The Dark Tower

This forum caters to our literary tastes.

Postby MonkeyM666 on Mon Apr 23, 2007 12:30 pm

Dee E. Goppstober wrote:The Dark Tower Series is the best. I wouldn't start off with it though, because then you miss all the references to his other books.

It would make a great movie too (isn't there a thread about that somewhere?). I remember reading here somewhere the opinion that King's stories don't translate well into film - but I think that's not true at all. The Shining (both versions) is good - and Carrie isn't bad, and Hearts in Atlantis is a little soppy, but not really a bad film either. Anyways - diverging from this thread's theme.

There sure is a thread about Books into Films. I keep saying Jasper Fford: Wednesday Next Series (not the new one... yuck!)....:)

I didn't realise that King referenced his other books in the Dark Tower series.... that may have something to do with the fact that I haven't read them, there's nothing too massive like The Dark towers lord is really a clown or something??? Man I hope not!
MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fievel on Mon Apr 23, 2007 12:39 pm

Dee E. Goppstober wrote:The Dark Tower Series is the best. I wouldn't start off with it though, because then you miss all the references to his other books.

Check out this "Map"

It shows what books connect to other books in the series. You may want to follow it somewhat so that parts in the Dark Tower make more sense. There are MILD SPOILERS in the text that details the map. Nothing major, it just explains the connections. So if you want to be completely spoiler-free I'd say just follow the map without reading the text below.
If you don't read the books along side the DT series (and you enjoy the DT series) you'll end up reading them afterwards.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Dee E. Goppstober on Tue Apr 24, 2007 4:36 am

MonkeyM666 wrote:There sure is a thread about Books into Films. I keep saying Jasper Fford: Wednesday Next Series (not the new one... yuck!)....:)

I didn't realise that King referenced his other books in the Dark Tower series.... that may have something to do with the fact that I haven't read them, there's nothing too massive like The Dark towers lord is really a clown or something??? Man I hope not!

Thanks :D I'll have a great time thinking of someone who could play Roland. And did you just get confused with the days of the week, or is that just me?

Fievel wrote:

Check out this "Map"

It shows what books connect to other books in the series. You may want to follow it somewhat so that parts in the Dark Tower make more sense. There are MILD SPOILERS in the text that details the map. Nothing major, it just explains the connections. So if you want to be completely spoiler-free I'd say just follow the map without reading the text below.
If you don't read the books along side the DT series (and you enjoy the DT series) you'll end up reading them afterwards.

Cool link. I've read nearly all of the books (most several times) - except for the ones with Peter Straub. I am kind of suspicious of someone meddling with King's writing. But I might try now anyway.
Dee E. Goppstober
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby MonkeyM666 on Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:26 am

Dee E. Goppstober wrote:
MonkeyM666 wrote:There sure is a thread about Books into Films. I keep saying Jasper Fford: Wednesday Next Series (not the new one... yuck!)....:)

Thanks :D I'll have a great time thinking of someone who could play Roland. And did you just get confused with the days of the week, or is that just me?

I'll post my ideas on Roland in Books into Films. :)

Not confused about the day, just my lame attempt at book humor, :oops: ... I will now mention my overwhelming need to join the Chronoguard: http://www.jasperfforde.com/. I already have, and this may be the nerdiest thing I own, a Goliath Corp T-shirt and cap sitting back home because as Goliath's slogan says

MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MonkeyM666 on Tue Apr 24, 2007 6:07 am

Fievel wrote:

Check out this "Map"

Cool map, thanks Fievel... I'm not going to peek yet though, as I like to keep the mystery :)
MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MonkeyM666 on Tue May 29, 2007 6:18 am

DARK TOWER SPOILERS BELOW!

I'm on to the Song of Susannah in teh Dark tower series. WOW! What a great bunch of books. I don't know what's what yet, but I think that Wolves of the Calla is my favourite so far... I find it hard to go past Black 13, roont kids and robots wielding light sabres and Sneeches (hehe.... Harry potter. That was a nice addition)

I am addicted... and that is the truth :wink:
MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MonkeyM666 on Sun Jul 22, 2007 5:56 pm

I finished the Dark Tower Series last week :o Wow! I HATED the ending when I first finished it *SPOILERS* and the inclusion of an excuse by SK was really lame, I just felt that he lost the path of the beam in those final moments in Rolands stories and rushed the thing. Thinking more about it I really like the end. I still feel that it was forced but hey... I didn't write it.

