A Song of Ice and Fire

This forum caters to our literary tastes.

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire

Postby Wolfpack on Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:14 pm

so sorry wrote:
Wolfpack wrote:I wonder if this is the season where Tyrion kills Tywin and Shae as they lie together in bed. That's some hardcore Imping.

With only two episodes left, I have a feeling this ain't happening this year. More like a season 5, episode 1 or 2 shocker. And how can you forget, Tywin was killed on the shitter with his pants down!!!! Unless you were making an Imp/Pimp joke, in which case, carry on!

D'oh! Well, it's been a while since I read the book. I remember Tyrion killing both of them, and Tywin taking Shae for a test drive. But I guess it's hard out there for an Imp.
"Alright Shaggy - you and Scooby head over that way. The girls and I will go this way."
Wolfpack
AIRWOLF

Postby Fievel on Sat Jul 19, 2014 4:14 pm

Spoilers? (It is, for now, a fan theory....)

Ned Stark Confirms That One Big 'Game Of Thrones' Fan Theory

R+L=J
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby so sorry on Sat Jul 19, 2014 5:01 pm

Fievel wrote:Spoilers? (It is, for now, a fan theory....)

Ned Stark Confirms That One Big 'Game Of Thrones' Fan Theory

R+L=J

Great. Now Martin's going to throw out what he's got written out of spite and start over. Thanks asshole!
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Fievel on Sat Jul 19, 2014 10:03 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I've been worried he'll do it just to spite the theory itself since I first read it last fall.

So many of those fan theories (which many seem likely, rather than simply plausible) make me realize how much I take the stories at face value and don't value the details.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby so sorry on Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:49 pm

I've spent the past two weeks going back thru select chapters of 4 and 5 specifically to find out what I really missed the first two times i read them. Westeros.org is a great resource for filling in the gaps.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Fievel on Sun Jul 20, 2014 1:10 am

so sorry wrote:Westeros.org is a great resource for filling in the gaps.

Yeah, and the forums there are a headfuck and a half!! :lol:
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Al Shut on Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:17 am

I for one try to stay away from such sites

What I can't figure out myself (90% of what's going on?) shall take me by surprise.
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby so sorry on Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:26 am

Al Shut wrote:I for one try to stay away from such sites

What I can't figure out myself (90% of what's going on?) shall take me by surprise.

For me its less about "what I didn't figure out" and more "what I missed" that keeps me going back to that website (and re-reading certain chapters).
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby TheBaxter on Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:08 am

just started reading GoT. i'll be staying out of this thread though, until i get caught up with the books.
good reading so far. does make me wish i'd read the books first, that first season would've been a lot less confusing. now i want to go back and start rewatching the show too.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Al Shut on Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:46 pm

It's an endless circle of rewatch, reread repeat.
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby Wolfpack on Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:00 pm

Alexander Siddig cast as Doran Martell!

I wonder if he'll be as mind-blowing (if you'll pardon the pun) as Pedro Pascal.
"Alright Shaggy - you and Scooby head over that way. The girls and I will go this way."
Wolfpack
AIRWOLF

Postby so sorry on Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:20 pm

Wolfpack wrote:Alexander Siddig cast as Doran Martell!

I wonder if he'll be as mind-blowing (if you'll pardon the pun) as Pedro Pascal.

Not quite sure he looks like an OLDER brother, but easily overcome with some makeup if necessary. He won't be as good/popular as the Viper because his character is the polar opposite!
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Wolfpack on Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:14 pm

The Viper is certainly a hedonistic bad boy with a heart of gold.
Wolfpack
AIRWOLF

Postby TheBaxter on Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:48 pm

so sorry wrote:

Not quite sure he looks like an OLDER brother, but easily overcome with some makeup if necessary. He won't be as good/popular as the Viper because his character is the polar opposite!

you mean he DOESN'T give a 5-minute monologue to his opponent when he prematurely thinks he's won the battle?
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby so sorry on Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:17 pm

TheBaxter wrote:
so sorry wrote:

you mean he DOESN'T give a 5-minute monologue to his opponent when he prematurely thinks he's won the battle?

