February 07 BotM Thread - HITCHHIKER'S GUIDE TO THE GALAXY

This forum caters to our literary tastes.

February 07 BotM Thread - HITCHHIKER'S GUIDE TO THE GALAXY

Postby Ribbons on Wed Jan 31, 2007 1:38 pm

Bump'd!
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Bob Samonkey on Wed Jan 31, 2007 1:42 pm

I still want HGTTG. I have been waiting to have someone to talk to about it. No one will read it around here...

I live with a house hold of non readers. :(
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby MacCready on Wed Jan 31, 2007 1:44 pm

Hitchhikers.
It's winter, I'm freezing my ass off ( yup, there it goes ), and I guess I'd rather laugh than anything else right now.
MacCready
MAN IN SUIT

Postby havocSchultz on Wed Jan 31, 2007 1:49 pm

MacCready wrote:Hitchhikers.
It's winter, I'm freezing my ass off ( yup, there it goes ), and I guess I'd rather laugh than anything else right now.

Isn't it always winter up at the outpost there MacReady...?
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Re: Zoner Book Club - FEBRUARY

Postby ONeillSG1 on Wed Jan 31, 2007 7:36 pm

Ribbons wrote:Hey gang! Sorry for the lack of Book Club-ness in December and January. I didn't really have a theme planned for this month, so I just chose several books that I found interesting. And away we go...

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

The beloved Douglas Adams romp about a boy and his dog, or something like that. Also: comic existentialism, Vogon poetry, dolphins, Marvin the Paranoid Android, Babelfish, and, of course, 42. Will ONeill's bane finally be lifted? You decide!

Amazon.com wrote:Join Douglas Adams's hapless hero Arthur Dent as he travels the galaxy with his intrepid pal Ford Prefect, getting into horrible messes and generally wreaking hilarious havoc. Dent is grabbed from Earth moments before a cosmic construction team obliterates the planet to build a freeway. You'll never read funnier science fiction; Adams is a master of intelligent satire, barbed wit, and comedic dialogue. The Hitchhiker's Guide is rich in comedic detail and thought-provoking situations and stands up to multiple reads. Required reading for science fiction fans, this book (and its follow-ups) is also sure to please fans of Monty Python, Terry Pratchett's Discworld series, and British sitcoms.

Amazon.com

Amazon.co.uk

FINALLY!!! AWESOME!!
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Location: 221C Baker Street, front row seat for some action . . .

Postby Ribbons on Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:09 pm

Today's the last day before the poll closes, I believe. Just figured I would bump the thread in case anybody wanted to get their vote in and hasn't yet.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Bob Samonkey on Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:32 pm

Already started reading it again
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby Ribbons on Wed Feb 07, 2007 1:22 pm

Okay, it's official: the Book of the Month for February is...

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy! Somewhere, ONeill breathes a sigh of relief.

Amazon.com

Amazon.co.uk

I want to thank everybody who took part in this vote, and I hope you all enjoy obtaining and reading the book. There's no time limit on this thread, so feel free to come in and post your thoughts on the story whenever you want. Thanks everybody.
Last edited by Ribbons on Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Vegeta on Wed Feb 07, 2007 1:44 pm

Yeah, a book i've actually read in the last year or two!
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby ONeillSG1 on Wed Feb 07, 2007 1:45 pm

Vegeta wrote:Yeah, a book i've actually read in the last year or two!

Ditto.
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Location: 221C Baker Street, front row seat for some action . . .

Postby buster00 on Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:10 pm

ONeillSG1 wrote:
Vegeta wrote:Yeah, a book i've actually read in the last year or two!

Ditto.

Threeto!
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby minstrel on Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:13 pm

Well, I haven't read it since the late 80s. It was hilarious, though! I should go through it again.
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby Vegeta on Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:16 pm

It is one quick read minstrel. I think it took me about 4 or 5 hours... maybe. Lots of laughs though.
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby Pacino86845 on Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:10 am

Towel Day

What do I do?

Carry your towel with you throughout the day to show your participation and mourning.

When do I do it?

May 25th.

Where do I do it?

Everywhere.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Fried Gold on Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:46 am

Don't forget to buy some authentic towels.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Ribbons on Mon Aug 20, 2007 3:22 am

I just cracked this book open today. I'm only a chapter or so in, but I'm actually liking it better than I thought I would. It's almost incredible how relentlessly absurd the narration is; it must have taken Douglas Adams forever to write.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby tapehead on Mon Aug 20, 2007 3:35 am

Adams didn't produce a lot of work. If you're interested, I think 'Salmon of Doubt" has a couple of articles where Adams talks about his writing method that I found pretty fascinating. He wasn't able to work in a very ordered way and was prepared to wait for inspiration to strike him.

'I love deadlines. I love the whooshing sound they make as they fly by'
-D.A.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby buster00 on Mon Aug 20, 2007 4:11 am

tapehead wrote:'I love deadlines. I love the whooshing sound they make as they fly by'
-D.A.

LOL, I use that quote almost every day.
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Cha-Ka Khan on Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:40 am

Douglas Adams wrote:I love deadlines. I love the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.

