The Dark Tower

This forum caters to our literary tastes.

Re: The Dark Tower

Postby Bloo on Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:10 pm

caruso_stalker217 wrote:I'm 130 pages into The Wind Through The Keyhole. A much less-painful read than the last three DT books. Can't go wrong with the Young Roland Deschain Chronicles.


I had a shit ton to do today for classes and the bank on campus wouldn't cash my check, by the time I got to my bank, it was closed. No Wind Through The Keyhole for me...maybe tomorrow
Image
User avatar
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN
 
Posts: 9668
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2007 4:26 pm
Location: Kansas, home of the Bacon Explosion

Re: The Dark Tower

Postby Bloo on Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:00 pm

Edit: Review below don't want to spoil anything but let me just put my review in two words HOLY SHIT












































































































Finished it

HOLY SHIT

Read it one day, almost in one sitting

HOLY SHIT

HOLY SHIT

HOLY SHIT

Easily the best DT book since Drawing of the Tree, feels very much like King of Old, very...well and this is kind of ironic considering the SyFy Miniseries news, very Eyes of the Dragonish. I have some minor complaints but these are personal preferences and in retrospect I'll probably change them

I wish Tree and the story of Tim Stoutheart had taken place in Delain since the Tax Collector (Mr. RF) is appearing more in that mode then he does in Gilead stories

I wish King would have used Cuthbert instead of Jamie, as he mentioned he would in pre-announcements to this book. Jamie will probably grow on me and it's nice to really meet the 4th member of Roland's original Ka-Tet

RF (he's unmentioned in the story) uses the gearshift of a Dodge Dart, but can't understand why? I would have preferred a reference to Christine, unless I'm forgetting something about a Dodge Dart.

This, to me at least, FEELS like King whereas Under the Dome didn't and 11/63 hinted at King, this feels like the King of old.

And JCI, no invisible man, which gives me hope there will be another story set in Mid-World that tells his story

And the Afterwords, in King's High Speech, may soon be a tattoo on me, I loved it, Gods Damned I loved this book
Image
User avatar
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN
 
Posts: 9668
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2007 4:26 pm
Location: Kansas, home of the Bacon Explosion

Re: The Dark Tower

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:49 pm

SPOILERS(?)

I'm with Bloo on this one. What a wonderful book this is. I didn't have to reach all the way back to The Drawing of the Three to rank this one. I'd say this is the best Dark Tower book since Wizard and Glass, but that one is my personal favorite so results may vary. This is definitely better than the last three DT books combined.

I thought that this would mostly be about young Roland chasing down a "skin-man" but it turned out the bulk of the book was the story within the story (within the story) the titular "Wind Through the Keyhole." Which turns out to be the best thing King has written in a long time. I'm not sure how long that is. I haven't read Under the Dome or 11/22/63. The most recent King I'd read was Duma Key, which was longer than it needed to be and had a lot of the goofy and irritating shit that pops up in shittier books of his, but wasn't terrible.

This also is not terrible. It's fantastic.

Not much time is spent with Roland and his ka-tet, which was fine by me. I've read their adventures and know their fates, so it was nice to get a story set in Mid-World with ties to the other stories but was also its own thing. Like Bloo I too got an Eyes of the Dragon feel from this, especially in regards to the Covenant Man, so I liked that King put in a reference to Garlan which was first mentioned in tEotD.

As I said, the story of Tim Stoutheart itself is the best King has been in years. The journey through the swamp was the highlight for me. The encounter with the dragon, Tim versus the alligators, meeting the swamp people. And it has the biggest laugh in the book. ("Get me off this fucking island!") I also found Tim's brief friendship with Daria the guidance system to be both cute and sad. None of the A.I. in this world seem very happy.

The skin-man story is also pretty good. I liked that Roland's companion was Jamie and not Cuthbert, seeing as how he's been mentioned since The Gunslinger but never actually showed up to do anything. The final confrontation with the skin-man is just the kind of mixture of weirdness and violence that I like.

Overall, I thought this was a great book. I like the story-within-a-story structure. It was nice to see some old friends and meet some new ones. And the ending had an emotional impact I wasn't expecting. I only wish this book had been longer because I love this world. I wouldn't complain if King wrote a few more adventures set in this universe. I wouldn't mind hearing a few more tales about Tim Stoutheart.

This makes me want to go all the way back and start from the beginning. Actually, it makes me want to re-read books 5 through 7 which I haven't done yet. It's been about ten years. Probably time.
Last edited by caruso_stalker217 on Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image
User avatar
caruso_stalker217
TOO AGED FOR THIS MALARKEY
 
Posts: 9783
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2007 6:03 pm
Location: Oregon, US of A

Re: The Dark Tower

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:51 pm

Bloo wrote:And JCI, no invisible man, which gives me hope there will be another story set in Mid-World that tells his story


Forgot about that. Which book was that mentioned in? I want to say Wizard and Glass, but maybe it was the revised version of The Gunslinger, which overall I though kinda sucked.
Image
User avatar
caruso_stalker217
TOO AGED FOR THIS MALARKEY
 
Posts: 9783
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2007 6:03 pm
Location: Oregon, US of A

Re: The Dark Tower

Postby Bloo on Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:23 pm

I believe The Invisible Man story is first mentioned in The Gunslinger but it's been forever since I've read that

on retrospect I do like Jamie included, but damn I love Cuthbert and Jaime reminds me just a little too much of Alain (maybe I need to reread Wizard and the Glass LOL)

I too want to go back and reread the whole thing and get a feel for how everything flows together and I want more stories in Mid-Earth...I don't care what excuse, give me Kindle short story exclusives...release the entire The Wind Through The Keyhole book simila rto what JK Rowling did with The Tales of Beedle the Bard...just let me livein this world if they can all be this strong.

