The Dark Tower

This forum caters to our literary tastes.

Re: The Dark Tower

Postby Fievel on Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:43 pm

Interesting thought.... the comics retell, and then take place after, the story told in Book 4.
If events in the comics change the outcome, this thought will be useless... but it might be interesting for one to read all the comics after reading Book 4 and then go on to Book 5.

There is a definite shift once Book 5 starts. A lot of people think of 5-7 as one really, REALLY long book.
1-4 pretty much stand on their own in comparison.
I was going to start listening to a new audiobook soon, but I think I'll revisit this series.
It's been almost 5 years now.
I'm ready to return to Roland's world.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Hermanator X on Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:31 am

@tfactor

The flaw in your brothers description of the end is that the first book doesnt begin on a beach.

Please dont read this next bit if you have not finished the books. It concerns movie adaptation, but is a bit spoilery...
For any possible movies, I like the idea that they could be the next revolution of KA. So not quite straight up adapting the books, but making slight changes as if this time its done differently. If used right, that premise could be amazing. Giving us who have read the series something new, without complaining that they arent truly faithful to the books.Also maybe being able to bypass the Stephen King meets Roland portions, which I thought were ok in the book, but could potentially make a movie adaptation implode.
Im not talking radical changes, merely some diversions. Really the ending of the book to me, just this instant opens up this idea, and I hope im not just waffling on. I see a bigger better potential than I had seen before, and I just hope that whoever is trying to adapt it, JJ etc, have a similar idea in mind. Or read this board... haha.

I havent read any of the comics, as I havent had the opportunity to pick em up, but I will keep an eye out for them.
...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Postby Chairman Kaga on Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:03 am

Hermanator X wrote:@tfactor

The flaw in your brothers description of the end is that the first book doesnt begin on a beach.

Please dont read this next bit if you have not finished the books. It concerns movie adaptation, but is a bit spoilery...
For any possible movies, I like the idea that they could be the next revolution of KA. So not quite straight up adapting the books, but making slight changes as if this time its done differently. If used right, that premise could be amazing. Giving us who have read the series something new, without complaining that they arent truly faithful to the books.Also maybe being able to bypass the Stephen King meets Roland portions, which I thought were ok in the book, but could potentially make a movie adaptation implode.
Im not talking radical changes, merely some diversions. Really the ending of the book to me, just this instant opens up this idea, and I hope im not just waffling on. I see a bigger better potential than I had seen before, and I just hope that whoever is trying to adapt it, JJ etc, have a similar idea in mind. Or read this board... haha.

I havent read any of the comics, as I havent had the opportunity to pick em up, but I will keep an eye out for them.

Don't read this if you haven't finished the 7 King books.
I agree that the comics and the film could each be different revolutions of the wheel but I still think the Roland meeting King bit would be necessary. Too much about the Tet corporation, Jake's death, the walk-ins, insight into Patrick Danville and the Crimson King relate to that sequence. Plus I think it would be interesting to see an actor's take on the younger drunker King as well as the car accident.
Go fuck yourself.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DaleTremont on Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:18 am

Ahh crap I feel bad for not reading Last Unicorn but anyway right now I'm reading Stephen King's Dark Tower series and thoroughly (thoroughly!) enjoying it. I'm on the second book now and I think it's just getting better. He's best when he doesn't try to emulate Tolkien with all that fantasy quest stuff and just embraces the weirdness of things like the shootout in Tull and the Italian mafioso in New York.

I know he's pretty much modeled after Aragorn and Clint Eastwood but Roland is my fucking hero!
DaleTremont
Loincloth Bronson

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:05 am

Wizard and Glass is where it's at.
caruso_stalker217
TOO AGED FOR THIS MALARKEY

Postby Bloo on Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:17 am

Wizard and Glass easily the best of the series, and not just because part of it takes place in my part of the woods
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby DaleTremont on Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:04 am

Yay! Something to look forward to :D
DaleTremont
Loincloth Bronson

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:18 am

One of the few books that makes me want to cry like a big ole girl.
caruso_stalker217

Postby Bloo on Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:58 am

DaleTremont wrote:Yay! Something to look forward to :D

make sure you share your thoughts
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby Crimson King on Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:18 pm

LOVE it. I read The Drawing of the Three in one day. A feat I've not accomplished before or since. I absolutely loved that book...well, except for the whole Detta/Odetta thing, 'cause she was such a fucking BITCH.

