TERRY GILLIAM stuff

All the dirt. All the top secret stuff. Anything that has to do with the process of getting us to sit and watch something projected on the big screen.

TERRY GILLIAM stuff

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Tue Nov 01, 2005 7:45 pm

Went to the Terry Gilliam talk and Q&A at the London Film Festival tonight.

Brilliant talk. Terry's very friendly, funny, and honest.

He mostly talked about the trouble he had with his films. Trying to get his vision made, his battle with so many producers. He went over other subjects about himself and his movies. A good run down of most of his filmography.

A Q&A session followed and I was lucky and fast enough to get my question in.

Would you like to know more?

Any questions about the talk, Terry Gilliam and his films, The Brothers Grimm and upcoming projects i'll be your host and speaker tonight, you can be my audience. Err, even though I'm gonna turn in soon, and be away tomorrow helping my Mum set up her Mac. Yeah that'll be straightforward.

Put your questions here anyway, I'll get back to you and I'll return.

I promise.
Last edited by Cpt Kirks 2pay on Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby John-Locke on Tue Nov 01, 2005 7:48 pm

What's happening with Don Quixote?
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Tue Nov 01, 2005 7:50 pm

Terry pleased all of us by saying that it still is trying to be made. It ain't given up on. He and Johnny Depp still very much want to make it, and are trying to get it going again. Terry wants Johnny to finish with his Pirates movies and try to get him free.

So don't worry. Terry wants this movie to be made more than anyone.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Brocktune on Tue Nov 01, 2005 8:02 pm

every time i watch "The Fisher King", i always feel like jeff bridges is really playing terry gilliam. kind of like how jodie foster was really playing carl sagan in contact, but better. like jack's demons were terry's or some shit like that. did he talk about that at all?
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Tue Nov 01, 2005 8:11 pm

What's the word on Tideland? Has it been picked up?

Did he mention anything about not even having a chance to talk with the producers of His Dark Materials?

Has he been approached about possibly doing a Harry Potter film?
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Tue Nov 01, 2005 8:15 pm

I was dissapointed that they never really talked about The Fisher king or show a clip from it like with other of his films. They didn't include it as a run down they did with his films. It's maybe my favourtie of his films and one of my all time faves anyway.

Didn't talk about Jack's demons and Hellish traumas, or his so called 'redemption'. What he did say was that he was a bit troubled that everyone talked about Robin Williams and Mercedes Ruhel rather that Jeff. Terry said that Jeff Bridges was the heart and soul of the film and carried it. He was the film basically.

I'm sorry I can't comment or add anything to your questions, I don't want to ignore it or palm it off. I'm gutted I didn't get more talk about the film's sadness and the fight for redemption, which what was all about the characters.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Tue Nov 01, 2005 8:16 pm

keepcoolbutcare wrote:What's the word on Tideland? Has it been picked up?

Did he mention anything about not even having a chance to talk with the producers of His Dark Materials?

Has he been approached about possibly doing a Grande Rojo Potter film?

He said Tideland is coming out soon. So yeah, it's been 'picked up' by a distributor, if that's what you mean.

Nothing on Dark Materials.

Harry Potter. Are you kidding me?
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Tue Nov 01, 2005 8:21 pm

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:
Grande Rojo Potter. Are you kidding me?

Rowling wanted him for the first film.
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Tue Nov 01, 2005 8:26 pm

Holy Sheet. You gutted me!!! I didn't know that.

No mention on HP. What he did say was that he doesn't want to do scripts which he thinks any other director or 10 other directors could make. He likes to do waht he thinks only he could do, or the scripts that are leftover that others are passed on (dunno if he meant that last bit as a joke).
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Brocktune on Tue Nov 01, 2005 8:31 pm

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:IWhat he did say was that he was a bit troubled that everyone talked about Robin Williams and Mercedes Ruhel rather that Jeff. Terry said that Jeff Bridges was the heart and soul of the film and carried it. He was the film basically.

thats exactly how i feel. dont get me wrong, ruehl and williams are outstanding, but jeff bridges is a fucking genius. he is one of the greatest actors of our time. i never cease to be amazed by his work. in the fisher king, he rips my fucking heart out.
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Tue Nov 01, 2005 8:35 pm

Brocktune wrote:
Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:IWhat he did say was that he was a bit troubled that everyone talked about Robin Williams and Mercedes Ruhel rather that Jeff. Terry said that Jeff Bridges was the heart and soul of the film and carried it. He was the film basically.

thats exactly how i feel. dont get me wrong, ruehl and williams are outstanding, but jeff bridges is a fucking genius. he is one of the greatest actors of our time. i never cease to be amazed by his work. in the fisher king, he rips my fucking heart out.

