What Are You Reading?

This forum caters to our literary tastes.

Postby Maui on Tue Dec 11, 2007 5:48 pm

MadCapsule wrote:
Maui wrote:
MadCapsule wrote:
Maui wrote:
MadCapsule wrote:Currently reading Shogun by James Clavell and The Collected Poems of W.B. Yeats.

Oh good stuff - Shogun was great. I love Clavell. Have you also read Noble House and Gai Jin?

No, I haven't. Shogun is my first exposure to Clavell. Do Noble House and Gai Jin tie-in to Shogun at all?

Well there are 6 books in total - Clavell's Asian Saga.

Shogun
Tai Pan
Gai Jin
King Rat
Noble House
Whirlwind

Not necessarily tie ins (if my feeble mind can remember) some good historical accuracies though in his books with great storylines.

If you get a chance and I don't even know if it's on DVD - there was a Shogun miniseries with Richard Chamberlain. Worth viewing.

Six? Oh god! Lemme guess, they're phone book-sized like Shogun, aren't they?

Yeah, I remember the mini-series from when I was a kid, but I don't recall ever seeing it. I only know that it exists.

They are fairly lengthy reads!
Maui
WoWie

Postby konkrete590 on Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:01 am

Mrs. McClane, I love the Preacher series!

I'm currently re-reading Cabal by Clive Barker. After this I will read the new Rome book, Anthony and Cleopatra, by Colleen McCullough.
konkrete590
GLIB

Postby RogueScribner on Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:19 am

I just finished Adventures of Huckleberry Finn which was good, but I'm not sure I liked all the antics at the end. It was like as Tom and Huck were playing a joke on Jim Twain was playing a joke on the reader. Until that point it was a pretty good read, though.

Before that, I read Watchmen which I liked, but didn't love. I really liked the ideas the story explored, but most of the characters were pretty dull so my enjoyment was lessened on that front. I really liked Rorschach, the crazy bastard.

I'm currently reading Serenity Found, the second book of essays about Firefly edited by Jane Espenson. It addresses the movie, as well. So far, so good. There's only been two essays i didn't much care for so far, but the others have been interesting and funny reads. Damn, I miss this show.
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby Vegeta on Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:04 am

Currently I am reading Shutter Island by Dennis Lehane. Since Scorcese is adapting it to film, I thought I would give it a read.
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby St. Alphonzo on Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:54 pm

Has anybody read the new Clive Barker yet?

Mister B. Gone

I've always been fan of Barker, but quite honestly I was seeing a descending slope on his last few "adult" novels. I actually re-shelved Coldheart Canyon after a couple of chapters... I've been meaning to get back to it, but it just didn't grab me.
ImageImage
St. Alphonzo
Patron Saint

Postby WalterBunny on Sun Dec 16, 2007 2:01 am

Currently re-reading Palahniuk's Survivor. It's fun, plus it informs the crap I'm writing.

I picked up a hardcover copy of Norman Mailer's Harlot's Ghost last night to turn into a book safe. Maybe I'll read it before I start gluing and cutting. Maybe not.
WalterBunny
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby Vegeta on Fri Dec 21, 2007 2:12 pm

Just finished Shutter Island by Dennis Lehane. Quick read and quite good as well. I think it will make an excellent film in the right hands, and Scorcese is definetly a good candidate. Oddly, the story reminded of the fim Memento in several ways, though I will not go deeply into the specifics as to why.
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby Crimson King on Sun Dec 23, 2007 6:25 am

I had to return Player Piano to the library, so I'll have another go at it some other time. I think I'm gonna read Catch-22 next, since I've never read it.
English, motherfucker! Do you speak it?!?
Crimson King
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby junesquad on Sun Dec 23, 2007 12:12 pm

I've given White Oleander another visit during this past week. I enjoy it a lot better than the movie and it is a very movie story.
Junesquad
junesquad
AIRWOLF

Postby CeeBeeUK on Sun Dec 23, 2007 1:20 pm

I've just started I am Legend, inspired by everyone praising it in the movie review threads.
CeeBeeUK
WAIRWOLF GAME

Postby Maui on Sun Dec 23, 2007 1:30 pm

CeeBeeUK wrote:I've just started I am Legend, inspired by everyone praising it in the movie review threads.

I wanna read this as well CB!

