A Song of Ice and Fire

This forum caters to our literary tastes.

A Song of Ice and Fire

Postby Carolian on Sat Dec 10, 2005 11:18 am

I've seen several others mentioning these incredible books, so I thought it might be a good idea to start a new topic. I've read the first three books, and loooooooooove them, passionately even, but I've yet to pick up "A Feast for Crows". Still, I've got a lot of faith in Martin; it CAN'T be anything but brilliant... can it?

One thing's for sure: he isn't afraid to slaughter his main cast. The first three books are fucking BLOODBATHS.
Carolian
GRANDO CARLISSIAN

Postby thomasgaffney on Sat Dec 10, 2005 11:21 am

Carolian, I'm not familiar with these books. Can you give me a spoiler-free synopsis? I'm always looking for something new to read.
find me: twitter and goodreads
find my book: amazon and apple and barnes & noble
thomasgaffney
a might unpredictable

Postby Carolian on Sat Dec 10, 2005 11:28 am

Basically, they're Martin's retelling of the Wars of the Roses, when the York and Lancaster families fought for the throne of England, only set in a fantasy world. The continent is split up into various families all trying to gain the throne, including the family of the king's wife. What makes matters even more complicated is that the son of the old king, who basically had to flee for his life to another continent, is trying to gather a group of horse-warriors (think Mongols, not centaurs, heh) so he can take back his throne. AND, to the far, far north, there's a Wall made entirely of ice... and a whole lot of freaky, freaky things living beyond it.

I'm sorry if that's a bit jumbled, but I tried as hard as I could not to put in any spoilers, heh. These books are extremely violent, full of sex and cursing, but what really makes them brilliant (to me) is Martin's writing. He takes a vast, vast number of characters, writing chapters from each point of view, and even if he's set a character up as pure evil, you find yourself sympathizing with them once you read from their point of view. There aren't a whole lot of pure villains; just ambitious people seeking power at any cost.
Carolian
GRANDO CARLISSIAN

Postby thomasgaffney on Sat Dec 10, 2005 11:31 am

Sounds pretty cool. Thanks for the info (no, it didn't sound jumbled). I'll try to check them out (I'm just about done The Amber Spyglass) and let you know what I think.
thomasgaffney
a might unpredictable

Postby tfactor on Sat Dec 10, 2005 11:32 am

carolian you have to bare in mind when creating new threads people might not know immediately what your talking about, so by supplying links pictures and a spoiler free synopsis you create interest in the topic

This way not only the people who are firmiliar with the material can comment on it but the general public as well

Also whenever possible create a poll

btw your avatar is tits
tfactor
KING SMARMY

Postby Mimekiller on Sat Dec 10, 2005 5:07 pm

Im in the middle of the fourth book and while some may complain that martin does not put in some fan favorite POV. He does supply a healty amount of entertaining new ones.

Oh and for you not in the know, Martin does not write in chapters he seperates his books with Character names and each segment is the point of view of that character. If that makes any sense, Oh and Kudods to carolin for doing a infinite better job at descrbing the books than I ever could.
The Atom Bomb:Made in America, tested in Japan
Mimekiller
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby snapcase on Sat Dec 10, 2005 6:49 pm

Barring Robin Hobb George RR Martin is the finest fantasywriter working today. I'm in the middle of re-reading the first three books so I can read vol. four with a clear memory of characters and events. I can't but admire the way he intertwines narratives of different characters and how he can change the reades view of a character in a single chapter. When he suddenly wrote from the kingslayers POV it turnes my whole readingexperience upside down. I haven't rea FOC yet but I guess he'll do the same with the Cersei chapters.
snapcase
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby Ouranou on Mon Dec 19, 2005 5:41 am

Cersei's chapters really just show how incredibly stupid and self absorbed she is.
Ouranou
GLIB

Postby Neya on Mon Dec 19, 2005 8:50 am

I havent read these, but my friends that have drone on and on about how good they are. I need to check them out, but am trying to hold off until the series is closer to completion (waiting for two other series' to be completed is awful, dont wanna add a third to the list).

