The Future of Star Wars, Indiana Jones & Beyond

All the dirt. All the top secret stuff. Anything that has to do with the process of getting us to sit and watch something projected on the big screen.

Re: The Future of Star Wars, Indiana Jones & Beyond

Postby Peven on Thu May 08, 2014 9:34 am

if people think that Lucas wrung every penny he could out of the SW franchise they haven't seen Disney operate, they are the Gods of Commercialization

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby minstrel on Thu May 08, 2014 2:59 pm

so sorry wrote:
Fievel wrote:Disney Confirms There Are Three Star Wars Spin-Off Films In The Works

CEO Bob Iger spoke during the Walt Disney Company quarterly earning stockholders call today, and a reporter from Variety says that the executive revealed that the studios actually have three "spin-offs" in the works. The plan is to have each of these movies come our in the years when we don't see a new episode of the main saga. Because Star Wars: Episode VII is coming out in December 2015, that means that the first "other" movie is being planned for 2016. Provided all goes according to plan, we would presumably then see Star Wars: Episode VIII in 2017, the second "other" movie in 2018, Star Wars: Episode IX in 2019, and the third "other" movie in 2020.

That's a lot of fucking Star Wars.

Too much...

Agreed. Star Wars is pretty limited, conceptually. Too many light-sabers, not enough of anything else.
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby TheBaxter on Thu May 08, 2014 3:35 pm

i have mixed feelings. part of me is excited about the idea of seeing different directors and writers take on that universe, telling different kinds of stories, things that wouldn't fit into the BIG films,featuring new characters we haven't seen before. if i thought these films would focus on new characters and maybe smaller, more self-contained stories, i'd be behind it.

but we all know that's not what's gonna happen. we're gonna get a boba fett film. and a yoda film. and maybe a chewbacca film. and they'll be chock full of cameos by other characters we recognize from previous films, and the references and callbacks to the other films will by flying by in every scene, someone will get a hand chopped off, and someone is gonna say "i have a bad feeling about this" at some point in every single one of these films, and it's just going to be the same old thing over and over. and despite these being "stand alone" films you know they're going to sprinkle in easter eggs and plot points referring back to the main trilogy, kind of like how every marvel film ties back into the avengers in some way.

and that's not a prospect that interests or excites me.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby so sorry on Thu May 08, 2014 5:04 pm

TheBaxter wrote:i have mixed feelings. part of me is excited about the idea of seeing different directors and writers take on that universe, telling different kinds of stories, things that wouldn't fit into the BIG films,featuring new characters we haven't seen before. if i thought these films would focus on new characters and maybe smaller, more self-contained stories, i'd be behind it.

but we all know that's not what's gonna happen. we're gonna get a boba fett film. and a yoda film. and maybe a chewbacca film. and they'll be chock full of cameos by other characters we recognize from previous films, and the references and callbacks to the other films will by flying by in every scene, someone will get a hand chopped off, and someone is gonna say "i have a bad feeling about this" at some point in every single one of these films, and it's just going to be the same old thing over and over. and despite these being "stand alone" films you know they're going to sprinkle in easter eggs and plot points referring back to the main trilogy, kind of like how every marvel film ties back into the avengers in some way.

and that's not a prospect that interests or excites me.

And then in between the yearly films will be the CGI miniseries on TV that focuses on what happening between the films!
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Peven on Thu May 08, 2014 7:56 pm

what true science fiction fan wouldn't love to see what a guy like Blonkamp would do if allowed to play in the Star Wars sandbox? i bet a Peter Jackson SW movie would be a blast, too. we'll see, lets hope the monetary success the Marvel movies have had by being good movies first and comic movies second will inspire Disney to spend a little extra on the front end on quality genre directors to get a better, more profitable product in the end.

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Spandau Belly on Thu May 08, 2014 8:57 pm

If done right, I would have way more interest in spinoffs than more saga movies. I guess I just can't imagine seeing RETURN OF THE JEDI and thinking that these characters' greatest adventures still lay before them. The story felt complete. I never for one second wondered what Luke, Han, and Leia did the next day. I mean, they toppled a fascist empire who had a lazer the size of a planet that could destroy other planets, how the fuck do you top that? As I've said before, I feel any plot they could come up with for the new saga entries will just feel like a contrived rehash of a story that reached its logical conclusion thirty something years ago.

But the spinoffs could be fun pulpy one-offs if they kept them small-scale. I like stories about bounty hunters, so if they just did a Boba Fett movie like a fun pulpy Donald Westlake story, I would be into watching Fett track some motherfucker down. If they did a movie about the Jedi knights and made it like a knights of the round table type thing, I would enjoy that. I would enjoy a simple cowboy movie in space.

I tend to feel Baxter's doubts are substantiated by trends in current movies. Blockbuster movies these days seem to feel a need to tell a "bigger" story, a story even bigger than one movie. Modern audiences seem to feel underwhelmed if a story isn't stretched out over ten movies and doesn't involve galactic stakes and overpowered protagonists. I'm just not like that.

We'll see how they shape up. But I won't get my hopes up.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby Al Shut on Fri May 09, 2014 5:11 am

Spandau Belly wrote:But the spinoffs could be fun pulpy one-offs if they kept them small-scale. I like stories about bounty hunters, so if they just did a Boba Fett movie like a fun pulpy Donald Westlake story, I would be into watching Fett track some motherfucker down. If they did a movie about the Jedi knights and made it like a knights of the round table type thing, I would enjoy that. I would enjoy a simple cowboy movie in space.

Works pretty well on several Clone Wars episodes
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby TheButcher on Thu May 22, 2014 7:13 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Thu May 22, 2014 7:17 pm

Bleeding Cool:
Official: Godzilla’s Gareth Edwards And After Earth’s Gary Whitta Creating First Star Wars Spin-Off Movie
Here’s the full press release from Lucasfilm.

Gareth Edwards and Gary Whitta Onboard for Star Wars Stand-Alone Film
May 22, 2014

In addition to the episodes of a new Star Wars trilogy, Lucasfilm and Disney have begun development on multiple stand-alone movies that will offer new stories beyond the core Saga. Gareth Edwards will direct the first stand-alone film, with a screenplay by Gary Whitta. The film is due out December 16, 2016.

Gareth Edwards blazed into the filmmaking forefront with his acclaimed work on Monsters, a film he wrote, directed and served on as cinematographer and visual effects artist. The skill and vision readily apparent in Monsters earned him the high-profile spot directing this year’s smash hit Godzilla.

“Ever since I saw Star Wars I knew exactly what I wanted to do for the rest of my life – join the Rebel Alliance! I could not be more excited & honored to go on this mission with Lucasfilm, said Edwards.

Gary Whittas screenwriting credits include 2010s The Book of Eli starring Denzel Washington. He is also well known as a journalist and editor in the video game industry, as well as part of the BAFTA award-winning team on Telltale Games adaptation of The Walking Dead.

Whitta states, “From the moment I first saw the original movie as a wide-eyed kid, Star Wars has been the single most profound inspiration to my imagination and to my career as a writer. It is deeply special to me,so to be given the opportunity to contribute to its ongoing legacy, especially in collaboration with a film-maker as talented as Gareth,is literally a dream come true. I’m still pinching myself.”
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Thu May 22, 2014 7:32 pm

THR:
'Star Wars' Spinoff Hires 'Godzilla' Director Gareth Edwards (Exclusive)
Gary Whitta is writing the script for the movie, which is set for release on Dec. 16, 2016.
Borys Kit wrote:Fresh off the success of Godzilla, filmmaker Gareth Edwards has lined up his next project, something set in a galaxy far, far away.

Edwards is attached to direct one of the Star Wars spinoff films, The Hollywood Reporter has learned.

Gary Whitta (Book of Eli) is writing the script for the movie, which has a release date set for December 16, 2016, said Disney and Lucasfilm in a statement later posted on the official Star Wars website.

Due to the high level of secrecy surrounding the Star Wars development process, it is unclear which spinoff Edwards will tackle.

Speculation has focused on characters such as bounty hunter Boba Fett and Jedi master Yoda as those who might be getting their own movies. There are also rumors of a potential Han Solo origin story or at least something on the Solo clan, and untold adventures of Luke Skywalker.

"Ever since I saw Star Wars I knew exactly what I wanted to do for the rest of my life - join the Rebel Alliance! I could not be more excited & honored to go on this mission with Lucasfilm," said Edwards in a statement release after THR broke the news.

Earlier in May, Disney CEO Bob Iger stated that there was a plan to make at least three spinoff movies that would be released in between the main installments.

It has been reported that Lawrence Kasdan and Simon Kinberg are writing and producing the spinoffs.

The Star Wars project marks an amazing career trajectory for Edwards, who went from making a small creature feature for $500,000, 2010’s Monsters, to getting the assignment to take on Godzilla, a monster in need of a 21st century rehabilitation.

The mission was a success, with the Legendary/Warner Bros. movie overperforming when it opened last weekend, grossing $93.1 million. The movie also received strong critical reviews and plenty of fanboy love.

"Gareth's filmmaking talent makes him one of his generation's most creative and visionary directors,” said Legendary Entertainment’s chairman and CEO Thomas Tull in a statement in response to the Star Wars hire. "The plan has always been for Gareth to direct a different film before we started on another Godzilla, but who knew it would a Star Wars installment? We have a great plan in store for Godzilla fans and I am looking forward to seeing Gareth’s imprint on the Star Wars universe."

WME-repped Edwards is attached to direct Godzilla 2 and 3, but while story ideas exist, the Godzilla 2 project is still in early development and does not even have a script.

That frees up Edwards to be part of what is not only one of the biggest franchises in history, but also a project that is a dream for so many filmmakers who grew up loving and being inspired by the storied George Lucas universe.

Star Wars: Episode VII, with J.J. Abrams directing, just began production in Abu Dhabi. The film is set to hit theaters on Dec. 18, 2015.

Disney and Lucasfilm had no comment.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Gary Whitta vs Star Wars

Postby TheButcher on Sat May 24, 2014 5:37 pm

bleedingcool:
Spin-Off Writer Gary Whitta Loves Star Wars So Much He’s Not Putting Up With The Prequels Or Special Editions

Linda Ge wrote:To be fair, his complaints certainly aren’t unpopular opinions around this fandom.
The newest member of the Star Wars family is clearly a huge fan of the original trilogy and appears to have little patience for things that don’t live up to his high expectations of everything to do with this franchise. Posted on the message boards of gaming website NeoGaf, there are some not-so-flattering words from new spinoff writer Gary Whitta on some of the franchise’s past decisions.

In 2008, Whitta didn’t mince words when it came to the prequel trilogy, saying in response to a fellow poster:

Guess what, those movies fucking sucked too.

In 2011, it was the Special Edition Blu Rays that caught his ire:

OG editions of Episodes IV, V and VI ACQUIRED! Ripping them to AppleTV this afternoon, then I plan to watch the trilogy the way I remember it! Fuck Lucas and his vandalized Blu-rays. He’s turned us all into scavengers, scraping around in the trash cans of the internet for our childhoods.
Last edited by TheButcher on Sat May 24, 2014 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Gary Whitta vs Star Wars

Postby TheButcher on Sat May 24, 2014 5:43 pm

‘Star Wars’ Spin Off Writer Gary Whitta Goes On Hilarious Rant About Disney’s Jedi Training Academy
Germain Lussier wrote:Long before Disney bought Star Wars or Gary Whitta was writing a Star Wars movie, the two things came together in a very odd way. On YouTube, there’s a clip of Whitta, who wrote The Book of Eli and After Earth, on the Tested.com “this is only a test” Podcast back in 2011 geeking out about Star Wars. He talks about how he would love to do Disney’s Jedi Training Academy (above), but gets mad that it’s only for kids. It’s a super funny clip and extremely timely considering Thursdays massive news regarding he and Gareth Edwards making a Star Wars stand alone movie.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:24 pm

Josh Trank has been hired to direct another Star Wars spin-off film. Not much of a track record for this guy, I liked Chronicle, so that gives me some hope. Chronicle was about powerful, young people, at least one of whom had significant emotional problems. Boba Fett prequel? I actually am not that interested in watching that, but it seems like it's one of the more popular spin-off choices out there.

I find it really interesting that Trank is directing the Fantastic Four re-boot, which is seen by many as a blatant attempt by Fox to shoe-horn in a FF movie so the rights don't revert to Marvel/Disney...and now he's being hired by Disney to do the spin-off. Most seem to be predicting FF to bomb, I guess Disney isn't too worried about that.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/67548
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby TheBaxter on Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:20 am

dane dehaan did a better anakin skywalker performance in chronicle than anything we saw in the prequels.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby RogueScribner on Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:16 pm

tru dat
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby TheButcher on Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:07 pm

HOT SCOOP: ‘BOBA FETT’ Movie To Be Written By Lawrence Kasdan??!!
Reilly wrote:Hello Schmoeville!

Okay folks, we have some AWESOME scoopage going on here at Schmoesknow.com! And it involves everyone’s favorite (and notorious) bounty hunter: Boba Fett.

