Star Wars

This forum caters to our literary tastes.

Star Wars

Postby TheButcher on Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:16 am

From The Force.net:
Heir To The Empire Anniversary Edition
While previously announced back in September, Starwars.com has let loose with a number of details regarding the 20th Anniversary Edition of Timothy Zahn's Star Wars: Heir to the Empire. What can you expect from the June 21, 2011 hardcover release? Check out the cliff notes below...

- "Commentary-style" annotations from author Timothy Zahn and others involved in the creation of the original novel

- An introduction from Timothy Zahn

- A reflective platinum colored jacket will overlay a special version of the original cover art

- Crisis of Faith - a new novella by Zahn that features the one and only Grand Admiral Thrawn
Last edited by TheButcher on Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Star Wars: Heir to the Empire 20th Anniversary Edition

Postby Wolfpack on Wed May 04, 2011 9:14 pm

Denis Lawson and Anthony Daniels did the audiobooks. Freaking awesome, man.
"Alright Shaggy - you and Scooby head over that way. The girls and I will go this way."
Wolfpack
AIRWOLF

Postby TheBaxter on Thu May 05, 2011 8:49 am

i read that series last year and found it very disappointing. on the other hand, i just finished the Darth Bane trilogy, which was much better. though the first book was easily the best of the series.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Re: Star Wars Reboot

Postby TheButcher on Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:40 pm

Lucasfilm Announces New Star Wars Books As Part Of 'New Unified Storytelling Approach'
Hot on the heels of today's announcement that the Expanded Universe is becoming an alternate universe, Lucasfilm and Disney Publishing Worldwide have revealed the first Star Wars books in their new, unified canon.

The earlier announcement introduced us to Star Wars: A New Dawn by John Jackson Miller (with a foreword by Dave Filoni), and now we know that "this novel tells the story of how two of the lead characters of the series, Kanan Jarrus and Hera Syndulla, came to cross paths." A New Dawn will be published on September 2, 2014.

The next three novels are Star Wars: Tarkin by James Luceno (November 4, 2
Heir to the Jedi: "A thrilling new adventure set between A New Hope and The Empire Strikes Back, and—for the first time ever—written entirely from Luke Skywalker's first-person point of view."

Lords of the Sith: "When the Emperor and his notorious apprentice, Darth Vader, find themselves stranded in the middle of insurgent action on an inhospitable planet, they must rely solely on each other, the Force, and their awesome martial skills to prevail."

Paul S. Kemp has chimed in on his blog with a few more details about Lords of the Sith:

It features a character who appeared in The Clone Wars.
It is set between Revenge of the Sith and Star Wars Rebels.

Unlike the Expanded Universe, "The future Star Wars novels from Disney Publishing Worldwide and Del Rey Books will now be part of the official Star Wars canon as reflected on upcoming TV and movie screens," according to the announcement.

Here is the full press release:014), Star Wars: Heir to the Jedi by Kevin Hearne (January 2015), and Star Wars: Lords of the Sith by Paul S. Kemp (March 2015).

Del Rey has posted short blurbs for two of the new books:

DISNEY PUBLISHING WORLDWIDE AND RANDOM HOUSE ANNOUNCE RELAUNCH OF STAR WARS ADULT FICTION LINE
April 25, 2014

Following today's announcement of Lucasfilm's new unified storytelling approach, Disney Publishing Worldwide is proud to announce their first step into that larger world, beginning with Del Rey Books. The publishing program will feature new adult fiction novels set in the beloved galaxy far, far away, and will be closely connected to the cinematic entertainment currently in development at Lucasfilm.

Star Wars novels consistently rank on the New York Times Bestseller lists -- from the very first tie-in novel, an adaptation of Star Wars: A New Hope released by Del Rey in 1976, to the recently published Star Wars: Kenobi -- and dozens of titles in between. With over 75 million copies sold worldwide, these books have captured the imaginations and creativity of authors who have enriched the Star Wars experience for fans around the globe.

Going forward, Lucasfilm has begun mapping out the narrative future of Star Wars storytelling that will appear on film and television and in other media so that all projects will benefit from real-time collaboration and alignment. The future Star Wars novels from Disney Publishing Worldwide and Del Rey Books will now be part of the official Star Wars canon as reflected on upcoming TV and movie screens.

