What Are You Reading?

This forum caters to our literary tastes.

Postby stereosforgeeks on Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:21 pm

Im reading The Time Travelers Wife and From Hell.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby bamf on Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:23 pm

Im switching off between Shadow of the Giant and The Fountainhead.

Card is a bit exposition heavy this time around, needs some trimming. I'm liking Rand.
bamf
SUSAN CAGLE

Postby unikrunk on Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:50 pm

Myths for the Modern Age - Edited by Win Scott Eckert

A great collection of essays from writers, scholars, scientists on Philip Jose Farmer’s Wold Newton family (Sherlock Holmes, Fu Manchu, Marlowe, Tarzan, Doc Savage, James Bond, among others).

Love essay titles like The Arms of Tarzan and Fu Manchu vs. Cthulhu

I recommend this book to pretty much anyone, but if you already have a taste for the characters involved it’s a real delectable read.

Also reading cereal boxes and comics...nothing good from the cereal boxes lately, I guess the Lucky Charms pop-o-matic was fun.

Comics, on the other hand, are fucking awesome recently.
He can't' love you back...
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MadCapsule on Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:34 pm

Monster Nation by David Wellington. It's a fun read so far, but not as good as Monster Island was.
MadCapsule
SUSAN CAGLE

Postby Ribbons on Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:00 pm

MadCapsule wrote:Monster Nation by David Wellington. It's a fun read so far, but not as good as Monster Island was.

Don't worry, it's just a name :wink: (up with obscure reference winky!)
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Fievel on Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:12 pm

Duma Key by Stephen King.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby unikrunk on Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:20 am

@Fievel - what's the rumpus with Duma? I like King; is it worth picking up?
He can't' love you back...
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MadCapsule on Wed Mar 19, 2008 3:14 pm

Ribbons wrote:
MadCapsule wrote:Monster Nation by David Wellington. It's a fun read so far, but not as good as Monster Island was.

Don't worry, it's just a name :wink: (up with obscure reference winky!)

I get it, but I don't know what the reference is from. Clue me in?
MadCapsule
SUSAN CAGLE

Postby King Of Nowhere on Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:48 pm

Blood Canticle by Anne Rice.

The last book in the Vampire Chronicles, written before she took part in flame wars on Amazon, before the Jesus fan-fiction & before she insulted most of her fans.

You wouldn't know it was written by the same person as Interview...
It's fucked up & at this point, im not sure if that's a good thing or not, i'm about 100 pages in at the moment so it's too early to tell.
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Postby Fievel on Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:43 pm

unikrunk wrote:@Fievel - what's the rumpus with Duma? I like King; is it worth picking up?

I've got it on audiobook, so my listening time is fairly limited.
So far, so good. I'll post complete thoughts on it when I'm done.

Also just started It by King as well, this in actual book form.

It's like I'm double fisting with Stephen King.
Sweeeeeeeeet!
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

What Are You Reading?

Postby bastard_robo on Sat Apr 05, 2008 3:51 pm

I finally finished BALTIMORE by MIKE MIGNOLA.

It was a good read, but the books structure was a bit... OFF..

the ending also seemed like there will be MORE BALTIMORE books by mignola in the future.
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby minstrel on Sun Apr 06, 2008 2:18 am

I've just started History of Western Philosophy, by Bertrand Russell. This is kind of in tribute to our lost Adam Balm. It's also something that lives on the "other" pillow on my bed, which means I read it when I get into bed and am already usually drunk. Drunk is not a good state to be in when reading Russell. But I'm old and who's going to tell me what to do? None of you young whippersnappers, that's for sure.

There are a great many pages in this book. Most of them, I'm sure, are covered with deep thoughts. I will attempt, no matter what state of mind I'm in, to at least momentarily comprehend them before I snore.
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby Maui on Mon Apr 07, 2008 1:00 pm

Absolutely nothing.

I hate this non reading mode I've been in.

:(
Maui
WoWie

Postby stereosforgeeks on Mon Apr 07, 2008 1:08 pm

Finished these in the last week and a half:
Valis - Philip K. Dick
Foundation - Isaac Asimov
Rendezvous With Rama - Arthur C. Clarke

Now reading:
Childhoods End - Arthur C Clarke
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Maui on Mon Apr 07, 2008 1:31 pm

stereosforgeeks wrote:Finished these in the last week and a half:
Valis - Philip K. Dick

Now reading:

How can you read with that gauze over your eye, SFG?
Maui
WoWie

Postby stereosforgeeks on Mon Apr 07, 2008 2:39 pm

Maui wrote:
stereosforgeeks wrote:Finishe d these in the last week and a half:
Valis - Philip K. Dick

Now reading:

How can you read with that gauze over your eye, SFG?

with great difficulty...
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Al Shut on Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:20 pm

I have been rereading Clive Barker's Galilee.

I really like the book but can someone who lives in the same country please go to Barker's home and slap that bloody putz silly?

"Wouldn't that be a fantastic ending for my ambitious work? After hundreds of pages of tense expectation - nothing"
Note to myself: Fix this image shit!
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby stereosforgeeks on Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:24 pm

Al_Shut wrote:I have been rereading Clive Barker's Galilee.

I really like the book but can someone who lives in the same country please go to Barker's home and slap that bloody putz silly?

"Wouldn't that be a fantastic ending for my ambitious work? After hundreds of pages of tense expectation - nothing"

Hahaha.

I finished Childhood's end yesterday and started A Heartbreaking Work Of Staggering Genius.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Dee E. Goppstober on Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:30 am

I recently found Weaveworld in a second hand bookshop - and am looking forward to re-reading it. I think it's my favourite. But I obviously need to re-read Galilee too- 'coz I don't get your quote: is that just something he wrote in the epilogue? I cannie remember!

Now - however- somehow apt for autumn- I am reading Steinbeck's Grapes of Wrath.
Dee E. Goppstober
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby RogueScribner on Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:36 am

I've been reading The World of King Arthur by Christopher Snyder. It's an interesting examination of the history, literature, and archeology of the sub-Roman era up through the early 20th century detailing the world Arthur would have lived in if he were real, how his story gained popularity, and the different cultural influences that shaped the legend. Good stuff.
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby Al Shut on Wed Apr 16, 2008 5:08 am

Dee E. Goppstober wrote:

But I obviously need to re-read Galilee too- 'coz I don't get your quote: is that just something he wrote in the epilogue? I cannie remember!

It's something the in-book narrator said somewhere in the middle and it kinda fits the pretty open, setting up a sequel Barker didn't bother to write yet, ending.
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby Hermanator X on Wed Apr 16, 2008 5:20 am

Im currently tearing through Alastair Reynolds Chasm City.

Having just read the Revelation Space trilogy, I just cant get enough of the universe he has created.
The scope and ideas just have me grinning ear to ear the whole time im reading, and gonna be a little sad when I exhaust reading all of his stories set in the Revelation space universe.
Im a huge culture fan, and have loved the Iain M Banks books from the get go, but having picked up the new one, Matter recently, I read the intro and put it down to plow on with more Reynolds. Never happened with a Banks book before, so to me its quite an achievment on Reynolds part.

Previous to that I read Don Winslow's Power of the Dog, a thirty year semi fictional story of life inside the mexican drug cartels. Hell of a book, and the 5 years he spent researching it shows.
...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Postby Dee E. Goppstober on Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:33 am

Al_Shut wrote:
Dee E. Goppstober wrote:

But I obviously need to re-read Galilee too- 'coz I don't get your quote: is that just something he wrote in the epilogue? I cannie remember!

It's something the in-book narrator said somewhere in the middle and it kinda fits the pretty open, setting up a sequel Barker didn't bother to write yet, ending.

Hahaha - ok... right, I might wait a while re-reading that one then!
Dee E. Goppstober
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby stereosforgeeks on Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:27 am

I finished A Heart Breaking Work Of Staggering Genius yesterday and I'm starting Dune for the first time today.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby The Vicar on Fri Apr 18, 2008 4:49 pm

I'm re-reading Allen Sherman's classic The Rape of the A*P*E*
(American Puritan Ethic). Some parts don't hold up as well as they did in the 1970s, but other parts are still hi-larious.

Fer instance:

[i]In 1956 the television game show The Price is Right went on the air. In it’s first few weeks it had all the earmarks of a flop. Then producers Goodson & Todman decided to give the show a shot in the arm by bringing a live elephant on and letting the contestants guess its value. The elephant arrived and was concealed until the time for its entrance.

Host Bill Cullen delivered the introduction: the curtain opened and there stood the elephant – moving his bowels.

The director, terrified to have such a thing happen on an already shaky show, swung the camera away from the vulgar beast and took a close up of Cullen. Cullen was doubled up with hilarity. Several times he tried to regain his composure; repeatedly he achieved a solemn, dead-serious look. But every time he began to talk he burst into laughter again.

The frenzied director cut to a shot of the four contestants. They were pounding the table in uncontrollable mirth. The director had a wife and children and was now plainly worried about his job. He swung his camera to a shot of the studio audience. They were in a state of hysterical bedlam.

“This is obscene,â€
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby CeeBeeUK on Fri Apr 18, 2008 5:06 pm

Just about to start A Killing Frost. The final book from the author of the Touch of Frost series.
CeeBeeUK
WAIRWOLF GAME

Postby Spandau Belly on Fri Apr 18, 2008 5:25 pm

I'm reading Heaven's Net Is Wide by Lian Hern, I read one other book in this series and liked it. So far I like this one even more. It's very plot driven but fun if you like Samurai it's a nice light read.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby Fievel on Fri Apr 18, 2008 5:26 pm

Spandau Belly wrote:I'm reading Heaven's Net Is Wide by Lian Hern, I read one other book in this series and liked it. So far I like this one even more. It's very plot driven but fun if you like Samurai it's a nice light read.

Is that the Otori series? I read the first couple of books and then just stopped... and I don't even remember why. I liked what I had read up to that point.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Spandau Belly on Fri Apr 18, 2008 5:39 pm

Yes Fievel, this is a prequel to the Otori series. Good shit.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby MonkeyM666 on Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:40 pm

Terry Pratchett: Thud. Good fun, touches on a lot of modern socal issues while hidden under the veil of teh Discworld. Good for those who have never read Pratchett, and better for those who already love him.

Here's a short wiki plot starter for ya'll...

As the book opens, a dwarven demagogue, Grag Hamcrusher, is apparently murdered, and the only witness is a confused troll called Brick. As ethnic tensions between Ankh-Morpork's troll and dwarf communities mount in the buildup to the anniversary of the Battle Of Koom Valley, Lord Vetinari convinces Commander Vimes to interview a vampire applicant to the Ankh-Morpork City Watch. The new recruit, Lance-Constable Salacia "Sally" von Humpeding, along with Angua and Carrot, is attached to the investigation surrounding Hamcrusher's death....
MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby minstrel on Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:29 pm

Right now I'm not on any books. Just some Scientific American and Harper's articles.

The last book I read was some William Safire book. A collection of his columns on language. I don't remember the title.
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby Lady Sheridan on Sat Apr 19, 2008 12:43 am

I'm forcing myself to get back into my reading habits. I just finished a scholarly treatise on Spartan women, and I'm reading Alison Weir's bio of Queen Isabella, wife of Edward II.

I think I might pick up a bodice ripper to switch between -- I'm trying to decide between Anne Bronte or Collen McCullough...
Lady Sheridan
RED

Postby Lady Sheridan on Sat Apr 19, 2008 12:46 am

Actually...I should mention I just read a cool Connie Willis short story called "The Winds of Marble Arch." I think it is one of the most visceral experiences I've had reading -- not because the story was particularly good, but because it took place entirely in the London Underground. It put me right back to my trip. I've never had that happen before and it was simply eerie.
Lady Sheridan
RED

Postby Peven on Mon May 05, 2008 10:32 am

where is the winkie? i don't see a winkie........

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby lyra belacqua on Thu May 22, 2008 8:52 pm

Loving Frank by Nancy Horan

Heartbreaking. And I love reading about a woman who is questioning what her role is as a woman and a mother and an intellectual being. I hope to have the same quandaries in my life.

It also has made me very interested in Frank Lloyd Wright and his architecture. Oak Park here I come.
lyra belacqua
GEEK GODDESS

Postby Bob Samonkey on Thu May 22, 2008 8:59 pm

You just come over here to flaunt what you are reading don't you...?
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby lyra belacqua on Thu May 22, 2008 9:05 pm

Bob Poopflingius Maximus wrote:You just come over here to flaunt what you are reading don't you...?

The book section is my favorite part of the Zone and the one that never feels overrun (not big on crowds).

And I always love hearing about what everyone else is reading. I've added many a book to my long list of books to read because of this place!
lyra belacqua
GEEK GODDESS

Postby Bob Samonkey on Thu May 22, 2008 9:12 pm

lyra belacqua wrote:
Bob Poopflingius Maximus wrote:You just come over here to flaunt what you are reading don't you...?

The book section is my favorite part of the Zone and the one that never feels overrun (not big on crowds).

And I always love hearing about what everyone else is reading. I've added many a book to my long list of books to read because of this place!

Same here! My book shelf has grown exponentially...
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

What Are You Reading?

Postby bastard_robo on Thu May 22, 2008 9:15 pm

I'm reading GONZO. a biography on Hunter S. Thompson, as told by those who knew him, much like the BELUSHI book.

JOLLY good read
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby DennisMM on Thu May 22, 2008 9:46 pm

I started Patriotic Correctness, about the pressure on university faculty to toe the line on war politics, but I set it aside. I hope to return to it soon.
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby Petri on Fri May 23, 2008 12:00 pm

I finished Small Favor and now I'm going to, once again, try to get through Atlas Shrugged.
Petri
REAL DRAGON

Postby Fried Gold on Fri May 23, 2008 12:02 pm

"Bad Astronomy" by Phil Plait.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DennisMM on Fri May 23, 2008 12:03 pm

Petri wrote:I finished Small Favor and now I'm going to, once again, try to get through Atlas Shrugged.

Please, find a better way to spend 1000 pages.

Seriously, reading several of Rand's nonfiction books (The Virtue of Selfishness, perhaps, as a start) would more likely entertain and inform you of her views. Atlas Shrugged isn't a novel. It's a screed. It works best as a doorstop.
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby Al Shut on Fri May 23, 2008 1:22 pm

I tried to read The girl who loved Tom Gordon.

Got three (four?) chapters in, decided the kid was stupid for getting lost and put it away.
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Sun May 25, 2008 3:32 pm

The Dark Phoenix Saga. Fuck, I had forgotten how wordy Claremont can get.
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DaleTremont on Sun May 25, 2008 4:13 pm

City of Nets. Super-intricate look at Hollywood in the 1940s. Great read so far.
DaleTremont
Loincloth Bronson

Postby stereosforgeeks on Sun May 25, 2008 4:18 pm

I am reading Neuromancer at the moment, but will soon be starting Blindness for BotM.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Carolian on Tue May 27, 2008 2:36 am

I'm reading THE SWORD OF SHANNARA for the first time. I can see what people mean when they talk about how heavily Tolkien-influenced it was, to an insane degree. I like it thus far, but man, it's almost a re-imagining of the Lord of the Rings.

I've just finished the amazing THE LONG GOODBYE by Raymond Chandler. God, what a writer he was.
The whole world's wild at heart and weird on top.

This is a snakeskin jacket. And for me it's a symbol of my individuality, and my belief... in personal freedom.
Carolian
GRANDO CARLISSIAN

Postby magicmonkey on Tue May 27, 2008 3:47 am

Carolian wrote:I'm reading THE SWORD OF SHANNARA for the first time. I can see what people mean when they talk about how heavily Tolkien-influenced it was, to an insane degree. I like it thus far, but man, it's almost a re-imagining of the Lord of the Rings.

Hey , welcome back man. tSoS was my LotR as a youth, I loved it and Allanon. He seemed to bring a bit more of an element of a druidic nature that to my knowledge Gandalf was missing (being more of a wizard than a druid). I think the start of the second book is also damn intense and have remembered it to this day.

Other than that, I've been mostly reading "The Historian" by Elisabeth Kostova, "As Used on the Famous Nelson Mandela: Underground adventures in the arms & torture trade" by Mark Thomas, "The Shock Doctrine" by Naomi Klein and "The End of America" by Naomi Wolf.
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby XOMuffintop on Tue May 27, 2008 12:34 pm

stereosforgeeks wrote:I am reading Neuromancer at the moment, but will soon be starting Blindness for BotM.

Neuromancer is one of my favorite books of all time. I jus finished reading Gibson's newest book and love how he has gone from Sci Fi punk kid to literary lion (with one or two almost lame books in between).

Laugh and the world laughs with you....
XOMuffintop
GLIB

PreviousNext

Return to AICN Books