The Dark Knight Rises Discussion Thread

New movies! Old movies! B-movies! Discuss discuss discuss!!!

Re: The Dark Knight Rises (Really?) Discussion Thread

Postby Nachokoolaid on Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:17 pm

I think it's just a bit contradictory that some of the same folks that are crying out for a return ofRas Al Ghul in some way are the same ones crying that Dent HAS to be dead. Bit of a double standard. So a giant train explosion doesn't end someone, but a twenty foot fall automatically does? Mmm.

And spoiler tagging years old films feels weird.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Re: The Joker Returns?

Postby TheButcher on Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:49 pm

The Garbage Man wrote:It's absolutely baffling what stories the main site decides to post (or not post, more often) these days.

SPOILERS
From AICN:
Heard some rumors on THE DARK KNIGHT RISES that sound interesting...

From Bleeding Cool:
Proof That Tom Hardy Is Playing Dr. Hugo Strange In The Dark Knight Rises?
So, Tom Hardy’s role in Chris Nolan’s next Batmovie, The Dark Knight Rises, looks like it is going to beDr. Hugo Strange after all. I’ve been very sceptical about this rumour before, but if there’s proof, or at least evidence, I’m obviously going to melt.

So where’s this proof? Well, over at Aint It Cool, Harry Knowles says:
It seems that Chris & Jonathan Nolan and that David Goyer have been digging deep for the villain. In fact, Batman first went up against this guy in 1940 in the pages of Detective Comics. The word is, Tom Hardy is playing Dr. Hugo Strange, who has a bit of an obsession surrounding The Batman. Strange how common that seems to be in Gotham. In fact – it seems that Nolan and crew are exploiting that great Prey arc that was written by Doug Moench and illustrated by the great Paul Gulacy and Terry Austin – and ran from September of 1990 to February 1991.

Okay… but, sure, there’s no proof there. Where can I find it?

Here’s Harry, chipping in via the “Talkback” below that very story:

I didn’t see that hit… but I was shown ‘proof’ in a manner of speaking that convinced me to go with this.

In a manner of speaking? Okay. So there’s maybe proof. Sort of. That we can’t be privy to.

If Knowles is convinced, then I think I’ll roll with this idea for now. He must be sent any number of crackerjack stories and if he was just naive enough to run them all, the site would be a whole lot fatter and nuttier. While I’m not sure he saw any proof, I expect there was probably some pretty compelling evidence. That’s a whole flight of steps up from where we were before.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Nachokoolaid on Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:15 pm

Maybe he looked in the Zone where we've been posting pics of Strange and talking about it for a few weeks now.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby DennisMM on Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:27 pm

I think spoiler-blocking TDK material is pretty ridiculous at this point. How about Superman Returns? Batman Begins? Wait, I guess we are spoiler-blocking the last.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby Retardo_Montalban on Sun Dec 05, 2010 5:52 am

Superman returning? Batman beginning? These are all key plot points I was not aware of and will definitely ruin my movie experience when I finally decide to watch these films in 5 years time. Thanks a lot, Dennis.
Retardo_Montalban
doubleplusungood

Postby DennisMM on Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:11 pm

:oops: :oops: :oops:
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby The Garbage Man on Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:51 pm

Nachokoolaid wrote:I think it's just a bit contradictory that some of the same folks that are crying out for a return ofRas Al Ghul in some way are the same ones crying that Dent HAS to be dead. Bit of a double standard. So a giant train explosion doesn't end someone, but a twenty foot fall automatically does? Mmm.

I disagree. Both Eckhart and Nolan are on record saying Dent is dead, and have been saying as much since the movie was released. As a character, Dent was supposed to be a normal man who was not only not wearing any padding but had just fled the hospital with open, untreated wounds covering a large part of his body. Ra's, on the other hand, is a character who is practically defined by his immortality. Also, many of the people I've seen suggesting the return of Ra's were advocating a storyline in which Neeson did die but we learn that the name Ra's Al Ghul is passed on to each leader of the League of Shadows, thus making Ra's "immortal." An interesting idea, but personally I'd rather neither character return.