Anyway, if you haven't read it... it's great... well great once you get through the Gunslinger and the first half of the Drawing of the Three...
MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby justcheckin on Sat Sep 15, 2007 10:33 pm

hmmm

I just finished Hearts in Atlantis by Stephen King (which was really good) and now I have decided to dive into the world that is The Dark Tower, also by Stephen King. :)
justcheckin
AIRWOLF

Postby Fawst on Wed Sep 26, 2007 4:34 pm

Reading The Dark Tower VII: The Dark Tower :D

FINALLY.
Prince of the Land of Stench!
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Wed Sep 26, 2007 4:44 pm

Fawst wrote:Reading The Dark Tower VII: The Dark Tower :D

FINALLY.

HOORAY!

I can't wait to hear what you think about it...I don't think anyone has ever come away from that book without SOME sort of opinion, good or bad, heh.
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby stereosforgeeks on Wed Sep 26, 2007 4:45 pm

Fawst wrote:Reading The Dark Tower VII: The Dark Tower :D

FINALLY.

Is that the last one?
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Wed Sep 26, 2007 4:53 pm

stereosforgeeks wrote:
Fawst wrote:Readin g The Dark Tower VII: The Dark Tower :D

FINALLY.

Is that the last one?

Yup.
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby justcheckin on Sun Oct 07, 2007 11:29 am

I am reading The Dark Tower Series... It is great so far. Only through the first two books though. Good Stuff...
justcheckin
AIRWOLF

Postby minstrel on Sun Oct 07, 2007 6:49 pm

justcheckin wrote:I am reading The Dark Tower Series... It is great so far. Only through the first two books though. Good Stuff...

You realize that reading this series qualifies you for a Ph.D in literature from the University of Funtrivia, don't you?

Speaking of which, I gotta go play the quizzes - thanks for reminding me!
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby Fawst on Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:09 pm

I'm on the last hundred (or less) pages of the final Dark Tower. Took me long enough to finally pick it up. But I'm definitely near the end. King loves his tie-ins and references, and I love him for it.
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fawst on Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:33 pm

Spoilers throughout.

First off, I just finished The Dark Tower. Finally. After putting it off since it was released (and having read every book immediately upon release other than The Gunslinger), I have finally done it.

And so, without further ado, let me bitch about the following :) :

Fievel wrote:Sure there was Walter/Flagg/etc., but it was known that he wasn't the big baddie of the story. And for me, every appearance from him was just awesome. His death was pathetic though, and a travesty to the character.

NO! NO NO NO! It was the PERFECT ending for Flagg! That fucker was one bad hombre. All the shit he pulled, in all the King stories he appears in... and he FEEDS HIS OWN EYEBALLS AND TONGUE TO A GIANT SPIDER. Come on. How can you NOT enjoy that? It was so perfectly FUCKED!

And I have to disagree with everyone calling the CK the big baddie. He was just another speed bump in Roland's way. I never expected a major confrontation with the two, and what I got was more than enough.

And the ending... oh, that lovely, perfect, HONEST ending. That was what it needed. The whole series is on a very sad note. That much can't really be argued. Roland's tale is one of sorrow. He is cursed. But there is hope of redemption. And the fact that he was carrying his horn was perfect. Even more perfect, the first line of the series ending the series. I loved it. I'm glad to have finally finished this whole thing, and King for once ended his book RIGHT. Give the man some applause. Say thankya.
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Chairman Kaga on Sat Nov 10, 2007 1:24 am

RezE11even wrote:The breakers are the "why" the tower is crumbling(again, far less cool than just progression of time), and their true debut is in book 7.

Huh? That's only the explanation given for the beam they following being destroyed. No where does it state the breakers are responsible for the destruction of the other beams.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fievel on Sat Nov 10, 2007 2:23 am

Fawst, glad to hear you got through it, and glad to hear you liked it.
There really isn't any other way that it could have ended.