I compared it to Drawing of the Three because well...that's my favorite of the Dark Tower books
Image
User avatar
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN
 
Posts: 9668
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2007 4:26 pm
Location: Kansas, home of the Bacon Explosion

Re: The Dark Tower

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:36 pm

Bloo wrote:I believe The Invisible Man story is first mentioned in The Gunslinger but it's been forever since I've read that

on retrospect I do like Jamie included, but damn I love Cuthbert and Jaime reminds me just a little too much of Alain (maybe I need to reread Wizard and the Glass LOL)

I too want to go back and reread the whole thing and get a feel for how everything flows together and I want more stories in Mid-Earth...I don't care what excuse, give me Kindle short story exclusives...release the entire The Wind Through The Keyhole book simila rto what JK Rowling did with The Tales of Beedle the Bard...just let me livein this world if they can all be this strong.

I compared it to Drawing of the Three because well...that's my favorite of the Dark Tower books


I think out of all the books, Drawing of the Three is probably the one that would translate the best to the screen. It has the strongest structure of the entire series. All the books after it (and The Gunslinger before it) are mostly about getting from one place to another. Wizard and Glass would be a great standalone story. And the last three books are, let's face it, unfilmable. But I would love to be able to see DotT in a movie theater.
Image
User avatar
caruso_stalker217
TOO AGED FOR THIS MALARKEY
 
Posts: 9783
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2007 6:03 pm
Location: Oregon, US of A

Re: The Dark Tower

Postby Bloo on Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:43 pm

I think The Gunslinger is filmable, the difficulty comes in linking those short stories that make it up a little more cohesively. Wizard and Glass would be filmable if they focus on the events in Mejis almost exclusively
Image
User avatar
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN
 
Posts: 9668
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2007 4:26 pm
Location: Kansas, home of the Bacon Explosion

Re: The Dark Tower

Postby justcheckin on Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:43 pm

ARghhh.... you both read the whole thing already? OMG!
User avatar
justcheckin
AIRWOLF
 
Posts: 2751
Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:37 am
Location: Down the street, take a left.

Re: The Dark Tower

Postby Bloo on Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:46 pm

justcheckin wrote:ARghhh.... you both read the whole thing already? OMG!


it's a damn fast read, I had it done in about 4 hours...but I'm a damn fast read
Image
User avatar
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN
 
Posts: 9668
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2007 4:26 pm
Location: Kansas, home of the Bacon Explosion

Re: The Dark Tower

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:51 pm

Bloo wrote:I think The Gunslinger is filmable, the difficulty comes in linking those short stories that make it up a little more cohesively. Wizard and Glass would be filmable if they focus on the events in Mejis almost exclusively


The thing that would really hurt The Gunslinger as a film is that it doesn't really have a satisfying ending. It just kinda...ends. So I have no hope for whatever abortion we get courtesy of Opie and Akiva.
Image
User avatar
caruso_stalker217
TOO AGED FOR THIS MALARKEY
 
Posts: 9783
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2007 6:03 pm
Location: Oregon, US of A

Re: The Dark Tower

Postby Bloo on Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:53 pm

caruso_stalker217 wrote:
Bloo wrote:I think The Gunslinger is filmable, the difficulty comes in linking those short stories that make it up a little more cohesively. Wizard and Glass would be filmable if they focus on the events in Mejis almost exclusively


The thing that would really hurt The Gunslinger as a film is that it doesn't really have a satisfying ending. It just kinda...ends. So I have no hope for whatever abortion we get courtesy of Opie and Akiva.


I'd think I'd end with the beginning of The Drawing of the Three with Roland finding the first door

Oh one thing that no one has mentioned but I thought was Brillant the mention of Aslan at the end of the Beam of the Lion especially sinceCS Lewis started a book about other dimensions called...The Dark Tower
Image
User avatar
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN
 
Posts: 9668
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2007 4:26 pm
Location: Kansas, home of the Bacon Explosion

Re: The Dark Tower

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:01 pm

I always like it when King mentions the Guardians. I don't know why.

One thing that is almost a complaint about The Wind Through the Keyhole, though. Once again the Crimson King is mentioned in a way that makes it sound like he's somebody actually worthy of Big Bad Guy status. Easily one of the most laughable and useless villains ever.
Image
User avatar
caruso_stalker217
TOO AGED FOR THIS MALARKEY
 
Posts: 9783
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2007 6:03 pm
Location: Oregon, US of A

Re: The Dark Tower

Postby Bloo on Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:02 pm

caruso_stalker217 wrote:I always like it when King mentions the Guardians. I don't know why.

One thing that is almost a complaint about The Wind Through the Keyhole, though. Once again the Crimson King is mentioned in a way that makes it sound like he's somebody actually worthy of Big Bad Guy status. Easily one of the most laughable and useless villains ever.


