Random Book News

This forum caters to our literary tastes.

Re: Random Book News

Postby TheBaxter on Tue May 25, 2010 8:44 am

Maui wrote:
TheBaxter wrote:
hah. i was actually talking about giving away the essay at the end of War and Peace. why bother reading, now that i know how it ends?

It doesn't spoil it though. The essay relates to the novel, it's a separate and distinct piece of writing, basically Tolstoy's philosophies on history, power, events, leaders, God, etc. It's his reasoning behind all the events that took place in the novel. You could easily read the novel without reading the epilogues BUT that would be a huge disservice to Tolstoy's purpose in even writing War and Peace. Hope I didn't spoil it for ya.

damn. i guess my joke wasn't as obvious as i intended.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Maui on Tue May 25, 2010 11:15 am

TheBaxter wrote:
Maui wrote:
TheBaxter wrote:
hah. i was actually talking about giving away the essay at the end of War and Peace. why bother reading, now that i know how it ends?

It doesn't spoil it though. The essay relates to the novel, it's a separate and distinct piece of writing, basically Tolstoy's philosophies on history, power, events, leaders, God, etc. It's his reasoning behind all the events that took place in the novel. You could easily read the novel without reading the epilogues BUT that would be a huge disservice to Tolstoy's purpose in even writing War and Peace. Hope I didn't spoil it for ya.

damn. i guess my joke wasn't as obvious as i intended.

:oops:
Maui
WoWie

Postby TheBaxter on Tue May 25, 2010 1:02 pm

oh, and i actually did read war and peace, once, a long time ago, for school. i have no desire to relive that experience.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby minstrel on Tue May 25, 2010 2:04 pm

I've never read War And Peace. I hear it's very, very long. I have only two questions: Who won the war, and does the guy get the girl in the end?

:wink:
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby TheBaxter on Tue May 25, 2010 3:32 pm

a) the good guys win
b) the guy does NOT get the girl, because in an unexpected twist ending, it turns out that the guy and the girl are just different personalities residing in the SAME BODY
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby minstrel on Tue May 25, 2010 4:39 pm

TheBaxter wrote:a) the good guys win
b) the guy does NOT get the girl, because in an unexpected twist ending, it turns out that the guy and the girl are just different personalities residing in the SAME BODY

Ahhh ... so the guy IS the girl! That Tolstoy was really ahead of his time ...
minstrel

Postby TheBaxter on Tue May 25, 2010 4:46 pm

minstrel wrote:
TheBaxter wrote:a) the good guys win

Ahhh ... so the guy IS the girl! That Tolstoy was really ahead of his time ...

yeah... you don't even want to know what he cooked up for anna karenina -- she's a ghost the whole time!
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:51 pm

Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Bean on Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:49 pm

Bean
AIRWOLF

Postby minstrel on Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:27 am

I'll be picking this up. I'm a Bourdain fan.
minstrel

Re: Guillermo Del Toro's The Strain

Postby TheButcher on Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:04 am

The Fall LP: Book Two of the Strain Trilogy will be released on September 21, 2010.

From MTV:
Guillermo Del Toro's New Vampire Book 'The Fall' Arrives Soon, And You Can Win A Chance To Meet Him
Adam Rosenberg wrote:One of my favorite books of 2009 was "The Strain." The result of a collaboration between Guillermo del Toro and Chuck Hogan, "The Strain" offered a decidedly fresh (and exceedingly creepy) take on the vampire myth. Framing vampirism as a biological condition akin to a virus, the book is part vampire story, part outbreak novel and all satisfying. New York City is consumed by this disease as we follow a few colorful character in their struggle against the rising storm.
The second book, "The Fall," is due for release on September 21. I tore through it over the weekend and it's great, delivering very well on the narrative promises made in the first book. We learn more about some key characters, meet a range of new ones and are provided a deeper glimpse into the backstory leading to the first book's cataclysmic event. The hardest thing is turning to that last page and realizing we're more than a year away from the final chapter in this saga.

As a cool treat, HarperCollins has teamed with Fandango for a contest in which the grand prize is a meet-and-greet with del Toro. All you have to do is head over to TheFallSweeps.com and follow the instructions -- which involve pre-ordering the new book -- there.

