A Dance With Dragons - July 12th 2011 - FOR REALZ!

This forum caters to our literary tastes.

A Dance With Dragons - July 12th 2011 - FOR REALZ!

Postby TonyWilson on Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:03 am

http://grrm.livejournal.com/198122.html
http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/to ... -pub-date/
http://www.avclub.com/articles/george-r ... e-f,52685/

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :D :D :D :D 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)

So this year gives me new Radiohead, new Elder scrolls and now A Dance With Dragons - hells fucking yes. Hermanator, this would have been your triple :wink:
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Re: A Dance With Dragons - July 12th 2011 - FOR REALZ!

Postby Nice Marmot on Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:05 pm

Holy . . . speachless . . . .
Nice Marmot
REAL DRAGON

Postby TonyWilson on Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:12 pm

Yeah it's kinda crazy to be honest, I'm actually waiting for something to fall through, but if Martin is calling official then, well - yes balls!
I've just reread the first 3 and I'm half way through AFFC (appreciating it a lot more the second time through) so for this announcement to happen now is perfect.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:13 pm

I've never read any of these. I take it from your excitement that I should give them a whirl? :lol:
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby TonyWilson on Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:26 pm

Ironically for a book, words cannot express the levels of awesome this series attains. You will go nuts for them Moo. I'd recommend reading the first one, A Game Of Thrones, before the TV show comes out so you can imagine the world for yourself.
TonyWilson

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:30 pm

TonyWilson wrote:Ironically for a book, words cannot express the levels of awesome this series attains. You will go nuts for them Moo. I'd recommend reading the first one, A Game Of Thrones, before the TV show comes out so you can imagine the world for yourself.

Perfect timing, I'm about to finish my current book and was wondering what to read next. I'm all over it.
Lord Voldemoo

Postby TonyWilson on Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:58 pm

Good stuff, Moo. Can't wait to hear your thoughts on it.
TonyWilson

Postby Ribbons on Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:34 pm

Wow. To be honest, I kind of expected Martin to die before this book ever came out.

(I'm not sure what the appropriate emoticon would be in this case, so I've prepared a couple: :D :shock: :twisted: :arrow: )
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Bob Samonkey on Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:09 pm

Its about fracking time....
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby Ribbons on Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:51 am

This could go in several different threads, but since this one is the newest I thought I'd post it here.

During a press tour to promote HBO's Game of Thrones and his own upcoming A Dance with Dragons, George R.R. Martin repeatedly slams Lost, thus creating a mighty Internet feud! Sort of. Here's EW with more on the story:

http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/04/05/thrones-author-lost/
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby VegasRon on Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:11 am

hi.
You can't take the sky from me...
VegasRon
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby Nice Marmot on Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:43 pm

We're a week away . . .
Nice Marmot
REAL DRAGON

Postby Nice Marmot on Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:31 pm

And now it's here! Yipee skippe . . .

Of course I'm only halfway through Swords w/ Crows on deck.

I'm in a theater class having to read 1 play per week. And that's on top of an accounting class, work and raising twin 2 year olds. NO TIME, NO TIME . . .
Nice Marmot
REAL DRAGON

Postby swoop91 on Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:17 pm

well.. I've finished the book.

Fuck you GRRM.
swoop91
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby Ribbons on Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:30 pm

swoop91 wrote:well.. I've finished the book.

Fuck you GRRM.

!

So good it hurts to wait for another??
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby TonyWilson on Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:59 am

swoop91 wrote:well.. I've finished the book.

Fuck you GRRM.

Oh god.... I'm so fucking intrigued by this statement. I'm just over a 3rd of the way through so want no spoilers, but damn I can't wait to see what's got you so riled up, dude.
TonyWilson

Postby swoop91 on Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:58 am

You remember that gif of LOST which said "NOTHING HAPPENDS"?

well..
swoop91
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby swoop91 on Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:47 am

So? Can't believe no one reads this.. or comments.
swoop91
STEAK-A-BABY

A Song of Ice and Fire

Postby Al Shut on Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:44 pm

TonyWilson wrote:
Ribbons wrote:I'm currently 500 pages deep in A Storm of Swords (Book 3). It's my favorite of the bunch so far, certainly moreso than the last book, which was well-written as always but seemed to tread water most of the time. But it set this book up beautifully, and I'm enjoying the fallout from all the kings' failed attempts on the throne.

Oh dude. Man, just, just... when it happens and then keeps happening and happening, just remember to breathe.