"With the establishment of the Lucasfilm Story Group and our even greater focus on unified storytelling, we expect our entire publishing program to be stronger and more meaningful than ever before," said Jeanne Mosure, senior vice president and group publisher, Disney Publishing Worldwide. "We're extremely excited to kick off this new strategy with Del Rey Books."

The first novel to benefit from this deeper collaboration is Star Wars: A New Dawn, by bestselling author John Jackson Miller. Set prior to the events of the forthcoming animated series Star Wars Rebels, this novel tells the story of how two of the lead characters of the series, Kanan Jarrus and Hera Syndulla, came to cross paths. To tell this important backstory, Miller benefited from contact with series executive producers Dave Filoni, Simon Kinberg and Greg Weisman, who together ensured this tale will be part of the Star Wars canon of storytelling going forward. It is scheduled for hardcover and eBook release on September 2, 2014.

"We're extremely proud of the hundreds of amazing Star Wars books we've published at Del Rey," said Scott Shannon, SVP, publisher, Del Rey and Digital Content, "And now we're excited to finally be able to call our upcoming novels true canon -- a single, cohesive Star Wars storyline -- all while keeping the amazing backlist of Star Wars Legends content in print."

Following Star Wars: A New Dawn, the all-new Star Wars fiction line will continue with the following 2014/2015 titles:

STAR WARS: TARKIN

James Luceno
11/4/14

STAR WARS: HEIR TO THE JEDI
Kevin Hearne
January 2015

STAR WARS: LORDS OF THE SITH
Paul Kemp
March 2015

In years past, the storylines that would appear in print and on screen were developed separately, resulting in an "Expanded Universe" that differed in ways large and small from the filmmaker's "canon." These rich stories provide a treasure trove of characters to fall in love with -- and deep worlds to explore and will live on in both physical and digital editions, newly-branded as Star Wars Legends.

For more information and for looks at the covers of all four new titles announced above, please visit the Del Rey Star Wars Books Facebook page at Facebook.com/StarWarsBooks.

StarWars.com. All Star Wars, all the time.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:45 pm

The Star Wars Expanded Universe: Past, Present, and Future
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Wolfpack on Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:42 am

Chewbacca lives?
"Alright Shaggy - you and Scooby head over that way. The girls and I will go this way."
Wolfpack
AIRWOLF

Postby TheButcher on Thu May 01, 2014 3:32 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Star Wars Reboot

Postby TheButcher on Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:53 pm

Frankensteining Together The San Diego Comic Con 2014 Panels So Far
FRIDAY, JULY 25
Rich Johnston wrote:Star Wars: A New Dawn: 2:00 p.m. – 3:00p.m., Room 7AB

The new era of Star Wars storytelling begins in September with Star Wars: A New Dawn.

Join New York Times bestselling author John Jackson Miller, Shelly Shapiro (editor, Del Rey), Frank Parisi (editor, Del Rey), Jennifer Heddle (senior editor, Lucasfilm), Pablo Hidalgo (Lucasfilm Story Group), Vanessa Marshall (Hera in Star Wars Rebels), along with Dave Filoni (executive producer, Star Wars Rebels), as they discuss the planning and process of Star Wars: A New Dawn, and present the list of upcoming Star Wars novels from Del Rey.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Star Wars The Adventures of Luke Skywalker, Jedi Knight

Postby TheButcher on Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:29 pm

“The Adventures of Luke Skywalker, Jedi Knight,” by Tony DiTerlizzi and Ralph McQuarrie
Patrick Kevin Day wrote:Tony DiTerlizzi is no stranger to stumbling into fantastical worlds — as a writer and artist he co-created “The Spiderwick Chronicles” and created the “WondLa” trilogy of children’s books (the final book, “The Battle for WondLa” was released earlier this month). But when he got the call to write a children’s book retelling the original “Star Wars” trilogy, to be illustrated with Ralph McQuarrie’s original concept drawings, he found himself entering a real-life magical realm: Lucasfilm.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Star Wars Cashgrab

Postby TheButcher on Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:54 pm

‘Journey to Star Wars: The Force Awakens:’
20 Books Will Bridge The Gap Between ‘Jedi’ and ‘The Force Awakens’
Germain Lussier wrote:Entertainment Weekly broke the news of Journey to Star Wars The Force Awakens. It’ll be a joint effort between the many arms of Disney Publishing Worldwide as well as Del Rey, Dorling Kindersley and Marvel Comics. To make sure it all fits together, the authors were in constant contact with the Star Wars story group. Here’s what Andrew Sugerman, executive vice president of Disney Publishing Worldwide, said about that:

The partnership with the story group and the editorial team always had to be true to the sanctity of the film while making sure that we find these moments to introduce hints, clues, and puzzle pieces. Without revealing what those pieces are, it will just allow readers to speculate about the new film: What could a location mean, or what could a character mean?
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Star Wars

Postby Wolfpack on Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:10 pm

I haven't even finished the Fate of the Jedi series yet!
Wolfpack
AIRWOLF

Postby TheBaxter on Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:43 am

dammit! nobody told me the new Star Wars film came with homework.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Fried Gold on Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:04 am

TheBaxter wrote:dammit! nobody told me the new Star Wars film came with homework.

The new continuity stuff is more like the old Extended Universe - you can take it or leave it.

Only, this time, it actually has some real connection and meaning to the movies rather than just being a collection of published fan fictions that most people ignored.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Wolfpack on Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:27 pm

TheBaxter wrote:dammit! nobody told me the new Star Wars film came with homework.

Not to worry. They're grading on participation, not performance.
Wolfpack
AIRWOLF

Postby Al Shut on Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:30 pm

That's what she said.
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby TheButcher on Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:58 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Greg Rucka's “Shattered Empire”

Postby TheButcher on Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:09 am

Moffs And Regional Governors!!
A Glimpse Of What Happened Between RETURN OF THE JEDI And THE FORCE AWAKENS!!
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby RaulMonkey on Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:53 pm

I bought the "Star Wars: Aftermath" novel which, like "Shattered Empire," takes place immediately after ROTJ. I'm about a third of the way through.

The Empire indeed lives on, but it was critically wounded with the loss of the 2nd Death Star, Palpatine and Vader.

The book centres around the planet Akiva, where Wedge Antilles goes on a scouting mission and runs afoul of a handful of Star Destroyers. Many new characters round out the story. So far there are just glimpses of series regulars like Leia and Han Solo, in flashbacks or propaganda holovids. Admiral Ackbar's had a scene.

The Rebellion is now known as The New Republic, as it establishes government and rallies more systems to its banner. There's a new Senate on the planet Chandrila, with a new Chancellor, Mon Mothma. Mothma has decided that once the last of the Empire is destroyed, the armies of the New Republic will be reduced by 90%, to make it clear that this government is about freedom and democracy, not maintaining an iron grip on the galaxy.

The book is okay, written at about a grade six reading level, even if it's not one of the official "junior" novels they're putting out. It gets you your Star Wars fix, and offers wispy hints of the world to come.

It was $22 on Amazon.ca, but with a 3 to 5 week waiting period. I got it at Indigo books for the same price, which was 40%-off cover.
RaulMonkey
ZONE AMBASSADOR

Postby TheButcher on Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:25 am

Is it better than Heir to the Empire?
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby RaulMonkey on Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:03 am

TheButcher wrote:Is it better than Heir to the Empire?

I haven't read HTTE, but based on its reputation, I don't think that Aftermath compares.

I flipped ahead a little bit, and regarding how often we get to hang out with popular characters in Aftermath: I found a big-ass scene with Han and Chewie hanging out in the Millennium Falcon.
RaulMonkey
ZONE AMBASSADOR

Postby so sorry on Wed Sep 16, 2015 12:26 pm

RaulMonkey wrote:
TheButcher wrote:Is it better than Heir to the Empire?

I haven't read HTTE, but based on its reputation, I don't think that Aftermath compares.

I flipped ahead a little bit

Cheater!
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby RaulMonkey on Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:50 pm

Consider it a sign of the extent to which the storytelling held me rapt, and eager to avoid spoilers.
RaulMonkey
ZONE AMBASSADOR

Postby RaulMonkey on Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:28 pm

RaulMonkey wrote:Consider it a sign of the extent to which the storytelling held me rapt, and eager to avoid spoilers.

I give it a hard time, but I'm getting what I paid for. It's cool to know that everything in the book "really happened" in the canon universe; it makes it feel worthwhile.

