The Future of Star Wars, Indiana Jones & Beyond

All the dirt. All the top secret stuff. Anything that has to do with the process of getting us to sit and watch something projected on the big screen.

Re: The Future of Star Wars, Indiana Jones & Beyond

Postby Fievel on Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:07 am

so sorry wrote:
Fievel wrote:
John-Locke wrote:
DennisMM wrote:Where did that George Lucas go?

Up his own arse

You would think it would be a little cramped with Rick McCallum living in there, but it really isn't.

He's got a finished basement so its cool.

Possibly the best euphemism I've heard in a while, and I don't even know what it means.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Al Shut on Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:18 am

My guess is that he's reffering to this

Fievel wrote:3 bedrooms (room for a 4th in finished basement), 2.5 baths, 2200 square feet (with another huge chunk of sq. ft. in the finished basement)

Fievel also wrote: Kids are everywhere. The neighborhood is paved.

Yep sounds like Lucas' ass
Note to myself: Fix this image shit!
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby Fievel on Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:50 pm

Al Shut wrote:My guess is that he's reffering to this

Fievel wrote:3 bedrooms (room for a 4th in finished basement), 2.5 baths, 2200 square feet (with another huge chunk of sq. ft. in the finished basement)

Fievel also wrote: Kids are everywhere. The neighborhood is paved.

Yep sounds like Lucas' ass

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Ha! I'm gonna do it in Lucas's ass!
Jealous bitches!
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby DennisMM on Sat Sep 03, 2011 4:12 pm

But Lucas is full of shit. Eww.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Re: Star Wars Episode I Trailer

Postby TheButcher on Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:50 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace

Postby TheButcher on Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:55 pm

AMC Offers Exclusive Star Wars: The Phantom Menace 3D Pod Racer Glasses
Brian Gallagher wrote:The first chapter of the Star Wars Saga arrives in theatres for the first time ever in 3D starting February 10, and AMC theatres across the country are celebrating the occasion with plans to make opening weekend one for fans and families to remember!

To mark the return of Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace to theatres, now in immersive 3D, kids, collectors and Star Wars fans of all ages will receive an all-new Hasbro Star Wars Fighter Pod with the purchase of each RealD 3D ticket for Episode I all weekend long, February 10-12, only at AMC theatres (limit one per ticket, while supplies last).

Additionally, 10 AMC theatres in the United States will host exclusive event screenings in RealD 3D to bring the fun of Star Wars in 3D to life for families and fans. Starting Saturday, Feb. 11 at 11 a.m. local time, select theatres will offer activities, giveaways and interactive experiences. Fans can expect (while supplies last):

* Exclusive Anakin Skywalker Podracer 3D glasses with ticket purchase, to truly get into the speed and spectacle of 3D Star Wars on the big screen.
    * A Hasbro Star Wars Fighter Pods collectible toy with RealD 3D ticket purchase
    * A Lego feature area
    * Darth Maul face-painting; a chance to reveal your inner Sith Lord at long last!
    * Special character appearances for photo opportunities
    * Demonstrations of the upcoming Xbox Kinect Star Wars
The 10 participating Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace exclusive event screening theatres are:
    * Atlanta: AMC Southlake 24
    * Boston: AMC Loews Liberty Tree Mall 20
    * Chicago: AMC South Barrington 30
    * Denver: AMC Highlands Ranch 24
    * Los Angeles: AMC Tustin 14 at The District, AMC Ontario Mills 30
    * New York: AMC Empire 25, AMC Garden State 16
    * Phoenix: AMC Mesa Grand 24
    * San Francisco: AMC Emeryville Bay Street 16
Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace comes to theaters February 10th, 2012 and stars Liam Neeson, Ewan McGregor, Natalie Portman, Jake Lloyd, Ian McDiarmid, Pernilla August, Oliver Ford Davies, Hugh Quarshie. The film is directed by George Lucas.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace

Postby TheButcher on Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:54 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Star Wars 3D

Postby TheButcher on Sat Jan 28, 2012 6:36 pm

MTV Exclusive: 'Phantom Menace' 3D Preview From 'Star Wars' Insider
Star Wars Insider: How far back does the idea of Star Wars in 3D go?
John Knoll:
Toward the end of working on Episode III, Rick McCallum, George Lucas, and I started seeing 3D samples. I remember seeing a reel where a bunch of scenes had been ripped from DVD from various films, including Star Wars. I remember feeling that a lot of the space and the dimensions weren’t quite right on it, but I thought it was pretty neat and so cool to see it in 3D. I remember George saying at the time, “Yeah, I think I want to do this.”
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Indiana Jones Special Edition Blu-ray

Postby TheButcher on Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:55 pm

From THR:
The 'Indiana Jones' Series Set for Blu-ray Release This Fall (Video)
Update: Spielberg and Lucas' first three films join "Crystal Skull" in high-definition thanks to a set featuring a "best of" collection of extras and a few "new surprises."
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Star Wars Land

Postby TheButcher on Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:23 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Tue May 08, 2012 9:47 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:48 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheBaxter on Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:55 am

if this thing is in REAL imax*, i'm there!

* if it's in fake imax, i'm probably there too.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby so sorry on Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:13 pm

TheBaxter wrote:

if this thing is in REAL imax*, i'm there!

* if it's in fake imax, i'm probably there too.

Me too. This is pretty exciting for me. I distinctly remember seeing it when I was 11 with my parents. We waiting in a huge line, and ended up being seated in the first row. My neck was killing me after that, but the movie kicked my 11 year old ass.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby TheButcher on Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:50 pm

'Raiders of the Lost Ark' IMAX Trailer, Poster & Indy Movie Marathon!
AMC Theatres is planning a one day marathon of Raiders of the Lost Ark, Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade and Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull on September 15th. Tickets are only $25 and you can find out which theaters are hosting the event right here.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby so sorry on Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:53 am

TheButcher wrote:'Raiders of the Lost Ark' IMAX Trailer, Poster & Indy Movie Marathon!
AMC Theatres is planning a one day marathon of Raiders of the Lost Ark, Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade and Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull on September 15th. Tickets are only $25 and you can find out which theaters are hosting the event right here.

Playing at the theater in my town, but I'll be honest with you fellas...I'd rather pay just to see Raiders only. I like all three films (yes, I said THREE :twisted: ), but I'm not willing to commit a whole day to seeing them all. And paying 25 bones to watch Raiders then walk out isn't in my budget. Oh well...
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby TheBaxter on Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:42 am

so sorry wrote:
TheButcher wrote:'Raiders of the Lost Ark' IMAX Trailer, Poster & Indy Movie Marathon!

Playing at the theater in my town, but I'll be honest with you fellas...I'd rather pay just to see Raiders only. I like all three films (yes, I said THREE :twisted: ), but I'm not willing to commit a whole day to seeing them all. And paying 25 bones to watch Raiders then walk out isn't in my budget. Oh well...

you can see just ROTLA too, the marathon is only Sept 15. Raiders by itself is playing Sept 7-13. as i figured, it's only gonna be in fake IMAX (or LieMAX, as they so cleverly call it in that article) but still worth it.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby so sorry on Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:51 am

TheBaxter wrote:
so sorry wrote:

you can see just ROTLA too, the marathon is only Sept 15. Raiders by itself is playing Sept 7-13. as i figured, it's only gonna be in fake IMAX (or LieMAX, as they so cleverly call it in that article) but still worth it.

Its not showing up that way at my theater (thru Fandango and Moviefone). Just seeing the trilogy. But its a few weeks away and just announced, so maybe they just have to catch up to the news...
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Re: Star Wars: Episode II - Attack of the Clones

Postby TheButcher on Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:22 am

From IGN:
Star Wars: Attack of the Clones 3D Preview Footage Impresses
Sand gets everywhere - in 3D!
Eric Goldman wrote:Lucasfilm is continuing with 3D conversions and rereleases of the Star Wars saga and this weekend at Star Wars Celebration VI, the first footage was shown from Star Wars: Episode II – Attack of the Clones 3D.

I was among those who was not impressed by the conversion of The Phantom Menace. It didn’t include that ugly, off-putting look that cheaply done conversions like Clash of the Titans have, but it also didn’t really impress as 3D – and it was hard not to wonder if it was just an innate limitation when it comes to converting old movies that were never intended to be in 3D.

However, based on what was shown at Celebration, the 3D in Attack of the Clones is a marked improvement. We were shown a long sizzle reel for the film, taking us through the movie via short clips, which showed off the 3D to an admirable extent.

In the opening sequence of the Naboo cruiser arriving on Coruscant, the ship truly seemed to be coming out of the side of the screen. And there was a lot of cool 3D visuals in the footage we saw of Anakin and Obi-Wan’s speeder chase through Coruscant – especially when Anakin leapt from the speeder down towards Zam Wesell, and Anakin himself appeared to be a physically present figure, falling away from the viewer into the distance.

I was also impressed by the waves on Kamino, which looked incredibly lifelike and ready to splash onto the audience in the establishing shots of the water-covered planet.

Some of the scenes from we saw weren’t quite as notable. The Droid Factory bit and the Yoda/Dooku lightsaber battle both looked fine, but unremarkable, from a 3D perspective. Still, overall, the sequences we saw from the 3D version really stood out and seemed like a giant step up from Phantom Menace.

ILM’s Dennis Muren (who worked on all six Star Wars films) and John Knoll (who worked on the Special Editions and the prequels) discussed the conversion process and how meticulous and time-consuming it was - about a year-long in total for each film. It involved going through the entire film and separating the elements and working to make sure the 3D looked correct and gave objects the proper amount of depth. In some cases, the shift in perspective in a scene has led to new digital work having to be done. An example was shown from the end of Attack of the Clones, as the 3D meant we were looking at Palpatine, Bail Organa and the other politicians looking down at the Clone Troopers from a slightly different angle, leaving blank spaces on the background which needed to be filled in, using the original matte paintings and backgrounds.

Since this whole process involves going back into a lot of the digital elements, Knoll admitted, “We might have archived things a bit differently if we knew we were coming back to it,” noting with Phantom Menace, they were dealing with elements from “13, 14 years ago. The backups only last so long. Sometimes the priorities on what you back up change over the time.”

Knoll said the process had been easier on Attack of the Clones than Phantom Menace, because, "The newer the film is the easier it is to go into the archives and recover things.”

That makes a lot of sense and probably accounts for some of the differences in the 3D visuals for the films, and hints at Revenge of the Sith 3D looking great too.

It’s less comforting in regards to the original trilogy, which obviously are much older films and lacking in as many digital elements that can be separated as easily. Still, if anyone can pull it off, it would be ILM.

Discussing why he felt it made sense to convert Star Wars into 3D, Knoll said, “The cool thing about 3D is it’s immersive,” noting it helped make you feel “You are there." He added, “What better universe would you want to have that feeling with than Star Wars?”

No release date has been announced for Attack of the Clones 3D, thought it seems likely it will be around the same time as the February release date The Phantom Menace 3D had this year.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Star Wars: Episode II - Attack of the Clones

Postby TheButcher on Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:26 am

From Cinemaroll March 7, 2012:
Rumors of posible deleted scenes being incorparated?
Now that George Lucas’s first official instalment, Star Wars: Phantom Menace, has all but blasted it’s way from American theaters in this galaxy, there has been many wild rumors and speculation as of late, that the next Prequel Adventure of the the mega successful, space fantasy series, Star Wars Episode II: The Attack of the Clones, could possibly have a few extra surprises for us in it’s 3D re-release next spring.

Recently the rumor mill has been “ah” turning with possibilities we could see a slight “Extended Version”, of the film, come next February. Chud Magazine spoke to a Lucasfilm representative in their P.R. Department about the future running time of the 2nd Star Wars Episode, soon to be re-released in theaters, and here’s what they had to say about it,. .

“I can not speak at this time about what will be in the cut of the movie, or if it will be different from the Blu-Ray collection, or any of the versions you’ve seen thus far, we (Lucasfilm) are still in the very early process of working on the movie (Episode II) and converting it to the 3D medium. Any extra material or slight alterations, is of course, approved and done by Mr. George Lucas himself.”

So if there is any truth to this rumor at all, I’m sure the early fan favorite would most likely be the Naberrie family scenes, (Padme’s home on Naboo that was nixed from the film early on) as zealous fans have been all but screaming at Mr. Lucas since the release of the Star Wars: Episode II DVD extras, way back in 2002, to incorporate those additional scenes.

But given the 3D nature of this theatrical re-release, the sign might point to additional action beats. There are so many deleted scenes and cut material from the movie, it’s just fun to guess and speculate at this point. But why Episode II? Might it be the recent competition of James Cameron’s, “Titanic in 3D”, have something to do with this added change? And if so, will Episode III follow in this pattern? Only time will tell if this turns out to be true.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Star Wars: Episode II & III

Postby Indy Jones on Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:54 pm

Both movies at the same time? That's good imo, means we'll get to the Original Trilogy faster.
Indy Jones
GLIB

Postby TheButcher on Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:39 pm

From Variety:
Disney likely to treat Lucasfilm like Pixar - Lucasfilm will face task of ramping up production
David S. Cohen wrote:As far as many visual effects mavens were concerned, the Disney-Lucasfilm merger sent a great disturbance through the Force.

While Disney is the ideal company to exploit "Star Wars" through theme parks, the acquisition included Industrial Light & Magic, the greatest name in visual effects.

Vfx pros remember Disney's acquisition and dismantling of another vfx studio, Dream Quest Images, and still resent it.

At the 2006 Visual Effects Society Awards, just weeks after the Disney-Pixar merger, John Lasseter recounted his early days at Disney (He was fired for daring to experiment with CG animation), and some in the audience booed the very mention of the company. Those wounds may not be fresh, but they are deep.

I think their concern is misplaced. It's the larger Lucasfilm, not ILM, that I'm going to be keeping an eye on. I expect Lucasfilm will be treated a lot like Pixar, and that's not entirely a good thing.

Pixar is one of two relevant precedents for such an acquisition under the Bob Iger regime, the other being Marvel.

Pixar and its leadership were paid billions to come in and resuscitate Disney's animation operation, and if the excellent "Wreck-It Ralph" is any indication, that effort seems to be succeeding. But in exchange for Disney's billions, Pixar had to commit to making sequels, which it had refused to do before the merger. They've had to ramp up production from a movie every one to two years to a movie about every nine months.

The problem is that Pixar's approach to filmmaking, which made it the most reliable hitmaker in the business and the most trusted brand in entertainment, can't be scaled up that much, so it had to change. Originally, every staffer worked on every Pixar feature, sometimes doing multiple tasks on each picture. Now they have multiple production teams and more specialists.

Moreover, their "brain trust" approach, in which every Pixar director participates in reviews of every other director's footage, works well when there are two or three movies in production but is much harder to implement when there are eight or nine movies in the pipeline.

Pixar's tech side, its animation and CG, is magnificent and always improving. But their once-unerring story sense seems to be wavering. "Cars 2" and "Brave" looked gorgeous but weren't great stories. They seem to be slipping.

What about Marvel Studios? It has long had a road map for up to three pics a year, so Disney didn't need to ramp it up. Marvel doesn't have a vfx company, but Marvel's Victoria Alonso oversees vfx on Marvel pics, taking over some of a vfx studio's traditional management functions.

Disney lets Marvel do what it does, and since Marvel already does it inexpensively, it's a good fit. Under Alonso, Marvel opted not to bring back ILM for vfx on "Iron Man 3." (It had done the first two "Iron Man" pics.) Vfx work on that pic has been split between several vfx studios, including Digital Domain and a Chinese company. Alonso says Disney wasn't involved in that decision, and given Marvel's penchant for keeping costs down, I don't see any reason to doubt her.

Like Pixar, Lucasfilm has a built-in tech operation that's the envy of the industry, plus a layer of creative and business leadership to protect it from Disney micromanagement. Like Marvel, Lucasfilm has its own pre-existing intellectual property. But Lucasfilm doesn't have a proven history of being able to make several movies a year. It will have to go from making a movie every now and then, when the spirit moved George Lucas, to delivering movies on a consistent schedule. In that respect, too, it's more like Pixar.

So I'm not worried about ILM under Disney. Given the pressures on the vfx industry in California, Disney is the least of ILM's problems. I think Kathy Kennedy's bigger challenge is revitalizing Lucasfilm to meet the new production schedule. She's taking a roadster that's been up on blocks for a while and restoring it for a punishing cross-country rally. ILM's the one part of the car that's road-tested and proven. It's the rest of the vehicle that needs adjustment.

Kennedy must make the rest of Lucasfilm's development and production operation match ILM's quality, speed and flexibility. I expect Disney will leave her alone to do what she does, like Marvel. And I expect that internally, ILM will show the rest of Lucasfilm the way.

But, as Pixar has found, accelerating production to meet Disney's hungry merchandising and theme park pipelines can bring tradeoffs. Let's hope Lucasfilm is ready for the race.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:49 pm

Weekly ForceCast: October 31, 2012
DISNEY PURCHASES LUCASFILM FOR 4 BILLION DOLLARS... STAR WARS EPISODE VII TO BE RELEASED IN 2015!! It's the biggest announcement this millennium for Star Wars fans and the ForceCast is here to help you sort it all out with instant analysis from a few friends, including Steve Sansweet, Kyle Newman, Paul Bateman, Star Wars Insider Editor Jonathan Wilkins, original Star Wars Fan Club President Dan Madsen, Aljon Go from Sorcerer's Radio, and Rebelscum's Jovial Jay Shepard.