It is well known among the many geeks out there that the ongoing rumor about Boba Fett getting his own spin-off movie is FACT. Although no official news has been released other than a scoop from a Hasbro toy fair that offered us a peek at what appears to be the proposed spin-offs:

Fall 2014: Rebels
    2015: Episode VII
    2016: Boba Fett
    2017: Episode VIII
    2018: Solo
    2019: Episode IX
    2020: Red Five

So let’s look at Boba Fett again… Because, according to a very trusted source of Schmoes Know, we have some rumblings of some behind the scenes action taking place in regards to Boba Fett… That news? Jedi Master Screenwriter Lawrence Kasdan is writing the Boba Fett movie!!!

Now it sort of contradicts reports that Gary Whitta is writing one of the spin-off movies and based on the leaked release dates, especially the 2016 proposed Boba Fett movie, then it could be as simple as some mix-matching of the release dates. Perhaps Boba Fett will be released in 2018 and Solo in 2016? But what we are hearing is that Kasdan has written a version of the movie. So then, if this is all true, perhaps Whitta came in to polish Kasdan’s tale?

Moreover, if you look at some of the rumors and/or confirmations from various people all over the Internet, I look at where it started… Namely when AMC MOVIE TALK’S (via Screen Rant) own Jon Schnepp said:
“One of [the Star Wars spinoffs] is Boba Fett. It is. I know. I know for a fact. I will never reveal my source, but it is the one written by Lawrence Kasdan.”

And yup, that’s what our very trusted source has just confirmed as well. Kasdan is writing Boba Fett.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:46 pm

http://www.deadline.com/2014/06/star-wars-rian-johnson-director-next-two-movies/

Reports that Rian Johnson, writer and director of Brick and Looper will write and direct at least Episode VIII, and maybe episode IX. (initial report said both, but i'm seeing other reports that the episode IX part may not be true).

This, to me, is pretty fantastic news if true.
Lord Voldemoo

Postby Ribbons on Fri Jun 20, 2014 4:55 pm

I like everything that Rian Johnson has made (including the odd episodes of "Breaking Bad") so I feel like I should be more excited by this news. He's never really been tested in terms of spectacle, and that's basically all that Star Wars is; the TKs in Looper made stuff float, but that's about it. So I don't know what to expect. I wish him the best though.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Star Wars: Episode VIII

Postby TheButcher on Fri Jun 20, 2014 5:14 pm

Lord Voldemoo wrote:‘Star Wars’ Bombshell! Rian Johnson To Write, Direct Next Two Films

Reports that Rian Johnson, writer and director of Brick and Looper will write and direct at least Episode VIII, and maybe episode IX. (initial report said both, but i'm seeing other reports that the episode IX part may not be true).

This, to me, is pretty fantastic news if true.

THR:
'Star Wars: Episode VIII' Sets Director
"Looper" director Rian Johnson will direct the second new film and write a treatment for the third.
Tatiana Siegel wrote:Contrary to reports that he will be directing the next two Star Wars film, Johnson will direct only Episode VIII, but he is writing a treatment for Episode IX.

Ram Bergman will produce Episode VIII.

Johnson has directed three feature films. His directorial debut, Brick, won the Special Jury Prize for Originality of Vision at the 2005 Sundance Film Festival. He followed that up with 2008's Brothers Bloom and 2012's time-jumping sci-fi action-drama Looper, starring Bruce Willis and Joseph Gordon-Levitt.

THR:
'Star Wars': Why Rian Johnson Is Disney's Most Surprising Director Choice Yet (Analysis)
The "Looper" helmer may break a trend of "safe" director risks for the science-fiction movie franchise.

Variety:
10 Producers to Watch: Ram Bergman
Sharon Knolle wrote:Breakthrough pics: “Brick,” “Dancing at the Blue Iguana”

What I learned the hard way: “You should really delete the word ‘vacation’ from your vocabulary.

“Being a foreigner, I figured I wouldn’t be able to get a job in development or as an assistant,” Bergman says of when he moved from his native Israel to Los Angeles in 1991. “I had no choice, being an immigrant, except to start producing on my own.”

He worked as a valet while trying to break into the industry, eschewing other behind-the-scenes jobs. “You get caught up in how to make a living, but if you work as a P.A. or a second assistant, that’s not getting you closer to your dream. As a valet, I had the flexibility to do what I wanted in terms of achieving my goals.”

His first film was “Rave Review,” made for a few hundred thousand dollars in 1995. “I just kept putting together more and more movies,” he says. “I learned how to take a movie from nothing, raise the money, and produce it, to every stage of finishing it and selling it.”

Now Bergman has a festival hit with “Brick,” which earned good notices at Sundance and is on its way to Venice and Deauville. Focus will distribute domestically in March.

“We loved ‘Brick’ and he’s been really instrumental in making that movie. … He makes interesting and artistically brave movies — and has a good eye for discovering talented filmmakers,” says Jason Resnick, senior VP of acquisitions for Focus Features and Universal.

Another pic under Bergman’s stewardship is the Hans Canosa-directed “Conversations With Other Women,” starring Aaron Eckhart and Helena Bonham Carter. He is bringing the pic to Telluride.

“Not only is he willing to take chances — he took a chance on me as a first-time director — but he also takes chances on material. My film is a dual-frame film, a two-character film with two frames. I didn’t think I would get a producer to make it but Ram kind of inevitably became the guy who made it, because of his willingness to take chances,” says Canosa.

Bergman is currently finishing “Relative Strangers,” a romantic comedy starring Dannny DeVito, Kathy Bates, Ron Livingston and Neve Campbell, and “Nomad,” an epic shot in Kazakhstan over the last two years.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:43 pm

it's definitely much larger in scale than everything he's done before. And is set in an existing "universe" which I would imagine could either be somewhat comforting or daunting for a writer/director who has never done "franchise" work before.

And he may be feeling it a little now too based on this :D

It's an interesting approach, planning up front for at least 2 and maybe 3 directors...and sorta planning for at least 3 and maybe 4 writers.... in a series of 3 films. Based on a universe of 6 other films that were written and directed by someone else. And with spinoffs happening at the same time written and directed by yet more people. I'm kinda fascinated to see how that pans out. Will it feel disjointed and uneven or will the variety work? I honestly have no fricking idea. I guess that's kinda how the Marvel films have worked, but to me this is different. It's not like episode VII is about Luke, Episode VIII about Han and Episode IX about Leia with them all coming together in Episode X (thank god).

I like Abrams better than some in here do, but I'm kinda glad they're not just handing him the reins for all 3 films.