I think I'm going to re-read the entire series this winter. I've read The Gunslinger several times (including immediately after I finished Book 7), but I think I'm ready to get back into that world again.
I still need to read It and Rose Madder, and then I'll have read all of the officially connected books. Maybe I'll read those as well.

Having had several years to reflect (and admittedly, forget alot) I really like the last few books (the Post-Accident). I never "hated" them, but will still say that they feel like they were written by a different person than the first four books. Well... they were. But by the same reasoning, so were the first four.

I know that thedarktower.net has a decent "map" of the books and the connected books, but I'd really like a definitive order in what to read everything so it all lined up... not that everything actually lines up, but it would be nice. I'll just use that as a reference.

Add to all of that The Dark Tower comics, and that's a lot. The comics will start the new series this winter detailing Roland, Cuthbert, and Alain's journey back to Gilead after the events of Wizard & Glass. Cool stuff.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby unikrunk on Sat Nov 10, 2007 8:36 am

The Ginger Man wrote:
Chairman Kaga wrote:I don't see how CK is "just a crazy old man lobing grenades". Sure he appears that way but how many other things in the DT and the other branching stories are more than they seem? Every other description put him as something more than just a man.....Hell almost everything Roland and Susannah run into in book VII is somehow veiled/illusory.

B/C when he is physically revealed, he's described as a crazy looking old man in red robes who stands on a balcony and lobs grenades. He barely even talks. He just screams EEEEEEEEEEE most of the time.

But I will humor you for a moment. Lets say the CK is not what he seems. He is, in fact, the most powerful being to ever exist. It still doesn't matter, b/c when he is finally revealed, he stands on a balcony, lobbing grenades, and squealing until his body gets erased by a kid. Having all the power in the multiverse doesn't mean shit if all you do with it is stand on a balcony, scream EEEEEEEE, and lob grenades.

New custom rank!

I have read all the books, but did not know that there was a rewrite on numero uno. The changes that have been listed certainly put a new paint job on the thing. Need to give that a look over.

I am one of those that felt a little cheated by the ending/beginning, as I had read the original GS - I suppose if one started out with the revised edition, the ending would make a little more sense.

Great books, but the last three were laborious at times. My favorite thing about them has to be the Dr. Doom robots and the killer sneetches. Oh, and lightsabers.

I love that at this point King was basically telling his editors and audience "Well, they’re my books and I want to have military issue sneetches and Dr. Doom robots…oh, and lightsabers; in fact, I am putting me in the book if anyone else says a word."

I, for one, would like to know more about Roland's world, and the Old Ones - I fucking love that Hyperborean age shit; cavemen with flying cars over their heads...anyway, I wish King would get involved in the telling of those tales, perhaps through the comics.

I need to not be smoking weed this early. I have a fucking interview today.

/Idiot.
He can't' love you back...
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Chairman Kaga on Sat Nov 10, 2007 4:13 pm

unikrunk wrote:I, for one, would like to know more about Roland's world, and the Old Ones - I fucking love that Hyperborean age shit; cavemen with flying cars over their heads...anyway, I wish King would get involved in the telling of those tales, perhaps through the comics.

Pick up the comics already out. In the back of each one he has extra story content. Stuff that fleshes out the backstory of Maerlyn, Arthur and where his guns/Excalibur came from. the wizard's rainbow, the Crimson King. They are an essential companion to the novels just because of the extra insight they provide.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby unikrunk on Mon Nov 12, 2007 9:45 am

Chairman Kaga wrote:
unikrunk wrote:I, for one, would like to know more about Roland's world, and the Old Ones - I fucking love that Hyperborean age shit; cavemen with flying cars over their heads...anyway, I wish King would get involved in the telling of those tales, perhaps through the comics.

Pick up the comics already out. In the back of each one he has extra story content. Stuff that fleshes out the backstory of Maerlyn, Arthur and where his guns/Excalibur came from. the wizard's rainbow, the Crimson King. They are an essential companion to the novels just because of the extra insight they provide.

