What Are You Reading?

This forum caters to our literary tastes.

Re: What Are You Reading?

Postby TK-421 on Thu Nov 26, 2009 4:24 pm

I'm going through Douglas Adams' Dirk Gently novels right now - I'm at The Long, Dark Teatime of the Soul. Good, fun read - plus he manages to concoct a reasonably intriguing story to put his jokes in. I might go through some of The Salmon of Doubt again after this, but other than that I think another hundred pages will just about wrap up his books. I could have done with more of his work.

Did anyone read ...And Another Thing, btw? I've been thinking about getting a copy, but I'm a bit hesitant since it might be crap.
TK-421
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby St. Alphonzo on Thu Nov 26, 2009 11:06 pm

I'm about midway through Pynchon's latest: "Inherent Vice". Having now read three Pynchon novels, I'd figured this one would be more of the same (dense, difficult, mind-bending). It's not though. It's like Pynchon is channelling Elmore Leonard. A true detective story, with the only abstract references being to '50's and '60's rock and roll (so far). So I've actually not had to Wiki something every three pages as usual! Great characters, and a quick pace.

This might be his first true "film-able" novel! Good stuff.
ImageImage
St. Alphonzo
Patron Saint

Postby stereosforgeeks on Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:59 am

St. Alphonzo wrote:I'm about midway through Pynchon's latest: "Inherent Vice". Having now read three Pynchon novels, I'd figured this one would be more of the same (dense, difficult, mind-bending). It's not though. It's like Pynchon is channelling Elmore Leonard. A true detective story, with the only abstract references being to '50's and '60's rock and roll (so far). So I've actually not had to Wiki something every three pages as usual! Great characters, and a quick pace.

Its also hilarious and an absolutely blast to read.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Raziel on Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:09 am

Having finished Paul M. Sammon's Future Noir: The Making Of Blade Runner, I posted a review on me blog. Also finished Peter Jackson: A Filmmaker's Journey by Brian Sibley, currently reading The Thing On The Doorstep And Other Stories by H.P. Lovecraft!
Raziel
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby minstrel on Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:56 pm

I'm reading Hemingway's "A Farewell To Arms". I read it as a teenager but I don't remember much of it, and back then I wasn't really equipped to appreciate it.

Everyone talks about Hemingway's style, and how influential it was, but the thing that impresses me about Hemingway most is the amazing amount of telling detail he gets into his work without presenting it all in big indigestible blocks of description. And the detail he provides is so rich and convincing that it would have been practically impossible for a writer to make it all up - he had to BE there in Italy in World War 1 serving as an ambulance driver, which of course Hemingway actually did.
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby Pacino86845 on Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:47 pm

I've been on a bit of hiatus in my reading, but finally I got started on the first Dark Tower book... The Gunslinger, right? Not too far in it, but so far so good. Somehow I avoided reading it all these years because a post-apocalyptic sci fi series written by Stephen King was somehow a turn off. Boy was I wrong in my ignorance.

EDIT: A Farwell to Arms is brilliant. I read it about five years ago so I get a few of the details mixed up with For Whom the Bell Tolls... I remember the latter was about the Spanish civil war during the second world war, whereas the former was mainly set during the first world war. Should probably reread both books at some point.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:51 pm

Pacino86845 wrote:I've been on a bit of hiatus in my reading, but finally I got started on the first Dark Tower book... The Gunslinger, right? Not too far in it, but so far so good. Somehow I avoided reading it all these years because a post-apocalyptic sci fi series written by Stephen King was somehow a turn off. Boy was I wrong in my ignorance.

Yeah well you've been wrong about a lot of things. I mean, look, I'M ahead of you in these books. Even me. I think that says a lot about you.

I am the Walter to your Roland. Always one step ahead of you. And you call yourself an Admin here. Maybe not for long, Pacino. Not, for, long.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby TheBaxter on Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:49 pm

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:
Pacino86845 wrote:I've been on a bit of hiatus in my reading, but finally I got started on the first Dark Tower book... The Gunslinger, right? Not too far in it, but so far so good. Somehow I avoided reading it all these years because a post-apocalyptic sci fi series written by Stephen King was somehow a turn off. Boy was I wrong in my ignorance.

Yeah well you've been wrong about a lot of things. I mean, look, I'M ahead of you in these books. Even me. I think that says a lot about you.

I am the Walter to your Roland. Always one step ahead of you. And you call yourself an Admin here. Maybe not for long, Pacino. Not, for, long.

he started after you, and yet, like me, he'll probably finish it before you. you ARE like walter... you too will end up... oh wait, you probably haven't gotten to that part yet. :twisted:
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby magicmonkey on Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:47 pm

TheBaxter wrote:
Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:

he started after you, and yet, like me, he'll probably finish it before you. you ARE like walter... you too will end up... oh wait, you probably haven't gotten to that part yet. :twisted:

Oh god... wait til you get to the wheelchair in the sand book...
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby justcheckin on Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:42 pm

magicmonkey wrote:
TheBaxter wrote:
Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:

Oh god... wait til you get to the wheelchair in the sand book...

YOu mean when the wheelchair gets stuck... OMG!
justcheckin
AIRWOLF

Postby Pacino86845 on Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:47 pm

I'm at the part where the gunslinger just finished telling the story of how he shot down the entirety of Tull, I have no idea what any of you are talking about.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby TheBaxter on Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:12 am

Pacino86845 wrote:I'm at the part where the gunslinger just finished telling the story of how he shot down the entirety of Tull, I have no idea what any of you are talking about.

take my advice. as soon as you see anyone mention the dark tower, roland, ka, or anything else DT-related.... DO NOT READ. there's stuff in these books you do not want spoiled ahead of time if you can help it. it will be harder and harder as you go along to resist reading and looking up stuff, but trust me, don't do it. you'll be glad later on.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Maui on Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:41 am

I finished reading In the Woods by Tana French, Little Bee by Chris Cleave and I've just started New World Monkeys by Nancy Mauro. Little Bee, btw, is going to be adapted to film with Nicole Kidman on the project - can't wait!!
Maui
WoWie

Postby Maui on Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:44 am

stereosforgeeks wrote:
St. Alphonzo wrote:I'm about midway through Pynchon's latest: "Inherent Vice". Having now read three Pynchon novels, I'd figured this one would be more of the same (dense, difficult, mind-bending). It's not though. It's like Pynchon is channelling Elmore Leonard. A true detective story, with the only abstract references being to '50's and '60's rock and roll (so far). So I've actually not had to Wiki something every three pages as usual! Great characters, and a quick pace.

Good to know, I still have Gravity's Rainbow waiting to be read. I'll have to check this out at some point.
Maui
WoWie

Postby St. Alphonzo on Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:49 pm

Maui wrote:
stereosforgeeks wrote:

Good to know, I still have Gravity's Rainbow waiting to be read. I'll have to check this out at some point.

Just finished it. Truly enjoyable, start to finish. Gravity's Rainbow certainly has more "weight", but Inherent Vice is just plain fun. Plus it'll only take you a few days to read, while Gravity's.... well, don't plan on getting much else accomplished for awhile :)
ImageImage
St. Alphonzo
Patron Saint

Postby MadCapsule on Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:46 pm

I just blasted through volume 1 of The Walking Dead after the library finally got it in and told me about it. Yep, I think I'll be putting the compendium on my Christmas wish list. Despite some of the rather cliched situations, I found myself actually caring about the characters and what happened to them. So, bravo, Robert Kirkman.

Up next is Pride and Prejudice and Zombies. I love the perverse nature of inserting zombies in a classic Jane Austen romance novel! And no, I've not read the regular Pride and Prejudice. Is that wrong? I really don't care if it is.

After that will probably be Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters. Again, I'm just tickled by the whole idea.
MadCapsule
SUSAN CAGLE

Postby Seppuku on Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:28 pm

I read a story called Flatland (read here) a couple of years ago, and I completely forgot to mention it here. It's probably the most singular story I've ever read. It was written about 150 years ago by a religious schoolmaster, and is set from the perspective of an inhabitant of the second dimension (A Square) and details how he managed to venture into the third dimension. It's kind of its time, in that the Flatland women are depicted as being [very dangerous and pointy] lines, while the hierarchy of the place goes thus: the richer and more respected you are, the more sides you have. So the head honchos/priests are circles, which have more sides than any other shape, while the soldiers are mere lowly triangles.