Fuck, I dunno...i have no idea how this is all gonna turn out. But I am, at least, intrigued enough to care!
Lord Voldemoo

Postby Fried Gold on Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:49 pm

I wasn't blown away by Looper. Brothers Bloom wasn't very good. His episodes of Breaking Bad were rather good, but was that just down to him?
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Spandau Belly on Sat Jun 21, 2014 11:15 am

I'm kinda surprised by this. I guess I just assumed Abrams would do the three new trilogy films and you'd only see other fimmakers brought in for the spinoffs.

I also don't find Johnson to be any big draw for me. I quite liked BRICK. I thought it had good focus and managed to be engaging beyond its own gimmicky concept. I didn't bother seeing BROTHERS BLOOM because it looked like another one of those obnoxious movies that gets too distracted by its own quest for quarkiness, kinda how feel about most of Wes Anderson's stuff. I couldn't finish LOOPER. I tried watching it on an airplane once and it was just another dull charmless excercise in that same man-on-the-run sci-fi movie that seems to get released several times a year for the last 20 years. So he's definitely more miss than hit with me, but I admire that he tries to tell his own stories.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Re: Star Wars: Episode VIII

Postby TheButcher on Sat Jun 21, 2014 11:59 am

Rian Johnson directing 'Episode VIII' is a sign of the thinking behind the 'Star Wars' series
So who should end up in the chair for 'Episode IX'
The artist formerly known as Moriarty wrote:The announcement of Rian Johnson as the writer/director of "Star Wars Episode VIII" is exciting for a number of reasons, not least of which is because it indicates something about the way Lucasfilm views the sequel trilogy.

If I were to guess, I would say Marvel isn't going to hire many more writer/directors in the future, even if James Gunn and Joss Whedon both crush it with "Guardians Of The Galaxy" and "Avengers: Age Of Ultron." The fall-out from the "Ant-Man" situation has been fairly brutal, and while I'm curious to see what Peyton Reed and Adam McKay make of the project they're inheriting, the loss of the Edgar Wright version is just plain going to sting.

Lucasfilm's making these announcements in a flurry right now, it seems, and it's because they have to if these movies are all going to hit the amazing schedule that they've announced of one new "Star Wars" film every year. JJ Abrams is neck-deep in "Episode VII" right now, and while I'm sure everyone involved would love to be able to just take their time and focus on that one movie and get it done and polished and in theaters, they can't. It's not coming out until December of 2015, so if they plan to have a December 2016 film, they need Gareth Edwards to be working right now. If they want "Episode VIII" to be in theaters for December 2017, then Rian is probably already deep into the script process. He'd have to be. And then, for 2018, presumably Josh Trank is geared up to start working towards the film he's making, whichever of the spin-offs it's going to be.

The interesting thing about "Star Wars" movies is that Lucasfilm is going to be making so many of these that there's going to be something of a television atmosphere to it, and I don't mean that in any sort of derogatory way. At this point, there should be no stigma at all about television considering the way something like "Game Of Thrones" or "Breaking Bad" or "The Walking Dead" look and the way they dig deep into character and theme. What I mean when I say that is that a show like those shows creates a world that each new director steps into for their episode, telling a story set against this larger canvass. Their job isn't to build the entire thing from scratch, but more to make sure that this particular chapter is told in the best, most complete way possible, and I think it's quite telling that some of the finest episodes of "Breaking Bad" were directed by… oh, yeah… Rian Johnson.

I love his features. I think "The Brothers Bloom" is tremendously underrated. I think "Looper" is a sensational bit of world-building that serves a larger emotional story. Johnson's feature films alone would qualify him for the gig, but I'm willing to bet that the "Breaking Bad" experience didn't hurt. To that end, I think there's a fascinating choice that people are floating tonight on Twitter for who might be right to step up for "Episode IX," and even though she hasn't directed a feature before, she would seem to me to be a great choice given her resume so far.

Michelle MacLaren is a veteran of all three of the shows I mentioned above. She's got four "Game of Thrones" episodes to her name, three "Walking Dead" episodes, and a total of 11 episodes of "Breaking Bad," some of which are among the finest hours the shows each had to offer. The suggestion that she would be a good choice for "Episode IX" is not just a longshot attempt to throw a woman's name in the mix. She is a smart, visually muscular director who has great taste in terms of performance, and she has proven that she can step into an established world and do something that feels complete, like a whole story and not just a slice of TV. She can certainly handle modern visual effects with aplomb, but she doesn't seem particularly reliant upon them, which might be exactly the right sort of person to hire for the series.

And if not her, then who? I know that the Deadline story says that Johnson's doing both "Episode VIII" and "Episode IX," but for the reasons I cited above, it makes more sense if they have a new filmmaker on each of the main trilogy chapters. I like that Johnson's working with his producer, Ram Bergman, who is going to be part of the "Star Wars" process. Bergman's a guy who knows how to stretch a dollar about as far as I am willing to bet it will stretch, so he should help Johnson delivers something massive on a very controlled budget and schedule.

However it shakes out, I find the "Star Wars" choices really compelling and cool so far, and it makes me want to see what these movies are going to be.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sat Jun 21, 2014 12:04 pm

Rian Johnson Goes To The Dark Side With STAR WARS EPISODE VIII
Devin Faraci wrote: Selfishly I don't want Rian Johnson making Star Wars, because I want Rian Johnson making his own movies. I think he's one of the best voices in the film world, and I think he's just getting started. At the same time how can you begrudge someone taking this kind of a job? Assuming he is not crushed by Disney and Lucasfilm and Bad Robot (and that's a big assumption in modern Hollywood) Johnson is an exciting choice for a franchise that is simply not exciting.

He's exciting for all the reasons Abrams isn't. Johnson's scripts are tight and smart, and his focus on character is precise and surgical. While Abrams has a facility with the blockbuster format and look, I think Johnson's approach to character and story (and wonder) is closer to the world from which Star Wars sprang as opposed to the world that sprang from Star Wars.

I want to complain that so many interesting filmmakers are getting shangaied by Star Wars - Gareth Edwards, Josh Trank and now Johnson - but if they're using them as springboards for other things how can I?

By the way, this is four out of six upcoming Star Wars directors announced. Where are the women? We have two more slots, Disney.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Fried Gold on Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:37 pm

Hasbro apparently leaked the release schedule for the All-new Adventures of Star Wars:

2014: Rebels
2015: Episode VII
2016: Boba Fett
2017: Episode VIII
2018: Solo
2019: Episode IX
2020: Red Five

Sadly there appears to be no new Ewok movies or Holiday Specials.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:39 pm

Fried Gold wrote:
Sadly there appears to be no new Ewok movies or Holiday Specials.

Yet.