Exactly what I want more of; I have all of the GS comics, and the companion pieces were just as good, if not better, than the Wizard and Glass story.

I would love to see more of these tales, but in a comic format; although I appreciate the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen-style exposition at the end of each comic, I would prefer to see some told via the comic format - I want to see how the world moved on, and what the Old Ones were up to with the creation of the Beam Guardians, and the City of Lud in its bustling glory; give me a glass of Sane Blaine, please.

Also, reading about Arthur Eld melting down Excalibur to make guns for his knights...sweet-tits-city.
He can't' love you back...
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fawst on Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:39 am

Yah, that's one thing about the Dark Tower that kinda upset me. All the really awesome stuff that is touched upon, but never really visited, or explained.

SPOILER

For example, the creatures living in the canyons beyond Fedic. All I could think of was that it was the spawning ground for the creatures of The Mist. Also, the crawler beneath Discordia was fucking AWESOME. It sort of solidified my idea about The Mist, it sounded by its description as if that would be what was on the other side of the garage door with the tentacles.

END SPOILER

Er, no, CONTINUE SPOILER AREA - FIEVEL, DO NOT READ THIS, IT REFERENCES It.

Dandelo. HAS to be It. HAS to be. Am I crazy, didn't it even say Dandelo on the door connecting the Barrens with Its lair in the novel? I could have sworn it did. And considering the blatant connection to Dark Tower, and the physical description of both It and Dandelo (in true form)... actually, the biggest thing that made me make that connection? The robot, Stuttering Bill. Uh-duuuuuh.

Ok, END SPOILERS

Yah, this is a rich world that King has created, but I guess in the end if he had gone ahead and explained/covered EVERYTHING, it would have turned into the Wheel of Time. And we all know how that (didn't) end.
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Leckomaniac on Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:53 am

I read the Dark Tower comics without ever reading the books and I was absolutely blown away. One of the best fantasy stories I ever read.

Now I am preparing myself to invest the time and money into reading the entire Dark Tower saga.

Wish me luck on my journey.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fawst on Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:58 am

Lecko... you don't need luck, you just need time :) Enjoy, because it's a hell of a ride.
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Leckomaniac on Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:04 am

Fawst wrote:Lecko... you don't need luck, you just need time :) Enjoy, because it's a hell of a ride.

That's what she said...

...and I am quite excited. Man was that comic pure gold.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Crimson King on Sun Dec 16, 2007 9:33 pm

I started reading The Dark Tower not very long ago, although it was before King went back and revised The Gunslinger. The original version of that book was kind of a tough read, 'cause he gets all high-falootin' with his choice of words and whatnot. Like he's trying be all, "look at me, I'm a writer!" That one took me a while to get through.

The Drawing of the Three I read in one day. I absolutely loved it. I wish I could make that movie, 'cause it would be totally badass.

The Wastelands I liked, but it felt sort of, like, a transition to get to Wizard and Glass. That one was quite amazing. I was as close to tears as I'd ever been after reading a book. Phenomenal book.

I did like Volumes V-VII. I'm still not 100% with my feeling about the ending of the series, but it was certainly a hell of a ride, and one I hope to be taking again pretty shortly.

(PS: I wish y'all would stop talking shit about me before I'm forced to reduce you all to dust. Thanks!! :-P )
English, motherfucker! Do you speak it?!?
Crimson King
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Sun Dec 16, 2007 10:33 pm

Crimson King wrote:(PS: I wish y'all would stop talking shit about me before I'm forced to reduce you all to dust. Thanks!! :-P )

Sorry.

Can you tell me, for a guy that hasn't picked up a book in years and who is interested in reading this series, will it be an easy read overall, or should I get some more books of such thick and small print in me first? (Read The Talisman, and that was pretty easy.)
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Fievel on Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:32 am

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:
Crimson King wrote:(PS: I wish y'all would stop talking shit about me before I'm forced to reduce you all to dust. Thanks!! :-P )

Sorry.

Can you tell me, for a guy that hasn't picked up a book in years and who is interested in reading this series, will it be an easy read overall, or should I get some more books of such thick and small print in me first? (Read The Talisman, and that was pretty easy.)

