The Official Stephen King Thread

This forum caters to our literary tastes.

Re: The Official Stephen King Thread

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:30 pm

TheBaxter wrote:

i can see it.

seems like john cusack wants to be the leo dicaprio to king's marty scorsese.

I still say Patrick Wilson is the guy to go to. Cusack could be good if they remember to break out the smelling salts before each take.
caruso_stalker217
TOO AGED FOR THIS MALARKEY

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:32 pm

caruso_stalker217

Postby TheBaxter on Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:51 pm

i dunno why, but when i was reading the book i for some reason pictured elijah wood as grown-up danny.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Fievel on Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:30 pm

caruso_stalker217 wrote:Oh, and this:

http://shelf-life.ew.com/2014/02/13/new ... g-revival/

Oh sweet Jesus that sounds awesome!
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby so sorry on Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:37 pm

Fievel wrote:
caruso_stalker217 wrote:Oh, and this:

http://shelf-life.ew.com/2014/02/13/new ... g-revival/

Oh sweet Jesus that sounds awesome!

...on its way to the most terrifying conclusion Stephen King has ever written.

/insert Baxter joke about King's lack of good endings...

And P.S., this sounds pretty good!
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:47 pm

Sounds like a Joe Hill book.

Four new novels from the master in two years. He's spoiling us.
caruso_stalker217

Postby TheBaxter on Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:48 pm

damning with faint praise?

king does have good endings from time to time. pet sematary, carrie, that jfk time travel book. i'm sure there's some others. and i liked the "ending" of the dark tower saga.

anyway, both of his new books sound good. as long as he doesn't try to write modern teenage dialogue, he's still going strong.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:10 pm

caruso_stalker217

Postby so sorry on Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:16 am

caruso_stalker217 wrote:'Revival' cover revealed.

Looks like the title of the book is "Stephen King" written by Revival.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Al Shut on Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:22 pm

I didn't know Stephen King needed a revival, has he been out of fashion?
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby TheBaxter on Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:48 pm

looks like a sequel to Dianetics.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby TheBaxter on Mon May 05, 2014 3:08 pm

68-page french/german short story e-book by Stephen King to become a feature film

in related news, Fox and Sony are currently in a bidding war over adapting a grocery list King wrote last week, while Dreamworks is moving ahead with their feature film adaptation of yearbook quotes King wrote for his high school classmates.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Mon May 05, 2014 3:22 pm

TheBaxter wrote:68-page french/german short story e-book by Stephen King to become a feature film

in related news, Fox and Sony are currently in a bidding war over adapting a grocery list King wrote last week, while Dreamworks is moving ahead with their feature film adaptation of yearbook quotes King wrote for his high school classmates.

heh, I don't know anything about this e-book but I don't have a problem with this generally. I've always enjoyed King's concepts more than his actual writing. If it's adapted by someone decent, that is.
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby Fievel on Mon May 05, 2014 3:39 pm

Some of King's best films - Stand by Me, Shawshank Redemption, and The Green Mile were short stories.... here's hoping for another home run. The story sounds interesting.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby TheBaxter on Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:57 am

TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:17 pm

Anybody pick up Mr. Mercedes yet? I'm over 100 pages in so far and of all his books this is by far the most recent.
caruso_stalker217

Postby TheBaxter on Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:23 am

i'll be picking it up as soon as my local library gets it.
and then i'll be putting it down 3 weeks later.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Wed Jun 11, 2014 4:44 am

According to King on the Twitter, Mr. Mercedes is the first in a projected trilogy. Finders Keepers will be published next year.

You going James Patterson on me, motherfucker?

In all seriousness, though, I'm kinda jazzed about this. I just finished Mr. Mercedes and ended up liking it a lot (no bad kid dialogue/fist bumps). This was a very different King book (but with a lot of the familiar King tropes) and I like the idea of him doing more with these characters. The ending does set up a sequel and I look forward to reading the further adventures of Detective Kermit and his crimefighting pals.
caruso_stalker217

Postby TheBaxter on Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:11 pm

so i'm only about 15 pages into Mr Mercedes and already i've had to read King explain what "downsizing" and "underwater" mean, and also see him refer to a woman with a "tramp stamp on her ankle."

