What Are You Reading?

This forum caters to our literary tastes.

Re: What Are You Reading?

Postby Peven on Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:00 pm

Maui wrote:
Worst Part's Almost Over wrote:Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy by John Le Carre

Ever read "The Little Drummer Girl", WPAO? It's very good.

saw the movie when it came out...does that earn any points? :D

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Maui on Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:16 pm

Peven wrote:
Maui wrote:

saw the movie when it came out...does that earn any points? :D

Never saw the movie, any good Peven? Diane Keaton, right?
Maui
WoWie

Postby Peven on Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:24 pm

you know what, i am no Diane Keaton fan by any means, but i remember the movie being pretty good. it has Klaus Kinski as an Isreali Mosad leader, too. good movie to watch with people you can safely discuss politics/global issues with since it doesn't really paint a simplistic goodguy/badguy picture of things....at least from what i remember. like i said, caught it in theatre when it came out in '84 when i was only 16

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Worst Part's Almost Over on Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:09 pm

Maui wrote:

On my to-read list.
Worst Part's Almost Over
AIRWOLF

Postby Maui on Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:22 pm

Worst Part's Almost Over wrote:
Maui wrote:

On my to-read list.

Good good! Let me know what you think of it.
Maui
WoWie

Postby Bloo on Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:53 pm

I just finished Carter Beats the Devil by Glen David Gold, I picked it up on a lark and because of my love of illusions/magic, etc...great book a little slow and I didn't much care for the repeated fast-forwards, but some really good writing in there
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby Crimson King on Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:13 am

Well, I started reading The Yiddish Policemen's Union by Michael Chabon...but I lost it. Then I started reading Diary by Chuck Palahniuk...but lost that one as well. THEN I started reading Neuromancer by William Gibson...but, well, you know...

So now I'm re-reading Good Omens by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett. Haven't lost that one yet. Hopefully won't.
English, motherfucker! Do you speak it?!?
Crimson King
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby King Of Nowhere on Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:31 am

Live From New York: An Uncensored History of Saturday Night Live by Tom Shales & James Andrew Miller.
I'm up to early 1994, which is handy seeing as i read Jay Mohr's Gasping For Airtime last week.
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Postby Chairman Kaga on Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:31 pm

I've recently finshed re-reading all of the Dark Tower, two ST Joshi compiled Lovecraft books and Max Brooks' World War Z.
Go fuck yourself.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DDMAN26 on Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:34 pm

To Kill A Mockingbird
DDMAN26
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby Spandau Belly on Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:35 am

I just finished Lemons Never Lie by Richard Stark writing as Donald Westlake or maybe the other way around, either way it was a good little heist thriller.

I am now reading The Spanish Game by Charles Cummings, which is a modern espionage thriller. So far I like how they're depicting the lead spy guy as a pompous paranoid egocentric yuppie.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby thebostonlocksmith on Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:22 am

I have quite recently reread 'The winter of Frankie machine' by Don Winslow... It's quite good really, certainly enjoyable but perhaps not going to win the Booker prize, it's a bit too trashy... It's being made into a film though Michael Mann is involved and Robert De niro to star...

This isn't really my usual literary taste, it's a gangster type story that will sound familiar when you know there's a hitman that's retired and is asked to come back for one last job.... But, the characters are all excellently written and it reads a lot like it was written to be turned into a film, the pacing is excellent and there are twists and turns a plenty...

So having quite enjoyed it i looked into some more Don Winslow, as is my habit of enjoying one book by an author and buying all the rest they've written, resulting i'm afraid with a shelf of shitters that i need to donate to charity... and i found another few books, some i can't get though for some reason... But i did get 'The power of the dog' and 'California fire and life' and they are both very good, again not my usual cup of tea by well worth a read for anyone with a 'Godfather' liking or perhaps just the liking of a good thriller... they're very good for what they are...
thebostonlocksmith
AIRWOLF

Postby Raziel on Mon Sep 01, 2008 5:28 pm

A few chapters into The Lovely Bones. So far, it manages to be quite touching and witty, even in it's disturbing passages.
Raziel
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Hermanator X on Tue Sep 02, 2008 3:04 am

thebostonlocksmith wrote:I have quite recently reread 'The winter of Frankie machine' by Don Winslow... It's quite good really, certainly enjoyable but perhaps not going to win the Booker prize, it's a bit too trashy... It's being made into a film though Michael Mann is involved and Robert De niro to star...