I guess i'm the only guy in the world with no interest in a Boba Fett standalone flick. I like him better as a mysterious entity.
Lord Voldemoo

Re: My Breakfast With Boba Fett

Postby TheButcher on Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:47 pm

Boba Fett Movie May Have Hired A Very Familiar Face
And they list Temuera Morrison as Boba Fett.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Fievel on Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:20 pm

Lord Voldemoo wrote:I guess i'm the only guy in the world with no interest in a Boba Fett standalone flick. I like him better as a mysterious entity.

I just think there are more interesting characters.... and this is just off the top of my head in the Prequel/OT era
-Darth Plageus/Young Sidious
-Obi Wan Kenobi post-Ep 3
-Any surviving Jedi post Order 66
-Biggs/Imperial Academy

Han could be interesting, but there's SO much baggage with that character.

I really have no interest in a Yoda film.

Boba Fett, though? It seems most of it would just be standard criminal underworld stuff set in the Star Wars universe. It could be good, but again - so much more out there just in this era.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Fried Gold on Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:39 pm

I think the more they focus on single characters, or smaller parts of Star Wars, it will just become as a dull and convoluted as the Extended Universe (where every minute detail about everything gets explored for no particular reason).

It works when it's fairly broad and sweeping. Stop to concentrate and falls to pieces.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Re: My Breakfast With Boba Fett

Postby TheBaxter on Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:46 am

TheButcher wrote:Boba Fett Movie May Have Hired A Very Familiar Face
And they list Temuera Morrison as Boba Fett.

yeah, because nobody's ever posted rumours, fakes, or fan-fantasy casting on IMDB before :roll:
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby TheButcher on Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:50 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:58 pm

'Star Wars: Episode VIII' Director Rian Johnson Talks Prep and Fake Plans
"I can only assume it was a clerical error," the director of "Brick" and "The Brothers Bloom" joked about the reason why Lucasfilm brought him on board to direct "Episode VIII."
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:17 pm

TheButcher wrote:'Star Wars: Episode VIII' Director Rian Johnson Talks Prep and Fake Plans
"I can only assume it was a clerical error," the director of "Brick" and "The Brothers Bloom" joked about the reason why Lucasfilm brought him on board to direct "Episode VIII."

“With these films, I am trying to harken back to the original Star Wars… Christmas Special,” Johnson added

:lol: He's a funny guy.
Lord Voldemoo

Postby TheButcher on Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:13 pm

/film:
‘Star Wars Rebels’ and ‘Clone Wars’ Director Dave Filoni Open to Helming Spin Off
Germain Lussier wrote:/Film: For the next few years, you obviously are concentrating on Star Wars Rebels. But is a Star Wars spin-off movie something you’d want to do? Would you want to get in line to direct whether it be a Rebels movie or some random spin-off movie 10 years down the road?

Dave Filoni:
Oh, of course. That’s a selfish thing to say, but of course. I mean, if I were to get an opportunity like that A, I wouldn’t turn it down. B, I would see it as a great honor to do it. And I would apply all my Jedi knowledge to doing it as best I can. When I see these spin-offs happening, I’ve got definitely more than a few ideas of things that I would love to see finished and some things that makes them, I think, personally great stories.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Josh Trank 's Star Wars Spinoff

Postby TheButcher on Sun Aug 03, 2014 3:25 am

So this is how Josh Trank scored that Star Wars spinoff directing gig
Trent Moore wrote:Here’s how Kinberg explained it to /Film:

“I spoke very highly of Josh to the Lucasfilm guys. They were interested in him because he, like Rian [Johnson, director of Episode VIII] and like Gareth [Edwards, director of a 2016 spin-off], is very much that next generation filmmaker. He comes from a background of making a big movie without a big budget. Which I think is also, not that these movies…they’ll have huge budgets, but the sort of the tradition that George [Lucas] started was somebody that came from making American Graffiti to making a huge science fiction movie. And so there was some of that sort of vibe I know Lucasfilm likes about these new filmmakers. But yeah, I definitely was involved in that process.”

/film:
Simon Kinberg Helped Josh Trank Get ‘Star Wars’ Job; Pair Will Work Together Again
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Zack Snyder And Star Wars and LIES!

Postby TheButcher on Sun Aug 03, 2014 6:03 pm

Bleeding Cool:
What’s Up With Zack Snyder And Star Wars?
Dan Wickline wrote:Zack Snyder, that man currently directing Batman v Superman and has been the cause of a many fan outrages, has been having some fun lately on his twitter feed. He’s now posted two DC/Star Wars mash-ups. The first hit during Comic-Con when we saw a hooded, lightsaber wielding Henry Cavill with the Superman uniform on underneath. More recently there is an overhead shot of Batman with R2-D2.

So that begs the question… why? Is he just trying to have fun? Is he angling to get Disney’s attention to direct one of the Star Wars movies? Does he have way too much free time?

Wired 01.14.13:
Zack Snyder Denies Report of New Star Wars Film Based on Seven Samurai
LAURA HUDSON wrote:After Disney bought Lucasfilm and announced that three all-new Star Wars films were in the works, Snyder (300, Watchmen) quickly took himself off the shortlist for potential directors, telling the LA Times, “I don’t think I’d be interested.” Now, Vulture reports that Snyder will be directing a Star Wars feature after all, but true to his word, it won’t be Episode VII (or VIII, or IX). Rather, the project will be a stand-alone film set in the Star Wars universe, and loosely based on the Kurosawa film about seven masterless samurai defending a small farming village from bandits.

Although Lucasfilm declined to comment, a representative of Zack Snyder subsequently denied the report at The Hollywood Reporter, saying that “while he is super flattered because he is a huge fan, Zack is not involved in any way with the new Star Wars. He is currently in post on his two films, Man of Steel and 300: Battle of Artemisia.” The representative confirmed that this meant both the new trilogy and any standalone features.

THR 1/14/2013:
Zack Snyder Shoots Down Report He's Developing 'Star Wars' Film
The "Man of Steel" filmmaker is not prepping a "Seven Samurai"-style "Star Wars" offshoot, his rep tells THR.