And yes Wizard and Glass is amazing. Had me nearly in tears. Stephen King is the fucking man.
English, motherfucker! Do you speak it?!?
Crimson King
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby Bloo on Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:26 pm

speaking of King, did you all read that he was dogging on Stephanie Myers (of TWILIGHT) said

can't write worth a darn

I liked Twilight, but thought that was hilarious
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby The Todd on Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:41 pm

Bloo wrote:speaking of King, did you all read that he was dogging on Stephanie Myers (of TWILIGHT) said

can't write worth a darn

I liked Twilight, but thought that was hilarious

The Todd has heard the same criticism of other people as well...
i reject your reality and substitute my own
The Todd
AIRWOLF

Postby The Vicar on Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:22 pm

Meyers is a bargain basement Whedon-thief.
Hack.
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby Ribbons on Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:11 pm

I dunno, yo; I've been curious about this because it seems to be popular but it sounds a little complicated to me. I think I'll just wait for the inevitable movies...
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Fievel on Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:13 pm

You're curious.... that's always the first step.
Try the first book. It's a pretty quick read, being the shortest of the seven.
Then try the next book and see how different it is.
If you're confused/frustrated/bored by the end of that one, then wait for the movies.

But that's just one DT junkie's opinion.
I'm currently on book 3 of a reread (okay, relisten of the audiobook).

edit- And I'll tell you, you're thoughts of "seems complicated" was something that had me put it off until I couldn't find any more Stephen King audiobooks that intrigued me.
About halfway through the first book I knew I'd be along for the entire ride.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Ribbons on Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:23 pm

But it's so long! I just don't know if I can make that kind of a commitment!
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Fievel on Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:45 pm

Ribbons wrote:But it's so long! I just don't know if I can make that kind of a commitment!

Haha!
It's not like a woman.
You can put it down as long as you like and when you come back it's still there waiting for you.

I had the luxury of a 90 mile (each way) commute 3 times a week and was able to use books/series like this to pass the time.
I can imagine thinking about the total page count and just opting to read a leaflet entitled "Famous Jewish Sports Legends" instead.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby TheBaxter on Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:49 pm

Ribbons wrote:But it's so long!

that's what she said!

that never gets old
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:04 am

Can you believe that Colonel Lugz nominated Shia Le Bouf to play The Gunslinger? Seriusly I thought he was joking, but he insisted that he meant it. Plus David Tennant as The Man In Black? Someone tell me that you guys have a brain out there and disagree!?!?!!?

Me and Colonel have now split up over this.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Fievel on Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:16 pm

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:Can you believe that Colonel Lugz nominated Shia Le Bouf to play The Gunslinger? Seriusly I thought he was joking, but he insisted that he meant it. Plus David Tennant as The Man In Black? Someone tell me that you guys have a brain out there and disagree!?!?!!?

Me and Colonel have now split up over this.

Lugz needs rehab.
Tennant as TMIB isn't that bad, though.

Josh Holloway still gets my man-love for Roland..... in a few years.

Shia could be Eddie though. Actually, I think he'd be a great Eddie.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Re: Re:

Postby Fievel on Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:19 pm

Fievel wrote:
Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:Thanks for the connected books list, Fiev! I'll read that page in full later on. That's a big list there. I was gonna ask what fantasy elements are incorporated into this world but it looks like that link will do this for me. I was dissapointed more dark fantasy in the Territories in The Talisman wasn't shown - I coulda torn sh*t outta the 'Hell' environment that Jack transported him and Wolf to for a short moment - but I hope The Dark Tower might fill in some of this.

I hope if I ever read The Gunslinger, it will be satisfactory for me to stay the course. Only one way to find out I suppose.

Kirks... if, okay, when you come back I'm curious to know if you ever ended up reading this.

Apparently you did? Thoughts? Did you read any of the related books as a result?
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Re: Re:

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:32 pm

Fievel wrote:
Fievel wrote:
Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:Thanks for the connected books list, Fiev! I'll read that page in full later on. That's a big list there. I was gonna ask what fantasy elements are incorporated into this world but it looks like that link will do this for me. I was dissapointed more dark fantasy in the Territories in The Talisman wasn't shown - I coulda torn sh*t outta the 'Hell' environment that Jack transported him and Wolf to for a short moment - but I hope The Dark Tower might fill in some of this.

