The Official Stephen King Thread

This forum caters to our literary tastes.

Re: The Official Stephen King Thread

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Sat Jun 06, 2015 4:52 pm

Apparently, the kid's actual name is Jerome, not Ben. I guess I don't remember the fucking book either.
caruso_stalker217
TOO AGED FOR THIS MALARKEY

Postby TheBaxter on Sat Jun 06, 2015 6:05 pm

what about mr. mercedes? (i can't remember the guy's real name, the bad guy from the first book, the one who they set up to return in the sequel. does he show up in the new book?)

if whatsizname and his ebonics-spewing friend whosamaface aren't in the sequel, and neither is mr. mercedes, then is it even a sequel at all?
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Sat Jun 06, 2015 8:02 pm

Hodges has just showed up, as has Holly who is the socially-stunted cousin of the lady Hodges was sweet on in the first book.
caruso_stalker217

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:34 pm

Finished this last night. Not destined to be a King classic or anything, but I admired it's simplicity. It didn't really get chugging along until the last hundred pages or so and the climax wasn't earth-shattering but I enjoyed the journey.

Since this is the second book in a planned trilogy, the final scene hints at the direction that book will go and I'm guessing it will heavily feature the (spoilers?) killer from the first book.

And also some supernatural shit from the looks of it. Not sure how I feel about that, especially since it would be territory covered by King many times already and I don't recall anything like that in Mr. Mercedes.

In closing, a nice brisk read with some likable if not overly-developed characters. I can think of many worse ways to spend one's time.
caruso_stalker217

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:37 pm

TheBaxter wrote:what about mr. mercedes? (i can't remember the guy's real name, the bad guy from the first book, the one who they set up to return in the sequel. does he show up in the new book?)

He appears in two scenes that would seem to be a set-up for the next book.
caruso_stalker217

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:46 pm

Apparently, the third book will be called The Suicide Prince.
caruso_stalker217

Postby TheBaxter on Mon Sep 28, 2015 2:15 pm

ok so i read Finders Keepers

i'm really looking forward to the day Stephen King returns to writing horror novels. this little segue into crime fiction hasn't been entirely successful in my opinion. the books aren't terrible, they're just not particularly good or necessary. i would say this only slightly less forgettable than Mr. Mercedes, but that's only because there's less to remember. there are too many better crime fiction writers out there, for King to waste his time on such trifles. his next book in November is a short story collection, Bazaar of Bad Dreams. that sounds more promising to me.

caruso_stalker217 wrote:I just finished Mr. Mercedes and ended up liking it a lot (no bad kid dialogue/fist bumps).

he saved the fist bump for the 2nd book i guess.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Mon Sep 28, 2015 3:27 pm

TheBaxter wrote:
caruso_stalker217 wrote:I just finished Mr. Mercedes and ended up liking it a lot (no bad kid dialogue/fist bumps).

he saved the fist bump for the 2nd book i guess.

Don't want to shoot your wad too early.
caruso_stalker217

Postby Ribbons on Tue Sep 29, 2015 2:48 pm

Personally, I've been waiting for Stephen King to move into his "chick lit" phase
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby TheBaxter on Tue Sep 29, 2015 3:01 pm

Ribbons wrote:Personally, I've been waiting for Stephen King to move into his "chick lit" phase

that would be bringing it full circle right back where he started.
Carrie 2: Electric BOO!-galoo
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Peven on Tue Sep 29, 2015 3:35 pm

Ribbons wrote:Personally, I've been waiting for Stephen King to move into his "chick lit" phase

a coming of age story about 4 twelve-year old girls who go on an overnight hike to be first in line to a 50% off sale at a high end shoe store

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Tue Sep 29, 2015 3:38 pm

Well, he did have his feminist phase back in the nineties.

Which was a huge success I recall.
caruso_stalker217

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:43 pm

caruso_stalker217

Postby TheBaxter on Tue Oct 06, 2015 3:17 pm

i might decide to break with tradition this time, and forget this book BEFORE i read it.
hmmm.... June 2016 release. that's plenty of time to work up some amnesia.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby TheBaxter on Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:09 pm

BAZAAR OF BAD DREAMS

like any short story collection (or, increasingly these days, any King book) this is a mixed bag. there's some really good stuff here, and some really bad stuff, and a lot of in between stuff. i guess a lot of these stories have already been published elsewhere, but the only one i think i had previously read was Blockade Billy, which is one of the ones i liked. this book continues recent trends of King's work such as 1) less horror/supernatural-based in favor of attempting different genres, and 2) generally less sharp writing than his earlier, better work. i'm really a King horror fan, while i appreciate some of his forays into other genres like Shawshank and the Dark Tower series (and less so with other, like a couple recent detective novels that have already been talked about too much in here), it's the horror stuff that made me a fan and comprised my favorite work of his. sadly here, the "horror" stories in this collection, particularly the supernatural or monster-based ones, are some of the weakest. they feel a bit half-assed, like King is going through the motions, giving people what he thinks they want, but his heart is really in the other, non-horror material. some of that is bad too, but it has more energy.

it's hard to review a book like this overall, so i'll just give some quickie reviews of the stories themselves:

1) Mile 81 - typical King monster horror with more of his trademark bad kid dialogue. not a good start.
2) Premium Harmony - King's first stab at "serious" writing. pointless.
3) Batman and Robin Have an Altercation - i liked it
4) The Dune - good story, good suspense, good buildup, predictable ending
5) Bad Little Kid - despite the title, this one actually DOESN'T have much bad little kid dialogue.
6) A Death - pretty good dark western
7) The Bone Church - a poem(!); King has intros to each story and for this one he talks a bit about why he doesn't publish much poetry. after reading this one, i don't blame him
8) Morality - this one's pretty good, feels like a shorter version of something that would have fit nicely in Full Dark No Stars
9) Afterlife - terrible. it's like a bad comical version of the entire DT series ("Ka is a wheel") wrapped up in one lame story, even down to the Horn of Eld (in thematic terms, the Horn of Eld doesn't actually show up). probably the worst piece of the collection.
10) Ur - this story simultaneously contains some of the best and worst of King-isms in a single story. it starts off bad... i mean REALLY bad. apparently King was commissioned to write this story in the early days of Kindle and had to include the Kindle as a central plot point (though he claims he initially turned the deal down, because he's an ARTIST with INTEGRITY yadda-yadda-yadda). and the first several pages of this story really feel like a giant Kindle ad. you know how King loves to name-drop his technology (tech-drop?) and this story gave him the perfect excuse and he makes the most of it. though i guess by the end of the story, you could kind of argue this is an ANTI-Kindle ad (and from other King books as well as other stories in here, King seems to be much more of an Apple guy). the middle section gets really good, and then the end brings in some full-on King mythology from some famous series of books he's written, which makes good fan service but kind of serves to defuse the tension of the ending a bit. i can imagine a much darker direction this story could have gone in. still a good story overall once you get past the shameless Kindle shilling in the introductory pages. kinda like 11/22/63 meets the Dark something-or-other.
11) Herman Wouk Is Still Alive - another King stab at "serious" writing that doesn't really work for me
12) Under the Weather - OK but nothing special. it feels like there's a twist coming, but it never does.
13) Blockade Billy - the one story i had previously read. liked it then, still like it now
14) Mister Yummy - meh
15) Tommy - poem #2. worse than the first. maybe if i was around in the 60s like King, it would have some impact.
16) Little Green God of Agony - monster story #2. going through the motions.
17) That Bus Is Another World - interesting vignette, maybe one of the more "serious" (sorry, i always have to put "serious" in quotations when discussing King) stories that works the best
18) Obits - this one had so much potential. it's got a bit of King's tech-fetish, but not to the point of annoyance. in the intro, King talks about how he was inspired by some movie he saw on TV that was really scary for the first 60 minutes but then pussied out at the end. ironically, King does the exact same thing with this story. the end is so underwhelming, it reminded me quite a bit of the series finale of Dexter
19) Drunken FIreworks - King does comedy. he's the King of Comedy! it's not bad.
20) Summer Thunder - saving the best for last. one of the best stories in the book.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Bloo on Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:17 am

I'm working my way through it, but I couldn't agree with you more about Mile 81. It was like a parody of 1950s kids in 2015.
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby TheBaxter on Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:44 pm

against my better judgment, i am starting King's new book End of Watch.
the first book in this trilogy, Mr Mercedes, was ok.
the second book, FInders Keepers, was terrible.
this book supposedly has a supernatural component, and i always prefer King's less reality-based stories, so i'm hoping it will be an improvement over the previous two entries. probably wishful thinking, but so be it.

on another note, i tried to start Joe Hill's the Fireman, but i just wasn't in the mood. he's taking after his dad, writing a post-apocalyptic 700+ page novel (will there be an 1100+ page "uncut" version in the future?). i thought Horns was great, but his last book did nothing for me and this one just didn't grab me. maybe i'll try again over the winter when i've got more time for reading.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby so sorry on Wed Jun 15, 2016 2:12 pm

TheBaxter wrote:on another note, i tried to start Joe Hill's the Fireman, but i just wasn't in the mood. he's taking after his dad, writing a post-apocalyptic 700+ page novel (will there be an 1100+ page "uncut" version in the future?). i thought Horns was great, but his last book did nothing for me and this one just didn't grab me. maybe i'll try again over the winter when i've got more time for reading.

M-o-o-n, that spells Apocalypse.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:46 pm

I read a preview of THE FIREMAN a few months back. It was the first 170 pages I believe. I liked it well enough. Haven't bought it yet though.

Just started END OF WATCH, so we'll see how that goes. I'm not crazy about this series, so this is more the Stephen King completist side of me.
caruso_stalker217

Postby TheButcher on Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:51 am

George RR Martin To Stephen King:
‘How The Fuck Do You Write So Fast??’
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Ribbons on Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:58 am

IPAMPILASH!
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby TheBaxter on Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:24 am

caruso_stalker217 wrote:Just started END OF WATCH, so we'll see how that goes. I'm not crazy about this series, so this is more the Stephen King completist side of me.

i just finished END OF WATCH, or as i prefer to think of it, END OF CRAPPY STEPHEN KING DETECTIVE SERIES. mr. mercedes was ok. the 2nd book sucked hard and i can't even remember it's name and i don't want to. this 3rd book is somewhere between the two. probably closer to mr. mercedes than crappy 2nd book, so that's encouraging. plenty of King technobabble referring to repeaters and DoS attacks and various other computer shit as he continues to try to convince people he's not an old geezer (and continues to fail). but the tech stuff is laid on so heavy, that it almost becomes like a star trek episode where you just stop caring whether it makes any sense or not. i guess the best thing i can say about this book is that it's an easy and relatively quick read. it's not particularly good but it's at least not boring. oh wait, that's the 2nd best thing i can say about this book. the actual best thing i can say about this book is that this series is now OVER. hopefully now King will return to writing stuff that's more in his wheelhouse.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Fri Jul 01, 2016 2:44 pm

Next up is a book he's writing with his son Owen set in a West Virginia women's prison.
caruso_stalker217

Postby TheBaxter on Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:51 am

excerpts from Skeleton Crew audiobook

i don't usually do audiobooks, but i might need to listen to this one. paul giamatti, michael c. hall? c'mon now!
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby TheBaxter on Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:50 pm

Stephen King's newest story could be his scariest yet

seriously though... can we just FF to Nov 9, so i can change my av and try to forget this past year ever happened?
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:43 pm

This election is the Dead Zone sequel no one wanted.

This is the Doctor Sleep of elections.
caruso_stalker217

Postby TheBaxter on Sat Oct 22, 2016 6:12 pm

caruso_stalker217 wrote:This election is the Dead Zone sequel no one wanted.

This is the Doctor Sleep of elections.

who knew the Christopher Walken role would be taken over by Billy Bush?
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:40 pm

Cover and excerpt of upcoming Stephen King/Owen King collaboration Sleeping Beauties.

http://ew.com/books/2017/03/29/stephen-king-owen-king-sleeping-beauties-cover-excerpt/
caruso_stalker217

Previous

Return to AICN Books