Hollywood has OFFICIALLY run out of ideas

All the dirt. All the top secret stuff. Anything that has to do with the process of getting us to sit and watch something projected on the big screen.

Re: The Takening

Postby TheButcher on Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:22 am

U.K. Actor Mark Harris Co-Developing 'Abducted' Sequel
Stuart Kemp wrote:LONDON – British actor Mark Harris (Abducted, Anuvahood) has signed a development deal with fashion mogul Stewart Goldman of shoe label Chinese Laundry to star in an as yet untitled sequel to Abducted.

The film follows a man’s mission to find his young daughter who has been abducted by an underground crime ring in L.A.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Hollywood has OFFICIALLY run out of ideas

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:45 am

What the fuck is ABDUCTED?
caruso_stalker217
TOO AGED FOR THIS MALARKEY

Re: The Takening

Postby TheButcher on Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:15 pm

caruso_stalker217 wrote:What the fuck is ABDUCTED?

Abducted (2014) Movie Trailer
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Al Gore 'Environmental Wacko'

Postby TheButcher on Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:54 am

'An Inconvenient Truth' Producers Talking Sequel (Exclusive)
On a follow-up to the doc, which grossed nearly $50 million worldwide, producer Lawrence Bender tells THR, "We want it to have an impact."
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:31 am

Lionsgate Picks Up The Crashed-Starship Movie Terrestrial
Lionsgate just snapped up the rights to Terrestrial, a spec script about a massive spaceship in the middle of the Mojave Desert, for a reported six figures.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Spandau Belly on Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:28 am

TheButcher wrote:'An Inconvenient Truth' Producers Talking Sequel (Exclusive)
On a follow-up to the doc, which grossed nearly $50 million worldwide, producer Lawrence Bender tells THR, "We want it to have an impact."

Lawrence Bender wrote:"We're really looking to reinvigorate the wave of apathy we saw after the first film. It's like we brought the awareness up to a level where people could step over it and go on with their destructive lives, now we want to raise the awareness to a point where people can duck under it."
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby so sorry on Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:11 am

Spandau Belly wrote:

Lawrence Bender wrote:"We're really looking to reinvigorate the wave of apathy we saw after the first film. It's like we brought the awareness up to a level where people could step over it and go on with their destructive lives, now we want to raise the awareness to a point where people can duck under it."

I always kinda thought all those Doomsday Prepper shows were the sequels to An Inconvienient Truth.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby TheBaxter on Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:52 am

so sorry wrote:
Spandau Belly wrote:

I always kinda thought all those Doomsday Prepper shows were the sequels to An Inconvienient Truth.

i think they're actually a sequel to Bowling for Columbine.
or a prequel to those Left Behind movies.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby minstrel on Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:32 pm

"Reinvigorate the wave of apathy"? Did I read that right?
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Re: Police Academy Reboot

Postby TheButcher on Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:51 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:56 am

I am actually in favor of this. They could give Guttenberg a cameo, like Mahoney shows up in the hot air balloon he flew away in at the end of POLICE ACADEMY 4 and everybody's like, "Hey Mahoney, where have you been?" and he could say something like, "I was fucking your sister." And Michael Winslow goes BEEP BEEP boop.

Pay me, Hollywood.
caruso_stalker217

Postby TheButcher on Sat Apr 05, 2014 4:18 am

Key & Peele to Produce 'Police Academy' Reboot for New Line (Exclusive)
Scott Zabielski, who was attached to the project in 2012, is no longer on board to direct.
Borys Kit & Rebecca Ford wrote:Keegan-Michael Key and Jordan Peele, best known for sketch comedy show Key & Peele, have signed on to produce New Line Cinema's Police Academy reboot.

Original producer Paul Maslansky is back for the new iteration, which aims to remake the seven-film comedy series about a ragtag group of police recruits who repeatedly are called to help save the city. Sam Brown is overseeing for New Line.

The first film, released in 1984 by Warner Bros., starred Steve Guttenberg as Mahoney, the group's leader. The last film in the series was 1994's Mission to Moscow. The series grossed a combined $242 million worldwide and spawned a pair of TV series.

A reboot of Police Academy has been set up for several years at New Line. First-time director Scott Zabielski, who was attached to the project in 2012, is no longer on board to helm the film.

When The Hollywood Reporter first wrote about the attempt to revive the franchise in 2010, Maslansky said he aimed to completely recast the film with up-and-comers.

"It's going to be very worthwhile to the people who remember it and to those who saw it on TV," Maslansky told THR. "It's going to be a new class. We hope to discover new talent and season it with great comedians. It'll be anything but another movie with a numeral next to it. And we'll most probably retain the wonderful musical theme."

While there's no official word on whether Key and Peele would star in the film, their brand of comedy could be a good fit. The duo, who have starred on the Comedy Central show since Jan. 31, 2012, are both former castmembers of MADtv. Key & Peele's third season premiered on September 18, 2013, and the show has been renewed for a fourth season. They'll soon appear as FBI partners on four episodes of FX's limited series Fargo.

Key and Peele are both repped by UTA and Principato Young Entertainment.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:27 am

‘Guardians of the Galaxy’ Director James Gunn Sticks Up for Hollywood Remakes
"If you want to stop seeing films remade, stop watching them," the Marvel filmmaker says
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Peven on Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:29 am

why isn't the Expendables thread merged into this one, what other movie franchise better embodies "Hollywood has officially run out of ideas"?

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby so sorry on Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:15 am

TheButcher wrote:‘Guardians of the Galaxy’ Director James Gunn Sticks Up for Hollywood Remakes
"If you want to stop seeing films remade, stop watching them," the Marvel filmmaker says

I couldn't agree more with this guy actually. Sometimes I get upset about certain "remake" movies, but ultimately nobody is forcing a gun to my head to go see anything.
Nothing will ever deter Hollywood from remaking older movies.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby TheBaxter on Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:44 pm

the biggest problem with remakes, as far as i'm concerned, is when i'm flipping channels and i see the name of a movie i want to watch so i tune to it, only to discover it's the crappy remake instead of the far superior original.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Al Shut on Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:55 am

Peven wrote:why isn't the Expendables thread merged into this one, what other movie franchise better embodies "Hollywood has officially run out of ideas"?

Spiderman? A franchise rebooted so fast some People actually have no idea it's not a sequel
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby Peven on Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:57 am

Al Shut wrote:
Peven wrote:why isn't the Expendables thread merged into this one, what other movie franchise better embodies "Hollywood has officially run out of ideas"?

Spiderman? A franchise rebooted so fast some People actually have no idea it's not a sequel

no way, not even close, there have been only 5 Spiderman movies, with real effort and expense to make them about characters and story as well as spectacle, compared to the myriad of cliched action movies over the last 35 years that the Expendables rehashes and regurgitates by cash-grabbing has-beens.

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby minstrel on Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:45 am

TheBaxter wrote:the biggest problem with remakes, as far as i'm concerned, is when i'm flipping channels and i see the name of a movie i want to watch so i tune to it, only to discover it's the crappy remake instead of the far superior original.

This. Exhibit A: Flight of the Phoenix.
minstrel

Postby Spandau Belly on Sat Apr 26, 2014 1:21 pm

Lots of stories have room for improvement or interpretation, but the 1959 version of BEN-HUR is just an untouchable masterpiece as far as I'm concerned. I'm not anti-remake guy (the 1959 Heston-Wyler version is itself a remake of a silent film version) but what do you possibly think you can contribute to this?
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby TheButcher on Thu May 01, 2014 2:30 pm

Key and Peele Talk Their Police Academy Reboot
Jenna Marotta wrote:Vulture talked to the Key & Peele stars at Saturday's American Comedy Awards about how they’ll update the 30-year-old, seven-film franchise.

“It's one of these things that everybody knows, everyone has this sort of passionate relationship to the thing, and we want to completely update the tone,” said Peele. “Make it feel nice and real and grounded and bring some of what we do with Key & Peele to that franchise.”

“We’re holding that baby very gingerly, and we hope not to drop it,” adds Key, who actually saw the second Police Academy first, because his parents wouldn't take him to see its predecessor. “It’s still iconic. I can't believe the amount of young people who you say 'Tackleberry' or 'Hightower' and they know what you're talking about. That's impressive.”

Will they cast themselves as cadets? “We’re talking about it. We’re not sure,” said Key. “We’re not even that far yet,” added Peele. “I think it’d be cool … our job is to be the creative producer. So ultimately we’re going to make the decision that’s best for the film.” They are also self-aware (if not deprecating) about it. Key: “There might be a point where we need somebody way more famous than us.”

The search for a modern-day Steve Guttenberg begins.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Cosmic Motors

Postby TheButcher on Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:46 am

Variety AUGUST 29, 2014:
Warner Bros., Michael Bay Find Writer to Rev Up ‘Cosmic Motors’ (EXCLUSIVE)

TheGuardian Friday 15 August 2014:
Michael Bay is revved up about Cosmic Motors
The Transformers director's next film could be an adaptation of a picture book about futuristic space vehicles
Ben Child wrote:Simon's tome has no traditional story, but instead features concept art, designs and digital renders of nine cosmic vehicles, including spaceships, race cars and motorcycles, from the fictional Galaxion galaxy. The German-born artist, a former senior designer at Bugatti and Volkswagen, is well known in Hollywood for his work designing fantasy vehicles such as the updated lightcycles in Tron: Legacy, and Hydra's tanks, cars, airships, and submarines in Captain America: The First Avenger.

Blurb about Cosmic Motors on Simon's website reads: "Cosmic Motors is a fantasy manufacturer of vehicles of all kinds, located in the center of the Galaxion galaxy. CoMo, as it is affectionately referred to by its outer space fans, was founded in the Galaxion year 8966-B… Besides their groundbreaking developments in transportation, CoMo gained fame by turning retired war machinery of other makers into the finest sports competition vehicles. The transformation of these retired war machines into racers accentuates the now peaceful state in the galaxy, even if there are still remote planets with ongoing conflicts. … Today, Cosmic Motors produces some of the finest vehicles in the Galaxion galaxy, successfully blending cutting-edge technology with battle-proven crude mechanics, packaged in a sophisticated design aesthetic."

Bay, who would also produce the film through his Bay Films company, is reportedly working to secure an original story for the project. Cosmic Motors, apparently being pitched as a space western, will reportedly be set up at Warner Bros rather than Bay's regular studio partner Paramount.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sat Nov 08, 2014 5:49 pm

'Lone Survivor' creative team signs on for 'Six Billion Dollar Man' reboot
I'M DYING TO KNOW WHAT TONE THEY'LL TRY FOR THIS ON

Moriarty wrote:While I wasn't the biggest fan of "Lone Survivor," I was impressed with the way they managed to turn it into a genuine hit. It's a pretty stark and brutal story, but Mark Wahlberg worked overtime to help sell the movie, and it's obvious that it came from a place of real passion for him.

Peter Berg has such a strange filmography at this point that I've basically given up trying to guess what he'll do next. I always walk in hoping for him to put it all together as well as he does in films like "Friday Night Lights" or "The Rundown," because I think he's got the chops. I like that he's done some of everything at this point. Looking at how he shoots action in "Hancock," for example, or even in "Lone Survivor," he's got a sense for how to build a sequence. I just think he's been hindered by scripts at times. I like how he shot "Battleship," but I don't like the actual story being told.

It's exciting to hear that Berg and Wahlberg will collaborate for "The Six Billion Dollar Man," because there's plenty of potential in that idea. Universal's been trying to make a new updated version of this property for at least 20 years now, so I'm a little surprised to see that this is now in the hands of the Weinsteins. One of the earliest Hollywood script assignments that Kevin Smith took after he broke with "Clerks" was writing a version of what was still "The Six MIllion Dollar Man" at that point. There have been comedy versions, action versions, hybrids of the two.

I'm old enough to actually remember the show when it was on the air. I had the action figures. I had a lunchbox. I thought the show was really, really cool. When they released the complete series DVD set a year or two ago, I picked it up and started trying to watch a few episodes, and I'm shocked at how different it is from what I remember. This is why I find nostalgia so fascinating. So often, people's feelings about a thing are disconnected from the actual thing, and they're more about when something came out or who they were at the time. While there's some name recognition value for "The Six Billion Dollar Man," Universal has a pretty much blank slate to tell any story they want.

There was a book that actually came first, "Cyborg," and it's got a much more grim and straight-faced tone than the show, which is a very odd mix of tones. Whichever writer Dimension Films brings on to work with Berg and Wahlberg, their biggest trick is going to be figuring out what kind of movie this is. According to the report on Deadline, Universal may actually have a financial stake in this version. Wahlberg's got a lot of things lined up already, so we'll see when they end up ready to go in front of the camera on this.

For now, it's an intriguing prospect, if nothing else.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:39 am

'Man of Steel' Actress in Talks for 'Ben-Hur' (Exclusive)
Ayelet Zurer is joining Paramount and MGM's retelling of the classic sword-and-sandals epic
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:45 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:32 pm

Shouldn't this be in the 'Pauly Shore is OFFICIALLY out of money' thread?
caruso_stalker217

Postby TheBaxter on Fri Dec 05, 2014 11:49 am

i would put it into the "Pauly Shore is OFFICIALLY out of talent" thread, except that thread was started 25 years ago before the Zone existed.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Spandau Belly on Thu Dec 11, 2014 12:50 pm

So they've rebooted The Transporter and it's coming out in 2015?

Ya know, coz Jason Statham's so old and so expensive and the material really needed to be updated with a fresh vision that fits the geopolitical landscape of today.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Darkness Rising

Postby TheButcher on Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:51 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:25 pm

Simon West (Yes, That Guy) Is Directing THE BLOB
A huge gelatinous mass is smothering my optimism.
Evan 'Tyler Perry' 'Saathoff wrote: I hate to be such a negative guy, but Simon West is not a filmmaker that inspires much confidence. Yes, Con Air is fun, but that’s about it. If you want to know more about why I think this does not bode well for this remake, check out this quote from West in the press release:

Simon West “With modern CGI we can now fully realize the potential of The Blob. The world I create will be totally believable, immersive and emotionally satisfying. It’s a thrill to introduce an enduring icon to a wider audience and a whole new era of fans.”

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheBaxter on Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:42 pm

isn't it a little early for a Chris Christie biopic?

ba-ka-choo-BAH! Image
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby so sorry on Thu Feb 19, 2015 1:52 pm

so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Al Shut on Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:49 pm

I'm unable to form a thought on the possibility of that movie

The talkback killed me.
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby TheBaxter on Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:39 pm

Al Shut wrote:I'm unable to form a thought on the possibility of that movie

i can.

thought #1: if samuel l jackson couldnt bring this character back, i don't know who can.
thought #2: they'll probably cast kevin hart or someone and turn it into a dumb comedy.

The talkback killed me.
[/quote]

AICN talkbacks -- where news about a Shaft movie results in long drawn-out arguments over the political philosophy behind Naziism. or any other news article, for that matter.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Chris Pratt is Shaft Reboot

Postby TheButcher on Fri Feb 20, 2015 5:43 am

TheBaxter wrote:
Al Shut wrote:The talkback killed me.

AICN talkbacks -- where news about a Shaft movie results in long drawn-out arguments over the political philosophy behind Naziism. or any other news article, for that matter.

Classic talkback.

I think they'll go for the grim and gritty with this reboot.

Denzel Washington
Idris Elba
or
Chris Pratt :wink:
Peven wrote:Chris Pratt gotta eat
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Fri Feb 20, 2015 5:55 pm

Say what you want about the Talkback but at least people TALK on the Talkback and come out at the end of the day with more interesting and witty stuff than here. Ironic that TheButcher of all people made the comment above.

The Talkbacks are better than The Zone.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Spandau Belly on Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:44 pm

I liked SHAFT 2000 and felt it was a good update of the character. Bale and Wright were lots of fun as the villains. I would've liked Jackson to come back and do a sequel or two.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby Ribbons on Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:09 pm

Peoples Hernandez, motherfucker!