If you found The Talisman an easy read, and enjoyed it, you should have no problems at all with the Dark Tower series. If the first book doesn't quite grab you, give it through the second or third book before you give up on it. I know a few people that gave up after the first book, then went back a few years later and read on and loved it more than they thought they could have. The first four books are completely different books, whereas the final three are really just one long book in the series chopped into three parts.
And if you enjoy the series, you'll likely read the connected books which includes The Talisman sequel - The Black House.

Whatever. You'll reduce no one to nothing. You'll just sit up there... being a lonely pair of eyes, and nothing more.
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE, indeed.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:40 am

Thanks for the connected books list, Fiev! I'll read that page in full later on. That's a big list there. I was gonna ask what fantasy elements are incorporated into this world but it looks like that link will do this for me. I was dissapointed more dark fantasy in the Territories in The Talisman wasn't shown - I coulda torn sh*t outta the 'Hell' environment that Jack transported him and Wolf to for a short moment - but I hope The Dark Tower might fill in some of this.

I hope if I ever read The Gunslinger, it will be satisfactory for me to stay the course. Only one way to find out I suppose.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Chairman Kaga on Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:34 am

I started with the revised Gunslinger and then read the original. The revised version is by far better.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:35 am

Oah man! Make it easy for me, King!!!

Why is the revised version better, CK1? What do most people go with?
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Crimson King on Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:43 am

Well, The Gunslinger was written back when King was still very young, and he himself admits that he was being somewhat pretentious when writing it. It's worth checking out if you get a chance, but you might as well start off with the revised version.

The revised version clears up some inconsistencies and brings it more in line with the rest of the books, especially the final three. It's definitely an easier read than the original version, not that the other one was difficult or anything, but it certainly didn't flow as clearly or easily.

Apart from reading The Dark Tower series itself in order, I don't think there's necessarily a particular order required to read his other novels. I mean, sure, some characters show up in the series from other stories, but it's not absolutely necessary for you to have read those books. If you can devote some time to immersing yourself in King's world(s), I think you'll find it a rather rewarding experience. Say what you will about King, but he's a master storyteller, and even his worst ain't anything to sneeze at.

I would suggest just picking up The Gunslinger and going through the series, and then you can explore the other novels. The series functions almost as the Dark Tower itself does. It unifies everything else. It's the centerpiece.
Crimson King
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby Chairman Kaga on Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:46 am

Well wasn't it originally published in a magazine in 4 parts thus the lack of flow betwen the sections?
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:48 am

Cheers, CK1 and CK2! Yeah, the more all you guys are telling me about it, the more I wanna get it for my Christmas present. At least it's an easy going read. Good for me to get started. I don't really need to read the other books outside of the series. Man, I got The Stand at home still need reading. But I heard that the Tower novels all stemmed from The Talisman anyway, a novel which dissapointedly for me, wasn't set in the Territories as much as I wanted.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Crimson King on Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:52 am

Chairman Kaga wrote:Well wasn't it originally published in a magazine in 4 parts thus the lack of flow betwen the sections?

True...that makes sense. I forgot about that.
Crimson King
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby Fievel on Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:01 am

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:Man, I got The Stand at home still need reading. But I heard that the Tower novels all stemmed from The Talisman anyway, a novel which dissapointedly for me, wasn't set in the Territories as much as I wanted.

The Stand does connect, and in a very cool way. I had seen the TV movie, so I understood the references.
But saying the the stories stem from The Talisman is wayyy off. The first book was written way before The Talisman. The main characters travel through an area that is like the Blasted Lands in one of the books, but that's about it. They (King & Straub) brought in hardcore connections to The Black House, but by then four of the DT books had been written.

Speaking of connections, there is a really cool "Road Map" to the connections here (they're ina slow process of getting a new server, so the link may not always work). It offers a possible order to read all books in. I had time between the release of the final two (I started reading them in 2003) so I went along with their suggestions as much as I could at that point. Once all the books were released, even more connections had come out. But by then I was such a Kingaholic that I was getting into as much as I could and had read most of the connected stories.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Chairman Kaga on Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:07 am

I had the luck of reading most of King's work before even touching the DT so I really enjoyed the connections between the stories.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fievel on Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:10 am

Chairman Kaga wrote:I had the luck of reading most of King's work before even touching the DT so I really enjoyed the connections between the stories.

I agree. Minor spoiler that doesn't tell anything specific: When characters from other books show up it's almost like seeing an old friend.
Especially when their own story is expanded upon more than their original book ever did.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Chairman Kaga on Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:18 am

Fievel wrote:
Chairman Kaga wrote:I had the luck of reading most of King's work before even touching the DT so I really enjoyed the connections between the stories.

I agree. Minor spoiler that doesn't tell anything specific: When characters from other books show up it's almost like seeing an old friend.
Especially when their own story is expanded upon more than their original book ever did.

I actually knew about Father Callahan showing up in the newer books (I didn't start reading them until he finished Book 7) so after reading Wizard and the Glass I picked up Salem's Lot which was one of the few books I hadn't read up to that point. I started with IT back in like 90 or 91 when the miniseries came out. I loved the miniseries so much I decided to read the book which was probably a weird decision for a 10-11 year old. It took me like a year to finish but after that I was hooked. I'd love to see a new version of IT someday that could incorporate all of the past "events" that IT caused in and around Derry.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Crimson King on Mon Dec 17, 2007 3:15 am

Well, I guess that is true, that if you've read other connected books, when a character you know shows up, it's like, "hey, buddy, long time no see!"

Well, you know what I mean.
Crimson King
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby Fievel on Mon Dec 17, 2007 3:36 am

Crimson King wrote:Well, I guess that is true, that if you've read other connected books, when a character you know shows up, it's like, "hey, buddy, long time no see!"

Well, you know what I mean.

Yeah.
The appearances of Callahan, Ted Brautigan, and Dinky Earnshaw all gave me that feeling.
The appearance of Patrick Danville (after being made a mute) was more of a "Oh my...." reaction.

I may end up re-reading this series this winter.
It's been a long three years since I've been immersed in that world.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Chairman Kaga on Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:42 am

Gonna be re-reading The Drawing of Three over the weekend while I fly out to San Fran
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby justcheckin on Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:35 am

I am working on Dark Tower still... *sighs* I love it. What should I read next... any suggestions?
justcheckin
AIRWOLF

Postby Maui on Sat Mar 01, 2008 3:16 pm

justcheckin wrote:I am working on Dark Tower still... *sighs* I love it. What should I read next... any suggestions?

I have recommended "I Love You Beth Cooper" to a few people. They all have really enjoyed it. Check it out, if you want a quick, humorous read with a lot of pop culture references.
Maui
WoWie

Postby Fievel on Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:39 pm

Damon Lindelof Asked About The Dark Tower Movie!

Q: Have there been any developments with your rumored adaptation of Stephen King's Dark Tower series?

A: The Dark Tower is to me every bit as daunting an adaptation as the Lord of the Rings trilogy must have been for Peter Jackson, except we've got seven books we're looking at. And the idea of doing that at the same time Carlton and I are bringing Lost to a close is simply not viable. There are always Dark Tower conversations, but the figuring out of what this will look like as a movie has not begun. If The Dark Tower were in the right hands, I would love to see seven movies executed just right. But you have to get people to see the first one to get them to come and see the second one.

Doesn't say much, but ANY word about the project is a good word.
So ultimately, if there ever IS going to be Dark Tower films, they'll come after Lost is done(?).

Sigh.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Re:

Postby Fievel on Wed Dec 17, 2008 7:42 pm

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:Thanks for the connected books list, Fiev! I'll read that page in full later on. That's a big list there. I was gonna ask what fantasy elements are incorporated into this world but it looks like that link will do this for me. I was dissapointed more dark fantasy in the Territories in The Talisman wasn't shown - I coulda torn sh*t outta the 'Hell' environment that Jack transported him and Wolf to for a short moment - but I hope The Dark Tower might fill in some of this.

I hope if I ever read The Gunslinger, it will be satisfactory for me to stay the course. Only one way to find out I suppose.