Yet there is an urge to get to the good/more relevant stuff. I jumped ahead to Season 5 of Clone Wars on Netflix to check out the Darth Maul storyline too. It didn't seem that very much had happened in the overall "mythos" in the 3 and a half seasons I missed, except for Ventress not being with the Separatists any more. All the Clone Wars storylines seem pretty self-contained, with the big spoilery events saved for Episode III. That's why they could cancel it at the drop of a hat, and it wasn't a big deal.
RaulMonkey
ZONE AMBASSADOR

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Sat Sep 19, 2015 12:06 am

Clone Wars is great fun. You should watch all of them just for the quick and fast entertainment of them all. Lost of Clone and Jedi fun action.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Wolfpack on Sat Sep 19, 2015 9:11 am

Any clone on clone action? It would put a new spin on the term "self-love."
Wolfpack
AIRWOLF

Postby RaulMonkey on Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:40 am

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:Clone Wars is great fun. You should watch all of them just for the quick and fast entertainment of them all. Lost of Clone and Jedi fun action.

Yeah, it's nice to dip in here and there on Netflix. It's solid entertainment.
RaulMonkey
ZONE AMBASSADOR

Postby Fievel on Fri Sep 25, 2015 1:29 am

I just finished Aftermath.
Decent story that managed to get better for me as it went along. I'm really eager to see where the story goes next and how the continuing story fits into The Force Awakens.

But.....
-Too many questions unanswered and setups for future stories
Examples:
-Han's story - what happens on Kashyyk?
-Boba Fett's armor - is he still alive? (Is he the Sheriff? Doubtful, but...) Or did the Sarlacc just burp it up?
-Vader's lightsaber - is this the beginnings of the cult that Kylo Ren is part of? Does the former Emperor's Advisor (Tashu) fit into this?
-The Admiral That's Really In Charge - I'm guessing this is the Snoke character from the new film (Andy Serkis).

Oh and another gripe - they are riding Ackbar's "It's a trap!" line's popularity WAY too much in this story - quoting it and not-so-subtly alluding to it.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby so sorry on Fri Sep 25, 2015 9:16 am

I guess if anything, you'll have a deeper understanding of what the hell is going on when the movie comes out.

Regarding your question about Han, my guess is he got in trouble with a bag of coke and two Kashyykian hookers.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby TheBaxter on Tue Nov 03, 2015 2:32 pm

i'm halfway through this book and i'm not really feeling it. for some reason i had the idea that this was going to feature more of the OT characters we know and love, not a bunch of new characters i don't know or care about (and the book hasn't made me care about yet). feels like fan fiction honestly. and while i understand why the author would write in present tense (gives more of a sense of immediacy to the action, more movie-like in its way), i don't think the author is really good enough to pull it off. writing in present tense is distracting enough by itself, you have to really be good to pull it off. and this guy, well, he's no John Updike.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby so sorry on Tue Nov 03, 2015 3:36 pm

TheBaxter wrote:i'm halfway through this book and i'm not really feeling it. for some reason i had the idea that this was going to feature more of the OT characters we know and love, not a bunch of new characters i don't know or care about (and the book hasn't made me care about yet). feels like fan fiction honestly. and while i understand why the author would write in present tense (gives more of a sense of immediacy to the action, more movie-like in its way), i don't think the author is really good enough to pull it off. writing in present tense is distracting enough by itself, you have to really be good to pull it off. and this guy, well, he's no John Updike.

I read about half a dozen SW novels in the late 90s, and although I remember almost nothing about them, I DO remember that I was underwhelmed. I don't believe the term Fan Fiction was a thing back then, but thinking back, that's probably how I felt. When an established entertainment property is written/directed by someone other than the original, this is one of the big pitfalls. It has the potential (usually correctly) to never quite feel "right".
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby TheBaxter on Tue Nov 03, 2015 4:51 pm

i think what makes it worse is when they are trying to make obvious references to well known characters, lines, plot points, etc that just comes off as pandering, or worse, as cheap and lazy reminders that you're in that specific universe. it's almost inevitable. for example, i just got done reading a part that involved rancors. ok, we know there are rancors in ROTJ. but where do they come from? they have to be endemic to one specific planet. is it the planet where this scene took place? is it Tattooine where we saw them in ROTJ? is it some other planet, and somehow the rancors ended up separately and independently on these other two planets? you've got a whole galaxy full of planets each with its own native life forms, why do the rancors show up again instead of some brand new previously unwritten-about species? because it's just easier to use a creature that people have already seen and are familiar with than inventing something entirely new for this book.

it's an easy trap to fall into* but a good writer should know that and avoid it. to it's credit, i've yet to hear a character say "i've got a bad feeling about this", but then, i've still got half the book to go.

* see!?!?
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby TheBaxter on Wed Nov 04, 2015 6:13 pm

TheBaxter wrote:it's an easy trap to fall into* but a good writer should know that and avoid it. to it's credit, i've yet to hear a character say "i've got a bad feeling about this", but then, i've still got half the book to go.

aaaaannnnnnnnndddddddddddddddddddddd it looks like i spoke too soon... :|
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Fievel on Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:53 pm

There were far too many quotes of/references to "It's A Trap!" in that book.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby TheBaxter on Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:45 am

Fievel wrote:There were far too many quotes of/references to "It's A Trap!" in that book.

"it's a ruse! it's a ploy! it's a deceit! it's a gambit!"
i think the author had his thesaurus open to the page for "trap" the entire time he wrote this book.
based on how he's portrayed, i think Ackbar has PTSD from the ROTJ death star battle, and now he thinks EVERYTHING is a trap. i guess the New Republic's VA hospitals are just as bad as ours. they need to get him a service droid or something.
on another note, i finally read the chapter featuring Han and Chewie which is obviously there just to set up some other book. a book that sounds a lot more interesting than this one.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby TheBaxter on Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:26 pm

this book has more fake deaths than a peter jackson LOTR film.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Wolfpack on Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:23 pm

TheBaxter wrote:this book has more fake deaths than a peter jackson LOTR film.

Which book is it?
Wolfpack
AIRWOLF

Postby TheBaxter on Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:43 am

Aftermath
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby RaulMonkey on Fri Nov 06, 2015 2:26 pm

Wolfpack wrote:

Which book is it?

Hillary Clinton's favourite, The Bible.
RaulMonkey
ZONE AMBASSADOR

Postby Wolfpack on Fri Nov 06, 2015 2:40 pm

RaulMonkey wrote:
Wolfpack wrote:

Which book is it?

I didn't think Hil-Dawg went out for movie novelizations.
Wolfpack
AIRWOLF

Postby RaulMonkey on Fri Nov 06, 2015 2:47 pm

Wolfpack wrote:
RaulMonkey wrote:
Wolfpack wrote:

Which book is it?

I didn't think Hil-Dawg went out for movie novelizations.

Maybe Max Von Sydow's playing the original Jesus in Force Awakens. Like Django Fett to the earth model.
RaulMonkey
ZONE AMBASSADOR

Postby TheBaxter on Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:21 am

STAR WARS: LOST STARS

apparently reading one SW book wasn't enough to get me ready for the new movie, so i read this one too. i think it was better than Aftermath. it is described as a YA novel, and has some of the typical trappings of YA fiction: teenage protagonists who all go to some school/academy together (in this case, the Imperial Officer's Academy) and become star-crossed (pun intended) lovers. the love story is mostly the kind of naive and idealized version that appeals to teenagers, but to its credit, it at least doesn't have the nice tidy happy ending you'd expect (though there's still room for that in the possible sequel). the story overall is more focused and compelling than Aftermath, though at times it does come across as too Forrest-Gumpy -- the two main characters somehow find themselves in the middle of virtually every single major event of the OT (at least every major event that was already depicted in one of the films) and crossing paths with several well-known OT characters. somehow it doesn't come off too forced though, and maybe the best parts of the book is seeing those events from the perspective of a simple Rebellion pilot or Imperial officer instead of through the main OT characters' eyes. this book also explains where that big crashed Star Destroyer from the new film's trailers came from.

i wouldn't go so far as to say this is a good book, but it's better and more worthwhile than Aftermath at least.

and yes, don't worry... someone does say "i have a bad feeling about this" at some point.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Wolfpack on Tue Dec 22, 2015 4:00 pm

Reading Scoundrels, the Ocean's Eleven type story set between ANH and TESB, with Han Solo playing Sinatra's role. So far no bad feelings have been had about "this" but I'm only on chapter 4.
Wolfpack
AIRWOLF

Postby RaulMonkey on Tue Dec 22, 2015 10:11 pm

TheBaxter wrote:STAR WARS: LOST STARS

apparently reading one SW book wasn't enough to get me ready for the new movie, so i read this one too. i think it was better than Aftermath. it is described as a YA novel, and has some of the typical trappings of YA fiction: teenage protagonists who all go to some school/academy together (in this case, the Imperial Officer's Academy) and become star-crossed (pun intended) lovers. the love story is mostly the kind of naive and idealized version that appeals to teenagers, but to its credit, it at least doesn't have the nice tidy happy ending you'd expect (though there's still room for that in the possible sequel). the story overall is more focused and compelling than Aftermath, though at times it does come across as too Forrest-Gumpy -- the two main characters somehow find themselves in the middle of virtually every single major event of the OT (at least every major event that was already depicted in one of the films) and crossing paths with several well-known OT characters. somehow it doesn't come off too forced though, and maybe the best parts of the book is seeing those events from the perspective of a simple Rebellion pilot or Imperial officer instead of through the main OT characters' eyes. this book also explains where that big crashed Star Destroyer from the new film's trailers came from.

i wouldn't go so far as to say this is a good book, but it's better and more worthwhile than Aftermath at least.

and yes, don't worry... someone does say "i have a bad feeling about this" at some point.

Thinking about picking this up. "Lords of the Sith" has strong reviews as well (Vader and Palpatine adventuring before ANH.) The reviews for "Heir to the Jedi" make it sound like ass.
RaulMonkey
ZONE AMBASSADOR

Postby TheBaxter on Thu Dec 24, 2015 12:06 am

Lords of the Sith sounds interesting. i've always found the books that focus on the Sith are the more interesting ones.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby TheButcher on Sat Apr 08, 2017 5:42 am

io9:
How Good Are the 'Best' Star Wars Books, Really?
Katharine Trendacosta wrote:Next week, Timothy Zahn’s Thrawn, a book about the rise to power of everyone’s favorite grand admiral, will be released. I’ve never anticipated a Star Wars book more, and now seems like the right time to look back at the books that introduced him and evaluate if they really were as great as popular wisdom says they were.

io9:
The Best Star Wars Books Are the X-Wing Novels. Fight Me.
Katharine Trendacosta wrote:The original Star Wars Expanded Universe novels are a mixed bunch, to say the least. There’s some good, some bad, and some mediocre. And while Timothy Zahn’s Thrawn saga usually gets the most attention, I am here to say that the best books are actually the X-Wing novels. Come at me.

A New Anthology Will Explore Every Inch of the Star Wars Universe
Following in a grand tradition for Star Wars books, Del Rey, Lucasfilm, and Disney have announced a new 40-story anthology which will explore the stories of background characters from A New Hope.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Wolfpack on Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:35 am

I did rather like the first 4 X-Wing novels. They were pretty dope.
Wolfpack
AIRWOLF

Postby Fievel on Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:40 am

I just finished Thrawn,
I don't really remember much about the original Thrawn Trilogy other than the Jedi clones and other shit were too hokey for me - even in a Star Wars story. I understand why people like it so much, especially those read it when it was originally released during the 15 year drought, but it never clicked for me.

This book, though....wow.

I don't remember a thing about the character of Thrawn other than his reputation as a master tactician. Like I said, the original stories didn't work for me. But this book gives the briefest of back stories and paints him as a hero/anti-hero in the long game of the SW saga. I need more of this iteration of Thrawn. I absolutely refuse to go back and read any of the "Legends" series of books. No matter how good they may or may not be, they're essentially fan-fiction at this point. But now that everything is canon, I'm stoked to see how both Thrawn and the events of the epilogue play out within the overall saga*.

I listened to the audiobook and the reader uses the same voice that Thrawn has on Rebels. A fantastic and entertaining aspect as a chunk of the book is Thrawn's thoughts and journal entries.

*Things I'm left wondering the most (book spoilers follow):
-What is the dark threat of the universe that Thrawn warned about - Smoke? Something new?
-Will the Chiss be introduced to the films?
-Was I wrong in seeing Thrawn as a potential long-term hero or did I miss something? Or is it all about a future Chiss Supremacy?
-Will Eli Vanto be in a film as a potential New Republic leader?
-Need more of Vanto's story post-Thrawn now!
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Return to AICN Books