From what I understand, Martin's taking his sweet time writing these too.
~Tonight I go as a Nemesis bearing just and blazingly cataclysmic vengance.~

I bake a good pie too.
Neya
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby Carolian on Mon Dec 19, 2005 10:03 am

Oh, Lord, yes. It feels like the wait for the newest book was decades long. It really doesn't look like the end is in sight, either.

Honestly? You'd probably be better off just jumping in, because it could be another six or seven years (and that's being generous) before the series is finished.
Last edited by Carolian on Thu Dec 22, 2005 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Carolian
GRANDO CARLISSIAN

Postby geekfencer on Thu Dec 22, 2005 5:24 pm

Carolian wrote:

Oh, Lord, yes. It feels like the wait for the newest book was decades long. It really doesn't look like the end is in sight, either.

Honestly? You'd probably be better off just jumping in, because it could ber another six or seven years (and that's being generous) before the series is finished.

It definitely will be that long as Martin, on his "This is not a blog" blog page had stated before FOC was released that with the writing/splitting of FOC the number of volumes has increased to 7 from the original 4 he planned. So if figuring an average of 1 every 2 years...yep 6 or 7 years is about right. :?
geekfencer
GLIB

Postby brainiac on Wed Dec 28, 2005 3:06 pm

*I can't talk about this series without spoilers!*

We need a spoilers thread on this topic as I would like to debate points of interest in the books -- who done what to whom, where is s/he now and what will happen next?, who is redeemable and who has lost his soul, and will there be vengence for the Red Wedding! (I want to kill those bastards myself!)
Who watches the Watchmen?
brainiac
REAL DRAGON

Postby Neya on Thu Dec 29, 2005 8:40 am

I went against what I said above and began reading this series. Great stuff but good lord it's depressing. Very dark and ruthless, definately not the kind of fantasy-ish Im accustomed to, but a worthy read. I should have the first book clocked away sometime today (ahh God bless ebooks and slow work days).
~Tonight I go as a Nemesis bearing just and blazingly cataclysmic vengance.~

I bake a good pie too.
Neya
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby Carolian on Thu Dec 29, 2005 9:07 am

Yeah, I was pretty shocked when I picked up the first book. The tone is so vastly different from any other fantasy I've read, heh.

Honestly? It gets more depressing as it goes along. You're in for quite the ride.
The whole world's wild at heart and weird on top.

This is a snakeskin jacket. And for me it's a symbol of my individuality, and my belief... in personal freedom.
Carolian
GRANDO CARLISSIAN

Postby brainiac on Wed Jan 04, 2006 6:50 pm

Ok..I'm 200 pages in to FoC and I am enjoying it.

Martin writes a bunch of what I call "to and fro"...a character goes here then goes there then here again and over to another place... but, he does have everyone chatting a lot which I like.

Jamie, Cersie, and Brienne seems to be the big topics in this book.

And I need more maps! :shock:
brainiac
REAL DRAGON

Postby Ouranou on Wed Jan 04, 2006 7:52 pm

Yes. When everyone in the book goes to places not on the map it's time for a new map...
Ouranou
GLIB

Postby Carolian on Fri Jan 06, 2006 1:53 am

OK, I'm re-reading A CLASH OF KINGS now, and I had a question for those who have read/are reading the books. What character's POV do you enjoy the most? Whose chapters?

For me, it has to be Tyrion Lannister. I looooove the chapters from his POV. Frankly, he's a fascinating character altogether; a Lannister through and through, but with an undercurrent of nobility. Not to mention an awesome penchant for mockery and sarcasm.

Other than Tyrion, I'd say Jon Snow. His growth as a character through the books (the first three, anyway; I still haven't read the fourth) is so well-written and well-executed.

Martin really is a genius.
The whole world's wild at heart and weird on top.