At the moment I am staring at a bookshelf of wonderful books unable to decide on which one to start. :roll:
Maui
WoWie

Postby minstrel on Sun Dec 23, 2007 2:05 pm

I'm reading a big biography of Ernest Hemingway.
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby thomasgaffney on Sun Dec 23, 2007 3:51 pm

CeeBeeUK wrote:I've just started I am Legend, inspired by everyone praising it in the movie review threads.

Great story. After reading it and the movie spoilers, I never want to see the movie, though.

Some of the other short stories are good as well.
find me: twitter and goodreads
find my book: amazon
thomasgaffney
a might unpredictable

Postby St. Alphonzo on Sun Dec 23, 2007 8:51 pm

Crimson King wrote:I had to return Player Piano to the library, so I'll have another go at it some other time. I think I'm gonna read Catch-22 next, since I've never read it.

WooHoo!!! My absolute favorite book... and I'd guess it's that way for a few other Zoners as well (Vicar springs to mind..).
ImageImage
St. Alphonzo
Patron Saint

Postby so sorry on Wed Jan 02, 2008 5:18 pm

Books I got on Christmas:

Christopher/JRR Tolkien - The Children of Hurin
I can't wait to start this, but I'm worried that I will be mired in Simmarillion-like names and prose.

Michael Smerconish - Muzzled
Local talk show host who has a great take on politics/political correctness

The Annotated Godfather: The Complete Screenplay
Didn't ask for this, but the wife knows I'm a Godfather fanatic.
I haven't put this down yet. Its filled with anecdotes and sidebar stuff (all of which may or may not be covered in the DVD commentaries, but I haven't sat thru those yet). I fucking love this book, and its already filled in some holes that always bothered me, as well as fun trivia (the casting antics for this film are amazing). I will be watching my DVDs with this book in front of me for sure.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Wed Jan 02, 2008 5:36 pm

Hehehe... the Dino, he hadda the chance a to peruse a the Moby Dick: A the Pop-Uppa Book by a the Sam Ita, eh?

It's a the very inna'teresting take onna the Melville's novel, done inna the funny book format combined with alla the pop-uppa visuals anna effects, eh? Adult subject matter presented inna the childish way, so it's a the perfect book for alla you putzes, no?
DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN

Postby Ribbons on Wed Jan 02, 2008 5:48 pm

DinoDeLaurentiis wrote:Adult subject matter presented inna the childish way, so it's a the perfect book for alla you putzes, no?

I actually looked through that too! The amount and size of "pop-up effects" that Ita can fit on a single page (or two, I guess) is pretty extraordinary.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:12 am

Ribbons wrote:I actually looked through that too! The amount and size of "pop-up effects" that Ita can fit on a single page (or two, I guess) is pretty extraordinary.

Yes... with alla the side flaps anna such, Ita exploits a the medium inna the best a way to tell a the tale of a the whale, no? Anna the full model of a the Pequod, complete with a the little bits of a the string for a the rigging, she is a the most impressive piece, eh?
DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN

Postby Wolfpack on Fri Jan 04, 2008 5:38 pm

Reading Outbound Flight by Timothy Zahn. It deals with a little piece of the Star Wars saga he mentioned in his Thrawn trilogy.
"Alright Shaggy - you and Scooby head over that way. The girls and I will go this way."
Wolfpack
AIRWOLF

Postby thomasgaffney on Fri Jan 04, 2008 5:39 pm

Wolfpack wrote:Reading Outbound Flight by Timothy Zahn. It deals with a little piece of the Star Wars saga he mentioned in his Thrawn trilogy.

Is this new? I loved the Zahn Thrawn books. Let us know how it is!
thomasgaffney
a might unpredictable

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Fri Jan 04, 2008 5:50 pm

thomasgaffney wrote:
Wolfpack wrote:Reading Outbound Flight by Timothy Zahn. It deals with a little piece of the Star Wars saga he mentioned in his Thrawn trilogy.

I've read it Gaffers, it's been out for a bit but recently came out in paperback, I think.

It's not nearly as good as the Thrawn books, but it's worth picking up if you like Thrawn, as he's featured prominently...along with Obi-Wan, Anakin, C'Baoth (the original, not the clone), Palpatine and some others. It's a prequel-era book.
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby thomasgaffney on Fri Jan 04, 2008 5:52 pm

Lord Voldemoo wrote:
thomasgaffney wrote:

I've read it Gaffers, it's been out for a bit but recently came out in paperback, I think.

It's not nearly as good as the Thrawn books, but it's worth picking up if you like Thrawn, as he's featured prominently...along with Obi-Wan, Anakin, C'Baoth (the original, not the clone), Palpatine and some others. It's a prequel-era book.

