R.I.P. Madeleine L'Engle

This forum caters to our literary tastes.

R.I.P. Madeleine L'Engle

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Fri Sep 07, 2007 2:39 pm

Author of "A the Wrinkle Inna Time", she died of a the natural causes.

Associated Press wrote: HARTFORD, Connecticut (AP) -- Author Madeleine L'Engle, whose novel "A Wrinkle in Time" has been enjoyed by generations of schoolchildren and adults since the 1960s, has died, her publicist said Friday. She was 88.

L'Engle died Thursday at a nursing home in Litchfield of natural causes, according to Jennifer Doerr, publicity manager for publisher Farrar, Straus and Giroux.

The Newbery Medal winner wrote more than 60 books, including fantasies, poetry and memoirs, often highlighting spiritual themes and her Christian faith.

Although L'Engle was often labeled a children's author, she disliked that classification. In a 1993 Associated Press interview, she said she did not write down to children.

"In my dreams, I never have an age," she said. "I never write for any age group in mind. When people do, they tend to be tolerant and condescending and they don't write as well as they can write.

"When you underestimate your audience, you're cutting yourself off from your best work."

"A Wrinkle in Time" -- which L'Engle said was rejected repeatedly before it found a publisher in 1962 -- won the American Library Association's 1963 Newbery Medal for best American children's book. Her "A Ring of Endless Light" was a Newbery Honor Book, or medal runner-up, in 1981.

In 2004, President Bush awarded her a National Humanities Medal.

"Wrinkle" tells the story of adolescent Meg Murry, her genius little brother Charles Wallace, and their battle against evil as they search across the universe for their missing father, a scientist.

L'Engle followed it up with further adventures of the Murry children, including "A Wind in the Door," 1973; "A Swiftly Tilting Planet," 1978, which won an American Book Award; and "Many Waters," 1986.
DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN

Postby Vegeta on Fri Sep 07, 2007 2:40 pm

Well she lived a good long life... RIP.
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby Nordling on Fri Sep 07, 2007 2:45 pm

Wow, I had no idea she was that old. My thoughts go out to her family.

A WRINKLE IN TIME is a terrific novel, with seriously deep concepts for a children's book. It's been a long time since I read it - perhaps I will do so again.
Nordling
AIRWOLF

Postby lyra belacqua on Fri Sep 07, 2007 2:47 pm

I loved "A Wrinkle in Time." I loved the whole universe it created. This makes me horribly sad, but I'm totally going to find my old copy of "A Wrinkle in Time" when I get home tonight.
lyra belacqua
GEEK GODDESS

Postby judderman on Fri Sep 07, 2007 2:52 pm

The closest thing America had to CS Lewis.

RIP
judderman
UNGRATEFUL BASTARD

Postby TheButcher on Fri Sep 07, 2007 3:20 pm

That sucks!
She really captured the creepiness of adults when she wrote the character Mr. Jenkins.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby The Ginger Man on Fri Sep 07, 2007 3:32 pm

I loved "A Wrinkle In Time," but the sequel "A Wind in the Door" will always be my favorite of her books, and Charles Wallace will always be my favorite of her characters.

Sad to hear she passed, but she certainly lived a full, productive life.
The Ginger Man
Hong Kong Drizzle

Postby Wolfpack on Fri Sep 07, 2007 6:14 pm

Good night, sweet princess.
"Alright Shaggy - you and Scooby head over that way. The girls and I will go this way."
Wolfpack
AIRWOLF

Postby monorail77 on Fri Sep 07, 2007 7:09 pm

NOOOOO!! The Wrinkle in Time trilogy are some of my fave books of all time.

