The Future of Star Wars, Indiana Jones & Beyond

All the dirt. All the top secret stuff. Anything that has to do with the process of getting us to sit and watch something projected on the big screen.

The Future of Star Wars, Indiana Jones & Beyond

Postby Eric G on Sun Oct 09, 2005 3:38 am

Rick McCallum and Rob Coleman at Skywalker ranch reveal information on,

Star Wars Animated Series. “The animation is being done right now as we speak," McCallum stated, "[That work] is being done here at the Ranch. A lot of the effects will be done in Singapore.

STAR WARS LIVE ACTION TV SERIES
Plans for the live action series are moving forward with productions based in Sydney, Australia. Unless “"another medium comes along to replace it,” the series will be entirely shot in HD.

STAR WARS MOVIES IN 3D
McCallum was asked how the project was going he was quoted as saying that Star Wars Episode IV – A New Hope was already 20% complete in its transformation to 3D.

ANOTHER VERSION OF STAR WARS: EPISODE I IN THE WORKS?
According to Coleman, changes have already been made in Yoda to replace him with a CGI version, to match the look and feel of the character throughout the new trilogy.

THE PROGRESS OF INDIANA JONES 4
George is doing 'Indiana Jones', the script, which he should finish by Sunday"

WHAT ELSE IS NEXT?
Although George Lucas wasn’t able to be at this event, he was playing host to 15 Tuskegee Airmen, as he fine tunes his producing skills on his upcoming documentary titled, “Red Tails”,

Click the link below for the entire article.

http://www.fi-sci.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=364&Itemid=44
Eric G
AIRWOLF

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Sun Oct 09, 2005 8:03 am

All of these sound crap.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby WinslowLeach on Sun Oct 09, 2005 9:23 am

Star Wars: The Assclown Saga is next, then we're doing Star Wars Ep III: The Board Game, then we're doing Star Wars: Yucky Yoda toy where Yoda craps out strange green fecal matter...then...
WinslowLeach
AIRWOLF PLUS

Re: The Future of Star Wars, Indiana Jones & Beyond

Postby ZombieZoneSolutions on Sun Oct 09, 2005 11:48 am

Eric G wrote:Rick McCallum and Rob Coleman at Skywalker ranch THE PROGRESS OF INDIANA JONES 4

What Rick failed to mention is that GL started writing the script on Saturday afternoon while deep in the depths of a robitussin binge. Then, around 3:30 on Saturday, he got tired of writing, and had one of his kids finish it up (thereby freeing up time for GL to catch up on his "art films" aka "dreams he has while napping"). This is the same "writing process" he used to script The Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones.
ZombieZoneSolutions
AIRWOLF

Postby doglips on Sun Oct 09, 2005 1:45 pm

LOL Zombie, quite correct I think............

I'd like to see Lucas commission Dark Horse to produce a trilogy of comic stories ( six issues each ) giving the prequel trilogy an 'elseworlds' slant, you know, another take on Anakin the early years.........
Each six issue run would take some core themes as given ( Trade federation, Palpatines rise to power ) and have to take on board some of the characters set out by Lucas ( so keep Jar Jar but make him a bounty hunter or something).......
Imagine if The Phantom Menace started off with Anakin as a teenager, the love child of a forbidden jedi romance ( mother and father both jedis ) with this accounting for a huge split in his personality between the good and the dark side of the force, something he battles with daily ( his mother and he live in self imposed exile, his father is missing in action ready to return as the story required, to really fuck with his mind and set up the turn to the darkside.).........Padme would still be a senator from Naboo, but a jedi senator, thus setting up a parallel romance with Anakin, which in turn would add too the stress heaped on Anakin as he learns of the pregnancy and fears for the child's fate of a tortured existence fighting the balance of the force.....or something like that....would be cool ?? Anyone agree??
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Sun Oct 09, 2005 2:00 pm

Well, the whole idead was that Anakin would be a child of the Force, and have that mystique to it. I too would wish Anakin to sart off as a teenager, but even though you had to endure him as a kid in TPM, I do agree with George that he wished to show that him as a kid was a sweet natured nice boy (sounds a bit pervy that huh?). That's a dfficult one, as I still didn't like him so young, despite Lucas' point. Maybe it was Jake Lloyd's fault.

