Future Book Club Nominees!

This forum caters to our literary tastes.

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Fri Dec 01, 2006 11:09 pm

Hmm, look guys, I've never really sat down and read a book all the way through. It ain't really down to not liking reading (I don't much) but that if I got time to read a book or a script, then I got time to write one, or edit my film, etc. BUT I have been thinking about reading stuff, since I came here, and I have been thinking about picking up a copy of Stephen King's/Peter Straub novel, The Talisman, about a boy who goes into a mysterious fantastical but dark and evil world, in order to find a cure for his dying mother.

Anyone wanna gimme some encouragement on this idea?

EDIT. Sheesh! Google searched and found IMDb already have this listed to be filmed. HOLY SHEET! Can't believe we nearly came to certain death with Will Smith ready to star in it. Michael J Fox, I can handle, considering how easy it is to get someone you don't want to be in films you wanna see. Isn't this the film that Ed Zwick was/is gonna direct?
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Spooky Otaku on Fri Dec 01, 2006 11:16 pm

novel...The Road by Cormac McCarthy, excellent philosophical read...want to be the guy in the movie

graphic novel...The Sandman The Doll's House...or any Sandman graphic novel for that matter.

coffe table book....Gorillaz, Rise of the Ogre...

those would be my picks (and yes Neal Stephenson is God, but I have just finished reading System of the World and need a bit of a break).

Oh yeah, my second nominee for novel, it being December and all is...Lamb by Cristopher Moore...hilarious book about someone who's birthday is celebrated by rabid consumerism and lying to children.
Last edited by Spooky Otaku on Fri Dec 01, 2006 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I drink to forget but I still remember. Hey, barkeep...
Spooky Otaku
GLIB

Postby Ribbons on Fri Dec 01, 2006 11:17 pm

I think that's Quint's favorite Stephen King novel actually, so if you're into his stuff and you trust Quint's opinion then you should definitely give it a look. I don't know anything about it myself.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Adam Balm on Fri Dec 01, 2006 11:44 pm

Ribbons wrote:Does anybody want to emcee the Book Club for December? I haven't and won't really have the time to compile a list of nominees.

I guess I could take it back if no one else wants it this month. It might be fun though, to make it a rotating thing...
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby thebostonlocksmith on Fri Dec 01, 2006 11:47 pm

Did you end up reading life of Pi by Yann Martel?

That book is excellent, if only for the last chapter...
thebostonlocksmith
AIRWOLF

Postby Ribbons on Fri Dec 01, 2006 11:57 pm

Adam Balm wrote:
Ribbons wrote:Does anybody want to emcee the Book Club for December? I haven't and won't really have the time to compile a list of nominees.

I guess I could take it back if no one else wants it this month. It might be fun though, to make it a rotating thing...

Okay, well if there are no other takers, she's all yours. I'm not sure about the rotating thing though.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby lyra belacqua on Fri Dec 01, 2006 11:58 pm

I'd vote for The Road.

A Spot of Bother by Mark Hadden

I love The Tailsman and would definately read it again.

I second also Lamb by Christopher Moore (I think I own the book, just have never read it).

Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn (new, but it looks creepy)
lyra belacqua
GEEK GODDESS

Postby Ribbons on Sat Dec 02, 2006 12:00 am

Gillian Flynn, as in the TV critic for "Entertainment Weekly" Gillian Flynn?
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby thebostonlocksmith on Sat Dec 02, 2006 12:00 am

Is Mark Hadden the guy who wrote 'the curious incident of the dog in the night time'???

That's pretty good too...
thebostonlocksmith
AIRWOLF

Postby lyra belacqua on Sat Dec 02, 2006 12:46 am

Yes and Yes.
lyra belacqua
GEEK GODDESS

Postby DennisMM on Sat Dec 02, 2006 1:23 am

Anyone thought about doing nonfiction?
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby ONeillSG1 on Sat Dec 02, 2006 12:32 pm

I guess we're all fiction lovers here.
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Location: 221C Baker Street, front row seat for some action . . .

Postby Adam Balm on Sat Dec 02, 2006 3:09 pm

DennisMM wrote:Anyone thought about doing nonfiction?

Every single month, but AICN is an entertainment site so naturally we'll all gravitate toward made up stuff...
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Wolfpack on Sat Dec 02, 2006 3:38 pm

The Oxford English Dictionary
"Alright Shaggy - you and Scooby head over that way. The girls and I will go this way."
Wolfpack
AIRWOLF

Postby Pacino86845 on Sat Dec 02, 2006 4:36 pm

I just picked this up today, but how about My Name is Red by this year's Nobel laureate for literature, Orhan Pamuk?
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby brainiac on Sat Dec 02, 2006 6:24 pm

It might be nice to go back and read Wm. Gibson's NEUROMANCER again to see how it holds up. Or perhaps, PATTERN RECOGNITION, one of his newer works.

Or maybe since everyone is so jacked about the movie, Alan Moore's WATCHMEN compilation.
Who watches the Watchmen?
brainiac
REAL DRAGON

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Sun Dec 03, 2006 1:50 pm

DinoDeLaurentiis wrote:The Dino, he just gone anna finish a really good book by a this a guy, Cormac a McCarthy, eh? It's a call a "The Road" anna it's about a the man anna the boy anna they wandering inna the, how you say? post-apocalyptical wasteland, eh? Holy crappa it's a like bleak as a the Hell, but she's a the good book... I'd a give it a 2 thumbs uppa iffa I could lift a my thumbs at all, eh?

hey paisan, if you dug The Road, check out Cormac's other bleak masterpiece, Blood Meridian.

one of the best books I've ever read.
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Sun Dec 03, 2006 1:53 pm

I've a suggestion for January...

Pynchon's latest.

You can be my bff if you get me this for X-Mas...
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Adam Balm on Sun Dec 03, 2006 2:34 pm

brainiac wrote:Or maybe since everyone is so jacked about the movie, Alan Moore's WATCHMEN compilation.

Once again, I'd just like to point out that graphic novels are handled in the comic book forum. It's even in the forum description.
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Mon Dec 04, 2006 12:18 pm

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:hey paisan, if you dug The Road, check out Cormac's other bleak masterpiece, Blood Meridian.

Thanks paisan... I gonna to have a one of a my assistants check it out. A western, eh? I hope I have a not a been a spoiled by alla the Lonesome Dove books by a that McMurtry guy...
DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN

Postby brainiac on Fri Dec 08, 2006 4:11 am

Adam Balm wrote:
brainiac wrote:Or maybe since everyone is so jacked about the movie, Alan Moore's WATCHMEN compilation.

Once again, I'd just like to point out that graphic novels are handled in the comic book forum. It's even in the forum description.

:oops: ....slinks off into the ether never to be heard from again..... :oops:
Who watches the Watchmen?
brainiac
REAL DRAGON

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:28 am

brainiac wrote: :oops: ....slinks off into the ether never to be heard from again..... :oops:

Aww, donna be a the putz, eh? Iffa the Dino, he slink off every time nobody listens to his a suggestions onna this a board, then a we might never have had a the glory that is a the "White Buffalo," eh?
DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN

Postby RaulMonkey on Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:44 pm

Hey, I have one of those in my Photobucket!

They're good omens to the Sioux.
RaulMonkey
ZONE AMBASSADOR

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Thu Jan 11, 2007 1:37 am

The Road?

seems like everyone's reading it anyway...
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Ribbons on Thu Jan 11, 2007 3:45 am

Indeed!

I'm getting itchy to read it myself, primarily because of all the things people are saying about it here.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Suggestions for future ZONER BOOK CLUB Nominees...

Postby bastard_robo on Sun Jan 14, 2007 5:40 am

Might i make the suggestion of BATTLE ROYALE. A book that was turned into a popular movie.
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby Seppuku on Sun Jan 14, 2007 5:51 am

I HOPE you're not talking about the manga. It'd cost me a month's wage to pick up all of those bad muthafuddas.

I suggest The Wasteland by T.S. Eliot. It's not technically a book, but in my opinion it's the best poem ever written. You can view it online here.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Suggestions for future ZONER BOOK CLUB Nominees...

Postby bastard_robo on Sun Jan 14, 2007 5:55 am

seppukudkurosawa wrote:I HOPE you're not talking about the manga. It'd cost me a month's wage to pick up all of those bad muthafuddas.

I suggest The Wasteland by T.S. Eliot. It's not technically a book, but in my opinion it's the best poem ever written. You can view it online here.

God no. It took me 2 year to get all of those (tough i was collecting them as they came out) Im talking about the small priced book thats only about 600 pgs. Its a good read too.
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby Seppuku on Sun Jan 14, 2007 5:58 am

Nice, I'll check it out. I know at least ONE female zoner who should be able to contribute to a discussion on Battle Royale (manga, book, sequel, you name it).
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby Maui on Tue Jul 17, 2007 5:30 pm

Here are some recommendations:

The Bone People by Keri Hulme (Booker Prize Winner)

A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini

The Painted Veil - Somerset Maugham

Will there be a book for August? I hope so :D
Maui
WoWie

Postby St. Alphonzo on Tue Jul 17, 2007 5:39 pm

How about Pynchon's "Gravity's Rainbow". Then minstrel and I would have no futher excuses not to read it :)
Last edited by St. Alphonzo on Tue Jul 17, 2007 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
St. Alphonzo
Patron Saint

Postby Adam Balm on Tue Jul 17, 2007 5:41 pm

Gibson's Spook Country is also coming out in August. As is the final Dune book, so maybe we could do Dune.

Let's get a few more suggestsions and I'll add a poll.

(It's been too long since we've had a book of the month.)
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Tue Jul 17, 2007 6:34 pm

Adam Balm wrote:Gibson's Spook Country is also coming out in August.

William G?!?

you getting that one early?

Can we expect a review?
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Tue Jul 17, 2007 6:35 pm

St. Alphonzo wrote:How about Pynchon's "Gravity's Rainbow". Then minstrel and I would have no futher excuses to not read it :)

I'd be down to read it...

again.

3rd or 4th time should be enough to finally "get" it.

but I doubt it.

:?
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby minstrel on Tue Jul 17, 2007 6:36 pm

St. Alphonzo wrote:How about Pynchon's "Gravity's Rainbow". Then minstrel and I would have no futher excuses to not read it :)

Ah, yes. It is an intimidating tome, sitting on my shelf and sending intimidation rays at me whenever I chicken out and read something else. One of these days, I will have to pick it up and conquer it.

C'mon! Gimme an excuse!

:)
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby St. Alphonzo on Tue Jul 17, 2007 6:37 pm

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:

I'd be down to read it...

again.

3rd or 4th time should be enough to finally "get" it.

but I doubt it.

:?

Aaaand that's precicely the reason I keep not reading it. :| I really should, though.
ImageImage
St. Alphonzo
Patron Saint

Postby Maui on Tue Jul 17, 2007 6:42 pm

Ok, how about Ulysses.

That's been on my bookshelf intimidating me for quite some time now.
Maui
WoWie

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Tue Jul 17, 2007 6:55 pm

St. Alphonzo wrote:Aaaand that's precicely the reason I keep not reading it. :| I really should, though.

well, as you 'prolly know, it's incredibly dense (either that, or I am...'prolly a little of both), filled with seemingly extraneous passages that'll roll your eyes back into your sockets...

but man oh man, there are certain passages that are the most dazzling brilliant musings I've ever come across.

it's not really all that difficult to follow, you've just got to steel yourself for the long-winded, seemingly unnecessary flights of authorial wankery.

if you're a Pynchon virgin, I'd recommend either V. (where I nicked my screen name), THE CRYING OF LOT 49, or VINELAND. They're all shorter in lenght (LOT 49 is a little over novella length), not quite as dense with the narrative chicanery, and will definitely give you the Pynchon vibe, as it were...
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby minstrel on Tue Jul 17, 2007 6:56 pm

Maui wrote:Ok, how about Ulysses.

That's been on my bookshelf intimidating me for quite some time now.

Finnegans Wake!!!

It has to be the most intimidating book in the English (?) language. I once got four pages into it, and that is an achievement I'm proud of!

It still sits on my shelf, sending ultraviolet intimidation rays at me ...
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby Maui on Tue Jul 17, 2007 7:05 pm

minstrel wrote:It has to be the most intimidating book in the English (?) language.

I believe it is!

This is a goal of mine. To read this book in it's entirety and comprehend most of it. :roll:
Maui
WoWie

Postby Adam Balm on Tue Jul 17, 2007 7:26 pm

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:

William G?!?

Can we expect a review?

Yes, yes, and we'll see.

Anyway, if we pick GR, how many of us do you think will actually get through it in a month, or assuming we get through it---how many of us will retain it?
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Ribbons on Tue Jul 17, 2007 7:28 pm

Ooh, if we're doing new books, what about Th1rte3n by Richard Morgan?
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby St. Alphonzo on Tue Jul 17, 2007 7:29 pm

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:
St. Alphonzo wrote:Aaaand that's precicely the reason I keep not reading it. :| I really should, though.

well, as you 'prolly know, it's incredibly dense (either that, or I am...'prolly a little of both), filled with seemingly extraneous passages that'll roll your eyes back into your sockets...

but man oh man, there are certain passages that are the most dazzling brilliant musings I've ever come across.

it's not really all that difficult to follow, you've just got to steel yourself for the long-winded, seemingly unnecessary flights of authorial wankery.

if you're a Pynchon virgin, I'd recommend either V. (where I nicked my screen name), THE CRYING OF LOT 49, or VINELAND. They're all shorter in lenght (LOT 49 is a little over novella length), not quite as dense with the narrative chicanery, and will definitely give you the Pynchon vibe, as it were...

Has anyone checked out "Against The Day" yet? It's thick enough to kill a cow with (sorry Moo). I listen to a lot of audio books during my commute, and thought I might give that one a shot, but then I realized that the unabridged version is 42 discs... 54 hours long!!!!

Thanks for the Pynchon knowledge KCBC. I am a Pynchon virgin so help wading into that particular mine field is appreciated! :)
ImageImage
St. Alphonzo
Patron Saint

Postby Adam Balm on Tue Jul 17, 2007 7:31 pm

Ribbons wrote:Ooh, if we're doing new books, what about Th1rte3n by Richard Morgan?

I was looking at that the other day. I was really looking forward to it, but the whole police procedural angle turned me off. So I dunno. But speaking of Morgan, Gollancz is re-releasing Altered Carbon in August too..
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Tue Jul 17, 2007 7:35 pm

Adam Balm wrote:
Keepcoolbutcare wrote:

William G?!?

Can we expect a review?

Yes, yes, and we'll see.

EXCITED!!!

c'mon, you've GOT to review that. The only acceptable excuse would be either Bascombe or Mori gets to it first.

Crikey man, even if you don't dig it, I'd still love to read your reasons.

Adam Balm wrote:Anyway, if we pick GR, how many of us do you think will actually get through it in a month, or assuming we get through it---how many of us will retain it?

let's be clear here, I'm not endorsing GR for book of the month or anything. People loathe me enough as it is, I don't need to give 'em any more reasons.

IF it was selected...hmmm...I can't really say. I loved it, and when I get all obsessive about a book I tend to drop everything else (and I mean everything. Grooming, sleeping, eating (mayhaps I should read more!), work...fucking building could be on fire and I'd tell the tenants to fuck off!).

In terms of retention, well, that'll rest with the reader. The only way my befuddled, THC addled mind retains info is by highlighting, then writing down select passages, and then re-reading them over and over and over.

and even then, my sieve like brain will still fail me...

:(
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby St. Alphonzo on Tue Jul 17, 2007 7:42 pm

Adam Balm wrote: Anyway, if we pick GR, how many of us do you think will actually get through it in a month, or assuming we get through it---how many of us will retain it?

Valid point. Perhaps we could mark it as a future book of the month now? Pick something more manageable for this month, then slot GR for September... give us a little more time with it?

Assuming anyone's at all interested of course...
ImageImage
St. Alphonzo
Patron Saint

Postby Adam Balm on Tue Jul 17, 2007 7:52 pm

Okay additions/objections before a poll is put up? So far I'm going with:

Gravity's Rainbow
A Thousand Splendid Suns
Dune
Ulysses
Finnegan's Wake
Th1rte3n (aka Black Man)

ETA: I think I'll leave this open for more suggestions til tomorrow.
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Maui on Tue Jul 17, 2007 8:21 pm

Adam Balm wrote:Okay additions/objections before a poll is put up? So far I'm going with:

Gravity's Rainbow
A Thousand Splendid Suns
Dune
Ulysses
Finnegan's Wake
Th1rte3n (aka Black Man)

ETA: I think I'll leave this open for more suggestions til tomorrow.

Well, there's no quiz at the end is there? :wink:

These all look good to me. How many times can I vote in the poll?
Maui
WoWie

Postby Adam Balm on Tue Jul 17, 2007 8:22 pm

Once for Maui, and once more for each alt. identity that you have.

;)
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Maui on Tue Jul 17, 2007 8:27 pm

Alright, that works for me and my alter ego.

Just curious, how is this book club conducted? In a chatroom? Starbucks?
Maui
WoWie

PreviousNext

Return to AICN Books