I actually love that The Crimson King is useless because everyone fears him so much, it's like King giving the middle finger to evil and it's almost an antithesis to the idea that every good hero needs a good villian. Roland is a great hero despite having a shitty villian (besides Flagg who goes out like a bitch)
Image
User avatar
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN
 
Posts: 9668
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2007 4:26 pm
Location: Kansas, home of the Bacon Explosion

Re: The Dark Tower

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:10 pm

Bloo wrote:
caruso_stalker217 wrote:I always like it when King mentions the Guardians. I don't know why.

One thing that is almost a complaint about The Wind Through the Keyhole, though. Once again the Crimson King is mentioned in a way that makes it sound like he's somebody actually worthy of Big Bad Guy status. Easily one of the most laughable and useless villains ever.


I actually love that The Crimson King is useless because everyone fears him so much, it's like King giving the middle finger to evil and it's almost an antithesis to the idea that every good hero needs a good villian. Roland is a great hero despite having a shitty villian (besides Flagg who goes out like a bitch)


Sure, Flagg goes out like a bitch, but at least 95% of his dialogue wasn't AEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! At least he wasn't literally erased from existence WITH A FUCKING PENCIL.

I mean at least make the guy look cool. His one defining physical characteristic: Santa Claus.

I know villains aren't King's strength, but after seven books I think we deserved better.
Image
User avatar
caruso_stalker217
TOO AGED FOR THIS MALARKEY
 
Posts: 9783
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2007 6:03 pm
Location: Oregon, US of A

Re: The Dark Tower

Postby Bloo on Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:13 pm

caruso_stalker217 wrote:
Bloo wrote:
caruso_stalker217 wrote:I always like it when King mentions the Guardians. I don't know why.

One thing that is almost a complaint about The Wind Through the Keyhole, though. Once again the Crimson King is mentioned in a way that makes it sound like he's somebody actually worthy of Big Bad Guy status. Easily one of the most laughable and useless villains ever.


I actually love that The Crimson King is useless because everyone fears him so much, it's like King giving the middle finger to evil and it's almost an antithesis to the idea that every good hero needs a good villian. Roland is a great hero despite having a shitty villian (besides Flagg who goes out like a bitch)


Sure, Flagg goes out like a bitch, but at least 95% of his dialogue wasn't AEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! At least he wasn't literally erased from existence WITH A FUCKING PENCIL.

I mean at least make the guy look cool. His one defining physical characteristic: Santa Claus.

I know villains aren't King's strength, but after seven books I think we deserved better.


we're just going to have to disagree on that because I loved that part, I laughed my ass off
Image
User avatar
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN
 
Posts: 9668
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2007 4:26 pm
Location: Kansas, home of the Bacon Explosion

Re: The Dark Tower

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:18 pm

Bloo wrote:
caruso_stalker217 wrote:
Bloo wrote:
caruso_stalker217 wrote:I always like it when King mentions the Guardians. I don't know why.

One thing that is almost a complaint about The Wind Through the Keyhole, though. Once again the Crimson King is mentioned in a way that makes it sound like he's somebody actually worthy of Big Bad Guy status. Easily one of the most laughable and useless villains ever.


I actually love that The Crimson King is useless because everyone fears him so much, it's like King giving the middle finger to evil and it's almost an antithesis to the idea that every good hero needs a good villian. Roland is a great hero despite having a shitty villian (besides Flagg who goes out like a bitch)


Sure, Flagg goes out like a bitch, but at least 95% of his dialogue wasn't AEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! At least he wasn't literally erased from existence WITH A FUCKING PENCIL.

I mean at least make the guy look cool. His one defining physical characteristic: Santa Claus.

I know villains aren't King's strength, but after seven books I think we deserved better.


we're just going to have to disagree on that because I loved that part, I laughed my ass off


Sure it was. But I think that was the wrong time for a laugh.
Image
User avatar
caruso_stalker217
TOO AGED FOR THIS MALARKEY
 
Posts: 9783
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2007 6:03 pm
Location: Oregon, US of A

Re: The Dark Tower

Postby Fievel on Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:57 pm

Re: Crimson King.... The Guardians were mentioned earlier. I, too, love mention of the Guardians in the books. Hearing of them makes me wonder about life in Mid-World LONG before Roland was around. I also imagine that much earlier than the events of Book 7, the Crimson King was a powerful enemy worthy of being feared. I believe it is said that he has gone insane from being in the Tower so long? Or something to that effect? So looking at it that way, I get the weak-ass EEEEEEEEE-screaming waste of a villain we see at the end. His ending sucks. It really sucks. Hell, Patrick Danville showing up like he does sucks (why couldn't it have been Jack Sawyer?!?!?!?!). But I like to think that he once was just pure evil.

Flagg - It's like Boba Fett. We have a fan-favorite bad guy whose story ends it a simply pathetic way.

I need to read this new book!!!!!
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
User avatar
Fievel
Mouse Of The House
 
Posts: 11948
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:07 pm
Location: White Lake, MI

Re: The Dark Tower

Postby Bloo on Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:25 am

yes you do Fievel
Image
User avatar
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN
 
Posts: 9668
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2007 4:26 pm
Location: Kansas, home of the Bacon Explosion

Re: The Dark Tower

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:02 am

Fievel wrote:Re: Crimson King.... The Guardians were mentioned earlier. I, too, love mention of the Guardians in the books. Hearing of them makes me wonder about life in Mid-World LONG before Roland was around. I also imagine that much earlier than the events of Book 7, the Crimson King was a powerful enemy worthy of being feared. I believe it is said that he has gone insane from being in the Tower so long? Or something to that effect? So looking at it that way, I get the weak-ass EEEEEEEEE-screaming waste of a villain we see at the end. His ending sucks. It really sucks. Hell, Patrick Danville showing up like he does sucks (why couldn't it have been Jack Sawyer?!?!?!?!). But I like to think that he once was just pure evil.

Flagg - It's like Boba Fett. We have a fan-favorite bad guy whose story ends it a simply pathetic way.

I need to read this new book!!!!!


Ah yes. Patrick Danville. Which makes me remember that shitty book Insomnia. Which makes me remember that somebody gave Roland that shitty book in The Dark Tower. Which only makes me wish King had suffered a massive stroke before he wrote that part.

And didn't Roland basically toss the book in the trash and say it probably wasn't important anyway?
Image
User avatar
caruso_stalker217
TOO AGED FOR THIS MALARKEY
 
Posts: 9783
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2007 6:03 pm
Location: Oregon, US of A

Re: The Dark Tower

Postby Bloo on Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:28 am

awww Insomnia the book that probably would be forgotton if King hadn't written it at the time The Dark Tower "hit" and people started seeing the connections to the Dark Twoer, so King wrote the ultimate connected book...they should just tag Insomina with a Dark Tower i.e. The Dark Tower:Insomnia

It's a shame King hadn't written that during his stoned and drunk days, we could at least blame it on them then, alas it's just King buying into his own and the Dark Tower hype of the time
Image
User avatar
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN
 
Posts: 9668
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2007 4:26 pm
Location: Kansas, home of the Bacon Explosion

Re: The Dark Tower

Postby Fievel on Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:18 am

caruso_stalker217 wrote:And didn't Roland basically toss the book in the trash and say it probably wasn't important anyway?


Yeah, after I read that initially back in the day I laughed quite a bit. I have no idea what his intentions were by doing that, but even now years later it seems hilarious to me.

Bloo wrote:awww Insomnia the book that probably would be forgotton if King hadn't written it at the time The Dark Tower "hit" and people started seeing the connections to the Dark Twoer, so King wrote the ultimate connected book...they should just tag Insomina with a Dark Tower i.e. The Dark Tower:Insomnia


I have the same thoughts about Black House, which I absolutely love. Talisman had enough DT similarities but Black House just said "screw it" and dove head first into it (supposedly at Straub's insistence). After the ending of that book I thought for sure Jack would end up in Mid-World in some capacity. But no. Instead we get Dinky, Ted, and Patrick. Big sigh.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
User avatar
Fievel
Mouse Of The House
 
Posts: 11948
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:07 pm
Location: White Lake, MI

Re: The Dark Tower

Postby Bloo on Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:00 pm

Jack in Mid-World would have made a lot more sense. And I'm still hoping we get the promised Thomas/Denis/and Roland meet Flagg story. and of course The Invisable Man. More Mid-World short stories please King.

One thought, as i look at my well worn copy of Eyes o The Dragon, that I both like and loathe the way Flagg goes out. Flagg's plans never succeed. He's always getting trumped by his own lies and arrogance. So I do like that Modred sees through Flagg and kills him like a bitch. But I also hate it because it's never evil that defeats Flagg, it's always innocence and trust that defeats him. I personally feel that while Flagg serves the Crimson King, he's the more dangerous of the two. TCK sits and tries to break into the Tower, but Flagg is much more...manipulative. Starscream to Megatron if you will. Anyways, if King was in love with the idea of using Patrick, using him to defeat Flagg would have been better and much more in line with Flagg's prior defeats (at Thomas's hand in EotD, not seeing through Tom Cullen in The Stand, Tim and the Tyger in The Wind Through the Keyhole), then have Roland just kind of look down at this screaming caricature of a supervillian in The Crimson King, shoot him and move on.

Maybe the next time ka turns...
Image
User avatar
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN
 
Posts: 9668
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2007 4:26 pm
Location: Kansas, home of the Bacon Explosion

Re: The Dark Tower

Postby Fievel on Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:34 pm

Bloo wrote:Maybe the next time ka turns...


And you know what, I hope this happens. Somehow. I've always hoped that the film versions of the Dark Tower have Roland carrying the Horn of Eld, showing that this version of the story is different from what the Constant Readers know. Not only will it allow a possible definitive ending (that will still piss people off) but it can be the excuse for any changes made to the story along the way.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
User avatar
Fievel
Mouse Of The House
 
Posts: 11948
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:07 pm
Location: White Lake, MI

Re: The Dark Tower

Postby Bloo on Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:53 pm

Fievel wrote:
Bloo wrote:Maybe the next time ka turns...


And you know what, I hope this happens. Somehow. I've always hoped that the film versions of the Dark Tower have Roland carrying the Horn of Eld, showing that this version of the story is different from what the Constant Readers know. Not only will it allow a possible definitive ending (that will still piss people off) but it can be the excuse for any changes made to the story along the way.


I would really like that as well. It would give The Constant Readers a little hint and yet not be intrusive that non-readers would be turned off
Image
User avatar
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN
 
Posts: 9668
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2007 4:26 pm
Location: Kansas, home of the Bacon Explosion

Re: The Dark Tower

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:14 pm

Bloo wrote:Jack in Mid-World would have made a lot more sense. And I'm still hoping we get the promised Thomas/Denis/and Roland meet Flagg story. and of course The Invisable Man. More Mid-World short stories please King.

