What Are You Reading?

This forum caters to our literary tastes.

Postby Maui on Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:49 pm

thomasgaffney wrote:Starting Jonathan Franzen's The Corrections today!

Awesome book Gaffney, hope you enjoy it!
Maui
WoWie

Postby Maui on Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:52 pm

Wolfpack wrote:
Maui wrote:I just finished I Am Legend last night. Excellent read.

I am going to start Bastard Out of Carolina by Dorothy Allison.

Bastard Out of Carolina? Is it about Jesse Helms?

That will get just a ...................wuhuh!

This is an oldie but a goodie that I've been meaning to read for quite some time.
Maui
WoWie

Postby Vegeta on Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:04 pm

Just starting "Sacred" by Dennis Lehane. I am really enjoying his Kenzie/Genaro series, good stuff!

I also will be reading "Watchmen" by Alan Moore at home.
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:22 pm

Vegeta wrote:I also will be reading "Watchmen" by Alan Moore at home.

Huzzah, I don't recall, have you read it before??
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby Vegeta on Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:38 pm

Lord Voldemoo wrote:
Vegeta wrote:I also will be reading "Watchmen" by Alan Moore at home.

Huzzah, I don't recall, have you read it before??

No, first time. Chilli and DennisMM's recent exchange regarding it has sparked my interest. Thanks you for pointing it out in the Zonie consideration thread.
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby lyra belacqua on Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:47 pm

Maui wrote:I am going to start Bastard Out of Carolina by Dorothy Allison.

Another awesome, awesome book. It'll make you want to read her next one, which I can't remember the name of or even what it's about, but I think I loved it even more.
lyra belacqua
GEEK GODDESS

Postby Maui on Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:49 pm

lyra belacqua wrote:

Another awesome, awesome book. It'll make you want to read her next one, which I can't remember the name of or even what it's about, but I think I loved it even more.

Yeah, my sister recommended it to me. Lyra, you need to check out "I Love You, Beth Cooper" by Larry Doyle. I think you'd like it.
Maui
WoWie

Postby lyra belacqua on Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:52 pm

Maui wrote:
RogueScribner wrote:Do I have to pay dues to be in this club? What are the benefits? Are there any chapter bylaws?

Dues are in the bylaws. All fees are to be sent to Maui!* Benefits, none really. A plastic ring perhaps.

*I do accept Paypal.

Wait! I thought I was the treasurer. Send dues my way. :-P

Okay, I'll just be the secretary. And the benefits include being in a club with Maui and me-that should be enough.
lyra belacqua
GEEK GODDESS

Postby lyra belacqua on Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:53 pm

Maui wrote:Lyra, you need to check out "I Love You, Beth Cooper" by Larry Doyle. I think you'd like it.

It's on my list, but I've got Joe Hill's SS collection next and then Jan's book of the month (which my library has to get for me ILL).
lyra belacqua
GEEK GODDESS

Postby thomasgaffney on Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:55 pm

lyra belacqua wrote:I've got Joe Hill's SS collection next

I just picked that up after loving Heart-Shaped Box! If you get to it before I do, and you should, let me know how it is!
find me: twitter and goodreads
find my book: amazon
thomasgaffney
a might unpredictable

Postby Maui on Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:00 pm

lyra belacqua wrote:
Maui wrote:Lyra, you need to check out "I Love You, Beth Cooper" by Larry Doyle. I think you'd like it.

It's on my list, but I've got Joe Hill's SS collection next and then Jan's book of the month (which my library has to get for me ILL).

Highly recommend it - it's witty, madcap kinda tale with alot of pop culture references. I think you would dig it.
Maui
WoWie

Postby Chilli on Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:02 pm

Vegeta wrote:
Lord Voldemoo wrote:Huzzah, I don't recall, have you read it before??

No, first time. Chilli and DennisMM's recent exchange regarding it has sparked my interest. Thanks you for pointing it out in the Zonie consideration thread.

I can guarantee you'll have a strong reaction to it. The material isn't something you can be too 'meh' about. Look forward to your response.
Bison: [to his architect] The temple above us was the wonder of the ancient world. Bisonopolis shall be the wonder of my world. But I think the food court should be larger. All the big franchises will want in.
Chilli
The Unfriendly Ghost

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:06 pm

Agreed, Chilli.

