The Tales of Beedle the Bard

This forum caters to our literary tastes.

The Tales of Beedle the Bard

Postby beastie on Thu Nov 01, 2007 8:28 am

There's a "Spin-Off" to Deathly Hallows, but evidently only 7 are being printed?!

http://tinyurl.com/ysa4s2

Does anyone know anything about this and if it will ever go into mass publication?
beastie
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby so sorry on Thu Nov 01, 2007 8:46 am

beastie wrote:There's a "Spin-Off" to Deathly Hallows, but evidently only 7 are being printed?!

http://tinyurl.com/ysa4s2

Does anyone know anything about this and if it will ever go into mass publication?

Just read the acticle. What don't you follow?

She hand made 7 copies, one for charity (thus the story on CNN) and six for her friends.

Will she mass produce it? Of course she will.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Ribbons on Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:24 am

Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby bamf on Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:34 am

wow. fucking brilliant, Still gets me that she made it to be a only copy. As I recall a clause in the purchase is that it cannot be reproduced. :?
bamf
SUSAN CAGLE

Postby Ribbons on Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:45 pm

I just read the summary of the tales in the book. They sound pretty interesting, and although whoever reviewed the copy at Amazon was nice enough to be very thorough in their descriptions of the tales, it just bums me out all the more that I'll never be able to read them. But you should check it out if you're a fan of Harry Potter, it's kind of neat to see how some of the themes of the series repeat themselves in "Beetle the Bard."
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Fawst on Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:52 pm

1. "The Wizard and the Hopping Pot" [CAUTION: SPOILERS WITHIN!]

Are you fucking serious, Amazon? Spoilers? That's like saying "Hey, you other 6 people that had enough money to buy a copy, don't read our review of the book you already own, because we spoil the story! You might want to go read what you dropped $1mil+ on instead of reading this, we might ruin it for you!"

Fucking plonkers.
Prince of the Land of Stench!
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Ribbons on Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:54 pm

Heh, yeah... I hadn't even thought about that at the time, but it does seem kind of strange, because who'd they be spoiling it for? I guess they figured they'd cover all of their bases...
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Fawst on Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:59 pm

I suppose it makes sense, in a hopeful "maybe the masses will get a version someday" way. I'm being too hard I guess, but it does smack of a bit of foolishness. Good for them for donating that money to charity and all. And they could have just said "We have it, and you don't!" instead of posting all this stuff. So yay :)
Prince of the Land of Stench!
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Evil Hobbit on Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:37 pm

Because it's so closely connected to Hallows I'll post this here. Amazon has preorders up for the Tales of Beedle the Bard. It is available as a cheap standard edition or a monsterously expensive collectors edition that replicates the look and feel from the original handcrafted edition.

Collector's Edition Product Features:
• All five fairy tales from the original The Tales of Beedle the Bard
• An outer case disguised as a wizarding textbook from the Hogwarts library
• Handwritten version of J.K. Rowling's new introduction
• 10 new illustrations by J.K. Rowling not included in the Standard Edition or the original handcrafted edition
• Velvet bag embroidered with J.K. Rowling's signature
• Metal skull, corners, and clasp
• Replica gemstones
• Emerald ribbon

Amazon.com or Amazon.co.uk

To be released on December 4, 2008. I couldn't resist and preorderd the collectors edition :P
Evil Hobbit
AIRWOLF

Postby Ribbons on Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:17 pm

Evil Hobbit wrote:I couldn't resist and preorderd the collectors edition :P

Oh good god. I'm not sure I want to know, but [winces]... how expensive is it?
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Al Shut on Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:58 pm

100$, 66,50€ or 50 Pounds
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby Ribbons on Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:26 pm

Now THAT's walking-around money!
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Evil Hobbit on Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:13 pm

Ribbons wrote:Now THAT's walking-around money!

The standard hardcover edition is 10 bucks.
Evil Hobbit
AIRWOLF

JK Rowling - The tales of Beedle the Bard

Postby tfactor on Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:36 pm

Just wanted to remind everyone that The Tales Of Beetle the Bard hits book stores tomorrow! For those H@rry Potter fans - you know this book was a large part of the final book in the H@rry Potter series. Now it is the next book being released by JK Rowling and again it comes out tomorrow!

I didn't see any mention of this book in any existing threads so I thought maybe it should have its own, if i'm wrong merge as needed.

Anyway personally I'm looking forward to this book, it being several short stories that are fairy tales pre-dating Harry and Lord V. I haven't heard anything one way or the other as far as reviews or if its good or anything yet (trying to remain spoiler free) but this is a must read for me.

Hope to discuss this sucker with some of you in the near future.
Enjoy
T
tfactor
KING SMARMY

Re: JK Rowling - The tales of Beedle the Bard

Postby tfactor on Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:54 pm

I just found this and its news that JK is holding a tea party at the National Library of Scotland in Edinburgh on Dec 4th ... um ... so if you happen to be in the area .... and you feel like being really really nice ... get me an autograph please? :oops: ....that would be sweet!

I know there are a lot of over seas zoners and I could have sworn I remember Edinburgh being mentioned from some past zoner gathering or some such something or other, anyway not sure if anyone is close to there but thought some of you may be interested to hear this news.
tfactor
KING SMARMY

Re: JK Rowling - The tales of Beedle the Bard

Postby papalazeru on Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:59 pm

That's a KON thing I think. :)
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Re: The Tales of Beetle the Bard (H@rry Potter Spin-Off)

Postby Ribbons on Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:46 pm

As much as I love that badass little leather version with the skull on the cover, I'm probably going to have to settle for the paperback (unless someone feels like loaning me a C-note...). But I definitely do plan on getting this, the preview of the stories on Amazon sounded pretty interesting and it seems to tie in nicely with the final book.

tfactor wrote:I just found this and its news that JK is holding a tea party at the National Library of Scotland in Edinburgh on Dec 4th ... um ... so if you happen to be in the area .... and you feel like being really really nice ... get me an autograph please? :oops: ....that would be sweet!

I know there are a lot of over seas zoners and I could have sworn I remember Edinburgh being mentioned from some past zoner gathering or some such something or other, anyway not sure if anyone is close to there but thought some of you may be interested to hear this news.

KOOOOOOOOOON!
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby King Of Nowhere on Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:07 pm

Shit.

Someone should've pm'd me.
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Postby DennisMM on Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:58 pm

I recall when Deathly Hallows had run its course, I said, "She'll be back with Potter. Maybe not exactly the sort of thing she sold us, but she'll be back. She likes the money too much to just coast on royalties." Someone pointed out that she's the richest woman in the UK and wouldn't need any more Potter money.

So Beetle the Bard comes out as this spectacular little thing, and I'm thinking, "Hmm. Maybe she is going to lie low." Then the market tanks and what do we get? A popular edition of Beetle the Bard, with a special edition at USD100.

Not to be smug, but I told you so.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby Ribbons on Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:34 pm

I don't know, I think this has been planned for a while. I don't think it's a reaction to the current economy or anything like that, but you never know.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Fievel on Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:16 am

The $100 edition goes to charity, which is pretty cool.
There's countless stories to be told in that world, and I'd love to hear every one of them.
Bring it, J.K.
I double dog dare you!!!!
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Re: The Tales of Beedle the Bard (H@rry Potter Spin-Off)

Postby Bloo on Wed Dec 24, 2008 2:43 am

according to the copy I bought (for 7, 8 bucks) all the profits noot just the $100 edition are going to her chairty...which I think is just in the UK but still it was worth the money

I enjoyed the tales, and as a theatre person I'd acutally like to have a complete short story on Hogwarts one attempt at staging one of the tales, not just Dumbledore's comments about it...in fact the one little comment about a magical theatre group made me want to know more

I'd actually pay anthor 7-10 bucks on a script of the play (and how much the royalities would be to stage it)
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Re: The Tales of Beedle the Bard (H@rry Potter Spin-Off)

Postby Ribbons on Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:50 pm

The recent release of J.K. Rowling's new novel reminded me that I never got around to reading Beedle the Bard, a mistake I corrected last week.

If you're a fan of the H@rry Potter series I highly recommend it; if not, then you should probably stay away. But it's more than just a fluffy supplement to the franchise. The stories are all fairly straightforward, but if anything the writing is actually more sophisticated than it is in Rowling's HP novels. She also gets to indulge her inner literary snob with imaginary papers on each story written by Albus Dumbledore, complete with fake footnotes. Anyway, check it out if you're at all curious, you can breeze through it in less than a day.

Though The Three Brothers is the most well-known for its appearance in The Deathly Hallows, my favorite of the bunch was probably The Fountain of Fair Fortune. Hufflepuff.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Return to AICN Books