I hope if I ever read The Gunslinger, it will be satisfactory for me to stay the course. Only one way to find out I suppose.

Kirks... if, okay, when you come back I'm curious to know if you ever ended up reading this.

Apparently you did? Thoughts? Did you read any of the related books as a result?

HEYOOO! Good one. Yeah I am now just started The Waste Lands. The Gunslinger was great, but I really loved The Drawing f the Three. I know I haven't read many books ,but I love the way that from the get go, even though the book spends LOADS of pages explaining a tiny scene where it seems not a lot happens, I couldn't believe how much this book just FLEW by and how it was the first book that I just could not stop reading, it was like my eyes could not keep up with my mind when reading this. Just such a fast read.

The beginning of The Waste Lands is even faster, even though it's at page 66 or so, just after encountering the bear. I only stopped reading as I HAD t go to bed for an important appointment the following day, otherwise, God knows how else I would have stopped. I love Roland, The Gunslinger. He is the guy we wanna be, no? Though right now his insanity over Jake is starting, shows just how much more exciting his interior workings will become hopefully. It seems that King has become whatever master storyteller people call him as he really IS the characters he writes, he gets into their skull so insightfully. I love 'Susannah' and Eddie thoroughly as well.

So roll on the rest of the story, looks like I'm strapped in for the whole ride now....! :) :) :)
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Fievel on Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:45 pm

Awesome.

I'm on my second trip through the series (listening to audiobooks) and am on the fourth book.
I forgot how much cool stuff happens in the third book. After my initial trip through, I thought of the third book as sort of a throw-away book that just filled the space between books 2 & 4.
But no, cool stuff happening there.

Enjoy the journey!!!
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:49 pm

Fievel wrote:Awesome.

I'm on my second trip through the series (listening to audiobooks) and am on the fourth book.
I forgot how much cool stuff happens in the third book. After my initial trip through, I thought of the third book as sort of a throw-away book that just filled the space between books 2 & 4.

Enjoy the journey!!!

So you did ALL the books then? You tried the graphic novels too, yet?
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Fievel on Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:54 pm

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:

Enjoy the journey!!!

Yeah... did all the DT books, the related books (The Stand, Talisman/Black House, 'Salem's Lot, etc.), and am along for the ride on the graphic novels, too.
The first set of GN's recaps stories from The Gunslinger and Wizard & Glass, but the rest of the GN's are all new stories. I'm liking them so far.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:58 pm

Fievel wrote:
Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:

Enjoy the journey!!!

Yeah... did all the DT books, the related books (The Stand, Talisman/Black House, 'Salem's Lot, etc.), and am along for the ride on the graphic novels, too.
The first set of GN's recaps stories from The Gunslinger and Wizard & Glass, but the rest of the GN's are all new stories. I'm liking them so far.

Aaaahhhaaaaaaahhh!! Spin offs. Lugz will be interested too. But he can sod off if he draws a pic of Shia as Roland.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Fievel on Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:00 pm

Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Fievel on Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:01 pm

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:
Fievel wrote:
Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:

Enjoy the journey!!!

Aaaahhhaaaaaaahhh!! Spin offs. Lugz will be interested too. But he can sod off if he draws a pic of Shia as Roland.

It's only when he gets a large tattoo on his back of Shia as Roland that you need to be concerned.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:22 pm

Just finished The Wastelands - and when I put the book down finally, I felt disappointed. But not in the book being disappointing, on the contrary. I was 'feeling' disappointed as with all good things, it was all over. If that makes sense.

Yeah it had ups and downs of drama then where not much happened but MAN, when Jake gets kidnapped and Roland has to rescue him - man I was shitting myself there and found the book frustrating - as I couldn't read it and turn the pages fast enough to find out what would happen - me being new to books I guess this is the best sign of all of a good read! I was nervous mostly though, as I was scared of what would happen to Oy mostly! I know it's about the humans but you just know that this animal is just getting in over his head maybe.

