What Are You Reading?

This forum caters to our literary tastes.

Re: What Are You Reading?

Postby Al Shut on Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:55 pm

So now I'm trying to reread another book where I vaguely remember loosing interest half way through

The Narrative of Arthur Gordon Pym of Nantucket
Note to myself: Fix this image shit!
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby Maui on Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:30 pm

I went through a Dennis Lehane binge recently which entailed reading: Shutter Island, Sacred, Darkness Take my Hand, and Prayers for Rain. All of these books, except for Shutter Island, have the private detective teaming of Patrick Kenzie and Angie Gennaro. Fun mysteries and light reads.

I'm now reading The Birth House which is a debut novel by Canadian author Ami McKay, so far it's excellent. I've also picked up Duma Key by Stephen King and The Blind Assassin by Margaret Atwood.

I've become one of those creepy people that hang out at the library. 8-)
Maui
WoWie

Postby Pacino86845 on Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:05 pm

The Blind Assassin is probably my favorite Atwood book... I thought you'd read it already? :?

And how was Shutter Island, do you think Scorsese is right for the material? Can you tell from the trailer whether he's got the tone/story right? Is it a worthy read? REVIEW! :D
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Maui on Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:00 am

I think the film is going to be amazing simply because Scorsese is at the helm. He's definitely captured the dark, suspenseful and psychological aspects of the book in the trailer. We've got the isolated island, the raging hurricane, the mental hospital along with it's freaky patients, etc. I think the trailer looks fantastic. I was a big fan of Cape Fear. I thought it was brilliant and it's proof that Scorsese can do these Noir thrillers. The cast of this film: Leonardo DiCaprio, Mark Ruffalo, Ben Kingsley, Michelle Williams, Max von Sydow, and Jackie Earle Haley. Pretty damn impressive. More than excited about Kingsley playing the role of Dr. Cawley. Ruffalo is a perfect choice for Chuck Aule. JEH as George Noyce, who better to play sick and twisty than JEH. As for DiCaprio, Scorsese utilizes him like Burton utilizes Depp, so we are kinda stuck with him BUT the kid can act, so I'm hopeful. Is he the person I would have picked for the role of Teddy Daniels, not really, however, if he can deliver a performance like he did in Aviator and Rev. Road, it's all good.

As for the book, it's a face paced psychological thriller that's definitely worth reading. Depending on how smartly you read and how good you are at anagrams, some things are easy to spot from the get go, still there are some clever twists and turns near the end of the book that I didn't see coming. It's worth a read Pacino. :) It's not one of Lehane's best, but it's still a good page turner.

I also think we are going to be thrown some different twists come movie time.
Maui
WoWie

Postby Leckomaniac on Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:44 am

Currently embroiled in PALE FIRE.

Such a masterwork. You can utterly lose yourself in that book.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Bloo on Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:16 am

Maui wrote:I've become one of those creepy people that hang out at the library. 8-)

that's that's who you are? :lol:
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby Maui on Sat Sep 26, 2009 7:07 pm

Bloo wrote:
Maui wrote:I've become one of those creepy people that hang out at the library. 8-)

that's that's who you are? :lol:

There are varying degrees of creepy at the library, I likely fall somewhere in the mildly creepy range. :wink:
Maui
WoWie

Postby Maui on Sat Sep 26, 2009 7:17 pm

Pacino86845 wrote:The Blind Assassin is probably my favorite Atwood book... I thought you'd read it already? :?

This book is amazing, a Booker prize winner and I can certainly see why. Atwood is a poet. I loved that the novel itself has a story within a story.

I've just started Duma Key. This is my first Stephen King book, so new territory here. I also picked up Geek Love by Katherine Dunn and The Inheritance of Loss by Kiran Desai.
Maui
WoWie

Postby Maui on Sat Sep 26, 2009 7:19 pm

Leckomaniac wrote:Currently embroiled in PALE FIRE.

Such a masterwork. You can utterly lose yourself in that book.

This is in TIME's top 100 books of all time. :D
Maui
WoWie

Postby Doc Holliday on Sun Sep 27, 2009 4:11 am

I'm making hard work out of PARADISE LOST, just at the moment. The language is so dense and the literary references so many, that I can only read around 20 pages at a time. An excellent book though, one that puts God's hypocrisies under the microscope. When I finish it (probably circa 2012), my copy of HEART OF DARKNESS has arrived and sits there, patiently waiting...
"I think the worst time to have a heart attack is during a game of charades..."

