December 07 BotM Thread - SHARP OBJECTS!

This forum caters to our literary tastes.

How Sharp Are Your Objects? (Rate the book!)

10 - Sharp!
11%
11%
11%
33%
11%
No votes
No votes
No votes
11%
1 - Dull...
11%
Did Not Finish
No votes

Total votes : 9

December 07 BotM Thread - SHARP OBJECTS!

Postby thomasgaffney on Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:23 am

So here we go.

Post your thoughts and comments below, keeping in mind the ground rules:

1) Spoilers. Assume spoilers before setting foot in this thread. However, we'll do our best to keep that to a minimum for the first three weeks of the month. After that, anything goes. Until then, all spoilery material will be tiny texted.

2) Courtesy. Don't get carried away. This is a discussion, not a debate or an argument. Anyone who gets out of line, Maui will make stand in the corner. (But the trick is that it'll be in a cornerless circular room which will send you into an endless recursive loop until madness sets in.)

As mentioned, free discussion will begin in the third week of the month, or when most participants have finished (whichever comes first.). And at the end of the month there will be a poll to see how The Zone rates this book.

DISCUSS!!!!!!!

EDIT - Poll to be added in the final week of December
Last edited by thomasgaffney on Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:45 am, edited 4 times in total.
find me: twitter and goodreads
find my book: amazon and apple and barnes & noble
thomasgaffney
a might unpredictable

Postby thomasgaffney on Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:04 am

Opened early, cause I might be busy with work over the next couple days.

Stopped by my local Barnes & Noble and picked this up last night.
thomasgaffney
a might unpredictable

Postby darkjedijaina on Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:09 am

anyone started this yet? i'm going to start reading it again this weekend.
darkjedijaina
BAD ASH

Postby Maui on Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:14 am

darkjedijaina wrote:anyone started this yet? i'm going to start reading it again this weekend.

I've got my copy DJJ. I'll probably start it this weekend.
Maui
WoWie

Postby thomasgaffney on Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:15 am

I haven't started yet, but maybe this weekend.
thomasgaffney
a might unpredictable

Postby darkjedijaina on Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:18 am

groovy. i'm anxious to see if you all find it as hard to put down, yet hard to keep going as i did. heh.
darkjedijaina
BAD ASH

Postby Dee E. Goppstober on Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:25 am

This weekend most evidently is going to be a veritable Sharp Objects Reading FEAST!

I got it too (they had it on sale at the bookshop :oops: ) - and am starting it... guess when?
Last edited by Dee E. Goppstober on Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dee E. Goppstober
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby darkjedijaina on Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:26 am

right now? you're supposed to post that in the 'what are you doing right now' thread! ;)
darkjedijaina
BAD ASH

Postby Dee E. Goppstober on Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:28 am

darkjedijaina wrote:right now? you're supposed to post that in the 'what are you doing right now' thread! ;)

No - no! Not right now- it's not the weekend yet! Right now- I have to go to sleep. Close eyes. Relax brain. Start REM.
Dee E. Goppstober
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby havocSchultz on Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:53 am

Dee E. Goppstober wrote: Close eyes. Relax brain. Start REM.

What's the frequency, Kenneth...?

And what's this book about...?

Does it contain actual sharp objects...?

Or is the title more of a Naked Lunch kinda thing...?
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby darkjedijaina on Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:59 am

here's the other thread about it.
darkjedijaina
BAD ASH

Postby darkjedijaina on Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:50 pm

I've always been partial to the image of liquor as lubrication - a layer of protection from all the sharp thoughts in your head.

I read the book in its entirety again today. That sentence struck me as a description for what you need when reading this book.
darkjedijaina
BAD ASH

Postby Dee E. Goppstober on Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:19 pm

havocSchultz wrote:
Dee E. Goppstober wrote: Close eyes. Relax brain. Start REM.

What's the frequency, Kenneth...?

And what's this book about...?

Does it contain actual sharp objects...?

Or is the title more of a Naked Lunch kinda thing...?

It was more like a Man on the Moon. I've started reading this now- but haven't stumbled upon sharp objects of any kind yet.

