can remember) some good historical accuracies though in his books with great storylines.

If you get a chance and I don't even know if it's on DVD - there was a Shogun miniseries with Richard Chamberlain. Worth viewing.
Maui
WoWie

Postby MadCapsule on Tue Dec 11, 2007 5:20 pm

Maui wrote:
MadCapsule wrote:
Maui wrote:

Well there are 6 books in total - Clavell's Asian Saga.

Shogun
Tai Pan
Gai Jin
King Rat
Noble House
Whirlwind

Not necessarily tie ins (if my feeble mind can remember) some good historical accuracies though in his books with great storylines.

If you get a chance and I don't even know if it's on DVD - there was a Shogun miniseries with Richard Chamberlain. Worth viewing.

Six? Oh god! Lemme guess, they're phone book-sized like Shogun, aren't they?

Yeah, I remember the mini-series from when I was a kid, but I don't recall ever seeing it. I only know that it exists.
MadCapsule
SUSAN CAGLE

Postby Grandma 2Pay on Tue Dec 11, 2007 5:21 pm

papalazeru wrote:Shaddap Grandma before I go fuck me your corpse.

Do any of you sweeties know if there is a feature where I can ignore this rude, crude and socially unattractive vermin?
Grandma 2Pay
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby papalazeru on Tue Dec 11, 2007 5:23 pm

Grandma 2Pay wrote:

Do any of you sweeties know if there is a feature where I can ignore this rude, crude and socially unattractive vermin?

yeah. It's called foreplay.

papalazeru

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Tue Dec 11, 2007 5:26 pm

Grandma 2Pay wrote:

Blimey, all the times that I gotta help out my old family members when they can't work their blinkin' computer!!!!

Granny!!! Here!!! - Just Press this.......... Image
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby papalazeru on Tue Dec 11, 2007 5:28 pm

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:
Grandma 2Pay wrote:
Granny!!! Here!!! - Just Press this.......... Image

yeah. You press that granny while I ring your bell.

papalazeru

Postby Grandma 2Pay on Tue Dec 11, 2007 5:29 pm

ok well then dear I'm sorry that you feel so hostile today.

Grab yourself a cup a tea dear, chamomille soothes the nerves.

I notice you follow Kirk around like a puppy dog here. Is there a reason for that sonny?
Grandma 2Pay
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby papalazeru on Tue Dec 11, 2007 5:30 pm

Grandma 2Pay wrote:ok well then dear I'm sorry that you feel so hostile today.

Grab yourself a cup a tea dear, chamomille soothes the nerves.

I notice you follow Kirk around like a puppy dog here. Is there a reason for that sonny?

Yeah. I'm looking for any chance to slip you the Rohypnol and steal your social security.

papalazeru

PreviousNext

Return to AICN Books