I suppose it works as a bit of a parody of Victorian society, and it also talks about how hard it is to present new ideas (i.e. of the first, third, fourth dimension and beyond) to people absolutely set in their ways ("inspired people are always considered by the majority to be mad"), but it works best as just a great proto-science fiction piece, with the author explaining the ins and outs of 2d life. It's kind of bizarre to think that this was written 150 years ago, but I guess that was a time when the world seemed to be changing at an incredible rate and almost anything seemed possible, which is why the Victorian era presented us with so many head-spinning works of fiction. I guess this is one that mostly (and unfairly) slipped under the cracks (although it got two movie adaptations in 2007: a short film starring Martin Sheen and another longer, apparently better adaptation).

It's only about 80/90 pages long, so if you've got the time and don't have trouble with flowery language, don't be a square and check it out!
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby Al Shut on Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:37 pm

Haha even with links your posts sound like you make them up. I hate reading online but I have to see if I can find time for that.
Note to myself: Fix this image shit!
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby TheBaxter on Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:01 pm

Seppuku wrote:I read a story called Flatland (read here) a couple of years ago, and I completely forgot to mention it here. It's probably the most singular story I've ever read. It was written about 150 years ago by a religious schoolmaster, and is set from the perspective of an inhabitant of the second dimension (A Square) and details how he managed to venture into the third dimension. It's kind of its time, in that the Flatland women are depicted as being [very dangerous and pointy] lines, while the hierarchy of the place goes thus: the richer and more respected you are, the more sides you have. So the head honchos/priests are circles, which have more sides than any other shape, while the soldiers are mere lowly triangles.

wait a second... a circle has more sides than any other shape? just how many sides does a circle have anyway?

i mean, maybe it has just one side, one continuous, but curved, side that wraps back on itself.

or maybe a side must, by definition, be a straight line. in which case a circle has NO sides, because no matter how small an arc of the circle you take, it will always be curved.

but if a side doesn't HAVE to be a straight line, then maybe it has an infinite number of sides, if you consider each "direction" from the center of the circle going out, that has a perpendicular tangent, to be a side... the side then being that point of the tangent that intersects with the curve of the circle. that is, as long as a single point can be counted as a "side"

or maybe, since a circle has no corners, it therefore has no sides. because you can't have a side without at least a corner at each end of the side to define where one end of the side begins and the other end ends..

oh zod, what have you done to my brain!?1?!?!?
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby minstrel on Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:04 pm

Bax, I think the way to think of the circle in this context is to think of a polygon with an ever-increasing number of sides. The more sides it has, the closer it resembles a circle. When it has an infinite number of sides, it is a circle. And when it's a circle, it has only two sides - inside and outside! Gosh, geometry is fun, isn't it?
minstrel

Postby TheBaxter on Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:20 pm

but a polygon is NOT a circle... it may resemble a circle as the number of sides gets larger, but it never actually becomes a circle. a polygon and a circle are two fundamentally different objects. for example: a polygon has the exact same numbers of corners as sides... a triangle has 3 sides and 3 corners, a square has 4 sides and 4 corners, a pentagon has 5 sides and 5 corners, and so on and so on. but a circle has NO corners... so if a polygon, by defnition, has the same number of sides as corners, and a circle has 0 corners, then a circle cannot be a polygon.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Pacino86845 on Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:31 pm

I know what you're trying to pull, Baxter! I'M ON TO YOU!!!

But I have to say I don't really buy the infinite sides argument... a circle is defined by an infinite number of points, infinitesimally close to each other. To draw even an infinitesimally small segment between any neighboring two points breaks the definition of the circle. It's a bit of a chicken-egg problem actually when you use this argument, which is maybe why some people say "undefined."

But the limit still holds probably... you can argue that a function/operation tends to a value (or other function/operation) as the changing variable tends to infinity, but it does not mean they will be equal. So while the limit might be true, you probably can't at any point say polygon(n-sides) = circle when n=infinity. Nothing can equal infinity, so you could never say a ploygon even with infinite sides EQUALS a circle. Or something like that...

EDIT: On the other hand, to have a hypothetical infinite-sided polygon "equal" to a circle would mean that its sides would have to have length=0. If you can accept 0-length sides then these sides are equal to points. But if a side has to have length > 0 then you can't have a circle out of a polygon.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby stereosforgeeks on Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:03 pm

Pacino86845 wrote:I know what you're trying to pull, Baxter! I'M ON TO YOU!!!

