The Official Stephen King Thread

This forum caters to our literary tastes.

Re: Doctor Sleep

Postby TheBaxter on Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:07 am

TheButcher wrote:From io9:
Listen to Stephen King read a chapter from the sequel to The Shining
Cyriaque Lamar wrote:At an awards ceremony at George Mason University last Friday, Stephen King regaled audiences with a chapter from Doctor Sleep, his upcoming novel about a grown-up Danny Torrance from The Shining.

In the book, Danny is a hospice worker who uses his powers to help ill patients to pass away without pain. Unfortunately, he runs afoul of a gang of wandering psychic vampires who feed on people's energy.

King is almost finished with the book — and here I imagined the sequel would be called The Shining 2: Johnny's Back!

Via Lilja's Library. Thanks Gregory!

i would've gone with The Shining 2: Electric BOO!-galoo
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Re: The Official Stephen King Thread

Postby Hermanator X on Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:40 am

A good spoiler free review of Kings new book 11/22/63

Not a huge King fan, but like to dip into his books now and again. This sounds like a one I will be keen to pick up at launch, rather than just when I see it cheap in a book store.
I do like a good time travel yarn, and going by the reviewers assessment it sounds pretty well done. The mechanism of the time travel itself sounds like it has real promise in it for cool story choices.
...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Postby TheButcher on Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:46 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Jesus.

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Tue May 08, 2012 5:40 pm

Publication date set for Dr. Sleep, and a synopsis and such:

Stephenking.com wrote:U.S. publication date for Doctor Sleep has been tentatively set for January 15, 2013
Posted: May 8th, 2012 9:08:34 am EDT

Stephen King returns to the characters and territory of one of his most popular novels ever, The Shining, in this instantly riveting novel about the now middle-aged Dan Torrance (the boy protagonist of The Shining) and the very special twelve-year-old girl he must save from a tribe of murderous paranormals.

On highways across America, a tribe of people called The True Knot travel in search of sustenance. They look harmless—mostly old, lots of polyester, and married to their RVs. But as Dan Torrance knows, and tween Abra Stone learns, The True Knot are quasi-immortal, living off the “steam” that children with the “shining” produce when they are slowly tortured to death.

Haunted by the inhabitants of the Overlook Hotel where he spent one horrific childhood year, Dan has been drifting for decades, desperate to shed his father’s legacy of despair, alcoholism, and violence. Finally, he settles in a New Hampshire town, an AA community that sustains him, and a job at a nursing home where his remnant “shining” power provides the crucial final comfort to the dying. Aided by a prescient cat, he becomes “Doctor Sleep.”

Then Dan meets the evanescent Abra Stone, and it is her spectacular gift, the brightest shining ever seen, that reignites Dan’s own demons and summons him to a battle for Abra’s soul and survival. This is an epic war between good and evil, a gory, glorious story that will thrill the millions of hyper-devoted readers of The Shining and wildly satisfy anyone new to the territory of this icon in the King canon.

This sounds like Insomnia crossed with Dean Koontz crossed with shit. A triple-layer shit-burger with shit-toppings and an order of shit-dressing on the side and served on a steaming pile of shit.

"Aided by a prescient cat." Jesus.

Jesus.
caruso_stalker217
TOO AGED FOR THIS MALARKEY

Re: Jesus.

Postby justcheckin on Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:18 am

caruso_stalker217 wrote:Publication date set for Dr. Sleep, and a synopsis and such:

Stephenking.com wrote:U.S. publication date for Doctor Sleep has been tentatively set for January 15, 2013
Posted: May 8th, 2012 9:08:34 am EDT

Stephen King returns to the characters and territory of one of his most popular novels ever, The Shining, in this instantly riveting novel about the now middle-aged Dan Torrance (the boy protagonist of The Shining) and the very special twelve-year-old girl he must save from a tribe of murderous paranormals.

On highways across America, a tribe of people called The True Knot travel in search of sustenance. They look harmless—mostly old, lots of polyester, and married to their RVs. But as Dan Torrance knows, and tween Abra Stone learns, The True Knot are quasi-immortal, living off the “steam” that children with the “shining” produce when they are slowly tortured to death.