Thanks so much for those, Miss L'Engle. RIP.
"All we have is language; that's the one tool that enables us to grasp hold of our lives and transcend our fate by understanding it."
-Harlan Ellison

monorail77
AIRWOLF

Postby The Vicar on Fri Sep 07, 2007 7:22 pm

A terrible loss.
Getting used to that these days,
but it doesn't take away the pain.
Bless you, Madeleine.
You did good.
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby magicmonkey on Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:23 pm

Man... I remember seeing her skipping down that mountain side every saturday or sunday morning, she looked so young and carefree and had great, usually wholesome adventures each week

Ah, shit, I'm thinking of her sister Laura Engle aren't I?
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby Lady Sheridan on Sat Sep 08, 2007 3:12 am

A Wrinkle in Time still remains the hardest book I ever read as a kid, but amazing at the same time. I still remember ordering it from the Scholastic Catalog.

There's too few authors writing quality books for children rather than quick cash makers. She is a definite loss to the literary community.
Lady Sheridan
RED

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Sat Sep 08, 2007 4:48 am

Been a long time since I read Wrinkle. I bought the box set a year or so ago. I should get to reading them. Whenever I sub in an elementary class I always check the bookshelves to see what they have and smile whenever I find Wrinkle. I found a book called An Acceptable Time that is labeled as a companion to Wrinkle and the teacher was kind enough to let me have it. I was kinda bummed that the movie turned out the way it did. Here's hoping the Weinsteins still have the rights and they'll let me have a crack at it.

Thank you Ms. L'Engle.
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Re: R.I.P. Madeleine L'Engle

Postby TheButcher on Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:19 pm

‘Frozen’ Director Jennifer Lee to Adapt ‘A Wrinkle in Time’ for Disney (EXCLUSIVE)
Marc Graser & Dave McNary wrote:Jennifer Lee, who wrote, and co-directed “Frozen” with Chris Buck, has chosen her next project: “A Wrinkle in Time.”

Lee will write the bigscreen adaptation of Madeleine L’Engle’s book for Disney in which children travel through time and visit strange worlds in order to find their missing scientist father.

Published in 1962, “Wrinkle in Time” was one of Lee’s favorite novels as a child, and she impressed Disney executives with her take on the project, which emphasizes a strong female-driven narrative and creatively approaches the science fiction and world-building elements of the book.

While Lee adapts “A Wrinkle in Time,” she will continue in her role as part of Walt Disney Animation’s story trust and remain active in projects in development at the division that scored with “Frozen” — its biggest hit ever at the box office with nearly $1.3 billion — and has “Big Hero 6,” based on a Marvel property, out Nov. 7.

There is no director yet attached to “A Wrinkle in Time” that Jim Whitaker will produce with Catherine Hand.

Jeff Stockwell (“Bridge to Terabithia”) had initially tackled the screenplay when the project was first announced in 2010.

“A Wrinkle in Time” is the first book in L’Engle’s “Time Quartet” series that also includes “A Wind in the Door,” “Many Waters,” and “A Swiftly Tilting Planet.”

Whitaker most recently produced Disney’s “The Odd Life of Timothy Green.” His credits also include “American Gangster” and “Robin Hood.” Hand already had produced a “Wrinkle in Time” TV movie for ABC that aired in 2003.

Lee, who also co-wrote Disney’s “Wreck-It Ralph,” is repped by CAA and Code Entertainment.

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: R.I.P. Madeleine L'Engle

Postby judderman on Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:37 am

Yeesh. I wouldn't want to be the one to tackle that. That property is a teetering pile of cans of worms. All power to her, her resume suggests she's a good writer. But hoooh boy there are SO many ways this could go wrong. Which is probably why no one's adapted it yet.
judderman
UNGRATEFUL BASTARD

Re: A Wrinkle in Time

Postby TheButcher on Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:37 pm

judderman wrote:Yeesh. I wouldn't want to be the one to tackle that. That property is a teetering pile of cans of worms. All power to her, her resume suggests she's a good writer. But hoooh boy there are SO many ways this could go wrong. Which is probably why no one's adapted it yet.

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re:

Postby TheButcher on Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:39 pm

magicmonkey wrote:Man... I remember seeing her skipping down that mountain side every saturday or sunday morning, she looked so young and carefree and had great, usually wholesome adventures each week

Ah, shit, I'm thinking of her sister Laura Engle aren't I?

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Return to AICN Books