This isn't really my usual literary taste, it's a gangster type story that will sound familiar when you know there's a hitman that's retired and is asked to come back for one last job.... But, the characters are all excellently written and it reads a lot like it was written to be turned into a film, the pacing is excellent and there are twists and turns a plenty...

So having quite enjoyed it i looked into some more Don Winslow, as is my habit of enjoying one book by an author and buying all the rest they've written, resulting i'm afraid with a shelf of shitters that i need to donate to charity... and i found another few books, some i can't get though for some reason... But i did get 'The power of the dog' and 'California fire and life' and they are both very good, again not my usual cup of tea by well worth a read for anyone with a 'Godfather' liking or perhaps just the liking of a good thriller... they're very good for what they are...

Thanks for the heads up. I have read 'Power of the Dog' which I thought was great, but wasnt sure which of his other books to pick up. Dog is a good Ellroy lite book, and his 5 years of research for it paid off. A cool blend of fact and fiction. However, I might just hold off on his other work, but may pick up Frankie Machine.
...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:47 pm

I've been reading Gates of Eden, a collection of short stories and shit by Ethan Coen. It's got some funny stuff that's had me laughing out loud, which doesn't happen when I read books too often. The odd chuckle now and then. You know how it is. A lot of the stories lack endings and are mostly pointless, much like the Coen's films seem to be, but they are entertaining and that's what fucking counts.
caruso_stalker217
TOO AGED FOR THIS MALARKEY

Postby captainconundrum on Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:00 pm

I picked up Terry Goodkind's "Wizard's First Rule" after finding out they were making a series out of it. I don't expect it to be as good as the book, it never is, but I"ll be interested in seeing what changes they make for a weekly series.
captainconundrum
GLIB

Postby monorail77 on Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:23 pm

captainconundrum wrote:I picked up Terry Goodkind's "Wizard's First Rule" after finding out they were making a series out of it. I don't expect it to be as good as the book, it never is, but I"ll be interested in seeing what changes they make for a weekly series.

I've heard from several sources that this series (is it The Wheel of Time?) is really good but I haven't yet gotten around to reading any of it. Please let us know what you think with a wee review when you're done.
"All we have is language; that's the one tool that enables us to grasp hold of our lives and transcend our fate by understanding it."
-Harlan Ellison

monorail77
AIRWOLF

Postby minstrel on Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:36 pm

I've been rereading "For Whom The Bell Tolls" by Ernest Hemingway. Damn, that's a well-written book. I haven't read it since I was in university.

It's kicking my ass to up the quality of my own writing. I'm now revising a story I wrote 20 years ago because it doesn't measure up to the standard I'm reading.
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby DennisMM on Sat Nov 01, 2008 7:52 pm

I am re-reading Vonnegut, in a fairly random sequence. For some reason I started with the mid-period books, the not-so-good novels Deadeye Dick and Slapstick. They are somewhat better than I recall, good books by most writers' standards, but disappointing for Vonnegut. After completing those I read what I think of as the last of his mid-period books (some may see it as the first of his late-period novels), Galapagos. It is not one of his finer moments but is a good step up from the two I mentioned earlier. Galapagos reads something like an Altman film, at least to me.

Now I've stepped backward into the mid-period by pulling out Jailbird, which I'm finding rough going. At the same time I'm reading my favorite of the early novels, God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater. Many consider it a lightweight item compared to Cat's Cradle, but its complete lack of fantastic elements speaks to me more than what I see as some heavy-handed use of that type of story element in the other early novels, The Sirens of Titan most notably.

When I've finished the two I'm reading, who knows? I doubt I'll run through all of Vonnegut's novels, but I probably will jump forward to the later novels. Bluebeard is my favorite Vonnegut work, and Hocus Pocus still has a hold on me in spite of some thudding plot devices. I might even read Timequake again, though it seems unlikely.

Perhaps we could put some Vonnegut into BOMC consideration.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby DaleTremont on Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:36 pm

I'm somewhat ashamed to say I just finished Stephanie Meyers' "Twilight." I'm even more ashamed to say I somewhat enjoyed it. :oops:
DaleTremont
Loincloth Bronson

Postby so sorry on Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:19 pm

DaleTremont wrote:I'm somewhat ashamed to say I just finished Stephanie Meyers' "Twilight." I'm even more ashamed to say I somewhat enjoyed it. :oops:

I had no idea you were 13!
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby minstrel on Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:54 pm

DaleTremont wrote:I'm somewhat ashamed to say I just finished Stephanie Meyers' "Twilight." I'm even more ashamed to say I somewhat enjoyed it. :oops:

Should I be ashamed to say that I've never heard of it?
minstrel

Postby BuckyO'harre on Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:01 pm

minstrel wrote:

:shock:

He has not been tainted!
We must protect him at all costs.
Thank you, Zoners, for the kindness, tolerance, and enlightenment you've shared with me. It may not have been deserved, but it was greatly appreciated nonetheless. Soupy twist.
BuckyO'harre
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Bloo on Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:51 am

minstrel wrote:

don't be ashamed
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Wed Nov 05, 2008 5:57 am

Fuckin' "Twilight," man. I swear all the ladies at work are wet for those damn books.
caruso_stalker217

Postby Bloo on Wed Nov 05, 2008 6:50 am

I have a friend that's like borderline obsessed with "Twilight", and so i asked her about it

she said that it appeals to woman becase they can relate

that's why I think it's more fad rather then lasting

LOTR, Narnia, even Lloyd Alexander's Prydian and Harry Potter are timeless or more likely to be timeless because they appeal to both men and women
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby so sorry on Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:37 am

Twilight = New Kids on the Block = High School Musical

An entire generation of tween girls are going apeshit over these books, but once they sprout BlueBittles and start growing up, they will look back and laugh at how silly they were over this goofy trash.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Chilli on Thu Nov 06, 2008 6:22 am

Bag Of Bones - Stephen King
Bison: [to his architect] The temple above us was the wonder of the ancient world. Bisonopolis shall be the wonder of my world. But I think the food court should be larger. All the big franchises will want in.
Chilli
The Unfriendly Ghost

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Thu Nov 06, 2008 6:39 am

Finally started Duma Key by King. About sixty pages in. Going good so far.
caruso_stalker217

Postby RogueScribner on Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:49 am

The want ads . . .
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby Fievel on Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:41 am

Just started Ender's Shadow.

I read (okay, listened to) the Ender's series a couple of years ago.
Now I'm starting the Shadow series.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Bob Samonkey on Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:48 am

I am rereading Casual Rex right now. My library is closed for renovations...
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby DaleTremont on Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:13 pm

so sorry wrote:Twilight = New Kids on the Block = High School Musical

An entire generation of tween girls are going apeshit over these books, but once they sprout BlueBittles and start growing up, they will look back and laugh at how silly they were over this goofy trash.

Whoa whoa whoa. I'm not saying Twilight isn't goofy, teenage tripe that fully belongs in the young adult section of the bookstore, but no way is it on the same level as High School Musical. All right I haven't seen High School Musical but I refuse to believe the two can compare.

So yeah I got kinda addicted to these books in spite of myself. I'm honestly baffled as to why. First of all, the heroine Bella is usually kinda dumb, completely codependent, and she keeps describing her vampire lover Edward as a "male model." I can excuse the dumbness and even the codependency but describing how beautiful a dude is by their resemblance to a male model is just...nonsensical. Male models are vain pretty boys that pout like women. So not a turn-on.

Anyway, aside from that big gripe, I guess I can understand how this emo vampire Edward would be appealing to 12 year olds (and apparently, to 21 year olds too :oops: ). It's that whole unattainable thing- kind of like the Angel curse in Buffy, except here Edward doesn't sleep with Bella not because he'll lose his soul but because he'll, like, crush her or something. Apparently vampires have super strength and super powers and are all unnaturally beautiful (but then again, I guess if you're gonna spend the rest of eternity with someone you wouldn't want them to be an uggo...) There's also the fact that he always has to resist killing her because her blood is so singularly tempting to him...which is sexy, again in that forbidden love sort of way.

Clearly I'm trying to justify my liking this book but I'm still properly ashamed...

The next book I'm reading is Ulysses, I swear.
DaleTremont
Loincloth Bronson

Postby RogueScribner on Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:30 am

Since I have a lot of free time on my hands these days, I'm burning through The End of America, a book about the steps America is taking to becoming a fascist state. It's quite the eye opener. It sounds silly at first, but when you read about the histories of Germany, Russia, Italy, and other countries and how other democracies transitioned into fascist regimes it's a little scary. There's no one big event that causes the change. It's a bunch of small things that snowball into an opportunity for someone to seize power. The seeds are there.
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby so sorry on Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:44 am

DaleTremont wrote:
so sorry wrote:Twilight = New Kids on the Block = High School Musical

Whoa whoa whoa. I'm not saying Twilight isn't goofy, teenage tripe that fully belongs in the young adult section of the bookstore, but no way is it on the same level as High School Musical. All right I haven't seen High School Musical but I refuse to believe the two can compare.

I still contend that High School Musical is exactly on the same level as Twilight. OK, Twilight attempts to pretend that its deep and meaningful and important, none of which HSM is, but both are simple straightforward stories that has whipped the tween (girls especially) market into a frothy hormonal stew.

RogueScribner wrote:Since I have a lot of free time on my hands these days, I'm burning through The End of America, a book about the steps America is taking to becoming a fascist state. It's quite the eye opener. It sounds silly at first, but when you read about the histories of Germany, Russia, Italy, and other countries and how other democracies transitioned into fascist regimes it's a little scary. There's no one big event that causes the change. It's a bunch of small things that snowball into an opportunity for someone to seize power. The seeds are there.

Agrees. :wink:
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Droncz92 on Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:37 pm

Last two books I read where Tommy Chongs Mediation from the Joint, I think thats what its called, and his Unofficial Cheech and Chong bio.
Droncz92
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby Chris a.k.a StuntMike on Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:08 am

Just finished David Mamet's Bambi vs. Godzilla. Also picked up Pink Floyd: The Black Strat: A History of David Gilmour's Black Fender Stratocaster
Chris a.k.a StuntMike
Not without incident

Postby TK-421 on Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:23 am

I'm reading Orson Scott Card's Shadow series at the moment. They're a subseries to the superb Ender books, set in the same universe and dealing with the stories of supporting characters from those books. Quite interesting, but not quite as good as the first series. Ender's Shadow was great, and Shadow of the Hegemon's descriptions of internation politics were interesting, but by the third book he's pretty much just repeating themes he's already covered. Not that it's bad, but we've seen it before.
TK-421
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Maui on Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:23 pm

The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz.

Yeah, there's a reason he got the Pulitzer for this!

http://web.mit.edu/newsoffice/2008/diaz-pulitzer-0407.html
Maui
WoWie

Postby Wiccan Woman on Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:53 pm

Just finished Whitley Strieber's 2012, and I'm sort-of impressed. It's a good tale, but I felt as though the last few chapters were rushing the reader out of the novel as quickly as possible. Did Strieber realize that he was too close to hitting his maximum word limit??

Regardless, the tale itself is interesting, going at the apocalypse from the angle of it being the war for souls, rather than the absolute end of the world. Hey, a good fight is always a good fight! It beats the idea of being passively accepting of The End.

I was impressed with his character development, up until those rushed chapters...when Strieber simply threw in facts about one of the main characters that had not been adressed previously, and the reader couldn't have guessed at. Why would anyone think that a writer of alien abductions would be a fitness buff?? But there it is, 35 pages from the end of the book. I'm not nitpicking - this jumped out and interrupted the narrative for me.

Now I'm even more keen on seeing the film. I just hope they don't concentrate on the CGI fun stuff to the detriment of a good tale.
Left behind
Wiccan Woman
AIRWOLF

Postby so sorry on Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:06 pm

Time for my sort-of annual reading of The Lord of the Rings Trilogy... I have a hard bound edition that contains all three installments that I've never read from (just looks good on the shelf). Only a few dozen pages in, and man, its a bitch to hold and read! But my soft cover individual books from the early 80s are really falling apart, and I don't want to do any more damage to them.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Wiccan Woman on Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:18 pm

so sorry wrote:Time for my sort-of annual reading of The Lord of the Rings Trilogy... I have a hard bound edition that contains all three installments that I've never read from (just looks good on the shelf). Only a few dozen pages in, and man, its a bitch to hold and read! But my soft cover individual books from the early 80s are really falling apart, and I don't want to do any more damage to them.

When my first set fell apart, I had this really cool idea, but it requires the first 2 sets. Wouldn't it be keen to wallpaper a room with those well-worn, beloved pages? LOTR is a lot of pages...might take 2 rooms.
Left behind
Wiccan Woman
AIRWOLF

Postby Bloo on Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:58 pm

I'm in the same situation with both my copies of LOTR (one volume paperback) and my CHRONICLES OF NARNIA (also one volume paperback)

I love that idea of wallpapering a room with those great dogeared pages
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby SilentBobX on Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:06 pm

Gonzo: The Life of Hunter S. Thompson. So far so good.

Mahalo
SilentBobX
AIRWOLF

Postby The Vicar on Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:26 pm

SilentBobX wrote:Gonzo: The Life of Hunter S. Thompson. So far so good.

Mahalo

That's supposed to be quite good. Let us know. Hunter was an icon for me,
and I'd be happy to read a good book about him.
Saw the documentary on Hunter called 'Gonzo: The Life and Work of Dr. Hunter S. Thompson'.
Highly, highly recommended.
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby SilentBobX on Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:39 pm

The Vicar wrote:
SilentBobX wrote:Gonzo: The Life of Hunter S. Thompson. So far so good.

Mahalo

That's supposed to be quite good. Let us know. Hunter was an icon for me,
and I'd be happy to read a good book about him.
Saw the documentary on Hunter called 'Gonzo: The Life and Work of Dr. Hunter S. Thompson'.
Highly, highly recommended.

Will do, Vicar. I also spotted the Gonzo tapes on sale at a Borders, but it was a bit out of my price range for now at least.

Mahalo
SilentBobX
AIRWOLF

Postby Maui on Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:51 pm

What Is What by Dave Eggers

Just about finished this book, deeply moving, true story about the Lost Boys of Sudan. These young orphaned Sudanese boys trekked through thousands of miles of African wilderness, facing such obstacles as military shooting at them, wild animals devouring them, disease - lost from their villages and families forever. This is Valentino Achak Deng's story, translated by Eggers. It's an historical account, which is sad, uplifting, and even humorous. Deng also talks about his hardships after arriving to the United States, being a Sudanese refugee, and seeking acceptance in a new country.

Finalist - National Book Critics Circle Award for Fiction
Maui
WoWie

Postby Bloo on Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:14 pm

rereading JURRASIC PARK for the first time since like '94, '96

it's still really really good, holds up well
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby minstrel on Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:28 pm

Notes Toward A New Rhetoric, by Francis Christensen.

Yes, I'm a nerd. I'm such a nerd that nerds jeer at me for my excessive nerditude. I am a nerdnerd.
minstrel

Postby The Vicar on Sun Jan 04, 2009 4:10 pm

Started in on Whitley Shreiber's 2012.
I've never read Shreiber before, so if this book blows I'll never let Wiccan Women hear the end of it.
Heh heh.

:wink:
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

PreviousNext

Return to AICN Books