Meet Shane Black (Now w/ 100% more Doc Savage!)

All the dirt. All the top secret stuff. Anything that has to do with the process of getting us to sit and watch something projected on the big screen.

Re: DOC SAVAGE

Postby TheButcher on Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:36 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:59 am

From Variety:
Columbia revives Doc Savage - Pulp fiction hero was popular in the 1930s, '40s
TATIANA SIEGEL wrote:Columbia Pictures is set to return to the Bronze Age.

Studio is bringing Doc Savage -- known as the Man of Bronze and hero of pulp novels, films and comicbooks -- back to the bigscreen.

Shane Black is attached to direct the film from a screenplay he is penning with Anthony Bagarozzi and Chuck Mondry. Neal Moritz ("Fast and Furious") will produce through his Sony-based Original Film banner.

One of the most popular characters in the pulps of the 1930s and '40s, Doc Savage was also popularized on radio, film and TV. Trained since birth to be nearly superhuman in every way, Doc Savage uses his skills and powers to fight evil all over the world.

"Doc Savage is an icon, a character with limitless possibilities," said Columbia co-president Matt Tolmach of the character, who is by turns a scientist, physician, adventurer, inventor, explorer and researcher. "We have had a great experience working with Neal to bring another classic character of the era, the Green Hornet, to a new generation of fans, and we think he and Shane make the ideal team to bring Doc Savage back to the bigscreen."

Black, who was one of the highest-paid scribes of late '80s and early '90s when he penned such screenplays as "Lethal Weapon" and "The Long Kiss Goodnight," segued to directing in recent years. He made his helming debut with the Robert Downey Jr. starrer "Kiss Kiss Bang Bang" (2005).

He's also known for his vast collection of antique detective books and pulp fiction.

Bagarozzi and Mondry's credits include "Cold Warrior" and "Tick-Tock," which is in development at Columbia.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Random Movie News

Postby minstrel on Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:25 pm

OK, so I don't see anybody talking about the possibility of a Shane Black-directed Doc Savage film here, even though Harry put an "update" thingy on the main page. I am looking forward to this, having been a fan of the pulp stories back when I was a kid. I had about 30 of the paperback versions of the novels. They were badly written and very hastily plotted, and Doc's five assistants ("the five greatest minds ever assembled in one group!") were there mostly for comic effect, but still, there was a kind of innocence and period charm about the stories.

But I've been reading the talkback, and mostly people want Dwayne Johnson to play Doc. He'd be great, I think, in about twenty years. Doc, as depicted on the covers of the books I had, was an older dude, though still VERY well-muscled. One guy in the talkback pointed out that Stephen Lang in Avatar looked very much like Doc on the book covers, and I'd rather see Lang as Doc rather than the Rock.

What say you, Zoners? Have any of you ever even heard of this material?
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby so sorry on Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:37 pm

minstrel wrote:What say you, Zoners? Have any of you ever even heard of this material?

I have not :( ... wish I could participate in a discussion about it!
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Seppuku on Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:44 pm

minstrel wrote: Doc, as depicted on the covers of the books I had, was an older dude, though still VERY well-muscled.

Doc Savage would be a perfect vehicle for Epic Beard Man's first screen role.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby Ribbons on Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:45 pm

minstrel wrote:OK, so I don't see anybody talking about the possibility of a Shane Black-directed Doc Savage film here, even though Grande Rojo put an "update" thingy on the main page.

What say you, Zoners? Have any of you ever even heard of this material?

http://zone.aintitcool.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=16772&p=739084#p739084

I'm casually familiar with Doc Savage, although I'm more interested in the fact that Shane Black is involved than the material itself. That said I don't think a period piece really suits him well, even though most of his films involve some element of pulp.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby minstrel on Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:39 pm

Ribbons wrote:I'm casually familiar with Doc Savage, although I'm more interested in the fact that Shane Black is involved than the material itself. That said I don't think a period piece really suits him well, even though most of his films involve some element of pulp.

