March 06 BotM Thread - 1984

This forum caters to our literary tastes.

March Book of the Month Poll

Poll ended at Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:26 pm

CELL by Stephen King
28%
A PRINCESS OF MARS by Edgar Rice Burroughs
20%
1984 by George Orwell
32%
Nope, not happening for me, babe.
8%
The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy
12%

Total votes : 25

Postby Maui on Sun Sep 09, 2007 9:38 pm

Ribbons wrote:
Maui wrote:Well, I dunno - I have this bookshelf full of books to be read. I'm leaning towards 1984 (the book that is). ;)

Yes, do eeet! I'm reading that right now too

The copy I have, Pynchon does the foreword! :)

Ok, will do!!!
Maui
WoWie

Postby Ribbons on Sat Sep 15, 2007 11:01 pm

Well, I just got finished reading 1984. Sucked! HAHAHA! Seriously though, it was awesome. There's not much I can add to this equally awesome thread that hasn't already been stated more thoughtfully or eloquently above, but I just wanted to say that.

I think that a few of the facets of the world Orwell created are specific to the governments he was primarily critiquing (hence the total absence of religion or sex; the veiled references to Stalin and Trotsky); but the spirit of political dogmatism is dead-on.

Brave New World is another one I've managed to avoid reading somehow, but all the comparison between the two novels makes me want to pick that one up too.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Maui on Sun Sep 16, 2007 2:02 pm

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:has anyone read Pynchon's introduction to the book, which I believe is available from the latest printing, the new Orwell centenial edition?...good stuff.

Yup, very good stuff indeed. I read it before starting 1984, of course! ;)
Maui
WoWie

Postby papalazeru on Sun Sep 16, 2007 5:33 pm

I gre up on 1984, Brasil and 'The prisoner'...need I say more. They are all awesome works of art.

Stop looking at me now.....I said, STOP LOOKING AT MEEEEEE.
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Re: March 06 BotM Thread - 1984

Postby Ribbons on Sun Nov 30, 2008 10:57 pm

Just finished reading Brave New World. I think I preferred 1984 because it felt more epic, to me, and I also think Huxley started to meander near the end, but they're both great reads.

And since equivocation is in, I'll echo the sentiments of kcbc and a few others who say that it's hard to choose which one is more relevant because elements of both can be seen in our society. I think neither one is particularly realistic, but they work on an allegorical level, so the fact that their worlds will probably never be realized doesn't bother me that much since the exaggerated scenarios throw certain human behaviors that do exist into sharper relief. What was interesting to me about Brave New World (well, about both actually) is that people want to be oppressed because it makes them feel secure... relative to freedom, anyway. Like when one of the main characters falls in love with the "savage" in Brave New World, she doesn't become sad because she stops taking her soma, she stops taking her soma because she's sad. They're not prisoners of society as much as they are prisoners of their lack of will to escape it, and anyone who does goes completely insane and starts flagellating themselves.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Re: March 06 BotM Thread - 1984

Postby Ribbons on Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:09 pm

I would also recommend Primo Levi's The Drowned and the Saved as a companion piece to novels like 1984 and Brave New World; a lot of theories about oppression and resistance that correlate pretty strongly with the themes of both novels. Plus it's a good read.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Previous

Return to AICN Books