Anyway guys, don't tell me what happens next or give me any hints. I'll get on Wizard and Glass asap. I just hope we get to see more of the Hell that was in the REAL Wastelands after Lud. It's becoming more on a par of such fantasy stuff as LOTR as the novels progress it seems, from what little I now of the LOTR books themselves, that is.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Fievel on Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:13 pm

Now... especially with the ending of that book.... imagine having to wait 6 years to know what happens next!!!
I give a lot of credit to the people that started the series when it actually began way back in the day. How frustrating it had to have been to wait years upon years between books. I started the series a couple of months before Book 5 came out, and then the books came out about every 6 months. No big deal.

But The Wastelands.... it's books like that where I really want to see them made into movies (or an HBO series) under capable hands. There is so much imagery in that book specifically that I'd love to see come to life. King isn't the world's greatest author by any means, not even in a contemporary setting. They guy usually can't write an ending to save his own life. But the pictures the guy paints with his words are every emotion that could come to mind - exciting, frightening, amazing, fantastic, etc. etc. That is where he shines the most, along with his building of characters.

I'm about a book ahead of you (audiobook) and am nearing the end of Wizard & Glass.
Enjoy!..... and wear a cup when you read.... you'll get kicked square in the nuts a few times in this book.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:29 pm

Fievel wrote:Now... especially with the ending of that book.... imagine having to wait 6 years to know what happens next!!!
I give a lot of credit to the people that started the series when it actually began way back in the day. How frustrating it had to have been to wait years upon years between books. I started the series a couple of months before Book 5 came out, and then the books came out about every 6 months. No big deal.

But The Wastelands.... it's books like that where I really want to see them made into movies (or an HBO series) under capable hands. There is so much imagery in that book specifically that I'd love to see come to life. King isn't the world's greatest author by any means, not even in a contemporary setting. They guy usually can't write an ending to save his own life. But the pictures the guy paints with his words are every emotion that could come to mind - exciting, frightening, amazing, fantastic, etc. etc. That is where he shines the most, along with his building of characters.

I'm about a book ahead of you (audiobook) and am nearing the end of Wizard & Glass.
Enjoy!..... and wear a cup when you read.... you'll get kicked square in the nuts a few times in this book.

Good! Thanks for not telling me anymore as well!

6 years though!? MAN!! No bloody WAY!!!!!! Crying out loud I can't believe how you could live with that. I give them credit for sticking with it too. No wonder King said something in the 19 bit in his books - I THINK - about people who wanted to stay alive or something or who decided not to commit suicide, one of the reasons being that they wanted to read the next instalment.

I can see what Lugz means when he said that Rolan is his hero. I can see him becoming more and more the guy that we all wanna be and henceforth, OUR hero too. Roland that is, not bloody Lugz. The Indy Jones thing of that Mr Capable when others aren't is there, whenever we are in the shit, and we normally say 'what would so and so do?' or 'I wish so and so could come and save us'. Well now we're calling so and so Roland more and more now. Well I am from reading these books.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Fievel on Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:34 pm

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:
Fievel wrote:Now... especially with the ending of that book.... imagine having to wait 6 years to know what happens next!!!

Good! Thanks for not telling me anymore as well!

6 years though!? MAN!! No bloody WAY!!!!!! Crying out loud I can't believe how you could live with that. I give them credit for sticking with it too. No wonder King said something in the 19 bit in his books - I THINK - about people who wanted to stay alive or something or who decided not to commit suicide, one of the reasons being that they wanted to read the next instalment.

I can see what Lugz means when he said that Rolan is his hero. I can see him becoming more and more the guy that we all wanna be and henceforth, OUR hero too. Roland that is, not bloody Lugz. The Indy Jones thing of that Mr Capable when others aren't is there, whenever we are in the shit, and we normally say 'what would so and so do?' or 'I wish so and so could come and save us'. Well now we're calling so and so Roland more and more now. Well I am from reading these books.

At least in the audiobooks, King tends to tell what's going to happen in the next installment and sticks to his word quite well.

He tells/told a story of a woman who was terminally ill who wanted to know the fate of Roland and his ka-tet... only to have King at the time tell her that he honestly didn't know. Sucked to be her.... unless she was lying. But between the publication of the first (debuted in a magazine in '78) and last installment (Book 7, 2004) there was a span of 26 years. That's rough. And then add in all the books/stories that relate to the saga that came out during that time and the shit gets deep..... quickly.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby LadyHitchhiker on Sat Apr 25, 2009 5:37 pm

I am a huge tower junkie!!!!! I'm so glad to find another place to discuss this series!
LadyHitchhiker
GLIB

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Sat Apr 25, 2009 5:53 pm

Please do. Raise points, gush your love for characters and your fave books of the series here, asks questions.

I'll start...

How do you think Jake could have all those foreseeings or instincts in The Wastelands when he was walking about still 'dead' in New York? Stuff like Charlie the Choo Choo or whatever his name was?

(By the way, I've yet to read Wizard and Glass so of ALL Spoilers to be aware of, please don't ruin any of THEM for me!!!)
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Nachokoolaid on Sat Apr 25, 2009 11:49 pm

I'm reading THE DRAWING OF THE THREE right now and it's kicking a lot of ass. I'm about 90 pages in (Eddie is in Customs explaining his "allergies") and it's ten times better than THE GUNSLINGER. Glad I didn't give up on this series.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby Fievel on Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:51 am

Nachokoolaid wrote:I'm reading THE DRAWING OF THE THREE right now and it's kicking a lot of ass. I'm about 90 pages in (Eddie is in Customs explaining his "allergies") and it's ten times better than THE GUNSLINGER. Glad I didn't give up on this series.

Nacho - The first four books in this series are so ridiculously different in style and scope that it's impossible to compare them (the final three are almost one really long book broken up into three parts compared to the first four). I'm glad you didn't give up after The Gunslinger. I loved that book when I first read (okay, listened to) it but actually dreaded the thought of more books, and longer books, being variations of the first book. Not the case.

LadyHitchhiker wrote:I am a huge tower junkie!!!!! I'm so glad to find another place to discuss this series!

Welcome LadyHitchhiker! You'll find a few members here more than willing to discuss the Dark Tower series.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Sun Apr 26, 2009 1:29 am

Man, I love the whole airport scene with Eddie. That book is the shit. Read it in one sitting on a family trip the first time.
caruso_stalker217

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Sun Apr 26, 2009 3:27 am

The whole thing with Eddie when he's carrying the drugs, is that, MAN, it takes so maaany pages for the whole thing to happen and be done with - but man those pages are so fast and exciting a read, and even though it takes so long, it feels like so much is going on throughout. Even small stuff that I would have thought would be well boring, like the sandwich and stewardess, are so suspenseful. All of Eddie's getting into New York is such a frustrating read, in a good way, - in that, along with some scenes near the end of The Wastelands, you really want to read so much faster so many pages before you find out how it all gets resolved. Now THAT'S movies! Er, I mean, READING!!!!!!
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Sat May 23, 2009 9:15 pm

So I'm about a third of the way through Wizard and Glass, just after the moment where Roland kisses Susan by the Drop. Did people say that his is maybe their favourite book? Sheeezh forfuxake!!! This book is SOOO farking BOOORRRRINNNNGGGG!!!!! When does something happen here? Hurry the fark up, drama!!!
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Sat May 23, 2009 9:30 pm

CAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALM the fuck down. You just need to read about seven hundred more pages before something actually happens.
caruso_stalker217

Postby Fievel on Sat May 23, 2009 10:59 pm

caruso_stalker217 wrote:CAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALM the fuck down. You just need to read about seven hundred more pages before something actually happens.

What he said.
It is very slow, but then all of a sudden you get to the point where you realize it was all a ridiculously slow build up.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Sun May 24, 2009 3:48 am

Fievel wrote:
caruso_stalker217 wrote:CAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALM the fuck down. You just need to read about seven hundred more pages before something actually happens.

What he said.
It is very slow, but then all of a sudden you get to the point where you realize it was all a ridiculously slow build up.

That, doesn't make mathematical sense. The factors of time or distance contradict one another.

And do you guys REALLY mean it about the 700 pages? You talking about the whole The Dark Tower story or exaggerating on Wizard and Glass?
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Fievel on Sun May 24, 2009 11:45 am

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:
Fievel wrote:

What he said.

That, doesn't make mathematical sense. The factors of time or distance contradict one another.

