Book Recommendations for All/Fellow Zoners

This forum caters to our literary tastes.

Postby Ribbons on Tue Jan 30, 2007 8:51 pm

I'm going to start another Book of the Month thread tomorrow, so I don't know if you wanna participate in that or whatever, but maybe (hopefully) there'll be something in there that piques your interest.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby godzillasushi on Mon Feb 05, 2007 3:46 pm

Can anyone tell me if the Clive Cussler books with Dirk Pitt are any good?
ImageImage
godzillasushi
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Anti-Christ on Thu Mar 29, 2007 12:58 am

You guys should give my book, Anti-Christ: A Satirical End of Days a read. Anyone interested can go to my site, http://www.anti-christ.biz for book info.
Image Creating worlds
Anti-Christ
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby vicious_bastard on Thu Mar 29, 2007 1:58 am

Wild Highway by Bill Drummond (Ex-KLF) and Mark Manning (Zodiac Mindwarp). Or indeed anything by Drummond who is a brilliant writer.
vicious_bastard
AIRWOLF

Postby magicmonkey on Thu Mar 29, 2007 3:24 am

vicious_bastard wrote:Wild Highway by Bill Drummond (Ex-KLF) and Mark Manning (Zodiac Mindwarp). Or indeed anything by Drummond who is a brilliant writer.

Nice, I've read "45" and "Bad Wisdom", will have to seek this out when I'm back visiting blighty. Great writer.
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby vicious_bastard on Thu Mar 29, 2007 6:59 am

Not read Bad Wisdom myself yet - been trying to track it down in Oz to no avail. I have a signed copy of 45 - a nice surprise and a good reason to order stuff through a local bookstore instead of an impersonal behemoth like Amazon. Worth the wait.
vicious_bastard
AIRWOLF

Postby Seppuku on Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:18 am

V.B. you've got to give Billy Drummond Said by Julian Cope a listen. I fucking love that song. Technically it does slam him a bit, but then he wrote a song called "Julian Cope is Dead" in riposte, so I think it all worked out fine.

Both wicked songs. If only more rappers could feud so creatively, we'd have a few more classic hip hop albums.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Mon Apr 02, 2007 6:44 pm

papalazeru wrote:Good Omens by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett.

Just bought this, I'm starting it as soon as I finish my latest WWII text book (yeah...seriously...I'm that much of a geek).

Next will be World War Z.
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby Bob Samonkey on Mon Apr 02, 2007 6:55 pm

Lord Voldemoo wrote:
papalazeru wrote:Good Omens by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett.

Just bought this, I'm starting it as soon as I finish my latest WWII text book (yeah...seriously...I'm that much of a geek).

Next will be World War Z.

It is really good. You will enjoy it...
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby Adam Balm on Mon Apr 02, 2007 6:56 pm

Is it just World War II textbooks that you read, Moo? Any other kind?

</feeble attempt to keep the book forum in the top 15 as long as possible>
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Bob Samonkey on Mon Apr 02, 2007 6:58 pm

Adam Balm wrote:Is it just World War II textbooks that you read, Moo? Any other kind?

I like books!
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby Adam Balm on Mon Apr 02, 2007 7:00 pm

Bob Poopflingius Maximus wrote:
Adam Balm wrote:Is it just World War II textbooks that you read, Moo? Any other kind?

I like books!

Really, what kind of books?
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Mon Apr 02, 2007 7:03 pm

Why, I'm glad you asked!

I've re-read a few Poly-Sci treatises and texts that were assigned back in college, but for the most part it's history texts, largely military history. World War I, World War II, the American Civil War, etc.

This is going to sound horrible, but a lot of the time when I read a non-fiction work dealing with war I become bored with all the personal stories (Band of Brothers is a major exception). I'm more interested in reading about the battles themselves from a tactical or strategic standpoint. Troop movements and engagements dealing with Divisions, Armies and Army Groups moreso than platoons or squads. So textbooks tend to appeal to me as they deal more with the how, why and where, and less with the "who". Most people are the opposite, I know.

I know you'll be SHOCKED by this, but I don't read science texts...science makes me wet the bed. Though I should probably try to expand my horizons a tad.
Lord Voldemoo

Postby Adam Balm on Mon Apr 02, 2007 7:09 pm

Lord Voldemoo wrote:

Why, I'm glad you asked!

I've re-read a few Poly-Sci treatises and texts that were assigned back in college, but for the most part it's history texts, largely military history. World War I, World War II, the American Civil War, etc.