Nicely adapted by Pirates of the Carribean as well:

Elizabeth: "There will come a moment when you have the chance to do the right thing."
Jack: "I love those moments. I like to wave at them as they pass by."
Cha-Ka Khan
UNGRATEFUL BASTARD

Postby Ribbons on Tue Aug 21, 2007 4:07 am

A-ha! I finally know what a "hoopy frood" is!

I miss Bluebottle... :P
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Pacino86845 on Tue Aug 21, 2007 4:14 am

BulBittle is like a younger, more Canadian Douglas Adams, eh?
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Ribbons on Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:11 pm

He is one hoopy frood indeed.

Just outta curiosity, who's the little green guy with his tongue sticking out on the cover of the book? I've seen him all over Hitchhiker's memorabilia, but I'm pretty sure there's nothing like him in the book, unless I missed it or haven't gotten there yet.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Ribbons on Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:46 pm

So I just finished Hitchhiker's (I bought the anthology) and am now onto The Restaurant at the End of the Universe. Seems intriguing, though I think I'm liking the first one better so far -- although there is more Marvin the Paranoid Android, which is always a good thing. Can anyone who's read all 5 books in the series break down which ones they like the best?
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Bob Samonkey on Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:54 pm

Ribbons wrote:He is one hoopy frood indeed.

Just outta curiosity, who's the little green guy with his tongue sticking out on the cover of the book? I've seen him all over Hitchhiker's memorabilia, but I'm pretty sure there's nothing like him in the book, unless I missed it or haven't gotten there yet.

I always thought it was some random planet sticking its tonuge out at us....

Ribbons wrote:So I just finished Hitchhiker's (I bought the anthology) and am now onto The Restaurant at the End of the Universe. Seems intriguing, though I think I'm liking the first one better so far -- although there is more Marvin the Paranoid Android, which is always a good thing. Can anyone who's read all 5 books in the series break down which ones they like the best?

Though I enjoyed them all and there are some really funny parts in the other books (the tank and Marvin comes to mind...) they do tend to go downhill from there. Of course they are all really high on the hill and they only roll a little way down. Mostly Harmless rolled the furthest.
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby Al Shut on Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:56 pm

my memory is failing but my favorite was most certanly one of the first three.

so I kinda second Poopflingius Maximus
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby Ribbons on Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:06 pm

Thanks Al, Poopflingius Maximus.

I will soldier on; if the story has dipped in quality it's from a very high hill, as you say. At the very least, Adams' flair for comedic prose makes the book hard not to enjoy at least in some way.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby minstrel on Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:48 pm

The first three are all pretty much the same in style, imagination, and quality, as far as I remember. In the fourth and fifth books, Adams seems to have taken a more serious and cynical turn. I haven't read them since the 80s, but as I recall, they aren't as funny, and they're kind of down on the human race as a whole. Also, it seemed that Adams was trying to change the character of Arthur Dent from being well-meaning but clueless Everyman to being a more heroic, macho stud. It didn't work for me.

I have the anthology here; I should reread it sometime.
minstrel

Postby DennisMM on Thu Aug 23, 2007 4:09 pm

Definitely the first book, though I'm touched by the sweetness of Arthur's romance with Fenchurch - the girl in Rickmansworth station who thought of a way to make the world peaceful, just before the Vogons destroyed the world - in So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby minstrel on Thu Aug 23, 2007 4:15 pm

DennisMM wrote:Definitely the first book, though I'm touched by the sweetness of Arthur's romance with Fenchurch - the girl in Rickmansworth station who thought of a way to make the world peaceful, just before the Vogons destroyed the world - in So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish.

I don't remember the details, but that sounds like one of the examples of Adams' increased cynicism in the last two books.
minstrel

Postby DennisMM on Thu Aug 23, 2007 4:20 pm

Fenny and her fate are on the first page of the first book, though you may be saying that the romance itself is a sign of Adams's cynicism - the inclusion of a romance at all, I mean.
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby Bob Samonkey on Thu Aug 23, 2007 4:27 pm

DennisMM wrote:Definitely the first book, though I'm touched by the sweetness of Arthur's romance with Fenchurch - the girl in Rickmansworth station who thought of a way to make the world peaceful, just before the Vogons destroyed the world - in So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish.

I agree but it did not seem to me to have the same Hitchhikerness...
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby Ribbons on Fri Aug 24, 2007 10:45 am

"Zaphod's just this guy, you know?"
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby tapehead on Fri Aug 24, 2007 1:26 pm

The BBC radio broadcasts are actually the original source of the first three books, I think, and quite a few of the same actors from that were cast in the early eighties tv version - which is badass. All the versions are different.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Ribbons on Fri Aug 24, 2007 1:28 pm

Did they use that line in the TV show? DID THEY?!
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Maui on Fri Aug 24, 2007 1:48 pm

Ribbons, did you like this book?

Do you recommend it? I've always wanted to read it, just never got around to it.
Maui
WoWie

Postby tapehead on Fri Aug 24, 2007 1:55 pm

Bob Poopflingius Maximus wrote:
Ribbons wrote:That's what I selected as well. I've been aching to read Life of Pi, but curiosity and fanboy love has gotten the better of me.

I have read Life of Pi and I still want HGTTG. I have been waiting to have someone to talk to about it. No one will read it around here...

I live with a house hold of non readers. :(

I think this is also the only specific HGTTG / Douglas Adams thread we've had in the Zone.

http://tinyurl.com/4pqvh
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Fievel on Fri Aug 24, 2007 1:55 pm

I've read it and listened to it being read by Adams himself. Simply and brilliantly ridiculous.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Maui on Fri Aug 24, 2007 1:57 pm

Fievel wrote:I've read it and listened to it being read by Adams himself. Simply and brilliantly ridiculous.

Well, that's good enough for me. I thrive on ridiculous!
Maui
WoWie

Postby Ribbons on Fri Aug 24, 2007 1:59 pm

Maui wrote:Ribbons, did you like this book?

Do you recommend it? I've always wanted to read it, just never got around to it.

Definitely check out the first one, and if you like it go from there. I wasn't I would like it either, but it really is quite hilarious, and Adams has a lot of interesting ideas about time, space and life in general buried underneath all the wacky names (like Zap-Em-Deads and Eezeespeeks).

Also... I just posted the 42nd reply in this thread! w00t!
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Maui on Fri Aug 24, 2007 2:01 pm

Ribbons wrote:
Maui wrote:Ribbons, did you like this book?

Definitely check out the first one, and if you like it go from there. I wasn't I would like it either, but it really is quite hilarious, and Adams has a lot of interesting ideas about time, space and life in general buried underneath all the wacky names (like Zap-Em-Deads and Eezeespeeks).

Also... I just posted the 42nd reply in this thread! w00t!

Cool, thanks! Will check this out. :D
Maui
WoWie

Postby Fievel on Fri Aug 24, 2007 2:11 pm

Ribbons wrote: Adams has a lot of interesting ideas about time, space and life in general buried underneath all the wacky names (like Zap-Em-Deads and Eezeespeeks).

Don't forget his digs at religion & politics as well - one of the main bits of humor (humour?) that I thoroughly enjoyed about the series.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Fri Aug 24, 2007 2:49 pm

Fievel wrote:humor (humour?)

that's how Brits cheat at scrabble...

/Eddie Izzard.
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Ribbons on Sat Sep 01, 2007 9:41 pm

So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish kind of seems like the "Mario 2" of the Hitchhiker's Guide series. It's not bad, but it's almost set in an entirely different universe from all of the other books (I guess according to the Whole Sort of General Mish-Mash, this is technically correct :wink: ).

So I read the five books in the anthology, and they were all pretty good. I think I liked the first (Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy) and maybe the second (The Restaurant at the End of the Universe) the best. They seem like the purest distillation of (most of) the ideas that are expressed over each novel, and I was also kind of bummed that Zaphod and Marvin more or less dropped out of the series after the third book, but the quality of Adams' prose is so consistently entertaining throughout the series that it's hard to not like any of them, really. I'm glad I finally got around to reading these.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Re: Zoner Book Club (Feb.) - HITCHHIKER'S GUIDE TO THE GALAX

Postby tapehead on Wed Oct 03, 2007 12:20 am

Martin Freeman, Arthur Dent for the new Millennium, tells us what were already knew - these hitchhikers won't be dining at Milliways any time soon.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Fievel on Wed Oct 03, 2007 12:39 am

Ribbons wrote:So I read the five books in the anthology, and they were all pretty good. I think I liked the first (Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy) and maybe the second (The Restaurant at the End of the Universe) the best. They seem like the purest distillation of (most of) the ideas that are expressed over each novel, and I was also kind of bummed that Zaphod and Marvin more or less dropped out of the series after the third book, but the quality of Adams' prose is so consistently entertaining throughout the series that it's hard to not like any of them, really. I'm glad I finally got around to reading these.

Wow... that pretty much summed up my feelings on the series as well.

Damn Death for taking you away so early Douglas Adams!!!!!!!!! I would have loved some more entries every now and then.

And a bummer about the lack of a sequel to the movie......

....ahhh fuck it. I'm glad. I'll read the book or listen to one of the MANY audio representations if I need a fix.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:23 pm

Reading The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
caruso_stalker217
TOO AGED FOR THIS MALARKEY

Postby Bloo on Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:21 pm

caruso_stalker217 wrote:Reading The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

I haven't read that book in forever
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:25 pm

First time read for me. Could've read it in one sitting but I figure I procrastinate with everything else so why not this too?
caruso_stalker217
TOO AGED FOR THIS MALARKEY

Postby Bloo on Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:34 pm

caruso_stalker217 wrote:First time read for me. Could've read it in one sitting but I figure I procrastinate with everything else so why not this too?

first time I read it was in Jr. High, had to do a book report on a book we had never read I found it in my shcool's library adn ti blew me away and corrupted my tiny little brain

make sure you read the whole "trilogy"
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Re: February 07 BotM Thread - HITCHHIKER'S GUIDE TO THE GALAXY

Postby Ribbons on Sun Jul 19, 2009 5:31 pm

Wot's all this about a trilogy then!?
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Next

Return to AICN Books