Kirks... if, okay, when you come back I'm curious to know if you ever ended up reading this.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Re: The Dark Tower

Postby tfactor on Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:34 pm

OK I'd just like to say, if you haven't read these books and finished them - there is a huge spoiler below. Now please understand I am a huge fan of the characters and the story and someday it will make movies comparable to the LOTR movies. However my brother recently told me how Stephen WORST ENDINGS EVER King finished off his magnum opus.

I'm a real slow reader, and when I finished Wastelands I was livid at how much he left us hanging. So when Wizard and Glass came out, well suffice to say I'm taking my sweet ass time to read the remaining books, but apparently there is actually a bit in the very last book from Stephen saying pretty much "OK you should stop reading now and let this be the end of the story..." but what follows is the true ending of this long and awesome adventure. An ending which is truly deserved the #1 slot in Stephen's sucky ending hall of fame!

SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS! DO NOT READ THE NEXT PART UNLESS YOU KNOW HOW THIS STORY ENDS! You've been warned!

To have Roland end up right back on the god damn beach where the whole thing started in the first book is down right evil of Stephen to do as a close to these books. I couldn't fucking believe what my brother told me to the point where I don't know if I'll personal forgo reading that particular portion of the last book but it just proves once again (like he does with nearly every one of his books!) that as good of a writer as he is - the man can not finish a story FOR SHIT! Roland's road could have led to so many places & some many other things ... "fucking size defeats all, remember?" Roland's world was a tiny spec on a broken blade of grass in a field that led to the Dark Tower. So WTF HAPPENED? And Why WHy WHHYYYY would you drop Roland's ass right back were he was in book #1. That is NOT "poetry" its just fucking cruel & STUPID! Its a damn waste of a potentially endlessly awesome possibility, a dream crushing blow! I swear its like King sometimes just really tries to think "hmmmm whats the worst possible way for things to end and what will satisfy the many fans the least?" Stephen you are a DICKHEAD!!! I've never before felt so strongly that Misery is a completely understandable scenario and that Annie Wilkes wasn't so crazy after all! :shock:

OK I had hoped to feel better after venting about this but I still hate Stephen for doing that to his fans. I can't wait for the movies and hope I'm alive whenever they are made but piss on King for finishing everything the way he did! Or at least thats how I feel now, maybe I'll feel different once I've read it all for myself. We'll see...
tfactor
KING SMARMY

Postby Chairman Kaga on Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:47 pm

Since you haven't read it I think you're jumping to conclusions about the ending based on what your brother (somewhat incorrectly) told you.
Go fuck yourself.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fievel on Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:01 pm

SK's a dickhead? I'd be kneeing my brother in the nuts if he told me the ending of an epic saga when I was only a bit of the way though - even if I asked him to tell me!
I was bummed by the ending at first. It's an easy knee-jerk reaction to have. But I have come around to realize that there was NO OTHER WAY that the series could have ended.
It is hinted throughout the ENTIRE series that it would end that way.
Ka is like a wheel, yo!

Some people think that in the comics Roland might end up with the Horn of Eld at his side after Jericho and that he will then be able to stop the loop.
Same thing with a possible movie - that he might have the horn and it can finally end.
Either way, I still love the series and the journey it takes you through - and THAT is the point that King drive home in regards to his ending.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby tfactor on Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:16 pm

I hope I have this all wrong but I asked my brother to tell me, so perhaps I'm the victim of my own foolish request. Still I haven't really got into the comics but if thats even potentially leaning towards something more elaborate like you suggested (with the horn) I should start picking those up, because I do want more. I suppose I've just been in limbo with the stories for a while yet I'm still interested enough to run my mouth, at times sounding like an idiot. I hope I am wrong, I hope my brother got it wrong. Or maybe he told me what he did just to lesson the blow from what he knew would piss me off about the ending. Either way I'll let you know in a couple more years when I finish the books. :wink:

you do have me wanting to call out sick tomorrow and just spend the day reading. I don't do that nearly as often I once did but highly recommend it if you haven't tried!

Thanks for the feedback :)
T
tfactor
KING SMARMY

PreviousNext

Return to AICN Books