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Sun Sep 27, 2009 5:34 am

Doc Holliday wrote:I'm making hard work out of PARADISE LOST, just at the moment. The language is so dense and the literary references so many, that I can only read around 20 pages at a time. An excellent book though, one that puts God's hypocrisies under the microscope. When I finish it (probably circa 2012), my copy of HEART OF DARKNESS has arrived and sits there, patiently waiting...

You gotta get through The Divine Comedy after that. There you get to meet the Devil - ME!!! :twisted: :twisted:
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:57 pm

Maui wrote:I've just started Duma Key. This is my first Stephen King book, so new territory here.

And you're starting with Duma Key?? Okay, I've only read like 100 pages and that was months ago. I am so behind on my reading. It pisses me off. Right off.
caruso_stalker217
TOO AGED FOR THIS MALARKEY

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:00 pm

Doc Holliday wrote:I'm making hard work out of PARADISE LOST, just at the moment. The language is so dense and the literary references so many, that I can only read around 20 pages at a time. An excellent book though, one that puts God's hypocrisies under the microscope. When I finish it (probably circa 2012), my copy of HEART OF DARKNESS has arrived and sits there, patiently waiting...

Yeah, I've got that one collecting dust on my shelf. Read a fair bit a couple years ago, but it was tough to keep picking up.
caruso_stalker217
TOO AGED FOR THIS MALARKEY

Postby Bloo on Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:29 am

some friends of mine got me THE TIME TRAVLER'S WIFE so I'm working on that right now
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby magicmonkey on Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:52 am

Making my way through "Notes from Underground", it's my first Dostoevsky, it's easy to read, and may serve as a introduction to some of his more renowned works.
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby Maui on Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:57 am

caruso_stalker217 wrote:
And you're starting with Duma Key??

Yup! Halfway through and so far it's great, a hypnotic read that's hard to put down. It's a monster of a book - I could probably use it as a tire block after I'm done with it.
Maui
WoWie

Postby Fievel on Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:01 am

Maui!
Welcome to the world of King! I hope you enjoy it as it is quite a large world to read.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Maui on Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:01 am

Bloo wrote:some friends of mine got me THE TIME TRAVLER'S WIFE so I'm working on that right now

I really enjoyed this book. For a debut novel, Audrey Niffenegger‎ did a splendid job. I've yet to see the movie, kinda scared to see it actually after reading all the craptastic reviews.
Maui
WoWie

Postby Maui on Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:02 am

Fievel wrote:Maui!
Welcome to the world of King! I hope you enjoy it as it is quite a large world to read.

Thanks! :)

I'll be looking for recommendations from you kids for more worthwhile King reads.
Maui
WoWie

Postby Al Shut on Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:31 pm

Instead of looking for something new like everybody else here, I started to reread my Zamonia books. (I only know parts of them by heart so there's still room for improvement)
Note to myself: Fix this image shit!
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby TheBaxter on Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:06 pm

Maui wrote:

I'll be looking for recommendations from you kids for more worthwhile King reads.

i'm partial to his older stuff. the obvious suggestions would be IT or the Stand. however, i think if it's your first king book, i'd go for one of the shorter ones. salem's lot, pet sematary (some might not like it, but i thought it was great), the shining, the dead zone... any of those would be a good choice. his short story collections are also pretty good, though obviously hit-and-miss as all short story collections are.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Bloo on Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:09 pm

I think my first King was Christine or The Shining
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby Fievel on Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:24 pm

A good chunk of his books end up being related to his Dark Tower series, so hopefully you'll end up checking that out.
Here's a "roadmap" as to how a lot of the books are related (from a now-defunct website). Caution as there are some mild spoilers in it if you read the descriptions below the map.

Kirks was reading that.... wonder if he finished.....
I was re-listening to the Dark Tower audiobooks when I got into my car accident last June and haven't had the urge to get back into it.

And Maui - once you've finished Duma Key, check out this thread.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Doc Holliday on Tue Sep 29, 2009 4:54 pm

Bloo wrote:I think my first King was Christine or The Shining

Mine was Salem's Lot - I'd seen the first half of the made-for-TV version but missed the second (ahh, David Soul. Where art thou now?)