But I have to say I don't really buy the infinite sides argument... a circle is defined by an infinite number of points, infinitesimally close to each other. To draw even an infinitesimally small segment between any neighboring two points breaks the definition of the circle. It's a bit of a chicken-egg problem actually when you use this argument, which is maybe why some people say "undefined."

But the limit still holds probably... you can argue that a function/operation tends to a value (or other function/operation) as the changing variable tends to infinity, but it does not mean they will be equal. So while the limit might be true, you probably can't at any point say polygon(n-sides) = circle when n=infinity. Nothing can equal infinity, so you could never say a ploygon even with infinite sides EQUALS a circle. Or something like that...

EDIT: On the other hand, to have a hypothetical infinite-sided polygon "equal" to a circle would mean that its sides would have to have length=0. If you can accept 0-length sides then these sides are equal to points. But if a side has to have length > 0 then you can't have a circle out of a polygon.

Calculus arguments!!!!!
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby TheBaxter on Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:19 pm

so what this all boils down to is...

whoever wrote that book is dumb, because he thought a circle had more sides than a square.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby so sorry on Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:39 pm

TheBaxter wrote:so what this all boils down to is...

whoever wrote that book is dumb, because he thought a circle had more sides than a square.

Well according to Sepp's description, he was a religious schoolmaster... a deadly combination!
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:01 pm

I had this discussion with kindergartners a couple years ago. They had a worksheet with traffic signs and had to write down how many sides each one had. One of them was a railroad crossing sign. "One!" "No, zero!" "But it's round!" "Zero!" "Blue!" "One!" "I have to go to the bathroom!"
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Bloo on Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:15 pm

Tyrone_Shoelaces wrote:I had this discussion with kindergartners a couple years ago. They had a worksheet with traffic signs and had to write down how many sides each one had. One of them was a railroad crossing sign. "One!" "No, zero!" "But it's round!" "Zero!" "Blue!" "One!" "I have to go to the bathroom!"

that sounds like some of my college classes
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby Seppuku on Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:03 pm

It's been a while since I read it, but I think I remember it saying that it was possible to upgrade your social caste by gaining a new side... Once you've got about a hundred sides, you're considered something like an "irregular circle." Which I suppose would make you something like the Flatland equivalent of an MP or a Senator. Then once your sides are no longer visible, you join the clergy and get to Lord it over all the other flatlanders. So, I guess it's saying that technically circles don't really exist!

By the way, now you know why this book was occasionally taught in high school geometry class... Anything that gets people arguing over shapes has gotta deserve some props.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby Maui on Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:07 pm

This discussion on cirlces is rather pointless isn't it?

Wuhuh
Maui
WoWie

Postby Al Shut on Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:27 pm

You might have a point there.
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby papalazeru on Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:55 pm

Al Shut wrote:You might have a point there.

I'm taking your side.
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby TheBaxter on Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:08 pm

papalazeru wrote:
Al Shut wrote:You might have a point there.

I'm taking your side.

i have to disagree. it was obviously an example of circular reasoning.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Al Shut on Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:31 pm

This pundemonium needs to stop
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby Maui on Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:11 am

I'm halfway through Murakami's Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World, so far so good.

Next, on my list to read is The Casebook of Victor Frankenstein by Peter Ackroyd then The Inheritance of Loss by Kiran Desai.
Maui
WoWie

Postby stereosforgeeks on Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:41 am

Maui wrote:I'm halfway through Murakami's Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World, so far so good.

Next, on my list to read is The Casebook of Victor Frankenstein by Peter Ackroyd then The Inheritance of Loss by Kiran Desai.

I recently got through.

The Man In The High Castle - Philip K. Dick
The Three Stigmata Of Palmer Eldritch - Philip K. Dick
Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep? - Philip K. Dick

and will be finishing Ubik tomorrow.

Honestly Do Androids...? Was a bit of a letdown. Some cool philosophizing but otherwise pretty straightforward. After the first two I read it just didnt have the same level of awesomeness.

Going to start Murakamis Norwegian Wood after it.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Maui on Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:02 am

stereosforgeeks wrote:
Maui wrote:I'm halfway through Murakami's Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World, so far so good.