Speaking of, the Hugo Strange rumors seem plausible (certainly moreso than the "Eddie Murphy as Riddler" ridiculousness) but… I dunno. Another mental health professional as the villain? Is Nolan a Scientologist?
The Garbage Man
AIRWOLF

Postby TheButcher on Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:54 pm

THE DARK KNIGHT RISES Script Due Monday!
Matt Goldberg wrote:Christopher Nolan’s script for The Dark Knight Rises is reportedly due tomorrow. Although, as David S. Cohen jokes in his tweet, what can Warner Bros. do if he doesn’t turn it in? Fire him? Of course, Nolan seems like a fairly self-disciplined chap and so when he told Cohen that the script was “due”, that was probably a self-imposed deadline. It would, however, be a bit early as Michael Caine says he didn’t expect to get the script until January (and that may still be true). Shooting on the highly-anticipated sequel is set to begin in May with the movie set for release on July 20, 2012.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

NOTICE: Warning on the possible leaked Batman 3 script

Postby Hermanator X on Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:14 pm

Just a heads up, if you dont want spoilers, be careful in what you click on regarding the Dark Knight Rises. (still hate that title)
I havent read any of the details, as I dont want it spoiled, and thought would make a temporary topic post to help others avoid unwittingly spoiling stuff.

Must resist reading io9.com article!! Im guessing this is gonna be all over the genre sites, if its legit, as they wont be able to help themselves.
...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Re: NOTICE: Warning on the possible leaked Batman 3 script

Postby so sorry on Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:42 pm

Hermanator X wrote:Must resist reading io9.com article!! Im guessing this is gonna be all over the genre sites, if its legit, as they wont be able to help themselves.

Meh, didn't seem like that big of a deal. Probably half that stuff they mentioned would be in a trailer anyway.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Hermanator X on Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:12 pm

so sorry wrote:
Hermanator X wrote:Must resist reading io9.com article!! Im guessing this is gonna be all over the genre sites, if its legit, as they wont be able to help themselves.

Meh, didn't seem like that big of a deal. Probably half that stuff they mentioned would be in a trailer anyway.

Fair enough, like I said I didnt read it, but the attention grabbing blurb pre link seemed to imply a script breakdown. Just know how gentlemanly some people can be when it comes to spoilers.

Feel free to mod this thread into oblivion if its a false alarm.
...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:33 pm

Hermanator X wrote:
so sorry wrote:

Fair enough, like I said I didnt read it, but the attention grabbing blurb pre link seemed to imply a script breakdown. Just know how gentlemanly some people can be when it comes to spoilers.

Feel free to mod this thread into oblivion if its a false alarm.

I think I'm gonna avoid the story just in case, so I'll leave the decision about the thread to the other mods, but I did want to say that I appreciate the thought, Hermanator! I hate getting spoiled. Warnings like this are welcome, at least to me.
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby Fried Gold on Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:54 pm

If true, it's extremely spoilerish. Don't read it unless such you're not really bothered by such things.

Something tells me it's not entirely true though. For example, The Riddler being mentioned when Nolan has already said The Riddler wouldn't be in it. It also seems like a lot of new ideas to build up for a final act in a trilogy.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby buster00 on Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:38 pm

Presuming we're looking at the same io9 article, it sounds fake as hell to me.
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:10 am

I have no idea what you guys are on about. I can't even find a link to this.

Link please?

Otherwise I'm submitting my own script to these guys with a spin off character named Sharkman.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Re: BATMAN 3 SPOILERS

Postby TheButcher on Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:43 am

Script review from Script Flags:
http://www.scriptflags.com/2011/01/batm ... cript.html

I don't think this is real. Maybe its another case of:
"GORDON HAS A BEER AND CHEETS ON HIS WIFE!!"
Last edited by TheButcher on Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Pacino86845 on Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:41 am

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:I have no idea what you guys are on about. I can't even find a link to this.

Link please?

Otherwise I'm submitting my own script to these guys with a spin off character named Sharkman.

What everyone is wondering, though, is will there be an Otterboy in your screenplay adaptation?
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby The Garbage Man on Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:40 pm

I would bet a substantial amount of money that it's a fake. They offer no proof other than their subjective judgment that it feels more real than past fakes, and there's just flat-out waaaaay too much going on in that outlined script. If you read their summary while imagining it not just as a Batman movie but a Nolan Batman movie... c'mon, man. It's just ludicrous.
The Garbage Man
AIRWOLF

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:22 pm

Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Ribbons on Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:15 pm

What's good for Detroit is good for America! Wait, do we still say that? Anyway whatever.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Re: BATMAN 3 SPOILERS

Postby TheButcher on Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:00 pm

From Collider:
RUMOR: THE DARK KNIGHT RISES Casting Info, Shooting Dates, and Design Details for the New Batmobile and Batcave

HEAT VISION EXCLUSIVE: Shortlist of Actresses Vying for Next Batman Film
Borys Kit wrote: Christopher Nolan is looking at some of Hollywood's leading actresses -- as well as a few emerging talents -- for major female roles in The Dark Knight Rises, his next Batman film.

Sources tell Heat Vision that Keira Knightley, Anne Hathaway and Jessica Biel (pictured, top left) are due to test for roles in the Warner Bros. superhero tentpole in the next two weeks. Also testing are relative newcomers Kate Mara (top right) and Charlotte Riley (bottom left). Hot British actress Gemma Arterton (bottom right) has also scheduled to test but, as Heat Vision first reported last week, Arterton just landed the female lead in Paramount's Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters and might now have scheduling issues.

Dark Knight Rises needs to fill two big female roles, a villain and a love interest. Sources say one character is Talia, the daughter of villain Ra's Al Ghul, who was portrayed by Liam Neeson in Nolan's first Gotham-set crime pic Batman Begins. In the comic books, Talia is both Batman's lover and antagonist, ultimately siring his alter ego Bruce Wayne's son.
While Knightley, Hathaway and Biel are well-known actresses, the other two are up-and-comers. Mara had brief roles in 127 Hours and Iron Man 2 in 2010. Her sister Rooney Mara is currently shooting David Fincher's The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo in the title role. Riley is a British actress who has done mostly TV work. She is engaged to Tom Hardy, who co-starred in Nolan's summer smash Inception and has already booked an unspecified role in Dark Knight Rises.

Despite some online reports, Naomi Watts and Eva Green have not been cast. Although there has been interest in Watts, the Australian actress can't even do meetings as she is busy shooting the tsunami disaster drama The Impossible with Ewan McGregor in Thailand. (Watts can't be completely discounted, though, since she will wrap before Dark Knight Rises begins.) Green, meanwhile, is due to star in the business drama Arbitrage with Al Pacino, which shoots in April.

The film, written by David Goyer, Nolan and his brother Jonathan and produced by Nolan, Emma Thomas and Charles Roven, is looking at a May start, with shooting to take place in London and Los Angeles, according to insiders. Christian Bale is set to return as the Caped Crusader.

Nolan and Warner Bros. declined to comment.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Wolfman Nards on Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:22 pm

All 3 of those actresses do not seem to fit the caliber of the Nolanverse. Naomi Watts and Rachel Weiz on the other hand...
Wolfman Nards
GLIB

Postby TheBaxter on Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:28 pm

Wolfman Nards wrote:All 3 of those actresses do not seem to fit the caliber of the Nolanverse. Naomi Watts and Rachel Weiz on the other hand...

yeah, no one on that list could possibly live up to the performance given by katie holmes
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Hermanator X on Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:31 pm

TheBaxter wrote:
Wolfman Nards wrote:All 3 of those actresses do not seem to fit the caliber of the Nolanverse. Naomi Watts and Rachel Weiz on the other hand...

yeah, no one on that list could possibly live up to the performance given by katie holmes

Apart from the star of The Mummy.
...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Postby Hermanator X on Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:37 pm

Oh yeah, and I had the news spoiled for me as to who the villain is supposed to be(according to the leaked script), in a BANNER HEADLINE on fecking hitfix.

"Casting hunt for *******(Redacted character name) underway"

Its one thing reading an article, or wiping over invisitext, but to put the spoiler in the headline is a shitty trick. Ah well.
...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Postby Chilli on Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:03 pm

Hermanator X wrote:Oh yeah, and I had the news spoiled for me as to who the villain is supposed to be(according to the leaked script), in a BANNER HEADLINE on fecking hitfix.

"Casting hunt for *******(Redacted character name) underway"

Its one thing reading an article, or wiping over invisitext, but to put the spoiler in the headline is a shitty trick. Ah well.