Got to get a balance on this, satisfy all parts of that portrayal.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby doglips on Sun Oct 09, 2005 2:10 pm

Yeah, good point Kirk..........The transformation from sweet natured boy to evil planet destroying Sith is a good idea base, I get what Lucas was trying to portray............But Anakin would still be a child of the force in my thread ( from the Mother /Father jedi aspect )...........And the early struggle between Good and Bad escalating to the Darth transformation would only add weight to his eventual redemption in Jedi.................And the 'elseworlds' comics really fuck around with some storylines....which was the whole point of the idea, I respect what has gone before, it would be nice to see another take, no?............
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby RogueScribner on Tue Oct 11, 2005 11:38 pm

Eric G wrote:Rick McCallum and Rob Coleman at Skywalker ranch reveal information on,

Star Wars Animated Series. “The animation is being done right now as we speak," McCallum stated, "[That work] is being done here at the Ranch. A lot of the effects will be done in Singapore.

Is this akin to the Clone Wars series, or is it going to be a different style of animation, I wonder? Either way, as long as it's not another Droids or Ewoks it should be okay.

STAR WARS LIVE ACTION TV SERIES
Plans for the live action series are moving forward with productions based in Sydney, Australia. Unless “"another medium comes along to replace it,” the series will be entirely shot in HD.

I wonder what the pitch is for this series? I hope it's nothing Boba Fett or Skywalker related. They could mine the time period between episodes III and IV for all it's worth, though. The last of the Jedi hunted down. The rise of the rebellion. If they approach it right, it could be really good.

STAR WARS MOVIES IN 3D
McCallum was asked how the project was going he was quoted as saying that Star Wars Episode IV – A New Hope was already 20% complete in its transformation to 3D.

ANOTHER VERSION OF STAR WARS: EPISODE I IN THE WORKS?
According to Coleman, changes have already been made in Yoda to replace him with a CGI version, to match the look and feel of the character throughout the new trilogy.

I heard about these 3D movies at CIII. I'll check them out, or at least ANH, but it seems more like a gimmick to make more money than anything else.

I do like the Yoda replacement in TPM, however. That Yoda sucked balls.

THE PROGRESS OF INDIANA JONES 4

This movie will never be made. Ever.
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby Eric G on Wed Oct 12, 2005 12:02 am

Is this akin to the Clone Wars series, or is it going to be a different style of animation, I wonder? Either way, as long as it's not another Droids or Ewoks it should be okay.

McCallum is talking about the Clone Wars cartoon series yes.....

I wonder what the pitch is for this series? I hope it's nothing Boba Fett or Skywalker related. They could mine the time period between episodes III and IV for all it's worth, though. The last of the Jedi hunted down. The rise of the rebellion. If they approach it right, it could be really good.

Lucas has stated that he would like to go in that direction, however we may also see Grand Moff Tarkin as the lead villian.......still only rumours though.

I heard about these 3D movies at CIII. I'll check them out, or at least ANH, but it seems more like a gimmick to make more money than anything else.

I do like the Yoda replacement in TPM, however. That Yoda sucked balls.

Replacing Yoda is the greatest thing I have heard about Episode I since it came out. I almost upchucked in the cinema when I seen The Yode for the first time.

You gotta admit though....Star Wars 3D is a kick ass idea..... could you imagine watching Vader and Skywalker's lightsabre duel in ROTJ as if they were in the room with you??? Personally, i cant wait
Eric G
AIRWOLF

Postby TheButcher on Tue Mar 14, 2006 1:02 pm

Indy IV might start in October or November.
Source:
Latino Review
http://latinoreview.com/news.php?id=404
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Shane on Tue Mar 14, 2006 1:39 pm

The Live action series has the most potential than the rest, but I think they are beating a dead horse.
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby HollywoodBabylon on Tue Mar 14, 2006 2:19 pm

Shane wrote:The Live action series has the most potential than the rest, but I think they are beating a dead horse.