Moochas Gracias! get it? moochas. cause you're a cow. moo. get it?
thomasgaffney
a might unpredictable

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Fri Jan 04, 2008 5:58 pm

thomasgaffney wrote:
Lord Voldemoo wrote:
thomasgaffney wrote:

I don't get it.

I'm offended.

heheheh, here's the blurb on it from Amazon:
From Publishers Weekly
Another puzzle piece in the Star Wars universe falls into place with this action-packed prequel to Hugo-winner Zahn's Star Wars: Survivor's Quest (2004). Familiar characters such as Obi-Wan Kenobi, young Anakin Skywalker and the evil Lord Palpatine (aka Darth Sidious) make appearances, but the true star is Commander Thrawn, a red-eyed, blue-skinned alien. On the Outbound Flight, a mammoth Jedi exploration and colonization vessel sent to far-off reaches of the cosmos to identify potential Force-users and hunt down a lost knight, Jedi Master Jorus C'baoth struggles with an inappropriate lust for power. Thrawn's attack on the ship (secretly influenced by Darth Sidious's agents) insures his own eventual exile from his race and sets other sinister wheels in motion. As these old and new characters wrestle with difficult moral questions, Zahn deftly portrays their inner struggles in fluid prose, while also affirming his status as a skillful creator of dazzling futuristic worlds. Though more time with the doomed Outbound Flight's passengers, who are the subject of Survivor's Quest, would round out the story, the book is nonetheless an enthralling page-turner sure to appeal to its target audience.

I remember thinking that I liked it ok, but I almost always like Zahn's stuff. I DON'T remember that much of the plot, lol, and I probably only read it like 6 months ago so I wouldn't expect it to be life-altering or anything.
Lord Voldemoo

Postby DennisMM on Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:00 pm

Unnatural Death by Michael Baden, former Chief Medical Examer of Manhattan. I fell into it while cross-referencing against The JFK Myths, a book about the assassination by a ballistics expert. Coming up is My Lobotomy, written by a man whose stepmother forced doctors to lobotomize him when he was 12.

I'm ashamed that every time I read the title, I hear Bobby Brown singing, "It's my lobotomy!"
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby instant_karma on Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:07 pm

Lord Voldemoo wrote:
thomasgaffney wrote:
Lord Voldemoo wrote:
thomasgaffney wrote:

I don't get it.

I'm offended.

heheheh, here's the blurb on it from Amazon:
From Publishers Weekly
Another puzzle piece in the Star Wars universe falls into place with this action-packed prequel to Hugo-winner Zahn's Star Wars: Survivor's Quest (2004). Familiar characters such as Obi-Wan Kenobi, young Anakin Skywalker and the evil Lord Palpatine (aka Darth Sidious) make appearances, but the true star is Commander Thrawn, a red-eyed, blue-skinned alien. On the Outbound Flight, a mammoth Jedi exploration and colonization vessel sent to far-off reaches of the cosmos to identify potential Force-users and hunt down a lost knight, Jedi Master Jorus C'baoth struggles with an inappropriate lust for power. Thrawn's attack on the ship (secretly influenced by Darth Sidious's agents) insures his own eventual exile from his race and sets other sinister wheels in motion. As these old and new characters wrestle with difficult moral questions, Zahn deftly portrays their inner struggles in fluid prose, while also affirming his status as a skillful creator of dazzling futuristic worlds. Though more time with the doomed Outbound Flight's passengers, who are the subject of Survivor's Quest, would round out the story, the book is nonetheless an enthralling page-turner sure to appeal to its target audience.

I remember thinking that I liked it ok, but I almost always like Zahn's stuff. I DON'T remember that much of the plot, lol, and I probably only read it like 6 months ago so I wouldn't expect it to be life-altering or anything.

I started reading this about a month ago, got mid way through and haven't looked at it in a couple of weeks. But I'll have to finish it just because. Not a patch on Zahn's original Thrawn trilogy though.
instant_karma
Comes in 4 exciting flavours

Postby darkjedijaina on Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:03 pm

The bookstore at the airport didn't have much of a selection... I wasn't able to pick up ERRB. But I did pick up Diary by Chuck Palahniuk.
darkjedijaina
BAD ASH

Postby thomasgaffney on Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:11 am

Working double-duty here. I'm reading December's BotM, Sharp Objects, and my first Neil Gaiman novel, Neverwhere. Started Neverwhere over the weekend and Sharp Objects on Monday...
thomasgaffney
a might unpredictable

Postby minstrel on Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:22 am

I'm between books right now. I'm reading my Scientific American and Harpers magazines.

I want to read some books that inspire me to write. So I'll be going over some John Gardner books, and I just reread Stephen King's On Writing, and I have a couple of volumes of the Paris Review interviews with writers. Good stuff.

I find that when I'm working hard on my novel, I don't want to read novels. I'm afraid of being influenced.
minstrel

Postby thomasgaffney on Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:29 am

minstrel wrote:I want to read some books that inspire me to write. So I'll be going over some John Gardner books, and I just reread Stephen King's On Writing, and I have a couple of volumes of the Paris Review interviews with writers. Good stuff.

Do you pick up any of the magazines geared towards writers? I currently subscribe to "Writer's Digest Magazine" (http://www.writersdigest.com/) and I also pick up "The Writer Magazine" (http://www.writermag.com/wrt/) from the newsstand. If I had to suggest one, "The Writer Magazine" has been more consistent lately with their articles the get my creativeness going. "Writer's Digest" does get better interviews, though, IMHO.

minstrel wrote:I find that when I'm working hard on my novel, I don't want to read novels. I'm afraid of being influenced.

Hahahahaha! I think the same way, but reading a great sentence/passage can really get me motivated to sit my ass down and write.
thomasgaffney
a might unpredictable

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:54 am

instant_karma wrote:Not a patch on Zahn's original Thrawn trilogy though.

agreed there.

In a fit of Hobbit fever following the announcement of the film, I started re-reading The Hobbit and then LOTR. I'm on The Two Towers now...and I'm reading it out of sequence. One Aragorn/Gimli/Legolas chapter followed by one Frodo/Sam chapter. I've never done that before. I can't decide yet if I like it or if it matters at all.

I'm also listening to Ender's Game on audio on my new iPod while I work out and when I'm in the car. I'd forgotten nearly all of the book, I read it so long ago. I'm enjoying it again.
Lord Voldemoo

Postby minstrel on Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:04 am

thomasgaffney wrote:Do you pick up any of the magazines geared towards writers? I currently subscribe to "Writer's Digest Magazine" (http://www.writersdigest.com/) and I also pick up "The Writer Magazine" (http://www.writermag.com/wrt/) from the newsstand. If I had to suggest one, "The Writer Magazine" has been more consistent lately with their articles the get my creativeness going. "Writer's Digest" does get better interviews, though, IMHO.

Actually, I used to subscribe to Writer's Digest back in the early 80s or so. I had very highfalutin' notions then of wanting to create great literature - my head was very much in the clouds - and I found WD's focus on "writing-to-sell" and how to get noticed by editors, etc. to be kind of soul-crushing. They weren't treating writing as art, nor even as craft, but rather as a kind of mechanical chore intended to earn the writer a paycheck. The focus wasn't on celebrating the creation of high art, but rather on how to churn out sellable crap.

I should give it another try, I suppose. I'm not as down on churning out sellable crap now as I was then.
minstrel

Postby junesquad on Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:24 am

minstrel wrote:I'm not as down on churning out sellable crap now as I was then.

Oh Minstrel, I'm sure you could churn out sellable crap that is both artistic and original...
Junesquad
junesquad
AIRWOLF

Postby Maui on Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:31 pm

I just finished reading The Corrections by Jonathan Franzen. An excellent read.

Now I've started I Love you Beth Cooper by Larry Doyle. This is proving to be most amusing. Doyle is a former writer for the Simpson's show.
Maui
WoWie

Postby lyra belacqua on Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:34 pm

Maui wrote:I just finished reading The Corrections by Jonathan Franzen. An excellent read.

I loved The Corrections. It's one of those books that I really ended up loving by the time I reached the conclusion of the book and I bought a cheap copy of it once with every intention of rereading it to see if it really was as good as I remembered (that was a couple of years ago-still haven't reread it). I recently bought Special Topics in Calmity Physics for the same reason-to reread to see if it was as good the 2nd time through. It seems I buy a lot of books this way. Could be why I have so many. :oops:
lyra belacqua
GEEK GODDESS

Postby junesquad on Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:39 pm

Well, I'm outta school, so my first play is to finish up White Oleander and Wicked (I know I've said this before, but it will truly happen). At first, I will only be reading books to help me prepare for the National Counselors Exam, but after that, I am going to be doing searches to find good books.
Junesquad
junesquad
AIRWOLF

Postby Maui on Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:50 pm

lyra belacqua wrote:
Maui wrote:I just finished reading The Corrections by Jonathan Franzen. An excellent read.

I loved The Corrections. It's one of those books that I really ended up loving by the time I reached the conclusion of the book and I bought a cheap copy of it once with every intention of rereading it to see if it really was as good as I remembered (that was a couple of years ago-still haven't reread it). I recently bought Special Topics in Calmity Physics for the same reason-to reread to see if it was as good the 2nd time through. It seems I buy a lot of books this way. Could be why I have so many. :oops:

Wasn't it excellent Lyra? I just really enjoyed reading about the family dynamic and the relationships that the kids/adults had with their Mom and Dad. How the author cleverly revisited the children's lives through the history of the family home and Mom/Dad relationships.

The deterioration of Alfred's heath was really heartwrenching to read. The different paths each Lambert kid took: Denise, Chip and Gary. Just an excellent book. I'd recommend other bookworms in checking this out as well.

8 out of 10

P.S. You can never have too many books!!! ;)
Maui
WoWie

Postby Will Scarlet on Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:57 pm

Just cracked the cover on a new Connie Willis novella, All Seated on the Ground, and I'm about to dive in to my first Patrick O'Brian, Master and Commander. I just love the darn movie so much I've decided it was high time I met the real Jack Aubrey.

Will Scarlet
Will Scarlet
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Maui on Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:19 am

I just finished I Am Legend last night. Excellent read.

I am going to start Bastard Out of Carolina by Dorothy Allison.
Maui
WoWie

Postby RogueScribner on Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:04 am

I reread two Superman scripts since they were being discussed in a thread here recently. Before then I read the Superman-related novel The Last Days of Krypton which was interesting, but not terribly exciting or full of empathetic characters.

Now I'm reading The Hobbit, which I haven't read since I was in elementary school. And after that I may read Wicked before launching into the Lord of the Rings trilogy, which I've never read.
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby thomasgaffney on Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:10 am

RogueScribner wrote:the Lord of the Rings trilogy, which I've never read.

b4nn3d.
thomasgaffney
a might unpredictable

Postby Maui on Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:12 am

RogueScribner wrote:And after that I may read Wicked before launching into the Lord of the Rings trilogy, which I've never read.

Cool RS! We need to form a club.
Maui
WoWie

Postby RogueScribner on Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:18 am

I've seen the movies multiple times. That counts for something, right? :-P
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby burlivesleftnut on Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:32 am

The Rings Trilogy is amazing. The only muddled part is like the first 100 pages of Fellowship. I wanted to strangle Tom Bombadil.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby RogueScribner on Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:39 am

With the prolonged writers' strike, I'm getting a lot more reading done. It's actually kinda nice.
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby Maui on Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:34 pm

RogueScribner wrote:I've seen the movies multiple times. That counts for something, right? :-P

RS, this is a very elite club. :shock:

Those who have not yet read LOTR!!!

Movies DO NOT count!
Maui
WoWie

Postby RogueScribner on Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:40 pm

Do I have to pay dues to be in this club? What are the benefits? Are there any chapter bylaws?
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby thomasgaffney on Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:52 pm

Starting Jonathan Franzen's The Corrections today!
thomasgaffney
a might unpredictable

Postby Wolfpack on Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:00 pm

Maui wrote:I just finished I Am Legend last night. Excellent read.

I am going to start Bastard Out of Carolina by Dorothy Allison.

Bastard Out of Carolina? Is it about Jesse Helms?
"Alright Shaggy - you and Scooby head over that way. The girls and I will go this way."
Wolfpack
AIRWOLF

Postby Chilli on Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:06 pm

burlivesleftnut wrote:The Rings Trilogy is amazing. The only muddled part is like the first 100 pages of Fellowship. I wanted to strangle Tom Bombadil.

I've tried to get beyond pg50, but its such a tough book to get into. If you get on a roll and beyond pg100, I suspect it'll be much better, but damn if it doesn't want to force you into a state of comprehension beyond 'light' reading.
Bison: [to his architect] The temple above us was the wonder of the ancient world. Bisonopolis shall be the wonder of my world. But I think the food court should be larger. All the big franchises will want in.
Chilli
The Unfriendly Ghost

Postby Maui on Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:49 pm

RogueScribner wrote:Do I have to pay dues to be in this club? What are the benefits? Are there any chapter bylaws?

Dues are in the bylaws. All fees are to be sent to Maui!* Benefits, none really. A plastic ring perhaps.

*I do accept Paypal.
Maui
WoWie

PreviousNext

Return to AICN Books