Hey, I thought you were staying out of this thread?!?!
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby TheBaxter on Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:36 am

i'm like Varys. i have eyes everywhere.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Al Shut on Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:51 am

TheBaxter wrote:i'm like Varys.

I always suspected that.
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby TheBaxter on Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:03 pm

Al Shut wrote:
TheBaxter wrote:i'm like Varys.

I always suspected that.

:oops:
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby SilentBobX on Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:26 pm

Who could survive in Westeros?

The world of Westeros, as created by George R R Martin, is a complex tapestry of treachery, ancient hatreds, petty evils, and conspiracies great and small. In this world, compassion is weakness, love is for the foolish, and hope is a light long extinguished. In this world, the strong survive, at least for a time.

This made me wonder. What characters from popular culture would be able to survive in this world? Who has the brains, cunning, and sheer force of will to adapt to such a landscape of hopeless brutality and suffering?

This is my list in no particular order:

1. Mad Martigan(Willow)

The relationship between Bronn and Tyrion reminded me of Mad and Willow's almost immediately, if set in an R rated world and the magical elements were of course lessened to a greater degree. He has skills no question, but does he have the full package to make it?

In his favor: Good sword skills, fearlessness, and athleticism make him a formidable foe to anyone.

However: He's a bit too good natured and a far too trusting. He'd most likely be easy prey for anyone with half the skills of Littlefinger or anyone who wanted his throat cut.

Where he'd fit in best: The Wall. He just seems to fit in here best as one of Jon Snow's men. He has a great attitude, but the monotony of the daily drudgery of life here would force him to hit the road before long.

Possibility of survival: 47%

2. Robin Hood(Errol Flynn version)

I chose this version simply because it's the only one worth it. No other incarnation of the character comes close.

In his favor: A natural born leader, archery skills that would make Ygritte weak in the knees, sword skills near to match, bravery and an infectious can-do spirit.

Not in his favor: Westeros demands a sharp eye, mind, and to remember that nobody is safe. Even a close friend could be made to kill you for the right reason or price. Robin is a bit too sure of himself at times and his caring for his fellow man could be his undoing.

Where he'd fit in: The Brotherhood Without Banners seems the likely spot. A traveling band used to fighting guerilla style against the Lannisters.

Possibility of survival: 60%

3. Red Sonja(Series 1, art by Frank Thorne)

Let's not dwell on the 'ahem' movie version as played by Brigitte Nielson. This version drawn by Frank Thorne to me is the real deal version of the She-Devil With A Sword.

In her favor: Furious fighting skills, tenacious survival instincts, and a will to see her enemies crushed before her is unmatched by many a male counterpart in the entirety of any sword and sorcerer universe.

Not in her favor: She's hot-headed, and has on more than one occasion, would up in irons in some slob's harem. In Westeros, once is roughly 99% of the time IT. No daring escape or helper will get your ass out.

Where she'd fit in: Leading Daenerys Targaryen's Unsullied. She's not a queen, and doesn't want to be one, but if she found the right cause, and the right people to fit in with, in this case the Breaker Of Chains would be a good match.

Chances of surviving: 78%

4. Deathstalker(Rick Hill)

This is from the first film. The only version that matters. The first and best of the Conan knock-offs.

In his favor: Strong of body and will.

Not in his favor: Not the sharpest tool in the shed, easily confused.

Where he'd fit in best: Probably carrying stuff for the Second Sons.

Chances of surviving: 38%

5. Sinbad(John Phillip Law from Golden Voyage of Sinbad)

As far as fantasy characters go, Sinbad often gets left out in the cold, so here's some love for him. I always liked this version best, as he's never overacted, and faces a great nemesis in Prince Koura(Tom Baker)

In his favor: Not intimidated by supernatural forces, leadership, cautious and wise. Excellent ship captain.

Not in his favor: Not physically imposing, and sword skills don't seem to be elite.

Where he'd fit in best: I'd have to say he'd be at home probably in Braavos, as a ship for hire, as a
buccaneer.

Chances of surviving: 68%

6. Beastmaster(Marc Singer)

A nice take on the barbarian character, with the ability to communicate with animals.

In his favor: Great physical presence, survival instincts, animal communication.

Not in his favor: Seems like he'd be a bit lost anywhere in Westeros, more of a pure survivor than a warrior.

Where he'd fit in best: I'd almost say with the Wildlings, but they're a bit out there and too nasty for him. Maybe with Bran on his trek, serving as a companion and bodyguard.

Chances of surviving: 76%

7. Thulsa Doom(James Earl Jones, Conan The Barbarian)

Time for a real bad guy. Conan's nemesis, leader of The Snake Cult, and all around bad guy
extraordinaire. Can he make it in Westeros?

In his favor: Hypnotic power, ability to turn into a snake, and can command them to do his bidding. A natural leader with great ambition.

Not in his favor: Untested arms skills(aside from the bow), and not good physique wise.

Where he'd fit in: I could see him taking pretty much any faction by use of guile and hypnotic suggestion. Perhaps even Melisandre and take Stannis' place.

Chances of surviving: 87%

8. The Kurgan(Clancy Brown, Highlander)

Another bad guy, this one probably more in keeping with the spirit of ruthlessness associated
with this world.

In his favor: Great sword skills, leadership qualities, can't die unless beheaded, basically, he's The Hound's equal or superior in some respects.

Not in his favor: Melodramatic at times, over-confident, could still get head chopped off if captured so not completely death-proof.

Where he'd fit in: He'd be an excellent sellsword, but the Wildlings is the more perfect fit. Overall, he's a solid leader and would inspire fear in them. If he led the charge on the wall, he'd have taken it.

Chances of surviving: 91%

9. Hundra(Laurene Landon)

Last lady on the list, but deserves a place here.

In her favor: Skilled all around, bow, sword, horse riding. Tenacious and ferocious, and a fighter for gender equity ala Asha Greyjoy.

Not in her favor: Not physically imposing, very good but not great at all skill sets.

Where she'd fit in: I'm going out on a limb and say The Dothraki. They love horses, strong women, and just might respect her.

Chances of surviving: 80%

10. Conan(Savage Sword Of Conan Version drawn by John Buscema)

Crom! You read right. Not going to go and put Ahnuld's version here because this to me is a much rougher, meaner, and less politically correct version of the greatest barbarian king of all time.

In his favor: Can kill without mercy using anything, endless stamina, brute strength to spare, brutal, unyielding, and shows a great deal more intelligence than any other version I've read. Weapon skills through the roof, and can overpower any opponent. Fear and intimidation factor is also high.

Not in his favor: As far as fitting in Westeros, I can't see much of any weakness that I can guess. He might not be a greatly skilled tactician, and the ruling class would immediately see him as a threat and put a bounty on him if he started beheading important people, but it would literally require an army to take him down.

Chances of surviving: 98%

Can't wait for the next season, definitely.

Honorable mentions: Yellowbeard, Yor, Hawk The Slayer, Kull The Conquerer, Mace from Lucio Fulci's Conquest.

Hope you enjoy. I'm not a super-fan of the show, nor do I retain an encyclopedic knowledge of it, just thought this might be a fun read.

Mahalo

Mahalo
SilentBobX
AIRWOLF

Postby Ribbons on Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:39 pm

That it was! Thanks Bob.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Fievel on Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:26 pm

Awesome stuff!
I thoroughly enjoyed reading that!
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby SilentBobX on Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:59 pm

Ribbons, Fievel, thanks. This was just an insane thought that was in my head for a while that I thought deserved to be put in the permanent record, as it were. One thing I had to remind myself in writing this was to not think of super-powered or immortal characters. That sort of thing is like putting a maxed out RPG character in a game at the start.

Mahalo

Mahalo
SilentBobX
AIRWOLF

Postby Al Shut on Sun Aug 03, 2014 6:08 am

If I may I'd like to add Kushana from the Nausicaä manga.

Sword fighting skills that include combat against next to unstoppable supernatural beings.

Can command an army and stays calm even when it's literally raining limbs on her.

Has experience in political intrigue and surviving assassination plots by family members.

She knows how to forge an alliance, how to seal it with a marriage and how to cancel the engagement with brute force.