But don't you know Georgy Porgy still needs to keep those dollars rolling in............
HollywoodBabylon
AIRWOLF

Postby Shane on Tue Mar 14, 2006 2:21 pm

HollywoodBabylon wrote:
Shane wrote:The Live action series has the most potential than the rest, but I think they are beating a dead horse.

But don't you know Georgy Porgy still needs to keep those dollars rolling in............

He's richer than God. no he doesn't need to, he's greedy and wants to.

And as always, as long as it brings in the buck they will doit.
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby monorail77 on Tue Mar 14, 2006 4:18 pm

Not a chance. People are going to eat this up. It'll be huge, mark my words. Then, after the hype wears down (about 2 months), people will realize its not that good, and it will die. (Unless of course it actually is good - here's hoping!)
monorail77
AIRWOLF

Postby Tubbs Tattsyrup on Wed Mar 15, 2006 5:27 am

They have a plan for 100 episodes...if they serialise it, it could be fucking AMAZING. I don't think a lot of isolated 1-hour episodes in the SW universe would be as good as a really truly epic storyline a la the last couple seasons of DS9. Though, to be fair, it would be awesome to see those characters and places that were only hinted at in the movies come to life - so stick some one-offs in there too, and whammo, instant success. I just hope it's not some kind of "let's see what bounty Boba has to hunt THIS week!" formulaic shit. I want real story. Real characters. Real action. In this longer format, with someone other than Lucas writing/directing it (Lucas can do story though I guess), they have a real opportunity.
On YouTube or Vimeo.
Tubbs Tattsyrup
GRANDO CARLISSIAN

Postby Fievel on Wed Mar 15, 2006 5:58 am

Maybe they could do it like the Clone Wars cartoons and have it be that when watched on DVD it would look like one long story (I love that about those DVDs). With the next-gen DVD formats this would be a bit easier I'd imagine. But if they did it like that, when it went on sale, Lucas could grab his nutz and say to the world "There's your 3 more movies right there, pal..... and then some! Episodes Three Point Seven Eight and Nine.... Return of Deez Nutz!". It'd be even more effective if the show rocks. But seriously, in the end who WOULDN'T want to see him grab his nutz for that specific occasion?
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby banthafodderUK on Wed Mar 15, 2006 6:16 am

I agree - Lots of avenues to go down - bounty hunters, smugglers, the odd jedi who escaped the purge, imperial troops who defect, etc

Just hope they do it well and it doesnt turn into a load of shite like babylon 5 or stargate etc (no offence if you like those shows).
wii code 0186 4330 3469 8398 use it mofo's!
banthafodderUK
AIRWOLF

Postby TheButcher on Wed Mar 15, 2006 8:58 am

The following is from the TIME Magazine interview with GL.
http://www.time.com/time/arts/article/0,8599,1173216,00.html

G.L.
Now the television show I’m working on, the Star Wars television show, is 3D.

R.C.When you said you were going to do Star Wars in 3D, do you mean in the old-fashioned 3D?

G.L.
Yeah, with glasses and everything.

I hate 3d! As long as the show isn't like those shitty Ewok movies it might be cool.
I don't belive Indy IV wil ever happen!
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:53 pm

From /film and io9:

From the LA Times: Will 'Force Unleashed' be the next 'Star Wars' film?
Haden Blackman, the project leader on "The Force Unleashed" video game, has a daydream: He strolls into the movie theater, buys some popcorn and then sits down and watches his game's tale of Darth Vader and his secret apprentice flicker
to life as cinema.