That leaked script synopsis reads like crack-addict fan fic. I wouldn't put much stock in it!
Bison: [to his architect] The temple above us was the wonder of the ancient world. Bisonopolis shall be the wonder of my world. But I think the food court should be larger. All the big franchises will want in.
Chilli
The Unfriendly Ghost

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:01 pm

I dislike all of the actresses in the running for Batman 3, especially if they are to be the villain. It gives me the feeling that Batman 3 won't be a hat trick. Also the 'novelty' of making a villain female instead of male, unto itself I've never seen work.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Ribbons on Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:12 am

Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Re: The Dark Knight Rises Score

Postby TheButcher on Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:22 am

Hans Zimmer Says 'The Dark Knight Rises' Score Will 'Invent And Reinvent'
Josh Wigler wrote:MTV News caught up with Zimmer on the red carpet at the Critics Choice awards this past weekend to talk about his work on the developing Batman movie, and he confirmed that he's already started talking with Nolan about the film: "Yes. And that's all I'm going to say!"

Well, that's not all he was going to say. Zimmer told us that he has "possibly" engaged in conversations with Nolan about the arc of the final film as well as some of the new heroes and villains it'll include, though he said that he "can't tell you anything more" about those characters.

Instead, Zimmer talked about what it's like approaching "The Dark Knight Rises" as the third and final act in a trilogy. While there's an attempt to call back to previous movies in the series, the composer said that he's also aiming for some self-contained elements as well.

"The thing about Chris and myself is, what we try to do, is treat each one with the autonomy it deserves, to try and invent and reinvent, not just go over old ground," he said. "I think that's what was most exciting for people on 'The Dark Knight.' They knew we were doing the 'Batman' movie, but they had no idea it was going to be that kind of 'Batman' movie."

As for whether or not he's already started working on the "Dark Knight Rises" score, Zimmer said: "Of course. Chris likes working that way. I like to give him music before he starts."
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Chilli on Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:05 pm

Hathaway? AWESOME!
Bison: [to his architect] The temple above us was the wonder of the ancient world. Bisonopolis shall be the wonder of my world. But I think the food court should be larger. All the big franchises will want in.
Chilli
The Unfriendly Ghost

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:28 pm

Anne Hathaway is mediocre. This is shit.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Bloo on Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:31 pm

http://www.deadline.com/interstitial/?ref=http://www.deadline.com/2011/01/anne-hathaway-wins-selina-kyle-role-in-the-dark-knight-rises/

Hathaway as Catwoman and Tom hardy as Bane(?!?!?!) interest level decreasing. I know they have their fans, but I dislike both Catwoman and Bane.

And I just can't see Tom Hardy as Bane (who is supposed to be a huge fucking Mexican)
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby Peven on Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:35 pm

Bloo wrote:http://www.deadline.com/interstitial/?ref=http://www.deadline.com/2011/01/anne-hathaway-wins-selina-kyle-role-in-the-dark-knight-rises/

Hathaway as Catwoman and Tom hardy as Bane(?!?!?!) interest level decreasing. I know they have their fans, but I dislike both Catwoman and Bane.

And I just can't see Tom Hardy as Bane (who is supposed to be a huge fucking Mexican)

Catwoman: "so, Bane, are you a MexiCAN...or a MexiCAN'T?"

Bane: "bloody 'ell, I'm a MexiCAN!"

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Chilli on Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:37 pm

Bloo wrote:http://www.deadline.com/interstitial/?ref=http://www.deadline.com/2011/01/anne-hathaway-wins-selina-kyle-role-in-the-dark-knight-rises/

Ever seen Bronson?
Chilli
The Unfriendly Ghost

Postby TheBaxter on Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:48 pm

what, you mean this guy?

looks believable as a mexican to me.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Spandau Belly on Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:49 pm

I'm prettymuch dead neutral on Hathaway in terms of acting talent and looks.

I've seen Hardy in like five movies and never recognized him, so I'll back him in any role.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby Al Shut on Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:55 pm

Hard to judge the casting without knowing how the characters will play out in Nolan's universe.

Or in Bane's case who the hell they are.
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby Bloo on Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:58 pm

Chilli wrote:

Ever seen Bronson?

I loved Bronson, and I can see Tom Hardy playing a big muscular smart dude, but again, Bane is hispanic (I said Mexican but i think technically it's one of DC's made up South American countries) and Tom Hardy well he ain't

EDIT: HOWEVER in the talkbacks topside, there is some speculation that they'll be combining Hugo Strange with Bane which might be an interesting twist.
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby John-Locke on Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:16 pm

Hathaway in a skin tight Cat Suit?

Thats just Puuuuuuuuurfect*

*sorry for the shit joke
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:36 pm

Well Anne Hathaway does have a considerably overlarge smile like a Cheshire cat so I guess that's one thing she has going for Catwoman.

Otherwise I'd like to think that she does hathaway about her that convinces me she's a good fit but I still think she's mediocre.

Also with Nolan's vision of this world so down to earth, it might be a bit hard for him not to make someone dressing up as a moggy look ridiculous.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Peven on Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:47 pm

yeah, i am somewhat underwhelmed by the choice of Hathaway myself, she has always seemed kind of plain-jane to me compared to other actresses that are known for their beauty. she has decent acting chops, though and maybe she can use those, and some skin tight black leather, to compensate.....

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Chilli on Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:01 pm

Peven wrote:yeah, i am somewhat underwhelmed by the choice of Hathaway myself, she has always seemed kind of plain-jane to me compared to other actresses that are known for their beauty. she has decent acting chops, though and maybe she can use those, and some skin tight black leather, to compensate.....

Nolan doesn't do attractive female characters.
Chilli
The Unfriendly Ghost

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:04 pm

Chilli wrote:
Peven wrote:yeah, i am somewhat underwhelmed by the choice of Hathaway myself, she has always seemed kind of plain-jane to me compared to other actresses that are known for their beauty. she has decent acting chops, though and maybe she can use those, and some skin tight black leather, to compensate.....

Say that to Ellen!!! :evil: :evil: If you never post here again I'll assume that the Power of Ellen has destroyed you.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Chilli on Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:06 pm

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:
Chilli wrote:

Say that to Ellen!!! :evil: :evil: If you never post here again I'll assume that the Power of Ellen has destroyed you.

I'm not saying he doesn't cast attractive women, but he doesn't make them look particularly sexy. Page was soaking wet for a ten minute stretch, and yet not once did he attempt to make her come across as sexual.
Chilli
The Unfriendly Ghost

Postby ironic name on Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:03 pm

he's so short!
ironic name
had cheer sex with Megan Gale

Re: The Dark Knight Rises (Really?) - Now w/ Catwoman & Bane

Postby Pacino86845 on Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:19 pm

Bane?! Are you serious!? HAHA it's gonna SUCK!
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Ribbons on Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:25 pm

You're gonna suck!
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:27 pm

This is most irregular.
caruso_stalker217
TOO AGED FOR THIS MALARKEY

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:43 pm

I know hat tricks are hard to do in trilogies. And from the turnout of Batman 3 so far, it might be on that way to being the same as other failed 3 in a rows.

You got no Joker again. Which I thought was pretty dumb of Nolan not to recast him if their WAS original intention of bringing him back. Maybe casting Ledger was a false economy after all, if this is the case.

Catwoman - I just don't see it working that well. Female villains don't really interest or threaten me so much, and Anne Hathaway is neither here nor there for me, there's much more riveting actresses out there with her looks. Plus Nolan don't really have that much of a 'vision' for these films which are so grounded in reality, so I wonder how Cattish Catwoman will look. Nolan's suggestion to the costume department, "Oh just bung some Halloween party cat ears on her head and call it done, yeah?"

Bane - could work, Tom Hardy was great in Inception and if he's the chameleon that people say he is, then I expect he'd do well with this, but I heard Bane was a bit limited character wise and I feel there might be a stretch with him in this film, a stretch that we might all feel too in his portrayal. He's not meant to be the most inspired character of the comics.

Put it this way, if Nolan calls me to be an Extra on this film, instead of jumping up and down and losing sleep over working on it, this time I'll just tell him "I'll think about it." And my lacking presence in this film alone will be what usurps it.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby DerLanghaarige on Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:48 pm

There is only one thing that catches my interest: Was the "leaked" script now real? I mean, were Bane and Catwoman even in it? Who read it?
I'm just asking, because I found it funny that so many kids all over the internet were freaking out over a script that had a 95% possibility of being fake.
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

PreviousNext

Return to Movie Discussion