Banned/Questionable Books

This forum caters to our literary tastes.

Banned/Questionable Books

Postby darkjedijaina on Wed Oct 04, 2006 8:01 pm

In honor of Banned Books Week (which is observed during the last week of September each year) I thought we could discuss books that have been on the list and the like.

Here are twenty of the most challeneged books from 1900-2000.

Scary Stories (Series) by Alvin Schwartz
Daddy’s Roommate by Michael Willhoite
I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou
The Chocolate War by Robert Cormier
The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain
Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck
Harry Potter (Series) by J.K. Rowling
Forever by Judy Blume
Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine Paterson
Alice (Series) by Phyllis Reynolds Naylor
Heather Has Two Mommies by Leslea Newman
My Brother Sam is Dead by James Lincoln Collier and Christopher Collier
The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger
The Giver by Lois Lowry
It’s Perfectly Normal by Robie Harris
Goosebumps (Series) by R.L. Stine
A Day No Pigs Would Die by Robert Newton Peck
The Color Purple by Alice Walker
Sex by Madonna
Earth’s Children (Series) by Jean M. Auel

and a personal childhood favorite of mine that is on the list at number 90 is Little Black Sambo by Helen Bannerman. it was about a boy that lived in India and the tigers were going to eat him, but the boy gave the tigers his new coat and pants and shoes instead, and then all the tigers were jealous of each other and ended up chasing each other around a tree until they turned to butter, and little black sambo had tons of pancakes the next day.
darkjedijaina
BAD ASH

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Wed Oct 04, 2006 8:16 pm

When I was in college the bookstore had a display for Banned Books Week and I took the opportunity to get Lolita. One of the best books I have ever read.
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Ribbons on Wed Oct 04, 2006 8:19 pm

I think it's hilarious that "Captain Underpants" is banned in some places.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Vegeta on Wed Oct 04, 2006 8:20 pm

Wow, alot of these books seem to have homosexual content. :shock:

I personally don't believe in banning/villianizing books for one reason:

FREEDOM OF CHOICE! If I am not interested in or (gasp!) intolerant of a books content, I can always choose not to read it. Problem solved. If other people are interested, cool on them! They have the freedom of choice as well ("what a country" in Yakov Schmirnoff accent).
The funniest thing about people who go all OUTRAGED regarding content of books that they have never read is, that they bring more attention to the very literary text that they are so obstenently opposed. :roll:
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Re: Banned/Questionable Books

Postby Bob Samonkey on Wed Oct 04, 2006 8:24 pm

darkjedijaina wrote:Sex by Madonna

and a personal childhood favorite of mine that is on the list at number 90 is Little Black Sambo by Helen Bannerman. it was about a boy that lived in India and the tigers were going to eat him, but the boy gave the tigers his new coat and pants and shoes instead, and then all the tigers were jealous of each other and ended up chasing each other around a tree until they turned to butter, and little black sambo had tons of pancakes the next day.

First one: I saw the Sex book for the first time like six months ago. Never looked for it before and was really never that interested. I flipped through it to see what all the hub-bub was all about. Man that book was boring. Except the Madonna and Vanillia Ice. That was very very funny.

Second book: I still own my copy of Little Black Sambo. Somewhere in my many boxes of books. I recently saw the eited version of it. I think it was called the Tigers and the Pancakes. I laughed for no good reason...
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby Peven on Wed Oct 04, 2006 8:38 pm

hey DJJ, have you seen the news about the woman in your neighborhood, and mine, Gwinnett County Georgia, who is trying to get the Harry Potter books banned from school libraries?

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby havocSchultz on Wed Oct 04, 2006 8:43 pm

Everybody Poops!!!

Was B4NN3D in my school because there was this one kid who - alas - could not poop...

And the mennonites were big on the whole "lies are sins" thing - so they felt the b4nn1ng was their only fair choice...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby Bob Samonkey on Wed Oct 04, 2006 8:43 pm

Peven wrote:hey DJJ, have you seen the news about the woman in your neighborhood, and mine, Gwinnett County Georgia, who is trying to get the Grande Rojo Potter books banned from school libraries?

I love that. Is she giving the same reason that I heard that the books teach children how to do magic? Or just that it contains wizards and witches within its covers. As if these books are the first fantasy books to ever be published...
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby Vynson on Wed Oct 04, 2006 8:45 pm

Robert Cormier was one of the truly great writers of our time. The Chocolate War is a wonderful read, but his best was FADE. Great book.

Fellow author Michael Cart has said: “Robert Cormier is the single most important writer in the whole history of young adult literature.â€
Vynson
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Vegeta on Wed Oct 04, 2006 8:46 pm

I heard that a book called "Everybody flings poop" was banned.

Is that true Bob?
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby havocSchultz on Wed Oct 04, 2006 8:48 pm

Vegeta wrote:I heard that a book called "Everybody flings poop" was banned.

Is that true Bob?

Albeit, "Everybody Poops on my Tummy" is still in full circulation...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby Bob Samonkey on Wed Oct 04, 2006 8:50 pm

Is that true Bob?

Yes!! After I wrote all 4 pages and everything. And of course, by wrote I wrote I mean pooped on....
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby darkjedijaina on Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:10 pm

Peven wrote:hey DJJ, have you seen the news about the woman in your neighborhood, and mine, Gwinnett County Georgia, who is trying to get the Grande Rojo Potter books banned from school libraries?

no, i had not seen that. i've been so busy remodeling that i haven't even turned on the television in a week. gasp!
darkjedijaina
BAD ASH

Postby Lady Sheridan on Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:20 pm

Everything I learned, I learned from reading banned books.

Especially those Clan of the Cave Bear books....damn.

Actually, in all seriousness, one of the most terrifying experiences I had as an undergrad was when I had to play the part of a person wanting to ban Huckleberry Finn. And I'm such a good debater that I won. :oops:
Lady Sheridan
RED

Postby Peven on Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:23 pm

Bob Poopflingius Maximus wrote:

I love that. Is she giving the same reason that I heard that the books teach children how to do magic? Or just that it contains wizards and witches within its covers. As if these books are the first fantasy books to ever be published...

she is claiming they are a part of the indoctrination of kids into the wiccan religion.

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Peven on Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:24 pm

Lady Sheridan wrote:Everything I learned, I learned from reading banned books.

:shock: and just what was it that you learned? :wink:

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Bob Samonkey on Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:25 pm

Peven wrote:
Lady Sheridan wrote:Everything I learned, I learned from reading banned books.

:shock: and just what was it that you learned? :wink:

That explains the X-thread...
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby darkjedijaina on Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:30 pm

also on the list were the following:

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton
Brave New World by Aldous Huxley
James and the Giant Peach by Roald Dahl
Lord of the Flies by William Golding

i read some of those in school. two for my senior year creative writing class, Brave New World and Lord of the Flies, and i really enjoyed those books.
darkjedijaina
BAD ASH

Postby Peven on Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:35 pm

darkjedijaina wrote:also on the list were the following:

i read some of those in school. two for my senior year creative writing class, Brave New World and Lord of the Flies, and i really enjoyed those books.

yeah, a lot of really excellent books on that list. i didn't see Mien Kampf on it though. which says something about the people who ban books.

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby justcheckin on Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:50 pm

darkjedijaina wrote:also on the list were the following:

What... not The Outsiders, come on - gotta be one of the best old time coming of age books ever!!
justcheckin
AIRWOLF

Postby DennisMM on Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:15 pm

Tonight Keith Olberman's "Worst Person in the World" included a bit about a family trying to get a book banned from the daughter's school. She was permitted to read a different book, but her family thought the book assigned to the class in general was not appropriate for students. Fahrenheit 451. Fifty years later it still challenges idiots who don't understand its themes. Or irony.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby Brocktune on Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:24 pm

i was surprised to not find desade's "120 days of sodom" on the list.

you wouldnt believe the shit i caught for reading that book in school.
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby darkjedijaina on Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:25 pm

wow. yeah, i read that (Farenheit 451) while i was in school. but, i checked it out of the library myself. and i really enjoyed it.

i think perhaps the reason that people get so offended is because they don't understand it. but, how people can't understand books like these is a complete mystery to me.
darkjedijaina
BAD ASH

Postby Ribbons on Thu Oct 05, 2006 12:32 am

Peven wrote:a lot of really excellent books on that list. i didn't see Mien Kampf on it though. which says something about the people who ban books.

Let me revise my original statement: I think it's hilarious that Mien Kampf isn't on the list of b4nn3d/challenged books and "Captain Underpants" IS.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby RaulMonkey on Thu Oct 05, 2006 1:01 am

The woman who runs Canada's largest chain of bookstores, CHAPTERS, banned MEIN KAMPF for sale in all of her stores. I say it was a good call: the public shouldn't be exposed to the writings of such a filthy book-banner.
RaulMonkey
ZONE AMBASSADOR

Postby HollywoodBabylon on Thu Oct 05, 2006 2:14 pm

RaulMonkey wrote:The woman who runs Canada's largest chain of bookstores, CHAPTERS, banned MEIN KAMPF for sale in all of her stores. I say it was a good call: the public shouldn't be exposed to the writings of such a filthy book-banner.

As loathsome and as badly written as it's supposed to be, I suppose Mein Kampf is an important book historically in the context of 20th Century history - hence why it's still on the bookshelves and should remain so. If not else, it's a good example of showing people that Herr Hitler was as awful a writer as he was a painter.
HollywoodBabylon
AIRWOLF

Postby Doc Holliday on Thu Oct 05, 2006 2:24 pm

What, no "Ulysses" by James Joyce? No "Lady Chatterley's Lover" or "Sons and Lovers" by D.H.Lawrence?

All shocking B4NN3D's in their day. Never knew "Of Mice and Men" was B4NN3D though - love that book...
"I think the worst time to have a heart attack is during a game of charades..."

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby HollywoodBabylon on Thu Oct 05, 2006 2:36 pm

Doc Holliday wrote:What, no "Ulysses" by James Joyce? No "Lady Chatterley's Lover" or "Sons and Lovers" by D.H.Lawrence?

All shocking B4NN3D's in their day. Never knew "Of Mice and Men" was B4NN3D though - love that book...

Worse still, why no mention of Jeffrey Archer? NOW there's an author whose books should be consigned to the rubbish bin of literature.
HollywoodBabylon
AIRWOLF

Postby Chairman Kaga on Thu Oct 05, 2006 2:41 pm

Weird a lot of these mentioned so far were required reading while I was in High School

Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury

as well as 1984, Huckleberry Finn, Tom Sawyer though I hand't seen them mentioned yet. I can see what white bread douche bags would object to in most of these....except Of Mice and Men. I can't recall what would get people riled up over that book.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby HollywoodBabylon on Thu Oct 05, 2006 2:47 pm

Chairman Kaga wrote:Weird a lot of these mentioned so far were required reading while I was in High School

Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury

as well as 1984, Huckleberry Finn, Tom Sawyer though I hand't seen them mentioned yet. I can see what white bread douche bags would object to in most of these....except Of Mice and Men. I can't recall what would get people riled up over that book.

The political correctness zealots would find anything wrong, even in the most innocuous books. Maybe Of Mice & Men (a great, great book) offends the mentally impaired in their blinkered eyes.
HollywoodBabylon
AIRWOLF

Postby Peven on Thu Oct 05, 2006 2:57 pm

it isn't the "political correctness" crowd that bans a lot of those books, like H@rry Potter, Captain Underpants, Goosbeumps, or even books like To Kill a Mockingbird. it is the biblethumping, pseudo-conservative whackos who are uncomfortable with any point of view not their own being put out there for their kids to see that might contradict the bigoted, assbackward world view they have.

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby HollywoodBabylon on Thu Oct 05, 2006 2:59 pm

Peven wrote:it isn't the "political correctness" crowd that bans a lot of those books, like H@rry Potter, Captain Underpants, Goosbeumps, or even books like To Kill a Mockingbird. it is the biblethumping, pseudo-conservative whackos who are uncomfortable with any point of view not their own being put out there for their kids to see that might contradict the bigoted, assbackward world view they have.

True, Peven. Two sides of the same coin really. The Yin and Yan of moral fascism.
HollywoodBabylon
AIRWOLF

Postby Peven on Thu Oct 05, 2006 3:00 pm

i agree, HB

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Doc Holliday on Thu Oct 05, 2006 3:02 pm

Peven wrote:it isn't the "political correctness" crowd that bans a lot of those books, like H@rry Potter, Captain Underpants, Goosbeumps, or even books like To Kill a Mockingbird. it is the biblethumping, pseudo-conservative whackos who are uncomfortable with any point of view not their own being put out there for their kids to see that might contradict the bigoted, assbackward world view they have.

True they don't ban the book....but they do try to prescribe what views you are allowed to divine from them. And discussing them in open conversation is positively frowned upon :wink:
"I think the worst time to have a heart attack is during a game of charades..."

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby minstrel on Thu Oct 05, 2006 3:06 pm

It appals me that there are still people - large groups of people - in modern societies who advocate the banning of books. It's actually hard to imagine anything more idiotic.

The book-banners are conservatives? The same people who were most vociferous in fighting the Soviet Union in the communist era? I read a bunch of interviews with Russian authors such as Joseph Brodsky and Boris Pasternak in which they said they were compelled by the State to restrict what they could write about to a list of Soviet-approved subjects - that their works would be banned if they strayed from the approved material and the approved attitudes about it.

This is the sort of thing comedians make their livings on. Come on, Jon Stewart! Lampoon the book-banners!
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby Chairman Kaga on Thu Oct 05, 2006 3:26 pm

Honestly isn't it both the Super Leftist PC folks and the Super Right Wing Religious Whackos who are responsible? Obviously working from different ends of the spectrum and for different reasons but with the same banning goal in mind?

How I was able to read all of the above in a Florida public high school is mind boggling really considering the nuttty political hacks in this state.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Thu Oct 05, 2006 3:37 pm

DennisMM wrote:Tonight Keith Olberman's "Worst Person in the World" included a bit about a family trying to get a book banned from the daughter's school. She was permitted to read a different book, but her family thought the book assigned to the class in general was not appropriate for students. Fahrenheit 451. Fifty years later it still challenges idiots who don't understand its themes. Or irony.

did you read the Boing Boing article as well?

great pull quote from the Houston Courier...

"It's just all kinds of filth," said Alton Verm, adding that he had not read Fahrenheit 451.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Peven on Thu Oct 05, 2006 3:52 pm

Chairman Kaga wrote:Honestly isn't it both the Super Leftist PC folks and the Super Right Wing Religious Whackos who are responsible? Obviously working from different ends of the spectrum and for different reasons but with the same banning goal in mind?

How I was able to read all of the above in a Florida public high school is mind boggling really considering the nuttty political hacks in this state.

there is no doubt that an extreme political correctness bunch have had their hand in getting some material banned or censored, but when i look over that list i see many more books that would have been banned by the right than the left. i mean, the ACLU is considered a bastion of left-wing liberal ideals and they get criticized for defending nazis and white supremecists due to their belief in freedom of speech. one of the cornerstones of the democrat/left-wing/liberal belief system is the 1st Amendment. meanwhile, you have people on the right that have spent money and time trying to get stuff like Spongebob Squarepants and Teletubbies off the air, or like this woman in the next county over from me trying to get H@rry Potter books banned from all county school libraries. in this country, historically, it has been the right-wing, fundamentalists who are by far the most guilty of book banning and censorship.

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Pacino86845 on Thu Oct 05, 2006 3:54 pm

Books shouldn't be banned, PEOPLE SHOULD BE B4NN3D!!!!
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Peven on Thu Oct 05, 2006 3:58 pm

Pacino86845 wrote:Books shouldn't be banned, PEOPLE SHOULD BE B4NN3D!!!!

spoken like a true alpha-mod

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Thu Oct 05, 2006 5:51 pm

I read Fahrenheit 451 for the first time last year and I am at a loss to think of what could possibly be the "filth" the guy is talking about. Unless he means the stuff about the government lying to the people and sustaining a war to trod upon civil liberties.
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby buster00 on Fri Oct 06, 2006 3:50 am

Tyrone_Shoelaces wrote:I read Fahrenheit 451 for the first time last year and I am at a loss to think of what could possibly be the "filth" the guy is talking about. Unless he means the stuff about the government lying to the people and sustaining a war to trod upon civil liberties.

Jeepers, that couldn't possibly happen in the year 2006, could it? Lying to sustain a war in order to shit all over our civil liberties? Who would possibly do such a thing?
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby darkjedijaina on Fri Oct 06, 2006 6:21 am

Chairman Kaga wrote:as well as 1984, Huckleberry Finn, Tom Sawyer though I hand't seen them mentioned yet.

The Adventures of Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain

those two are definitely on there.
darkjedijaina
BAD ASH

Postby The Thin Man on Fri Oct 06, 2006 6:46 am

When I was a child my local library banned Enid Blyton. For all you Americans, she wrote books about middle class children in the 1930's getting up to adventures. The librarian said that they promoted white, middle class values that would make working class children feel inferior.
Schindler and I are like peas in a pod. We both made shells for the Germans, it's just that mine worked!
The Thin Man
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby Chairman Kaga on Fri Oct 06, 2006 8:28 am

darkjedijaina wrote:
Chairman Kaga wrote:as well as 1984, Huckleberry Finn, Tom Sawyer though I hand't seen them mentioned yet.

The Adventures of Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain

those two are definitely on there.

I just meant no one had mentioned them in the thread yet.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby havocSchultz on Fri Oct 06, 2006 8:31 am

My church back home once told all the people in it to get rid of/destroy/trash/burn any and all secular books and movies and etc...

My parents were alot more heavily involved with the church back then.

I was young. But I remember standing at the local dump watching all these books being tossed...

We did seem to hang onto all our movies though...

Go figure...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Fri Oct 06, 2006 11:31 am

havocSchultz wrote:My church back home once told all the people in it to get rid of/destroy/trash/burn any and all secular books and movies and etc...

I was young...being tossed...We did seem to hang onto all our movies though...

from what I understand of the church, they like those family tosser flicks...
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby The Vicar on Fri Oct 06, 2006 1:06 pm

havocSchultz wrote:

Is that true Bob?

Albeit, "Everybody Poops on my Tummy" is still in full circulation...

Sadly, the Golden Shower Primer is only available on Ebay, and you have to perform some disgusting sex acts just to bid on it.

Several Zoners just left for the Ebay auction.
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby Al Shut on Fri Oct 06, 2006 1:18 pm

Just out of interest, in most cases were not talking about real banning are we?

Since most of you are talking about US/UK/Canada, mostly this is about self imposed we're not going to sell/buy/lend/publish this actions.

Or is it really possible to completly outlaw books?
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby HollywoodBabylon on Fri Oct 06, 2006 1:59 pm

Al_Shut wrote:Just out of interest, in most cases were not talking about real banning are we?

Since most of you are talking about US/UK/Canada, mostly this is about self imposed we're not going to sell/buy/lend/publish this actions.

Or is it really possible to completly outlaw books?

I'd think in most 'democratic' countries it would be hard nowadays to completely ban a book. It would have to be something exceptionally bad or a book that breaks the actual obscenity/incitement to violence law (though the latter law is a pretty grey area, I grant you).
HollywoodBabylon
AIRWOLF

Next

Return to AICN Books