"Oh, that would be incredible," said Blackman. "And it's not impossible. Never say never. George [Lucas] has looked to tell new 'Star Wars' stories through the games and with the entire Star Wars Expanded Universe, and then he has also shown a willingness to let the characters come into the films. Look at Aayla Secura, a creation in the [Dark Horse] comic books who became part of the theatrical films."

If the "The Force Unleashed" does become a movie, Blackman said it would be a testament to the priorities and sophisticated ideas of his team, who he says puts storytelling and game-play on equal footing and emphasized "the artistic nature" of the quickly changing video-game medium. "It's an incredible time," he said, "to be telling powerful stories in this fairly young medium."
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Fievel on Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:27 pm

I haven't played the game but I read the comic based on it.
Fantastic story. Better than 70% of the prequels.

IF they do it, it should be 100% ILM like the prequels were... but for every character so that it's almost photorealistic.
I wonder how long that would take to put together.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Star Wars 3-D

Postby TheButcher on Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:39 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: The Future of Lucasfilm

Postby TheButcher on Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:44 am

Fried Gold wrote:It's what you've always dreamed of:

http://www.heatvisionblog.com/2010/01/g ... unroe.html

...a CGI musical from the makers of Attack of the Clones.

Borys Kit wrote:Kevin Munroe is directing the CGI film, which is expected to feature music from a variety of sources. Munroe hails from the animated world and made his directorial debut in 2007 with the fourth Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movie, “TMNT.” He recently wrapped production on his live-action debut, the adaptation of the “Dead of Night” comic that stars Brandon Routh and Taye Diggs.

David Berenbaum, who wrote the Will Ferrell comedy “Elf” and children’s fantasy “The Spiderwick Chronicles,” penned the screenplay. Plot details are locked tighter than the plans for the Death Star, but one element known is that the script features fairies.

It is not known whether Berenbaum is working from a story by Lucas, who tends to originate much of Lucasfilm’s intellectual property.

A Lucasfilm spokesperson said it was too early to comment on the details of the project.

This could be cool. It sounds like Lucasfilm's version of Fantasia.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:02 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:03 pm

From Variety:
Lucasfilm eyes animated 'Star Wars' TV comedy - 'Daily Show' scribe, 'Robot Chicken' duo behind series
DAVID S. COHEN wrote:Lucasfilm Animation is developing a new animated "Star Wars" TV comedy series.

Daytime Emmy and Gemini Award-winner Jennifer Hill ("The Backyardians") will produce with Todd Grimes ("Back at the Barnyard") directing. Brendan Hay ("The Daily Show") will be among the writers and Seth Green and Matthew Senreich, creators and executive producers of "Robot Chicken," will have "creative involvement.

Project marks the second "Star Wars" skein created by Lucasfilm Animation. The first was "Star Wars: The Clone Wars," which premiered in 2008 on the Cartoon Network. Series is currently in its second season.

No start date or network for the comedy skein have been announced.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:06 pm

From THR:
Lucasfilm plans animated 'Star Wars' series - Teams with 'Robot Chicken's' Seth Green, Matthew Senreich

Nellie Andreeva wrote:After two hit "Robot Chicken" parodies of "Star Wars," "Chicken" masterminds Seth Green and Matthew Senreich get to do the real thing.

Lucasfilm Animation on Monday announced it is developing a new animated "Star Wars" series that will take a comedic and irreverent look at the characters from the sci-fi franchise and feature creative involvement from Green and Senreich as well as writing from Brendan Hay ("The Daily Show").

Jennifer Hill ("The Backyardigans") will produce, with Todd Grimes ("Back at the Barnyard") on board to direct.

"The 'Star Wars' universe is so dense and rich; it's crazy to think that there aren't normal, mundane everyday problems in a world so well-defined," Green said. "What do these characters do when they're not overthrowing empires?"

Added Senreich, "We're going to pull back the curtain of some of those behind-the-scenes shenanigans."

There is no network announced for the new series, but given Lucasfilm Animation and Green and Senreich's close ties with Cartoon Network, a deal with Cartoon or its Adult Swim programming block appears likely.

The new comedic "Star Wars" series follows Lucasfilm Animation's series "Star Wars: The Clone Wars," which airs on Cartoon Network.

Meanwhile, "Chicken," buoyed by its popular "Star Wars: Episode 1 and 2" specials, is the flagship series on Adult Swim.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:27 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:35 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Jabbadonut on Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:04 pm

As much as I love Star Wars, I think Lucas should move on, or put the franchise to rest permanently.
It has pretty much jumped the shark as far as I'm concerned. It was great in its day, but that day has passed.
Look! Even Steve is throwing chocolate snowballs . . . oh . . .
Jabbadonut
REAL DRAGON

Postby SilentBobX on Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:09 pm

I think I would be quite fulfilled if neither Star Wars nor Indiana Jones had a future. Let us have a new future, a brighter future, a future of infinite possibilities that involve neither of these once good but now obsolete franchises.

Mahalo

Mahalo
SilentBobX
AIRWOLF

Postby so sorry on Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:15 pm

This can't possibly come as a surprise to anyone. There are dozens of post-ROTJ novels in the world for them to mine (and they are all Lucas-sanctioned too).

Makes perfect sense to me. Not to say that I'll watch it, as I haven't watched any of the animated series...
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby TheButcher on Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:59 pm

so sorry wrote:

This can't possibly come as a surprise to anyone. There are dozens of post-ROTJ novels in the world for them to mine (and they are all Lucas-sanctioned too).

Makes perfect sense to me. Not to say that I'll watch it, as I haven't watched any of the animated series...

Wait, you never watched the Droids or Ewok shows? That's just crazy!
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby The Vicar on Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:34 pm

TheButcher wrote:Wait, you never watched the Droids or Ewok shows? That's just crazy!

OMG!!!
Why are you listening to this guy....????
Persecute the unbeliever!!!!!

please dont ban me master
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby Fievel on Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:34 pm

The post-ROTJ thing is rumored to be the new comedy animated thing.
And I just threw up in my mouth as I typed that.

My initial thought after reading just the headline was that I'd rather see something in the Old Republic era where there is nothing to build expectations off of. But then I thought that would make a better live action film for the future. But then I realized that anything dealing with the Old Republic would have the KOTOR games to compare to and the first KOTOR game was better than 70% of the prequels.
Sigh.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:25 pm

Fievel wrote: But then I realized that anything dealing with the Old Republic would have the KOTOR games to compare to and the first KOTOR game was better than 70% of the prequels.

Fact.
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby TheButcher on Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:13 pm

From Blue Sky Disney Tuesday, December 23, 2008:
Animated Jones And The Quest For Dini...
Honor Hunter wrote:This isn't a rumor, it's a dream...

I grew up on Batman, I as a teen I was in love and amazed by Batman: The Animated Series" and Paul Dini and Bruce Timm are some of the most under appreciated talents in Hollywood if you ask me. My friends and I have had long discussions about what should become of Batman once Nolan no longer helms the features(perish the thought!). My idea has to go with a live action take with Dini and Timm that stays dark but doesn't stick to the reality based version starring Christian Bale. I believe any film like that will be compared, unfairly or not, to the current films and will always be a disappointment. So go the opposite way I say...

Anyway, if you remember my post "What Becomes Of Junior," you'll remember I said that they should do an animated series with the famous Archaeologist based on the Republic Serials/Max Fleischer style. Well, it appears I'm not the only one who feels that way. It's also an idea of Dini's and he happens to be working for Lucas right now on Clone Wars. He did an interview with The Force.Net and says as much in the latter part of the interview. My hope is that since he's much closer to Mr. Yoda than me he'll bend his ear and get this project going. It sounds like something out of my most personal, wildest fantasies. Kind of like what "Raiders" was for me. Please George, if you're listening... DO THIS. DO this! For the sake of the fans...

Please.

Hat Tip to The Raider.Net.