That reminds me, something I was wondering about regarding the middle of book five (I think). Anyone besides me convinced the missing Freys have been served as wedding pie?
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire

Postby Ribbons on Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:55 am

I shouldn't have read that last post. But I did. Not the Walders!
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Al Shut on Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:32 pm

Ribbons wrote:I shouldn't have read that last post. But I did. Not the Walders!

Don't know if you want to read this but no I was talking about different Freys, there're enough of them for this statement to be completely vague. Although I can't guarantee one of them isn't named Walder too
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby TonyWilson on Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:19 am

Al Shut wrote:That reminds me, something I was wondering about regarding the middle of book five (I think). Anyone besides me convinced the missing Freys have been served as wedding pie?

Yes, Al. Gods(old and new)fucking bless the Manderley's
TonyWilson

Postby Ribbons on Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:47 pm

I just came across a passage in A Storm of Swords that seems relevant to this discussion:

When the flames were blazing nicely Meera put a fish on. At least it's not a meat pie. The Rat Cook had cooked the son of the Andal king in a big pie with onions, carrots, mushrooms, lots of pepper and salt, a rasher of bacon, and a dark red Dornish wine. Then he served him to his father, who praised the taste and had a second slice. Afterward the gods transformed the cook into a monstrous white rat who could only eat his own young. He had roamed the Nightfort ever since, devouring his children, but still his hunger was not sated. "It was not for murder that the gods cursed him," Old Nan said, "nor for serving the Andal king his son in a pie. A man has a right to vengeance. But he slew a guest beneath his roof, and that the gods cannot forgive."
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Al Shut on Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:35 am

Come to think of it (and rereading that bit) that was the one thing that finally convinced me something was afoot, someone drunkenly demanding for a song about the Rat Cook.
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

A Song of Ice and Fire

Postby Al Shut on Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:22 am

so sorry wrote:
Fievel wrote:So I'm nearing the end of A Dance with Dragons and hit a certain part last night....

For the watch....

:(

Will go back in the thread to see what you all said about this when I'm done.

I'm not sure there was a discussion about that in this thread, but I'm willing to chat with you when you are!

I think you mentioned certain theories about further developments that would imply there's no need to worry about a certain character because he is still needed
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby so sorry on Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:24 am

Al Shut wrote:
so sorry wrote:
Fievel wrote:So I'm nearing the end of A Dance with Dragons and hit a certain part last night....

For the watch....

:(

Will go back in the thread to see what you all said about this when I'm done.

I'm not sure there was a discussion about that in this thread, but I'm willing to chat with you when you are!

I think you mentioned certain theories about further developments that would imply there's no need to worry about a certain character because he is still needed

For sure. Seriously, there's no way in hell that Jon Snow is dead
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Ribbons on Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:55 pm

I'm not sure how people who only watch the show feel about each character, but hopefully I'm not the only fan of the books who thinks that the Daenerys chapters are boring as fuck.

Every single chapter in A Dance with Dragons goes something like this: "I have to get married. But I love Daario! But I have to get married. But I love Daario! But..." Dah! Someone throw a pie already!
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:32 am

Ribbons wrote:I'm not sure how people who only watch the show feel about each character, but hopefully I'm not the only fan of the books who thinks that the Daenerys chapters are boring as fuck.

Every single chapter in A Dance with Dragons goes something like this: "I have to get married. But I love Daario! But I have to get married. But I love Daario! But..." Dah! Someone throw a pie already!

Yes, true. I actually really like Daenerys, but her chapters (so far) in A Dance with Dragons are, in fact, boring as fuck. I'm thinking there will be a payoff later. But right now I want her to just set the dragons loose and fry everybody already...
Lord Voldemoo

Postby so sorry on Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:54 am

Lord Voldemoo wrote:
Ribbons wrote:I'm not sure how people who only watch the show feel about each character, but hopefully I'm not the only fan of the books who thinks that the Daenerys chapters are boring as fuck.

Yes, true. I actually really like Daenerys, but her chapters (so far) in A Dance with Dragons are, in fact, boring as fuck. I'm thinking there will be a payoff later. But right now I want her to just set the dragons loose and fry everybody already...

A Cliff's Notes summary on her chapters from the last two books would save me a few hours of reading, that's for sure. It does get a bit more interesting at the end (I thought you guys have read all of these already??), but most of her chapters are long in the tooth. Which isn't really a good sign for the TV series. From the looks of the season 4 previews they are really truncating her story, so that will help.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Al Shut on Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:31 am

I have to disagree.Never found them to be particularly boring, except for the last one or two, after what could be considered the payoff. At worst they might be less interesting than the really good ones but at this point of the story they're nailbiters compared to the Stark kids (at least Arya and Bran).

Most of them start with something about Daario but overall they're much more focused on the situation inside Meereen or the threat from Yunkai
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby John-Locke on Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:14 am

I hope Jon Snow ends up in the giant Wun Weg Wun Dar Wun instead of Ghost.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby so sorry on Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:52 am

I hopeI get to read the new book within the next year:evil:
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Ribbons on Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:07 pm

Yeah, Jon Snow can't be dead. He's one head of the dragon!

It would be kind of lame if he got stabbed up and just shook it off, but I'm guessing that Melisandre revives him (like Thoros did with Catelyn), or he becomes a sentient White Walker a la Coldhands.

Or he ends up in Wun Weg Wun Dar Wun. I forgot he could skinchange. :wink:
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Al Shut on Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:57 pm

I hope Big Walder is okay.
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby Fievel on Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:13 pm

Ribbons wrote:but I'm guessing that Melisandre revives him

While fucking him.

Because L + R = J
And because George RR Martin is fucked enough to do it.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby so sorry on Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:18 pm

Al Shut wrote:I hope Big Walder is okay.

Bwahahaha!!! Screw all Freys! :twisted:
so sorry
Deacon Blues

A Song of Ice and Fire

Postby Nice Marmot on Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:22 pm

OK, finished 'Dances' last night. Can't say NOTHING happened, but Martin sure as hell waited til the end to squeeze in some action.

I am mostly pleased with how its all gone down. By the time I finally read 'Feast', after hearing so much hate, I really kind of liked it. And 'Dances' was even better. I had read books 1 - 3 before even hearing about the HBO show. It was a thrill getting back in there through Martin's eyes.

My only real beef is with just how in depth the storyline over in Dany's neck of the woods got. Not too hard to follow, just ....too much? And I hate the carachter names over there. I feel like I'd sound like I was trying to clear popcorn kernels reading them out loud.

Any new characters & storylines introduced in 'Feast' & beyond make me nervous. I know I should trust Martin with his baby. He's gotten us this far. But I can't help but worry that these people were included before there entire stories were plotted.

But why worry? If ever loose ends need severed, chopped, hacked, slashed, mangled, incinerated....... :shock:
Nice Marmot
REAL DRAGON

Postby Wolfpack on Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:11 am

I'm reading this book right now. I read the first 4 books before the TV show went on the air, but now having seen four seasons worth of GoT it's impossible not to see Peter Dinklage and Kit Harrington as I'm plowing through the chapters.
"Alright Shaggy - you and Scooby head over that way. The girls and I will go this way."
Wolfpack
AIRWOLF

Postby so sorry on Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:45 am

Wolfpack wrote:I'm reading this book right now. I read the first 4 books before the TV show went on the air, but now having seen four seasons worth of GoT it's impossible not to see Peter Dinklage and Kit Harrington as I'm plowing through the chapters.

Yeah, but that's not really a bad thing, right?
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Wolfpack on Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:37 am

so sorry wrote:
Wolfpack wrote:I'm reading this book right now. I read the first 4 books before the TV show went on the air, but now having seen four seasons worth of GoT it's impossible not to see Peter Dinklage and Kit Harrington as I'm plowing through the chapters.

Yeah, but that's not really a bad thing, right?

Hell no. The TV adaptation is better than I could have possibly dreamed. Such a well-cast series.
"Alright Shaggy - you and Scooby head over that way. The girls and I will go this way."
Wolfpack
AIRWOLF

Postby Fievel on Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:40 am

Faces & pronunciations are never a bad thing to have when reading fantasy!
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Ribbons on Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:04 am

I only wish I had seen the show before I spent all that time pronouncing Sansa's aunt "Lisa" in my head
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Wolfpack on Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:24 pm

I had been saying "Dan-urr-iss Tar-guh-ryan" and "Bear uh theon."
Wolfpack
AIRWOLF

Postby TheBaxter on Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:50 pm

i'm pretty embarrassed to admit that i pronounce Jon Snow in a way that rhymes with "Bone Plow"

even more embarrassing, i only just started reading the books after already watching seasons 1-4
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Return to AICN Books