And do you guys REALLY mean it about the 700 pages? You talking about the whole The Dark Tower story or exaggerating on Wizard and Glass?

Time moves differently in the Tower books! :D

I have no idea how many pages.... I listened to it.
I have no idea how I was the first time around, but having just listened to W&G a month or so ago... the part you're at is nothing but a slow tension-builder. You'll get pissed because nothing major is happening... You'll get pissed at the itch of the slowly-building tension.... You'll get frustrated that instead of that tension releasing, it just builds more... And in the end the payoff is absolutely worth it. Then Roland is done telling his stories and the book returns to the main characters and what happens there makes you say out loud "WHAT the FUCK is King on when he writes these books!?!?!?" So then you consult various sources of Stephen King history (the book "On Writing" is the best) and you find out the by the time he wrote W&G he was completely sober, so you just shrug and go on to the next book.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Brit Pop on Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:40 pm

So I started to read all the books again, and forgot how great they all are...

One thing though, for the eventual film adaptation...

"DOD-A-CHOCK... DUM-A-CHUM"

hope they get the sound of the lobstrosoties right!!!

Reading the books as a youth, it was years before I got that 'honk mahfah' meant what it actually meant! AAAaah, the innocence of youth!
Brit Pop
AIRWOLF

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:39 pm

Spoilers......

THEY KILLED SUSAAANN!!!!!!!!!!! :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P

I nearly threw up.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby RogueScribner on Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:19 pm

tfactor wrote:SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS! DO NOT READ THE NEXT PART UNLESS YOU KNOW HOW THIS STORY ENDS! You've been warned!

Hermanator X wrote:Please dont read this next bit if you have not finished the books. It concerns movie adaptation, but is a bit spoilery...

Chairman Kaga wrote:
Don't read this if you haven't finished the 7 King books.

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:Spoilers......

THEY KILLED SUSAAANN!!!!!!!!!!! :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P

I nearly threw up.

I don't think I should have read that. :shock:

:-P
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:27 pm

You meanie, Rogue. I'm already gonna have enough of a bad time sleeping tonight. :P

Oh Goard!!!! No no no no no no!!!!!!!!!!!!
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Fievel on Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:30 pm

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:THEY KILLED SUSAAANN!!!!!!!!!!! :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P

I nearly threw up.

Seriously? That surprised you?
They've been hinting towards that since the first book, I think.

One thing about King's style of writing that makes it hard even when you know it's eventually coming is the way he says things like "...and that's the last time he saw her alive." or something to that effect. I think King said something like that the last time Roland and Susan had sex.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:31 pm

Fievel wrote:
Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:THEY KILLED SUSAAANN!!!!!!!!!!! :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P

I nearly threw up.

Seriously? That surprised you?
They've been hinting towards that since the first book, I think.

One thing about King's style of writing that makes it hard even when you know it's eventually coming is the way he says things like "...and that's the last time he saw her alive." or something to that effect. I think King said something like that the last time Roland and Susan had sex.

100% with you there, Fievel. Though I did sort of get a blurry memory of what was said about Susan character in the first book, or I managed to keep it from coming back to my mind. Yeah I generally knew it was gonna go this way, though how exactly or what exactly happened, I did not know, plus you always have that room for hope in that King might be pulling a writer's technique or trick on you to make you think one thing when in fact you'd be wrong.

But sigh. Sigh. Sigh Sigh. Still, it finally did happen. Though the build up to it in the final scenes preceding it. The DREAD, the scream of despair when the plan went wrong, that was maybe worse than the final outcome which you had to sort of accept by then, even though the conclusion made me gag out loud for a long time when it DID. I think what made it worse for me was that the outcome was because of wretched and ugly EVIL (Rhea)- inflicting itself upon that which should not be touched - innocence, purity and beauty. I really felt that Bitch Witch reach inside Susan and CUT her. Rip from her. Oh such wretched ugliness ripping away such young beauty.

Aaaahhh I'm messed up., I gotta go to sleep now, but I'm gonna have a horrid time doing it. :P :P :P :P :P :P
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:46 am

I told you, man, the book takes a while to get rolling but when it does HOLY SHIT.

That part always bums me out, too. King is really good at building up that dread shit.
caruso_stalker217

PreviousNext

Return to AICN Books