* The artwork used here is by Patrick Schoenmaker, I believe. *
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:54 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:32 pm

From 24 Frames:
'Star Wars' and 'Titanic' 3-D: How much is too much?
Steven Zeitchik wrote:"Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace" will be released sometime in the first four months of the 2012 with as little as four or five weeks separating it and the revamped DiCaprio-fest, according to those familiar with plans for "Star Wars" who asked not to be named because they had not been authorized to speak on Lucas' behalf.

Some of the reports about "Star Wars" in 3-D left the impression that Lucas and his Industrial Light and Magic were committing to six films in the new dimension. But the sources with knowledge of the plans said the 3-D conversion would happen one film at a time, not all at once, which means that in effect there's no hard commitment beyond "Phantom Menace." If that film's release doesn't hit box-office thresholds, Lucas could theoretically defer or scrap his plans.

It's understandable why he might: The conversion process won't be cheap, and unlike Cameron, Lucas is footing the bill himself. At 796 minutes of running time, the entire six films will cost about $80 million to convert even at the conservative estimate of $100,000 per minute. Chump change for Lucas, perhaps, but still not a bargain.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Fievel on Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:48 pm

I would guess that Lucas & Co. will change all 6 movies into 3D regardless of the box office returns. With the 3D televisions just starting to hit the market now, by the time Return of the Jedi (supposedly) comes out in 2017, there will be a bigger demand for them to be released for purchase.

But if there really is a chance that they'll base the future films off of the first film's returns.... then it makes even LESS sense to release them in numerical order. The Phantom Menace is considered the shittiest Star Wars film by just about anyone raised on the Original Trilogy. Had they started with A New Hope, then they would likely strike gold with all of the original fans wanting to check out the "real" Star Wars in 3D.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby RogueScribner on Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:42 am

Fievel wrote:But then I realized that anything dealing with the Old Republic would have the KOTOR games to compare to and the first KOTOR game was better than 70% of the prequels.
Sigh.

Tru dat.
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby RogueScribner on Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:44 am

Fievel wrote:But if there really is a chance that they'll base the future films off of the first film's returns.... then it makes even LESS sense to release them in numerical order. The Phantom Menace is considered the shittiest Star Wars film by just about anyone raised on the Original Trilogy. Had they started with A New Hope, then they would likely strike gold with all of the original fans wanting to check out the "real" Star Wars in 3D.

Tru dat x 2.
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby Fried Gold on Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:59 am

TheButcher wrote:From 24 Frames:
'Star Wars' and 'Titanic' 3-D: How much is too much?
Steven Zeitchik wrote:"Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace" will be released sometime in the first four months of the 2012 with as little as four or five weeks separating it and the revamped DiCaprio-fest, according to those familiar with plans for "Star Wars" who asked not to be named because they had not been authorized to speak on Lucas' behalf.

Some of the reports about "Star Wars" in 3-D left the impression that Lucas and his Industrial Light and Magic were committing to six films in the new dimension. But the sources with knowledge of the plans said the 3-D conversion would happen one film at a time, not all at once, which means that in effect there's no hard commitment beyond "Phantom Menace." If that film's release doesn't hit box-office thresholds, Lucas could theoretically defer or scrap his plans.

It's understandable why he might: The conversion process won't be cheap, and unlike Cameron, Lucas is footing the bill himself. At 796 minutes of running time, the entire six films will cost about $80 million to convert even at the conservative estimate of $100,000 per minute. Chump change for Lucas, perhaps, but still not a bargain.

That report is somewhat behind, as Lucasfilm have already said when they plan to release it. And guys like John Knoll have spoken about it some detail this past week.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TheButcher on Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:55 pm

From Bleeding Cool:
Looks Like George Lucas’ Animated Musical About Fairies Is About To Get Going In Singapore

From Variety:
Lucasfilm to build Singapore facility - New building scheduled to open late 2012 or early 2013
DAVID S. COHEN wrote:Lucasfilm will build a new facility in Singapore to house its burgeoning digital production businesses there.

The Singapore branches of LucasAnimation, LucasArts Games and Industrial Light & Magic will all be housed in the new facility.

Together those operations already have a staff of 400 in Lucasfilm's existing office in the Signature Building in Changi Business Park. Staff at those offices is increasing rapidly and Lucasfilm is outgrowing the space.

New building in the Fusionopolis area of One North will comprise eight floors of office space and be roughly 409,000 sq. ft., with 242,000 sq. ft of gross floor area.

Lucasfilm has 1700 employees at its headquarters in San Francisco's Presidio.

The new building, which looks like something from the Star Wars universe, will be built above a public garden. Groundbreaking will be early 2011 with completion skedded for late 2012 or early 2013.

Colum Slevin, vice president/head of studio operations Lucasfilm Animation oversees ILM Singapore from San Francisco. Xavier Nicolas runs the facility locally.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Fievel on Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:38 pm

Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Re: Indiana Jones in 3D

Postby TheButcher on Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:58 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Indiana Jones in 3D

Postby Fievel on Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:56 pm

You know... I can see some scenes really working (the giant boulder in Raiders... the fight on the rope bridge in ToD.... Sean Connery's umbrella of death in Last Crusade).... but as a whole, it seems a waste of money and work to me. What's next? Mr. Mom? Kramer vs. Kramer? Mask?
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby TheBaxter on Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:46 am

i hear they're going to start taking some of those 80s 3D movies, like Jaws 3D and Friday the 13th 3D and Metalstorm: The Destruction of Jared-Syn 3D, and apply the 3D conversion process to them, creating 9D movies. there's only a tiny chance that this will rip a hole in the fabric of space-time and we'll all get sucked into a parallel dimension, but i think you'll all agree that it's worth the risk.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby TheButcher on Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:41 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:30 pm

3D 'Star Wars: Phantom Menace' Coming February 10, 2012
SAN FRANCISCO, Calif. (March 3, 2011) – Lucasfilm Ltd. and Twentieth Century Fox announced today that the 3D theatrical launch of Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace now has an official release date – February 10, 2012! Set against the thrilling and exotic backdrop of a “galaxy far, far away,” Star Wars is perfectly suited to the immersive 3D theatrical experience, and Episode I delivers some of the Saga’s most stunning and spectacular sequences – from the Naboo invasion to the Tatooine Podraces to the climactic lightsaber battle between Darth Maul and the Jedi. Supervised by Industrial Light & Magic, the meticulous conversion is being done with utmost respect for the source material, and with a keen eye for both technological considerations and artistic intentions.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:46 pm

'Star Wars 3D' -- and every other 3-D movie on the planet -- coming within the next year
Fox today announced that the first installment in its "Star Wars 3D" re-release series is indeed coming in 2012 -- and rather early in the year, in fact.

A converted version of George Lucas' "Star Wars: Episode 1 The Phantom Menace" will come out in just about 11 months, on Feb. 10. Interestingly, the Natalie Portman-Ewan McGregor space opera will open against another film that could appeal to the same adventure-oriented audience, Ryan Reynolds' and Denzel Washington's "Safe House."

There are still few details on what the new release will contain (Lucas, incidentally, hopes to open a converted "Star Wars" film each year), although given all the DVD extras we've seen for the franchise over the years, we could probably expect some additions here that go beyond a new axis.

The early-year release of "Phantom Menace" should give it plenty of room before that other 1990s tentpole comes back in 3-D, James Cameron's "Titanic." (That movie isn't expected to come out until April 2012.)

Of course, that doesn't mean there won't be some 3-D overload before we even get to February.

A quick look at the release calendar shows a whopping 15 3-D releases already dated for the August-December period alone, movies as different as "Conan the Barbarian," "Fright Night" and "Adventures of Tintin." In fact, between now and Thanksgiving, no more than two weeks will go by without a new 3-D movie opening. Come February, the question may be whether viewers will want to see not only more "Star Wars" but more 3-D.

--Steven Zeitchik
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Star Wars 3D

Postby TheButcher on Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:59 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Next

Return to Movie News