Vulture 1/14/2013:
Zack Snyder Is Developing a Star Wars Film Outside the New Trilogy [UPDATED]
Claude Brodesser-Akner wrote:[UPDATE: Vulture takes the accuracy of its reports very seriously. And while a piece published in The Hollywood Reporter this evening quotes Snyder's rep as saying that the director "is not involved in any way with the new Star Wars," Vulture stands by its story. This reporter heard through a source very familiar with the situation that Snyder recently flew up to Marin County to meet with Lucasfilm execs about the project. When subsequently reached by Vulture, Snyder's spokesperson would only repeat that he "is" not currently involved. One should note the possible political ramifications here of our original story break: Snyder's last Warner Bros. film, Sucker Punch, lost millions for the studio, and execs there could have become distressed at the idea of him getting involved with another studio's franchise when they have so much at stake with their upcoming Man of Steel and want him available for an immediate sequel.]
Back in November, the Los Angeles Times reported that Man of Steel and 300 director Zack Snyder said he had no interest in directing the hotly anticipated seventh Star Wars film. But Vulture has learned that while this may be specifically true — he won’t be doing Episode VII — it was a bit of misdirection: He is in fact developing a Star Wars project for Lucasfilm that is set within the series’ galaxy, though parallel to the next trilogy. It will be an as-yet-untitled Jedi epic loosely based on Akira Kurosawa’s 1954 classic Seven Samurai, with the ronin and katana being replaced by the Force-wielding knights and their iconic lightsabers. (Go ahead, say it — you know you want to: “ … an elegant weapon, for a more civilized age.” Felt good, didn’t it?)
It’s not clear just where Snyder’s untitled Jedi film would fall within the Star Wars chronology, but one insider expects it will not be considered part of the “numbered” episodes, but rather a stand-alone film set sometime post–Episode VI events, meaning the next phase of the franchise development is much broader than previously thought. For those unfamiliar, Kurosawa’s influential Seven Samurai (The Magnificent Seven was the American remake) tells the tale of a small agrarian town in sixteenth-century Japan that’s routinely pillaged by bandits. Fed up with the annual shakedown, its farmers retain the services of seven masterless samurai to defend their harvest. One of the film's stars, Toshiro Mifune, was initially offered the role of Obi-Wan Kenobi (as Kotaku recounts here). George Lucas has cited the classic as one of his favorites, telling the Telegraph in 2005 that “it’s a brilliant, brilliant film, and every time I see it I can't believe the magic mixture of a great story and great acting and humour and action and suspense — wonderful cinema. The art of moving pictures is on every frame of this movie.”
In late October of last year, when Disney CEO Bob Iger first announced the acquisition of Lucasfilm, he’d stated that after Episode VII, “our long term plan is to release a new Star Wars feature film every two to three years.” Our sources also say that Snyder’s would start production after Disney starts on its planned 2015 release of Star Wars: Episode VII, and while no director has yet been set for Episode VII, clearly things are taking shape at Lucasfilm. (A spokesperson for Lucasfilm declined comment.)
In the meantime, we are left to ponder the obvious geek questions: Do Snyder’s Jedi carry just a single lightsaber or a long one and a short one, like samurai do? Oh God, why do you torture us so!?

Hero Complex Nov. 08, 2012:
Zack Snyder on directing new ‘Star Wars’ movie: No thanks
Patrick Kevin Day wrote:Take Zack Snyder off the shortlist of directors vying to helm one of the three new “Star Wars” movies that are now in the works.

The director of “Watchmen” and “Man of Steel” knows a thing or two about spectacle and handling massive franchises with a rabid fan following, but taking on “Star Wars” may be too daunting, even for him.

“I don’t think I’d be interested in [directing it],” Snyder said during a recent interview. “I’m a huge ‘Star Wars’ fanatic. I just think doing [episodes] seven, eight and nine is just a slippery slope. It’s a whole other mythological experiment I’m excited to see, but it’s a lot of effort.”

Vulture 12/26/2012:
J.J. Abrams Is Not Directing Star Wars, Everyone
Gilbert Cruz wrote:You can cross one more name off that giant whiteboard you have set up in your rec room: J.J. Abrams tells Empire magazine that he won't be directing Star Wars: Episode 7. "There were the very early conversations and I quickly said [no] because of my loyalty to Star Trek, and also just being a fan ... I'd rather be in the audience not knowing what was coming rather than being involved in the minutiae of making them." Abrams also confirms that he's committed to one more Trek movie after Star Trek Into Darkness. So, Star Trek III: Lens Flares of Destiny?

7/28/2008
From the Superman Homepage: Zack Snyder, “Superman Seems Too Earnest”
USA Today has published an article from Comic-Con International asking the question, "Are Superheroes done for?". Included in the article are the following comments by Zack Snyder, director of the "Watchmen" movie.

Of course, as this summer and this comic-book convention have unfolded, it has become clear that no one is Superman anymore. Perhaps, says Watchmen director Zack Snyder, Superman is gone for good.
"They asked me to direct a Superman movie, and I said no," Snyder says. "He's a tricky one nowadays, isn't he? He's the king daddy of all comic-book heroes, but I'm just not sure how you sell that kind of earnestness to a sophisticated audience anymore."

From MTV 2010/11/04:
No General Zod For 'Superman' Reboot, Says Zack Snyder
From Cinemablend 2010-09-24:
Directors Respond To Newest Superman Rumors
Eric Eisenberg wrote:First up is Snyder, who I feel is the strongest candidate, as his visual style could work perfectly with the storytelling of the Nolan brothers and David S. Goyer. Sadly, it's not to be. A few days before the news broke, Snyder did an interview with Latino Review in which he mentioned that he was approached about the project, but turned the opportunity down.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Peven on Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:02 pm

what is your theme there, Butcher?

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby TheButcher on Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:19 am

I think Zack Snyder might be directing a Star Wars spinoff film.
Lucasfilm always goes into denial mode when a rumor pops up.
Even when they know the rumor is correct.
Just a quick history of Zack's comments.
His previous denials that turned out to be lies.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:08 am

THR:
Simon Kinberg Explains Why Josh Trank Fits for 'Star Wars'
The screenwriter says that the "Chronicle" director has an early George Lucas appeal about him.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sat Aug 16, 2014 5:43 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

The Future of the Star Wars Brand

Postby TheButcher on Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:07 pm

From Variety:
NOVEMBER 8, 2012'
Disney sees Q4 profits rise, touts Lucasfilm integration - Bob Iger says acquisition of 'Star Wars' brand will 'further fuel Disney's creative engine'
Marc Graser wrote:When asked whether Disney could handle another major brand in its portfolio, Iger wasn't concerned about fitting Lucasfilm's assets into the mix.

"Six years after the Pixar acquisition, there's proof this brand's been handled effectively," Iger said. "We've demonstrated our ability to be ambidexterous. The 'Star Wars' brand doesn't need much help but benefits greatly from the release of a film. When we take over distribution of their films and are the owner of the brand, we're more focused on growing the brand than the third-party distributor was."

While 20th Century Fox still controls distribution rights for the "Star Wars" films that were made and any re-releases in 3D, "We did not factor in any need to acquire rights back from News Corp.," Iger said. "We may choose to explore that, but all value is going-forward value."

Toward that end, Iger said, "Lucas product will be co-branded with Disney's name on it."

That includes consumer products, where Disney saw Marvel's characters, including Spider-Man, helping to propel the division, which saw sales increase 7% for the year to $3.3 billion and profits rise 15% to $937 million. For the quarter, revenue was up 8% to $883 million as profits surged 29% to $267 million.

Iger said he sees the Lucasfilm acquisition as a "great opportunity to infuse our stores with 'Star Wars' merchandise and grow our online business."

io9 4/04/13:
Is Disney about to destroy the Star Wars Expanded Universe Altogether?

The Wrap May 15, 2013:
How the Battle Over 'Star Trek' Rights Killed J.J. Abrams' Grand Ambitions
The franchise's licensing and merchandising rights are split between CBS and Paramount which created headaches for the multihyphenate's production company Bad Robot
Brent Lang wrote:Abrams' ambitions to create a multi-platform film franchise will find a more natural home at Disney, analysts and industry experts tell TheWrap. As successful as "Star Trek" has been, few franchises match the profitability and cultural prominence of George Lucas' space opera, which would be difficult for any director to pass up.

“Disney has always been oriented to multi-platform revenue stream situations,” Seth Willenson, a film library valuations expert, told TheWrap.

Moreover, Willenson notes that Abrams, who has a deal that is believed to include creative and profit participation in "Star Wars" inspired merchandise and spin-offs, will have more control in shaping the legacy of the Skywalker clan than he would have had with developing side projects for the "Star Trek" crew. Unlike with "Star Trek," with its rights split between Paramount and CBS, Disney owns the rights to “Star Wars” outright thanks to its $4 billion purchase of Lucasfilm last year.

"The derivative rights situation on 'Star Trek' is complicated because you’re dealing with cross-company cultures, so it makes it harder to implement a grand plan," Willenson said.

As for Disney's grand "Star Wars" plan, it's sounding an awful lot like the one Abrams once envisioned for "Star Trek." There will be television properties, theme park rides and spin-off films all centered around the new trilogy that Abrams will oversee.

It's a page borrowed from Disney's exploitation of the Marvel comic books and if it works out, it should make Abrams very rich indeed.

SPOILERS
CBM:
STAR WARS Movies Rumored To "Redefine Longform Storytelling" By Connecting Everything
According to a new report, Star Wars Episode VII is set to "redefine longform storytelling" with the arc of the new trilogy already set and the story set to weave through books, comics, games and more, all to make the Star Wars Universe more cohesive and engrossing.

SPOILERS
BAD:
How I Learned To Stop Worrying And Love STAR WARS Again
Devin may have had his road to Damascus moment when it comes to STAR WARS.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:06 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Fievel on Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:48 am

Add in Ewan and this is easily the best spin-off character idea tossed around.

I don't give a shit about a Han Solo, Yoda, or even a Boba Fett film. But McGregor (the best character/actor in the prequels for me) reprising his role as Kenobi? Yes please!
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby TheBaxter on Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:42 am

they should hire Paul Thomas Anderson or Terrence Malick and make this film a tone piece, exploring Obi-Wan's years wandering the Jundland Wastes, meditating and mourning the loss of the Jedi Order. the whole film should be dialogue-free except for one scene in which Obi-Wan smokes some death sticks and goes on a vision quest, where Qui-Gon Jinn shows up in the form of a Womp Rat to impart some arcane wisdom, right before Kenobi turns into a Mynock and flies into the sun (both of them). soundtrack by Jonny Greenwood and Iggy Azalea.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby TheButcher on Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:42 pm

TheBaxter wrote:they should hire Paul Thomas Anderson or Terrence Malick and make this film a tone piece, exploring Obi-Wan's years wandering the Jundland Wastes, meditating and mourning the loss of the Jedi Order. the whole film should be dialogue-free except for one scene in which Obi-Wan smokes some death sticks and goes on a vision quest, where Qui-Gon Jinn shows up in the form of a Womp Rat to impart some arcane wisdom, right before Kenobi turns into a Mynock and flies into the sun (both of them). soundtrack by Jonny Greenwood and Iggy Azalea.

Did you see the size of that Womp RAT!
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Fri Oct 10, 2014 7:10 am

Tomorrowland: Incredibles Director on His Star Wars Hopes
The Tomorrowland and Incredibles director on whether he'll ever make a Star Wars spinoff film.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: The Future of Star Wars Subtitles

Postby TheButcher on Fri Nov 07, 2014 6:45 am

AIXCN 11/06/2014:
The Full Title Of STAR WARS EPISODE VII Is…
Merrick wrote:And with this, the STAR WARS marketing machine swings into full gear for what will be a fun,. tense, intriguing, and (probably sometimes) frustrating journey to the picture’s December 18, 2015 release.

Keep in mind, the 'classic' STAR WARS films didn't use Episode numbers on their posters (STAR WARS: THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK, STAR WARS: RETURN OF THE JEDI), but they did include Episode #s on the films themselves. I'm assuming a similar pattern is being repeated here (i.e. we’ll likely see STAR WARS EPISODE VII: THE FORCE AWAKENS on the opening crawl). Just conjecturing based on what I'm hearing of JJ's devotion to the Original Trilogy and so forth...

AICN 09/25/1998:
Star Wars Episode One Title ANNOUNCED!!!!!
September 25, 1998 -- One of the most common questions fans have been asking is, "What is the title of the new Star Wars movie?" We're happy to report that George Lucas has decided to name the new movie "Star Wars: Episode I -- The Phantom Menace."

Call me Torgo

Alright folks, now I'm sure some of you are undoubtedly going nuts, saying, "This isn't a title to a Star Wars film!" but let me assure you it is. I'm not talking about whether or not it is a real official title, because that we already know. What I'm talking about is does it belong. It does.

First off you have to think about Lucas' primary inspiration for STAR WARS. The old Buster Crabbe FLASH GORDON and BUCK ROGERS serials. Hell, Gene Autrey was in one called THE PHANTOM EMPIRE, that serial rocked by the way. The Star Wars saga is very much the greatest SERIAL the world has ever seen. And as a rule, all serials began with titles like this one. You see THE PHANTOM MENACE is the perfect title for Chapter One of a serial.