Look forward to your thoughts on it, Veg.
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby Wolfpack on Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:26 pm

I'm 300 pages into Outbound Flight now. While it does not grab me as Zahn's Thrawn Triolgy did, I am still enjoying myself. Thrawn is showing the tactical genius he will exemplify years later, though he isn't yet as formiddable a villain as in TTT.

The real Jorus C'baoth is a complete douche. Total toolbox. I can see why his clone became a Dark Jedi, coupling the "clone madness" glitch with his personality.
"Alright Shaggy - you and Scooby head over that way. The girls and I will go this way."
Wolfpack
AIRWOLF

Postby Maui on Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:52 am

RogueScribner wrote:With the prolonged writers' strike, I'm getting a lot more reading done. It's actually kinda nice.

I am too and it IS kinda nice. I don't really miss the idiot box that much either.
Maui
WoWie

Postby Wolfpack on Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:57 am

Maui wrote:
RogueScribner wrote:With the prolonged writers' strike, I'm getting a lot more reading done. It's actually kinda nice.

I am too and it IS kinda nice. I don't really miss the idiot box that much either.

But it misses YOU! Why must you make it cry? It's telling you, "But Maui! I can still make you happy!"

Television - teacher, mother, secret lover.
"Alright Shaggy - you and Scooby head over that way. The girls and I will go this way."
Wolfpack
AIRWOLF

Postby Maui on Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:02 am

Wolfpack wrote:
Maui wrote:

But it misses YOU! Why must you make it cry? It's telling you, "But Maui! I can still make you happy!"

I'm just waiting for Dexter, Bill Maher and Big Love to return.
Maui
WoWie

Postby Fievel on Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:16 pm

Maui wrote:
Wolfpack wrote:
Maui wrote:

Bill Maher IS back! 8-)

...and Dexter is going to debut on Network TV next month.... :shock: :?: :!: :?:
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Maui on Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:39 pm

Fievel wrote:
Maui wrote:
Wolfpack wrote:
Maui wrote:

Bill Maher IS back! 8-)

...and Dexter is going to debut on Network TV next month.... :shock: :?: :!: :?:

Yeah, I forgot to watch Maher last night!!!!! I'll catch it again.
Maui
WoWie

Postby Maui on Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:34 pm

lyra belacqua wrote:

I finished this yesterday. An excellent and disturbing read. Allison writes beautifully and captures the South in a very thoughtful way.

Lyra, if you remember - let me know what the other book is, could it be Cavedweller?
Maui
WoWie

Postby lyra belacqua on Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:47 pm

Yes, I do think it was. Although, it was years ago-I think I was a freshman in college-and I can't be sure. But looking at the dates they were released on Amazon makes it seem like Cavedweller is my only option. I'm pretty sure I read Trash (which is SS) but I also swear I read it before 2002. So I may not know what the hell I'm talking about.
lyra belacqua
GEEK GODDESS

Postby Maui on Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:49 pm

Ok cool! I'll check it out! Thanks! :)
Maui
WoWie

Postby Maui on Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:17 pm

Finally, I'm reading The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver.

A good friend of mine gave it to me for Xmas and he's been on my case to read it, so guess what? I am!

:)
Maui
WoWie

Postby thomasgaffney on Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:19 pm

Still reading Jonathan Franzen's The Corrections (I WILL get done the book, Maui), plus I just started the first short story in Joe Hill's 20th Century Ghosts. Lyra, I'll finally let you know what I think!
thomasgaffney
a might unpredictable

Postby Maui on Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:27 pm

thomasgaffney wrote:Still reading Jonathan Franzen's The Corrections (I WILL get done the book, Maui), plus I just started the first short story in Joe Hill's 20th Century Ghosts. Lyra, I'll finally let you know what I think!

I found this funny - read it a while back. Oprah's at it again, looks like she's working through the alphabet. The letter "F". James Frey, Jonathan Franzen....

Oprah Winfrey has decided that she's more important than any of the people she interviews. She makes herself the cover girl of every issue of her own magazine, and the only way to approach her is on your knees. Too bad, because lots of people are far more important and valuable than she is, and one of them is Jonathan Franzen. Franzen made the mistake of being honest about Oprah, saying things many people have felt for a long time. As a result she's doing everything in her power to snub his book and hurt him. This only shows her true character in all its petty arrogance, and it's not a pretty sight. I'm sure it doesn't matter to Franzen -- one less uncomfortable dinner to sit through. And his book will be read and studied, cried and laughed over long after Oprah is forgotten, one more trivial footnote in television history. But it pisses me off because Franzen is a great writer who deserves better from the vain, pouting tyrants of daytime TV.
Maui
WoWie

Postby Vegeta on Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:31 pm

Reading "Gone Baby, Gone"... just burning through Dennis Lehane's Kenzie/Genaro series. Very enjoyable books.
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby MonkeyM666 on Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:52 am

Nothing. I'm not reading a thing. Can anyone suggest anything light and interesting for me to grab?
MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Ribbons on Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:08 am

Well, I've heard some good things about I Love You Beth Cooper. That's supposed to be a pretty light novel, from what I understand.

Also, I've pimped this bad boy a couple of times, but King Dork by Frank Portman is a fun (and short!) read.

They're both kind of high school shenanigans/pop-cult books though. Is there anything you're looking for specifically?
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby lyra belacqua on Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:07 pm

Maui wrote:Finally, I'm reading The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver.

A good friend of mine gave it to me for Xmas and he's been on my case to read it, so guess what? I am!

I've read it twice now. I love it so so much. A good companion to it (although in completely different ways, but the theme of the Africa and young white girls run through both) is James Tiptree, Jr.: The Double Life of Alice B. Sheldon by Julie Phillips. I just happened to read them within a few months of each other and I thought they complemented each other quite well. Plus, I learned a ton about SF writing in the 50s-70s.

The Tiptree biography is just really good all the way around.
lyra belacqua
GEEK GODDESS

Postby Maui on Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:19 pm

lyra belacqua wrote:
Maui wrote:Finally, I'm reading The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver.

I've read it twice now. I love it so so much. A good companion to it (although in completely different ways, but the theme of the Africa and young white girls run through both) is James Tiptree, Jr.: The Double Life of Alice B. Sheldon by Julie Phillips. I just happened to read them within a few months of each other and I thought they complemented each other quite well. Plus, I learned a ton about SF writing in the 50s-70s.

The Tiptree biography is just really good all the way around.

Yeah, good to know!!!

Both my Mom and sister loved Poisonwood. I started it last night, so far really enjoying it.
Maui
WoWie

Postby Maui on Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:20 pm

Ribbons wrote:Well, I've heard some good things about I Love You Beth Cooper. That's supposed to be a pretty light novel, from what I understand.

Also, I've pimped this bad boy a couple of times, but King Dork by Frank Portman is a fun (and short!) read.

They're both kind of high school shenanigans/pop-cult books though. Is there anything you're looking for specifically?

Beth Cooper is hilarious. Incredibly light novel, took me a day to read it. I'd recommend it.
Maui
WoWie

Postby Fawst on Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:26 pm

Just about to finish World War Z, have already started reading Dune (FINALLY! I've moved past page 6! That means I'm truly reading it!), and will be reading Dexter In The Dark once I'm done with Dune. Or maybe both at the same time. I'll need something light (sorta) to counter Dune.
Prince of the Land of Stench!
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Al Shut on Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:53 pm

"Lassen Sie es mich so sagen - Dombrowski deutet die Zeichen der Zeit" by Georg Schramm

Texts from 20 years of political cabaret, introdfuced and commented in character as angry, raging pensioner. Pitch black and highly entertaining!
Note to myself: Fix this image shit!
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby Al Shut on Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:46 pm

Finally got my hands on a copy of Talisman.

I seem to remember hearing some positive things about it here, now I'm 15 or somewhat chapters in and not impressed at all, even slightly disapointed. But peoples favorite parts seem yet to come so maybe it'll get better.
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby Pacino86845 on Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:48 am

Has anyone ever read Roald Dahl's My Uncle Oswald? I'm about halfway through and so far it's really brilliant. I guess it's aimed at adults, and is basically an aphrodisiac/artifical-insemination satire. It's a quick and easy read, but rife with wit and humor.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby thomasgaffney on Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:16 am

Al_Shut wrote:Finally got my hands on a copy of Talisman.

I seem to remember hearing some positive things about it here, now I'm 15 or somewhat chapters in and not impressed at all, even slightly disapointed. But peoples favorite parts seem yet to come so maybe it'll get better.

The Stephen King/Peter Straub Talisman? It does start off slow with Jack talking about his wasting-away mother at the Alhambra, but once he flips into the Territories it really takes off. I hope you stick with it, Al.
thomasgaffney
a might unpredictable

Postby Al Shut on Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:38 pm

I did stick (okay I admitt I started skimming the pages once he actualy got to the Talisman) but for me it never took off.

Somehow I got in a mood were I started nitpicking about things I probably would have given a pass in every other book (When does he drink? Whine, whine, bitch, bitch :roll: ). Than on the other hand the book seemded to have the mysretious ability to identify the issues I have with it and then rub them in my face.

It does come close a few times but overall it was meh at best
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby Wolfpack on Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:40 pm

I am reading Battle Surgeons, the first of two books in the Star Wars: Medstar series. It's not Zahn material, but it suffices.
Wolfpack
AIRWOLF

Postby Vegeta on Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:59 pm

Currently am reading "Zodiac" by Robert Graysmith... dry, but interesting.
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby Fievel on Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:56 pm

Al_Shut wrote:I did stick (okay I admitt I started skimming the pages once he actualy got to the Talisman) but for me it never took off.

Somehow I got in a mood were I started nitpicking about things I probably would have given a pass in every other book (When does he drink? Whine, whine, bitch, bitch :roll: ). Than on the other hand the book seemded to have the mysretious ability to identify the issues I have with it and then rub them in my face.

It does come close a few times but overall it was meh at best

Did you finish it?

And.. have you read The Dark Tower series yet? If so, you should immediately read Black House - the sequel to Talisman.
If you haven't, then you should read The Dark Tower series.... because it just fuggin rocks.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Al Shut on Sat Feb 23, 2008 8:01 am

Fievel wrote:Did you finish it?

Yep although a lot details of the ending got lost due to skimming.

Fievel wrote:And.. have you read The Dark Tower series yet?

Someday I will

Fievel wrote: If so, you should immediately read Black House - the sequel to Talisman.

I doubt I ever will :?
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby darkjedijaina on Sun Feb 24, 2008 9:31 am

Al_Shut wrote:
Fievel wrote:Did you finish it?

Yep although a lot details of the ending got lost due to skimming.

Fievel wrote:And.. have you read The Dark Tower series yet?

Someday I will

Fievel wrote: If so, you should immediately read Black House - the sequel to Talisman.

I doubt I ever will :?

I've not read Talisman or any of the other Dark Tower books, though I did read Black House and quite enjoyed it. I've read that one a few times.
darkjedijaina
BAD ASH

Postby Maui on Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:19 am

After Dark by Haruki Murakami

This is the March selection for my book club with 3D people! :shock:

Murakami's 12th work of fiction is darkly entertaining and more novella than novel. Taking place over seven hours of a Tokyo night, it intercuts three loosely related stories, linked by Murakami's signature magical-realist absurd coincidences. When amateur trombonist and soon-to-be law student Tetsuya Takahashi walks into a late-night Denny's, he espies Mari Asai, 19, sitting by herself, and proceeds to talk himself back into her acquaintance. Tetsuya was once interested in plain Mari's gorgeous older sister, Eri, whom he courted, sort of, two summers previously. Murakami then cuts to Eri, asleep in what turns out to be some sort of menacing netherworld. Tetsuya leaves for overnight band practice, but soon a large, 30ish woman, Kaoru, comes into Denny's asking for Mari: Mari speaks Chinese, and Kaoru needs to speak to the Chinese prostitute who has just been badly beaten up in the nearby "love hotel" Kaoru manages. Murakami's omniscient looks at the lives of the sleeping Eri and the prostitute's assailant, a salaryman named Shirakawa, are sheer padding, but the probing, wonderfully improvisational dialogues Mari has with Tetsuya, Kaoru and a hotel worker named Korogi sustain the book until the ambiguous, mostly upbeat dénouement.
Maui
WoWie

Postby stereosforgeeks on Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:08 am

Maui wrote:After Dark by Haruki Murakami

This is the March selection for my book club with 3D people! :shock:

Murakami's 12th work of fiction is darkly entertaining and more novella than novel. Taking place over seven hours of a Tokyo night, it intercuts three loosely related stories, linked by Murakami's signature magical-realist absurd coincidences. When amateur trombonist and soon-to-be law student Tetsuya Takahashi walks into a late-night Denny's, he espies Mari Asai, 19, sitting by herself, and proceeds to talk himself back into her acquaintance. Tetsuya was once interested in plain Mari's gorgeous older sister, Eri, whom he courted, sort of, two summers previously. Murakami then cuts to Eri, asleep in what turns out to be some sort of menacing netherworld. Tetsuya leaves for overnight band practice, but soon a large, 30ish woman, Kaoru, comes into Denny's asking for Mari: Mari speaks Chinese, and Kaoru needs to speak to the Chinese prostitute who has just been badly beaten up in the nearby "love hotel" Kaoru manages. Murakami's omniscient looks at the lives of the sleeping Eri and the prostitute's assailant, a salaryman named Shirakawa, are sheer padding, but the probing, wonderfully improvisational dialogues Mari has with Tetsuya, Kaoru and a hotel worker named Korogi sustain the book until the ambiguous, mostly upbeat dénouement.

I really like reading Murakami's dreamlike prose. Haven't had a chance to read this one yet though ;)
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Maui on Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:29 pm

stereosforgeeks wrote:I really like reading Murakami's dreamlike prose. Haven't had a chance to read this one yet though ;)

Good to know SFG. I've never read any of his books before.
Maui
WoWie

Postby stereosforgeeks on Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:41 pm

Sputnik Sweetheart was my first. I also, really liked The Wind-Up Bird Chronicles.

I hear Kafka on the Shore and Norwegian Wood are supposed to be good as well.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Wolfpack on Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:53 pm

Starting on the second book of the Medstar duology - Jedi Healer.
Wolfpack
AIRWOLF

Postby King Of Nowhere on Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:42 pm

I hate going into book stores.
There's a weird atmosphere in those places, it's like from the moment you walk in people are looking down on you.
No matter what you buy, be it Anne Rice, Douglas Adams, Tolkien or a biography, you get weird looks from the other customers & the staff.
The whole environment just makes me want to walk out & order off Amazon instead.

That being said, the book I'm reading right now is Have Gun Will Travel: The Spectacular Rise & Violent Fall Of Death Row Records, so i wasn't expecting them to say "That's a very good read, a griping story...".

So yeah, while the book I'm reading right now may not be as "classy" as what the rest of you are reading, it kicks ass.
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Postby Wolfpack on Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:21 pm

king_of_nowhere wrote:I hate going into book stores.
There's a weird atmosphere in those places, it's like from the moment you walk in people are looking down on you.
No matter what you buy, be it Anne Rice, Douglas Adams, Tolkien or a biography, you get weird looks from the other customers & the staff.
The whole environment just makes me want to walk out & order off Amazon instead.

That being said, the book I'm reading right now is Have Gun Will Travel: The Spectacular Rise & Violent Fall Of Death Row Records, so i wasn't expecting them to say "That's a very good read, a griping story...".

So yeah, while the book I'm reading right now may not be as "classy" as what the rest of you are reading, it kicks ass.

You get wierd looks because you are not reading the same thing as they are reading. Those types of people have low self esteem and need to be validated by someone having similar literary tastes.
Wolfpack
AIRWOLF

Postby Maui on Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:18 pm

KON,

You need to go to my bookstore in Berkeley. I know it's rather far away for you - but we all look weird in there. So noone bothers to stare, it's the norm. ;)

I just received my "From Hell" from Amazon. Geesh, this is a monster GN!!!
Looking forward to starting it.
Maui
WoWie

PreviousNext

Return to AICN Books