What Are You Reading?

This forum caters to our literary tastes.

Re: What Are You Reading?

Postby Bloo on Sat Jul 25, 2009 3:13 am

Maui wrote:
Bloo wrote:what do you think so far, I thought the first 2 books were good, but they feel self containted, about book 3 is where I think the whole mythology really starts to kick in


Yeah, I'd have to agree that with Club Dead (book 3) things really start to pick up with the storyline and introduction of new characters and different mythical creatures. I must say I really enjoyed all the stuff with Eric and Sookie...FINALLY.... and now Eric can't remember a bloody thing of their rendezvous...geez! :evil: I find it interesting that the shifters at Hotshot are inbred and even more interesting that Jason is now a were-panther.

FYI: I saw that Charlaine Harris is at Comic-Con today signing books, as well there is a True Blood panel tomorrow night. :( Oh well.


one of these years I'm going to go to comic-con--but it'll probably be long after it's cool to go to comic con (when Twilight is done?)
Image
User avatar
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN
 
Posts: 9668
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2007 4:26 pm
Location: Kansas, home of the Bacon Explosion

Re: What Are You Reading?

Postby Maui on Sat Jul 25, 2009 1:10 pm

Bloo wrote:
one of these years I'm going to go to comic-con--but it'll probably be long after it's cool to go to comic con (when Twilight is done?)


:lol:

I plan on going next year with a group of friends. Yeah long lineups and not getting in to see your favourite panel. :?
User avatar
Maui
WoWie
 
Posts: 7608
Joined: Fri May 11, 2007 10:19 pm

Re: What Are You Reading?

Postby Raziel on Fri Jul 31, 2009 7:00 pm

Patricia Cornwell's Jack The Ripper - Case Closed. Very interesting, but she seems to jump to conclusions a little bit occasionally, in charging artist Walter Sickert with the Ripper's crimes.
User avatar
Raziel
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD
 
Posts: 150
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:44 am
Location: Dublin, Ireland.

Re: What Are You Reading?

Postby Bloo on Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:27 pm

Raziel wrote:Patricia Cornwell's Jack The Ripper - Case Closed. Very interesting, but she seems to jump to conclusions a little bit occasionally, in charging artist Walter Sickert with the Ripper's crimes.


my roommate has that book I need to read it sometime, it always looked interesting
Image
User avatar
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN
 
Posts: 9668
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2007 4:26 pm
Location: Kansas, home of the Bacon Explosion

Re: What Are You Reading?

Postby Maui on Sat Aug 01, 2009 12:07 am

I've finished all 7 books from the Southern Vampire Series box set. I now need to pick up the last two: From Dead To Worse (book 8) and Dead and Gone (book 9).

I have some minor nits with the author's writing style but overall these are fun whodunnits.
User avatar
Maui
WoWie
 
Posts: 7608
Joined: Fri May 11, 2007 10:19 pm

Re: What Are You Reading?

Postby Bloo on Sat Aug 01, 2009 1:05 am

Maui wrote:I've finished all 7 books from the Southern Vampire Series box set. I now need to pick up the last two: From Dead To Worse (book 8) and Dead and Gone (book 9).

I have some minor nits with the author's writing style but overall these are fun whodunnits.


yeah her style isn't the greatest but I like the ideas she introduces and her mythology...that and for awhile it seems like Sookie was falling into the solutions to the mysteries rather then solving them
Image
User avatar
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN
 
Posts: 9668
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2007 4:26 pm
Location: Kansas, home of the Bacon Explosion

Re: What Are You Reading?

Postby Raziel on Sat Aug 01, 2009 2:07 am

Bloo wrote:my roommate has that book I need to read it sometime, it always looked interesting


Yeah, it's a good read so far. I'm just a little skeptical of some of her analysis!
User avatar
Raziel
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD
 
Posts: 150
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:44 am
Location: Dublin, Ireland.

Re: What Are You Reading?

Postby MadCapsule on Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:49 pm

I just finished The Zombie Survival Guide. That was a fun read. I loved the anti-mullet illustration!

Just started Narcissus and Goldmund by Herman Hesse. Holy homo-erotica, Batman!
User avatar
MadCapsule
SUSAN CAGLE
 
Posts: 716
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2005 6:53 am
Location: Chicago, IL

Re: What Are You Reading?