Yeah, I agree. His pain isn't as noticeable as Williams'. My fave part is when Williams' wakes up from his coma, and asks if he can start missing his wife again, and Jeff Bridges who has been laying there - cries I think.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Brocktune on Tue Nov 01, 2005 10:05 pm

thats one of the best things about the fisher king for me. the emotion is so real, and honestly conveyed. usually, gilliams stuff tends to be a little more off the wall (for lack of a better term). i so identify with the depth of suffering and joy and indecision and despair that all 4 of the main characters go through. if i didnt know any better, id swear gilliam was out to prove that he could tell just as good of a story about reality, as he could about imagination and fantasy. i feel jack's pain. i suffer with him when i watch. i thank god for terry gilliam. i thank god for terry gilliam, and for any artist that has the balls to see their dreams through to fruition.
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby docfalken on Tue Nov 01, 2005 11:07 pm

Did Gilliam talk about the future of film at all? I'm curious if he has any thoughts about web based films or being able to shoot his ideas without the need of a $30 million budget and producers.
docfalken
HAGGIS?!?!!?!!?!

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Tue Nov 01, 2005 11:35 pm

He talked about Digital film and that it opened up the doors to more film makers out there. He said that this was a good thing and a bad thing, as not many people out there he considers talented. The ones that do make it, are the ones that truly love film and keep at it, whereas he saw many talented film makers that should have made it big but didn't due to their distractions and not enought interest.

$3o million dollar budget hea said were the films that were sort of middle of the Hollywood budgeting in terms of the 100 - 1 million dollar budgets and the ones that suffered the most, as it's neither worth spending that money if it won't potentially make that much whereas a 100 million dollar is expected to make more profit, as are the 1 million crowd.

He said that he'd prefer more 1 million dollar types of films as these might profit the greatest in terms of money earned out of all these budgets, and obviously he wanted to see more. He also said that he hasn't seen anything new or anything that had blown him away in absolutely ages. The last thing he DID see that did so was Kung Fu Hustle. I think he said that with more low budget films, this might happen.

Nothing about web based films though.

PS. Love your Avatar, you lucky man. Coooool sheeeet.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby athenabodicea on Tue Nov 01, 2005 11:50 pm

How do you get to go to all these wonderful things?
ImageImageImage
athenabodicea
GEEK GODDESS

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Wed Nov 02, 2005 7:04 am

You know what, anyone can go to them. The London Film Festival is open to anyone who can pay, it's that simple - and not very expensive.

Wherever you are, what country you're in or major city you're near to, you have Film Festivals or Film Events similar to this or on different levels, New York Film Festival etc., or if you can even make it to Sundance etc. you can get into these kinds things easy.

Just gotta pay.

By the way, did you know that Tom Cruise really wanted to screen test for the main part in Brazil, so did Terry as Tom was highly recommended and Terry really liked him also? But Tom Cruise's suits, power people whatever, told him he couldn't as they didn't want any early video footage of his early career or screent tests to be lurking in the vaults as he was about to become really big.

Tom Cruise was virtually crying when he phoned Terry to tell him he couldn't do it. Eve nat that stage in his career, Tom was already being controlled by his power people. Sorta feel sorry for him considering his limitations on the roles he wants to play.

Johnathon Pryce who had been pestering Terry GIlliam for the part, finally convinced him to let him test, even though Terry said he was too old for the part at 30+ at the time. But when he saw Pryce's test Terry loved it, and thus he got the job.

I think Johnathon Pryce is I guess, perfect for the part.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Wed Nov 02, 2005 7:53 am

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:He talked about Digital film and that it opened up the doors to more film makers out there. He said that this was a good thing and a bad thing, as not many people out there he considers talented. The ones that do make it, are the ones that truly love film and keep at it, whereas he saw many talented film makers that should have made it big but didn't due to their distractions and not enought interest.

There's a lesson in there somewhere
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Wed Nov 02, 2005 8:18 am

Elaborate man. What kinda lessons are you thinking about? Whereabouts in that quote is it making you think about this? Let's discuss. First I gotta go to the toilet..

Musn't....

let....

the....

PZ.....

addiction.....

STOP ME!!!!!

Oh, too late, I'm getting Turtle Head already!!!! (Do you guys understand what Turtle Head is?
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Wed Nov 02, 2005 1:09 pm

I sure do - I'm going home in a minute - only just seen your response.

But guess what? For the first time in recorded history - I'll be back here when I get home - and then I'll tell you why I think there is a lesson to be learnt from Gilliam's comments
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby The Ginger Man on Wed Nov 02, 2005 2:16 pm

I met Terry Gilliam a few times when I use to live in Austin. Also met quite a few girls who dated him....

wait....no, I didn't.
The Ginger Man
Hong Kong Drizzle

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Thu Nov 03, 2005 10:45 am

OK - just to elaborate - I found this comment quite interesting: <i>The ones that do make it, are the ones that truly love film and keep at it, whereas he saw many talented film makers that should have made it big but didn't due to their distractions and not enought interest</i>

Because it implies two things: firstly, if you have aspirations to work in a creative capacity in the film industry, you must never, ever give up. Secondly, it also implies that even if you are the type of person who has no problem at all with being persistent, you must try to objectively assess how much talent you actually have, and decide whther you really have something different and special to offer.

See, we all "truly love film" and I imagine most of us are the type of people who "keep at it" - but are we actually any good? If, say, I wanted to be a writer, have I bothered to actually get some proper constructive feedback on my writing before I start trying to tout it every production company in the western world?
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Thu Nov 03, 2005 9:13 pm

Thing is, if we keep questioning this when trying to do this job, we're gonna find that we can't make one single step without over analysing it, and we'll just end up scared with every frame we shoot or word we write. It's what forced me to give up a long time ago. Criticism this, criticism that.

Now, whenever I try to do something, I don't give a shit whther I'm good or not. I just do it.

The best way to be a film maker I reckon, is to simply enjoy it. You're love for the movies will encourage anything good out of ya. Hopefully you'll have enough talent for the things you do, if not enough to do any more. But hopefully what you CAN do is enough.

Now quit you're pissing and moaning. Semper Fi. Get on with it. Shoot the scene will ya, Veronica Bloody Zemonova.

By the way, did you know that terry Gilliam was gonna shoot The Watchmen, some time ago? But he passed on it as he said that there was no way he could cram it into a 2 hour film. TV series might be better. Then again TV series might be better than too short running films, period.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby athenabodicea on Thu Nov 03, 2005 9:16 pm

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:You know what, anyone can go to them. The London Film Festival is open to anyone who can pay, it's that simple - and not very expensive.

Wherever you are, what country you're in or major city you're near to, you have Film Festivals or Film Events similar to this or on different levels, New York Film Festival etc., or if you can even make it to Sundance etc. you can get into these kinds things easy.

Just gotta pay.

By the way, did you know that Tom Cruise really wanted to screen test for the main part in Brazil, so did Terry as Tom was highly recommended and Terry really liked him also? But Tom Cruise's suits, power people whatever, told him he couldn't as they didn't want any early video footage of his early career or screent tests to be lurking in the vaults as he was about to become really big.

Tom Cruise was virtually crying when he phoned Terry to tell him he couldn't do it. Eve nat that stage in his career, Tom was already being controlled by his power people. Sorta feel sorry for him considering his limitations on the roles he wants to play.

Johnathon Pryce who had been pestering Terry GIlliam for the part, finally convinced him to let him test, even though Terry said he was too old for the part at 30+ at the time. But when he saw Pryce's test Terry loved it, and thus he got the job.

I think Johnathon Pryce is I guess, perfect for the part.

Oh never mind.... I thought you were something special :wink: ...

I mean, er, um... You are something special alright... And I just love that geek goddess bag... Did you see it?? *wink* *wink* *nudge* *nudge*
ImageImageImage
athenabodicea
GEEK GODDESS

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Thu Nov 03, 2005 9:26 pm

athenabodicea wrote:[quote=

I mean, er, um... You are something special alright... And I just love that geek goddess bag... Did you see it?? *wink* *wink* *nudge* *nudge*

You must be real gutted to hear this man, coming from ME, but this is one of the few instances where EVEN I could not understand a word you just said!!!!!!

"Sorry, I'm afraid I don't quite follow you." (Terry Jones, Nudge Nudge sketch, voice)
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Thu Nov 03, 2005 9:38 pm

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:By the way, did you know that terry Gilliam was gonna shoot The Watchmen, some time ago? But he passed on it as he said that there was no way he could cram it into a 2 hour film. TV series might be better. Then again TV series might be better than too short running films, period.

That and Man of La Mancha were his dream projects.

I thought it was classy that he realized that there's no way to do the Watchmen justice in a mere 2hrs.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby athenabodicea on Thu Nov 03, 2005 9:41 pm

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:
athenabodicea wrote:[quote=

You must be real gutted to hear this man, coming from ME, but this is one of the few instances where EVEN I could not understand a word you just said!!!!!!

"Sorry, I'm afraid I don't quite follow you." (Terry Jones, Nudge Nudge sketch, voice)

You mean I pulled a Kirks 2Pay on Kirks 2pay...??? Go to AICN's shopping guide... lol
ImageImageImage
athenabodicea
GEEK GODDESS

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Thu Nov 03, 2005 9:49 pm

Just been there. I'm not seeing anything there that's relevant. What is it that you want me to find?

"Are you selling something?" (Terry Jones, Nudge Nudge sketch, voice)
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby athenabodicea on Thu Nov 03, 2005 9:54 pm

ThisIsTheGirl wrote:IPAMPILASH - That is just too perfect for you, Athena! If you don't buy it for yourself, I'm sure you could persuade Kirk to part with his cash.....

GoHere

about half way down the page...
ImageImageImage
athenabodicea
GEEK GODDESS

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Thu Nov 03, 2005 10:04 pm

Geek Goddess bag? What's this got to do with me? I'm not getting it.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby athenabodicea on Thu Nov 03, 2005 10:12 pm

ThisIsTheGirl wrote: I'm sure you could persuade Kirk to part with his cash.....

Meaning I could get you to buy it for me... Oh never mind... It was just a joke... Jeez and cheese whiz...
ImageImageImage
athenabodicea
GEEK GODDESS

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Thu Nov 03, 2005 10:14 pm

Why would you think that I'd buy it for you?

"Are you selling something?" (Terry Jones, Nudge Nudge sketch, voice)

You are, aren't you?
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby athenabodicea on Thu Nov 03, 2005 10:17 pm

I didn't think that.. I was only pretending to kiss your ass because of the post stating I may be able to get you to buy it for me.....

HELLO????
Can you hear me now???
ImageImageImage
athenabodicea
GEEK GODDESS

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Thu Nov 03, 2005 10:44 pm

Why didn't you just ask?
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Brocktune on Thu Nov 03, 2005 10:47 pm

man, its like athena is trying to talk to you in sign language captain, but you are blind.
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby athenabodicea on Thu Nov 03, 2005 10:50 pm

Brocktune wrote:man, its like athena is trying to talk to you in sign language captain, but you are blind.

You mean he's blind???
I thought you said deaf.....
ImageImageImage
athenabodicea
GEEK GODDESS

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Thu Nov 03, 2005 10:54 pm

Why don't youi all talk in a language that I can understand?

MODERATORS, HEE-EELP!!!!
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Flumm on Thu Nov 03, 2005 11:01 pm

We're addicted to the sweet look of agony in you're eyes.

You're confusion is our 6th food group.

Infact, I can't take my porridge anymore, without a pinch of Captain Kirks2Pay emotional distress to sweeten it up a tad.

You've done wonders for my bowel movements Kirk, you should be proud really.
Last edited by Flumm on Thu Nov 03, 2005 11:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Flumm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Brocktune on Thu Nov 03, 2005 11:05 pm

athenabodicea wrote:
Brocktune wrote:man, its like athena is trying to talk to you in sign language captain, but you are blind.

You mean he's blind???
I thought you said deaf.....

no, because our beloved captain keeps misunderstanding you, so i thought it was like a deaf person trying to talk to a blind guy, but in sign language. you know a total miscommunication.
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby athenabodicea on Thu Nov 03, 2005 11:06 pm

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:Why didn't you just ask?

Will you get me the pretty geek bag if I get the whole "Parrot" thing straightened out for you? *wink* *wink* *nudge* *nudge*
ImageImageImage
athenabodicea
GEEK GODDESS

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Thu Nov 03, 2005 11:11 pm

athenabodicea wrote:

Will you get me the pretty geek bag if I get the whole "Parrot" thing straightened out for you? *wink* *wink* *nudge* *nudge*

(Long pause of silence). I'll have to ask your fa-ther.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby athenabodicea on Thu Nov 03, 2005 11:20 pm

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:
athenabodicea wrote:

(Long pause of silence). I'll have to ask your fa-ther.

Oh that's so sweet... :wink:

But my dad is a dick really...
ImageImageImage
athenabodicea
GEEK GODDESS

The Man Who Killed Don Quixote

Postby TheButcher on Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:24 pm

John-Locke wrote:What's happening with Don Quixote?

From Hello Magazine: Johnny Depp planning to take another chance on 'Don Quixote' 27 JULY 2008
Seven years after abandoning their first attempt, Hollywood heart-throb Johnny Depp and film-maker Terry Gilliam are trying once again to shoot the film The Man Who Killed Don Quixote.

Based on the Cervantes novel, the film stars Pirates of the Caribbean actor Johnny as an advertising executive who travels back in time.

In one of the most incident-prone shoots ever, the original attempt to film the flick suffered a variety of accidents, including the set being washed away by a flash flood and one the lead actors taking ill. After just five days of filming, Monty Python star Terry was forced to pull the plug on the project.

Since then, the failed movie has found fame as the subject of 1992's hit documentary Lost In La Mancha.

According to a source, the two men, who made Fear And Loathing In Las Vegas together, are now confident that they can finish the production this time.
Last edited by TheButcher on Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: I talked with TERRY GILLIAM!

Postby tapehead on Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:49 pm

Coherent chronology is beyond the journalists at Hello magazine? Lost in La Mancha would have been around 2002.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Maui on Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:10 pm

Wow, what a bizarre thread.
Maui
WoWie

Postby Fievel on Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:56 am

Would you expect anything less in a thread about Terry Gilliam?
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Maui on Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:41 pm

Fievel wrote:Would you expect anything less in a thread about Terry Gilliam?

Well, I guess not.
Maui
WoWie

Postby Bob Samonkey on Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:02 pm

Maui wrote:
Fievel wrote:Would you expect anything less in a thread about Terry Gilliam?

Well, I guess not.

Needs more Lynch...
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

The Man Who Killed Don Quixote

Postby TheButcher on Mon Aug 04, 2008 4:59 pm

From The Independant: Pandora: Don Quixote rides again, says delighted Gilliam
Ever since Johnny Depp and Terry Gilliam were forced to abandon filming on The Man Who Killed Don Quixote, eight years ago, fans have speculated about the project's recovery.

Last week they were given hope when rumours of a revival surfaced.

Now Gilliam tells me the resurrection could be closer than we think.

"As far as we're concerned, it's on," he confirms. "When Johnny's ready, we're ready. We're just talking about dates to film. Basically it all depends on his schedule but otherwise we're set. It will be next year some time, before next summer anyway."

Filming first began way back in 2000 but was blighted by an eerie sequence of accidents. Military fly-overs drowned out the dialogue, flash floods washed away the set, and then one of the film's stars, the French actor Jean Rochefort, was taken ill, having to be airlifted to hospital after suffering a hernia. Insurers decided to pull the plug, making it one of the most costly – not to say notorious – cinematic projects of all time.

In spite of a recent legal decision to award Gilliam rights to the script, he has decided to start the project afresh.

"We're going to completely reshoot it," he says. "The intervening years have taught me that I can actually write a much better film. I'm so excited it's going to get done at last."
Last edited by TheButcher on Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby John-Locke on Mon Aug 04, 2008 5:12 pm

I wonder if he's still going to shoot in Spain or at the least bring set builders/crew from other countries, then only the Spanish Airforce & the weather could fuck this up
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby Fried Gold on Mon Aug 04, 2008 5:45 pm

The Lost in La Mancha makers must be gearing up for a sequel.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Next

Return to Movie News