Needless to say, the book was immeasurably better. After that came CUJO and Cat's Eye, by which time I was hooked for life...

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Doc Holliday on Tue Sep 29, 2009 4:56 pm

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:

You gotta get through The Divine Comedy after that. There you get to meet the Devil - ME!!! :twisted: :twisted:

Um....he crops up once or twice in Paradise Lost, too... :shock:

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:46 pm

Fievel wrote:A good chunk of his books end up being related to his Dark Tower series, so hopefully you'll end up checking that out.
Here's a "roadmap" as to how a lot of the books are related (from a now-defunct website). Caution as there are some mild spoilers in it if you read the descriptions below the map.

Kirks was reading that.... wonder if he finished.....[/url].

Kirks is still following the path of the Beam to the Dark Tower, currently about to have a ruckus with some wolves in Wolves of the Calla. He'll be onto Song of Susannah next week if he survives.

... and you thought Kirk couldn't read.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Ribbons on Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:17 pm

Maui wrote:

I'm probably not a good source because I've only read 2 King books, but I liked Cell and, while it had its moments, did not really enjoy slogging through the 1200-page The Stand. The next book in the world of King I'm thinking of reading is The Talisman, which he co-wrote with Peter Straub.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby magicmonkey on Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:43 am

Ribbons wrote:
Maui wrote:

I'm probably not a good source because I've only read 2 King books, but I liked Cell and, while it had its moments, did not really enjoy slogging through the 1200-page The Stand. The next book in the world of King I'm thinking of reading is The Talisman, which he co-wrote with Peter Straub.

i started to read the dark tower books, the first one was pretty ok, very "El Topo", the 2nd(3rd?), ug... I thought it was downright rascist, am I alone in this thought? A schizophrenic, honky hating, black woman with the dialogue to match? Sure, King paints a lot of his characters in a pretty nasty fashion, but this lady was a worse stereotype than your average slovenly white, Texan policeman. I have all the books, but stopped reading at that point, it lost all the twisted western-style fantasy of the first and had more walking than the ENTIRE Lord of the Rings trilogy, but this time it was a walk with a limp whilst pushing a wheelchair, though FUCKING SAND!!!!

Slow, dull and uneventful does not even begin to describe the experience, even my cat scraped at the book as though it was burying a turd (I shit you not).

Having said all I that, I really enjoyed "The Shining" and "Salems Lot", and a lot of his short stories, although I did read them a long time ago.
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby Fievel on Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:40 am

magicmonkey wrote:
Ribbons wrote:
Maui wrote:

i started to read the dark tower books, the first one was pretty ok, very "El Topo", the 2nd(3rd?), ug... I thought it was downright rascist, am I alone in this thought? A schizophrenic, honky hating, black woman with the dialogue to match? Sure, King paints a lot of his characters in a pretty nasty fashion, but this lady was a worse stereotype than your average slovenly white, Texan policeman. I have all the books, but stopped reading at that point, it lost all the twisted western-style fantasy of the first and had more walking than the ENTIRE Lord of the Rings trilogy, but this time it was a walk with a limp whilst pushing a wheelchair, though FUCKING SAND!!!!

Slow, dull and uneventful does not even begin to describe the experience, even my cat scraped at the book as though it was burying a turd (I shit you not).

Having said all I that, I really enjoyed "The Shining" and "Salems Lot", and a lot of his short stories, although I did read them a long time ago.

Oh magicmonkey..... I completely get where you're coming from, but that is a huge part of that character for that book (honky mofo!). And regarding the second book not being like the first.... each of the first four books are completely different in tone, although the biggest part of book 4 will remind you of book 1.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby magicmonkey on Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:12 pm

Fievel wrote:
magicmonkey wrote:
Ribbons wrote:
Maui wrote:

Oh magicmonkey..... I completely get where you're coming from, but that is a huge part of that character for that book (honky mofo!). And regarding the second book not being like the first.... each of the first four books are completely different in tone, although the biggest part of book 4 will remind you of book 1.

Haha! I'm not gonna make room in my schedule for the rest of the books, but yeah, seeing as though I have them, I will get back to giving it another try... eventually. I got a cassette(s) version of the first book over 15 years ago, so it's not like I've never left a gap in my reading the series before. Indeed, it seems as though I am reading the books over an extended period kinda like how King wrote them, but I really cannot say I don't often feel like hurling the thing at the wall.
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby Seppuku on Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:47 pm

Gave my right ear an infection from listening to all the audiobooks of The Once and Future King and A Stranger in a Strange Land recently. It was worth it- now I can finally grok the word grok!

