Jasper Fforde, Thursday Next, & the Toast Marketing Boar

This forum caters to our literary tastes.

Jasper Fforde, Thursday Next, & the Toast Marketing Boar

Postby Crayotic Rockwell on Sat Dec 10, 2005 4:52 am

Anyone get into the Jasper Fforde series of literary detective novels?

Summary from Salon.com wrote:Thursday Next lives in 1980s Britain, but hers is an alternate version of our own world, lacking in some of our technology (jet planes) and advanced in others we've barely tapped, such as genetic engineering. (Thursday has a pet dodo and the Neanderthal has been brought back, to mixed success.) In Thursday's world, people can travel through time, but the practice is tightly controlled by a division of the Special Operations police force called the ChronoGuard. Thursday works for SpecOps, too, but in another division. She's a literary detective.

In what must be the most outlandish of Fforde's tweaks to our reality, literature is hugely popular in Thursday's Britain. You know the way teenage girls feel about the boy band or warbling nymphet of the month? Well, that's the way millions of solid citizens feel about Byron and Milton where Thursday comes from. And then there are the Shakespeare fans -- enough of them, in fact, to form a decisive voting bloc.

I've just got through the last of the Thursday Next novels and am waiting on The Big Over-Easy: A Nursery Crime, and I can't get enough of this stuff.. the style is reminiscent of Terry Prachett (and so i'm told Douglas Adams, altho I still haven't gotten round to Hitchhikers, don't know why), and the concepts thrown about in the series are ridiculously ingenious.

I'm not really that good at shilling, so instead i'll just leave some links to review of the first book where people who know what they're talking about can pimp it better: Curledup.com review, Salon Review
The Anime Stock Exchange for all your anime tripe
Crayotic Rockwell
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby Coldfire24 on Sat Dec 10, 2005 5:48 am

I didn't read that.
Coldfire24
AIRWOLF

Postby The Dude on Sun Dec 11, 2005 6:39 pm

I read and really enjoyed the Eyre Affair, but only got halfway through the next book. I should pick it back up again.
The Dude
GLIB

Postby Ribbons on Sun Dec 11, 2005 6:48 pm

Oh snap, that's right!

I bought The Eyre Affair. It's on my shelf waiting to be read.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Crayotic Rockwell on Sun Dec 11, 2005 6:58 pm

The Dude wrote:I read and really enjoyed the Eyre Affair, but only got halfway through the next book. I should pick it back up again.

The reviews seem to say that the second one does start out rather slow before picking up, not that I noticed.. but they know bigger words than me, so I presume they're more apt to know what they're talking about
The Anime Stock Exchange for all your anime tripe
Crayotic Rockwell
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby The Dude on Sun Dec 11, 2005 7:13 pm

Crayotic Rockwell wrote:The reviews seem to say that the second one does start out rather slow before picking up, not that I noticed.. but they know bigger words than me, so I presume they're more apt to know what they're talking about

Well, I have it right here on my shelf. I'll start reading it again with that in mind.
The Dude
GLIB

Postby Cabiria on Sat Dec 17, 2005 4:46 am

These are fantastic books, especially to those of us with a literary bent. Tons of inside jokes and allusions. I'm eager to read the new book, which I believe is based on the novel Thursday was living in. Right?
Cabiria
MONKEY BUTLER

What Are You Reading?

Postby Nachokoolaid on Thu May 05, 2011 11:38 pm

Anybody here read the Thursday Next series?

A friend recommended them. In fact, she said no self respecting teacher can call himself a teacher without having read them. I just wanted to know what anyone thought of them.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Re: What Are You Reading?

Postby Ribbons on Fri May 06, 2011 2:50 am

Nachokoolaid wrote:Anybody here read the Thursday Next series?

A friend recommended them. In fact, she said no self respecting teacher can call himself a teacher without having read them. I just wanted to know what anyone thought of them.

I've read The Eyre Affair, which I believe is the first book in the series. It was pretty neat. I don't know about the whole "self-respecting teacher" thing, but it is chock full of literary references and scholarship. Also the plot is a lot like Hot Fuzz, which is a plus.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Nachokoolaid on Sun May 08, 2011 2:19 pm

Ribbons wrote:
Nachokoolaid wrote:Anybody here read the Thursday Next series?

I've read The Eyre Affair, which I believe is the first book in the series. It was pretty neat. I don't know about the whole "self-respecting teacher" thing, but it is chock full of literary references and scholarship. Also the plot is a lot like Hot Fuzz, which is a plus.

Does it matter that I'm not a huge Jane Eyre fan? Just read some excerpts.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby Ribbons on Sun May 08, 2011 9:11 pm

Well, the plot and characters of Jane Eyre do factor heavily into the first story, but I don't think it would make or break the book for you. There's a lot more going on.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Re: Jasper Fforde, Thursday Next & the Toast Marketing Boar

Postby Nachokoolaid on Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:13 pm

Ribbons wrote:Well, the plot and characters of Jane Eyre do factor heavily into the first story, but I don't think it would make or break the book for you. There's a lot more going on.

I just finished The Eyre Affair. It was a blast. I'm just pissed that Acheron Hades died. I thought he was one of the best villains I've read in a long time. I would have liked to spend some more time with him in the other books. Who knows, in the world that Fforde sets up, maybe he'll be resurrected. If not that, I hope that some new villain can fill the void. I enjoyed the book immensely, and its new take on "time travel."

I can see myself reading this entire series very easily. I think I'll start the next one.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Return to AICN Books