HP Lovecraft

This forum caters to our literary tastes.

Postby Shane on Thu Dec 22, 2005 5:41 pm

I had an old copy of the Cthulhu RPG but I haven't seen that in years. It was an old box set like the ones they put out before the AD&D books, back when it was pamphlets and what not.
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby CthulhuKid on Thu Dec 22, 2005 6:17 pm

Shane Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 3:41 pm Post subject:

-------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------

I had an old copy of the Cthulhu RPG but I haven't seen that in years. It was an old box set like the ones they put out before the AD&D books, back when it was pamphlets and what not.

You could make a mint off those on ebay.

The reason I asked, I have found the most creative "Mythos" stories I[ve come across in the last couple years were created by players of that game.

used to play CoC long long ago. I had looked forward to Dark Corners of the Earth but the PC release is still on hold supposedly.

I picked it up for the Xbox last night. The first screen warns you that the game will mess with your televisions settings. I can't wait!
CthulhuKid
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby Logan5 on Thu Dec 22, 2005 6:51 pm

You should try Eternal Darkness for Gamecube. Heavily influenced by Lovecraft's work, and by far the best game about (or almost about) the Cthulhu Mythos.
Incredible game.
And the weird stuff (sanity effects) in Dark Corners of the Earth got copied from Eternal Darkness.

Haven't seen any really good Lovecraft inspired movies, the only ones that come to mind are In the Mouth of Madness (as mentioned above) and The Resurrected. I kinda enjoyed Dagon as well.

Isn't Del Toro doing an adaptation of "At the Mountains of Madness"?
Logan5
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby CthulhuKid on Thu Dec 22, 2005 6:54 pm

Isn't Del Toro doing an adaptation of "At the Mountains of Madness"?

It's been rumored (mostly by AICN) for years. I want it NOW!!!

The Geek in me enjoyed Dagon, while the film fan in me poked fun at him.
CthulhuKid
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby austenandrews on Mon Jan 09, 2006 6:09 pm

Dagon was Stuart Gordon, not del Toro.

I'd love to see del Toro have a crack at ATMOM. Oddly, though, I'd almost rather see him do it in Spanish. His Spanish-language films have a pace and lyricism that would more suit the material than his English-language Blade/Hellboy action stuff.
austenandrews
SUSAN CAGLE

Postby Chairman Kaga on Mon Jan 09, 2006 6:13 pm

I'm sure he could pull that style into an English language film...Perhaps he needs foreign financing though to avoid "blockbustering" the film.
I can't stand Stuart Gordon....His idea of a Lovecraft movie is chanting idiots, tits, and big rubber baddies. Blech....
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby austenandrews on Mon Jan 09, 2006 6:20 pm

That would be my concern, that an American studio's craving for a hit film would mess with the story.

As for Gordon, I loved Re-Animator and From Beyond for their comedic value. Dagon was a pile, though, save for a rare few scenes that were relatively faithful to "A Shadow Over Innsmouth."
austenandrews
SUSAN CAGLE

Postby Vegeta on Mon Jan 09, 2006 6:55 pm

I have a very old copy of D&D Fiend Folio that has an entire section on Cthulhu. I believe that TSR even got sued by Lovecraft's family, because later prints of it don't have the Cthulhu mythos in it. Betcha that's worth a pretty penny...

Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby Vegeta on Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:15 pm

Vegeta wrote:I have a very old copy of D&D Fiend Folio that has an entire section on Cthulhu. I believe that TSR even got sued by Lovecraft's family, because later prints of it don't have the Cthulhu mythos in it. Betcha that's worth a pretty penny...

Oops, I checked last night and it's mot the "Fiend Folio"... it's the "AD&D Deities and Demigods" printed in 1980.
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby CthulhuKid on Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:26 pm

Yeah, they lost the rights to Chaosium. Better game too. D&D still uses A LOT of Lovecraftian stuff. Just look at the Mind Flayers.

Dagon was Stuart Gordon, not del Toro.

Yes, I know that. The "him" I was laughing at was the "geek in me."
CthulhuKid
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby austenandrews on Tue Jan 10, 2006 2:13 pm

CthulhuKid wrote:Yes, I know that. The "him" I was laughing at was the "geek in me."

D'oh. Sorry.
austenandrews
SUSAN CAGLE

Postby Vegeta on Wed May 17, 2006 5:59 pm

I found this on a link off of wikipedia.com. Tales of the Plush Cthulhu! Rather amusing. :)
http://www.logicalcreativity.com/jon/plush/01.html
PLUSH CTHULHU WILL PWN YOU!
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby buster00 on Sat May 27, 2006 10:44 pm

Stumbled across this. Thought I'd share.