Postby Maui on Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:29 am

I finished reading The Rum Diary by Hunter S. Thompson, which I thoroughly enjoyed. I also finished Philip Roth's Kepesh series which consists of: The Breast, The Professor of Desire, and The Dying Animal. What can I say that hasn't already been said about Philip Roth, his writing is simply brilliant. He is one of my favourite authors.

I plan on starting All the Pretty Horses by Cormac McCarthy in the next day or so.
User avatar
Maui
WoWie
 
Posts: 7608
Joined: Fri May 11, 2007 10:19 pm

Re: What Are You Reading?

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:32 am

I forgot that I bought Public Enemies. I should probably get around to reading that. After I'm done with Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy. And Get Shorty. And that Dean Koontz book. And Just After Sunset. And Duma Key. And that Zombie Survival Guide thing.
Image
User avatar
caruso_stalker217
TOO AGED FOR THIS MALARKEY
 
Posts: 9921
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2007 6:03 pm
Location: Oregon, US of A

Re: What Are You Reading?

Postby Bloo on Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:16 pm

Elmore Leonard PAGAN BABIES
Image
User avatar
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN
 
Posts: 9668
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2007 4:26 pm
Location: Kansas, home of the Bacon Explosion

Re: What Are You Reading?

Postby stereosforgeeks on Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:29 pm

Just finished up Heinlein's Time Enough For Love and Stanislaw Lem's The Cyberiad just in time for INHERENT VICE!

Ive been able to do a lot more reading since I now am on the train 2 hours a day commuting to work.
User avatar
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound
 
Posts: 7857
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:46 pm
Location: DCish

Re: What Are You Reading?

Postby minstrel on Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:08 pm

stereosforgeeks wrote:Just finished up Heinlein's Time Enough For Love and Stanislaw Lem's The Cyberiad just in time for INHERENT VICE!

Ive been able to do a lot more reading since I now am on the train 2 hours a day commuting to work.


What did you think of Time Enough For Love? I tried to read that when I was a teenager (and a major Heinlein fan!) and couldn't stomach it. It seemed to me that Alzheimer's was setting in to Mr. Heinlein. I threw the damn book into the damn fireplace and burned it. I've only done that to maybe two books in my life! (The other was some sort of Doc Savage pulp shit ... don't ask.)
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
User avatar
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency
 
Posts: 12634
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:03 pm
Location: Area 52

Re: What Are You Reading?

Postby stereosforgeeks on Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:22 pm

minstrel wrote:
stereosforgeeks wrote:Just finished up Heinlein's Time Enough For Love and Stanislaw Lem's The Cyberiad just in time for INHERENT VICE!

Ive been able to do a lot more reading since I now am on the train 2 hours a day commuting to work.


What did you think of Time Enough For Love? I tried to read that when I was a teenager (and a major Heinlein fan!) and couldn't stomach it. It seemed to me that Alzheimer's was setting in to Mr. Heinlein. I threw the damn book into the damn fireplace and burned it. I've only done that to maybe two books in my life! (The other was some sort of Doc Savage pulp shit ... don't ask.)


Heinlein is a bit too long winded/verbose in some of his stories in the book but overall i felt it was a good way for him to lay out lots of his thoughts/ideals.

Ive read lots of old reviews where lots of people have dismissed it due to the frank and odd sexual behavior in the book (according to our values) but i never found it to be anything that didnt make sense in the world Heinlein created.

It is definitely not a book for a teenager. I definitely wouldnt have liked it then but now that I am older I can appreciate what Heinlein was attempting.
User avatar
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound
 
Posts: 7857
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:46 pm
Location: DCish

Re: What Are You Reading?

Postby Maui on Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:32 am

Angle of Repose by Wallace Stegner. It's an extremely well written book that mixes both history and fiction.

1972 Pulitzer winner.
User avatar
Maui
WoWie
 
Posts: 7608
Joined: Fri May 11, 2007 10:19 pm

Re: What Are You Reading?

Postby TheButcher on Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:34 pm

Bloo wrote:Get Shorty is really good, and the sequel is good too, Be Cool--a lot better then the movie

I liked both versions of Get Shorty.

I'm reading The Strain.
User avatar
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR
 
Posts: 17418
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 7:02 am
Location: The Bureau of Sabotage

Re: What Are You Reading?

Postby Fievel on Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:44 pm

Bloo wrote:Elmore Leonard PAGAN BABIES



I heart Elmore Leonard.
I thought Pagan Babies was decent - nothing that rocked my world but I enjoyed the time I spent with it.
But I also listened to the audiobook that Steven Buscemi read, so I had that going for (against?) me.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
User avatar
Fievel
Mouse Of The House
 
Posts: 12148
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:07 pm
Location: White Lake, MI

Re: What Are You Reading?

Postby Bloo on Sat Aug 22, 2009 2:40 am

Fievel wrote:
Bloo wrote:Elmore Leonard PAGAN BABIES



I heart Elmore Leonard.
I thought Pagan Babies was decent - nothing that rocked my world but I enjoyed the time I spent with it.
But I also listened to the audiobook that Steven Buscemi read, so I had that going for (against?) me.


I heart Elmore Leonard too

I hadn't read it in awhile and when I first read it I wasn't feeling it but this 2nd reading i'm picking up more and more...I don't know it almost seems more sublte in some places
Image
User avatar
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN
 
Posts: 9668
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2007 4:26 pm
Location: Kansas, home of the Bacon Explosion

Re: What Are You Reading?

Postby Bloo on Sun Aug 23, 2009 2:47 am

Maui, heads up Charlene Harris' latest Sookie book is the short story collection "A Touch of Dead" releasing on Oct. 6th

Amazon sent me a notification about it
Image
User avatar
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN
 
Posts: 9668
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2007 4:26 pm
Location: Kansas, home of the Bacon Explosion

Re: What Are You Reading?

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Sun Aug 23, 2009 4:20 am

Picked up Pride and Prejudice and Zombies which I should be able to read quickly. I feel like a fucking fraud for not having read the actual Pride and Prejudice though.
Image
User avatar
caruso_stalker217
TOO AGED FOR THIS MALARKEY
 
Posts: 9921
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2007 6:03 pm
Location: Oregon, US of A

Re: What Are You Reading?

Postby Maui on Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:36 pm

Bloo wrote:Maui, heads up Charlene Harris' latest Sookie book is the short story collection "A Touch of Dead" releasing on Oct. 6th

Amazon sent me a notification about it


Ah, well done Bloo. Thanks for the heads up! :D

I want to know which vampire Niall (her great grandfather/fairy) preferred, Eric or Bill. Talk about a maddening way to end book 9.
User avatar
Maui
WoWie
 
Posts: 7608
Joined: Fri May 11, 2007 10:19 pm

Re: What Are You Reading?

Postby Bloo on Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:36 pm

Maui wrote:
Bloo wrote:Maui, heads up Charlene Harris' latest Sookie book is the short story collection "A Touch of Dead" releasing on Oct. 6th

Amazon sent me a notification about it


Ah, well done Bloo. Thanks for the heads up! :D

I want to know which vampire Niall (her great grandfather/fairy) preferred, Eric or Bill. Talk about a maddening way to end book 9.


I KNOW! me too...but part of me keeps hoping Sookie and Sam end up togather, or that someone good comes into Sam's life

and no problem and the heads up, I've got it on my wish list already and thought you'd want to know
Image
User avatar
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN
 
Posts: 9668
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2007 4:26 pm
Location: Kansas, home of the Bacon Explosion

Re: What Are You Reading?

Postby MadCapsule on Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:41 pm

I'm currently reading Stephen King's Wizard and Glass. I thought it might be a little tedious because I have already read the graphic novel adaptation of it, but there's obviously so much more detail in the original book that I hardly even notice the fact that I know how it ends.
User avatar
MadCapsule
SUSAN CAGLE
 
Posts: 716
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2005 6:53 am
Location: Chicago, IL

Re: What Are You Reading?

Postby Maui on Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:00 pm

I just finished Infidel by Ayaan Hirsi Ali. I don't often read autobiographies but this memoir is both fascinating and heart-wrenching.

Everyman by Philip Roth. I really enjoyed this book and even recommended it to my Mom (which she loved btw). She told me the other day that it so accurately captures getting old, illness, family ties, and marriage in a very thoughtful and heartfelt way. One thing that Roth excels at is examining the human nature. Some may consider this book a downer but it's life.

My book club selection for September is Three Cups of Tea by Greg Mortenson and David Oliver Relin, which I've just started.
User avatar
Maui
WoWie
 
Posts: 7608
Joined: Fri May 11, 2007 10:19 pm

Re: What Are You Reading?

Postby Maui on Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:20 pm

Just finished reading Philip K. Dick's Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep, which I thoroughly enjoyed. This is my very first PKD book and certainly won't be my last. Any recommendations on any of his other writings?

Amsterdam, a Booker Prize winner by Ian McEwan. This book is both funny and lethal.

I've also started another of McEwan's books, On Chesil Beach.
User avatar
Maui
WoWie
 
Posts: 7608
Joined: Fri May 11, 2007 10:19 pm

Re: What Are You Reading?

Postby Bloo on Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:43 pm

Maui wrote:Just finished reading Philip K. Dick's Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep, which I thoroughly enjoyed. This is my very first PKD book and certainly won't be my last. Any recommendations on any of his other writings?

Amsterdam, a Booker Prize winner by Ian McEwan. This book is both funny and lethal.

I've also started another of McEwan's books, On Chesil Beach.


the PKD short story collection I really enjoyed was the one with MINORITY REPORT, which I picked up right before the movie was released and have subsequently lost
Image
User avatar
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN
 
Posts: 9668
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2007 4:26 pm
Location: Kansas, home of the Bacon Explosion

Re: What Are You Reading?

Postby Maui on Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:53 pm

Bloo wrote:
Maui wrote:Just finished reading Philip K. Dick's Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep, which I thoroughly enjoyed. This is my very first PKD book and certainly won't be my last. Any recommendations on any of his other writings?

Amsterdam, a Booker Prize winner by Ian McEwan. This book is both funny and lethal.

I've also started another of McEwan's books, On Chesil Beach.


the PKD short story collection I really enjoyed was the one with MINORITY REPORT, which I picked up right before the movie was released and have subsequently lost


Cool. I'll check this out at the library. I don't buy books anymore. I ran out of shelving. ;)
User avatar
Maui
WoWie
 
Posts: 7608
Joined: Fri May 11, 2007 10:19 pm

Re: What Are You Reading?

Postby Pacino86845 on Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:41 pm

Maui wrote:
Bloo wrote:
Maui wrote:Just finished reading Philip K. Dick's Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep, which I thoroughly enjoyed. This is my very first PKD book and certainly won't be my last. Any recommendations on any of his other writings?

Amsterdam, a Booker Prize winner by Ian McEwan. This book is both funny and lethal.

I've also started another of McEwan's books, On Chesil Beach.


the PKD short story collection I really enjoyed was the one with MINORITY REPORT, which I picked up right before the movie was released and have subsequently lost


Cool. I'll check this out at the library. I don't buy books anymore. I ran out of shelving. ;)


A Scanner Darkly is brilliant IMO, so is the film in case you haven't seen it yet.

Otherwise you can't really go wrong with The Man in the High Castle.

I can also recommend VALIS, but with a disclaimer: that book is a proper head-fuck, but interesting as all hell.

I haven't read Androids yet, but I think I'll get to it after I'm done with The Alchemist (which is what I'm reading right now, damn this is a quick read, and brilliant book).

I was stuck on Neal Stephenson's Quicksilver (the first three books of the Baroque Cycle) for a while now... the first book was easy enough to get through, the second one (King of Vagabonds or something) a bit less so, but I've nearly completely lost interest by the time I started Odalisque... so I think I am coming off my Neal Stephenson kick, which had started with Cryptonomicon and continued with Snow Crash. I'm not sure I'll even finish Quicksilver at this point.

Not long ago I started Children of the Alley by Naguib Mahfouz, but I was reading it at the same time as Quicksilver so somewhere along the line I put it down without finishing it. I'll probably pick it up again soon to get through it, the stories inside it are only loosely related... essentially it is a reimagining of some biblical stories set in Egyptian slums. Very interesting take on religious myths without being insulting IMO.
User avatar
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER
 
Posts: 14064
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:20 am

Re: What Are You Reading?

Postby stereosforgeeks on Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:19 pm

Pacino86845 wrote:I can also recommend VALIS, but with a disclaimer: that book is a proper head-fuck, but interesting as all hell.


I LOVE VALIS. I definitely plan on re-reading many times. I am sure with each reading I will gain greater insight into the book.
User avatar
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound
 
Posts: 7857
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:46 pm
Location: DCish

Re: What Are You Reading?

Postby Pacino86845 on Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:39 pm

I would like to see some of the research PKD did for the material in Valis... or a comprehensive version of the Exegesis with references or something.