I think I actually preferred TOAFK to Lord of the Rings (although it's a bit pointless randomly pitting them together just because they're both fantasies). What it lacks in the way of actual magic in the last 4 volumes, it more than makes up for in rich, philosophical conversations (read: essays) which, for the most part, are probably more deep than the stuff most medieval scholars come out with. Not that T H White was trying to be scholarly or anything; he makes willful anachronism after anachronism throughout, but s'far as giving his characters depth and crafting a story not steeped in Epic Pooh, this pips the other huge fantasy of the era. The whole book relies on the theory that Arthur was the first man to bring civilization to Europe, via his round table. Considering that it's a matter of opinion as to whether he even existed, at least as more than one small King in a Britain full of several, this is kind of questionable, though it works for the story. The best thing about the whole thing was the author's wry, laid-back sense of humour and dead-on observations. I love the way he described old age as gaining a sort of "seventh sense."

Stranger in a Strange Land was also worth fucking up my right ear for (and I think it's best experienced as an audiobook, due to the fact that most of the story is related through conversations). Written in 1962, it seemed to predict the whole hippie era, but expounded the "free love" ethos into something way more advanced than the "let's get high and live on a farm" thing it became in reality. As a guy who must have read hundreds of sci-fi books over the years, I honestly think it tops them all. I can't think of any other sci-fi novel that delivers its mission statement in a more successful way, without giving the characters, plot and world short shrift (what the hell's a "shrift," by the way?). Jubal Harshaw is one of the more fascinating characters in fiction. And it even tops Superman s'far as Jesus metaphors go. I was kinda late on this one, so I'm glad I finally got through it and gave myself a fuckton more Pop Culture XP points.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby MadCapsule on Fri Oct 02, 2009 2:55 pm

Just finished Wizard And Glass. I liked most of it but the end really became a chore for me.

I think I'm going to take a break from the Dark Tower series for now. I'm on a bit of King overload and it's time for something different.

The Man Who Was Thursday is in my Amazon wish list. Perhaps that will be next. Or maybe some hard-boiled noir. I've never read any Raymond Chandler...
MadCapsule
SUSAN CAGLE

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Sun Oct 04, 2009 1:43 am

I found a copy of Chandler's The Little Sister at my local library's book sale a while back. Grabbed it because I'd never read his stuff and it was a Philip Marlowe mystery.
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MadCapsule on Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:51 am

Yeah, I figure one of the Marlowe mysteries is a good place for me to start for me too.

I'm also curious about the Tales of the Otori series by Lian Hearn. Dammit! So many books that I want to read!
MadCapsule
SUSAN CAGLE

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:33 am

MadCapsule wrote:Just finished Wizard And Glass. I liked most of it but the end really became a chore for me.

That's interesting. Me being a rather impatient reader I found most of it rather a struggle due to it feeling uneventful when all along it was building building building and setting up for one explosive and emotionally devastating finish - as far as Roland's backstory was concerned.

Or are you talking about it being a chore when we catch back up with the Ka-tet when his story was told?

Anyway we can talk about this here or we can talk about it outside? Or downtown? Or in The Dark Tower thread itself? :-P
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=52918&p=715461#p715461
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby MadCapsule on Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:41 am

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:
MadCapsule wrote:Just finished Wizard And Glass. I liked most of it but the end really became a chore for me.

That's interesting. Me being a rather impatient reader I found most of it rather a struggle due to it feeling uneventful when all along it was building building building and setting up for one explosive and emotionally devastating finish - as far as Roland's backstory was concerned.

Or are you talking about it being a chore when we catch back up with the Ka-tet when his story was told?