Look at it this way: here's your chance to ask del Toro all of the questions you want to about "The Hobbit." Awwwww... I made it sad, didn't I?

TheButcher wrote:From MTV 1/8/09: Guillermo Del Toro Unveils Plots For His ‘Epic’ Vampire Novels
Shawn Adler wrote:When news was came recently that director Guillermo del Toro was writing a series of vampire novels with author Chuck Hogan, headlines and columns across the internet rang out in chorus: committed for the next four years to “The Hobbit” and some half dozen projects after that, del Toro was already straining, spreading himself too thin. He would never — how could he ever — possibly find the time?

Problem is, the story isn’t true, del Toro told MTV News. He’s not writing a series of vampire books with Chuck Hogan – he wrote them.

“It looks incredibly busy and baroque, but everything has its own place. These things seem to happen simultaneously, but the reality is they are announced simultaneously,” the affable and visionary director said. “The novels – it’s been written already. Chuck Hogan and I have been collaborating for over a year. I wrote the outline for that novel almost two years ago.”

It’s a good thing too, given the “epic” scope del Toro envisions for the project, which traces the lore of vampires all the way from antiquity to the modern age – the type of vampire story that isn’t really told anymore, the type that owes as much to Mesopotamian myths as it does to Bram Stoker.

Indeed, even just a cursory search of vampires on Wikipedia reveals legends and tales of the undead from nearly every culture in history – stories of deceased Eastern Europeans rising from their graves or Old Testament bloodsuckers hungry for a next meal.

And if those ancient stories aren’t really told anymore, well, that’s exactly what attracts them to del Toro, the director said, adding that the release of the trilogy will culminate a lifetime’s worth of fascination with and love for those myths, ideas he’s been “keeping in [his] notebooks ever since the mid-90s.”

“I wanted to find a place to create a vampiric epic that takes you all the way to the modern day, to find out when the vampires started - going beyond Mesopotamian myth, going beyond all of that,” del Toro grinned. “Not the attractive, Brad Pitt-esque, decadent lovers that have sex. I wanted to make them like an alternate species and an alternate spiritual creature to man, and the idea is that the series will flesh out that re-invented vampiric myth - respectful of the lore, but taking you through the ages.”

But while the story will go through history, it’ll start in modern times, del Toro said, revealing details about the first novel’s plot for the first time.

“The first novel is sort of a procedural horror novel, which starts at an investigation of a plane that is essentially like the ship in [Stoker’s] ‘Dracula’ - it just stopped and everybody on board was dead,” del Toro teased, referencing “The Dementer,” a ship Dracula boards to London which arrives with just the Captain alive – the rest of the crew victim to the winged one’s thirst for blood. “And an investigation ensues.

“And what happens is an epidemic,” he continued, connecting disease to the first novel’s title, “The Strain.” “But it’s an epidemic unlike I believe the stuff that is [big] in vampiric fiction.”

“The Strain” will get released sometime next summer.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Addams Family: An Evilution

Postby TheButcher on Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:10 pm

From Hero Complex:
REVIEW: 'Addams Family: An Evilution' is a dark, winking delight

Charles Addams: A Cartoonist's Life
From NPR October 31, 2006:
The Father of the Addams Family
In 1988, when Charles Addams died of a heart attack inside his parked car, his wife made a remark that could have been a caption for one of his cartoons: "He's always been a car buff, so it was a nice way to go," she told The New York Times.

Addams was the creator of the Addams Family — the warped and gruesome stars of magazine cartoons, a TV show and two movies. According to those who knew him, Addams was as strange as some of his characters. His sense of humor resembled that of Uncle Fester, the bald-headed ghoul that Addams once depicted in a movie theater, laughing at a movie that makes the rest of the audience cry.

