HP Lovecraft

This forum caters to our literary tastes.

Postby Nachokoolaid on Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:26 pm

I'll be honest (where's that losing your geek cred thread?) and admit that my knowledge of the Call of Cthulhu consists of jamming out to the Metallica song of the same name, and that's about it.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby Kutulhu on Sat Aug 04, 2007 8:24 pm

Nachokoolaid wrote:I'll be honest (where's that losing your geek cred thread?) and admit that my knowledge of the Call of Cthulhu consists of jamming out to the Metallica song of the same name, and that's about it.

Well, here ya go, a LINK to the entire text of the story. Understand that it is not a linear plot. The opening line pretty much sums up Lovecraft's major theme.

"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far"

Note: Lovecraft is public domain, so this is legal
Kutulhu
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Kutulhu on Sat Aug 04, 2007 8:31 pm

Oh, have you seen the cover art for the upcoming release of From Beyond.

It is possibly the worst cover in the history of civilization.

Kutulhu
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Logan5 on Mon Aug 06, 2007 3:38 am

Kutulhu wrote:Oh, have you seen the cover art for the upcoming release of From Beyond.

It is possibly the worst cover in the history of civilization.

:shock:
Logan5
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Re: HP Lovecraft

Postby Hermanator X on Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:49 pm

Neil Gaiman Discusses H. P. Lovecraft

Quite a cool little chat about his thoughts on the author. I found this to wash out of my brain the awful awful trailer for the cthulu movie trailer which is getting a theatrical release in august. Do not seek it, it is beyond awful. Although Tori Spelling looks worse in it than anything HP could have dreamt up himself.
...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Re:

Postby Chairman Kaga on Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:11 pm

Kutulhu wrote:Since we are speaking of Lovecraft, I really wish Guillermo del Toro would use the internet freakout about 01-18-08 to his advantage and get funding for his At The Mountains of Madness script.

"Look, they WANT a movie about Cthulhu" (although Cthulhu isnt central, it is mentioned)

You know at first I used to be enthused with the prospect but after seeing two films of what he has done with Hellboy as an adaptaion I would rather never see At The Mountains of Madness on screen than see a GDT version.
Go fuck yourself.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Hermanator X on Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:16 pm

Yeah, when somethings called an unimaginable, or indescribable horror, its probably best left to the printed page rather than some cgi monstrosity that looks cool first time you see it. Filling in the blanks in your subconcious I think is the better option here, personally.
...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Postby papalazeru on Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:52 pm

Saw Reanimator last night as it was on TV.

Awesome
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby Chairman Kaga on Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:21 pm

I just threw up in my mouth a little. After finally reading the original story I can't stand to even think about Gordon's piece of tripe ever again.
Go fuck yourself.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby stereosforgeeks on Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:24 pm

Chairman Kaga wrote:I just threw up in my mouth a little. After finally reading the original story I can't stand to even think about Gordon's piece of tripe ever again.

Really? Thats actually one of my least favorite Lovecraft stories. Its too damn repetitive. I love the content, but i got a bit bored by the structure of it.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Chairman Kaga on Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:27 pm

stereosforgeeks wrote:
Chairman Kaga wrote:I just threw up in my mouth a little. After finally reading the original story I can't stand to even think about Gordon's piece of tripe ever again.

Really? Thats actually one of my least favorite Lovecraft stories. Its too damn repetitive. I love the content, but i got a bit bored by the structure of it.

I agree with that but of course reading it collected together makes it appear more awkward. All of the repetition was necessary to remind the monthly reader of Home Brew what was going on from installment to installment of the story. If he wrote it as a short story rather than a serial I don't think he would have done all those "I knew Herbert West from back in medical school...." bits.
Go fuck yourself.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby stereosforgeeks on Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:59 pm

Chairman Kaga wrote:
stereosforgeeks wrote:

I agree with that but of course reading it collected together makes it appear more awkward. All of the repetition was necessary to remind the monthly reader of Home Brew what was going on from installment to installment of the story. If he wrote it as a short story rather than a serial I don't think he would have done all those "I knew Herbert West from back in medical school...." bits.

Ohh I totally realize it was the nature of how the story was presented but it definitely hindered my enjoyment when reading it straight through.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

What Are You Reading?

Postby Raziel on Sun Sep 07, 2008 5:30 pm

The Call Of Cthulu And Other Weird Stories - H.P. Lovecraft.
Raziel
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

What Are You Reading?

Postby The Todd on Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:53 am

Raziel wrote:The Call Of Cthulu And Other Weird Stories - H.P. Lovecraft.

The Todd is currently reading this! (well, technically, I am currently reading The Call of Cthulhu and Other Weird Stories, but The Todd digresses)
i reject your reality and substitute my own
The Todd
AIRWOLF

Postby theunforgettablefire on Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:47 pm

been trying to get into lovecraft for a while now, but he's hard to find.

on a related note, dumb question and all, but does anyone have the correct pronunciation of "Cthulu"? (possibly spelled wrong.)

i've always pronounced it "Thulu" like saying "Sulu" but with a lisp. So sort of like how George Takei would pronounce it.
theunforgettablefire
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Ribbons on Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:59 pm

I personally pronounce it "Cha-too-loo" because it's fun to say (just like "Francisco"). That's almost definitely wrong, but yeah...
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby minstrel on Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:13 pm

The way it's spelled, I imagine it should sound something like a loud fart. But I've always pronounced it KTHOO-loo.
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby The Vicar on Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:50 pm

The Elder Races hang their heads ( and tentacles ) in shame......
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby TonyWilson on Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:55 pm

"Kt-hoo-loo"
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby The Vicar on Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:08 pm

TonyWilson wrote:"Kt-hoo-loo"

Bless you.
The Vicar

Postby minstrel on Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:14 pm

The Vicar wrote:

Bless you.

A rather inappropriate phrase for a Lovecraft thread, but so it goes ...
minstrel

Postby Nachokoolaid on Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:27 pm

minstrel wrote:The way it's spelled, I imagine it should sound something like a loud fart. But I've always pronounced it KTHOO-loo.

I pronounce the same. Ka-thoo-loo.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby Confused Pete on Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:40 pm

theunforgettablefire wrote:on a related note, dumb question and all, but does anyone have the correct pronunciation of "Cthulu"? (possibly spelled wrong.)

ak-te-puss
Confused Pete
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Chairman Kaga on Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:40 pm

The most used pronunciation, mostly endorsed by Chaosium games, is Ka-Thool-hoo or simply dropping the last H sound Ka-Thoo-Loo though Lovecraft never described it that way.

Wikipedia wrote:Lovecraft transcribed the pronunciation of Cthulhu as "Khlûl'-hloo" (IPA: /ˈkɬʊl.ɬuː/ ?).[2] S. T. Joshi points out, however, that Lovecraft gave several differing pronunciations on different occasions.[3] According to Lovecraft, this is merely the closest that the human vocal apparatus can come to reproducing the syllables of an alien language.[4] Long after Lovecraft's death, the pronunciation kə-THOO-loo (IPA: /kəˈθuːluː/) became common, and the game Call of Cthulhu endorsed it.

S.T. Joshi is essentially the foremost Lovecraft historian if anyone is curious. His annotated collections of Lovecraft's stories offer some fascinating information on the author.
Go fuck yourself.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TheBaxter on Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:58 pm

theunforgettablefire wrote:on a related note, dumb question and all, but does anyone have the correct pronunciation of "Cthulu"? (possibly spelled wrong.)

soo-SOO-dee-oh.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby The Vicar on Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:06 pm

minstrel wrote:
The Vicar wrote:

Bless you.

A rather inappropriate phrase for a Lovecraft thread, but so it goes ...

I loves me some irony, I do.....
The Vicar

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:13 pm

Wait, I thought we weren't supposed to say his name out loud.
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby minstrel on Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:03 pm

Tyrone_Shoelaces wrote:Wait, I thought we weren't supposed to say his name out loud.

Candyman Candyman Candyman ...
minstrel

Postby The Vicar on Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:05 pm

minstrel wrote:
Tyrone_Shoelaces wrote:Wait, I thought we weren't supposed to say his name out loud.

Candyman Candyman Candyman ...

Hey look - it's Sammy Davis Jr!!
The Vicar

Re:

Postby Nachokoolaid on Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:06 pm

Kutulhu wrote:
Nachokoolaid wrote:I'll be honest (where's that losing your geek cred thread?) and admit that my knowledge of the Call of Cthulhu consists of jamming out to the Metallica song of the same name, and that's about it.

Well, here ya go, a LINK to the entire text of the story. Understand that it is not a linear plot. The opening line pretty much sums up Lovecraft's major theme.

"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far"

Note: Lovecraft is public domain, so this is legal

Hmmm. Pretty damn good. I liked it overall.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby Chairman Kaga on Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:08 pm

That's H___________ the Unspeakable.
Go fuck yourself.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TheBaxter on Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:11 pm

Chairman Kaga wrote:

That's H___________ the Unspeakable.

Hillary?
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Chairman Kaga on Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:13 pm

The Queen in Yellow.
Go fuck yourself.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Ribbons on Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:20 pm

Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

What Are You Reading?

Postby minstrel on Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:37 pm

I found a big batch of H.P. Lovecraft stories to download to my new Kindle, so I've finally starting reading some Lovecraft. It turns out he's all adjectives. He thinks he can make ordinary things horrifying if he keeps telling you they're horrifying. This is how Lovecraft would caption a standard beach resort postcard:

"The hideous beachball bounced grotesquely across the ancient nameless sand towards the horrid children who were playing sickeningly with their repulsive pails and loathsome shovels ..."

It would be fun to do a global search and replace of "Cthulhu" with "Fred G. Soames" and "R'Lyeh" with "Akron, Ohio". And replace those ugly statues of Cthulhu with posters of Justin Bieber.
minstrel

Re: What Are You Reading?