I recently got through.

The Man In The High Castle - Philip K. Dick
The Three Stigmata Of Palmer Eldritch - Philip K. Dick
Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep? - Philip K. Dick

and will be finishing Ubik tomorrow.

Honestly Do Androids...? Was a bit of a letdown. Some cool philosophizing but otherwise pretty straightforward. After the first two I read it just didnt have the same level of awesomeness.

Going to start Murakamis Norwegian Wood after it.

I've read a ton of PKD books (not all of them though) and I'd have to say that I enjoyed A Scanner Darkly the most. Valis just gave me a headache! :? I wasn't too letdown with Androids.

Norwegian Wood is a beautifully written, tragic love story - I found it difficult to put down. After I finish Hard-Boiled that completes my Murakami reading! Now I just have to wait til 2011 for IQ84, it's already getting rave reviews in Japan!
Maui
WoWie

Postby minstrel on Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:11 am

Some volumes of the Paris Review interviews (great stuff!).

Also, Re: Joyce, by Anthony Burgess, because I need help with Ulysses and the rest of Joyce's stuff.

I haven't been reading much these days because I've been pretty deep in my own writing.
minstrel

Postby Pacino86845 on Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:09 am

Man in the High Castle is brilliant, I haven't read The Three Stigmata yet, and Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep is a bit odd... it does appear to be a tad on the weak side, but that's also because PKD has some outstanding fiction out there. Also I didn't take too much issue with Androids, my problem was that not only had I seen the film adaptation before reading the book (not JUST before, like years before), that film adaptation is BLADE RUNNER: one of the most memorable sci-fi films, and it had changed a lot of the source material. Even the tone of it is very different than that of the book. But still I enjoyed Androids a great deal, and in many ways it was more mature than the film despite the goofier elements.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby stereosforgeeks on Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:39 am

Did I set you on a Murakami reading binge Maui?

Pacino: Yeah the film and the story are way different. The book has great philosophical questions but the story was a bit shaky. I kept thinking about Blade Runner when reading it. "Are they going to say Deckard is an android?!", etc...

Maybe I wouldnt have been let down if i hadnt been reading the other PKDs in a row.

After Christmas I am going to have to buy some more books! I keep on going through my stacks so quickly with atleast 8 hours of reading a week.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Maui on Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:58 pm

stereosforgeeks wrote:Did I set you on a Murakami reading binge Maui?

Yes you did and it's been one of the best author recommendations I've ever received.
Maui
WoWie

Postby Maui on Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:10 am

I just finished The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest. It was the final book in Stieg Larsson's Millenium trilogy. This was superb crime fiction and I'm a bit sad that this journey is over. Oh well, onto more books!
Maui
WoWie

Postby Hermanator X on Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:30 am

Hey Maui,

Glad you enjoyed them. They are superb. The first one is definately the best, and as a belated reply to your questions, Ive only seen the first movie.
The second is supposed to strip out a little too much of the story, and didnt quite quite as good reviews. But im sure I will end up watching them sometime.
The casting is well off for Blomqvist though. I pictured someone closer to Trond Espen Seim, who plays Varg Veum (A norwegian private investigator, movies are worth checking out) rather than the saggy old fart which was cast.

Its a real shame that his legacy is turning into a financial war between the people he left behind. He had no will so control of his estate went to his parents, who he didnt contact too much, and his life partner is left out in the cold, with measly offerings from the parents. But she does have the layouts for some further books on a laptop belonging to him, which she hopes to write sometime when the legal issues are settled.

It is quite funny how the main focus around the books is all about Salander, while the books themselves, particularly hornets nest, dont really seem to contain much of Salander herself, mainly people finding information about her. ie. She doesnt really do much, its mainly about what she did do a long time ago and what happened to her. Its not a complaint, its just an unusual device, but she is such a strong character that with little involvement she still shines out as the main focus. I guess I want some more love for Blomqvist, who is awesome.

Sorry for the late reply, but things been a bit hectic for me lately!
...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Postby Bloo on Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:02 am

LOST by Greogry MacGuire

starts off slow, but is getting better, lot different take then WICKED though at least so far
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby Maui on Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:58 pm

Hermanator X wrote:Hey Maui,

Glad you enjoyed them. They are superb. The first one is definately the best, and as a belated reply to your questions, Ive only seen the first movie.
The second is supposed to strip out a little too much of the story, and didnt quite quite as good reviews. But im sure I will end up watching them sometime.
The casting is well off for Blomqvist though. I pictured someone closer to Trond Espen Seim, who plays Varg Veum (A norwegian private investigator, movies are worth checking out) rather than the saggy old fart which was cast.

Its a real shame that his legacy is turning into a financial war between the people he left behind. He had no will so control of his estate went to his parents, who he didnt contact too much, and his life partner is left out in the cold, with measly offerings from the parents. But she does have the layouts for some further books on a laptop belonging to him, which she hopes to write sometime when the legal issues are settled.

It is quite funny how the main focus around the books is all about Salander, while the books themselves, particularly hornets nest, dont really seem to contain much of Salander herself, mainly people finding information about her. ie. She doesnt really do much, its mainly about what she did do a long time ago and what happened to her. Its not a complaint, its just an unusual device, but she is such a strong character that with little involvement she still shines out as the main focus. I guess I want some more love for Blomqvist, who is awesome.

Sorry for the late reply, but things been a bit hectic for me lately!

No worries. I agree, out of the three books (which are all excellent), I also found The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo the superior read, then The Girl Who Played with Fire. Book 3 is definitely more of a fact finding mission and how all these SIS goons are connected to SAPO. Salander spends 3/4's of the book in a hospital bed with her Palm Tungsten (which I also found delightful how she could hack into networks with her handheld). I'll say the casting for Blomkvist is off. Geesh. When I watched Män som hatar kvinnor, I thought you got to be kidding me. This is Kalle Blomkvist. Michael Nyqvist who portrayed this part just came off very timid/unagressive. Did not work for me at all. I googled the actor you felt better suited for the part and you are dead on. This is exactly how I pictured Blomkvist to be in the books. Older but attractive (he's rather dreamy imo). :shock:

I still have to see Flickan som lekte med elden, which has a different director, Daniel Alfredson. He also directed the final film, Luftslottet som sprängdes. I really enjoyed the 1st film, it was a very faithful adaptation. That rape scene with Bjurman and Salander was explicit, just as it was in the book. Payback's a bitch though. lol

It's funny you should mention the earnings from Larsson's work as I was curious about it. It's really unfortunate that he wasn't able to see the worldwide success that his books have become. Sucks his family is being shitty about it.
Maui
WoWie

Postby Hermanator X on Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:18 am

Heres a great article on the troubles surrounding his estate. More interesting than the average disputes. Link

It also goes into some of his background, and you can see why "that" scene is so pivotal, painful and real.
...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Postby Al Shut on Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:40 pm

Felidae by Akif Pirincci in order to compare it to the movie which I rewatched. So far it's closer than I would have thought.
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby Al Shut on Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:52 pm

And while I'm at it 'Francis', the second book of the series
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby Maui on Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:58 pm

Hermanator X wrote:Heres a great article on the troubles surrounding his estate. More interesting than the average disputes. Link

It also goes into some of his background, and you can see why "that" scene is so pivotal, painful and real.

Thanks HX! :) Very interesting article. I'll be curious to see if a Hollywood director latches onto this story. Definitely could see QT or Scorsese doing this.
BTW, I watched the 2nd film last night and wasn't very impressed. It dragged along in many parts and the acting was very stiff. They did introduce Salander's half brother, Ronald Niedermann, which was good casting. He was like a big, blonde Swedish terminator. Watch out Dolf!
Maui
WoWie

Postby magicmonkey on Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:33 am

I'm reading a collection of Ibsen plays at the moment. Have finished Ghosts and A Doll's House and am about to start An Enemy of the People. It really has been fascinating reading so far and feels remarkably fresh in subject matter. It makes me want to set up my own theatre troupe.
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby Bloo on Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:35 am

magicmonkey wrote:I'm reading a collection of Ibsen plays at the moment. Have finished Ghosts and A Doll's House and am about to start An Enemy of the People. It really has been fascinating reading so far and feels remarkably fresh in subject matter. It makes me want to set up my own theatre troupe.

I'm actually in the process of doing that very thing except more community theater
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

PreviousNext

Return to AICN Books