Rick McCallum has retired.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheBaxter on Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:44 pm

TheButcher wrote:Weekly ForceCast: October 31, 2012
DISNEY PURCHASES LUCASFILM FOR 4 BILLION DOLLARS... STAR WARS EPISODE VII TO BE RELEASED IN 2015!! It's the biggest announcement this millennium for Star Wars fans and the ForceCast is here to help you sort it all out with instant analysis from a few friends, including Steve Sansweet, Kyle Newman, Paul Bateman, Star Wars Insider Editor Jonathan Wilkins, original Star Wars Fan Club President Dan Madsen, Aljon Go from Sorcerer's Radio, and Rebelscum's Jovial Jay Shepard.

makes sense. he was hired to be Lucas' yes man. there's no one left for him to say "yes" to anymore.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Fievel on Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:30 pm

TheBaxter wrote:
TheButcher wrote:Weekly ForceCast: October 31, 2012

makes sense. he was hired to be Lucas' yes man. there's no one left for him to say "yes" to anymore.

It's just amazing how visible he was during the prequel years.... he was everywhere. You saw his face more than Lucas. And now? Shit... I just Googled his name and under the news feed got NOTHING. Blows my mind that he's not part of this - publicly anyways. Unless he's taking part of the hit for the lack of public love for the prequels. He WAS the "yes man" and not the "maybe you shouldn't" man.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby TheButcher on Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:51 am

Star Wars, the once and future franchise [EW]

From Latino Review:
Star Wars: Return of Another Trilogy
Ruben Gonzalez wrote:With all kinds of information at our finger tips the world is a smaller place to be. The news of the world’s conflicts now hits closer and closer to home leaving behind a public numbed with socio-political upheavals.

Our entertainment is now increasingly more escapist, this can account for the success of such fantastic and awe-inspiring movie fare such as Lord of the Rings, Avatar, the Dark Knight, and… Star Wars.

Disney is on a roll to dominate pop culture and the acquisition of Lucasfilm after its Marvel purchase continues the trend.

Kathleen Kennedy, who will be George Lucas’ successor, plans to do two to three movies a year. The most prominent of these: Star Wars. Even though it’s improbable, it could be Disney will milk the iconic franchise until it bleeds.

There has only been the announcement of this future Star Wars movie, but already the rumor mill clamors for more. Quite a few directors have come up; the most interestingly mentioned being Guillermo Del Toro, if he could find the time. It also remains to be seen if the original cast of the first trilogy will appear or in what definite roles. There are also countless of books that can serve as inspiration to the next set of adventures.

Other successful titles that could be in play are Indiana Jones or the Land Before Time. Maybe we can get re-imaginings of forgotten fair such as “Willow” or “Latino.” And just maybe, if fate demands it, we can get the sprawling epic of “Howard the Duck” we all deserve.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:07 am

Part 3: George Lucas and Kathleen Kennedy: An Interesting Proposal
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Fievel on Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:43 pm

It's Official! Disney/Lucasfilm Hire Lawrence Kasdan And Simon Kinberg To Write And Produce Future STAR WARS Installments!

Call it blasphemous, but the thought of bringing Kasdan back into the fold, especially after all this time, for the new trilogy does not excite me one bit.

And Kinberg wrote X3.

What the fuck.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby TheButcher on Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:06 am

Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith 3D Moves One Week Earlier
20th Century Fox is following this year's 3D re-release of Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace with 3D versions of Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones and Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith in 2013. The former will arrive on September 20 and the latter on October 4.

Attack of the Clones will be going up against Ron Howard's Rush with Chris Hemsworth and Daniel Bruhl while Revenge of the Sith will face off against the Vince Vaughn comedy The Delivery Man, Relativity Media's thriller Paranoia and the Robert Rodriguez comic book sequel Sin City: A Dame to Kill For.

Attack of the Clones will also be battling for 3D screens against The Little Mermaid 3D, opening a week earlier.

Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace was released in 3D on February 10. Re-released by Fox, the 3D version earned $43.5 million domestically and $59.3 million internationally for a worldwide total of $102.7 million.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Fievel on Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:13 pm

Star Wars Producer Rick McCallum Retires from Lucasfilm

His retirement from Lucasfilm was actually revealed quietly last month, the same week that the Disney purchase was announced. Lucasfilm's director of fan relations, Steve Sansweet, announced it on the ForceCast.net podcast... which really seems like a kind of s#!tty way to say goodbye to the guy.

Whoops.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby TheBaxter on Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:21 am

Fievel wrote:Star Wars Producer Rick McCallum Retires from Lucasfilm

His retirement from Lucasfilm was actually revealed quietly last month, the same week that the Disney purchase was announced. Lucasfilm's director of fan relations, Steve Sansweet, announced it on the ForceCast.net podcast... which really seems like a kind of s#!tty way to say goodbye to the guy.

Whoops.

the guy who acted as lucas' enabler through the whole prequel trilogy fiasco? yeah, the shittier the goodbye the better. here, take this jar-jar of jelly binks with you as a farewell gift.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby so sorry on Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:27 pm

TheBaxter wrote:
Fievel wrote:Star Wars Producer Rick McCallum Retires from Lucasfilm

Whoops.

the guy who acted as lucas' enabler through the whole prequel trilogy fiasco? yeah, the shittier the goodbye the better. here, take this jar-jar of jelly binks with you as a farewell gift.

I'm assuming his "retirement" was not just coincidental to the "retirement" of Lucas.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Re: Lucasfilm: The Kennedy Era

Postby TheButcher on Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:53 am

The Woman Behind Star Wars - Star Wars has a new Emperor, and her name is Kathleen Kennedy.

Lucy O'Brien wrote:For a moment, let’s forget about screenwriter Michael Arndt or the number of potential Episode VII directors bouncing around the rumour mill. The head creatives on the next Star Wars project are, if you’ll forgive the obvious allegory, the Darth Vaders of the franchise; the talented henchmen. Look beyond them and you’ll see Kathleen Kennedy, the one who holds the future of the franchise in her hands. Star Wars’ new Emperor, if you will.

For many casual moviegoers, the name doesn’t immediately evoke one of the most important people in the movie business today. Although Kennedy has played an intrinsic part in some of the most popular blockbusters from the last thirty years, she’s rarely in the spotlight, traditionally playing second fiddle to her frequent partner-in-crime, Steven Spielberg. She’s also a producer, and - let’s face it - producers are usually thought of as faceless Hollywood ‘suits,’ those who dot the i’s and cross the t’s behind the scenes.

But what’s so remarkable about Kennedy is her nose for good working partnerships and terrific stories. Alongside Lucas and Spielberg, she’s worked with Clint Eastwood, Robert Zemeckis, David Fincher and Martin Scorsese. She’s produced some of the greatest movies of all time, paving the way for the modern blockbuster. She’s also one of the most respected figures amongst her peers in Tinseltown, ranking #31 on Entertainment Weekly's ‘The 50 Smartest People in Hollywood’ in 2007.

So in the interests of keeping a keen eye on the evolution of George Lucas’ gift of a franchise - and it is indeed a gift - here’s all you need to know about Kathleen Kennedy.

The ‘80s, George Lucas and Steven Spielberg

Kennedy caught Steven Spielberg’s eye while working as a production assistant on 1941. The director brought her on as his personal associate on 1981’s Raiders of the Lost Ark, which was also her first collaboration with Lucas. During the period, she, Spielberg, and her future husband Frank Marshall formed Amblin Entertainment, the production company now synonymous with Spielberg and his close-knit buddy-buddy group of contemporaries.

For Kennedy and Marshall, it was remarkable timing. They may not have known it, but Spielberg’s star was about to soar into the stratosphere thanks to 1982’s E.T., for which Kennedy gained her first production credit. At the time, Kennedy was crippled with nerves – after all, she’d only had a couple of experiences on big-scale productions – and was violently ill with the stress. But E.T. was a resounding success, grossing just short of $800 million and nabbing Kennedy her first Academy Award nomination at age 29. Nerves, schmerves.

Spielberg, Kennedy and Marshall grew to become a powerhouse triumvirate in Hollywood. For many of us who grew up during the day-glo decade into the ‘90s, Kennedy, Spielberg and Marshall were entwined with our childhoods, whether we knew it or not. Gremlins, Who Framed Roger Rabbit, Hook, Back to the Future, *Batteries Not Included, An American Tail, The Land Before Time and The Goonies were amongst their early theatrical offerings. And on the small screen? The remarkable Amazing Stories, Tiny Toon Adventures, SeaQuest DSV, and Animaniacs. To this day, the production company holds onto a slightly dangerous and edgy ‘80s sensibility, particularly in its family fare. It’s telling that 2011’s nostalgic sci-fi romp Super 8 was produced by Amblin.

Although Kennedy branched away from the company in 1991, she continued to work with Spielberg on both his big commercial hits and his smaller, more personal films. The Temple of Doom (again, with Lucas), The Color Purple, Jurassic Park, Schindler’s List, Munich, The Lost World, A.I., War of the Worlds, Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (Lucas), Tintin and War Horse were all directed by Spielberg and produced, or executive produced, by Kennedy. Their latest collaboration, Lincoln, is currently screening in cinemas, and looks like it’ll be another big-hitter at next year’s Academy Awards.

The Kennedy/Marshall Company

It was through the Kennedy/Marshall Company, formed in 1991, that Kennedy and her husband were able to carve out identities away from Spielberg. She’s always cited her attraction to great stories above all, and the Kennedy/Marshall filmography can lay claims to a handful of the boldest mainstream hits of the last ten years. Their prestige reached new heights in 1999 with The Sixth Sense, and continued to grow through the new decade with The Bourne Identity (2002), Seabiscuit (2003), and The Curious Case of Benjamin Button (2008).

Amongst the American Oscar-bait and slick action flicks, Kennedy found time to focus on more intimate projects, bringing prestige pics like French biopic The Diving Bell and the Butterfly and art-house animation Persepolis into fruition. The Kennedy/Marshall Company is also responsible for the American versions of two recent Studio Ghibli productions, Ponyo and The Secret World of Arriety.

Together, the duo has brought over 90 films to the big screen. In terms of box office domestic box office receipts, Kennedy is second only to one. Spielberg.

Lucasfilm

In June 2012, Kennedy was named co-chair of Lucasfilm. Considering Kennedy/Marshall had just signed a lucrative deal at CBS, it was a move that befuddled many. Why would one of the most powerful producers in Hollywood leave her own baby to sign on as co-chair to a company the CEO of which seemed to be shuffling his way towards retirement?

And then came the $4.05 billion Disney acquisition, announced last month. Lucas stepped down, Kathy was named President, and now has full control over the future of the lucrative franchise. Considering their close working relationship, one can only assume that Kennedy and Lucas began discussions well before work on Lincoln began, and indeed, that the Disney deal was always a part of these discussions. The Disney/Lucas revelation rollout is still ongoing. But one thing is for certain: George Lucas has complete faith in Kathleen Kennedy.

“I don’t have to give advice to Kathy,” he said, during the most recent of his chat series with the producer. “She knows what to do. I mean, she knows better than I do.

“She has all the qualities to run a company like this. To make it great.”

Kennedy has kept her cards close to her chest since the announcement. But if we look back at some of her most recent interviews, it’s clear she’s got a firm grasp of today’s landscape. “I do think the movie industry is changing” she said in an interview with Collider, after the recent release of E.T. on Blu-ray. “I’ve been doing this a long time, I love it but I really want to know where this is all going, where the creative process is going. Some of the things that are going on with distribution online… across many different platforms and in a wide variety of formats, I actually see as a good thing. I think it’s very exciting. That’s what’s intriguing to me; hopefully being at the forefront of figuring out what that might be.”

In Kennedy we trust?

In Kennedy we trust.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:55 pm

Fievel wrote:It's Official! Disney/Lucasfilm Hire Lawrence Kasdan And Simon Kinberg To Write And Produce Future STAR WARS Installments!

Call it blasphemous, but the thought of bringing Kasdan back into the fold, especially after all this time, for the new trilogy does not excite me one bit.

And Kinberg wrote X3.

What the fuck.

Star Wars: How Writers Lawrence Kasdan and Simon Kinberg Will Expand the Galaxy
Sources tell THR that each will write separate projects, not necessarily "Episode 8" and "Episode 9" -- a plan similar to Marvel's movies around "The Avengers."
Borys Kit wrote:This story first appeared in the Dec. 7 issue of The Hollywood Reporter magazine.

The post-George Lucas Star Wars universe slowly is taking shape. Soon after it was announced Oct. 30 that Disney would acquire Lucasfilm for $4.05 billion, it was revealed that Oscar winner Michael Arndt (Little Miss Sunshine) had written a 40- to 50-page treatment for the new trilogy and would be writing the script for Star Wars: Episode VII.

Then reports emerged the week of Nov. 19 that The Empire Strikes Back’s Lawrence Kasdan (CAA, Greenberg Glusker) and Sherlock Holmes’ Simon Kinberg (CAA, Jackoway Tyerman) would be writing and producing Episode VIII and Episode IX, even as Disney and Lucasfilm refused to confirm their top-secret plans.

But now insiders tell THR that while Kasdan and Kinberg have indeed been hired to work on the Star Wars franchise, they will be writing separate projects (hence the reason why they also would receive producer credits), not necessarily Episode VIII and Episode IX.

Their scripts could turn into official “Episodes” in the main Skywalker storyline, or they could form the basis for spinoffs focusing on side characters. Disney CEO Robert Iger said the goal is to release a Star Wars movie “every two to three years,” and some could easily focus on other pieces of the expansive mythos (similar to Marvel’s Avengers universe). Disney and Lucasfilm declined comment.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Lucasfilm: The McCallum Era

Postby TheButcher on Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:08 am

From StarWars:
An Independent Future for Rick McCallum
As Lucasfilm embarks on a new future filled with more Star Wars movies, Rick McCallum, one of the key talents responsible for the past 20 years of Lucasfilm productions, has embarked on an exciting future filled with his own films. Coming from a background of independent film production, McCallum is readying films that bring him back to his roots, but now with the wealth of experience that comes from his two decades of collaboration with George Lucas.

McCallum's professional association with Lucas began with The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles (1992) and Radioland Murders (1994), and continued through the Special Edition release of the Star Wars Trilogy (1997), the prequel trilogy (Episodes I, II, and III, 1999-2005), and most recently Red Tails (2012).

"It's a producer's job to make possible a director's vision, whatever that may be," says McCallum. "George never let the limits of reality constrain his vision, so the challenge to production was always to find ways to make anything possible, while being respectful to the fact that he was financing his own movies. To do that, we needed to keep that independent filmmaking mentality that requires you to innovate and improvise, while making movies of enormous scale."

"Rick is a close friend as well as an extremely talented producer. No matter how impossible I made the task, Rick was able to overcome the challenges," says George Lucas. "In addition to putting together great crews and working miracles with the budget, he was instrumental in helping push filmmaking into the 21st century. He has a larger-than-life personality and made this amazing 20-year journey with him a fun one."

The partnership between Lucas and McCallum resulted in innovations that continue to shape the industry today. To deliver feature film quality production values on a weekly television schedule, McCallum's crew on Young Indiana Jones blazed new trails in digital postproduction that expanded crowd scenes, modified settings, and seamlessly blended scenes shot in wildly different conditions, all while traveling to over 35 countries around the world on the longest sustained location shoot in film history. These innovations were refined and expanded to create the amazing visual scale of the Star Wars prequels.

"We had hit the limit of production technology, and I needed someone with conviction and passion to help us into the digital realm," says Lucas. "Rick became an evangelist for the endless possibilities digital technology offered filmmakers. Rick and I fought many battles side-by-side, constantly facing nay-sayers who were convinced we could never make the lasting changes in the movie business that we set out to make. I cannot be more proud of what Rick accomplished. We worked with over 60 companies and hundreds of amazing engineers and artists over a 10-year period to bring about overdue changes: now digital cameras routinely capture images, films are released digitally, and the entire production pipeline maintains unprecedented quality by being digital. As I go off to make my own experimental films -- and I hope to be able to collaborate with Rick again on one of these projects -- I wish him the best and look forward to seeing his new films."

Since completing Red Tails, McCallum has relocated to Prague, his wife's native country, and he is now in development of a slate of smaller, independent films that more closely resemble the projects he was involved with prior to his association with Lucasfilm. "I have a Russian film about the Babi Yar Massacre in development that is being directed by Sergei Loznitsa. I am also working with Tomás Masín on a Czech story about two brothers who escaped Czechoslovakia during the Cold War while being chased by 28,000 Soviet soldiers in what is still the largest manhunt in history. I'm also working on a film with David Oyelowo and developing a film with Laurence Bowen about the Boy Soldiers of Sierra Leone."

McCallum looks forward to the new Star Wars films under the stewardship of Kathleen Kennedy. "There's only person in the world who could do this, and that's Kathleen Kennedy," he says. "There's no one more suited who is able to bridge the worlds of elite filmmaking within a studio context. The Star Wars saga will always be taken care of under her leadership. She is truly one of the greatest producers in America as well as being a great friend."

McCallum leaves behind a history of being extremely accessible to Star Wars fans during production, appearing at Celebration conventions, discussing behind-the-scenes developments with Star Wars Insider magazine, and engaging in online chats. During one such chat in 2005, a fan club member asked if there was any chance he could attend the scoring sessions of Episode III, and McCallum immediately invited him to the recording studio the next day.

"Thank you for being so welcoming, supportive, and so good to me," says McCallum to Star Wars fans everywhere. "You all made it the most worthwhile and amazing experience. I have nothing but the biggest faith and trust that where Kathleen is going to take Star Wars will be a bold, exciting, and daring future that will be worthy of all your incredible passion and loyalty for all these years. It will be awesome."
Last edited by TheButcher on Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:09 am

Attack of the Clones, Revenge of the Sith 3D Theatrical Release Dates Confirmed
Lucasfilm has confirmed the new theatrical release dates for the upcoming 3D versions of the next two films in the Star Wars prequel trilogy. Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones will release, for a limited time only, in U.S. theaters on September 20, 2013, followed shortly by Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith on October 4, 2013.

"This trilogy really builds as it continues," says ILM's Dennis Muren, "and Episodes II and III feature shots of increased complexity and detail that really lend themselves to a deeper, more powerful 3D experience. Also, the action definitely ramps up as the galaxy plunges into war, so there are more opportunities to place the audience in the thick of some truly spectacular sequences."

Attack of the Clones includes thrilling chase scenes on the city-covered planet of Coruscant, intense ground battles on the rocky terrain of Geonosis, and the first-ever lightsaber duel featuring Jedi Master Yoda. Revenge of the Sith ends the prequel trilogy, telling the story of how Anakin Skywalker turns to the dark side to become the ultimate villain, Darth Vader, and takes viewers from lightning-fast dogfights to an epic lightsaber battle on the lava planet Mustafar.

International release dates will be announced soon. Keep checking StarWars.com for more news on the 3D releases of the Star Wars films.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Indiana Jones 3D

Postby TheButcher on Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:34 pm

Friday, December 21, 2012
A3Dventure Is Coming...
Honor Hunter wrote:Yes, I know Blue Sky mentioned this a while ago...

And we got a lot of serious flack from people saying it was just fanboi rumors and masturbatory dreams, but it wasn't and isn't still. See, the only way what I said wasn't true, would be if the Lucasfilm Suit that told it to my Bothan was lying to his face. And this particular Bothan I know very well, and would trust with my life. He's in the know. And the Suit I'm talking about is high up, not an underling. So when Lucasfilm started issuing parsely worded statements, and then outright denial, they're not exactly telling you the truth. You see, it's not a lie, if they haven't actually done it yet. Read between the actual words when you hear their press releases.

The powers-that-be wouldn't want to announce it right now anyway, but that doesn't mean it's not in the planning. The only thing that will stop this from happening is if the box office from the next few Star Wars 3D conversions turn out to be disappointing. Now, Episode I wasn't a box office bonanza, but remember the film isn't exactly beloved by my most fans. As each release comes out we'll be able to get a better reaction to the audiences' warming up to the conversions. I'd think that Sith, Hope, and Empire will get a bigger slice of the box office pie when they come out. Should they not, the guys in Burbank/Marin County might start having doubts, but second thoughts aren't in the cards right now.

If Kathleen Kennedy and her underlings get cold feet then the Raiders conversion may be shelved, but as of a couple weeks ago it was still in the planning. So adventure in the third dimension is up ahead.

It's just not around the corner yet...
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Indiana Jones 3D

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:40 pm

TheButcher wrote:Friday, December 21, 2012
A3Dventure Is Coming...
Honor Hunter wrote:Yes, I know Blue Sky mentioned this a while ago...

And we got a lot of serious flack from people saying it was just fanboi rumors and masturbatory dreams, but it wasn't and isn't still. See, the only way what I said wasn't true, would be if the Lucasfilm Suit that told it to my Bothan was lying to his face. And this particular Bothan I know very well, and would trust with my life. He's in the know. And the Suit I'm talking about is high up, not an underling. So when Lucasfilm started issuing parsely worded statements, and then outright denial, they're not exactly telling you the truth. You see, it's not a lie, if they haven't actually done it yet. Read between the actual words when you hear their press releases.

The powers-that-be wouldn't want to announce it right now anyway, but that doesn't mean it's not in the planning. The only thing that will stop this from happening is if the box office from the next few Star Wars 3D conversions turn out to be disappointing. Now, Episode I wasn't a box office bonanza, but remember the film isn't exactly beloved by my most fans. As each release comes out we'll be able to get a better reaction to the audiences' warming up to the conversions. I'd think that Sith, Hope, and Empire will get a bigger slice of the box office pie when they come out. Should they not, the guys in Burbank/Marin County might start having doubts, but second thoughts aren't in the cards right now.

If Kathleen Kennedy and her underlings get cold feet then the Raiders conversion may be shelved, but as of a couple weeks ago it was still in the planning. So adventure in the third dimension is up ahead.

It's just not around the corner yet...

Hmmm. I'm not much of a purist. As long as they don't change content, I'm good with a 3D re-release of Indy. I'd like to see it on the big screen again (I don't think I ever saw Raiders on the big screen). And the giant boulder rolling at the screen might be cool.

It'll depend on the quality of the conversion, and whether they fill the movie with 3D "gotcha" moments. I hope they'll avoid the temptation to do that.

Otherwise, I'm ok with it...
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby Fievel on Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:08 pm

Alright, I'll say it... OH WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS!?!?!?!?

Zack Snyder Is Developing a Star Wars Film Outside the New Trilogy

Yes, Disney told us there would be non-trilogy films coming. I guess I just didn't expect ol' Zacky Boy to give us the first one. And with this storyline... I'd rather see this in the Old Republic than in between the trilogies.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby TheButcher on Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:30 pm

Zack Snyder Shoots Down Report He's Developing 'Star Wars' Film
The "Man of Steel" filmmaker is not developing a "Seven Samurai"-style "Star Wars" off-shoot, his rep tells THR
Borys Kit wrote:Director Zack Snyder has come forward to deny a report claiming he's journeying to a galaxy far, far away.

New York magazine's Vulture blog reported Monday that Snyder, the director behind 300, Watchmen and the upcoming Man of Steel, was developing a Star Wars movie. According to the site, the feature would not be part of the planned numbered trilogy but would be an off-shoot tonally in the vein of the Japanese classic The Seven Samurai.

But in an exclusive statement to The Hollywood Reporter, Snyder's spokesperson says: "While he is super flattered because he is a huge fan, Zack is not involved in any way with the new Star Wars. He is currently in post on his two films, Man of Steel and 300: Battle of Artemisia.”

That means no Episode VII, VIII or IX, and no offshoot movies, the rep confirms.

The idea of Snyder tackling a Star Wars project isn’t far-fetched. Lucasfilm is currently on the hunt for a filmmaker or two to tackle the final trilogy, which is in the process of being written by Michael Arndt. Directors ranging from J.J. Abrams to Jon Favreau to Matthew Vaughan have surfaced as possible (or dream) contenders.