Addams is the subject of a new biography by Linda Davis, called Charles Addams: A Cartoonist's Life. Davis discusses Addams and his work with Steve Inskeep.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Fievel on Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:45 pm

Good gods do I love the Addams cartoons. This is a must-buy for me. I have a few of his old books and a now out-of-print anthology. I can directly attribute my sense of humor and sarcasm to his cartoons.
Hell, I even have some Charles Addams Christmas cards that I send out one or two of each year (was greatly disappointed that they weren't twisted like most of Addams' work).
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

The Worlds of Back to the Future

Postby TheButcher on Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:27 pm

From BTTF.net:
McFarland releases ‘The Worlds of Back to the Future’ book
A few days ago, author Sorcha Ní Fhlainn contacted BTTF.com via Facebook to inform us of a brand new book of essays she has assembled which has recently been published by McFarland Publishing, called The Worlds of Back to the Future: Critical Essays on the Films. Below is a description of its contents:

A critical examination of the cultural, cinematic, and historical contexts of the Back to the Future trilogy, this book provides a multi-focal representation of the trilogy from several inter-disciplinary fields, including philosophy, literature, music, pop culture, and media and gender studies. Topics include sexual symbolism in the trilogy and the oedipal plotting of the first film; nostalgia and the suburban dream in the cultural climate of the 1980s; generic play and performance throughout the trilogy; the emotional and narrative force provided by the films’ renowned musical scores; the trilogy’s post-modern references and allusions to the Western genre; female representations across the trilogy; and the Lacanian philosophical constructs in the characterizations of Doc Brown and George and Marty McFly.

The new 272-page book retails for $38.00 and is available now
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Random Book News 'Fahrenheit 451'

Postby TheButcher on Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:38 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:35 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:18 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:53 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Peven on Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:12 am

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby TheButcher on Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:07 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:13 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby DennisMM on Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:49 pm

I'm sorry, but Harry Potter even looks like Timothy Hunter. I don't care what Gaiman says. He's just being kind and honorable.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Re: PURE

Postby TheButcher on Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:47 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Red Moon

Postby TheButcher on Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:00 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:37 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:32 am

From The LA TIMES:
On Location: New book presents a photographic history of filming in Los Angeles

Does Microsoft have an iPad-killing tablet in the works?
"Tablet PCs will greatly extend the capabilities of today's laptop computers, allowing users to interact with their computer in exciting new ways and significantly increase the value of the PC in the workplace," Bill Gates said to a lukewarm audience. That was in November 2001, at Comdex, a tech industry trade show. In 2001 -- after an initial tease in 2000 -- Gates showed off a tablet prototype and promised that several manufacturers would produce the devices, designed to run on Windows XP, Microsoft's operating system.

Those tablets, and their subsequent generations, never captured consumers' attention. But this year, the iPad -- which rapidly sold in the millions after its introduction -- changed the tablet landscape. And according to reports, Microsoft is paying attention. The New York Times writes:

Next month, at the 2011 Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas, Microsoft will give it another try, presenting a slew of new slates that it hopes will offer some competition to the Apple iPad, which has quickly become the leader in this market....

Microsoft hopes these slates will offer an alternative to the iPad because they move beyond play, people familiar with the tablets said. “The company believes there is a huge market for business people who want to enjoy a slate for reading newspapers and magazines and then work on Microsoft Word, Excel or PowerPoint while doing work,” explained a person familiar with the company’s tablet plans.

PowerPoint notwithstanding, can you read a book on it? Today's New York Times report makes no mention of whether or not an e-reading application will come with the device, or whether it might have a branded ebook storefront such as Apple's iBookstore or the Kindle store at Amazon.

For its part, Microsoft isn't elaborating -- the company isn't even confirming or denying. It told the L.A. Times, "Unfortunately, Microsoft has nothing to share at this time."

-- Carolyn Kellogg
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:09 pm

From The LA TIMES:
In our pages: A new look at Lawrence of Arabia
Carolyn Kellogg wrote:Lawrence of Arabia may have been immortalized in the 1962 film directed by David Lean and starring Peter O'Toole, but a new biography is worth readers' time, our reviewer Tim Rutten says.

"Hero: The Life and Legend of Lawrence of Arabia" looks at the life of T.E. Lawrence, the Brit who was deeply involved in Mideast politics in the early part of the 20th century.

Author Michael Korda is a longtime editor with a flair for compelling storytelling, Rutten writes.
What Korda accomplishes, beyond delivering a fascinating story well told, is to make the case for Lawrence not only as a protean figure in what we've come to call "asymmetrical warfare" -- the phrase was actually employed by British strategists of his era -- but also as a shrewd, quite humane diplomat....

Korda gives a clear, rather gripping account of Lawrence's vision of what a postwar Middle East might look like -- one with a viable Jewish homeland in Palestine, which he convinced his great ally, the Hashemite prince Feisal , to accept, and rational borders for new, independent Arab nations. The betrayal of legitimate Arab aspirations by the British and French was, Korda writes, "the primary guilt that Lawrence bore, and that explains much of his life from 1922 to his death in 1935," a period in which he worked at literature and life as a private soldier and airman under assumed names.

People interested in the complex and compelling Lawrence have plenty of additional reading options. There have been more than 50 other biographies, that big-screen epic, and Lawrence's two accounts of his war experiences: "Seven Pillars of Wisdom," first published in 1926, and an abridged version, "Revolt in the Desert," which became a bestseller.

-- Carolyn Kellogg
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:49 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheBaxter on Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:11 am

ummm.... $3000???? no thanks.
i wonder how many of those frames lucas added cgi poo into. i'm guessing approximately 15%.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:21 am

If there was any way in the world I could justify spending $3,000 on such a thing I would get it. The packaging looks gorgeous and I certainly want to see the images George thought worthy of collecting in a book.
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TheButcher on Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:28 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:25 pm

Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TheButcher on Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:55 pm

In Book Deals: New Regency Taps Swedish Crime Series 'Three Seconds', Struggling CBS Films Makes Stephen King's 'Stand'
MIKE FLEMING wrote:The book-to-movie business is kicking back into gear. Hoping for another Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, New Regency has just acquired Three Seconds, part of a bestselling Swedish crime novel series by Anders Roslund & Bonge Hellstrom. Shine will produce and they will set a writer quickly. In Three Seconds, an ex-con who works undercover for the Stockholm police is charged with breaking the Polish mob's stranglehold on amphetamine dealing in Sweden prisons. The ex-con gets himself arrested so he can infiltrate the mob in a maximum security prison. Beyond the fact his wife is unaware he's working undercover, the operative's challenge is to crack the ring and get out before he's exposed. The book is the fifth novel in the series, was named Sweden's top crime novel of 2009. The author team is intriguing, considering one's a former journalist, the other an ex-criminal.The book was published by Silver Oak. Regency's Michelle Kroes brought it in and Dan Wilson is supervising.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:01 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: The Hobbit

Postby TheButcher on Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:31 pm

‘The Hobbit’ illustrated by Maurice Sendak? The 1960s masterpiece that could have been
Tony DiTerlizzi goes on a quest for “The Hobbit” that could have been — the abandoned 1960s Maurice Sendak adaptation.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Jennifer Government

Postby TheButcher on Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:49 am

Max Barry's Jennifer Government is coming true!
http://maxbarry.com/jennifergovernment/

From MTV:
Ecko Loyalty Program Offers 20% Discount For Tattoo
This is not an April Fools' joke: If you get either Ecko Unlimited's Rhino logo or Mark Ecko Cut & Sew Shears logo tattooed on your body, you can get 20 percent off for life at Ecko stores! What?! Is this the worst loyalty program ever or best?

A bargain tattoo far? Fashion fan gets inked with Ecko logo in exchange for lifelong company discount... of just 20 per cent
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby minstrel on Tue May 17, 2011 1:54 pm

minstrel

Postby DennisMM on Tue May 17, 2011 10:36 pm

Potentially very interesting there, minstrel. I wonder how frank he'll be.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby TheButcher on Fri May 20, 2011 11:30 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Conspiracy of the Planet of the Apes

Postby TheButcher on Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:34 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Robopocalypse

Postby TheButcher on Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:30 am

From io9:
Robopocalypse may well be the summer's best movie - in book form
Cool robots unlike any you've seen before battle humans in a near-future world where computerized cars and military drones are out to smash all homo sapiens.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Crazy 8 Press

Postby TheButcher on Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:13 am

Peter David Co-Founds Crazy 8 – An Image Comics For Science Fiction And Fantasy Novels
Rich Johnston wrote:The Camelot Papers is a new fantasy novel by Peter David.

But you won’t find it in a bookshop. Nor from any publisher you may have heard of previously.

Even if it has a cover from Fallen Angel‘s J.K. Woodward.

Instead it will be published by Crazy 8, a new online publisher selling new novels and short stories from the established science fiction and fantasy authors who have founded it.

The founders are Peter David, Michael Jan Friedman, Robert Greenberger, Glenn Hauman, Aaron Rosenberg, and Howard Weinstein.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Don Winslow's 'Savages'

Postby TheButcher on Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:16 am

From Jacket Copy:
Don Winslow's 'Savages' gets film and prequel
Mystery writer Don Winslow is getting an unexpected bonus out of Oliver Stone's adaptation of his book "Savages," about pot growers in Southern California getting in too deep.

First, the film begins shooting next month with the Oscar-winning director at the helm. With Stone comes a star-heavy cast, including John Travolta, Uma Thurman, Emile Hirsch, Salma Hayek, Taylor Kitsch, Blake Lively, Aaron Johnson and Benicio Del Toro.

So what's the bonus? Winslow is now writing a prequel to "Savages," an idea that came out of working with Stone and screenplay co-author Shane Salerno, Deadline Hollywood reports. Not coincidentally, the new prequel will be published by Simon & Schuster around the time of the film's release in 2012.

"Savages," which juxtaposes high-end California living with the dangers of the drug trade, includes a powerful drug cartel, a beautiful girl's kidnapping and a dangerous criminal scheme. Our reviewer called it a "marvelous, adrenaline-juiced roller coaster of a novel" and it includes lines such as: "You can spend fifty thousand years practicing meditation or you can buy a gun."

-- Carolyn Kellogg

LA TIMES Book review: 'Savages' by Don Winslow
August 07, 2010|By Sarah Weinman | Special to the Los Angeles Times

I'm of two minds about whether "Savages," Don Winslow's marvelous, adrenaline-juiced roller coaster of a novel, is a rookie reader's best introduction to his work. There's a delicious sense of satisfaction in seeing how Winslow has chiseled his increasingly lean prose to diamond-like precision over the course of 12 novels and fused the themes of "The Power of the Dog" (2005), his epic account of the country's never-ending war on drugs, with the razzmatazz syntax of his surf-detective novel "The Dawn Patrol" (2008) to produce something heady and new. "Savages" is both a departure and a culmination, pyrotechnic braggadocio and deep meditation on contemporary American culture.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:17 am

DEADLINE EXCLUSIVE:
Don Winslow To Write Prequel To 'Savages' As Oliver Stone Ramps Up Production
MIKE FLEMING wrote:Simon & Schuster has made a deal for Don Winslow to write a prequel novel to Savages, his bestseller that forms the basis of the film that Oliver Stone will begin shooting for Universal Pictures July 6, with Taylor Kitsch, Blake Lively, Aaron Johnson, John Travolta, Uma Thurman, Emile Hirsch, Salma Hayek and Benicio Del Toro starring. Simon & Schuster's Jofie Ferrari-Adler acquired the book from CAA. The Story Factory made his publishing deal.

Savages, a book that got wide acclaim last year before its paperback publication (The New York Times named it one of the top 10 books of 2010), focuses on a couple of Laguna-based pot growers who are muscled by a Mexican drug cartel that kidnaps O, a young woman who's their best friend and occasional bed partner. Faced with an impossibly high ransom, the growers begin hijacking the cartel's own shipments to ransom back their friend. That book has something of a Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid climax, so a sequel wasn't in the cards. The idea of the prequel book came from Shane Salerno, who wrote the movie script with Winslow and Stone. The prequel fleshes out the relationship between the pot growers (played by Kitsch and Johnson) and O (played by Lively), and will add interaction with characters from Winslow's other novels that include The Winter of Frankie Machine and The Power of the Dog. Winslow is already deep into the writing and the book and the hardcover will be ready for publication in proximity of the movie, which will be released in 2012.

Stone optioned the book on his own a year ago, set the complete package up at Universal and goes into production on the $50 million film next month. Moritz Borman and Eric Kopeloff are producing and Salerno exec producing.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:19 am

From The New York Times:
Books of The Times: When New-Wave Drug Dealers Run Afoul of an Old-Wave Cartel
Janet Maslin wrote:“Don Winslow is an author currently living in the United States, most recognized for his crime and mystery novels.” That’s the one-sentence entirety of the biographical notice Mr. Winslow has attracted on Wikipedia, though he has a dozen novels, a couple of movie deals, a slew of ardent reviews, a whip-cracking way with words and a whole lot of Southern California surfer baditude to his credit.

Those earlier books (11 published here, one available in England with no set American publication date) have much sparkle to recommend them. But they aren’t “Savages,” the one that will jolt Mr. Winslow into a different league. “Savages” is his 13th and most boisterously stylish crime book, his gutsiest and most startling bid for attention.

It’s clear that “Savages” has no dearth of nerve from the snow-white, one-page opening chapter, which consists of exactly two words. The first one isn’t “thank.” The second one is “you.” As opening gambits go, this one is pure kamikaze, and it could have backfired accordingly. But Mr. Winslow has written the killer book to back it up.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:48 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:56 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Sat Jul 02, 2011 6:04 pm

Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Re: SUPERGODS review

Postby TheButcher on Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:26 am

From The Independent:
Supergods: Our World in the Age of the Superhero, By Grant Morrison - Is it a bird? Is it a plane? Is it human destiny?
David Barnett wrote:Like a primary-coloured blur streaking across the skies, Grant Morrison's Supergods arrives just in time to put the summer invasion of the cineplexes by an army of garishly costumed superheroes into historical and social context.

The superhero is a part of modern life. Aside from those of the twin pantheons of American comic book publishing, Marvel and DC, superhero-style characters can be found infiltrating all aspects of the media, to sell cereals or insurance, fronting newspaper finance columns or car washes. But it wasn't always so. It wasn't until 1938, one of the dark years between the US Depression and the start of the Second World War, that Superman made his appearance in the debut issue of Action Comics.

Morrison chronicles the ensuing different phases of comics history with relish and a fanboy's attention to detail. So the escapist fantasies of the war years give way to the space-age optimism of the Sixties, then via the dark, brooding, violence of Eighties incarnations to the post-modern, post-9/11 repositioning of the superhero.

There is no shortage of non-fiction treatises on comics culture, but Morrison's account differs in several ways. For one, he's no mere student of the art form: he has written the adventures of some of the most iconic figures in the world of comics, including Batman and Superman. But nor is this just an insider's eye view. Morrison has always been more of an outsider; his tenure on even the most traditional superhero titles was characterised by knowing, self-referential weirdness and radical, zeitgeisty re-imaginings.

Like the best superheroes, Morrison's book has a secret identity. Peel away the mask of social history and you find beneath a strange multi-persona'd beast. It is part "boy that comics built" memoir, detailing Morrison's upbringing in Glasgow in the Sixties and Seventies, his parents' break-up, his retreat into the world of four-colour fantasies and emergence into the comics industry via punk and Eighties nihilism. (His diary entry for his 19th birthday, in 1979, reads: "Soon I'll be twenty! Thirty! Dead dead dead!").

But perhaps what lifts Supergods above anything else on the market is the beating heart of the book: a rather outrageous account of a drug trip Morrison took in Kathmandu which, he says, exposed him to pan-dimensional intelligences who planted the seed in his mind that fiction is just another type of reality as viable as our own.

It's a big ask of his readers but somehow, in the context of the suspension-of-disbelief world he asks us to inhabit for the duration of Supergods, it works, especially when taken with Morrison's conviction that mankind is inevitably going to embrace its superhuman destiny thanks to spiralling advances in medicine and technology.

Supergods is a rather astonishing piece of work that leaves you feeling pretty much as those first readers of Superman in 1938 must have felt: slightly more aware of our place in the universe and cautiously optimistic about the future.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: "How to Defeat Your Own Clone"

Postby TheButcher on Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:38 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

PreviousNext

Return to AICN Books