I liked that movie too.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Spandau Belly on Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:19 pm

Since Abrams has gone back to Paramount, they should give him back STAR TREK so then Justin Lin can do the new SHAFT. I think Lin would be well-suited to directing a John Shaft movie, (and it wouldn't be the first time he's succeeded John Singleton on a franchise).
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby Peven on Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:23 pm

they are going to reenvision Shaft as a 21st century badass, brainiac computer hacker who can crash your credit score with a keystroke, played by.....

http://filmjunk.com/images/weblog/didyougetmytext.jpg

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby minstrel on Fri Feb 27, 2015 4:46 am

Peven wrote:they are going to reenvision Shaft as a 21st century badass, brainiac computer hacker who can crash your credit score with a keystroke, played by.....

http://filmjunk.com/images/weblog/didyougetmytext.jpg

You just broke my eyes and ruined my sleep tonight!
minstrel

Postby TheButcher on Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:41 pm

'Blue Thunder' Remake Kicks Off Drone-Themed Film Frenzy (Exclusive)
'Fifty Shades' producer Dana Brunetti is developing a modern take on the 1983 action thriller for Sony with the titular helicopter being replaced by the world's most advanced drone.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheBaxter on Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:10 pm

TheButcher wrote:'Blue Thunder' Remake Kicks Off Drone-Themed Film Frenzy (Exclusive)
'Fifty Shades' producer Dana Brunetti is developing a modern take on the 1983 action thriller for Sony with the titular helicopter being replaced by the world's most advanced drone.

TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Re: Scarface: The Shame of a Nation Remake

Postby TheButcher on Thu Mar 19, 2015 3:36 am

'Scarface' Remake Moving Forward With 'Straight Outta Compton' Writer (Exclusive)
Universal taps Jonathan Herman to pen the latest draft.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Hollywood has not run out of ideas

Postby TheButcher on Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:09 am

Warner Bros Acquires Tony Jaswinski Sci-Fi Pitch ‘Variant’
Details about Variant‘s plot are under wraps, but I’m hearing the female lead was the key to sparking Warner Bros’ interest.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Robin Hood: Origins

Postby TheButcher on Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:30 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:20 pm

The Reboot-O-Tron Selects: ALIEN NATION…
merrick wrote:The 1988 progenitor picture starred James Cann and Mandy Patinkin, and went on to spawn a one season television series which didn’t.

:?: :?: :?:
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby so sorry on Thu Mar 26, 2015 1:36 pm

TheButcher wrote:The Reboot-O-Tron Selects: ALIEN NATION…
merrick wrote:The 1988 progenitor picture starred James Cann and Mandy Patinkin, and went on to spawn a one season television series which didn’t.

:?: :?: :?:

I got no problem with this reboot...although the subject matter at that time (1988) probably was new and fresh vs. now.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby TheButcher on Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:24 pm

Dwayne ‘The Rock’ Johnson to Star in ‘Big Trouble in Little China’ Remake (Exclusive)
20th Century Fox is excited about a new take from “X-Men: First Class” writers Ashley Miller and Zack Stentz

The Rock Rides The Pork Chop Express In BIG TROUBLE IN LITTLE CHINA Remake
Like, don't remake Big Trouble In Little China. For one thing, the original is perfect and no amount of CGI is going to improve upon it.

Justin Morissette wrote:The Rock just did a movie where he thought he was great but saved absolutely no one, so he's perfect for Jack Burton.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Tue Jun 02, 2015 12:41 pm

TheButcher wrote:Dwayne ‘The Rock’ Johnson to Star in ‘Big Trouble in Little China’ Remake (Exclusive)
20th Century Fox is excited about a new take from “X-Men: First Class” writers Ashley Miller and Zack Stentz

The Rock Rides The Pork Chop Express In BIG TROUBLE IN LITTLE CHINA Remake
Like, don't remake Big Trouble In Little China. For one thing, the original is perfect and no amount of CGI is going to improve upon it.

Justin Morissette wrote:The Rock just did a movie where he thought he was great but saved absolutely no one, so he's perfect for Jack Burton.

No.
caruso_stalker217

PreviousNext

Return to Movie News