The Official Stephen King Thread

This forum caters to our literary tastes.

The Official Stephen King Thread

Postby psychedelic on Fri Dec 09, 2005 9:33 am

Love him or hate him, let's hear what you have to say. What's your favorite book? Old stuff vs. new stuff--is he better or worse than he used to be? Where will he go in the future? When did you first read him? What got you addicted? Are there any Dark Tower junkies out there? Any and all questions or topics related to Stephen King are welcome.

Personally, I'd like it if the books were discussed more than the movies. But I leave it to you, Constant Reader, to decide where this might go. I will, however, say this: Stephen King must ultimately be judged by his books and not the movies made from them.

If put into a corner, I'd say IT is my favorite. Childhood and adolescence resonate true with a sewer full of morphing terrors savaging puberty's edge. The structure of double storylines in the 50s and 80s is ambitious and inspired. Where will Pennywise strike next? Yes, the ending blows. We should never see It's true form. This seems to be a lesson King learned by Desperation. The business with Bill on the bike with his wife down the hill is lame too. But how many books can you say that the first 1000 pages are awesome? The scene with the house turning into gingerbread and candy with the old witch is one of my all time favorites in King's work.

I love The Mist too. 'Salem's Lot. I could go on and on. Yes, yes, The Stand, I didn't forget. Probably my favorite recent works are Hearts In Atlantis and the short story Lunch at the Gotham Cafe. I haven't read The Colorado Kid yet. I'll get to it soon. Going to the next question...

There's a primal power to the early stuff that King rarely channels these days. Beaver on the toilet in Dreamcatcher immediately springs to mind. That was the scariest thing King'd written in years. For the most part, it’s been hit and miss, though I commend him for continued experimentation and always trying to do something different. That said, he loses focus a lot leaving too much studly on his prose. In a way, it’s almost like he’s trying to find a new style. I wade though waiting for him to be on. When he’s on he’s The Man. But it can be dull. From A Buick 8 is an outright bore. The short stories “The Death of Jack Hamiltonâ€
psychedelic
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Nordling on Fri Dec 09, 2005 9:36 am

I'm a big fan of BAG OF BONES. I think it's got great characters and a really creepy tone to it, especially towards the end. It's hard to pick favorite King works but if pressed I'd have to go with THE DEAD ZONE, which still has the best King character, John Smith.
Nordling
AIRWOLF

Postby docfalken on Fri Dec 09, 2005 9:38 am

Triple word score!

Psychedelic wins with the longest first post ever?
docfalken
HAGGIS?!?!!?!!?!

Postby Man-in-the-Box on Fri Dec 09, 2005 9:44 am

Am I supposed to read all of that, or just say yeah, I think King's pretty cool. Cause the fact is, I'm pretty tired, and that sounds an awful lot like work.
I'm not with Cowbell, he's with me.
Man-in-the-Box
AIRWOLF

Postby docfalken on Fri Dec 09, 2005 9:46 am

You have to read the entire thing. And then share my opinion of Mr. King.

Hackety McHack.
docfalken
HAGGIS?!?!!?!!?!

Postby thomasgaffney on Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:17 am

I love King. The Dark Tower is my favorite story, but as for individual books, I have to go with It. Scared the shit out of me, and made me want to write at the same time.
find me: twitter and goodreads
thomasgaffney
a might unpredictable

Postby TonyWilson on Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:18 am

The Stand

'nuff said
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby thomasgaffney on Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:20 am

I also liked Insomnia a lot and thought Cujo was terrifying.

*SPOILER*

When the boy died of dehydration at the end of Cujo, it was like a kick to the balls. I did not expect that. It is a prime example of King's earlier, better work, versus his later stuff. Cujo was great, but his later psychological work (Gerald's game, Rose Madder) was weak and boring.
thomasgaffney
a might unpredictable

Postby magicmonkey on Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:24 am

The Shining was terrific. I love the movie and Kubrick, but there were alot of little things in the book that I missed. The elevator filled with party balloons I thought was a great little touch, as it buzzed up and down in the night.

Salems Lot had me spooked at night, expecially when you think I'll read to the end of this chapter and then the vampire kid comes and knocks at the other kids window. I shita my pants! Great stuff.
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

The Long Walk

Postby DanielSan on Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:37 am

I loved the Richard Bachman story "The Long Walk". Done properly, it could be an amazing piece of film - a wonderful character study.
DanielSan
GRANDO CARLISSIAN

Postby tfactor on Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:51 am

docfalken wrote:Triple word score!

Psychedelic wins with the longest first post ever?

yeah I think he might have set the bar a bit high though, all the same congrats psycho and keep up the good work

Beaver on the toilet in Dreamcatcher immediately springs to mind

Dude try that whole bathroom scene starting from the blood trail leading to the bathroom to the large clunk that hits the toilet water, that's some seriously twisted stuff there.

I would like to add Eyes Of The Dragon to the/my list of King favs. Yes I know what all you haters will say; it was too simple, shallow, not his best work, my cats breathe smells like cat food, yada yada yada. However the fact that he wrote the book for his child and pulled off a fantasy novel (being an obvious horror master) is just awesome. The book is a quick read, and an entertaining story. Perfect for some of you parents out there looking for a good bedtime story for your kids.

With that said Green Mile is one of my all time favorite stories ever, even though I wanted to choke King for the method with which he published it.

"We each owe a death, there are no exceptions, I know that, but sometimes, oh God, the Green Mile is so long"
tfactor
KING SMARMY

Re: The Long Walk

Postby tfactor on Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:52 am

DanielSan wrote:I loved the Richard Bachman story "The Long Walk". Done properly, it could be an amazing piece of film - a wonderful character study.

Is this a joke? the long walk is what inspired Stand By Me - a great movie
tfactor
KING SMARMY

Postby DrillerKiller on Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:53 am

I love his short stories more than his novels (Different Seasons and Skeleton Crew especially), but IT was probably the most terrifying thing I'd ever read as a child.

But then, I hadn't heard of Lovecraft, Barker, Hutson, Neidermann and Laymon at that age.
Wellycome....in jaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaam
DrillerKiller
STEAK-A-BABY

The Long Walk

Postby DanielSan on Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:55 am

Ummm....No. Stand By Me was based on "The Body".

"The Long Walk" is a completely different book.
DanielSan
GRANDO CARLISSIAN

Postby thomasgaffney on Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:57 am

tfactor wrote:
DanielSan wrote:I loved the Richard Bachman story "The Long Walk". Done properly, it could be an amazing piece of film - a wonderful character study.

Is this a joke? the long walk is what inspired Stand By Me - a great movie

T, Stand By Me was taken from a short story called The Body. I think from Different Seasons, which also had Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption as well as Apt Pupil.
thomasgaffney
a might unpredictable

Postby tfactor on Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:59 am

yeah I knew that

:?
tfactor
KING SMARMY

Postby DrillerKiller on Fri Dec 09, 2005 11:19 am

Aswell as 'The Breathing Method', my favourite story in that book, mainly because you really feel for the pregnant woman, and the ending. Oh ga-loooorious ending!
Wellycome....in jaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaam
DrillerKiller
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby thomasgaffney on Fri Dec 09, 2005 11:22 am

DrillerKiller wrote:Aswell as 'The Breathing Method', my favourite story in that book, mainly because you really feel for the pregnant woman, and the ending. Oh ga-loooorious ending!

THAT was the last story! Thanks, Driller, I was drawing a blank. That was a great story.
thomasgaffney
a might unpredictable

Postby Neya on Fri Dec 09, 2005 12:00 pm

My favorite full book was The Stand, just so complex and realistic (except for that whole good vs evil thing). My favorite short stories are The Ledge, Last Rung, and Dolan's Cadillac.

I kinda moved on from Stephen King though, havent read anything since The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon. I need to play catchup, my list may need updating..
~Tonight I go as a Nemesis bearing just and blazingly cataclysmic vengance.~

I bake a good pie too.
Neya
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Re: Stephen King

Postby Constant Reader on Fri Dec 09, 2005 12:32 pm

psychedelic wrote:Personally, I'd like it if the books were discussed more than the movies. But I leave it to you, Constant Reader, to decide where this might go.

Wow, seriously? I don't know what to say. You write this great, long thread and then just hand it over to me? Thanks.

Okay, enough of that. Obviously from the name and sig I'm a King fan. I'll break it down like this:

Favorite early book: TIE - The Shining/'Salem's Lot
Favorite later book: Bag of Bones
Favorite Dark Tower book: Part IV, Wizard and Glass
Favorite King movie: TIE - Green Mile/Shawshank
The end of the Dark Tower saga - love it or hate it?: Love it

When King fails - and he does - he goes down swinging. When he succeeds, he's just on a higher level than so many others. It's been a pleasure following his career from (almost) the beginning, and he's got a lot coming out in the next couple of years: Secretary of Dreams, Cell, Lisey's Story, the Dark Tower comics, and who knows what else. Should be an interesting ride.

CR
The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.
Constant Reader
GLIB

Postby PodBayDoor on Fri Dec 09, 2005 12:37 pm

As far as I know, there's been no official word that he'll actually write the Dark Tower comics, has there?
PodBayDoor
GLIB

Postby Constant Reader on Fri Dec 09, 2005 1:36 pm

PodBayDoor wrote:As far as I know, there's been no official word that he'll actually write the Dark Tower comics, has there?

Nope. Actually, I think it's pretty sure that he won't. He's going to have something like an executive story editor position. Basically, from what I've read, he (along with Robin Furth, the author of the two Dark Tower compendiums) will plot out the stories, then check them for continuity (both in storyline and in style). I think he'll have a big presence in the series, but it won't be scripted by him. Joe Quesada may actually be doing the scripting - he's the Marvel Editor-In-Chief and all around bigwig.

I think that arrangement will probably work out pretty well.

CR
The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.
Constant Reader
GLIB

Postby TheBaxter on Fri Dec 09, 2005 1:38 pm

Personally I prefer the work of Stephen King Kong.

And is it still valid for a poster to be GLIB when their only post has more words than all of mine combined?
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Carolian on Fri Dec 09, 2005 1:42 pm

I admit that, when it comes to King, I'm a total fanboy. I love most of his works unabashedly.

THE STAND and IT have to be my favorite, along with the DT series... I really enjoy his less epic work as well, though, like SALEM'S LOT and THE DEAD ZONE. I think that BAG OF BONES was one of his best books in years. I really think the guy's got more writing chops than most may think.

Movie adaptations? Nothing will ever beat Tim Curry as Pennywise in "It". It doesn't matter how good the rest of the movie is; Pennywise terrified me when I was a kid. Good stuff.

Bottom line? If he puts it out, I'll read it.
Carolian
GRANDO CARLISSIAN

Postby thomasgaffney on Fri Dec 09, 2005 1:45 pm

Carolian wrote:Bottom line? If he puts it out, I'll read it.

Same goes for me, except I haven't picked up The Colorado Kid yet. Anyone here read it?
thomasgaffney
a might unpredictable

Postby The Ginger Man on Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:02 pm

The Long Walk really got under my skin when I read it in High School (like 8 years ago or something... shit I'm old). And I use to think it would make a good film. But then I saw Battle Royale and that same feeling of unease began to creep back under my skin. I realized it was kind of the same thing. A variation on a theme. And I am at peace.

I believe Tim Curry's Pennywise created an entire generation of kids who were scared shitless by clowns.

I really liked the ending of Dark Tower, pre-epilogue. It was surprisingly powerful. But I felt the tacked on "ending" was so....cliche. I've got some more to say about the series, mainly concerning how it began with the 1st version of the gunslinger and how it ended after King's self-ret-conning. But not enough time at the office get through that one at work right now. Just wondering though, is there anyone else on the forum who read the entire series, only with the original version of Gunslinger instead of the updated?

More later.
The Ginger Man
Hong Kong Drizzle

Postby Fievel on Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:32 pm

I love Stephen Martin Luther Billie Jean Hannibal Don King.

But seriously, he could write a 500-page book about somone wiping their butt and I'd finish it. Most of his works that I've "read" were audio books due to my huge commute. Frank Muller's voice has brought King's work to life for me. The first Dark Tower books, The Talisman/Black House, etc. His voice IS King for me. Unfortunately, he was in a horrible accident a few years ago and will not work again.

Dark Tower - I love the Dark Tower. It was Stephen King's story, and his ending is the ending to the story. Yes, the Epilogue was enough cheese to feed a family of 4, but it was his story. It's kind of like the Star Wars prequel movies - the minute you go in with any expectations, you're doomed for a letdown. My favorite of those books is Book IV - The Wizard And The Glass. I'm EXTREMELY excited about the comics coming out..... now in 2007, and will pick those up the minute they're available. Bring on the Fall of Gilliead! Bring on Jericho Hill!!! Also, I'd love to see an HBO series done on this - Band Of Brothers -style - meaning a lot of time, care, and money behind it. The only thing is this - how do you film a live-action production of 7 books without having the child of the story age much at all?

I need The Talisman 3. I loved The Talisman, and enjoyed Black House even more. Even a blind man could see that there was something to the character of Jack Sawyer worth telling. Hopefully King and Straub won't wait as long as they did between the first two books to crank out the third.

Bag of Bones - I avoided this as long as I could. I just didn't think I could get into it, but I loved it all the same. It was a great book, and the most worthy King's books of being made into a movie (excluding any that already have).

The Cell - The little blurb they've released has me geeked for January. This one sounds fun.

Mick Garris - Needs to step away and never touch another King property again. All of his films look like REALLY BAD Made-For-TV productions. I understand King likes him, but I need an air of quality to be able to enjoy things.

The Stand - The King film most in need of a remake. It's sad when the best part of a 6-hour miniseries is the first 5 minutes.

Stephen King movies in general - I wish people would stop re-writing the stories. I never made it past the first part of the 'Salem's Lot remake due to the liberties they took with a perfect story. The original film was total cheese, but I enjoyed it.... okay, the kid scratching the window scared the crap out of me and haunted my childhood dreams. But why do these filmmakers feel a need to make such radical changes to some of these stories? Why did Father Callahan die at the end of the new mini series? Any "Constant Reader" knows where his fate truly lies.... in the dining area of the Dixie Pig!! Sure, there were liberties taken with Kubrick's The Shining, but even at 30 years old, it STILL kicks the ass of the Mick Garris TV movie that actually HAD King's blessing! Oh, and what's this The Mangler Part 14 crap!?!? Just give it up people. Give it up.

GAWD BOMB!!!!!
This forum rocks.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby tfactor on Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:35 pm

I think we may have a new longest 1st post, nice job Fievel

now if you'll excuse me I'm going to go read the novel you just posted :shock:
tfactor
KING SMARMY

Postby Adam Balm on Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:12 pm

Great thread psychedelic. Welcome to the books forum.
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DorkmanScott on Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:42 pm

I loved, and still do, pre-accident King. I'm re-reading the Dead Zone and I'm remembering everything about his style that I always adored, and which influenced my own writing style. Post-accident King, in large part, is the formulaic, phoned-in pulp that people always accused his work of being. But it wasn't always like that.

I love the Dead Zone, IT, and The Eyes of the Dragon. I liked the Shining, but I didn't love it hard like most of his fans seemed to. The Stand is probably his best work.

I loved the first three DT books (Wastelands is by far my favorite), and like Phantom Menace and Matrix Reloaded, I approached Wizard and Glass with the attitude of "Well, I don't see where he's going with this, but I trust him." I think given the comparison, you know what I thought of the last three books.

If DT is ever made into a movie series, I'd want to see the last three books completely reconfigured for the adaptation. The easy way to get it past the purists would be to say "Roland's journey was a repeating cycle. The books were one of many iterations he went through. The movies are the last time." Bam.
DorkmanScott
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby psychedelic on Fri Dec 16, 2005 9:18 pm

Here are two links of interest.

One, Amazon has the new novel Cell on pre-order. Love the cover. Comes out Jan. 24.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0743292332/ref=cm_bg_d/002-5119349-2709638?v=glance&n=283155

Second, at Cemetery Dance they're releasing graphic novels of some of his short stories. They're calling it The Secretary of Dreams.
http://www.cemeterydance.com/secretary/index.
psychedelic
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby psychedelic on Fri Dec 16, 2005 9:34 pm

His other new book next year---Lisey's Story---comes out October 24, 2006.

Thanks for the compliment and welcome, Adam Balm.
psychedelic
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Carolian on Mon Dec 19, 2005 10:13 pm

I think, honestly, that King gets too much flak for being a "hack horror writer". I mean, c'mon. A lot of his works are really smart, and I think they'd be considered "serious literature" if they were written by anyone but King. Sure, his work's been somewhat hit-or-miss over the last ten years, but I think he's a lot more savvy when it comers to writing than he gets credit for.

Really, anyone who could write books as disparate as IT, THE SHINING, BAG OF BONES, and MISERY gets my full respect. But I'm admittedly biased.
The whole world's wild at heart and weird on top.

This is a snakeskin jacket. And for me it's a symbol of my individuality, and my belief... in personal freedom.
Carolian
GRANDO CARLISSIAN

Postby Mimekiller on Mon Dec 19, 2005 10:39 pm

I love every short story King has written, I never get tired of the "people wander into town, shit hits the fan" kind of story.
The Atom Bomb:Made in America, tested in Japan
Mimekiller
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby PeachWild on Mon Dec 19, 2005 11:02 pm

I thought it was pretty nifty when King did his Dickensian serial with The Green Mile. Other than IT, which lost me big-time with the spider-monster/kid sex end, I'd say Green Mile has my favorite characters. I hold Dark Tower outside the King canon only because it is a being in and of itself. The Stand was good, but I read it recently and don't think it holds up quite as well as IT, or even Salem's Lot really. Actually, the Talisman blew my mind in 5th grade. I've never gotten the image of that giant....what was he...like a beast-man or something [?]....sitting in the front seat of a limousine blasting Run Through the Jungle and going nuts. That was pretty hilarious shit.
PeachWild
GLIB

Postby Fievel on Tue Dec 20, 2005 2:00 am

PeachWild wrote: Actually, the Talisman blew my mind in 5th grade. I've never gotten the image of that giant....what was he...like a beast-man or something [?]....sitting in the front seat of a limousine blasting Run Through the Jungle and going nuts. That was pretty hilarious shit.

Wolf is the bomb! I say GAWD BOMB! Can I get a hallelujah?!?
Frank Muller's reading of The Talisman and Black House breathes such amazing life into the characters of Wolf and Henry Leyden, but then I'd be willing to listen to that guy read a Thesaurus.
If they ever make The Talisman into a movie (as it's been started many times), they had just better get it right and not be frugal with either the script, the direction, or the production.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Carolian on Tue Dec 20, 2005 10:52 am

Frank Muller's reading of The Talisman and Black House breathes such amazing life into the characters of Wolf and Henry Leyden, but then I'd be willing to listen to that guy read a Thesaurus.

Oh my God, yes. Frank Muller was the absolute best audiobook reader in the business. It's such a shame he can't work anymore. The guy's missed.
Carolian
GRANDO CARLISSIAN

Postby Chairman Kaga on Tue Dec 20, 2005 11:02 am

I love King's work. IT was the first adult novel I ever read at 10. Great stuff. I have yet to read the last 3 Dark Tower books as well as some recent stuff and Cujo......other than that I have pretty much consumed everything I can find by King.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Petri on Tue Dec 20, 2005 11:43 am

Salem's Lot is, in my opinion, the best vampire story ever written and Stephen King has my admiration if only for that story.
Petri
REAL DRAGON

Postby Fievel on Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:26 am

I'm getting geeked to read Cell. Only 5 more days to wait. I'm not expecting a masterpiece upon which all future literary works will be compared.... but I'm hoping for a fun adventure with some good gore.

All hail the King.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Doc Holliday on Thu Jan 19, 2006 6:53 am

I'm one of those who subscribes to the theory King doesn't get the literary credit he deserves. I really, really struggle to think of another author that can layer all, even the incidental, characters with so much believable detail. the stories may be pulp - a matter of conjecture in itself - but the craft behind their telling is that of a master IMO.

THE STAND is my favourite among favourites - it was the first ever post-apocalypse story I'd been exposed to and it completely captured my imagination - I thought it was fantastic. I liked the multi-character arcs..I think this was the first time I'd been exposed to that sort of ensemble story-telling as well (in any medium). Which meant I thought IT was the mutts nuts. SALEMS LOT gets a mention - it was the first vampire flick I saw that scared me instead of made me laugh. MISERY was and remains the only book to ever make me jump like during a horror movie. Now THATS good writing...

Incidentally - at the time I was heavuily into King, I was also dating this girl who was hung up on Dean R Koontz - I read quite a few of those and enjoyed them - but they never got close to King and his characters. Koontz, back then anyway (1988 -1992) could not help but make his characters perfect in the end....grade A kids, Ivy league teenagers, happily married couples both of whom were the respected expert in their chosen field......yawn.
"I think the worst time to have a heart attack is during a game of charades..."

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Carolian on Sat Jan 21, 2006 10:05 pm

Yeah, King's stuff really is criminally underrated. I always think of BAG OF BONES when people start talking about how he's just a big ol' hackity-hack-hack-hack who writes "horrorbooks". I mean, God damn it, if anyone else had written BOB, the literary critics would have gone into a frenzy of pretentious masturbation over it.

And they know this.
The whole world's wild at heart and weird on top.

This is a snakeskin jacket. And for me it's a symbol of my individuality, and my belief... in personal freedom.
Carolian
GRANDO CARLISSIAN

Postby Chairman Kaga on Mon Jan 23, 2006 11:13 pm

Not to mention the likes of Green Mile and The SHawshank Redemption showing he doesn't deal in horror exclusively...

The following may deserve a post in the Animation forum not sure though.

I just found something interesting with the upcoming release of his new book Cell which deals with zombies I thought back to a short story of his from Nightmares and Dreamscapes called Home Delivery which deals with zombies as well. While doing a search I stumbled across the fact that this story was just turned into a short animated film in Spain and was seemingly partially produced by Guillermo Del Toro.

Link to the official site
Poster
[u
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby unikrunk on Fri Mar 17, 2006 1:17 pm

I am reading Cell right now, and tell you this; he has ripped this entire thing off. Please read Childhood's End, by Arthur C. Clark. I am serious. The entire concept is yanked from Clark.

I feel let down.
He can't' love you back...
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby ZombieZoneSolutions on Fri Mar 17, 2006 1:34 pm

unikrunk wrote:I am reading Cell right now, and tell you this; he has ripped this entire thing off. Please read Childhood's End, by Arthur C. Clark. I am serious. The entire concept is yanked from Clark.

I feel let down.

Childhood's End is about cell phone zombies???

Personally, I got a huge kick out of CELL. It's the best thing
that King has written since THE STAND. (Keeping in mind
that I haven't read anything he's written since MISERY.)
ZombieZoneSolutions
AIRWOLF

Postby Flumm on Fri Mar 17, 2006 1:41 pm

ZombieZoneSolutions wrote:...

Childhood's End is about cell phone zombies???

Personally, I got a huge kick out of CELL. It's the best thing
that King has written since THE STAND. (Keeping in mind
that I haven't read anything he's written since MISERY.)

I did a quick search for Childhood's End, and although I can't quite see the exact rip off element, I haven't read either so that doesn't really count for much.

I read that it's a little dated, but I do think Childhood's End sounds just as fascniating as Cell however...

Book Description
When the silent spacecraft arrived and took the light from the world, no one knew what to expect. But, although the Overlords kept themselves hidden from man, they had come to unite a warring world and to offer an end to poverty and crime. When they finally showed themselves it was a shock, but one that humankind could now cope with, and an era of peace, prosperity and endless leisure began. But the children of this utopia dream strange dreams of distant suns and alien planets, and begin to evolve into something incomprehensible to their parents, and soon they will be ready to join the Overmind... and, in a grand and thrilling metaphysical climax, leave the Earth behind. --This text refers to the Hardcover edition.

Synopsis
Silent spacecraft take the light from the world, superintelligent aliens rule with wisdom not force, a new era of invention and prosperity brings hope and peace. The twilight of the human race has begun.

Can you elaborate on the similarities a little for us, Unikrunk?
Last edited by Flumm on Fri Mar 17, 2006 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Flumm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby unikrunk on Fri Mar 17, 2006 1:42 pm

No, it's about seemingly feral children, that begin to move in flock patterns, and exhibit...psychic abilities...and a group mind...

Cell is a total rip. An enjoyable read, but still a rip.
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby ZombieZoneSolutions on Fri Mar 17, 2006 1:47 pm

unikrunk wrote:No, it's about seemingly feral children, that begin to move in flock patterns, and exhibit...psychic abilities...and a group mind...

Cell is a total rip. An enjoyable read, but still a rip.

:shock: Yikes! That is pretty close...

Still, I don't know if i'd call it a total rip, but, yeah, thats pretty
dang close!

Hmm... maybe I should read me some Childhood's End?
ZombieZoneSolutions
AIRWOLF

Postby unikrunk on Fri Mar 17, 2006 1:53 pm

yeah, read it, you will like it.

And to be clear, I like Cell, think it is a fun read. Just, not original.

/but what really is?
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fievel on Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:49 pm

Well, with a few books, a story or two, the DT comic, and some movies... it's a good time to be a Stephen King fan.

The Gingerbread Girl to be printed in Esquire (on stands Just 15):
In the emotional aftermath of her baby’s sudden death, Em starts running. Soon she runs from her husband, to the airport, down to the Florida Gulf and out to the loneliest stretch of Vermillion Key, where her father has offered the use of a conch shack he has kept there for years. Em keeps up her running—barefoot on the beach, sneakers on the road—and sees virtually no one. This is doing her all kinds of good, until one day she makes the mistake of looking into the driveway of a man named Pickering. Pickering also enjoys the privacy of Vermillion Key, but the young women he brings there suffer the consequences….

Richard Bachman returns with Blaze
At 6'7" and just under 300 pounds, Clay Blaisdell is one big mother, but his capers were just small-time until he met George Rackley. George introduced him to a hundred cons and one big idea: kidnapping the child of rich parents.
The Gerards are filthy rich, and the last twig on the family tree could be worth millions. There's only one problem: by the time the deal goes down, the brains of the partnership is dead.

Or is he?

Now Blaze is running into the teeth of a howling storm and cops are closing in. He's got a baby as a hostage, and the Crime of the Century just turned into a race against time in the white hell of the Maine woods

King's Novel "Duma Key" will be released in January 2008.

We have 1408 coming out this summer, The Mist coming out this winter, and Eli Roth's version of Cell to come as well.
The Talisman will be on TNT in a year.
Romero is supposedly still tinkering around the idea of doing From A Buick 8.

J.J. Abrams owns the rights to a Dark Tower movie.

The Dark Tower comic is almost at the end of its first story with new original stories to follow (Jericho Hill!!!!).

It's a good time to be a King fan.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Next

Return to AICN Books