And I just discovered this interesting little item... one of my favorite comic artists (Crumb) does a mini-biography of one of my favorite writers (Dick)
User avatar
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER
 
Posts: 14064
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:20 am

Re: What Are You Reading?

Postby Maui on Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:41 pm

Pacino86845 wrote:
A Scanner Darkly is brilliant IMO, so is the film in case you haven't seen it yet.

Otherwise you can't really go wrong with The Man in the High Castle.

I can also recommend VALIS, but with a disclaimer: that book is a proper head-fuck, but interesting as all hell.

I haven't read Androids yet, but I think I'll get to it after I'm done with The Alchemist (which is what I'm reading right now, damn this is a quick read, and brilliant book).

I was stuck on Neal Stephenson's Quicksilver (the first three books of the Baroque Cycle) for a while now... the first book was easy enough to get through, the second one (King of Vagabonds or something) a bit less so, but I've nearly completely lost interest by the time I started Odalisque... so I think I am coming off my Neal Stephenson kick, which had started with Cryptonomicon and continued with Snow Crash. I'm not sure I'll even finish Quicksilver at this point.


Thanks for the PKD recommendations. The library only had Flow My Tears, The Policeman Said, so I grabbed that. I've got the other 3 on hold. Going through a bit of a SciFi binge at the moment. I'd also be interested in hearing your recommendations on William Gibson. I've yet to read any of his stuff and I probably should.


I finished reading Ian McEwan's On Chesil Beach. A very sad tale of a newlywed couple (both virgins) on their wedding night. Needless to say, it didn't go so well. Beautifully written, McEwan delves into the lives of Florence and Edward, their upbringing, how they met, their longingness for each other and the very difficult emotional obstacles for Florence, that prevent their marriage from becoming a success. A superb read.

I've started Portnoy's Complaint by Philip Roth. It's hilarious. I don't recall a book making me laugh out loud this much. Roth has a very comedic approach to sexual desire and frustration.
User avatar
Maui
WoWie
 
Posts: 7608
Joined: Fri May 11, 2007 10:19 pm

Re: What Are You Reading?

Postby stereosforgeeks on Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:52 pm

Maui wrote:
Pacino86845 wrote:
A Scanner Darkly is brilliant IMO, so is the film in case you haven't seen it yet.

Otherwise you can't really go wrong with The Man in the High Castle.

I can also recommend VALIS, but with a disclaimer: that book is a proper head-fuck, but interesting as all hell.

I haven't read Androids yet, but I think I'll get to it after I'm done with The Alchemist (which is what I'm reading right now, damn this is a quick read, and brilliant book).

I was stuck on Neal Stephenson's Quicksilver (the first three books of the Baroque Cycle) for a while now... the first book was easy enough to get through, the second one (King of Vagabonds or something) a bit less so, but I've nearly completely lost interest by the time I started Odalisque... so I think I am coming off my Neal Stephenson kick, which had started with Cryptonomicon and continued with Snow Crash. I'm not sure I'll even finish Quicksilver at this point.


Thanks for the PKD recommendations. The library only had Flow My Tears, The Policeman Said, so I grabbed that. I've got the other 3 on hold. Going through a bit of a SciFi binge at the moment. I'd also be interested in hearing your recommendations on William Gibson. I've yet to read any of his stuff and I probably should.


I finished reading Ian McEwan's On Chesil Beach. A very sad tale of a newlywed couple (both virgins) on their wedding night. Needless to say, it didn't go so well. Beautifully written, McEwan delves into the lives of Florence and Edward, their upbringing, how they met, their longingness for each other and the very difficult emotional obstacles for Florence, that prevent their marriage from becoming a success. A superb read.

I've started Portnoy's Complaint by Philip Roth. It's hilarious. I don't recall a book making me laugh out loud this much. Roth has a very comedic approach to sexual desire and frustration.


The best way to start with Gibson is probably his short story collection Burning Chrome and then onto Neuromancer.
User avatar
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound
 
Posts: 7857
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:46 pm
Location: DCish

Re: What Are You Reading?

Postby Maui on Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:54 pm

stereosforgeeks wrote:The best way to start with Gibson is probably his short story collection Burning Chrome and then onto Neuromancer.


Yeah, I was thinking of Neuromancer as a good start. Thx SFG!
User avatar
Maui
WoWie
 
Posts: 7608
Joined: Fri May 11, 2007 10:19 pm

Re: What Are You Reading?

Postby stereosforgeeks on Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:08 pm

Maui wrote:
stereosforgeeks wrote:The best way to start with Gibson is probably his short story collection Burning Chrome and then onto Neuromancer.


Yeah, I was thinking of Neuromancer as a good start. Thx SFG!


Those are the only two Gibsons I have read actually. People tend to either love or hate his cyberpunk tales.

I should finish Underworld next week and then I am not sure what will be next.
User avatar
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound
 
Posts: 7857
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:46 pm
Location: DCish

Re: What Are You Reading?

Postby Pacino86845 on Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:53 pm

I am not yet versed in William Gibson, but Neuromancer is certainly on the long long list of books I want to read.

Right now I am reading Zero: The Biography of a Dangerous Idea and Games and Decisions, which is a lightly mathematical introduction to Game Theory (it's an old book, apparently John Nash used it to teach his class at MIT).
User avatar
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER
 
Posts: 14064
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:20 am

Re: What Are You Reading?

Postby Leckomaniac on Thu Sep 03, 2009 3:58 pm

I am currently revisiting some of my favorite Dickens books.

I just finished A Tale of Two Cities and have begun Great Expectations.

When I finish that, I have a Russian tour lines up: Lolita, Pale Fire, and Crime & Punishment.
Image
User avatar
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 11031
Joined: Sat Aug 13, 2005 9:32 pm
Location: Chicago, IL

Re: What Are You Reading?

Postby Bob Samonkey on Thu Sep 03, 2009 4:35 pm

I have run out of books here and am too lazy to go to the library so I have raided my 13 year old daughters room. So I am reading the Pretties series by Scott Westerfeld. Yeah yeah. I know...
User avatar
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste
 
Posts: 8982
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2005 9:49 pm
Location: Samonkey Island

Re: What Are You Reading?

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Thu Sep 03, 2009 5:27 pm

I've got the second John Carter book on the nightstand with Jeffrey Eugenides' Middlesex lined up to be next. I enjoyed The Virgin Suicides like few other books and am really looking forward to it.
Image
User avatar
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 3955
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 3:33 am
Location: Northern Frontier

Re: What Are You Reading?

Postby Leckomaniac on Thu Sep 03, 2009 5:28 pm

Tyrone_Shoelaces wrote:I've got the second John Carter book on the nightstand with Jeffrey Eugenides' Middlesex lined up to be next. I enjoyed The Virgin Suicides like few other books and am really looking forward to it.


I was rather bored with Middlesex. Finishing that book was such a labor.
Image
User avatar
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 11031
Joined: Sat Aug 13, 2005 9:32 pm
Location: Chicago, IL

Re: What Are You Reading?

Postby Al Shut on Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:26 pm

Started my umpteenth try to read Barkers Imajica.

20o pages or so in and I have the suspicion this one won't last long either.
Note to myself: Fix this image shit!
User avatar
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER
 
Posts: 6226
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 1:57 pm
Location: Oberhausen, Germany

Re: What Are You Reading?

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Sun Sep 06, 2009 3:14 pm

Al Shut wrote:Started my umpteenth try to read Barkers Imajica.

20o pages or so in and I have the suspicion this one won't last long either.

A friend of mine couldn't get through that book either and was amazed that I had. I'm guessing you lose interest about the time they walk through the mountains. The middle of that book is the toughest part. Get through that and the end picks up and moves rather briskly.
Image
User avatar
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 3955
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 3:33 am
Location: Northern Frontier

Re: What Are You Reading?

Postby Bloo on Sun Sep 06, 2009 3:24 pm

THE MIRACLE OF ST. ANTHONY-Adrian Wojnarowski

THE SUNSET LIMITED- Cormac McCarthy
Image
User avatar
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN
 
Posts: 9668
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2007 4:26 pm
Location: Kansas, home of the Bacon Explosion

Re: What Are You Reading?

Postby Maui on Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:55 pm

Pacino86845 wrote:
A Scanner Darkly is brilliant IMO, so is the film in case you haven't seen it yet.


Indeed, I thought the book was excellent and Linklater's animated film is an impressive adaptation. It certainly picked up the vibe from the book.
User avatar
Maui
WoWie
 
Posts: 7608
Joined: Fri May 11, 2007 10:19 pm

Re: What Are You Reading?