Several characters from the manga would fit perfectly into Westeros but I would give her the best chances.
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby SilentBobX on Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:20 am

I wouldn't mind at all if anyone thought of something I omitted. I'm not a manga reader in the slightest. I did like Lone Wolf and Cub some but oddly never bought it. Or thought of anime characters. Tried to think of traditional western style sword and sorcery types who aren't omnipotent(ie, characters who can fly or have superhuman strength). The main thing I tried to keep on the list was the idea of mortality. If they can die by conventional means that is.

Mahalo

Mahalo
SilentBobX
AIRWOLF

Postby so sorry on Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:57 am

So I bought the book, The World of Ice and Fire written by GRR Martin and a few of his pals, which is basically a compendium of backstories and histories for many characters and events from the real novels. Also with some downright awesome illustrations. Its not a necessary book to own to enjoy the Song of Ice and Fire series, but if you're a GoT geek this is a pretty cool thing to have. And its written from the viewpoint of Westeros historians, which is also kinda neat. I've only paged thru it at this point, but the preface...well, check out the pic below, hopefully you can see what makes the preface so badass:

so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Ribbons on Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:48 am

That's awesome. I flipped through the book and hadn't noticed the smudged-out names.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Al Shut on Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:50 pm

May my envy strike down both of you right where you stand.
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby TheBaxter on Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:57 pm

i finally completed reading all 5 (existing) ASOIAF books. i am now ready to commence complaining about changes made for the tv show and gnashing my teeth over waiting for the next 2+ books.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby so sorry on Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:33 pm

TheBaxter wrote:i finally completed reading all 5 (existing) ASOIAF books. i am now ready to commence complaining about changes made for the tv show and gnashing my teeth over waiting for the next 2+ books.

Welcome to the club! Its tough to love a show so much, yet still find fault in its omissions and changes. But its still an awesome show. But I'd take the books over the show if I had to choose. But the show is what got me into the books! Etc etc etc.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby TheBaxter on Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:26 pm

so sorry wrote:
TheBaxter wrote:i finally completed reading all 5 (existing) ASOIAF books. i am now ready to commence complaining about changes made for the tv show and gnashing my teeth over waiting for the next 2+ books.

Welcome to the club! Its tough to love a show so much, yet still find fault in its omissions and changes. But its still an awesome show. But I'd take the books over the show if I had to choose. But the show is what got me into the books! Etc etc etc.

gotta admit i started reading the books 1) so that i wouldn't need to be afraid of accidentally coming across more spoilers (some people are real assholes) and 2) to figure out who half the people in the show are, and keep track of the ones i do know. i'm not a big fan of the fantasy genre but was pleasantly surprised at how well written the books were (though GRRM may be the one person in the world in more need of an editor than Stephen King). it is pretty frustrating though that 5 books in and Dany is still no closer to Westeros... although it does now seem like Westeros is coming to her.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Ribbons on Fri Jan 09, 2015 6:49 pm

The books are huge and arguably bloated; there are certainly times where you're reading them (Clash of Kings and Dance with Dragons especially for me) that you feel like a whole lot of nothing is happening. And I have no idea how this series is going to end, and can barely even see an endpoint on the horizon. But I still love the experience of reading them all. It's almost like it heightens my senses somehow; I can remember where I was while I was reading Game of Thrones when I think about the story; what college courses I was taking when I was reading Clash of Kings; even what kind of soda I was drinking at the time (Diet Coke cans). Or I'll see a GoT episode where Catelyn talks about the "Knights of Summer," and I'll be like "Oh yeah, I read that chapter while I was eating ice cream." It's strange. The world Martin creates is totally absorbing, but somehow grounds me to my world as well. I read a lot of books and stuff like that doesn't happen often. So I would be down for 7 more entries in the Song of Ice and Fire, if Martin had them in him. Of course the waiting is a bitch.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby so sorry on Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:40 pm

So at this point GRRM has released Winds of Winter chapters for:
Barristan Selmy
Tyrion
Mercy (Arya)
Theon
Arianne Martell
and now Sansa!

http://www.georgerrmartin.com/excerpt-f ... of-winter/
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby TheBaxter on Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:25 pm

i haven't read any of these exerpts and i don't want to. i want to just read the whole book at once, instead of taking chapters out of order/context.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby so sorry on Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:59 pm

I can't help it. I don't think reading the chapters he released is doing me any disservice, and quite likely by the time the fucking book comes out I will have forgotten what I've "pre-read" anyway.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Fievel on Wed Apr 08, 2015 4:33 pm

The Mercy chapter was awesome!
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby so sorry on Wed May 11, 2016 12:57 pm

Another Arianne Martell chapter from Winds of winter

So a Dorne chapter, being woven in the fAegon storyline. A good read, ends on some juicy info.