One thought, as i look at my well worn copy of Eyes o The Dragon, that I both like and loathe the way Flagg goes out. Flagg's plans never succeed. He's always getting trumped by his own lies and arrogance. So I do like that Modred sees through Flagg and kills him like a bitch. But I also hate it because it's never evil that defeats Flagg, it's always innocence and trust that defeats him. I personally feel that while Flagg serves the Crimson King, he's the more dangerous of the two. TCK sits and tries to break into the Tower, but Flagg is much more...manipulative. Starscream to Megatron if you will. Anyways, if King was in love with the idea of using Patrick, using him to defeat Flagg would have been better and much more in line with Flagg's prior defeats (at Thomas's hand in EotD, not seeing through Tom Cullen in The Stand, Tim and the Tyger in The Wind Through the Keyhole), then have Roland just kind of look down at this screaming caricature of a supervillian in The Crimson King, shoot him and move on.

Maybe the next time ka turns...


I was thinking recently that it's kinda weird that Jack Mort never turned up again at some point.
Image
User avatar
caruso_stalker217
TOO AGED FOR THIS MALARKEY
 
Posts: 9783
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2007 6:03 pm
Location: Oregon, US of A

Re: The Dark Tower

Postby justcheckin on Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:32 pm

caruso_stalker217 wrote:Once again the Crimson King is mentioned in a way that makes it sound like he's somebody actually worthy of Big Bad Guy status. Easily one of the most laughable and useless villains ever.


I think the Crimson King works as the bad guy. I think his reputation is carrying him by the time Roland starts his quest but basically all is set in motion by the CK. The damage done in the wastelands, the thinny(s), his work to destroy the beams so that he can rule over the darkness, etc. He is an immortal being and seems to have endless servants and followers at his disposal. I sort of think that King is writing about a struggle between Ka (fate, God, Karma) and a or the devil (Crimson King). Each side has players that are moved into action like pawns to play a huge game with the stakes being the destruction of the world. It isn't what the CK does, it is who and what he symbolizes for existence. Like always, King is writing about us or people being our own worst enemies when civilization breaks down into chaos and we can be swayed to do things we wouldn't normally do in a civilized environment. That is his favorite theme.

Fievel wrote:I've always hoped that the film versions of the Dark Tower have Roland carrying the Horn of Eld, showing that this version of the story is different from what the Constant Readers know. Not only will it allow a possible definitive ending (that will still piss people off) but it can be the excuse for any changes made to the story along the way.


I'm with you but the only problem to that is there would have to be a real ending and a real purpose to the room at the top of the tower. I wonder if King even has any clue as to what would really happen if Roland did it right. I always feel like King's endings are the weakest parts of the story.

Bloo wrote:Anyways, if King was in love with the idea of using Patrick, using him to defeat Flagg would have been better and much more in line with Flagg's prior defeats (at Thomas's hand in EotD, not seeing through Tom Cullen in The Stand


Nice connections there, cool way to look at it.
User avatar
justcheckin
AIRWOLF
 
Posts: 2751
Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:37 am
Location: Down the street, take a left.

Re: The Dark Tower

Postby Nice Marmot on Wed May 16, 2012 8:17 am

New Dark Tower website . . .

http://stephenking.com/darktower/
User avatar
Nice Marmot
REAL DRAGON
 
Posts: 411
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:26 pm

Re: The Dark Tower

Postby justcheckin on Sun May 20, 2012 3:39 pm

Ok, I'm catching up with you guys... I am at the part where he is telling the Wind Through the Keyhole story to the kid. I really like it so far.



Nice Marmot wrote:New Dark Tower website . . .

http://stephenking.com/darktower/



I played the discordia game... it's sort of frustrating but has cool graphics. It isn't a very long game though.
User avatar
justcheckin
AIRWOLF
 
Posts: 2751
Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:37 am
Location: Down the street, take a left.

Re: The Dark Tower

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Sun May 20, 2012 8:46 pm

So for the past three weeks or so I've started the series over. I've read The Gunslinger twice (original and revised), The Drawing of the Three and I just finished The Waste Lands. I'd say out of those first three, Waste Lands is the strongest. It has a lot of cool shit going on and that ending cannot be fucked with.

I still don't care much for the revised Gunslinger. Allie begging Roland to shoot her instead of Roland simply shooting her as a reflex is dumb (this is King's "Greedo shoots first"). Referencing Algul Siento this early in the series is dumb. Roland using Calla-speak this early makes no sense and is dumb (plus, I'm still sick of reading that shit and I haven't even looked at Wolves in almost a decade). Roland is also somehow on the Path of the Beam right from the beginning. Not only is this dumb, but it is just completely wrong. King did the revision to help fix some of the inconsistencies with the other books and then creates a massive fucking plot hole right out the gate. Then there are the little nods to stuff we learn about in later books that stand out like a sore thumb. Roland will be in the middle of doing something and then he'll find himself thinking about some shit that popped up in Wizard and Glass or something. That might be fine for somebody who has already read the series, but for a new-comer is must be pretty distracting. "Why the fuck can't this gunslinger guy focus? He's all over the place!"

The Gunslinger isn't a perfect book, but at least it knows what the fuck it is and has the decency to pick a direction and stick with it. The revision seems a little too preoccupied with referencing the other books when it should be focused on the story being told.

And, really, NINETEEN? NINETEEN? Fuuuuuck you!

This was maybe the third time I've read Drawing of the Three and it felt the most uneven to me. Well, not uneven exactly, but it kinda peaks with the shootout at Balazar's, which is a third of the way into the book. The rest is fine, but it seemed like King was really pushing it toward the end. After they get to the third door I felt like I was being dragged to the finish line with the Jack Mort stuff. Also, I know King likes to say that continuity errors in these books are actually clues (different realities? Time being funny and whatnot?). I always figured that was mostly a lot of crap to try to explain some timeline fuck-ups and it always bugged me in Drawing of the Three. However, the discrepancies here are pretty fucking big, so I guess I gotta give him the benefit of the doubt here, since I'm pretty sure he'd have noticed that Odetta gets pushed in front of the train both in 1959 and 1973/74. Or that Eddie has apparently been a heroin addict since he was twelve or so. Or that business in The Waste Lands about Henry joining the army after Vietnam. Shit like that.

Still. Kinda bugs me.

Overall, though, it's been fun going back and getting reacquainted with these books. Plus, Wizard and Glass is next. And I love me some Wizard and Glass.
Image
User avatar
caruso_stalker217
TOO AGED FOR THIS MALARKEY
 
Posts: 9783
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2007 6:03 pm
Location: Oregon, US of A

Re: The Dark Tower

Postby justcheckin on Mon May 21, 2012 9:38 pm

I finished it... very cool. Very short... kinda sad that it was so short. The story about Tim and the starkblast was the best part of the book.
User avatar
justcheckin
AIRWOLF
 
Posts: 2751
Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:37 am
Location: Down the street, take a left.

Re: The Dark Tower

Postby Bloo on Mon May 21, 2012 9:56 pm

justcheckin wrote:I finished it... very cool. Very short... kinda sad that it was so short. The story about Tim and the starkblast was the best part of the book.


yeah I wish it was longer too
Image
User avatar
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN
 
Posts: 9668
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2007 4:26 pm
Location: Kansas, home of the Bacon Explosion

Re: The Dark Tower

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Mon May 21, 2012 10:24 pm

Bloo wrote:yeah I wish it was longer too


That's what she said.
Image
User avatar
caruso_stalker217
TOO AGED FOR THIS MALARKEY
 
Posts: 9783
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2007 6:03 pm
Location: Oregon, US of A

Re: The Dark Tower

Postby TheBaxter on Tue May 22, 2012 9:17 am

Bloo wrote:
justcheckin wrote:I finished it... very cool. Very short... kinda sad that it was so short. The story about Tim and the starkblast was the best part of the book.


yeah I wish it was longer too


mark this date down in history. this may be the first time anyone has ever said this about a Stephen King book.
Image
User avatar
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger
 
Posts: 18598
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 5:00 pm

Re: The Dark Tower

Postby justcheckin on Tue May 22, 2012 9:17 pm

caruso_stalker217 wrote:
Bloo wrote:yeah I wish it was longer too


That's what she said.


BAWhahahahaha


TheBaxter wrote:
Bloo wrote:
justcheckin wrote:I finished it... very cool. Very short... kinda sad that it was so short. The story about Tim and the starkblast was the best part of the book.


yeah I wish it was longer too


mark this date down in history. this may be the first time anyone has ever said this about a Stephen King book.


So true, I've often thought his short stories have been his better writing. I wish some of those were longer and then some of the longer ones were shorter. This book read more like a short story in a short story in a short story. I imagine he probably talks alot. :twisted:
User avatar
justcheckin
AIRWOLF
 
Posts: 2751
Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:37 am
Location: Down the street, take a left.

Re: The Dark Tower

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Tue May 22, 2012 10:30 pm

I'm about a third of the way through Wizard and Glass. This is probably the fastest I've ever read this book. Just got past the part with the standoff in the saloon. It gave me mega-raging huge boners. I personally think this may be King's strongest writing.

BECAUSE OF THE BONERS!

I also picked up The Wind Through the Keyhole audiobook on compact disc for ear-reading today. I don't know why. I've never listened to an audiobook before and I'm curious if I can go the whole ten hours of King droning away. Think I might start listening to it around the time I get started on the fucking Wolves of the Calla. I'm hope that one is less boring the second time around.
Image
User avatar
caruso_stalker217
TOO AGED FOR THIS MALARKEY
 
Posts: 9783
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2007 6:03 pm
Location: Oregon, US of A

Re: The Dark Tower

Postby Wolfpack on Tue May 22, 2012 11:21 pm

caruso_stalker217 wrote:I'm about a third of the way through Wizard and Glass. This is probably the fastest I've ever read this book. Just got past the part with the standoff in the saloon. It gave me mega-raging huge boners. I personally think this may be King's strongest writing.

BECAUSE OF THE BONERS!

I also picked up The Wind Through the Keyhole audiobook on compact disc for ear-reading today. I don't know why. I've never listened to an audiobook before and I'm curious if I can go the whole ten hours of King droning away. Think I might start listening to it around the time I get started on the fucking Wolves of the Calla. I'm hope that one is less boring the second time around.


I listened to King's narration on the Bag of Bones audiobook. He did alright.