Postby magicmonkey on Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:48 am

minstrel wrote:I found a big batch of H.P. Lovecraft stories to download to my new Kindle, so I've finally starting reading some Lovecraft. It turns out he's all adjectives. He thinks he can make ordinary things horrifying if he keeps telling you they're horrifying. This is how Lovecraft would caption a standard beach resort postcard:

"The hideous beachball bounced grotesquely across the ancient nameless sand towards the horrid children who were playing sickeningly with their repulsive pails and loathsome shovels ..."

Bwahahaha! Sounds like the summer holidays I remember... with Kirk.
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby TheBaxter on Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:30 am

somebody, please, get william shatner to do an audiobook of h.p. lovecraft's stories.
the result would be hideously, grotesquely..... [dramatic pause]...... delicious.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby magicmonkey on Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:33 am

TheBaxter wrote:somebody, please, get william shatner to do an audiobook of h.p. lovecraft's stories.
the result would be hideously, grotesquely..... [dramatic pause]...... delicious.

But, only if he did it in song with Alan Moore doing the comic. Think Jeff Waynes "War of The World's" with 110% more toupee.
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby minstrel on Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:08 pm

magicmonkey wrote:
TheBaxter wrote:somebody, please, get william shatner to do an audiobook of h.p. lovecraft's stories.

But, only if he did it in song with Alan Moore doing the comic. Think Jeff Waynes "War of The World's" with 110% more toupee.

"110% More Toupee" should be the title of Shatner's next album.
minstrel

Postby The Vicar on Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:08 pm

magicmonkey wrote:

Comedy gold there, as da Dino would have said if the %^$^$#& hadn't bailed on us..... :(
The Vicar

Under the influence of HP Lovecraft

Postby TheButcher on Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:42 am

Ian Tregillis in conversation with Charlie Stross on The Laundry Files

Anna Gregson wrote:This week sees the release of THE COLDEST WAR (UK | ANZ) , the second novel in Ian Tregillis’s landmark series, the Milkweed Triptych. The trilogy began with BITTER SEEDS (UK | ANZ) and concludes with the forthcoming NECESSARY EVIL (UK | ANZ).

These novels feature a secret history of Twentieth Century conflicts in which scientifically-enhanced superhumans and dark magic collide. The result is described by Fantasy Faction as ‘oh-so compelling, fascinating and frighteningly convincing’ and by Cory Doctorow as, ‘some of the best – and most exciting – alternate history I’ve read. Bravo.’

Ian:
One of the things I enjoy most about the Laundry books is the way they juxtapose spy drama, Lovecraftian horror, and the banality of office politics. They combine the profound and the mundane to great effect. Does it work because the narrowness of the corporate mindset can be laughable, or because matrix management is merely a different kind of unspeakable horror?

Charlie:
I’m not certain. However, I will note that both horror and humour are tints that we can apply to a narrative; the same plot structure and characters could in principle be written into a horror story or a farce, purely depending on how we colour the narrative.

Ian:
Fiction writers aren’t alone in thinking the occult makes an attractive dance partner for intelligence services. The CIA infamously speBitter Seeds - the first novel in the Milweed Triptych, a fantasy series featuring superhumand and dark magic, and earning comparisons with Charles Stross's Laundry Files novelsnt millions of dollars on its remote-viewing program, Project Stargate. It has also been alleged the Soviet navy attempted to investigate telepathy as a means of secure communications with submarines.

But the Laundry contends with extraordinarily dangerous powers, as do the intelligence operatives of the Milkweed books. How much stock would you put in the notion that a real-world three-letter agency *wouldn’t* jump at the chance to commune with ravenous extra-dimensional beings?

Charlie:
None whatsoever! Which is why at least one of the Laundry’s foreign counterparts, the Black Chamber, is pretty clearly run by the many-angled ones, and the Laundry itself is full of archives documenting highly questionable compromises. In fact, “the road to hell is paved with good intentions” could well serve as the overarching theme of the Laundry Files as a series (I have a long-term plot that is slowly unrolling) . . .

Back in 1997 when I began to explore this area, I started with a novelette titled “A Colder War”, which made it pretty explicit. ACW was set in the future of Lovecraft’s “At the Mountains of Madness” – a future in which Nazi Germany, the USSR, and the USA had all found their uses for the ancient alien technologies found by the Pabodie expedition to Antarctica. It all ends in tears (and a fate worse than global thermonuclear annihilation – the point of that story was to inject some horror back into Lovecraftiana by linking it implicitly to something truly horrifying, to anyone who grew up during the Cold War), but not before a Senator in a congressional hearing gets to utter the words, “Mister President, we cannot allow a Shoggoth Gap to emerge.”

Yes, if they got their hands on this stuff they’d use it. We have met the enemy, and we are doing our best to turn into them before they turn into us.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Fri May 19, 2017 8:39 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Previous

Return to AICN Books