This is a snakeskin jacket. And for me it's a symbol of my individuality, and my belief... in personal freedom.
Carolian
GRANDO CARLISSIAN

Postby brainiac on Sat Jan 07, 2006 12:47 am

My favorite character? I came to the series by reading the story in IASFM about Dany Stormborn so she is one of my favorites.

After her, I like the whole Stark family and especially Robb... yes, I even like Sansa!

And we do need a new map! Where is Duskendale? And CrackClaw? and the Green Blood? :x

Ask and ye shall receive a map:
http://www.westeros.org/Citadel/Graphics/im_map-westeros-color.jpg
brainiac
REAL DRAGON

Postby JackKnight on Sat Jan 07, 2006 1:37 am

One of my fave series as well. As for the first book, I agree that Tyrion's pov is the best. In later books I'd be split between Tyrion and Jaime. I think Carolian said it best when he said there were no villains, just people seeking power.

Ooh. Almost forgot. The chapters from the pov of the Onion Knight were excellent as well.

I must say tho, that I absolutely completely hated Catelyn and every chapter from her pov just made me grind my teeth at that bitch. ;-)

Still one of the greatest series going today.
Give me ambiguity or give me ... something else
JackKnight
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby dark wesley on Wed Jan 11, 2006 10:28 am

ive not read these yet, but this forum has piqued my interest, so i think ill check them out.
cheers!
i wish my middle name was tiberius.
dark wesley
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Carolian on Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:47 am

Oh shit! Screams of bliss!

A Song of Ice and Fire HBO series?!?!

That's worthy of a bump.
Carolian
GRANDO CARLISSIAN

Postby Peven on Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:35 am

Carolian wrote:Oh shit! Screams of bliss!

A Song of Ice and Fire HBO series?!?!

That's worthy of a bump.

that is a great way for epic sci-fi/fantasy to be handled. a network like HBO with no censor constraints and a desire to produce quality programming, and a full season to work with per book.

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Wolfpack on Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:59 pm

A good consolation prize considering there won't be a third season of Rome.
"Alright Shaggy - you and Scooby head over that way. The girls and I will go this way."
Wolfpack
AIRWOLF

Postby brainiac on Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:26 am

I gotta tell ya, this makes my day! I might even have to
subscribe to HBO which I haven't had for quite a few years.

And then there are the DVDs of each season. :D
brainiac
REAL DRAGON

Postby Wolfpack on Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:41 pm

"Lots of sex, violence, and political intrigue?" Viewers of Rome will feel right at home.
"Alright Shaggy - you and Scooby head over that way. The girls and I will go this way."
Wolfpack
AIRWOLF

Postby pomeroy on Tue Apr 24, 2007 2:24 pm

All 9 of them.
pomeroy
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Wolfpack on Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:23 pm

I'm reading A Game Of Thrones by George R. Martin - in anticipation of the HBO Series of "A Song of Ice and Fire".
Wolfpack
AIRWOLF

Postby The Todd on Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:33 am

Wolfpack wrote:I'm reading A Game Of Thrones by George R. Martin - in anticipation of the HBO Series of "A Song of Ice and Fire".

Awesome, awesome books. I'm dying for the fifth book to come out. I still think Game of Thrones is my favorite of the four so far.....
The Todd
AIRWOLF

Postby Lady Sheridan on Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:38 am

That reminds me, I need to pick those up...

I've been reading American Gods...H@arry Potter came along or I would have finished it, really digging it.
Lady Sheridan
RED

Postby Wolfpack on Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:19 pm

The Todd wrote:
Wolfpack wrote:I'm reading A Game Of Thrones by George R. Martin - in anticipation of the HBO Series of "A Song of Ice and Fire".

Awesome, awesome books. I'm dying for the fifth book to come out. I still think Game of Thrones is my favorite of the four so far.....

I was a George R. Martin virgin before I started reading. The way things are going, I may travel down to Borders to get the other three.
Wolfpack
AIRWOLF

Postby minstrel on Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:24 pm

Wolfpack wrote:I was a George R. Martin virgin before I started reading.

Um, wasn't everyone?

:wink:
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby stereosforgeeks on Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:28 pm

Wolfpack wrote:
The Todd wrote:

I was a George R. Martin virgin before I started reading. The way things are going, I may travel down to Borders to get the other three.

Do you think they will make a good TV show?
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby The Todd on Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:42 pm

Wolfpack wrote:
The Todd wrote:

I highly recommend them all. Once you get into them, you'll want to keep reading. The fifth book (A DANCE WITH DRAGONS) isn't going to be out for quite a while though. :sad: The characters are so rich and entertaining.

stereosforgeeks wrote:Do you think they will make a good TV show?

Hell yes. Assuming they are on cable (I believe HBO is going to make it) and they keep in all the blood and violence. Cursing and sex. And DRAGONS! Oh, and they better pay up for some good SFX.....
The Todd
AIRWOLF

Postby stereosforgeeks on Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:13 am

The Todd wrote:

Hell yes. Assuming they are on cable (I believe HBO is going to make it) and they keep in all the blood and violence. Cursing and sex. And DRAGONS! Oh, and they better pay up for some good SFX.....

Yeah it's HBO and hopefully they can do the story justice. I'll watch anything on HBO so I'll definitely be watching when it comes on.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Wolfpack on Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:52 pm

minstrel wrote:
Wolfpack wrote:I was a George R. Martin virgin before I started reading.

Um, wasn't everyone?

:wink:

Well, I meant before I started this session, I hadn't read anything written by George R. Martin, "Song Of Ice and Fire" or otherwise. It was a painless deflowering and not a drop of blood was on the sheets.

Oh yeah. There is a lot of depth for the writers to work with. This show will be just as epic as the books.

By the way, I thought there was a winky ban in effect.
Wolfpack
AIRWOLF

Postby Wolfpack on Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:28 pm

Now reading A Clash of Kings by George R. R. Martin - book 2 of A Song of Fire and Ice.
Wolfpack
AIRWOLF

Postby thomasgaffney on Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:40 am

Wolfpack wrote:Now reading A Clash of Kings by George R. R. Martin - book 2 of A Song of Fire and Ice.

Excellent series. I'm dying, waiting for #5 to come out. He's putting excerpts on his website, but there is still no release date in sight... :sad:
thomasgaffney
a might unpredictable

Postby Wolfpack on Thu Jan 17, 2008 12:26 pm

thomasgaffney wrote:
Wolfpack wrote:Now reading A Clash of Kings by George R. R. Martin - book 2 of A Song of Fire and Ice.

Excellent series. I'm dying, waiting for #5 to come out. He's putting excerpts on his website, but there is still no release date in sight... :sad:

He said he'd post an announcement as soon as he finished the final manuscript. Myself, I can wait. I still have books 3 and 4 to read before I get to #5.
Wolfpack
AIRWOLF

Postby thomasgaffney on Thu Jan 17, 2008 12:33 pm

Wolfpack wrote:
thomasgaffney wrote:

He said he'd post an announcement as soon as he finished the final manuscript. Myself, I can wait. I still have books 3 and 4 to read before I get to #5.

Book 4 is good, but a bit of a disappointment. When the publisher asked him to split the story into books 4 & 5, he decided to, instead of writing incomplete chapters for all the characters, write complete chapters for half the characters. So Daenerys, Jon Snow, and Tyrion are a few of the characters who don't make appearances in book 4.
thomasgaffney
a might unpredictable

Postby Wolfpack on Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:11 am

A Storm of Swords by George R.R. Martin. I loved the first two books of this series, and it seems the trend shall continue with number three.
Wolfpack
AIRWOLF

Postby Bob Samonkey on Thu May 22, 2008 9:22 pm

I am finally reading the Ice and Fire Trilogy...
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire

Postby Ribbons on Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:08 am

Carolian wrote:One thing's for sure: he isn't afraid to slaughter his main cast. The first three books are fucking BLOODBATHS.

You ain't kidding. BRAAAAAAAAAAAAAN!!!

