The Zone's 2015 Book Journal

This forum caters to our literary tastes.

The Zone's 2015 Book Journal

Postby thomasgaffney on Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:25 pm

Claim a spot and keep track of all the books you read in 2015. Let us know what's worth a read, and what's not worth our time or money.
Happy Reading!

My Journal

Completed:
The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss - review coming - (9/10).
Trigger Warning by Neil Gaiman - review coming - (10/10).
The Magician by Lev Grossman - much better than I was expecting. A lot more to it than just Harry Potter for adults - (8/10).

In Progress:
The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins

Planned:
Finders Keepers by Stephen King
Innocence by Dean Koontz
find me: twitter and goodreads
thomasgaffney
a might unpredictable

Re: The Zone's 2015 Book Journal

Postby so sorry on Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:53 pm

I wish I could contribute more to this thread, but my book reading is pathetic. I usually re-read stuff I've been re-reading for many many years. For example, what I've read this year:

The Godfather/Mario Puzo (7/10)
The Godfather Returns/Mark Winegardner (5/10)
The Dragonlance Chronicles/Weis Hickman (8/10 for purely nostalgic reasons)
Song of Fire and Ice series/ GRR Martin (11/10)...just started re-reading this series yesterday. At the pace that I read (and get to read), I should be finished this series by February, just in time for the next season of the show to start.

:oops:
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby thomasgaffney on Mon Jul 20, 2015 4:23 pm

I need to re-read Ice & Fire and some point. I remember very little of Dance with Dragons and it was only 4 years ago...
thomasgaffney
a might unpredictable

Postby justcheckin on Sat Jul 25, 2015 4:22 pm

Not sure I will read enough either… but here's what I did read this year so far for fun.

The Strain Trilogy: The Fall
The Strain Trilogy: The Night Eternal
(I read the first book before the tv show aired a couple years ago. I actually like them. they are a good, fun read. The show isn't quite doing the books justice but I still like it also. Its entertaining, there are a few plot holes and places that stretch concepts but I still enjoyed it and had a good time reading them.)

In Progress…
Perdido Street Station by China-Miéville
(I'm on chapter 9, it has a lot to keep up with. There are lots of races and names, etc. I dig it so far.)
justcheckin
AIRWOLF

Postby thomasgaffney on Sat Jul 25, 2015 4:26 pm

Still slowly chugging through The Magicians, but just picked up The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins.

Heard LOTS of good things about it so far...
thomasgaffney
a might unpredictable

Postby Ribbons on Sat Jul 25, 2015 11:52 pm

I've read that Girl on the Train whatsits. It's pretty solid. The mystery isn't all that great, and several pieces will probably fall into place for you pretty quickly, but I love the idea of something horrible that you can't remember happening while blackout drunk, because that's exactly how it feels.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Maui on Sat Dec 12, 2015 10:46 pm

Ribbons wrote:I've read that Girl on the Train whatsits. It's pretty solid. The mystery isn't all that great, and several pieces will probably fall into place for you pretty quickly, but I love the idea of something horrible that you can't remember happening while blackout drunk, because that's exactly how it feels.

It is a pretty solid read but I was disappointed with the mystery. I figured it out way too early in the game. I read a lot of mystery and I prefer the challenge of a cleverly written whodunnit.
Maui
WoWie

Postby Ribbons on Sat Dec 12, 2015 11:14 pm

Hey if you have any mystery recommendations I'm all ears. I'm not much of an expert in the field.

The other whodunnits I've been reading recently are the Cormoran Strike books by "Robert Galbraith" (not-so-secret pseudonym of J.K. Rowling). They do the opposite of Girl on the Train, which is to say, rather than telegraph the solution a mile off, they deliberately withhold crucial information from the reader. It's kind of infuriating. But I like the characters.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Maui on Sat Dec 12, 2015 11:46 pm

Ribbons wrote:Hey if you have any mystery recommendations I'm all ears. I'm not much of an expert in the

In the Woods by Tana French. A psychological mystery that really challenges the gray matter. It won the Edgar award. I don't think you will be disappointed.

I usually search for mystery selections on the Agatha awards and Edgar Allen Poe awards websites for my mystery selections.
Maui
WoWie

Postby magicmonkey on Sun Dec 13, 2015 7:22 am

Sunshine — robin mckinley.

Spooky vampires man. Slow start, but soon kicked my ass in so many different ways.

Tuf voyagin — george rr martin

Collected short stories of the adventures of wayland tuf. Bliss.

Storm of Swords — george rr martin

The first book in the series where i've noticed martins nationality , it was during the flight of jaime with brienne. All that means really is that i found his country side descriptions less english prosaic and more stephen king. I presume it was rushed. Also, i noticed his bran writing start to weaken. But that tower with a lake hiding scene with hodor in a storm was sublime.
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Return to AICN Books