Postby Pacino86845 on Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:27 am

Holy crap you don't waste any time do you!? :D

I'm glad you liked it! Based on the dedication in the book, you get the feeling that it was a very personal work for PKD, and it's exemplified all throughout. Poor Bob Arctor... I saw the movie first and the end made me wanna weep!
User avatar
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER
 
Posts: 14064
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:20 am

Re: What Are You Reading?

Postby Al Shut on Mon Sep 07, 2009 6:07 am

Tyrone_Shoelaces wrote:
Al Shut wrote:Started my umpteenth try to read Barkers Imajica.

20o pages or so in and I have the suspicion this one won't last long either.

A friend of mine couldn't get through that book either and was amazed that I had. I'm guessing you lose interest about the time they walk through the mountains. The middle of that book is the toughest part. Get through that and the end picks up and moves rather briskly.


Very true, but i seem to remeber vaguely that I got past the mountains and interest didn't come back. I'll see how it will turn out this time.
Note to myself: Fix this image shit!
User avatar
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER
 
Posts: 6226
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 1:57 pm
Location: Oberhausen, Germany

Re: What Are You Reading?

Postby Maui on Mon Sep 07, 2009 1:25 pm

Pacino86845 wrote:Holy crap you don't waste any time do you!? :D

I'm glad you liked it! Based on the dedication in the book, you get the feeling that it was a very personal work for PKD, and it's exemplified all throughout. Poor Bob Arctor... I saw the movie first and the end made me wanna weep!



I watched the film the same day I finished the book. The ending did make me weep. For sure the story is very near and dear to PKD's heart - he includes his friends (and himself) affected by the establishment and drug abuse both at the end of the book and at the end of the film. I was really impressed with the film. RDJ was amazing as Barris and as much as I'm not too keen on Reeves, he did a decent job of portraying Bob/Fred/Bruce. The opening scene with Freck and the aphids - perfect. The scramble suits - I had an idea of what I envisioned them looking like but I really dug how the suits continually morphed into different people. The final scene where we see Bruce in the field - extremely powerful. :(

Anyways, awesome recommendation. I loved the book, I've read 3 PKD books so far and this is my favourite.
User avatar
Maui
WoWie
 
Posts: 7608
Joined: Fri May 11, 2007 10:19 pm

Re: What Are You Reading?

Postby The Vicar on Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:27 pm

I'll get some shit for saying it, but I loves me some Dick.
Would have loved to have met the man.
.
........................................
Image
User avatar
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone
 
Posts: 16179
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:21 am

Re: What Are You Reading?

Postby DennisMM on Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:30 pm

The book I was reading was taken away from me by the library! Someone else needed it, and I'd had it for six months without doing more than cracking it, so I had to give it up. That was The Lolita Effect, about the sexualization of young girls. It's of particular interest given the way I've seen my seven-year-old niece dress and act, both of which are considered perfectly normal today.

I'm nursing my wounds with some easy reading, The Outer Limits Companion. Boy, were the producers of that program full of themselves. They thought they were creating great, philosophical drama rather than middling-to-intriguing sf and horror. It was a good program, but let's not overthink it!

Next "real" book is probably Barbara Ehrenreich's Bait and Switch, about how middle-class America has been facing downward mobility since the beginning of the Bush years (and, to an extent, before then).
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING
 
Posts: 16808
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:02 pm
Location: Watchin' the reels go 'round and 'round

Re: What Are You Reading?

Postby Bloo on Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:34 pm

that LOLITA EFFECT book sounds interesting I may have to check it out thanks for the tip

I just finished THE MIRACLE OF ST. ANTHONY which I found very readable, probably my 2nd favorite book about sports after IT'S NOT ABOUT THE TRUTH...which I haven't read in awhile, might have to crack that one open again
Image
User avatar
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN
 
Posts: 9668
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2007 4:26 pm
Location: Kansas, home of the Bacon Explosion

Re: What Are You Reading?

Postby Al Shut on Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:26 pm

So Imajica really got better to the point where I could finish the book but not enough to make me like it. Not enough real world for my taste.
Note to myself: Fix this image shit!
User avatar
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER
 
Posts: 6226
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 1:57 pm
Location: Oberhausen, Germany

PreviousNext

Return to AICN Books

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron