What Are You Reading?

This forum caters to our literary tastes.

Postby XOMuffintop on Tue May 27, 2008 12:40 pm

Here is what I am currently reading. In the last few months I have read The Road (McCarthy), No Country for Old Men (McCarthy), Bad Luck and Trouble (Lee Child), American Tabloid (for like the 5th time. Jame Ellroy), Ender's Game (Card).

Graphic Novel: V for Vendetta Aside from my monthly pulls, I try and read a GN once a month to fill some of the gaps in my reading and decided to read this now since I am far away enough from the movie to read it on its own merits. I really like it. Moore is one of my favorite writers of any medium and I am kind pissed at myself for not reading this sooner. Reall good, subversive stuff.

Novel: The Stand by King. I read this novel when I was in high school and decided to re-read it after watching a little of the mini-series on Sci Fi last month. Forgot how good it really was and can appreciate a lot more of the novel now that I am 28 as opposed to the 15 year old kid who read it originally.

Laugh and the world laughs with you....
XOMuffintop
GLIB

Postby stereosforgeeks on Tue May 27, 2008 12:40 pm

XOMuffintop wrote:
stereosforgeeks wrote:I am reading Neuromancer at the moment, but will soon be starting Blindness for BotM.

Neuromancer is one of my favorite books of all time. I jus finished reading Gibson's newest book and love how he has gone from Sci Fi punk kid to literary lion (with one or two almost lame books in between).

Welcome to the zone XOMuffintop. You can introduce yourself here.

As for Neuromancer, it's my first Gibson book. Ive also, got Burning Chrome sitting on a shelf waiting to be read as well. Any other suggestions would be great.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Tue May 27, 2008 3:13 pm

stereosforgeeks wrote:Ive also, got Burning Chrome sitting on a shelf waiting to be read as well. Any other suggestions would be great.

i love next book in the Sprawl Trilogy, COUNT ZERO. Third was pretty good as well.

I'd stay away from the Bridge Trilogy, but the middle book, IDORU, maybe his best work...and no worries, you don't have to read the first or the third in that series to appreciate it.

as for the "now" Trilogy, I preferred PATTERN RECOGNITION over SPOOK COUNTRY.

BURNING CHROME is one tight collection...while I love Abel Ferrara, I can't believe how much I loathed his adaptation of NEW ROSE HOTEL...man had Dafoe and Walken and Argento (she was a tad miscast though), and he fucked that up something fierce.
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Tue May 27, 2008 3:14 pm

XOMuffintop wrote:Here is what I am currently reading. In the last few months I have read The Road (McCarthy), No Country for Old Men (McCarthy)

if you liked those, I heartily recommend BLOOD MERIDIAN.

still my favorite book of his.
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby stereosforgeeks on Tue May 27, 2008 3:17 pm

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:
stereosforgeeks wrote:Ive also, got Burning Chrome sitting on a shelf waiting to be read as well. Any other suggestions would be great.

i love next book in the Sprawl Trilogy, COUNT ZERO. Third was pretty good as well.

I'd stay away from the Bridge Trilogy, but the middle book, IDORU, maybe his best work...and no worries, you don't have to read the first or the third in that series to appreciate it.

BURNING CHROME is one tight collection...while I love Abel Ferrara, I can't believe how much I loathed his adaptation of NEW ROSE HOTEL...man had Dafoe and Walken and Argento (she was a tad miscast though), and he fucked that up something fierce.

Thanks for the info KC... I'll have to check out Ferrara's New Rose Hotel after I read to story to see just how wrong it went.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby minstrel on Tue May 27, 2008 3:50 pm

I'm reading bits and pieces of Will Durant's "The Story of Civilization". I picked up a copy of the whole set off Ebay for cheap recently.
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Tue May 27, 2008 3:52 pm

I... can't read.
caruso_stalker217
TOO AGED FOR THIS MALARKEY

Postby travis-dane on Tue May 27, 2008 3:56 pm

caruso_stalker217 wrote:I... can't read.

Fuck man!
I saw that you posted here and wanted to "wiseass" you with a "You can read?" line.....
-
Lesbian Nazi Hookers Abducted by UFOs and Forced Into Weight Loss Programs!
travis-dane
100% OLEG!

Postby Petri on Tue May 27, 2008 4:02 pm

I'm ready House. I've enjoyed both Peretti's and Dekker's previous books but this one is pretty boring.
Petri
REAL DRAGON

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Tue May 27, 2008 4:03 pm

travis-dane wrote:
caruso_stalker217 wrote:I... can't read.

Fuck man!
I saw that you posted here and wanted to "wiseass" you with a "You can read?" line.....

Yeah, I pulled kind of a preemptive strike on your ass.

In truth, I haven't read anything new in quite a while. The next book I will be reading is the new edition of SEAGALOGY. So I think I need to start reading shit again.
caruso_stalker217

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Tue May 27, 2008 4:04 pm

Actually, the most recent book I read was BLAZE by King/Bachman. I thought it was pretty good until it fizzled out in the end.
caruso_stalker217

Postby Brendan M. on Tue May 27, 2008 6:03 pm

Currently reading:

Its been a long time since I read the book after I had already seen the movie based on it.
They will pay.... With rivers of blood!
Brendan M.
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby Maui on Tue May 27, 2008 7:34 pm

XOMuffintop wrote:Here is what I am currently reading. In the last few months I have read The Road (McCarthy), No Country for Old Men (McCarthy), Bad Luck and Trouble (Lee Child), American Tabloid (for like the 5th time. Jame Ellroy), Ender's Game (Card).

Also another McCarthy recommendation, "The Border Trilogy". Regarded as his finest work by the literary community.
Maui
WoWie

Postby magicmonkey on Wed May 28, 2008 7:30 am

stereosforgeeks wrote:
Keepcoolbutcare wrote:

Thanks for the info KC... I'll have to check out Ferrara's New Rose Hotel after I read to story to see just how wrong it went.

Ha, spare yourself the pain, unless you like what ultimately amounts to a crazy old man vanity piece.
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Thanks...

Postby XOMuffintop on Wed May 28, 2008 10:04 am

stereosforgeeks wrote:
XOMuffintop wrote:
stereosforgeeks wrote:I am reading Neuromancer at the moment, but will soon be starting Blindness for BotM.

Neuromancer is one of my favorite books of all time. I jus finished reading Gibson's newest book and love how he has gone from Sci Fi punk kid to literary lion (with one or two almost lame books in between).

Welcome to the zone XOMuffintop. You can introduce yourself here.

As for Neuromancer, it's my first Gibson book. Ive also, got Burning Chrome sitting on a shelf waiting to be read as well. Any other suggestions would be great.

Thanks for the welcome. I am glad to be here and have already made my intros on the board.
XOMuffintop
GLIB

McCarthy

Postby XOMuffintop on Wed May 28, 2008 10:07 am

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:
XOMuffintop wrote:Here is what I am currently reading. In the last few months I have read The Road (McCarthy), No Country for Old Men (McCarthy)

if you liked those, I heartily recommend BLOOD MERIDIAN.

still my favorite book of his.

Yeah, Blood Meridian is in my pile right now but I needed to take a break from McCarthy. Something about his writing really affects me. After reading NCFOM and The Road back to back, I noticed that I have become a little depressed. I will be going back and reading it soon though.

Laugh and the world laughs with you....
XOMuffintop
GLIB

Re: McCarthy

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Wed May 28, 2008 3:51 pm

XOMuffintop wrote:After reading NCFOM and The Road back to back, I noticed that I have become a little depressed. I will be going back and reading it soon though.

heh, good idea.

'cuz BLOOD MERIDIAN will slam that "little" depression into full on manic melancholy...
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby bluebottle on Wed May 28, 2008 4:05 pm

man, as depressing as mcarthy's stuff is - i read the easter parade by richard yates yesterday...

holy shit... that book made me want to kill myself.

check it out!

:)
bluebottle
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby stereosforgeeks on Wed May 28, 2008 4:18 pm

bluebottle wrote:man, as depressing as mcarthy's stuff is - i read the easter parade by richard yates yesterday...

check it out!

In a bathtub with a straight razor... or a bottle of bleach by your side?
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby bluebottle on Wed May 28, 2008 4:19 pm

stereosforgeeks wrote:
bluebottle wrote:m an, as depressing as mcarthy's stuff is - i read the easter parade by richard yates yesterday...

check it out!

In a bathtub with a straight razor... or a bottle of bleach by your side?

long rope in the shed.
bluebottle
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TonyWilson on Wed May 28, 2008 4:58 pm

I'm reading Donna Tartt's A Secret History, great so far but I'm struggiling to understand why it's considered a modern classic.

Also reading a collection of short stories by Gabriel Garcia Marquez, now these really are fantastic, each story is such a pleasure to read - from stream of consciousness to magic realism the stories are all wonderfully lush and evocative self contained universes. Seriously amazing stuff.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby Ribbons on Wed May 28, 2008 5:06 pm

TonyWilson wrote:Also reading a collection of short stories by Gabriel Garcia Marquez, now these really are fantastic, each story is such a pleasure to read - from stream of consciousness to magic realism the stories are all wonderfully lush and evocative self contained universes. Seriously amazing stuff.