"My route must have been far from straight, for it seemed hours before I was free of the mirage-plant's pervasive influence... When I did get wholly clear I looked at my watch and was astonished to find that the time was only 4:20."

-- from H. P. Lovecraft's "Within The Walls of Eryx"

:o -- Whoooa....duuude!
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Squashua on Fri Sep 22, 2006 4:51 pm

A friend of mine picked up Mother Hydra's Mythos Rhymes at the local comic shoppe.

It's nicely done, though the cover is a bit shiny and some of the poems are lame, the artwork is fantastic.
Squashua
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby The Vicar on Fri Sep 22, 2006 4:53 pm

A plush Cthulhu????
Hot freaking damn.

Gimme my checkbook....
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby raasnio on Fri Sep 22, 2006 6:55 pm

The Vicar wrote:A plush Cthulhu????
Hot freaking damn.

Gimme my checkbook....

A cute Cthulhu. I thought about picking one up, but the last time I had some money set aside I paid for a Cthulhu tattoo (based on a sculpture by H. A. McNeill). :P

Del Toro needs to make ATMoM. I just know he can deliver the goods.
raasnio
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby RenoNevada2000 on Sun Dec 03, 2006 8:36 pm

Read most of his stuff back in High School, albeit Catholic high school. Oddly enough, that was one of the few things I was reading that I didn't catch hell for. Doc Savage reprints yes, Lovecraft no...

Could never make my way through "Dreamquest of Unknown Kadath" though... almost as dense as "The Silmarillion" and equally dry as a narrative.
RenoNevada2000
GLIB

Postby Anti-Christ on Thu Mar 29, 2007 1:15 am

"Shadow Out of Time" is my fave Lovecraft story of all time. It's perhaps the most unique use of time travel ever put to print.
Image Creating worlds
Anti-Christ
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Hermanator X on Mon Jun 11, 2007 5:38 pm

There are a few of Lovecrafts books on audiobook format here. http://greylodge.org/gpc/index.php?s=lovecraft

call of cthullu makes for nice bed time listening.....
...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Postby TonyWilson on Mon Jun 11, 2007 6:08 pm

Hermanator X wrote:There are a few of Lovecrafts books on audiobook format here. http://greylodge.org/gpc/index.php?s=lovecraft

Oh man that's awesome. Anyone read The China Town Death Cloud Peril? It fetures a brilliant fictitious cameo from Lovecraft, very much in the style of his writing. The book is more traditional pulp but the Lovecraft bits are great.

There was of his stories that I love but can't remember the name of. It has a bit with a guy being rescued from slug like animlas by giant cats. And him scaling the walls of a mountain to look at the face of a god. Can anyone help?
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby Chairman Kaga on Mon Jun 11, 2007 6:13 pm

TonyWilson wrote:
Hermanator X wrote:There are a few of Lovecrafts books on audiobook format here. http://greylodge.org/gpc/index.php?s=lovecraft

Oh man that's awesome. Anyone read The China Town Death Cloud Peril? It fetures a brilliant fictitious cameo from Lovecraft, very much in the style of his writing. The book is more traditional pulp but the Lovecraft bits are great.

There was of his stories that I love but can't remember the name of. It has a bit with a guy being rescued from slug like animlas by giant cats. And him scaling the walls of a mountain to look at the face of a god. Can anyone help?

Dream-Quest of Unknown Kadath. The face is carven into the side of the mountain.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TonyWilson on Mon Jun 11, 2007 6:16 pm

Excellent, CK, thanks very much. I love Herbert West:Reanimator and Call Of Cthulu most of all but Dream Quest is so amazingly trippy and it's got such fucking amazing dream logic it's breathtaking.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson

Postby Chairman Kaga on Mon Jun 11, 2007 7:27 pm

Since the last time this post was bumped I obtained the Lovecraft Historical Society's DVD of Call of Cthulhu. It is awesome. I recommend it to any Lovecraft fan.
http://www.cthulhulives.org/toc.html
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

HP Lovecraft

Postby bastard_robo on Fri Jun 22, 2007 5:27 am

Really got into Lovecraft in High School.

I actually prefer his HERBERT WEST: REANIMATOR to the movie..

The detail that he puts in some of his stories to add to the "CREEPY LEVEL" is awesome!

Never read Call of Cathulu though.. nor finished Mountains of Maddness.. should do that one day.
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Re: HP Lovecraft

Postby Chairman Kaga on Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:44 am

bastard_robo wrote:Never read Call of Cthulhu though.. nor finished Mountains of Maddness.. should do that one day.

You should. Today should be that day. Go now, run to the nearest bookstore or library and finish those stories.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fawst on Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:50 pm

In The Mouth of Madness is such a delightfully trippy mindfuck of a film. I saw it in the theater with five friends. Not one of them enjoyed it. They all hated it. I absolutely loved it. That woman on the bike scared the SHIT out of me.