It sets up a forboding tone. Making references to the secret enemy from within. There is the enemy that has been there all along. It creates an aura of mystery and yet is every bit as popcorny as the EMPIRE STRIKES BACK or A NEW HOPE. THE PHANTOM MENACE is wonderful, and it plays into the story that will unfurl after the title crawls into the vastness of space. Of course not all of us fans grew up on the classic serials. I recommend spending a few hours with SPY SMASHER, MYSTERIOUS DR SATAN, THE PHANTOM EMPIRE, FLASH GORDON, BUCK ROGERS, ZORRO'S FIGHTING LEGION, THE ADVENTURES OF CAPTAIN MARVEL, PERILS OF NYOKA, etc... Check them out at your video store. The whole rolling crawl comes straight from this. The cliffhanger endings. The melodramatic thrill chase... remember the serial's title is still STAR WARS, this is merely the chapter name. So there you have my opinion on the title...

AICN March 24, 2004:
The title for STAR WARS EPISODE III' Heh... I know...
THE CREEPING FEAR... it sounds like a serial chapter title... it has a retrofunk to it and like both the previous names it would be sure to drive fanboys screaming mad about how Lucas is insane and how Fincher should be directing the final part... but... THE CREEPING FEAR is the thing that's gonna bite Anakin on the ass and complete his transformation. THE CREEPING FEAR is what is going to be wiping out the Jedi, making the few survivors genuinely feeling like lucky bastards. This could all be bullshit, but we'll see soon enough if the rest of the email is correct... personally I do have a skeptical side... after all, THE PHANTOM MENACE was unleashed in September... and ATTACK OF THE CLONES was an August thing, almost a full month earlier... this would be quite a bit earlier than expected... Let's see if THE CREEPING FEAR turns out to be more than just geeks' feelings towards the 3rd and final prequel.

AICN 05/06/2014:
STAR WARS EPISODE VII's working title is... you didn't think I'd blow it in the headline did ya?
Hey folks, Harry here... in response to my article earlier today a new source has come forward to confirm information that I've been sitting on for over a month. As I've said - getting confirmation has been a bitch. I know lots of people in JJ's camp - including JJ... but when I put the title to JJ... he never even responded. That alone was suspicious. But my original source had told me back in January that Abu Dhabi was a location, and when that came to be, he sent me a scoop that the title for STAR WARS EPISODE VII was THE ANCIENT FEAR.

I ran it by everyone in the editorial chatroom. Beaks, Merrick, Quint, Capone... everyone... and they rattled their sources cages - and couldn't get confirmation... BUT tonight... a source that I'm told to call Col. Mustard claimed completely on his own that "the working title" was THE ANCIENT FEAR....

He also stated that "it refers to Max Von Sydow's villain who makes Pazuzu look like a pussy!"

Now - let's see what happens to the working title. Personally... I love it!

BAD 11/06/2014
STAR WARS EPISODE VII Is Called THE FORCE AWAKENS
Devin Faraci wrote:It's the lack of Episode VII, which seems to be official, that interests me. In the brave new Disney era they're getting rid of the episodes in the title probably because they intend to go 20 more movies deep in the main saga, and ain't nobody wants to go to the cinema to see Star Wars Episode 16. I'm not quite sure how they'll be differentiating the spin-offs from the main saga, although maybe that's on purpose - they want to blur the lines.

A TFN Forum Member Predicted The Force Awakens' Title Two Years Ago
Eric wrote:Today, Lucasfilm dropped a Star Wars: Episode VII bombshell: They would no longer make us call the movie "Episode VII." Instead, the first sequel is The Force Awakens. It's a strong title with an active verb construction and a deeply symbolic meaning for the franchise as a whole right now. But until today, The Force Awakens wasn't on the radar of anyone outside of the production team.

Except for one person.

ScreenCrush's Mike Ryan did some Googling after the news broke and discovered that, on December 21, 2012 -- coincidentally, the day everyone thought the world would end -- a fan with the username "Queen Gimmedala" posted the exact title in an Episode VII title speculation thread on TheForce.Net's own Jedi Council Forums.

Shortly after I saw Mike's post, I reached out to "Queen Gimmedala" through our forum's private-messaging system. The title of my message was "You guessed the name of Episode VII correctly." As it turned out, I was the one to break this news to her.

When I asked her what made her think of The Force Awakens, she wrote back with a really great response that I want to share here (with her permission). I bolded a few key sentences because I think her rationale gets to the heart of some of the saga's enduring themes.
Queen Gimmedala wrote:I'm in love with Star Wars, PT and OT. I do not follow any of the EU. So my "knowledge" of the SW universe is really limited to the 6 movies and the recent tv shows.

Ultimately this was a random guess. No inside info or connection to Lucas. But to me it seemed logical that the first movie in this trilogy would need to address the force. I'm a believer that the movie titles in each trilogy closely relate and I suspect this will carry over for the ST.

So I knew it was going to be 3 words, and the force. I also know that the wording would be vague/ambiguous/old fashioned like all the other six movie titles.

The Phantom Menace (something is wrong with the force), A New Hope (something is helping) and The Force Awakens (It's BACK BABY). I LOVE IT.

THANK YOU, for bringing this to my attention. Even though I was of course pleased with the name, I totally forgot I came up with it first!
In a follow-up post in the same thread where two years ago she became the Nostradamus of Star Wars, "Queen Gimmedala" wrote, "I'm sure using this methodology you can correctly guess Episode 8 and 9! I can't wait to throw in my next 'guess'."

This is partly an extremely funny coincidence and partly a reflection of how important continuity and thematic repetition is in the Star Wars saga. Now let's all get excited. Star Wars: The Force Awakens will be released on December 18, 2015.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: The Future of Star Wars Subtitles

Postby TheButcher on Fri Nov 07, 2014 7:06 am

AICN 11/06/2014:
The Full Title Of STAR WARS EPISODE VII Is…
Ray Gamma wrote:Congratulations Disney, on breaking the "EVIL" > "GOOD" > "EVIL" > "GOOD" > "EVIL" >"GOOD" pattern of the Star Wars titles. (THE PHANTOM MENACE = BAD GUYS), (ATTACK OF THE CLONES = GOOD GUYS), (REVENGE OF THE SITH = BAD GUYS), (A NEW HOPE = GOOD GUYS), (THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK = BAD GUYS), (RETURN OF THE JEDI = GOOD GUYS)….. Yeah I can just see the Disney executives reading this talkback right now and one of them saying "Oh shit, I never noticed that before". (Unless it turns out that "The Force" refers to something evil, in which case, that could be interesting, but would leave Episode IX on a dark note). Let's see what else you can break in Star Wars, Disney. I suppose the 20th Century Fox Fanfare is gone too.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Jedi Master Mace Windu's Bad Ass Song

Postby TheButcher on Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:59 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Jedi Master Mace Windu's Bad Ass Song

Postby so sorry on Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:00 pm

Waiting for my Watto spin off movie.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

PreviousNext