I'm finishing another magical realist book right now, House of the Spirits by Isabel Allende. It's been compared to a watered-down version of Marquez's One Hundred Years of Solitude and I can definitely see why (it chronicles several generations of one family and the history of a pastoral South American village), but I'm still digging it a lot.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby TonyWilson on Wed May 28, 2008 5:21 pm

Ribbons wrote:
TonyWilson wrote:Also reading a collection of short stories by Gabriel Garcia Marquez, now these really are fantastic, each story is such a pleasure to read - from stream of consciousness to magic realism the stories are all wonderfully lush and evocative self contained universes. Seriously amazing stuff.

I'm finishing another magical realist book right now, House of the Spirits by Isabel Allende. It's been compared to a watered-down version of Marquez's One Hundred Years of Solitude and I can definitely see why, but I'm still digging it a lot.

That sounds pretty interesting, Ribbons. I read One Hundred Years of Solitude last year and was floored by it since then I have been reading Luis Borges short stories and the aforementioned Marquez collection.

I might give Allende a go though because I've got The Magus waiting for me at the moment and it's looking rather daunting.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby Maui on Wed May 28, 2008 9:00 pm

TonyWilson wrote:That sounds pretty interesting, Ribbons. I read One Hundred Years of Solitude last year and was floored by it since then

If you enjoyed Solitude, give Love in the Time of Cholera a shot. One of my favourites.
Maui
WoWie

Postby Carolian on Thu May 29, 2008 8:55 pm

TonyWilson wrote:I'm reading Donna Tartt's A Secret History, great so far but I'm struggiling to understand why it's considered a modern classic.

I actually didn't know it was. That may have helped, because I just stumbled across it in Borderes one day, thought it sounded interesting, and picked it up. I thought it was fantastic as a whole; very literate, to a degree that a lot of people I've talked to find it a bit pretentious. I didn't, but I can understand the opposite.

Oh, topic? Still working on Shannara, still enjoying it so far.
The whole world's wild at heart and weird on top.

This is a snakeskin jacket. And for me it's a symbol of my individuality, and my belief... in personal freedom.
Carolian
GRANDO CARLISSIAN

Postby stereosforgeeks on Sat May 31, 2008 11:46 am

I finished Nerumancer this morning and am starting Blindness for the June Book of the Month Club.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby RogueScribner on Sat May 31, 2008 7:39 pm

I just got two books from Amazon:

The Complete Making of Indiana Jones

and

Superman vs. Hollywood

I can't wait to read them both (but Superman is first)!!! :)
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby RogueScribner on Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:18 am

I finished reading Supeman vs. Hollywood, a book that recounts the trials and tribulations (and successes) Superman faced to maintain a media presence outside of comic books since his inception. It covers everything from the radio drama, movie serials, animated shorts, all the television series (live action and animated), and, of course, the movies. Some of the stuff towards the end will be well known to many here (since some of it recounts some stuff that happened here at AICN), but there's a wealth of new and interesting information in this book. It's not gossipy. The author interviewed and researched many people and provides citations for everything at the end of the book. Even if you're not a Superman fan, I think anyone with a modicum of interest in how Hollywood works (against itself) will be fascinated by this tale. I'm amazed at some of the tactics Paramount and Warner Bros. used to grab control of this property away from other people. I'm also surprised by some comments of the actors/producers/writers involved. Not everything is as rose-colored as it may seem.

It's a great read! :)

8/10
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby hackett on Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:35 pm

not reading, sort of watching something that was made for something i will be reading?

(if that makes any sesne).

Robin cook's new book, Foreign Body, has a webseries prequel out ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_a0tpu7GB7c

Ah, the uses of the internets....
http://vimeo.com/pandachase - now in technicolor
hackett
MONKEY BUTLER

Re: What Are You Reading?

Postby yorrick brown on Sat Jun 07, 2008 8:24 pm

stephen kings ON WRITING.
Should I call you Bullet? Tooth?
You can call me Susan if it makes you happy.
yorrick brown
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby hackett on Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:34 am

yorrick brown wrote:stephen kings ON WRITING.

I read it before high school... isn't their a chapter where he states :

There are two things that you need to have to be a great writer 1) a pencil 2) a fucked up childhood.
hackett
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby travis-dane on Sun Jun 08, 2008 5:26 am

DEVIL MAY CARE

The NEW James Bond book,by Sebastian Faulks writing as IAN FLEMING.....
It's set after Scaramanga's death and the killing of Bond's wife,a good read so far....
-
Lesbian Nazi Hookers Abducted by UFOs and Forced Into Weight Loss Programs!
travis-dane
100% OLEG!

Postby yorrick brown on Sun Jun 08, 2008 6:32 am

hackett wrote:
yorrick brown wrote:stephen kings ON WRITING.

I read it before high school... isn't their a chapter where he states :

There are two things that you need to have to be a great writer 1) a pencil 2) a fucked up childhood.

hee hee,pretty much and "the editor is always right.'
Should I call you Bullet? Tooth?
You can call me Susan if it makes you happy.
yorrick brown
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby DDMAN26 on Sun Jun 08, 2008 3:54 pm

Some Y the Last Man and Fables trades
DDMAN26
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby pajarerominn on Sun Jun 08, 2008 4:09 pm

now I'm reading a book I love,I read it years ago...Leon Tolstoi's Resurrection.Really great book from one of the greatest classics
the biggest cage in the world it's owned by the Hydraulic Birder
pajarerominn
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby Wolfpack on Sun Jun 08, 2008 4:18 pm

Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader by James Luceno
"Alright Shaggy - you and Scooby head over that way. The girls and I will go this way."
Wolfpack
AIRWOLF

Postby hackett on Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:57 pm

travis-dane wrote:DEVIL MAY CARE

It's set after Scaramanga's death and the killing of Bond's wife,a good read so far....

I've never read a Bond book, would this be a novel i could jump into without knowing much backstory?
hackett
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:19 am

Well, I was on my lunch break a couple days ago and I got bored so I went and bought THE LONESOME GODS by Louis L'Amour so I could read it during my lunch hour and not be bored and this is the only book of his aside from SACKETT'S LAND that I actually find interesting and it seems pretty good so far. So way to go, Louis L'Amour.
caruso_stalker217

Postby Ribbons on Fri Jun 20, 2008 6:25 pm

hackett wrote:

I've never read a Bond book, would this be a novel i could jump into without knowing much backstory?

Does anybody else think there's something slightly manipulative/messed up/messed upulative about someone writing AS Ian Fleming? It's sort of like that one author who wrote a book as Charlotte Bronte a few years ago...
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby tapehead on Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:28 pm

Ribbons wrote:
hackett wrote:

Does anybody else think there's something slightly manipulative/messed up/messed upulative about someone writing AS Ian Fleming? It's sort of like that one author who wrote a book as Charlotte Bronte a few years ago...

...or the Godfather novels written after Mario Puzo's death, or the 'Gone With the Wind' sequel.

I suppose it's a matter of act when a writer's proerty becomes a literary franchise, but that's no reason for us to accept or like it.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby hackett on Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:42 pm

The Secret Life of Houdini: The Making of America's First Superhero
hackett
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby DerLanghaarige on Tue Jul 01, 2008 7:13 am

My copy of Seagalogy finally arrived in the mail today :D
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Postby RogueScribner on Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:31 pm

I just finished reading The Complete Making of Indiana Jones this morning. It starts off as a great read as it goes in depth about the origin of the character and then the development and making of Raiders. It's still a good read as it moves on to behind the scenes of Doom (and further supports the idea that the filmmakers made the film they wanted to make but were offput by the reaction to the finished film which is why they lightened things up in TLC). However, those two sections account for perhaps 2/3 of the book. The last third, covering the making of Last Crusade and Crystal Skull was decidedly less interesting to read. TLC got the short shrift in coverage: this section is largely a picture book with very little in depth coverage of the development and shooting of the movie. It read more like a wikipedia summary and really paled in comparison to the previous sections of the book. i thought it had more to say about the various script incarnations than about the movie itself. The final section covering KotCS was better, but it ends oddly since the movie hadn't been released at the time of the book's publishing. So while all the other sections discuss the reception of the film, this one just ends on some quotes about "doing this for the audience."

Overall, it's a very good book and it's really worth it just for the Raiders section alone. Any fan of Indiana Jones should read this book!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby Wolfpack on Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:03 pm

The Great Hunt by Robert Jordan.
"Alright Shaggy - you and Scooby head over that way. The girls and I will go this way."
Wolfpack
AIRWOLF

Postby Peven on Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:34 pm

was just given "The Good Fairies of New York" by Martin Millar, with an intro by Neil Gaiman, today. anyone read it? is it worth the read?

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby The Vicar on Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:44 am

The Victors by Stephen Ambrose.
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:09 pm

The Vicar wrote:The Victors by Stephen Ambrose.

Let me know what you think. Despite all of the allegations of plagarism, etc., I still really enjoy Ambrose's writing most of the time...
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby BuckyO'harre on Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:43 pm

The Iniate Brother by Sean Russell.
Thank you, Zoners, for the kindness, tolerance, and enlightenment you've shared with me. It may not have been deserved, but it was greatly appreciated nonetheless. Soupy twist.
BuckyO'harre
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Worst Part's Almost Over on Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:05 pm

Currently, I'm only re-reading books that I already own. Big shop next week for titles I'm after.

Jingo by Terry Pratchett
If On A Winter's Night A Traveller by Italo Calvino
Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy by John Le Carre
Worst Part's Almost Over
AIRWOLF

Postby Maui on Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:50 pm

Worst Part's Almost Over wrote:Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy by John Le Carre

Ever read "The Little Drummer Girl", WPAO? It's very good.
Maui
WoWie

PreviousNext

Return to AICN Books