Another thing I'm missing is the booze - in reference to djj's suggestion.... sigh. I might have to go and grab myself a brandy.
Dee E. Goppstober
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby Maui on Sat Dec 01, 2007 12:01 am

darkjedijaina wrote:I've always been partial to the image of liquor as lubrication - a layer of protection from all the sharp thoughts in your head.

I read the book in its entirety again today. That sentence struck me as a description for what you need when reading this book.

Very nice DJJ - I like that!
Maui
WoWie

Postby darkjedijaina on Sat Dec 01, 2007 12:23 am

Maui wrote:
darkjedijaina wrote:I've always been partial to the image of liquor as lubrication - a layer of protection from all the sharp thoughts in your head.

Very nice DJJ - I like that!

it's just a sentence taken out of the book to describe what i think you need whilst reading the book - a layer of protection from the contents of the book itself.
darkjedijaina
BAD ASH

Postby Vegeta on Sat Dec 01, 2007 12:40 am

I am only about 15 pages in and I really am enjoying the pace... brisk!

Seriously, pretty good thus far.
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby minstrel on Sat Dec 01, 2007 1:43 am

Is it about objects that are sharp? Or is it about a character named Sharp who objects to things?

It makes a difference, y'know.
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby darkjedijaina on Sat Dec 01, 2007 9:58 am

did you not read the review i wrote for it? ;)
darkjedijaina
BAD ASH

Postby Vegeta on Sat Dec 01, 2007 5:21 pm

Folks review things on this site?

You don't say... :wink:
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby DaleTremont on Sat Dec 01, 2007 5:31 pm

Just bought this today. The blurb on the back made it seem a bit Lifetime movie of the week for me but I started reading it and it won me over with the introduction to the editor: "A belly. A smell." That's a little bit brilliant right there. Protruding paunch literally the first thing to get close to you followed one-two by a whiff of "cigarettes and old coffee."
DaleTremont
Loincloth Bronson

Postby darkjedijaina on Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:29 am

DaleTremont wrote:Just bought this today. The blurb on the back made it seem a bit Lifetime movie of the week for me but I started reading it and it won me over with the introduction to the editor: "A belly. A smell." That's a little bit brilliant right there. Protruding paunch literally the first thing to get close to you followed one-two by a whiff of "cigarettes and old coffee."

hahaha. as you keep reading, you'll see it's a bit too dark and dirty for a Lifetime movie.
darkjedijaina
BAD ASH

Postby DaleTremont on Mon Dec 03, 2007 2:17 am

darkjedijaina wrote:
DaleTremont wrote:Just bought this today. The blurb on the back made it seem a bit Lifetime movie of the week for me but I started reading it and it won me over with the introduction to the editor: "A belly. A smell." That's a little bit brilliant right there. Protruding paunch literally the first thing to get close to you followed one-two by a whiff of "cigarettes and old coffee."

hahaha. as you keep reading, you'll see it's a bit too dark and dirty for a Lifetime movie.

Whaa?? Lifetime movies are the darkest and dirtiest shit out there. Seriously. Every time I've seen my stepmom glued to the TV screen it's been some Lifetime thing with the attractively aged journalist and mother of two fending off her violent ex-husband as he knocks her about before stealing the kids (before she finds her inner woMAN, pulls herself together, and TORCHES the bastard's ass.) Or some kind of sexual molestation thing with lots of screaming and crying. But I digress.

What I meant to say is, thus far I'm quite enjoying it (but not in the way my stepmom enjoys Lifetime movies, because I think there's some kind of sick sado-masochistic thing going on there.......ummm......but I digress again.)
DaleTremont
Loincloth Bronson

Postby Maui on Mon Dec 03, 2007 2:18 am

DaleTremont wrote:
darkjedijaina wrote:

Whaa?? Lifetime movies are the darkest and dirtiest shit out there. Seriously. Every time I've seen my stepmom glued to the TV screen it's been some Lifetime thing with the attractively aged journalist and mother of two fending off her violent ex-husband as he knocks her about before stealing the kids (before she finds her inner woMAN, pulls herself together, and TORCHES the bastard's ass.) Or some kind of sexual molestation thing with lots of screaming and crying. But I digress.

What I meant to say is, thus far I'm quite enjoying it (but not in the way my stepmom enjoys Lifetime movies, because I think there's some kind of sick sado-masochistic thing going on there.......ummm......but I digress again.)

That kinda of sounds like a Danielle Steele movie.
Maui
WoWie

Postby darkjedijaina on Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:40 am

yeah, Lifetime movies, IMO, don't go as deep into the rabbit hole as this book does. They just skim the surface. They don't actually show anything, they just imply it. At least, that's been my experience. But, I digress.
darkjedijaina
BAD ASH

Postby Vegeta on Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:21 pm

So far, so good... I am about 70 pages in and I have to say...
I am suspecting that Camille's mother is somehow involved. The eyewitness account, Camille's sisters death (at about the same age of the victems), Camille's mothers insistence that she knew the girls. It seems strange, but Camille's entire family is totally fucked up so I can see it... just can't connect the dots yet.
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby Maui on Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:13 pm

I'll likely be starting this book this weekend. Looks like a quick interesting read. :)
Maui
WoWie

Postby DaleTremont on Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:54 pm

Vegeta wrote:So far, so good... I am about 70 pages in and I have to say...
I am suspecting that Camille's mother is somehow involved. The eyewitness account, Camille's sisters death (at about the same age of the victems), Camille's mothers insistence that she knew the girls. It seems strange, but Camille's entire family is totally fucked up so I can see it... just can't connect the dots yet.

And yet Camille's mother is made out to be so perfectly evil, it must be some sort of diversion to distract us from the real killer? Or maybe she's guilty but just not in a way we'd suspect. I have to admit, I'm the worst at figuring out these murder mysteries. Anytime I think it's Professor Plum in the library with the wrench, it turns out to be Mrs. White in the kitchen with the candlestick....you get my drift.
DaleTremont
Loincloth Bronson

Postby Vegeta on Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:25 pm

DaleTremont wrote:

And yet Camille's mother is made out to be so perfectly evil, it must be some sort of diversion to distract us from the real killer? Or maybe she's guilty but just not in a way we'd suspect. I have to admit, I'm the worst at figuring out these murder mysteries. Anytime I think it's Professor Plum in the library with the wrench, it turns out to be Mrs. White in the kitchen with the candlestick....you get my drift.

Exactly, too much going on to say for sure, but I certainly wanted to be able to say "Ha, I saw it coming"... if what I think is somewhat true. :wink:
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby darkjedijaina on Thu Dec 06, 2007 2:27 am

I'm glad you guys are enjoying it thus far. I won't confirm or deny the musings of the killer though, you'll have to continue reading...
darkjedijaina
BAD ASH

Postby CeeBeeUK on Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:40 pm

DaleTremont wrote:

I started this yesterday and have reached about the same point as Vegeta. I have to say, I think Amma is involved, we know the mother can screw people up...

Just wanted to lay my predictions out too!
CeeBeeUK
WAIRWOLF GAME

Postby Vegeta on Fri Dec 07, 2007 1:21 pm

CeeBeeUK wrote:
DaleTremont wrote:

I started this yesterday and have reached about the same point as Vegeta. I have to say, I think Amma is involved, we know the mother can screw people up...

Just wanted to lay my predictions out too!

Seeming more and more the case the farther I get into the book, about half way through now.

The big question mark is the pulled teeth... what the f!@# is that about? It's the clue that is just boggling me at this point.
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby DaleTremont on Fri Dec 07, 2007 4:00 pm

Finished it. I'm gonna wait to talk about it till everyone else is done so I don't accidentally give something away.
DaleTremont
Loincloth Bronson

Postby Dee E. Goppstober on Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:41 pm

I finished it too. Left it at the airport lounge for someone else to pick up - because I think it's well worth a read.

Two things to throw in there:

1.) Although I thought the story was pretty good, and there were some good lines to be found in there - I occasionally got this slight feeling of irritation about the narrator, as in: dammit, woman, GET OVER IT already!!! I mean- it must be shit growing up in a town like that, with such a family- but don't let it ruin your whole life! The negativity and the complete inability of the main character to sort her life out really really depressed me.

2.) Having said that- I did think it was a very honest story. Although Camille's behaviour really exasperated me- I guess I recognise some of it (which makes it all the more depressing, of course;))

All in all- not a very happy book, really...
Dee E. Goppstober
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby DaleTremont on Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:00 pm

SPOILERS!!!!!

Dee E. Goppstober wrote:I finished it too. Left it at the airport lounge for someone else to pick up - because I think it's well worth a read.

1.) Although I thought the story was pretty good, and there were some good lines to be found in there - I occasionally got this slight feeling of irritation about the narrator, as in: dammit, woman, GET OVER IT already!!! I mean- it must be shit growing up in a town like that, with such a family- but don't let it ruin your whole life! The negativity and the complete inability of the main character to sort her life out really really depressed me.

2.) Having said that- I did think it was a very honest story. Although Camille's behaviour really exasperated me- I guess I recognise some of it (which makes it all the more depressing, of course;))

Yeah I have to say my number one hangup going in was the fact that the protagonist was obviously a cutter, which generally lends itself to moody self-indulgence and poor-little-rich-girl syndrome. But then the body covered in words etched into the skin was a fairly original twist on that, and overly-poetic though it might have been, I kinda got into the thing where she feels certain words flair up at certain moments. Sick, twisted fuck that she was I found myself relating :twisted: , plus I felt like there was a humorous bent to that which made it all more...digestible? Less syrupy misery if that makes any sense.

I'm still on the fence about the whole Mom-Hurts-Kids-To-Take-Care-Of-Them syndrome (and yes, ahem, I did forget the actual term.) That's become a fairly standard TV twist at this point- I'm pretty sure it's been in vogue for a while so it wasn't "shocking." Then again, Flynn seems to kind of scknowledge that ever so slyly. I remember in the beginning Camille mentions something about witness statements mirroring dialogue on Law and Order. To her credit, though, it's really hard to surprise us jaded readers, and in the end I think Sharp Objects was less about the murder mystery and more about dysfunctional family.

And on that note- Amma. I loved her character. Because scarily enough, there are some conniving little 13 year old bitches with pert breats who fuck way before they're ready and party harder than Keith Richards. And if anyone remembers being 13, that was absolutely the age at which kids couldn't/wouldn't restrain their cruelty. So all that spoke volumes to me.

Bit of a rambling summation but anyway, it was a good read. I tore through it.
DaleTremont
Loincloth Bronson

Postby Maui on Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:10 pm

Dee E. Goppstober wrote:I finished it too. Left it at the airport lounge for someone else to pick up - because I think it's well worth a read.

Oh dear! I'm not gonna read Dale's comments - as she has spoilers - but this will annoy me to no end if the lead character likes to wallow in misery a wee bit too much. However, gotta read it first to form my own opinion. :)
Maui
WoWie

Postby Vegeta on Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:41 pm

I finished it this weekend as well. I enjoyed it, and will eloborate futher when I have a chance.

Also, I was half right... yeah, me!
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby DaleTremont on Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:15 pm

Book Bump!
DaleTremont
Loincloth Bronson

Postby Ribbons on Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:47 pm

DaleTremont wrote:I'm still on the fence about the whole Mom-Hurts-Kids-To-Take-Care-Of-Them syndrome (and yes, ahem, I did forget the actual term.)

Is it Munchausen's Syndrome?
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby darkjedijaina on Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:53 pm

Ribbons wrote:
DaleTremont wrote:I'm still on the fence about the whole Mom-Hurts-Kids-To-Take-Care-Of-Them syndrome (and yes, ahem, I did forget the actual term.)

I believe so. Only they said Munchausen's Syndrome by Proxy.

I have to agree that the end was depressing as hell. That's what made it stay with you though. That's what keeps it there in your mind. If all had ended well, it would have been like those Lifetime movies. Instead, you're left with a wrenching pain in your gut, a mental slice through your own skin, as it were.
darkjedijaina
BAD ASH

Postby Maui on Wed Dec 12, 2007 4:11 pm

I started this last night. So far so good. It's her first novel - so I'll cut her some slack.

However going from reading His Dark Materials to Sharp Objects :roll:

Shall we say it's like going from a high performance Porsche to a beat up Hyundai.

Yes, I will admit, I'm a huge book snob.
Maui
WoWie

Postby DaleTremont on Wed Dec 12, 2007 4:21 pm

darkjedijaina wrote:
Ribbons wrote:

I have to agree that the end was depressing as hell. That's what made it stay with you though. That's what keeps it there in your mind. If all had ended well, it would have been like those Lifetime movies. Instead, you're left with a wrenching pain in your gut, a mental slice through your own skin, as it were.

What I liked about the ending was that SPOILERS!!!! Kansas City Detective doesn't go back to her. Because seriously, if a guy saw a chick was covered in words etched into her skin, no way would he stick around for her "inner beauty." And they don't make a big deal out of it either. It was just kind of off the cuff, he never spoke to her again. That was very anti-Lifetime.
DaleTremont
Loincloth Bronson

Postby Ribbons on Thu Dec 13, 2007 6:21 am

DaleTremont wrote:
darkjedijaina wrote:hahaha. as you keep reading, you'll see it's a bit too dark and dirty for a Lifetime movie.

Whaa?? Lifetime movies are the darkest and dirtiest shit out there. Seriously.

Tonight: Meredith Baxter-Birney gets beaten with a rod, in a Lifetime original, "Rod"...
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Dee E. Goppstober on Thu Dec 13, 2007 6:36 am

DaleTremont wrote:
darkjedijaina wrote:
Ribbons wrote:

What I liked about the ending was that SPOILERS!!!! Kansas City Detective doesn't go back to her. Because seriously, if a guy saw a chick was covered in words etched into her skin, no way would he stick around for her "inner beauty." And they don't make a big deal out of it either. It was just kind of off the cuff, he never spoke to her again. That was very anti-Lifetime.

Yeah, I liked that too - bitter but honest.

Maui wrote:I started this last night. So far so good. It's her first novel - so I'll cut her some slack.

However going from reading His Dark Materials to Sharp Objects :roll:

Shall we say it's like going from a high performance Porsche to a beat up Hyundai.

Yes, I will admit, I'm a huge book snob.

I would actually argue that writing-wise those two books... hm - I think your car metaphor is a stretch.
Dee E. Goppstober
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby thomasgaffney on Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:07 pm

Bumped because a poll has been added, for those of you who are finished.....
thomasgaffney
a might unpredictable

Postby Maui on Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:02 pm

Dee E. Goppstober wrote:
I would actually argue that writing-wise those two books... hm - I think your car metaphor is a stretch.

Not for me. ;)

I suppose I should elaborate, eh? I just find the writing, sentence structure a bit simplistic is all. Yeah I'm exaggerating with the car metaphor - I just expect a certain quality of writing when reading a book. So far I have not found that yet. This may be one of those book clubs where I don't participate that heavily. I don't want to be a downer for the rest of the discussion.
Maui
WoWie

Postby Dee E. Goppstober on Sun Dec 16, 2007 8:39 pm

Maui wrote:
Dee E. Goppstober wrote:

Not for me. ;)

I suppose I should elaborate, eh? I just find the writing, sentence structure a bit simplistic is all. Yeah I'm exaggerating with the car metaphor - I just expect a certain quality of writing when reading a book. So far I have not found that yet. This may be one of those book clubs where I don't participate that heavily. I don't want to be a downer for the rest of the discussion.

Pha - a downer??? - you're NEVER a downer. I'm a bit in non-participatory mode too though.
Dee E. Goppstober
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby Maui on Sun Dec 16, 2007 11:20 pm

Dee E. Goppstober wrote:
I'm a bit in non-participatory mode too though.

It's the holidays I think.
Maui
WoWie

Postby Vegeta on Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:28 am

Just haven't had times to write some proper thoughts here, what with the Zonies and the Holidays and all. I have a couple of days off coming up and will get some thoughts down proper. Oh, I gave Sharp Objects an 8, but will elaborate with the Vegeta scale in the near future.
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby thomasgaffney on Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:44 am

Dee E. Goppstober wrote:I'm a bit in non-participatory mode too though.

There's actually more participation than I expected in this month's BotM thread, what with the holidays and all.....
thomasgaffney
a might unpredictable

Postby Maui on Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:02 pm

I'm gonna finish the book this week. So I'll be able to ramble a bit on Objects by Friday, if not sooner.
Maui
WoWie

Next

Return to AICN Books