Now I need to buy it and watch it tonight.

I played a bit of Dark Corners of the Earth, and my fiancee and I both agreed I needed to stop because it was freaking us out so bad. That and it gets to be hard as hell after a while. VERY fun game, but they needed a little more polish on it.

And I didn't notice this elsewhere in the thread, but Mayimbe over at Latino Review posted his review of del Toro's Mountains of Madness script. He gave it an A+, so... hurry the fuck up, Guillermo!
Prince of the Land of Stench!
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Chairman Kaga on Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:57 pm

Fawst wrote:And I didn't notice this elsewhere in the thread, but Mayimbe over at Latino Review posted his review of del Toro's Mountains of Madness script. He gave it an A+, so... hurry the fuck up, Guillermo!

No don't hurry Guy, I want to work on this....give me a few years in the industry once I'm out of school.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby unikrunk on Fri Jun 22, 2007 1:16 pm

Not common knowledge - Lovecraft lived much longer than reported, and took up the nom de plume 'Erma Bombeck', under which he penned some very unfunny books.

True Story.
He can't' love you back...
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TonyWilson on Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:08 pm

Mouth Of Madness is the John Carpenter/Sam Neil film right? The end with him in the cinema watching himself in the cinema watching himself in the cinema, going on and on forever was fucking brilliant.
TonyWilson

HP Lovecraft

Postby bastard_robo on Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:14 pm

TonyWilson wrote:Mouth Of Madness is the John Carpenter/Sam Neil film right? The end with him in the cinema watching himself in the cinema watching himself in the cinema, going on and on forever was fucking brilliant.

Correct! No lovecrafter here!
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby Chairman Kaga on Fri Jun 22, 2007 4:27 pm

bastard_robo wrote:
TonyWilson wrote:Mouth Of Madness is the John Carpenter/Sam Neil film right? The end with him in the cinema watching himself in the cinema watching himself in the cinema, going on and on forever was fucking brilliant.

That's not entirely accurate. While that movie is in no way based on a Lovecraft story it's obvious that Sutter Cane is based loosely on Lovecraft plus a number of references to his stories are made in the names of places and characters in the film. While it's not a "Lovecraft" film in the strictest sense it comes much closer to the vibe of Lovecraft's weird fiction that supposed adaptations like Re-Animator or Dreams in the Witch House (burn in Hell Stuart Gordon!!)
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby unikrunk on Fri Jun 22, 2007 4:57 pm

Chairman Kaga wrote:
bastard_robo wrote:

That's not entirely accurate. While that movie is in no way based on a Lovecraft story it's obvious that Sutter Cane is based loosely on Lovecraft plus a number of references to his stories are made in the names of places and characters in the film. While it's not a "Lovecraft" film in the strictest sense it comes much closer to the vibe of Lovecraft's weird fiction that supposed adaptations like Re-Animator or Dreams in the Witch House (burn in Hell Stuart Gordon!!)

I, ah, always thought they were making allusions to Stephen King. Sutter Cain. Stephen King.

Agreed that it certainly has direct references to Lovecraft lore; the sleeping old gods, the idea that reality is not in any way how we perceive it, and of course, the horror that our minds cannot even process.
He can't' love you back...
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TheBaxter on Fri Jun 22, 2007 5:01 pm

unikrunk wrote:
Chairman Kaga wrote:
bastard_robo wrote:

I, ah, always thought they were making allusions to Stephen King. Sutter Cain. Stephen King.

Agreed that it certainly has direct references to Lovecraft lore; the sleeping old gods, the idea that reality is not in any way how we perceive it, and of course, the horror that our minds cannot even process.

silly me, i always thought the character was based on Susan Cagle.

Sutter Cain.
Susan Cagle.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

What Are You Reading?

Postby The Todd on Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:43 pm

The Todd is getting caught up on something that I should have read a long time ago. Namely, H.P. Lovecraft. I just started Waking Up Screaming - Haunting Tales of Terror. 16 of his stories. Highlights in this book include Cool Air, Herbert West's Reanimator, The Shadow Over Innsmouth, The Lurking Fear, and Dagon. Once I'm done this, I need to get my hands on The Call of the Chuthulu...
i reject your reality and substitute my own
The Todd
AIRWOLF

Postby Kutulhu on Fri Aug 03, 2007 7:20 pm

Chairman Kaga wrote: While that movie is in no way based on a Lovecraft story it's obvious that Sutter Cane is based loosely on Lovecraft

In what respect do you see Sutter Cane as Lovecraft. Lovecraft was a racist, xenophobic Anglophile who liked cats and hated the cold. Or, do you mean, that Cane is a literal translation of Lovecraft if what Lovecraft wrote was true...
Kutulhu
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Adam Balm on Fri Aug 03, 2007 7:24 pm

Kutulhu wrote:
Chairman Kaga wrote: While that movie is in no way based on a Lovecraft story it's obvious that Sutter Cane is based loosely on Lovecraft

In what respect do you see Sutter Cane as Lovecraft. Lovecraft was a racist, xenophobic Anglophile who liked cats and hated the cold.

And a misogynistic anti-rationalist. Yet we can't help loving the guy...
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Kutulhu on Fri Aug 03, 2007 7:41 pm

Adam Balm wrote:
Kutulhu wrote:

In what respect do you see Sutter Cane as Lovecraft. Lovecraft was a racist, xenophobic Anglophile who liked cats and hated the cold.

And a misogynistic anti-rationalist. Yet we can't help loving the guy...

Well, I wouldn't say he was misogynistic. I have read several volumes of his letters and I cant recall any "woman hating", although racism is very prevalent.
Kutulhu
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Adam Balm on Fri Aug 03, 2007 7:56 pm

Well it's less apparent than his racism, you're right. He doesn't outright rail with disgust about women, as he does of darker skinned people and immigrants in Horror at Red Hook for instance. But I still think it's there, especially in something like Thing on the Doorstep (where someone wants to be a man in order to feel entirely human.). But overall is he anymore misogynist than the rest of the Weird Tales crowd? Is he more misogynist than Robert E. Howard? I dunno, maybe not.
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Kutulhu on Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:05 pm

Adam Balm wrote:Well it's less apparent than his racism, you're right. He doesn't outright rail with disgust about women, as he does of darker skinned people and immigrants in Horror at Red Hook for instance. But I still think it's there, especially in something like Thing on the Doorstep (where someone wants to be a man in order to feel entirely human.). But overall is he anymore misogynist than the rest of the Weird Tales crowd? Is he more misogynist than Robert E. Howard? I dunno, maybe not.

Yeah, it was a macho time, indeed. As to your example of Thing on the Doorstep. She wanted to be a man, I think, because she was originally a man. Ephraim Waite entered the body of his daughter, and later sought a man. Could be misogyny or maybe he just liked being a man.
Kutulhu
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

HP Lovecraft

Postby bastard_robo on Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:09 pm

Lets all look at the real crime here, the man hated ESKIMOS!
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby Adam Balm on Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:12 pm

I think Eskimos are smug...
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:15 pm

Adam Balm wrote:I think Eskimos are smug...

'LASH!

edit: hey, 8000 posts. The fact that my 8000th post was not even a full word is pretty appropriate.
Last edited by Lord Voldemoo on Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby Chairman Kaga on Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:15 pm

bastard_robo wrote:Lets all look at the real crime here, the man hated ESKIMOS!

I think you mean Eskimaus.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby bastard_robo on Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:17 pm

Chairman Kaga wrote:
bastard_robo wrote:Lets all look at the real crime here, the man hated ESKIMOS!

I think you mean Eskimaus.

Damn Blubber eaters!
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby Kutulhu on Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:36 pm

Since we are speaking of Lovecraft, I really wish Guillermo del Toro would use the internet freakout about 01-18-08 to his advantage and get funding for his At The Mountains of Madness script.

"Look, they WANT a movie about Cthulhu" (although Cthulhu isnt central, it is mentioned)
Kutulhu
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Adam Balm on Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:37 pm

Good call.
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

HP Lovecraft

Postby bastard_robo on Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:38 pm

Kutulhu wrote:Since we are speaking of Lovecraft, I really wish Guillermo del Toro would use the internet freakout about 01-18-08 to his advantage and get funding for his At The Mountains of Madness script.

"Look, they WANT a movie about Cthulhu" (although Cthulhu isnt central, it is mentioned)

I'll be more pleased than a pig in shit if 1-18-08 restarts the GIANT monster movie craze! Give me a cthulhu movie, give me a new godzilla movie, just give me Giant Monsters fuckers!
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby Chairman Kaga on Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:48 pm

A Cthulhu movie should not be a giant monster movie but I appreciate your enthusiasm.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Kutulhu on Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:49 pm

Chairman Kaga wrote:A Cthulhu movie should not be a giant monster movie but I appreciate your enthusiasm.

This man speaks truth.
Kutulhu
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

HP Lovecraft

Postby bastard_robo on Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:58 pm

Chairman Kaga wrote:A Cthulhu movie should not be a giant monster movie but I appreciate your enthusiasm.

Not in the sense of say.. a godzilla movie, but more like a KONG movie.
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

PreviousNext

Return to AICN Books