I think it has to be period, because way back then there were still parts of the world that were mysterious to western science and exploration, and that kind of setting made for cool pulp stories. If you set a pulp story in modern times, you have closed down a lot of really interesting story ideas. Leave the modern-day stuff to James Bond and other more modern heroes. Take Doc Savage to the wilds of Antarctica and darkest Africa and South America and Siberia and the China Seas. Make it exotic and strange, not commonplace and available on Google Earth.
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Re: Meet Shane Black (Now w/ 100% more Doc Savage!)

Postby Ribbons on Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:55 pm

Yeah, you have a point there minstrel. A story like this probably has to be period (or in spaaaaaaaaaace). I have a hard time picturing it coming from Black, but he's got chops, so hopefully he can pull it off.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby so sorry on Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:02 pm

minstrel wrote:Take Doc Savage to the wilds of Antarctica and darkest Africa and South America and Siberia and the China Seas. Make it exotic and strange, not commonplace and available on Google Earth.

See there is the ultimate challenge. The fact of the matter is that very little is exotic and strange to us anymore. The filmmaker has to make this a period piece without it looking cheesy...
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:18 pm

I always regarded Shane Black for writing his own source material stories. At least he had that going for him. Oooooh how the Pioneering promise Black showed seems to fade with every news story....
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Nachokoolaid on Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:53 pm

I thought KISS KISS BANG BANG was amazing. Still my favorite performance from Downey Jr (havent seen Sherlock Holmes) and my second favorite Kilmer performance (behind Tombstone). They're chemistry was great on screen, and that Monahan girl was smoking hot.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Shane Black's Death Note

Postby TheButcher on Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:48 pm

DEADLINE EXCLUSIVE:
Warner Bros Taps Shane Black For Japanese Manga 'Death Note'
MIKE FLEMING wrote:Warner Bros has hired Shane Black to direct a live action adaptation of the Japanese manga series Death Note. Black will oversee a script that’s being written by Anthony Bagarozzi and Charles Mondry, his accomplices on Doc Savage, a drama he'll direct for Sony Pictures Entertainment. Dan Lin, Roy Lee, Doug Davison and Brian Witten are producing Death Note.

Written by Tsugumi Ohba and illustrated by Takeshi Obata, Death Note was originally published in Japan and later collected in 12 trade paperbacks that have sold more than 38 million copies worldwide. The protagonist, Light, is a bright student who stumbles across a mystical notebook that has the power to kill any person whose name he writes in it. Light decides to launch a secret crusade to rid the streets of criminals. Soon, the student-turned-vigilante finds himself pursued by a famous FBI criminal profiler known only by the alias L. Death Note is wildly popular in Japan and has been turned into live action and animated films, an animated TV series, novels and vidgames. The trio of live action films were distributed by Warner Bros Japan. Warner Bros acquired the manga rights from Shueisha and previously got a script draft from Charley and Vlas Parlapanides.

Death Note was the favorite manga of Black, who made his directing debut on Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, the 2005 cult favorite that helped re-launched Robert Downey Jr.’s star. I’ve been covering Hollywood long enough to recall those heady 1990s days when Black became Hollywood’s spec script king. After landing $250,000 for Lethal Weapon, a script he sold right out of UCLA, Black's subsequent scripts sent studios into a frenzy. Black was paid $1.75 million for The Last Boy Scout and then set a record with the $4 million New Line paid for The Long Kiss Goodnight. He and Basic Instinct scribe Joe Eszterhas played a game of can-you-top-this that made for late nights for this journalist, and an excitement that just doesn’t exist in the business that rarely gets competitive enough for studios to bid up anything. One of the reasons Chris Nolan got so much industry respect for Inception was because he gambled on himself and wrote that film on spec.

“I remember how it used to feel, like the entire agency lit up over at Endeavor,” Black told me. “My agent, David Greenblatt, would say, let’s get to work on this, and more and more agents gravitated toward the room and soon the negotiations became like watching a football game.”

It’s hard to imagine any writer in his twenties not being impacted by the money and stature, but it became a stigma. Black became blocked as a writer for several years, getting away from the typewriter to travel, and have a life. “You can imagine people reading that stuff, and getting on the bus to LA with scripts, ready to hit the jackpot, but the idea that specs were lottery tickets wasn't true then and it's not true now. The money was terrific, but I never thought about that. Do you think Chris Nolan was writing Inception and thinking, this will be a good paycheck? To me, it was about, do you care about this enough to carry the ball all the way through, writing alone in the attic and saying, my mom will love this, because that was all you could count on.”

It bothered him back then that other writers didn't see it that way: “A friend nominated me to be part of the writer’s branch of the Motion Picture Academy, which I thought would be nice because I could vote for the Oscars. At that time, you needed two produced credits. I had seven, including the Lethal Weapon films. They said I was 'unsuitable for membership at this point.' I hadn’t personally offended any of these people, and I thought, boy these guys must be really pissed at something. It had to be all that publicity about the money. In their eyes, I was the guy seeking a payday, which I wasn’t. The humorous extension of that is, of course they would have turned down that money, because they had too much integrity. I begged out for awhile, wanting to be known for the work and not how much it cost. Nowadays, I’ve got a girlfriend, a nice place to live. The writing process was so agonizing for me, so lonely, that the addition of a couple people in my life I can trust as writing/producing partners has freed me up tremendously. And when you get older, you stop being such a baby. At 49, I can look at it as a high quality problem and not complain the way I used to.”

Black has also found directing to be a way to have the kind of control he did when he was banging out specs, only it's a lot more fun because he's not alone anymore. That was the great revelation of Kiss Kiss Bang Bang.

“When I started writing, a lot of the fun and success was not knowing what you weren’t supposed to do," Black said. “But I eventually discovered what I really wanted to do was write specs I could direct. I’ve worked with some great filmmakers, but I can’t imagine at this point in my life wanting to hand off something, since I’ve already thought through how to block it. The key was realizing I could do it, that there was nothing preventing me from doing it. I was writing all these gags with Robert Downey Jr, and it was the most fun I’d ever had. It was as if I’d been on the front lawn digging ditches and somebody opened the door and invited me in for champagne.”

Black isn't sure which project he'll next direct. There are also a couple of spec ideas rolling around in his head, and he wants to revive an old one with his friend Joel Silver, producer of Lethal Weapon and Kiss Kiss Bang Bang. Black admits he has been happily distracted by studios offers existing properties like Doc Savage, a seminal influence in his childhood days. He's got the same passion for Death Note.

“It’s my favorite manga, I was just struck by its unique and brilliant sensibility,” Black said. “What we want to do is take it back to that manga, and make it closer to what is so complex and truthful about the spirituality of the story, versus taking the concept and trying to copy it as an American thriller. Jeff Robinov and Greg Silverman liked that.” Black’s repped by WME and GreenLit Creative.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:38 pm

Doc Savage Movie Chatter - Shane Black talks up his planned pulp movie.
Jim Vejvoda wrote:Filmmaker Shane Black was at Long Beach Comic Con over the weekend, where he chatted with Comic Book Resources a bit about his long-gestating Doc Savage movie at Sony.

Not sure who exactly the Man of Bronze is? Doc Savage was a scientist, explorer, adventurer, inventor, physician and researcher who had bronze hair and skin and had trained himself to near superhuman levels of perfection. Author Lester Dent, who popularized Doc Savage through a series of novels under Street and Smith Publications' house name "Kenneth Robeson," once described Clark "Doc" Savage Jr. "as a cross between 'Sherlock Holmes with his deducting ability, Tarzan of the Apes with his towering physique and muscular ability, Craig Kennedy with his scientific knowledge, and Abraham Lincoln with his Christliness.'" Doc relied on an array of gadgets and non-lethal weapons, as he didn't believe in taking human life.

Black said "if we do Doc Savage, the challenge is make it adult. I think that there are so few practitioners of action movies these days who are doing worthwhile stuff that it behooves me to try to weigh in and try to do the Raiders Of The Lost Ark-type stuff, to try to recapture the magic. When I stood in line for a summer movie when I was coming up at eighteen, nineteen, twenty years old, I stood in line for two and a half, three hours and you got the goods! They delivered! And if they didn't, you went outside and said, 'Arg, 'Indiana Jones 2' wasn't that good, I stood in line for three hours!" Now, you don't know what you're getting!"

The Iron Man 3 co-writer and director added, "There's just, I think, a decrease in the quality of these types of comic book action movies, and so it's almost irresistible, sometimes, to try and shore that up a little, or weigh in at least with my opinion about what's wrong and how it should be. It's not the next thing I want to do. I want to do something more serious, a smaller movie at some point. I'm sure there's a Winter's Bone in my future. But for now, I've immersed myself in comics. I do want to do Doc Savage. The script is still evolving and I'm kind of busy, but I want to get it right and I want to do it."
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:10 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Tue May 07, 2013 7:11 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:05 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:25 am

IGN Video:
DOC SAVAGE - SHANE BLACK INTERVIEW

Movie 'Doc Savage' Will Be Less Limited, Less Perfect, Says Director
The "Iron Man 3" director says that the movie incarnation of the pulp hero will be "more cerebral" but also "true to the series."
Graeme McMillan wrote:He succeeded in making Tony Stark a little more human in Iron Man 3, but can even Shane Black make the big-screen Doc Savage into a character that mainstream audiences will embrace? He's opened up about what he sees the character -- and his world -- becoming in the new movie.

"Obviously in the books, there's an element of goody-goody that we like," Black told IGN, "But that kind of perfect hero who never makes mistakes is great to a point, and the type of adventure and pulp it represents is so imitated. … We needed something more cerebral."

He went on: "We've beefed up the rationale behind what it would take to be the perfect person and to be trained as such from childhood and how that would scar someone and what it would take to be a parent who is capable of inflicting that on a kid. But beyond that, we're also trying to be true to the series."

Of course, one thing that may cause more problems that writing a new Doc Savage is finding an actor to play the role. "They kind of gotta be tall. He's the perfect physical specimen and when people look at him, they're overawed by the sort of symmetry and perfection he exudes," explained Black. "You need someone magnetic and someone a little bit off because that's the fun of the character. He's been secluded from people and kept from any social niceties for so long that he's become a savant."

Black has been working on the movie since 2009, but in light of his success this summer with Marvel's third Iron Man movie, Sony stepped up the timeline on the project. Before the movie debuts, the character will return in comic book form, with a new series from Dynamite Entertainment launching in December.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Fri May 06, 2016 4:07 am

Shane Black gives us a sneak peak at how he plans to adapt 'Doc Savage'
There are few films I am more eager to see someone actually make
Moriarty wrote:One of the subjects that we discussed before, during, and after the actual taping is how Black plans to tackle Doc Savage, a film that has my full attention. I grew up loving the original pulp stories, and when they started the latest series of reprints of the original Kenneth Robeson/Street & Smith material, I picked up as many as I could lay hands on. The Bantam paperbacks in the ‘60s and ‘70s were the ones I initially read, and I dearly love the iconography of those covers that James Bama created. Even so, I don’t think the character has ever been pinned down to just one visual interpretation, which gives Shane Black a fair amount of room to figure out what he’s going to do when he makes his movie.

He’s been working on this one for a while now, and it sounds like they’re still working to get the script to a place where Black is satisfied. I’m not sure where you would even start to build the world of that movie, because modern audiences aren’t really prepped for pure straight-from-the-tap pulp. We talked about what that means to Black and why he’s eager to do this project, and I really liked his perspective on things.

While I don’t think they’ve gotten to the actual casting stage yet, it was fairly clear in our post-interview chat where his head is right now, and as a frustrated Jack Reacher fan who realized he was talking to another frustrated Jack Reacher fan, I was delighted to hear that Shane Black considers Dwayne Johnson to be a self-contained special effect who could help sell the idea that Doc Savage is unlike any other person on the planet. That is not meant to be a scoop, though. It’s more a look at how Black is approaching this character.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Mon May 30, 2016 5:20 pm

Dwayne Johnson Is Confirmed for Shane Black’s ‘Doc Savage'
"Here's the #1 reason I'm excited to become Doc Savage.. HE'S A F*CKING HILARIOUS WEIRDO!"
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Previous

Return to Movie News