So I just recently started A Game of Thrones, which is the first book in this series. I'm pretty close to the beginning, although I can't say where exactly (the chapters don't have numbers, just characters' names). Anyway it's most excellent. It probably helps that I don't know anything about the actual War of the Roses, but I'm excited to see where the story goes.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Ribbons on Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:07 pm

Just finished A Game of Thrones. Fantastic book. I was a little wary at first because I'm not really a big fan of fantasy novels (I think most of them are lame rip-offs of Tolkien), and the author's pen name -- "George RR Martin" -- did little to encourage me. But right from the beginning, the story totally won me over. Most of the drama is human, with complex characters, great dialogue, and a healthy dollop of sex and violence. I found myself actually getting frustrated with the douchetacular betrayals and political assassinations -- which I think is a good thing. Anyway I highly recommend this to anyone looking for a fantasy book to read, or a book in general, and I can't wait to start the next one.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby TonyWilson on Sat Oct 24, 2009 7:55 am

So I'm either going to buy the first book of this series or Dan Simmons' Hyperion, which would other Zoners recommend I go for first?
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby Ribbons on Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:47 am

This one! (Although I haven't read Hyperion)
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby TonyWilson on Sat Oct 24, 2009 10:36 am

Ha! Cheers Ribbons I went for A Game Of Thrones as this thread is pretty damn rapturous about it, but I was bothered by you saying you got frustrated with some of the politicking in the book, even though you said it was a good thing.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson

Postby TonyWilson on Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:12 pm

Literally just finished A Game of Thrones.

I cannot believe how great the book is, just astonishingly good and the final chapter with Danaerys in particular is breathtaking. Glad I got the second one to read straight away.
TonyWilson

Postby TonyWilson on Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:21 am

Ribbons wrote:I found myself actually getting frustrated with the douchetacular betrayals and political assassinations -- which I think is a good thing.

Indeed.

Joffrey you sadistic, spoiled, fucking brat! Eddard getting the chop was what did it for me, did anyone else think that when Arya didn't see it happen it was because there was going to be a twist coming later? Even when Bran had the dream I was still unbeliving, then Rickon jumps out of the tomb and, well yeh, holy crap. Martin is brilliant at juggling all the characters and letting the world unfold in a way that feels natural but still keeps you firmly on top of who everyone is and where everything is happening. I enjoyed this book far more than any of Tolkien's stuff, well when I was akid and read The Hobbit and LOTR I loved them but as an adult, reading them compared to Game Of Thrones they're far too long winded and Hippyish.
TonyWilson

Postby Ribbons on Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:34 pm

Yeah, for a split second I thought that maybe Martin was pulling the wool over our eyes with the execution, but then as the next chapter went on I slowly realized that Eddard wasn't coming back (besides as a head on a pike :shock: ).

And yeah, Danaerys scared the crap out of me by the end of the last chapter. It'll be interesting to see how both the warring kingdoms and the newly-resurgent supernatural creatures (the dragons, and the White Walkers beyond the Wall) end up clashing in later installments. I've heard several people say A Feast for Crows (the 4th novel in the series) is their favorite, but that's a long way off, and with all the upheaval that's already happened, it's hard to imagine what the landscape will look like by then.

Favorite characters, Tony? I'd have to say it's a toss-up between Arya and Tyrion for me.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby TonyWilson on Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:31 am

Yeah Arya and Tyrion are the best characters (Arya learning to be a water dancer and her discovery of the Dragon skeletons and the two men plotting treason is where the book started to get great, it's such a typical set of plot points in a way, but Martin does it deftly and makes it his own, though I also think Jon Snow/The Wall and Danaerys/The Khal/Dragons have the most gripping scenes.
Agreed on how crazy it gets and how the Kingdom is brought into chaos. I really don't know how it's all going to play out with so many competing and ruthless parties on the rise.

Unless you're already into reading something else I'd urge you to get "A Clash of Kings" quite soon as it plunges you in at the deep end and it's helpful to have a good memory for what exactly is going on.
TonyWilson

Next

Return to AICN Books