And as THR previously revealed, the company is developing movies that would expand the Star Wars universe in off-shoot one-shots or trilogies. Lawrence Kasdan, who wrote 1981's Empire Strikes Back, and Simon Kinberg, a veteran of X-Men: First Class, are two writers penning stories that veer off the numbered movies.

Snyder, whose Cruel and Unusual Films is based at Warner Bros., is already busy with his own projects. In active development on his slate is the war drama The Last Photograph.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Fievel on Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:24 pm

Wow.... then where in the left-field did THAT all come from!?!? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Soon we will have those one-off films. Some will be great. Some will be utter shit. And some will just be static fluff.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby TheButcher on Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:55 pm

Fievel wrote:Wow.... then where in the left-field did THAT all come from!?!? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

From VULTURE:

Claude Brodesser-Akner wrote:[UPDATE:
Vulture takes the accuracy of its reports very seriously. And while a piece published in The Hollywood Reporter this evening quotes Snyder's rep as saying that the director "is not involved in any way with the new Star Wars," Vulture stands by its story. This reporter heard through a source very familiar with the situation that Snyder recently flew up to Marin County to meet with Lucasfilm execs about the project. When subsequently reached by Vulture, Snyder's spokesperson would only repeat that he "is" not currently involved. One should note the possible political ramifications here of our original story break: Snyder's last Warner Bros. film, Sucker Punch, lost millions for the studio, and execs there could have become distressed at the idea of him getting involved with another studio's franchise when they have so much at stake with their upcoming Man of Steel and want him available for an immediate sequel.]

From twitter:
Jeff Sneider ‏@TheInSneider
No clue how REAL the Zack Snyder - Star Wars offshoot rumors are but I GUARANTEE he met with Kathy Kennedy to pitch her that Seven Jedi idea

Title: Film Reporter

Email: jeff.sneider@variety.com

Jeff Sneider is a 2006 graduate of New York University's prestigious Tisch School of the Arts, from which he holds a BFA in Dramatic Writing. He started his career in 2003 by writing as 'MiraJeff' on Ain't It Cool News and joined Variety as an intern in August 2006. One month later, he fought director Uwe Boll in a boxing match/publicity stunt that has since become a footnote in pop culture history. After a brief stint at TheWrap, Sneider rejoined Variety as a film reporter in February 2011. He has appeared in Michael Addis' documentary 'Heckler' and his favorite movie is 'Pulp Fiction.' Jeff hails from Needham, Massachusetts and has never eaten a salad.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Fievel on Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:21 am

Butcher I love how you and I, or you and other Zoners, can have an in-depth conversation where you only reply in articles...... and yet it answers my questions completely, adds to the conversation, and often times asks more questions in the process. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby TheButcher on Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:30 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Fried Gold on Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:18 pm

Fievel wrote:Wow.... then where in the left-field did THAT all come from!?!? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

It probably means Zack Snyder's thinking of making a new sci-fi/fantasy version of Seven Samurai, and he's mentioned it to someone using "Star Wars" as a reference, and someone's put 2 and 2 together and made a new Star Wars movie out of nothing.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TheButcher on Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:39 am

The Force Is With J.J. Abrams - Director To Helm First Disney 'Star Wars' Film
Mark Hughes wrote:So, the first question is, will Disney pick a different director for each of the three new films? Or will they expect one filmmaker to exert their vision over the entire trilogy? I had originally stated my feeling that the studio should get a filmmaker like Jackson or Spielberg to oversee the entire trilogy, but after some discussions and debate with other folks (including some Forbes readers who posted comments to me), I became increasingly interested in the prospect of switching directors with each new film.

It’s hard to imagine Abrams would make such a significant leap over to Disney for a single movie, since it will mean pushing back other film projects he had in the pipeline and likely anger Paramount. Does that hint that Abrams will be in not only a directing but also a producing role for the Star Wars franchise, for several films? Perhaps. Or maybe Abrams’ previous denial was due to assumptions that Paramount wouldn’t be happy if he took on Star Wars, but then he found out the studio was willing to negotiate (in part since it obviously isn’t going to hurt Star Trek for Abrams to develop an even larger following and perhaps bring some Star Wars fans over into Star Trek fandom as well) and thus made it simple for him to reverse course and give Disney a thumbs-up.

From EW 11/12/2012:
J.J. Abrams: 'Star Wars' won't be my next enterprise
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Peven on Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:20 am

Abrams has shown he is pretty good with genre material and is able to bring fresh, creative sci-fi/fantasy/genre projects to fruition with more regularity and dependability than any other director/producer today I can think of off the top of my head. if they are going to use a different director for each movie he isn't a bad choice at all to kick things off since I think he will set up a strong reboot the same way he did with ST

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby TheButcher on Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:55 pm

From Deadline:
EXCLUSIVE: No More ‘Star Wars’ 3D Prequel Releases; Lucasfilm Passes To Focus On New Trilogy
NIKKI FINKE wrote:I learned of this decision just now from Lucasfilm‘s promotional partners who are telling me the studio now owned by Disney wants to focus only on “rebooting the franchise” with three new Star Wars films. This surprising decision follows the underwhelming box office performance of Episode I: The Phantom Menace re-released in 3D in February 2012. It debuted to only $23M domestically but maybe even more importantly hardcore fans felt it was yet another craven cash grab by George Lucas. Back in September 2010, Lucasfilm and then-distributor Fox announced that all 6 films in the Star Wars franchise would be converted to 3D. Episode II: Attack Of The Clones (first released on May 16, 2002) was to hit theaters in 3D on September 20th, 2013, while Episode III: Revenge Of The Sith (first released on May 19, 2005) was to play in 3D on October 11, 2013. This news comes just days after Disney confirmed that J.J. Abrams will direct the new Star Wars: Episode VII scheduled to be released in 2015. It’s the first new Star Wars movie since 2005. Michael Arndt is writing the script. Disney bought Lucasfilm in October 2012 for $4 billion, with the Star Wars franchise obviously the jewel in the crown. At the time, Disney CEO Bob Iger said three more Star Wars films were in the pipeline.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

PreviousNext

Return to Movie News