This is going to sound horrible, but a lot of the time when I read a non-fiction work dealing with war I become bored with all the personal stories (Band of Brothers is a major exception). I'm more interested in reading about the battles themselves from a tactical or strategic standpoint. Troop movements and engagements dealing with Divisions, Armies and Army Groups moreso than platoons or squads. So textbooks tend to appeal to me as they deal more with the how, why and where, and less with the "who". Most people are the opposite, I know.

I know you'll be SHOCKED by this, but I don't read science texts...science makes me wet the bed. Though I should probably try to expand my horizons a tad.

You should both expand your horizons and wet the bed.

There has to be some areas in sci that are at least mildly interesting to you...
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby monorail77 on Mon Apr 02, 2007 7:10 pm

Moo, I am currently reading "Hiding The Elephant" by Jim Steinmeyer. The author is, apparently a renowned designer of illusions for illustrious modern magicians, including David Copperfield. The book itself is a chronicle of 19th and early 20th Century stage magicians and some of their more famous illusiosn. Its a great read. It has that terrific blend of historical fact and itriguing narrative. I'm reminded of "The Professor and the Madman" when reading it (which is another highly recommended read. )

Also, I recently had the distinct pleasure of reading several chapters while hanging out in the lobby of the Empress Hotel in Victoria, wating for my wife to come back from the spa. There I was, reading of Victorian era magicians in a Victorian era upscale hotel Heaven!!
monorail77
AIRWOLF

Postby Adam Balm on Mon Apr 02, 2007 7:11 pm

Wait...magicians don't come up with their own material???!

It appears then, that that is the greatest illusion of all...

*throws smoke bomb down and disappears coughing*
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Mon Apr 02, 2007 7:15 pm

monorail77 wrote:Moo, I am currently reading "Hiding The Elephant" by Jim Steinmeyer. The author is, apparently a renowned designer of illusions for illustrious modern magicians, including David Copperfield. The book itself is a chronicle of 19th and early 20th Century stage magicians and some of their more famous illusiosn. Its a great read. It has that terrific blend of historical fact and itriguing narrative. I'm reminded of "The Professor and the Madman" when reading it (which is another highly recommended read. )

Also, I recently had the distinct pleasure of reading several chapters while hanging out in the lobby of the Empress Hotel in Victoria, wating for my wife to come back from the spa. There I was, reading of Victorian era magicians in a Victorian era upscale hotel Heaven!!

I've been to the Empress!!!! Had tea there. :oops: Great place. Hiding the Elephant sounds very interesting, I'll add it to the list.

AB- there are a number of areas of science that I find interesting in concept, but I don't know where to begin. I haven't taken a true science class (i.e. something beyond an Astronomy 101 college survey course) since high school.

Are there any good books about Alchemy? I want to make a cool gold grill for my teeth.

EDIT: nice thread title edit. Now you're bribing people into the AICN Books forum by promising them parts of ME?!?!
Last edited by Lord Voldemoo on Mon Apr 02, 2007 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lord Voldemoo

Postby monorail77 on Mon Apr 02, 2007 7:17 pm

Adam Balm wrote:Wait...magicians don't come up with their own material???!

Actually, according to the book, many do (I know you were just kidding)

And yes, I was a registered guest of The Empress Hotel at the time. Its right there on the register:

"77, Monorail"

And no, I wasn't asked to leave. And yes, I tipped well.
Last edited by monorail77 on Mon Apr 02, 2007 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
monorail77
AIRWOLF

Postby Adam Balm on Mon Apr 02, 2007 7:18 pm

monorail77 wrote:
Adam Balm wrote:Wait...magicians don't come up with their own material???!

Actually, according to the book, many do (I know you were just kidding)

And yes, I was registered guest of The Empress Hotel at the time. Its right there on the register:

"77, Monorail"

And no, I wasn't asked to leave. And yes, I tipped well.

How was the service?
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby monorail77 on Mon Apr 02, 2007 7:23 pm

Lord Voldemoo wrote:I've been to the Empress!!!! Had tea there. :oops:

Don't be embarassed. The tea there is fantastic. They do a full-on high tea, with little sammiches and scones and cakes and clotted cream. The Works, I tells ya. And at $44 per person (not including tax and tip!) it had better be deluxe. But hey, they do give you a box of tea to take home. And its fuckin great tea. I bought more at the hotel shop. Just finished a cup, as a matter of fact.

I love tea. And that's not remotely Dumbledore.
monorail77
AIRWOLF

Postby Adam Balm on Mon Apr 02, 2007 7:24 pm

FOR GODSSAKE HOW WAS THE SERVICE??!?!?!
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby monorail77 on Mon Apr 02, 2007 7:26 pm

Adam Balm wrote:FOR GODSSAKE HOW WAS THE SERVICE??!?!?!