Haunted by the inhabitants of the Overlook Hotel where he spent one horrific childhood year, Dan has been drifting for decades, desperate to shed his father’s legacy of despair, alcoholism, and violence. Finally, he settles in a New Hampshire town, an AA community that sustains him, and a job at a nursing home where his remnant “shining” power provides the crucial final comfort to the dying. Aided by a prescient cat, he becomes “Doctor Sleep.”

Then Dan meets the evanescent Abra Stone, and it is her spectacular gift, the brightest shining ever seen, that reignites Dan’s own demons and summons him to a battle for Abra’s soul and survival. This is an epic war between good and evil, a gory, glorious story that will thrill the millions of hyper-devoted readers of The Shining and wildly satisfy anyone new to the territory of this icon in the King canon.

This sounds like Insomnia crossed with Dean Koontz crossed with shit. A triple-layer shit-burger with shit-toppings and an order of shit-dressing on the side and served on a steaming pile of shit.

Jesus.

I liked the new dark tower book but is he going back through his books now and seeing which ones he can write sequels off of. Seems lazy...
justcheckin
AIRWOLF

Postby so sorry on Sat Jun 30, 2012 1:00 pm

caruso_stalker217 wrote:This sounds like Insomnia crossed with Dean Koontz crossed with shit. A triple-layer shit-burger with shit-toppings and an order of shit-dressing on the side and served on a steaming pile of shit.

Jesus.

So a man and girl who can "shine", paranormal ghosts who haunt them, and polyester clad immortals don't phase you, but a sentient cat does?
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Peven on Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:16 pm

so sorry wrote:
caruso_stalker217 wrote:This sounds like Insomnia crossed with Dean Koontz crossed with shit. A triple-layer shit-burger with shit-toppings and an order of shit-dressing on the side and served on a steaming pile of shit.

Jesus.

So a man and girl who can "shine", paranormal ghosts who haunt them, and polyester clad immortals don't phase you, but a sentient cat does?

a reader has to draw the line somewhere :-P :wink:

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Sat Jun 30, 2012 3:43 pm

so sorry wrote:

Jesus.

The rest sounds bad, too, but the cat just puts it over the top. Like I said, sounds like something out of a Koontz book.

I did listen to the first chapter on the audio version of The Wind Through The Keyhole and it was pretty good. It's the rest that gives me doubts.
caruso_stalker217

Postby TheBaxter on Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:49 am

so sorry wrote:

Jesus.

i'm pretty sure all cats are "sentient"

actually, a "prescient" cat isn't all that strange. you hear stories all the time about dogs and cats in nursing homes that seem to be able to sense when someone's on the way out and they go and sleep on their chests or rub up against them or something, and it sounds from the description like this is more in line with the type of cat in the story. now if we're talking about the cat psychically talking to him and saying "hey, buddy, the old lady in room 4B is about to kick the bucket, you might want to pay her a visit", then yeah, now that would be ALF. i think it's just the way they phrased it ... "aided by a prescient cat"... that makes it sound goofy, in context if it's done the way i think it won't be as goofy as it sounds.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby so sorry on Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:47 am

TheBaxter wrote:
so sorry wrote:

Jesus.

actually, a "prescient" cat isn't all that strange. you hear stories all the time about dogs and cats in nursing homes that seem to be able to sense when someone's on the way out and they go and sleep on their chests or rub up against them or something, and it sounds from the description like this is more in line with the type of cat in the story. now if we're talking about the cat psychically talking to him and saying "hey, buddy, the old lady in room 4B is about to kick the bucket, you might want to pay her a visit", then yeah, now that would be ALF. i think it's just the way they phrased it ... "aided by a prescient cat"... that makes it sound goofy, in context if it's done the way i think it won't be as goofy as it sounds.

Nice, the first post by you in weeks and its to call me out as an idiot! :oops:
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby TheBaxter on Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:36 pm

so sorry wrote:
TheBaxter wrote:
so sorry wrote:

Jesus.

Nice, the first post by you in weeks and its to call me out as an idiot! :oops:

i gotta pick my moments.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:59 pm

TheBaxter wrote:
so sorry wrote:

Jesus.

Everybody knows that cats sleep on peoples' chests so they can steal their breath. It's science.
caruso_stalker217

Postby TheBaxter on Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:09 pm

caruso_stalker217 wrote:Everybody knows that cats sleep on peoples' chests so they can steal their breath. It's science.

no no no. TROLLS steal your breath. cats protect you from the trolls.

TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:21 pm

TheBaxter wrote:
caruso_stalker217 wrote:Everybody knows that cats sleep on peoples' chests so they can steal their breath. It's science.

Damn this American education system!
caruso_stalker217

Postby justcheckin on Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:44 pm

caruso_stalker217 wrote:
TheBaxter wrote:

Damn this American education system!

The best part was what the record was playing.
justcheckin
AIRWOLF

Postby TheBaxter on Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:34 am

Under the Dome is officially becoming a miniseries now

hopefully it'll be better than the book was.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby so sorry on Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:46 am

TheBaxter wrote:Under the Dome is officially becoming a miniseries now

hopefully it'll be better than the book was.

Not likely.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Fievel on Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:48 pm

Looking back, typical King book. There's so much I like about it and an ending that left me flat.
Why does Network Television think they can get Stephen King right? His tone, at its best, is brutal and vicious, and not meant for children. This should be on cable at best, and really on HBO or Showtime. But standard King production warnings apply - Keep Mick Garris away from this.

And M.C. Gainey for Big Jim Renney. Although, I've seen Talkback suggestions for John Goodman that I can't fault, either.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Fievel on Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:35 pm

Why the retread on this news?
Stephen King's 'Under the Dome' gets CBS series order

Notice the headline doesn't say miniseries.......

Fans of the novel shouldn’t expect an exact retelling of the same story. Last we heard, writer Brian K. Vaughan’s (Lost) script for Dome was wisely using the novel’s setup as a launch pad for its own TV-format-friendly version of the story and might even lay the groundwork for a different outcome than the novel’s ending. Also, the CBS version is definitely a series, not a mini-series, with a finale episode that will leave the story open for more seasons.

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

We need a WTF smiley.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:03 am

I haven't read it, but the book is like a thousand fucking pages. They could squeeze at least three seasons out of this bitch.
caruso_stalker217

Postby TheBaxter on Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:25 am

caruso_stalker217 wrote:I haven't read it, but the book is like a thousand fucking pages. They could squeeze at least three seasons out of this bitch.

hopefully the tv show has a better editor than the book.
or make that, hopefully the tv show has an editor, period.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:05 pm

caruso_stalker217

Postby justcheckin on Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:30 pm

caruso_stalker217 wrote:Doctor Sleep Cover Revealed

Very sexy.

Nice!
justcheckin
AIRWOLF

Postby TheBaxter on Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:32 pm

just finished reading Joyland. this was a quick and fast read... which means by King standards, it's practically a short story. anyway, really good book, light on the horror/supernatural/mystery end (though it is in there), heavy on the coming-of-age, emotionally resonant stuff. so yeah, i liked it.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby so sorry on Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:38 pm

TheBaxter wrote:just finished reading Joyland. this was a quick and fast read... which means by King standards, it's practically a short story. anyway, really good book, light on the horror/supernatural/mystery end (though it is in there), heavy on the coming-of-age, emotionally resonant stuff. so yeah, i liked it.

I've read a few good reviews. I'll probably pick this up in paperback when it gets there.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Fievel on Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:37 pm

so sorry wrote:
TheBaxter wrote:just finished reading Joyland. this was a quick and fast read... which means by King standards, it's practically a short story. anyway, really good book, light on the horror/supernatural/mystery end (though it is in there), heavy on the coming-of-age, emotionally resonant stuff. so yeah, i liked it.

I've read a few good reviews. I'll probably pick this up in paperback when it gets there.

It was released in paperback!
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby TheBaxter on Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:40 pm

Fievel wrote:
so sorry wrote:

with a cool cover too!
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby so sorry on Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:45 pm

TheBaxter wrote:
Fievel wrote:
so sorry wrote:

with a cool cover too!

:oops:
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby TheBaxter on Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:21 pm

i just got done reading Doctor Sleep. it's got a couple minor flaws and one MAJOR (at least for me) flaw, but for the most part i really liked it. a little background: i realized when this book was announced that, despite having seen the film multiple times, The Shining was actually one of the few King books that had slipped by unread by me. and considering that King's unhappiness with the film adaptation, and the things that were changed or left out in it, were well known, i figured it was probably a good idea to go ahead and read that book first before i started this one. so i did just that (finished it up at the same time i was handing out Halloween candy last week, in fact) and then started in on Doctor Sleep. i'm glad i did, because the differences DO matter, but it's also at the heart of the major flaw i found with the new book.

first of all, i didn't find The Shining to be all that great a read. probably some of that is how i'm influenced by the movie, which i prefer. at the same time, i can totally understand King's unhappiness with the film. in particular, the de-emphasis of Jack's alcoholism and the way the film (and NIcholson's performance) make Jack seem too crazy too early. still, the film works better for me than the book. not that the film is necessarily better, but when they finally get to the hotel and the spooky stuff starts happening, it's a bit anticlimactic since i felt like i knew what was coming. that's kind of inevitable when you've seen the movie first i guess, but the supernatural parts of the book just didn't scare me much.

Doctor Sleep didn't scare me much either, but i actually enjoyed reading it more. i liked the characters better (i like adult Dan better than 5-year-old Danny) and i liked how the plot of the story progressed. and this is also one of King's better endings, which we all know can be a problem with his books sometimes. I really liked how it circled back into some stuff from The Shining, without going into too much detail.

as for the flaws: one of course is King's trouble with dialogue. it's not too bad here most of the time, but there's a couple of cringeworthy instances. surprisingly King does a pretty good job writing for a 13-year-old girl, but there's still a passage here and there that reminds you that King is getting a little old to write convincing dialogue for kids (though, thankfully, not nearly as bad as his kid-dialogue from Under the Dome). worse is some of the True Knot dialogue. there are a few passage here that, i swear, made me think King was engaging in some product placement. i don't know if it's that, or if King is trying too hard to prove that he's still "hip" and "with it" in regards to modern technology. but apparently there's some website out there that's MUCH better than Google Maps at providing satellite images, and King wants you to know all about it. another character gets really excited about his portable printer and sounds like he's reading ad copy. and the worst offender.... at one point, one of the characters has hacked into some website to get information, and another character asks him "how did you surf the internet while we're on the road?" to which he responds something like "it's 4G baby, welcome to the future". what makes this so bad is that, only a few paragraphs later, the character who asked the question is making a call with his iPhone. he owns and uses an iPhone, and yet he's puzzled about how another person can surf the web from inside their RV. that just hurt.

as for the major flaw, it revolves around the big "twist"/revelation of the book, so i'll go into spoiler-tag land to discuss that: so, we find out that Jack Torrance had an affair at some point after Danny was born and before dying at the Overlook. this is fine, there's nothing in The Shining that contradicts the possibility of that having happened. problem is (and having just read the Shining RIGHT BEFORE starting this book, it really jumped out at me) there's nothing in the Shining that supports it either. there are huge chunks of the Shining devoted to Jack Torrance's guilt: his guilt over his drinking, his guilt over breaking Danny's arm, his guilt over his inability to control his temper, his guilt over beating up one of his student's and losing his teaching job, his guilt at forcing Wendy and Danny into this position of having to come with him to the Overlook because it's his last chance. the entire book is pervaded with Jack Torrance's guilt. and yet, not a single mention of having cheated on his wife. you'd think, considering how guilty he is over these other things, that if he had cheated on his wife, that guilt would be right up there with those other things, right? of course, it's not there because when King wrote the Shining, the character hadn't cheated on his wife. if he had, the guilt of that would have been wrapped up along with all the other things that fueled his guilt, his pride, his anger, and ultimately allowed the Overlook to get inside him and manipulate him. this is one of those flaws that, if i had read the Shining 10 or 20 years ago, instead of just a week before, probably never would have occurred to me. but having the book fresh in my mind, it bothered me.

all that said, i did like the twist itself, just wish King could have made it all "fit" better.

oh, and one last thing:

TheBaxter wrote:actually, a "prescient" cat isn't all that strange. you hear stories all the time about dogs and cats in nursing homes that seem to be able to sense when someone's on the way out and they go and sleep on their chests or rub up against them or something, and it sounds from the description like this is more in line with the type of cat in the story. now if we're talking about the cat psychically talking to him and saying "hey, buddy, the old lady in room 4B is about to kick the bucket, you might want to pay her a visit", then yeah, now that would be ALF. i think it's just the way they phrased it ... "aided by a prescient cat"... that makes it sound goofy, in context if it's done the way i think it won't be as goofy as it sounds.

and....... i was right. that cat plays such a tiny role in the book, in fact, i'm surprised he was even mentioned in the publisher's blurb. it's nothing but a poorly-written blurb for the book, doesn't reflect the quality of the book itself at all.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby so sorry on Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:34 pm

Nice write up Baxter. How long do you think it'll be before Dr Sleep is turned into a movie?
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby TheBaxter on Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:47 pm

i think it would work nicely as a movie (you know how sometimes King writes those books that feel like he's already thinking about how the movie version will play out as he's writing it? this is one of those books).

unfortunately, if this gets made as a movie, King will probably write the screenplay and then give it to his good buddy Mick Garris to direct for the TNT channel or something. maybe even make it a direct sequel to Garris' version of The Shining, which King loves of course because it's slavishly devoted to King's own novel-derived screenplay. i think we all know how that would turn out.

true story: in the author's notes at the end of the book, King writes about how hard it is to follow up a classic because you're competing with people's memories of the original. as an example, he cites Psycho, which he claims had one brilliant sequel: Psycho IV, directed by.... you guessed it.... Mick Garris. he actually says it was as good as the original. it would almost be funny if it weren't so sad. i'd like to think King is just tweaking people who hate on Mick Garris with that comment, but sadly, i think King might actually believe it.

on another note, my next King book will be On Writing. i'm excited about it.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby TheBaxter on Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:43 am

just finished king's On Writing. now i know how to write good.

this book was written in the late 90s. i chuckled at the part where he talks about how he detests flashbacks, knowing what a big fan of Lost he would later become.

thats 3 king books in a row. time to read somebody else.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:49 am

I've finally committed to reading Doctor Sleep after a month and half of false starts and am about two hundred pages in. It is a book and so far a good one. I will enjoy further reading it with my eyes.
caruso_stalker217

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:51 am

TheBaxter wrote:just finished king's On Writing. now i know how to write good.

It is by far the most useful book I've ever read about writing. The fact that it's probably the only book about writing I've ever read is probably irrelevant.

I have actually been unable to write anything since reading it, but I wasn't really writing before anyway.
caruso_stalker217

Postby TheBaxter on Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:58 am

caruso_stalker217 wrote:
TheBaxter wrote:just finished king's On Writing. now i know how to write good.

It is by far the most useful book I've ever read about writing. The fact that it's probably the only book about writing I've ever read is probably irrelevant.

I have actually been unable to write anything since reading it, but I wasn't really writing before anyway.

i've written several posts since i finished reading the book, including the one above. i think you can already see King's influence on my writing... i didn't use a single adverb.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:10 pm

Natch.
caruso_stalker217

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:45 pm

I too have now also completed finishing Doctor Sleep, a novel of the supernatural. I have thoughts.

Overall, an enjoyable experience. Not as good a book as The Shining, obviously. The Shining was written early in King's career, so it was exempt from later King themes, tropes and cliches. I don't believe he has written another book like The Shining, as he has not written another 'Salem's Lot or Dead Zone and so on. The Shining is an original and Doctor Sleep is not, because it is a sequel. But also because it feels too much like other stuff he's already written. A group of people coming together to fight Evil, kids with magic powers, precocious kids with magic powers, evil creatures that look human, evil creatures that look human feeding off peoples' auras/lifeforce/emotions, weak mundane villains that somehow manage to also be cartoonish and ridiculous and have silly names. I felt like I was being punished or something, having to see names like "Rose the Hat" and "Steamhead Steve" over and over.

Dan Torrance is a good character, but I couldn't help feeling that the whole "Doctor Sleep" thing was underused, or rather the main story with the True Knot sorta overshadowed it or made it feel kind of whatever the fuck. I hate to say it, but I think I'd rather read about Dan's work at the hospice and going to AA meetings than a tribe of incompetent middle-aged RV-driving vampires bumbling about the country and doing little of consequence. It doesn't help that it's strongly suggested thatthey will all die soon of the measles without any interference from the protagonists. And the main villain wears a hat and is named Rose the Hat.

A word about the third act twist/revelation: I thought that was kind of weird and maybe a little forced. But I will disagree with Baxter that it didn't gel with the stuff in The Shining, becauseI think King made an effort to suggest that Jack was probably so fucking smashed on the alcohol that he like blacked out or whatever and didn't remember. So maybe that was the one time he was unfaithful to Wendy and he didn't remember putting his dick in a strange pussy because he was drunk. But that sounds like the kind of excuse he'd make if Wendy had caught him or something.

Okay, I've changed my mind. That's pretty thin.

I was a little more disappointed in the resolution of the story. Setting it at the site of where the Overlook used to stand is a pretty good idea, but the execution was kinda weak. I would have liked it if it were tied into The Shining more. There is a moment where Rose the Hat gets into Dan's head and starts fucking with him, but he shuts her down pretty fast, because a strong and formidable antagonist would be boring I guess. I wouldn't have minded more mind games during this portion. Taking Dan back to his childhood, unleashing all those fears and shit, and Dan would have to finally face his past, which I figured was where King was going to go with the idea of the lockboxes back at the beginning. But he didn't. Dan just sets that Horace Derwent guy loose and he kills the dumpy broad with the speech impediment and that was it. And earlier he coughed out an old dead lady who then killed all the weak, uninteresting bad guys. And Ghost Jack showed up and punched Rose the Hat a couple times or some shit.

So that was a missed fucking opportunity I think. Although I did find it a little touching that Dan and Jack got to have a little moment, sort of.

The last scene was really good, I thought. I wish the rest of the book could have been more about that stuff and less about whatever the fuck was going on with those dopey steam-sucking fucks.
caruso_stalker217

Postby TheBaxter on Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:32 pm

i agree the bad guys were the weakest part of that book. although i think at least part of the point was that these people weren't a threat to THE COUNTRY or THE WORLD or LIFE AS WE KNOW IT, but were really just a threat to Abra, and that regardless of the fact they were on the verge of extinction they'd still live long enough to kill her rather brutally before they went. after that lame kidnap attempt though, even that wasn't much of a threat. i mean, it's like he WANTED her to get away or something. but, i thought it was at least a little refreshing that the stakes were smaller, i mean, King already wrote the Stand, we don't need that again.

as for the twist/revelation, i thought the book made it pretty clear that there had been some kind of ongoing thing between Abra's gramma and Jack, at least from her perspective as she related it to Abra's great-gramma and she then related it back to Dan who later related it back to Abra's mom who was Dan's half-sister. but i returned the book to the library already so i can't look up the passage where they talked about that.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:23 pm

I guess the big problem for me was that I never felt that any of the characters were in any actual danger. I mean, Abra is totally OP from the start and Rose the Hat is consistently outmatched at every turn. I was actually surprised that none of the good guys got sacrificed at any point. It's rare in a King book for the heroes to emerge victorious without suffering at least one casualty. So I didn't mind that the stakes weren't too high, I just wish that it had at least been a challenge.

I think that's why I would have preferred a(n even) smaller, more character-driven approach. Maybe show more of the contrast between Dan and Jack, having the son triumph where his father failed. Instead of Dan getting sober within the first hundred pages, make that the main thrust of the story. Have him ultimately beat his demons, instead of being consumed by them as his father was. Maybe that's too typical or cliched, but I think there is more interesting material there than the True Knot stuff.

But I shouldn't be judging the book for what it isn't. That's kinda pointless and unfair.

Oh yeah, and that whole thing about PSYCHO IV in the author's note was pretty fucking incredible. I thought PSYCHO II was supposed to be the brilliant sequel.
caruso_stalker217

Postby TheBaxter on Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:33 am

King's getting soft in his old age. gone are the days when Johnny Smith dies at the end of the Dead Zone, or EVERYONE dies at the end of Pet Sematary. i would have preferred it if Dan had died... i really thought he was heading in that direction when he got sick towards the end. but, as i mentioned, i think King was already thinking about the inevitable TV-Movie adaptation and those Lifetime Channel viewers just wouldn't have it if he killed off the main character.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:36 pm

Yeah, it's kinda bothersome. Just look at something like Wizard and Glass. Roland is a damn capable fourteen year old, but even he is overconfident at times and that ends up costing him greatly. I think there needed to be a good "too big for your britches" scene for Abra. Something costly. A somewhat inconvenient kidnapping just doesn't cut it.

But, yeah, no way this thing gets adapted as a feature film. First off, no one wants to follow Kubrick's film. Second, they really can't follow his film because Doctor Sleep is too tied in to the original book. Thirdmost...this ain't good enough to be a real movie. I'm not even sure it's worth shooting for television.
caruso_stalker217

Postby TheBaxter on Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:48 pm

caruso_stalker217 wrote:But, yeah, no way this thing gets adapted as a feature film. First off, no one wants to follow Kubrick's film.

that's probably the biggest reason. that, and also, how long has it been since there's been a successful feature film adaptation of a King book? 1408? The Mist? and those weren't exactly blockbusters. King is pretty much a TV writer these days, and a lot of that is due to his unwillingness to let good writers and directors adapt his work, which is itself at least partly the result of The Shining (though also, in fairness, the result of some pretty crappy movies based on his books as well). i think King's control issues over his books is largely responsible for the switch to TV shows/movies.

caruso_stalker217 wrote:Second, they really can't follow his film because Doctor Sleep is too tied in to the original book.

i think they could get around that. the things that are different from the film aren't really central to the story. the main plot of the film involving Danny, Abra, and the True Knot really doesn't depend on anything from the Shining. some of the prologue stuff would have to change, but that would probably be cut out altogether anyway. the biggest difference would be explaining why the Overlook isn't around anymore, but i'm sure they can come up with something. or more likely, they'd change the ending so that the Overlook was still standing. maybe the True Knot bought it and turned it into their own private resort (like the mob had done in the past as King mentions in the original novel). they'd have to throw out all that lockbox stuff, but like you said, it didn't really amount to much anyway, and if the Overlook was still standing, it would give you that deeper tie-in to the Shining you wanted, maybe with the True Knot using the ghosts of his past against him, him having to face his past all over again, etc.

in some ways, this book would make for an easy sequel. no need to resign the cast members, as most are dead by the time this book takes place, and the one who isn't was a 5-year-old boy, so recasting is really not an issue. the only issue would be getting jack nicholson's cameo... but if he won't do it, they can just hire the wind from The Happening.

once again, though, the biggest impediment to that would be King. no way he'd allow the sequel to be adapted to account for the film version he prefers to ignore.

caruso_stalker217 wrote:Thirdmost...this ain't good enough to be a real movie. I'm not even sure it's worth shooting for television.

not good enough even for Mick Garris? damn, you really didn't like it!
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Bloo on Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:08 am

TheBaxter wrote:King's getting soft in his old age. gone are the days when Johnny Smith dies at the end of the Dead Zone, or EVERYONE dies at the end of Pet Sematary. i would have preferred it if Dan had died... i really thought he was heading in that direction when he got sick towards the end. but, as i mentioned, i think King was already thinking about the inevitable TV-Movie adaptation and those Lifetime Channel viewers just wouldn't have it if he killed off the main character.

Yes I'm still alive LOL My inital reaction on Facebook after finishing Dr Sleep was "this was awesome!" but Ithink that was because I liked the character of Dan so much. And I totally thought King was going to kill Dan in a spectacular fashion. Or at least the old man friend...or the doctor.

But I have zero interest in returning to the world of Dr. Sleep...unless it's a third book that is just about him putting old people to sleep and going to AA meetings. I agree with caruso, that stuff was great.
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:29 am

I watched the film INSIDIOUS for the first time yesterday and I've come to the conclusion that Patrick Wilson should play Dan Torrance in the eventual Lifetime Original Movie version of Doctor Sleep or whatever the fuck.
caruso_stalker217

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:15 pm

caruso_stalker217

Postby TheBaxter on Thu Dec 19, 2013 3:58 pm

shades of The Dead Zone and 11/22/63. count me in.

in related (literally) news...

i've been reading NOS4A2 by joe hill. the apple does not fall far from the tree. this is the 2nd book of his i've read, Horns being #1 (which i liked better). i always had the impression that joe hill wanted to distance himself from his dad as much as possible, but this book really comes off like stephen king jr. it even has IT and dark tower references in it. also, like much of king sr.'s work, it could use some paring down. at 700pp it feels longer than it needs to be. like father, like son.

weirdly enough, having just recently read doctor sleep, i'm noticing some odd parallels between this book and that one. both feature a young female main character with psychic powers, a villain who is some kind of psychic vampire, both books feature large jumps forward in time, the kidnapping of a child, and even references to 9/11 in the story. they are still very different books otherwise, but that many coincidences between father and son books written at about the same time is almost spooky.

ETA: and only moments after posting this and going back to my book, i come across this line, spoken by the big baddie in NOS4A2 himself... "There is the True Knot, who live on the road and are in much the same line of work as myself. I leave them be and they are glad to return the favor." so yeah, i'd say joe hill is not too concerned with keeping a distance from his father's works after all.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Bloo on Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:55 pm

TheBaxter wrote:shades of The Dead Zone and 11/22/63. count me in.

in related (literally) news...

i've been reading NOS4A2 by joe hill. the apple does not fall far from the tree. this is the 2nd book of his i've read, Horns being #1 (which i liked better). i always had the impression that joe hill wanted to distance himself from his dad as much as possible, but this book really comes off like stephen king jr. it even has IT and dark tower references in it. also, like much of king sr.'s work, it could use some paring down. at 700pp it feels longer than it needs to be. like father, like son.

weirdly enough, having just recently read doctor sleep, i'm noticing some odd parallels between this book and that one. both feature a young female main character with psychic powers, a villain who is some kind of psychic vampire, both books feature large jumps forward in time, the kidnapping of a child, and even references to 9/11 in the story. they are still very different books otherwise, but that many coincidences between father and son books written at about the same time is almost spooky.

ETA: and only moments after posting this and going back to my book, i come across this line, spoken by the big baddie in NOS4A2 himself... "There is the True Knot, who live on the road and are in much the same line of work as myself. I leave them be and they are glad to return the favor." so yeah, i'd say joe hill is not too concerned with keeping a distance from his father's works after all.

My favorite of Joe Hill's work is Heart-Shaped Box, and I think it was after that or Horns that his linage came to light and since then, Hill has been less concerned about making a name for himself on his own.
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:11 am

I liked NOS4A2 a lot. I think he's grown a lot as a writer and it may be his best-written yet, but Horns is probably his best overall cuz like emotions and such. I liked the King references and liked that his dad including NOS4A2 references in Doctor Sleep, because nerd shit.

Normally I wouldn't say this kind of shit, but I think Tim Burton could do a good NOS4A2 movie, but he'd probably cast Depp as Charlie Manx and nobody needs that shit.
caruso_stalker217

Re: Doctor Sleep/Stand By Me

Postby TheButcher on Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:58 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Doctor Sleep/Stand By Me

Postby TheBaxter on Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:24 pm

i can see it.

seems like john cusack wants to be the leo dicaprio to king's marty scorsese.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

PreviousNext

Return to AICN Books