Anyway we can talk about this here or we can talk about it outside? Or downtown? Or in The Dark Tower thread itself? :-P

I'm purposely avoiding The Dark Tower thread, so as not to stumble upon any spoilers, so I'd rather discuss it here. 'Less you got problem wit dat, den we c'n take dis outside. [cue unintentionally funny head movement that was supposed to be intimidating]

But yes, I was referring to the point when we catch up with Roland and the gang after his story has been told. Specifically when it just turns into The Wizard of Oz. To me it just felt like King was saying "Well, folks, I've completely run out of ideas. Soooo, what I'm gonna do here is rip off The Wizard of Oz. But see, here's the good part: I'm gonna tell you, the reader, that I'm doing it so that it doesn't look so bad." At least that's how it felt to me. And really, why go through all the trouble of writing up a big rescue scenario for The Tick-tock Man in the previous book if he's only going to reappear for a couple of throwaway sentences? Did King just have a problem with having a little kid shoot a man in the head and that was the best thing he could come up with to resolve it? And the whole concept of "things just happen differently in this world because that's just how it is" is starting to wear thin(ny) with me.

So, that's my take. I'm also a bit apprehensive about the last few books in the series, considering how quickly Stephen King cranked them out. I dunno. I'll get around to finishing the series at some point but, like I said, I need a change of pace for right now.
MadCapsule
SUSAN CAGLE

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:42 am

MadCapsule wrote:
Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:

I'm purposely avoiding The Dark Tower thread, so as not to stumble upon any spoilers, so I'd rather discuss it here. 'Less you got problem wit dat, den we c'n take dis outside. [cue unintentionally funny head movement that was supposed to be intimidating]

But yes, I was referring to the point when we catch up with Roland and the gang after his story has been told. Specifically when it just turns into The Wizard of Oz. To me it just felt like King was saying "Well, folks, I've completely run out of ideas. Soooo, what I'm gonna do here is rip off The Wizard of Oz. But see, here's the good part: I'm gonna tell you, the reader, that I'm doing it so that it doesn't look so bad." At least that's how it felt to me. And really, why go through all the trouble of writing up a big rescue scenario for The Tick-tock Man in the previous book if he's only going to reappear for a couple of throwaway sentences? Did King just have a problem with having a little kid shoot a man in the head and that was the best thing he could come up with to resolve it? And the whole concept of "things just happen differently in this world because that's just how it is" is starting to wear thin(ny) with me.

Yeah I agree with you on that. The Wizard of Oz thing seemed a bit quickly thrown out there and I'm still waiting for a reason to explain such absurdity or even copycat useage, it seemed very throwaway. Plus the Tick Tock Man, after all that fear that was instilled in him when that Wizard turned up to save his life last time, I was expecting things to really kick off. But no, he SEEMED to just die, just like that. Unless something in the upcoming story explains and puts closure or reason to all this.

I mean, we can talk about this more here - or over dinner or a drink on a date? :-P
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Maui on Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:14 am

TheBaxter wrote:
Maui wrote:

i'm partial to his older stuff. the obvious suggestions would be IT or the Stand. however, i think if it's your first king book, i'd go for one of the shorter ones. salem's lot, pet sematary (some might not like it, but i thought it was great), the shining, the dead zone... any of those would be a good choice. his short story collections are also pretty good, though obviously hit-and-miss as all short story collections are.

Thanks Bax! and everyone else for their Stephen King recommendations. :)

Fievel, I will check out that SK thread - some good stuff in there. Duma Key was a wonderful read. Loved it. I will definitely be checking out more King books in the future.

I just finished Geek Love by Katherine Dunn, what a wonderfully freaky tale.

I'm now reading The Call of Cthulhu and Other Weird Stories by H.P. Lovecraft and once I'm done with that, I'm onto more Margaret Atwood, with The Robber Bride.
Maui
WoWie

Postby Maui on Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:16 am

magicmonkey wrote:Slow, dull and uneventful does not even begin to describe the experience, even my cat scraped at the book as though it was burying a turd (I shit you not).

:lol:

Oh man, thanks for that. I really need a good laugh. Well done!
Maui
WoWie

Postby MadCapsule on Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:41 pm

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:
MadCapsule wrote:
Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:

Yeah I agree with you on that. The Wizard of Oz thing seemed a bit quickly thrown out there and I'm still waiting for a reason to explain such absurdity or even copycat useage, it seemed very throwaway. Plus the Tick Tock Man, after all that fear that was instilled in him when that Wizard turned up to save his life last time, I was expecting things to really kick off. But no, he SEEMED to just die, just like that. Unless something in the upcoming story explains and puts closure or reason to all this.

I mean, we can talk about this more here - or over dinner or a drink on a date? :-P

Alright, but you're buyin'. I still haven't found a new job.

So, am I right in assuming that you haven't read anything past Wizard and Glass?

And if Tick Tock is brought back in a later book, it's going to have to be super extra-special for me to be ok with it.

PS- I like Hendricks martinis.
MadCapsule
SUSAN CAGLE

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:04 pm

MadCapsule wrote:
Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:
MadCapsule wrote:
Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:

Alright, but you're buyin'. I still haven't found a new job.

So, am I right in assuming that you haven't read anything past Wizard and Glass?

And if Tick Tock is brought back in a later book, it's going to have to be super extra-special for me to be ok with it.

PS- I like Hendricks martinis.

I'm onto Susannahs's Song right now, nearly 100 pages in. Can't say about the Tick Tock Man as if I say yes or no, it's Spoilers.

Martini is easy. I can do that, though with most drink ups with someone I wanna seduce, a bottle of cheap red wine normally does the trick. Just don't expect my ego to be there still in the morning when they wake up and see how I REALLY look like. So don't get your hopes up.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Fievel on Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:15 pm

Madcap - The inclusion of the Oz stuff sort of makes sense once you get through everything.
Actually, by the time you're in book 6 your mind will have been forcefully penetrated by the content of the books that you'll just sit cross-eyed and beg for more.
And once the series is done..... wow.

Books 5-7 do flow better together than any other books in the series. That's the only byproduct of King writing them at the same time.
What I mean by that is that in Book 1 you had a messed up Western story. Book two was some messed up sci-fi/fantasy stuff. Book 3 was almost LOTR-esque, but in a MUCH different setting.
Book 4 goes back to the Western feel and then finishes up with some truly f-ed up pop culture twists.
Books 5-7 are basically continuations of the same story, yet book 6 is written in a different style that became annoying to me (and ultimately I got used to it).

Hope you make it back to the Path of the Beam.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Ribbons on Tue Oct 06, 2009 3:00 pm

All things serve the beam!
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Bloo on Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:03 am

some friends of my family got my dad a book for his birthday

my dad doesn't like to read (his exact words "I wish this was on a dvd"), so I started reading it

these friends are from the town this book is about

I'm currently reading OUR BOYS:A PERFECT SEASON ON THE PLAINS WITH THE SMITH CENTER REDMEN by Joe Drape (sportswriter for the NY Times)

anyways it's about the (still--72-0) undefeated Smith Center, KS Redmen football team. I'm loving it mainly because I live in this part of the country, we have friends whose son plays on this team, I've seen this team play, etc

I'd love to know what anyone else thinks so if you like stories about HS football, HS sports, small town life, etc, pick it up

for those curious Joe Paterno (of Penn State) and Bill Synder (of K-State) both give it praise as does some sports writers
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby MadCapsule on Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:57 pm

I'm not much of a sports fan, but 72-0!? Holy shit, that's amazing!
MadCapsule
SUSAN CAGLE

Postby Bloo on Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:55 pm

MadCapsule wrote:I'm not much of a sports fan, but 72-0!? Holy shit, that's amazing!

let me correct something it's the longest ACTIVE winning streak in the nation

and yes it's very amazing, I'm going to go watch them play this weekend against my HS alma mater, I"m excited to sit on the winning side :wink: along with the friends of my family
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby rozco on Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:39 pm

kazan on directing....it's an incredibly insightful book taken from elia kazans personal notes on his plays and films, i'm getting toward the halfway point, highly recommended if you have any interest in directing
http://rozcosreviews.wordpress.com/
http://twitter.com/rozcosreviews

Film and music enthusiast and critic, aspiring screenwriter and director
rozco
GLIB

Postby Bloo on Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:54 pm

picked up the latest Sookie Stackhouse book A TOUCH OF DEAD, it's actually a short story collection. It's 4 short stories revovling around sookie. A VERY quick read, did it in a bout an hour an half, but enjoyable nonetheless, wished there would have been more, but...
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby Fievel on Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:49 pm

Bloo wrote:picked up the latest Sookie Stackhouse book A TOUCH OF DEAD, it's actually a short story collection. It's 4 short stories revovling around sookie. A VERY quick read, did it in a bout an hour an half, but enjoyable nonetheless, wished there would have been more, but...

Butt has two t's.

:D
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby justcheckin on Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:58 pm

I just read Magic Terror by Peter Straub... compilation of short stories. It was pretty good. He is close to Stephen King's style.
justcheckin
AIRWOLF

PreviousNext

Return to AICN Books