I didn't attend any service. I was just staying at the hotel.
monorail77
AIRWOLF

Postby Adam Balm on Mon Apr 02, 2007 7:28 pm

:cry:
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Mon Apr 02, 2007 7:49 pm

Hey VoldeyMoos!!!

I ain't much of a bookreader though I'd like to be. BUT - I was seeing what director Alfonso Cuaran had coming up and the most exciting film on his list was The Memory Of Running, which is based on the novel that details an obese Vietnam vet who is still trying to cope with his parent's death and the mistakes of his past, who hears the further devastating news that his missing sister in LA has been found dead. He then sets out on a bicycle road trip across the East to West Coast of America to get her body back. Along the way he has different encounters with people that force him to re-examine his life and try to redeem and rebuild it, hence to try to find happiness in it again. Sounds like a novel I'd like to read, but then again, this will obviously spoil the film.

Here's a novel review anyway of The Memory of Running.

Here's the IMDB page for Alfonso's attachment to the film.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Mon Apr 02, 2007 7:56 pm

Just read the review, sounds incredibly depressing but an interesting character study. Thanks Kirks!
Lord Voldemoo

Postby Adam Balm on Mon Apr 02, 2007 7:59 pm

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:Hey VoldeyMoos!!!

I ain't much of a bookreader though I'd like to be. BUT - I was seeing what director Alfonso Cuaran had coming up and the most exciting film on his list was The Memory Of Running, which is based on the novel that details an obese Vietnam vet who is still trying to cope with his parent's death and the mistakes of his past, who hears the further devastating news that his missing sister in LA has been found dead. He then sets out on a bicycle road trip across the East to West Coast of America to get her body back. Along the way he has different encounters with people that force him to re-examine his life and try to redeem and rebuild it, hence to try to find happiness in it again. Sounds like a novel I'd like to read, but then again, this will obviously spoil the film.

Here's a novel review anyway of The Memory of Running.

Here's the IMDB page for Alfonso's attachment to the film.

Are you still here?
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Bob Samonkey on Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:00 pm

Adam Balm wrote:
Bob Poopflingius Maximus wrote:

I like books!

Really, what kind of books?

Everything from Chimpan-A to Chimpanzee
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby monorail77 on Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:40 am

Adam Balm wrote:FOR GODSSAKE HOW WAS THE SERVICE??!?!?!

I didn't attend any service. I was just staying at the hotel.

EDIT - Now, with rimshot: ba-dum-cha!

monorail77
AIRWOLF

Postby thebostonlocksmith on Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:49 am

I keep going on about this. Whenever someone asks what book they should read i always say the same ones but noone ever listens...

The shadow of the wind - carlos ruiz zafon

I'm not writing yet another mini review for it though...

one that you might find interesting though is a book called 'the book thief' which is set against the backdrop of the second world war, i really enjoyed it myself... it's about... some one who err... steals books?? The narrator for the book is death and it concentrates on a small family and the sacrifices that they have to make... it's very good, and very historically acurate... it's by Markus Zusak...
thebostonlocksmith
AIRWOLF

Postby monorail77 on Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:12 pm

thebostonlocksmith wrote:I keep going on about this. Whenever someone asks what book they should read i always say the same ones but noone ever listens...

I'm sorry, what was that? I wasn't listening.

...ba-dum-cha

monorail77
AIRWOLF

Postby godzillasushi on Tue Oct 09, 2007 2:52 pm

Colbert's book came out today. I Am America (And So Can You!) Normally I don't read books that are of any sort of quality as trash will do me just fine! But I'll be getting this in hopes that it raises wrist injury awareness.

http://www.amazon.com/Am-America-So-Can-You/dp/0446580503/ref=sr_1_1/104-5659390-6419157?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1191955883&sr=1-1

Plus, I'm sure it's actually good.
ImageImage
godzillasushi
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Maui on Sat Jan 12, 2008 3:01 am

This is a hilarious book. I loved every page. I highly recommend it. Especially for this crowd - tons of pop culture references!!!
Maui
WoWie

Postby Ribbons on Sat Jan 12, 2008 3:18 am

Tom Perotta, eh? He co-wrote Little Children (and is the author of the novel). That's interesting because you'd think they'd be able to coax a blurb out of someone who's style is a little closer, but maybe I just don't know his book work well enough.

I heard that this is a fun book for pop culture addicts from someone else too, so you might be onto something there Maui.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Maui on Sat Jan 12, 2008 1:13 pm

Ribbons wrote:I heard that this is a fun book for pop culture addicts from someone else too, so you might be onto something there Maui.

I am, I am. Tons of movie quotes, music references - it's GOOD!!
Maui
WoWie

Postby TonyWilson on Sat Jan 12, 2008 1:35 pm

Green River Rising

A brutal and intelligent book about a prison riot, it's not high art by any means but it's extremely tense, free from cliche (as much as any prison novel can be) and it really delves deep in to the ideas of what prisons are for.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby DDMAN26 on Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:54 pm

Here's a book I'd like to recommend, Water for Elephants just finished it was terrific.
DDMAN26
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby Maui on Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:04 am

DDMAN26 wrote:Here's a book I'd like to recommend, Water for Elephants just finished it was terrific.

I've got that on my book list - glad you enjoyed it.
Maui
WoWie

Postby lyra belacqua on Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:41 pm

Maui wrote:
DDMAN26 wrote:Here's a book I'd like to recommend, Water for Elephants just finished it was terrific.

Be warned: the book contains animal cruelty. I almost had to put it down in a couple of parts. I one of those that can read/watch humans being tortured but I can't do the same when it's animals being tortured.

Decent book other than that.
lyra belacqua
GEEK GODDESS

Postby Maui on Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:43 pm

lyra belacqua wrote:
Maui wrote:

Be warned: the book contains animal cruelty. I almost had to put it down in a couple of parts. I one of those that can read/watch humans being tortured but I can't do the same when it's animals being tortured.

Decent book other than that.

Oh forget it then!!! Thanks for the warning.
Maui
WoWie

Postby The Vicar on Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:46 pm

I thought they favored rice wine,
at least in that one village where they got tanked and went on a spree.
Managed to electrocute themselves pulling out a electrical pole.
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby Ribbons on Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:58 pm

The Vicar wrote:I thought they favored rice wine,
at least in that one village where they got tanked and went on a spree.

I-STAMP-ILASH!
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Maui on Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:24 pm

I always felt so bad for Mrs. Dumbo. Why is this thread reminding me of that????

Maui
WoWie

Re:

Postby Peven on Sat Aug 16, 2008 3:18 pm

Maui wrote:I always felt so bad for Mrs. Dumbo. Why is this thread reminding me of that????

what a slut. did she even know who Dumbo's father was? :wink: :lol:

and if you want to read a very good science fiction book by one of the best SF authors of the last 30 years then try "Pride of Chanur", by C.J. Cherryh. not the first time i have pimped her work here, and won't be the last :wink:

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Re: Book Recommendations for All/Fellow Zoners

Postby bastard_robo on Sat Aug 30, 2008 4:16 pm

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby Mysteryx on Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:02 am

Anything by Larry Niven or Greg Bear is a great addition to any sci-fi fan's library (both have relatively new releases on book store shelves)
Mysteryx
GLIB

Postby Kutulhu on Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:50 pm

I just finished

A Canticle for Leibowitz by Walter M Miller, Jr.

In the Utah desert, Brother Francis of the Albertian Order of Leibowitz has made a miraculous discovery: the relics of the martyr Isaac Leibowitz himself, including the blessed blueprint and the sacred shopping list. They may provide a bright ray of hope in a terrifying age of darkness, a time of ignorance and genetic monsters that are the unholy aftermath of the Flame Deluge. But as the spellbinding mystery at the core of this extraordinary novel unfolds, it is the search itself--for meaning, for truth, for love--that offers hope to a humanity teetering on the edge of an abyss.

Fucking A for Awesome
Kutulhu
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Fievel on Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:06 am

So it's a non-stop laughfest?
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Hermanator X on Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:32 pm

Ok, now this isnt exactly highbrow, but it is extremely geeky.

Wiffle Lever to Full!! by Bob Fischer

Its basically a biographical account of a uk DJ (Small local station in Middlesborough) who decided to get back into geekdom, after a bit of an abscence.
He decided to book himself solid for a year or so, and go to various conventions for all of his childhood geek shows.
Such as: The Prisoner, Dr Who, Red Dwarf, Blakes 7 and a few others.
Its quite a fun read, and may be enlightening to the US Zoners as to how UK cons operate. (I say that having not been to one myself, but I picked this up in oslo airport of all places, when I was heading off on holiday.)

Anyhoo, check out some of the reviews on amazon, and I think some of you may get a kick from it.
...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Postby Kutulhu on Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:43 am

Fievel wrote:So it's a non-stop laughfest?

It is actually very funny.
Kutulhu
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Ribbons on Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:52 am

Thanks Kuthulu!

I have a bunch of books sort of on backlog that I plan to read, but I don't exaggerate when I say I've read about a dozen books in the past year based on the recommendations of my fellow Zoners, so your input is greatly appreciated. If you like reading, you should have a look around the Book Forum and see if there are any old threads that catch your fancy. Hope to see you around, homeslice
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

PreviousNext

Return to AICN Books