King is like one of those old guys who are so out of touch they think everyone around them is just as out of touch as they are and so they have to explain everything to them. he reminds me of that commercial with the old lady who posts vacation pictures on her wall (her actual, physical wall) and then tells the other lady that she's been unfriended. you want to shake King and yell at him "that's not how it works! that's not how any of this works!"

still, it would have been nice for someone to explain to poor Stephen that tramp stamps are those tattoos on a woman's lower back. NOT the ankle. like maybe an editor or something. oh that's right, King hasn't had an editor in decades.

this is gonna be a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNNNNNGGGG read.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:27 pm

Eventually that stuff starts to fall to the wayside and the story takes over. At least it did for me. But, yeah, King is really awful at that stuff.

That's what I admire about Elmore Leonard. Dude was writing well into his eighties and never sounded out of touch.
caruso_stalker217

Postby so sorry on Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:50 pm

TheBaxter wrote: a woman with a "tramp stamp on her ankle."

That is one saggy ass!
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Fievel on Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:56 pm

TheBaxter wrote:King is like one of those old guys who are so out of touch they think everyone around them is just as out of touch as they are and so they have to explain everything to them. he reminds me of that commercial with the old lady who posts vacation pictures on her wall (her actual, physical wall) and then tells the other lady that she's been unfriended. you want to shake King and yell at him "that's not how it works! that's not how any of this works!"

One of the worst qualities of King's works and I don't understand why no one - even his family that notoriously reads his first drafts - tells him to knock this shit off.

And that commercial makes me laugh every time.

caruso_stalker217 wrote:That's what I admire about Elmore Leonard. Dude was writing well into his eighties and never sounded out of touch.

One of the best qualities of Leonard's works. Even his most recent novels - without knowing who wrote it, you'd think it was by someone half Leonard's age, if not younger. The guy was just sharp and aware of the world around him.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby so sorry on Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:13 pm

Fievel wrote:
TheBaxter wrote:King is like one of those old guys who are so out of touch they think everyone around them is just as out of touch as they are and so they have to explain everything to them. he reminds me of that commercial with the old lady who posts vacation pictures on her wall (her actual, physical wall) and then tells the other lady that she's been unfriended. you want to shake King and yell at him "that's not how it works! that's not how any of this works!"

One of the worst qualities of King's works and I don't understand why no one - even his family that notoriously reads his first drafts - tells him to knock this shit off.

I've told numerous family members to knock stupid shit off, with varied results. No reason to think that King's friends/family/editors haven't told him to make changes that he decided not to do!
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby TheBaxter on Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:45 am

deeper into the book now and it is getting better. King still has the storytelling skillz. if only he could resist the temptation to periodically prove to the reader that he knows what things like Firefox and Facebook are.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby TheBaxter on Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:44 pm

barring any unforeseen circumstances (such as my job actually making me do work the day before a holiday), i should be finishing this book up today. this one's got its hooks in me, in spite of the occasional clunky technological name-dropping, and King's unfortunate decision to have one of his characters lapse into ebonics on a regular basis. so, the typical modern-day King book that is a compelling read, even with the usual King foibles on display. down to the last 100 pages, let's see if he manages to stick the landing on this one or serve up one of his traditional undercooked endings. it's pretty much a coinflip with his books.

EDIT
and it's done. the ending was.... OK. it was tense enough. and as far as i'm aware this is the first King book that ends with an obvious set-up for a sequel, (not counting the DT books of course). middle-level stuff, not a must read but enjoyable. and like more and more of King's stuff, not an out-and-out horror novel either. i'll probably have forgotten this book almost completely within a week though.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby TheBaxter on Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:41 am

TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby so sorry on Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:16 am

TheBaxter wrote:Feature version of Stephen King's The Stand has a potential director

(channeling my inner Butcher today)

Such a doomed project. Three hours can't possible be enough, yet the Peter Jackson Method would probably be overkill. The tv miniseries probably had the right amount of time devoted to it, but alas it was a made for TV production, with made for tv actors and actresses (yes I'm aware that the series had an up-and-coming movie actor Gary Sinese as well as a veteran in Ruby Dee, but it was mostly chock full of small screen actors). And I liked the series (I have it taped on VHS tapes somewhere in my basement). I know this is a tired old statement, but I'd love to see a Showtime/HBO/AMC series done right, with some good studio backing (monetarily). The stigma of Movie Stars doing tv series is no longer, so the right project with the right director can attract the right talent for tv.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby TheBaxter on Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:44 am

so sorry wrote:the right project with the right director can attract the right talent for tv.

paging Mick Garris!
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby TheBaxter on Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:33 am

trailer for new Stephen King film A Good Marriage

i remember the book and i remember this story. it was one of the good ones. this looks like it could be a really good film.
apparently this is being released Oct 3, the same weekend as Gone Girl. that could make for quite the double feature.
between this and Gone Girl and Horns, October is shaping up to be a very fun month of films.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby so sorry on Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:49 am

TheBaxter wrote:trailer for new Stephen King film A Good Marriage

i remember the book and i remember this story. it was one of the good ones. this looks like it could be a really good film.
apparently this is being released Oct 3, the same weekend as Gone Girl. that could make for quite the double feature.
between this and Gone Girl and Horns, October is shaping up to be a very fun month of films.

I saw that yesterday and thought it looked sufficiently creepy (and King-y). Not on my list to see in the theater, but I'd definitely put it on my rental list.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:13 pm

A good choice for adaptation. It was the best story in Full Dark, No Stars. If they did the ending like the story it will be very good indeed.

King wrote the screenplay, which always equals success.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NV9FyLcrXGE#t=5196
caruso_stalker217

Postby Fievel on Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:24 am

caruso_stalker217 wrote:A good choice for adaptation. It was the best story in Full Dark, No Stars. If they did the ending like the story it will be very good indeed.

King wrote the screenplay, which always equals success.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NV9FyLcrXGE#t=5196

Holy FUCK!!!! I can't believe (remember) how horrible that is!!!!

Remember kids, the equation always holds true...... Stephen King + Mick Garris = Complete Shit.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:42 am

Wait a minute, wait a minute, just checking your work there.... yep.
caruso_stalker217

Postby TheBaxter on Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:45 am

Fievel wrote:Remember kids, the equation always holds true...... Stephen King + Mick Garris = Complete Shit.

i think i can simplify that equation for you:

Mick Garris = Complete Shit

yep, still works. also this:

Mick Garris - Stephen King = Critters 2
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Sat Nov 15, 2014 8:38 am

Anyone else reading Revival? I'm halfway through and no annoying kid talk or anything.
caruso_stalker217

Postby TheBaxter on Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:12 am

it's next on my list, if and when i ever finish Prince Lestat.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Bloo on Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:36 pm

caruso_stalker217 wrote:Anyone else reading Revival? I'm halfway through and no annoying kid talk or anything.

Finished and it's awesome
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Mon Nov 17, 2014 5:20 pm

I just finished it this morning. I liked it, but it was such a slow burn and it all basically just built up to one short scene where not much really happens I felt it would have been much stronger as a 100+ page novella.

Not bad, not great. No embarrassing kid dialogue or tech jargon.
caruso_stalker217

Postby Bloo on Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:23 am

caruso_stalker217 wrote:I just finished it this morning. I liked it, but it was such a slow burn and it all basically just built up to one short scene where not much really happens I felt it would have been much stronger as a 100+ page novella.

