Kubrick Bares All

All the dirt. All the top secret stuff. Anything that has to do with the process of getting us to sit and watch something projected on the big screen.

Kubrick Bares All

Postby Flumm on Wed Oct 26, 2005 5:54 pm

Source: Guardian Unlimited by: JoBlo

This is a pretty cool treat for any major movie fan, and even moreso, for all major fans of writer/director/auteur extraordinaire Stanley Kubrick, who passed away back in 1999. According to his widow Christiane, Mr. Kubrick's archives, which are apparently "one of the most comprehensive collections of film production materials in the world", will be housed (for everyone to see) at the London arts school from the summer of 2006. "Boxes of scripts, research documents, correspondence, costumes, props, models and film equipment will be displayed at the University of the Arts' London College of Communication for public viewing and student research, the college announced Monday." Christiane, who along with her daughter Katharina, has made my day on more than one occasion by emailing our website about our ongoing TRIBUTE TO STANLEY KUBRICK REMEMBRANCE PAGE, said also that the archives "...have a depth and breadth that we wanted to make available so that future generations have an understanding of the way that Stanley worked." You can read more about this bit of very neat coolness HERE.

Sounds fascinating to me... would you guys go if you had the opportunity? I wonder if it becomes popular like some museam exhibitions, would they take it abroad?
Last edited by Flumm on Wed Oct 26, 2005 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Flumm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Adam Balm on Wed Oct 26, 2005 5:56 pm

Very cool.
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby John-Locke on Wed Oct 26, 2005 6:11 pm

I would love to have a poke through his things, I wonder if they still have his Camera & Special Lense that he used for Barry Lyndon? the one that can shoot beautifully with only candlelight.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby Flumm on Wed Oct 26, 2005 6:19 pm

I remember reading this book, from the screenwriter of Eyes Wide Shut, about his involvement with the movie, and his relationship with Kubrick. It was really interesting to get a sense of how he worked..

I'm trying to think of how to describe him, but it's difficult to convey how he came across actually...

... I would reccomend reading the book if you can find it, it was called, Eyes Wide Open: A Memoir of Stanley Kubrick and "Eyes Wide Shut". it's worth a read if you're at all nterested in Kubrick, and if you can stand the slightly embittered, snooty tone of the author Frederick Rapheal.
Last edited by Flumm on Wed Oct 26, 2005 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Flumm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Wed Oct 26, 2005 6:21 pm

Where's Octaveaeon when we need him?
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Adam Balm on Wed Oct 26, 2005 6:30 pm

Why do you hurt me?
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Wed Oct 26, 2005 6:33 pm

I actually kinda liked him.

Sure, he was an condesceding ass-fedora, but at least it was a film discussion. (by discussion I mean that Octaveaeon was right and all of us are idiots).

I hope he's doing well in whatever cult took him in.
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Adam Balm on Wed Oct 26, 2005 6:39 pm

I believe the Gods of the Inferno have taken care of him.
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TonyWilson on Wed Oct 26, 2005 6:44 pm

Ah I felt sorry for the guy, he thought he'd found his niche and we, for the most part called him a pretentious ass, although he kinda was.

These archives sound fascinating, I read an article in the Guardain Weekend magazine a couple of years ago about the archives, how they were stored in terrapins all over Kubricks land. He had EVERYTHING in them. From when he was aphtographer in New York right up to all the very newest work on robotics.
I am there asap.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Re: Kubrick Bares All

Postby ZombieZoneSolutions on Wed Oct 26, 2005 7:41 pm

Flumm wrote:Sounds fascinating to me... would you guys go if you had the opportunity?

HELL YEAH!

Flumm wrote:I wonder if it becomes popular like some museam exhibitions, would they take it abroad?

oh please oh please...

Kubrick is my closest approximation of god.
ZombieZoneSolutions
AIRWOLF

Postby Flumm on Wed Oct 26, 2005 8:01 pm

I still have a large biopgraphy buried somewhere on my large stack of "to read" books beside my bed, I think it's due a good read before this exhibit thing happens next summer.
Flumm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fried Gold on Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:11 pm

STANLEY KUBRICK’S NAPOLEON: A LOT OF WORK, VERY LITTLE ACTUAL MOVIE

He was going to try and stage the battle using 50,000 soldiers on loan from the Romanian army.

You could make it yourself if you want, as every single bit of information pertaining to the project has recently been published in the form of a book called Stanley Kubrick’s Napoleon: The Greatest Movie Never Made. It’s ten books in one (literally, with nine books sitting inside one enormous carved out fake book), limited to 1,000 copies, and costs £450. All the location scouting photos, all the research pictures, costume tests, correspondence with historical experts, Kubrick’s script – everything’s in there.

There's a good interview with Kubrick's assistant (and producer of the book) on that page.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Seppuku on Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:03 pm

So...no naked pics of Kubrick caught sunbathing at the beach? :(

The world really does need one perfect Napoleon project, so I kind of wish that had come to pass. Waterloo didn't quite cut it.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby The Vicar on Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:04 pm

Waterloo was okay....poorly directed, but Steiger did well as did Plummer.
A lot of people and horses died making that one, though.
I liked the scene where Ponsonby and Uxbridge snort up the "blend" Ponsonby's father used to get from some dude in Alexandria.
"Savage stuff, Ponsonby...."
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Return to Movie News