If the whole fAegon/connington plot is a red herring, so be it. I can understand when people get a little miffed over characters that "go nowhere" like Qynten Martell, but as long as the story is good, I'm all for it.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby TheBaxter on Wed May 11, 2016 2:00 pm

*yawn* i don't like to read my books piecemeal and out of order.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby so sorry on Wed May 11, 2016 2:27 pm

TheBaxter wrote:*yawn* i don't like to read my books piecemeal and out of order.

Out of order? OUT OF ORDER? YOU'RE OUT OF ORDER! THIS WHOLE DAMN ZONE IS OUT OF ORDER!
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Al Shut on Thu May 12, 2016 4:36 am

I call to order!

so sorry wrote:If the whole fAegon/connington plot is a red herring, so be it. I can understand when people get a little miffed over characters that "go nowhere" like Qynten Martell, but as long as the story is good, I'm all for it.

I actuall like that better than characters too obviously going somewhere because it's foretold (or at least me thinking they do)
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby TheBaxter on Thu May 12, 2016 10:16 am

it's less annoying if you don't know at the time you're reading the books, which storylines are going somewhere and which ones are dead ends. with the TV show passing the books storywise now, by the time we read these parts of the books, we'll know which parts are red herrings and that will make them more tedious.

since there's still no new book in sight, and with the tv show probably wrapping up in another couple seasons, certainly well before the final book comes out, i'm thinking of just waiting til the show's over and then starting over on the books from the beginning. there's too much deviation in the story now between the two and i can't keep straight who's done what in which version, so i'm just going to concentrate on the tv show for now until it's done. the drawback is that when i go back through the books, those dorne chapters and the aegon stuff will probably be even more boring and tedious than it was the first time around, and that's saying something.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby so sorry on Thu May 12, 2016 11:20 am

TheBaxter wrote:it's less annoying if you don't know at the time you're reading the books, which storylines are going somewhere and which ones are dead ends. with the TV show passing the books storywise now, by the time we read these parts of the books, we'll know which parts are red herrings and that will make them more tedious.

since there's still no new book in sight, and with the tv show probably wrapping up in another couple seasons, certainly well before the final book comes out, i'm thinking of just waiting til the show's over and then starting over on the books from the beginning. there's too much deviation in the story now between the two and i can't keep straight who's done what in which version, so i'm just going to concentrate on the tv show for now until it's done. the drawback is that when i go back through the books, those dorne chapters and the aegon stuff will probably be even more boring and tedious than it was the first time around, and that's saying something.

And there's the rub. Watching the show, knowing that it will spoil the remaining books. But what choice do you have? Its literally impossible to NOT watch the next two seasons.

I'm re-reading the series now (slowly). I'm halfway thru Storm of Swords, but I know when I get to Feast and Dance, I'll be skimming/skipping the Dorne stuff. Dorne will play a significant role in the upcoming books*, but I remember the gist of that story now, so no need to slow myself down with the re-read :wink:

*Dorne Significance based solely on the Winds of Winter pre-released chapters...there are two Arianne chapters already, and that last one I referenced above ties the Dorne story directly to the fAegon/Connington story, which was a significant story in Dance. Whether either of those plotlines amount to anything in the Grand Scheme of Things (book wise!) remains to be seen.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Al Shut on Thu May 12, 2016 11:26 am

so sorry wrote:And there's the rub. Watching the show, knowing that it will spoil the remaining books. But what choice do you have? Its literally impossible to NOT watch the next two seasons.

I'm quite confident I'll be able to manage.
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby Ribbons on Thu May 12, 2016 3:53 pm

so sorry wrote:And there's the rub. Watching the show, knowing that it will spoil the remaining books. But what choice do you have? Its literally impossible to NOT watch the next two seasons.

Speak for yourself, BITCHEZ!!
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Fievel on Thu May 12, 2016 5:20 pm

Ribbons wrote:

Speak for yourself, BITCHEZ!!

I was going to say that I thought someone was abstaining from the TV show.....

How's that going for you so far?
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Ribbons on Thu May 12, 2016 7:38 pm

Well I heard that Jon Snow came back, but I figured that one was pretty much unavoidable.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby so sorry on Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:21 pm

Aeron/Euron Greyjoy Chapter from Winds of Winter

A) this was read by GRRM himself at some Con in Baltimore ("BaltiCON) a few weeks ago. This has not made the official rounds (his own website or the awesome ASOFAI app), but I found the link above.

B) I know that at least Bax doesn't care to read these, but maybe one of you other guys do (I certainly did)

C) I don't think this is a spoiler statement since its my opinion, but I'll inviso-text just in case: this chapter deals with The Greyjoys, Euron and Aeron, andfuck me if it isn't magnificent. And this is coming from a someone who was bored to tears of most of the Greyjoy stuff.

D) This is spoilery, so definitely hiding it: certain parts of this chapter reveal some significant shit, so maybe the whole greyjoy chapters WILL amount to something of value in the overall outcome of the books (besides just getting Dany to Westeros). There's a particular object described in this chapter that could really be useful in the war against the Knight's King!
E) enjoy!
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Ribbons on Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:07 am

You don't like the Greyjoys? I like the Greyjoys! They're such a wacky dysfunctional family.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby so sorry on Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:49 am

Ribbons wrote:You don't like the Greyjoys? I like the Greyjoys! They're such a wacky dysfunctional family.

I guess it's there way of life that I don't like..."Reaving". They sail around westeros killing pillaging and raping. They define their culture based on this. There are powerful houses on the west coast (the redwynes, Lannisters) that I would think would want to end the Greyjoys/Ironborn once and for all. But I guess once they put down the rebellion, things quieted down.

Not my cup of tea.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Fievel on Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:07 pm

For me, the Greyjoys/Ironborn are just a half step more civilized than the Wildlings. They are such a mentally primitive culture compared to the main houses of Westeros with their lifestyle of reaving, raping, and murdering. The Iron Price...... fucking meatheads. It's my hope that Asha/Yara and Theon can bring change. Otherwise...... fuck 'em.

Just read the chapter....
Jon needs that suit.

The pieces that chapter set in motion (Euron vs Aeron, Victarion jumping ahead to meet Daenerys, etc.) seem different not only on the surface (names, places) but also in intention from what we've seen on the show. It'll be interesting to see if it's truly something different or just the same basic story with immense details.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby TheBaxter on Tue Jul 05, 2016 2:05 pm

GRR Martin's original outline and description (with possible spoilers!) for the entire 3-book ASOIAF series

the main spoiler is the 5 characters GRRM foresaw surviving the entire series and being the focus of the tale. they're all still alive, and with one possible exception, all seem to still be as central to the story as they were in his original vision.

more fun, however, are reading all the things that have since changed. for example:

- sansa and joffrey have a baby!
- no red wedding! robb dies in battle, and catelyn flees north with bran and arya.
- a love affair between jon and... arya? it's looking like jon+dany might happen in the actual series, or, if it's a stark sister, jon+sansa. sansa seems the most different from her original character, since this describes her as staying loyal to joffrey. and arya is never all on her own after the first book, like she ends up in the actual series, so the description of arya here actually resembles sansa more than how arya turned out. that's also why i think arya, as one of the main 5 characters, may actually now be arya + sansa, or even just sansa. so even though arya is originall described as surviving til the end, i think she may actually not make it anymore.
- jon's true parentage revealed in the last book! little did GRRM know that his ultimate twist would be spoiled by a TV show of the same name before he ever finished that last book of his.
- dany kills drogo! (on purpose, i mean)
- jaime ruthlessly kills everyone and ascends to the iron throne! looks like cersei has taken over that part of his character (no mention of cersei in the letter).
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

PreviousNext

Return to AICN Books