A Song of Ice and Fire

This forum caters to our literary tastes.

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire

Postby so sorry on Tue Jul 05, 2016 2:20 pm

TheBaxter wrote:GRR Martin's original outline and description (with possible spoilers!) for the entire 3-book ASOIAF series

the main spoiler is the 5 characters GRRM foresaw surviving the entire series and being the focus of the tale. they're all still alive, and with one possible exception, all seem to still be as central to the story as they were in his original vision.

more fun, however, are reading all the things that have since changed. for example:

- sansa and joffrey have a baby!
- no red wedding! robb dies in battle, and catelyn flees north with bran and arya.
- a love affair between jon and... arya? it's looking like jon+dany might happen in the actual series, or, if it's a stark sister, jon+sansa. sansa seems the most different from her original character, since this describes her as staying loyal to joffrey. and arya is never all on her own after the first book, like she ends up in the actual series, so the description of arya here actually resembles sansa more than how arya turned out. that's also why i think arya, as one of the main 5 characters, may actually now be arya + sansa, or even just sansa. so even though arya is originall described as surviving til the end, i think she may actually not make it anymore.
- jon's true parentage revealed in the last book! little did GRRM know that his ultimate twist would be spoiled by a TV show of the same name before he ever finished that last book of his.
- dany kills drogo! (on purpose, i mean)
- jaime ruthlessly kills everyone and ascends to the iron throne! looks like cersei has taken over that part of his character (no mention of cersei in the letter).


Wild stuff! Not sure about that love affair business though...
User avatar
so sorry
Deacon Blues
 
Posts: 15228
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:29 am

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire

Postby Ribbons on Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:54 pm

User avatar
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG
 
Posts: 13583
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:00 am

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire

Postby Peven on Wed Jul 06, 2016 12:41 am

that is one dirty old fucked up dude. I guarantee he at least thought about putting human-dragon bestiality in there, too. why everyone thinks he is some adorable charming old guy has always been beyond me. I mean, sure, I love the show, but come on, when you consider all the rape and various sexual debauchery, some with decidedly underage girls, and it was written by some old guy with a santa beard.........he's not charmingly adorable, he's the old nasty dude who shows up at the strip club at 12:01 p.m. right after they open and just sits there making his $20 in $1's last until closing time.
Image

perversely contrarian since 2005
User avatar
Peven
Is This Real Life?
 
Posts: 14175
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:45 am
Location: Group W bench

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire

Postby so sorry on Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:29 am

Peven wrote:...but come on, when you consider all the rape and various sexual debauchery, some with decidedly underage girls, and it was written by some old guy with a santa beard.........he's not charmingly adorable, he's the old nasty dude who shows up at the strip club at 12:01 p.m. right after they open and just sits there making his $20 in $1's last until closing time.


Sitting right next to Steven King, he who had akid gang bang in his novel IT.
User avatar
so sorry
Deacon Blues
 
Posts: 15228
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:29 am

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire

Postby TheBaxter on Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:38 am

Peven wrote:that is one dirty old fucked up dude. I guarantee he at least thought about putting human-dragon bestiality in there, too. why everyone thinks he is some adorable charming old guy has always been beyond me. I mean, sure, I love the show, but come on, when you consider all the rape and various sexual debauchery, some with decidedly underage girls, and it was written by some old guy with a santa beard.........he's not charmingly adorable, he's the old nasty dude who shows up at the strip club at 12:01 p.m. right after they open and just sits there making his $20 in $1's last until closing time.


i don't think anyone thinks of GRRM as an adorable old man. he's a sadist and a perv (at least towards his characters; IRL, you'd have to ask his wife i guess). but if he was a choirboy, the ASOIAF series would be boring as fuck.
also, for as much rape and torture and sexual debauchery as there is in these books, i suspect it's still less than there was in the actual middle ages. or a modern-day college campus.
Image
User avatar
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger
 
Posts: 18598
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 5:00 pm

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire

Postby Ribbons on Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:38 pm

To me this just shows how much a story can change on the way from idea to finished work, that even an old pro like Martin ends up with something completely different from what he first imagined.
User avatar
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG
 
Posts: 13583
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:00 am

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire

Postby TheBaxter on Tue Nov 01, 2016 1:24 pm

Image
User avatar
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger
 
Posts: 18598
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 5:00 pm

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire

Postby so sorry on Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:44 pm




For the love of the Seven please be true!

And I will be faced/forced to buy the hardbound edition since there's no way in hell I'll be able to wait until the paperback comes out. Which will then mean I need to go back and buy the first 5 in hardbound because there's no way in hell I can have just one like that...
User avatar
so sorry
Deacon Blues
 
Posts: 15228
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:29 am

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire

Postby Ribbons on Tue Nov 01, 2016 11:59 pm

Bah! I'll believe it when George R.R. Martin confirms it.
User avatar
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG
 
Posts: 13583
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:00 am

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire

Postby Al Shut on Wed Nov 02, 2016 2:47 pm

I'll believe it when I hold the book in my hand
Image
User avatar
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER
 
Posts: 6146
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 1:57 pm
Location: Oberhausen, Germany

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire

Postby TheBaxter on Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:35 pm

i'll believe it when GRRM is still alive to finish and release A Dream of Spring 10 years from now.
Image
User avatar
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger
 
Posts: 18598
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 5:00 pm

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire

Postby TheBaxter on Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:41 pm

Ribbons wrote:Bah! I'll believe it when George R.R. Martin confirms it.


GRRM says The Winds of Winter is coming out this year.....







.... or not
Image
User avatar
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger
 
Posts: 18598
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 5:00 pm

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire

Postby so sorry on Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:31 pm

TheBaxter wrote:
Ribbons wrote:Bah! I'll believe it when George R.R. Martin confirms it.


GRRM says The Winds of Winter is coming out this year.....







.... or not



The man who cried book


That's funny


I think it will be out this year. (But hey, I thought the same thing last year),” he responded.


That's not
User avatar
so sorry
Deacon Blues
 
Posts: 15228
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:29 am

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire

Postby Fievel on Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:44 pm

At this point I'd be fine with him withholding the release until after the HBO series ends. I'm not saying to stop writing! But if he were to finish writing the books, edited, and ready for publication and released annually once the show finished? I'd be fine with that. Now I'm a fan brought in by the show, so I have a fraction of the time invested that some do. The show will end next year (2018), if I recall correctly. I think there would be a touch more demand from more casual fans if they wait. Hell...create an advertisement blitz on tv/Internet. There's bound to be significant changes between book and series. Milk that shit!

Don't mind me. Just thinking aloud.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
User avatar
Fievel
Mouse Of The House
 
Posts: 11948
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:07 pm
Location: White Lake, MI

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire

Postby TheBaxter on Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:15 pm

Fievel wrote:At this point I'd be fine with him withholding the release until after the HBO series ends. I'm not saying to stop writing! But if he were to finish writing the books, edited, and ready for publication and released annually once the show finished? I'd be fine with that. Now I'm a fan brought in by the show, so I have a fraction of the time invested that some do. The show will end next year (2018), if I recall correctly. I think there would be a touch more demand from more casual fans if they wait. Hell...create an advertisement blitz on tv/Internet. There's bound to be significant changes between book and series. Milk that shit!

Don't mind me. Just thinking aloud.


me too. i've read all the books up to this point, but now with just 2 seasons left, and with the stories having diverged so far already, i'd rather just finish off the tv show, and then go back and start the books fresh from the beginning. that's what i'm planning to do anyway, though with this season coming out in the summer, and then the last season next summer, it's entirely possible the show will end before there's another book to read anyway.
Image
User avatar
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger
 
Posts: 18598
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 5:00 pm

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire

Postby Ribbons on Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:55 am

The next book's gotta be ready before the final season at least, right? I mean... right?
User avatar
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG
 
Posts: 13583
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:00 am

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire

Postby Wolfpack on Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:45 pm

You expect too much.
"Alright Shaggy - you and Scooby head over that way. The girls and I will go this way."
User avatar
Wolfpack
AIRWOLF
 
Posts: 2607
Joined: Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:48 am
Location: Asheville, NC

Previous

Return to AICN Books

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests