Kurt Vonnegut Dead at 84

This forum caters to our literary tastes.

Postby Pacino86845 on Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:27 am

I spit on your Fox News!
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby The Vicar on Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:45 pm

Adam Balm wrote:Yeah, it takes real balls to wait til someone dies, and thus can't defend themselves, to take pot-shots at them.

That's Fox News all over - sackless, brainless ultra conservative lackies without a shred of shame nor dignity in them.
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby buster00 on Mon Apr 23, 2007 1:50 am

Most of you probably frequent The Onion anyway, but just in case you might miss it:

The AV Club's 15 Things Kurt Vonnegut Said Better Than Anyone Else Ever Has Or Will.
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Leckomaniac on Mon Apr 23, 2007 1:57 am

buster00 wrote:Most of you probably frequent The Onion anyway, but just in case you might miss it:

The AV Club's 15 Things Kurt Vonnegut Said Better Than Anyone Else Ever Has Or Will.

Thanks Buster. One in particular really stood out:

7. "There are plenty of good reasons for fighting, but no good reason ever to hate without reservation, to imagine that God Almighty Himself hates with you, too."

Though this quote comes from the World War II-centered Mother Night (published in 1961), its wisdom and ugly truth still ring. Vonnegut (who often said "The only difference between Bush and Hitler is that Hitler was elected") was righteously skeptical about war, having famously survived the only one worth fighting in his lifetime. And it's never been more true: Left or right, Christian or Muslim, those convinced they're doing violence in service of a higher power and against an irretrievably inhuman enemy are the most dangerous creatures of all.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby St. Alphonzo on Mon Apr 23, 2007 1:59 am

buster00 wrote:Most of you probably frequent The Onion anyway, but just in case you might miss it:

If there was ever any doubt the man was a genius, these quotes utterly remove it. I'll be taking out my well-worn copy of Slaughterhouse Five tomorrow to give it another re-reading.
ImageImage
St. Alphonzo
Patron Saint

Re: Kurt Vonnegut Dead at 84

Postby TheButcher on Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:05 pm

Kurt Vonnegut, The Art of Fiction No. 64
Interviewed by David Hayman, David Michaelis, George Plimpton, Richard Rhodes
This interview with Kurt Vonnegut was originally a composite of four interviews done with the author over the past decade. The composite has gone through an extensive working over by the subject himself, who looks upon his own spoken words on the page with considerable misgivings . . . indeed, what follows can be considered an interview conducted with himself, by himself.

INTERVIEWER

You are a veteran of the Second World War?

VONNEGUT

Yes. I want a military funeral when I die—the bugler, the flag on the casket, the ceremonial firing squad, the hallowed ground.

INTERVIEWER

Why?

VONNEGUT

It will be a way of achieving what I’ve always wanted more than anything—something I could have had, if only I’d managed to get myself killed in the war.

INTERVIEWER

Which is—?

VONNEGUT

The unqualified approval of my community.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Kurt Vonnegut Dead at 84

Postby TheButcher on Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:40 am

Back to School (7/12) Movie CLIP - I'm Kurt Vonnegut (1986)
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Previous

Return to AICN Books