And if the saloon scene gives you boners, there are certain passages in that book, where you might as well not bother with the 4 hours. Just notify your doctor right away.
"Alright Shaggy - you and Scooby head over that way. The girls and I will go this way."
User avatar
Wolfpack
AIRWOLF
 
Posts: 2607
Joined: Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:48 am
Location: Asheville, NC

Re: The Dark Tower

Postby Fievel on Wed May 23, 2012 1:26 am

I'm currently listening to King read Wind Through the Keyhole. I'd say that 98% of the King books I've read have been via audiobook, and listening to the DT series for the first time was so much fun. This book, while good, isn't as easy to listen to because of King. The rest of the (updated) DT series is read by Frank Muller and George Guidell. King is no Muller, nor is he Guidell. He has no range in his voice, so his characters pretty much sound the same. Muller's voice was amazing if you haven't heard him read, and Guidell (while no Muller) isn't bad. I liked King's reading of Bag of Bones, but he's almost out of his league putting a voice to Roland.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
User avatar
Fievel
Mouse Of The House
 
Posts: 11948
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:07 pm
Location: White Lake, MI

Re: The Dark Tower

Postby justcheckin on Wed May 23, 2012 9:42 pm

Fievel wrote:I'm currently listening to King read Wind Through the Keyhole. I'd say that 98% of the King books I've read have been via audiobook, and listening to the DT series for the first time was so much fun. This book, while good, isn't as easy to listen to because of King. The rest of the (updated) DT series is read by Frank Muller and George Guidell. King is no Muller, nor is he Guidell. He has no range in his voice, so his characters pretty much sound the same. Muller's voice was amazing if you haven't heard him read, and Guidell (while no Muller) isn't bad. I liked King's reading of Bag of Bones, but he's almost out of his league putting a voice to Roland.


Oh, If I had bought that, I'd have been pissed. LOL Glad I just bought the book. King read the middle part of Hearts in Atlantis and you are right, he isn't bad. However, I love a good reader who can be his opposite gender character and it work really well.
User avatar
justcheckin
AIRWOLF
 
Posts: 2751
Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:37 am
Location: Down the street, take a left.

Re: The Dark Tower

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Wed May 23, 2012 10:42 pm

I'm digging King's reading so far. The swearing is pretty amusing, but I'm a child.
Image
User avatar
caruso_stalker217
TOO AGED FOR THIS MALARKEY
 
Posts: 9783
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2007 6:03 pm
Location: Oregon, US of A

Re: The Dark Tower

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Sat May 26, 2012 1:30 am

So I finished the audio version of The Wind Through the Keyhole. It was a very pleasant experience. I think I'm gonna try "reading" more books this way.

The audio book also includes King reading the first chapter of the Shining sequel. It's a good start, but according to the synopsis the rest of the book will be fucking horrible.
Image
User avatar
caruso_stalker217
TOO AGED FOR THIS MALARKEY
 
Posts: 9783
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2007 6:03 pm
Location: Oregon, US of A

Re: The Dark Tower

Postby Fievel on Sat May 26, 2012 1:36 am

caruso_stalker217 wrote:So I finished the audio version of The Wind Through the Keyhole. It was a very pleasant experience. I think I'm gonna try "reading" more books this way.

The audio book also includes King reading the first chapter of the Shining sequel. It's a good start, but according to the synopsis the rest of the book will be fucking horrible.


:lol: :lol:
I tried to listen to The Shining (Cambell Scott reads it) and had to stop. The reader is so fucking monotone that it just killed any desire to listen to the story. So that's still on my list of King to get through.

If you're going to check out more King audio, obviously the rest of the DT series is good, but The Talisman and Black House are great "listens" as well.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
User avatar
Fievel
Mouse Of The House
 
Posts: 11948
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:07 pm
Location: White Lake, MI

Re: The Dark Tower

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Sat May 26, 2012 1:50 am

Fievel wrote:
caruso_stalker217 wrote:So I finished the audio version of The Wind Through the Keyhole. It was a very pleasant experience. I think I'm gonna try "reading" more books this way.

The audio book also includes King reading the first chapter of the Shining sequel. It's a good start, but according to the synopsis the rest of the book will be fucking horrible.


:lol: :lol:
I tried to listen to The Shining (Cambell Scott reads it) and had to stop. The reader is so fucking monotone that it just killed any desire to listen to the story. So that's still on my list of King to get through.

If you're going to check out more King audio, obviously the rest of the DT series is good, but The Talisman and Black House are great "listens" as well.


I'll definitely give the other Dark Tower books a listen...eventually. I'm kinda looking forward to re-reading the last three, which were at times moving and also shit. In more or less equal measures, although shit may have won out in the end. Anyway, it's been eight or nine years so maybe it'll go smoother now that I know what to expect. Hopefully it won't take me a year to read Wolves of the Calla this time, which goes to show you how much I enjoyed that fucker.

The Talisman would be interesting to listen to. That's a favorite of mine.
Image
User avatar
caruso_stalker217
TOO AGED FOR THIS MALARKEY
 
Posts: 9783
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2007 6:03 pm
Location: Oregon, US of A

Re: The Dark Tower

Postby Bloo on Sun May 27, 2012 2:49 am

One of these days I'll read both The Talisman and Black House. I have both and have gotten about half way through both, but never have finished either one.
Image
User avatar
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN
 
Posts: 9668
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2007 4:26 pm
Location: Kansas, home of the Bacon Explosion

Re: The Dark Tower

Postby justcheckin on Sun May 27, 2012 11:06 am

Bloo wrote:One of these days I'll read both The Talisman and Black House. I have both and have gotten about half way through both, but never have finished either one.