I think the ending will stay with me because of the slow burn leading up to it. And I liked that it wasn't this epic world shaking event but rather what effects one man and his life.
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby TheBaxter on Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:56 am

caruso_stalker217 wrote:I just finished it this morning. I liked it, but it was such a slow burn and it all basically just built up to one short scene where not much really happens I felt it would have been much stronger as a 100+ page novella.

so you're saying a Stephen King book had a crap ending?

:shock:
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:26 pm

I didn't think the ending was crap, I just felt it didn't need 300+ pages of buildup. But I also didn't think the book was too long or boring or anything. The prota-gonist is likable and shit and you want shit to work out for him. As far as recent King goes, I thought it was better than Doctor Sleep and Mr. Mercedes.
caruso_stalker217

Postby Bloo on Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:46 pm

I've yet to read Mr Mercedes although almost everyone I talk to says its crap, and yet King is writing a sequel to it.
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:03 pm

When it gets away from the technical stuff and smartass teenage sidekick Mr. Mercedes gets pretty good. You just have to make it through some groan-worthy stuff before the story really takes off. Overall I didn't go crazy for the book, but I'm interested to see more of the characters because they became quite likable by the end. Plus the ending was very "Tune In Next Week" which is really unusual for King, outside of the Dark Tower series. So I think it's cool that he's doing a direct continuation of the story.
caruso_stalker217

Re: Mr. Mercedes

Postby TheBaxter on Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:13 pm

TheBaxter wrote:and it's done. the ending was.... OK. it was tense enough. and as far as i'm aware this is the first King book that ends with an obvious set-up for a sequel, (not counting the DT books of course). middle-level stuff, not a must read but enjoyable. and like more and more of King's stuff, not an out-and-out horror novel either. i'll probably have forgotten this book almost completely within a week though.

i must be psychic. it's been more than a week, but that last sentence is strangely prophetic.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:54 am

caruso_stalker217

Postby TheBaxter on Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:48 pm

back to Revival

i finished it and it was OK. i can see the point about it being a bit fluffed up (what King book isn't fluffed up?) and i guess a fluffed-up King short story turns into a 400-page novel, since usually it's a fluffed-up 400-page novel that turns into a 700-page novel. it's an odd book, because it feels like two different books crammed into one: one is a long, drawn-out memoir-style story (this is most of the stuff that would be considered fluff) and the other is this dark Lovecraftian story that only peeks through here and there, but then takes over for good towards the end. and that end.... well, there's a reason so many Lovecraft stories end with something along the lines of "he saw something so horrible it was beyond words, and then he went mad." because actually trying to describe it would probably come off as silly. and King tries to actually describe it. and it is silly.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:19 pm

Official coverworks for Mr. Mercedes sequels Finders/Losers/Keepers/Weepers.
caruso_stalker217

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:19 pm

JUNE 2ND.
caruso_stalker217

Postby TheBaxter on Sat May 02, 2015 6:30 pm

Mr. Mercedes wins Edgar award for best mystery novel

this perplexes me. Mr. Mercedes was a pretty good book, but just that. pretty good. if it was the best mystery novel of the year, it must've been a pretty weak year for mystery novels.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Fri Jun 05, 2015 11:14 pm

I'm almost 150 pages into Finders Keepers. Hodges has yet to appear (note for Baxter who has probably forgotten there is a book out there called Mr. Mercedes and that this a sequel: Hodges was the proto-gonist of that book) but his buddy Ben (note for Baxter: Ben was the smart-ass kid who would lapse into ebonics to annoy Hodges [Hodges was the central character of the first book, remember]) has been mentioned.

So far this is less of a sequel and more of a separate story set in the same universe (the universe of Mr. Mercedes, Baxter, a novel by Stephen King). There are several references to events in Mr. Mercedes but this one feels much more like a traditional crime story with buried loot and a grizzled ex-con looking to retrieve it...at any cost. I'm digging it so far. No annoying kid-speak or techno-bullshit.

caruso_stalker217

PreviousNext

Return to AICN Books