PLANET SIMPSON by Chris Turner

This forum caters to our literary tastes.

PLANET SIMPSON by Chris Turner

Postby Pops Freshenmeyer on Mon Dec 12, 2005 4:27 pm

Maybe I should've posted in the what are you reading thread but this book deserves its own messageboard, least of all it's own thread. It's that good, although I'm only 100 pages in. My only gripe is that the author infuses his own politics into the material but it's rare and not really that bad.

The book's gotten me to revisit many episodes via my Tivo.

http://tinyurl.com/c9fjm

I am not Chris Turner.
Pops Freshenmeyer
REAL DRAGON

Postby jgraphix on Mon Dec 12, 2005 4:31 pm

Wow, Just checked your link out and went to the bottom for user reviews and It does not fair well with the critical crowd.
"If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what happens if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?"
jgraphix
AIRWOLF

Postby Pops Freshenmeyer on Mon Dec 12, 2005 4:55 pm

jgraphix wrote:Wow, Just checked your link out and went to the bottom for user reviews and It does not fair well with the critical crowd.

Weird. That's a shame. Either that or I'm ALF. No, it's really a good read, especially if you're a fan of the show. I'll check out those reviews, but am thinking they shouldn't stop anyone from reading it.
Pops Freshenmeyer
REAL DRAGON

Postby jgraphix on Mon Dec 12, 2005 4:57 pm

Yeah...it sounds interesting and I would probably break out the box sets and start re watching them.

Would involve time I don't have.
"If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what happens if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?"
jgraphix
AIRWOLF

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Mon Dec 12, 2005 6:15 pm

Don't forget The D'Oh of Homer.

Does Nietzsche justify Bart's bad behavior? Is hypocrisy always unethical? What is Lisa's conception of the Good?...In exploring the thought of key philosophers including Aristotle, Marx, Camus, Sartre, Heidegger, and Kant through episode plots and the characters' antics, the contributors tackle issues like irony and the meaning of life, American anti-intellectualism, and existential rebellion.

Haven't had the time to read it yet, just wondering if anyone has...
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MonkeyM666 on Mon May 14, 2007 11:01 am

I hear that is was quite good. I wonder if it'll make a resurgence now that the series is ending and the movie is coming out?
MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Theta on Mon May 14, 2007 11:06 am

MonkeyM666 wrote:...now that the series is ending...

Vas? This is new. When did they announce that?
This comment is in no way meant to insist your opinion is wrong or be considered an edict, solely this poster's opinion. That said, you are still a fool and will kneel before me in supplication.
Theta
AIRWOLF

Postby MonkeyM666 on Mon May 14, 2007 11:07 am

I thought that the series ended this year, the same time that the new Futurama starts. Is that wrong?
MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby LaDracul on Mon May 14, 2007 11:08 am

Theta wrote:
MonkeyM666 wrote:...now that the series is ending...

Vas? This is new. When did they announce that?

No, it's not. It's still on the schedule. I think "King of the Hill" is FINALLY ending, though.
LaDracul
AIRWOLF

Postby MonkeyM666 on Mon May 14, 2007 11:15 am

hummmm....

Matt Groening Sees No End In Sight
POSTED Monday, September 11, 2006

As The Simpsons began its eighteenth season last night, fans will be glad to know that creator Matt Groening sees no end in sight for the show. "My attitude at this point is, as long as the people who work on the show are having a good time, let's keep doing it," he said. "We've always tried to entertain ourselves and figured that the outside world would be entertained if we were making ourselves laugh."

The key is to keep surprising the audience, which he acknowledged has become tougher because the show has "covered a lot of territory" through the years. "But there's a really good-natured spirit of competitiveness among the youngest writers on the staff who basically grew up watching the show and have a great memory for everything that's gone before."

I guess I was wrong.

I was sure that I heard that somewhere about 6 months ago.

I'm going to check further....
MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Dee E. Goppstober on Wed May 16, 2007 1:38 pm

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:Don't forget The D'Oh of Homer.

Does Nietzsche justify Bart's bad behavior? Is hypocrisy always unethical? What is Lisa's conception of the Good?...In exploring the thought of key philosophers including Aristotle, Marx, Camus, Sartre, Heidegger, and Kant through episode plots and the characters' antics, the contributors tackle issues like irony and the meaning of life, American anti-intellectualism, and existential rebellion.

Haven't had the time to read it yet, just wondering if anyone has...

It's a while ago -but I bought it quite a while ago, because it sounded great - philosophy and Simpsons humor combined.

I was really disappointed though - because it seemed to me that a lot of the book was trying to explain why the Simpsons is funny - and there's nothing less funny than that.

Wasn't too impressed with the philosophical foundation either.

I sold it on a jumble sale and never finished reading it.
Dee E. Goppstober
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Re: PLANET SIMPSON by Chris Turner

Postby Ribbons on Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:11 pm

There were several different threads I could have put this in, but who else is watching The Simpsons marathon!? It's glorious. I know it will start sucking about halfway through, but for now I'm reveling in classic Simpsons goodness.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby so sorry on Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:55 am

Ribbons wrote:There were several different threads I could have put this in, but who else is watching The Simpsons marathon!? It's glorious. I know it will start sucking about halfway through, but for now I'm reveling in classic Simpsons goodness.

Ive caught a few early episodes. It's pretty exciting and overwhelming.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Al Shut on Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:11 pm

I guess it all depends on how saturated with Simpsons reruns one already is.
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Return to AICN Books