You can't read them at the same time. :P
User avatar
justcheckin
AIRWOLF
 
Posts: 2751
Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:37 am
Location: Down the street, take a left.

Re: The Dark Tower

Postby Bloo on Sun May 27, 2012 5:57 pm

justcheckin wrote:
Bloo wrote:One of these days I'll read both The Talisman and Black House. I have both and have gotten about half way through both, but never have finished either one.


You can't read them at the same time. :P


You can't tell me what to do you're not my mother
Image
User avatar
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN
 
Posts: 9668
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2007 4:26 pm
Location: Kansas, home of the Bacon Explosion

Re: The Dark Tower

Postby justcheckin on Sun May 27, 2012 7:48 pm

Bloo wrote:
justcheckin wrote:
Bloo wrote:One of these days I'll read both The Talisman and Black House. I have both and have gotten about half way through both, but never have finished either one.


You can't read them at the same time. :P


You can't tell me what to do you're not my mother


Thank gawd... I'd be old.
User avatar
justcheckin
AIRWOLF
 
Posts: 2751
Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:37 am
Location: Down the street, take a left.

Re: The Dark Tower

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Tue May 29, 2012 7:31 pm

After almost a decade of finding better things to do I have begun to re-read Wolves of the Calla. I was not familiar with Seven Samurai or The Magnificent Seven when I first read this. I still haven't seen Magnificent Seven, but Seven Samurai is now a favorite of mine. So I can see that influence really clearly now and I think the prologue of this book is pretty legit, with Father Callahan showing up and being a cool old guy and shit.

I'm now almost two hundred pages into this thing and I'm past the part where the ka-tet is planning to save the universe by negotiating a big real estate deal.

I can't imagine why this book never did anything for me.
Image
User avatar
caruso_stalker217
TOO AGED FOR THIS MALARKEY
 
Posts: 9783
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2007 6:03 pm
Location: Oregon, US of A

Re: The Dark Tower

Postby justcheckin on Tue May 29, 2012 9:56 pm

caruso_stalker217 wrote:After almost a decade of finding better things to do I have begun to re-read Wolves of the Calla. I was not familiar with Seven Samurai or The Magnificent Seven when I first read this. I still haven't seen Magnificent Seven, but Seven Samurai is now a favorite of mine. So I can see that influence really clearly now and I think the prologue of this book is pretty legit, with Father Callahan showing up and being a cool old guy and shit.

I'm now almost two hundred pages into this thing and I'm past the part where the ka-tet is planning to save the universe by negotiating a big real estate deal.

I can't imagine why this book never did anything for me.


The first time I read Wolves of the Calla, I felt like it was side tracking the story from the quest of the Darktower and by this book, I was ready to know what was going to happen. The second and third times, I've really enjoyed it. Especially all the little tidbits that reference dumb stuff that have nothing to do with anything really. I had to read Salem's Lot after this and then go back and re-read this one to get the whole Father Callahan story. Salem's Lot is a crappy book. :twisted:

I had already read Hearts in Atlantis before Darktower got to Ted Brautigan so I knew his story. I had also already read IT and Insomnia so that was good for connecting Dandelo and Patrick Danville.
User avatar
justcheckin
AIRWOLF
 
Posts: 2751
Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:37 am
Location: Down the street, take a left.

Re: The Dark Tower

Postby Fievel on Wed May 30, 2012 12:39 am

caruso_stalker217 wrote:I'm now almost two hundred pages into this thing and I'm past the part where the ka-tet is planning to save the universe by negotiating a big real estate deal.

I can't imagine why this book never did anything for me.


:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

justcheckin wrote:Salem's Lot is a crappy book.

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

I got into the DT series about a year before book 5 came out and read Salem's Lot between books 4&5 knowing that Callahan would be in Book 5. It helped gain a lot of appreciation for the character. Book 5 also helped me find a new appreciation for Elton John's "Someone Saved My Life Tonight," which helped me get into old Elton John (Tumbleweed Connection.... awesome).
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
User avatar
Fievel
Mouse Of The House
 
Posts: 11948
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:07 pm
Location: White Lake, MI

Re: The Dark Tower

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Thu May 31, 2012 1:12 am

Fievel wrote:
caruso_stalker217 wrote:I'm now almost two hundred pages into this thing and I'm past the part where the ka-tet is planning to save the universe by negotiating a big real estate deal.

I can't imagine why this book never did anything for me.


:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

justcheckin wrote:Salem's Lot is a crappy book.

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

I got into the DT series about a year before book 5 came out and read Salem's Lot between books 4&5 knowing that Callahan would be in Book 5. It helped gain a lot of appreciation for the character. Book 5 also helped me find a new appreciation for Elton John's "Someone Saved My Life Tonight," which helped me get into old Elton John (Tumbleweed Connection.... awesome).



I've read 'Salem's Lot twice this year. I think it's pretty good, but it's got some pretty crummy dialogue.

I'm now into the "Callahan's Soup Kitchen Adventures" portion of Wolves and I'm actually enjoying it this time.
Image
User avatar
caruso_stalker217
TOO AGED FOR THIS MALARKEY
 
Posts: 9783
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2007 6:03 pm
Location: Oregon, US of A

PreviousNext

Return to AICN Books

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests