The V for Vendetta Posters 4/4 [now with Kong!]

All the dirt. All the top secret stuff. Anything that has to do with the process of getting us to sit and watch something projected on the big screen.

Posters should not be afraid of thier poles...

Poster 1 (AICN)
6%
Poster 2 (IGN)
38%
Poster 3 (UGO)
19%
Poster 4 (MTV)
No votes
King Kong
38%

Total votes : 16

The V for Vendetta Posters 4/4 [now with Kong!]

Postby Flumm on Wed Nov 16, 2005 2:41 am

Harry posted this on the main page...

Hey folks, Harry here... with a very old school very post WWI but pre WWII German expressionistic poster design for V FOR VENDETTA - and now this is what a Alan Moore film One Sheet is supposed to look like. Right? Style, history, mystery and awe all wrapped up in a poster that is more than just filmic propaganda, but striking powerful composition and imagery. I dig the hell out of this poster, don't you? It's nice, but I think it is odd that I get to debut this poster on the same day that the German Expressionistic Sci Fi Masterpiece of Poster Art for Fritz Lang's METROPOLIS set the world record for highest price ever paid for a movie poster: Click Here For the Story! Well, here's that V FOR VENDETTA poster:

...and one of the talkbackers has said that it's 1 of 4, so I'll keep the thread updates for you y'all.

(what? They say that in england... they do!)

I like it, I'm still not convinced on the realworld version of V's mask, but I think the poster is really interesting... what do you guys think?

Poster 2!

Poster 3!

Poster 4!
Last edited by Flumm on Thu Nov 17, 2005 4:59 pm, edited 10 times in total.
Flumm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby athenabodicea on Wed Nov 16, 2005 2:51 am

NICE!!!!!!
ImageImageImage
athenabodicea
GEEK GODDESS

Postby Ribbons on Wed Nov 16, 2005 3:50 am

That poster is awesome
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby magicmonkey on Wed Nov 16, 2005 6:18 am

That poster makes me spooge.
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby magicmonkey on Wed Nov 16, 2005 6:24 am

The trailer, however, did not. Hughes brothers, Wachowski brothers... first dibs on the farrelly brothers doing the Watchmen.
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby Pacino86845 on Wed Nov 16, 2005 6:31 am

Yeah, if they could have somehow pulled off this sort of look in the trailer it would have interesting... rather than the polished Matrix look they ended up with.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Wed Nov 16, 2005 6:52 am

OOOOooooooooooooooooooooooohhhh!

Me like

Mask looks fine to me.

SHIT! this has got me excited, I think I'll re-read this tonight - it'll be the first comic I've read in months
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Wed Nov 16, 2005 9:01 am

Natalie Portman still looks great even bald. She is the new Keira Knightley, only better.

I was one of the extras in the bit where the guy fawks crowd burn the houses of parliement. This was the only job I didn't get payed for though, as I forgot to sign out as I was too busy trying to chat up the wardrobe man eating lady.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Pacino86845 on Wed Nov 16, 2005 9:03 am

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:Natalie Portman still looks great even bald. She is the new Keira Knightley, only better.

Funny you should say that, Kirk, since Keira more or less got her start in the movies as Nathalie Portman's look-alike in The Phantom Menace or Attack of the Clones... one of those two.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Wed Nov 16, 2005 9:18 am

I was an Extra on them as well.

Natalie is an incredible charming, very loud and full of life young girl. Quite intelligent too.

Maybe that's why she was looking at me from time to time on our dinner table (seemingly). But then again, in everyday life anyone, even blokes or kids, old grannies, etc. look at you from time to time. On trains, bus, dole queue, magistrates court room etc. Don't mean that they all fancy you though.

Wishfull thinking eh? Keep repeating, 'Just 'cos it doen't happen, doesn't mean it isn't true'.

You keep telling yourself that Kirk.

Do you think the Wachowski brothers will do this film justice? I don't want it to be too OTT.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Wed Nov 16, 2005 9:39 am

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:Maybe that's why she was looking at me from time to time on our dinner table (seemingly). But then again, in everyday life anyone, even blokes or kids, old grannies, etc. look at you from time to time. On trains, bus, dole queue, magistrates court room etc. Don't mean that they all fancy you though.

IPAMPILASH
Don't be so sure - I bet she longs to be around non-celebs sometimes. Mind you, it's too late now, eh? I like to think that I would have at least had a go, in that situation. You know, shown her some of my MC Hammer moves or something
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby ZombieZoneSolutions on Wed Nov 16, 2005 10:24 am

yeah, i think the poster looks fantastic...

i hope the actual film is as good!

i have been in love with Natalie Portman for years. beautiful
and intelligent? *sigh* she's perfect...

Keira Knightly is gorgeous, but don't you get the feeling
she is as dumb as a stump? Ms. Portman is a goddamn Harvard
graduate (almost)... she's perfect... i love her... YOU WILL NOT
TAKE HER FROM ME!!!

(oops, sorry, channeling misplaced jealousy and rage to a
fantasy romance that will never happen... *sigh*... oh well...)
ZombieZoneSolutions
AIRWOLF

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:25 am

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:Maybe that's why she was looking at me from time to time on our dinner table (seemingly)

Kirk's Brain: Holy crappa she's a looking right at me! I better smile, eh?

Natalie Portman's Brain: Holy crappa I canna stand a that putz... why do alla the extras think they can a hit onna me, eh? I gonna have a to talk to a Rick anna George... OH GOD HE SAW ME LOOKING ATTA HIM! Oh great, he's a SMILING atta me! EWWW! I can see a the bits of a the Shepherd's Pie inna his a teeth! Grody to a the MAX!
DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:31 am

ISOMDILASH
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DennisMM on Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:25 pm

It's a very nice bit of design, but to me it has about as much subtlety as the trailer. "Freedom! Forever!"? V would never say something so trite, and I assume it's V's POV we're getting here.

Why is Portman shaved? If the script follows the original plot, she'll have plenty of hair until halfway in and grow it out reasonably quickly after being shaved. Both trailer and poster have played up the shaving too much; it's supposed to be a shock to Evey and to the audience.

I'd like to see more of the storm troopers, definitely more of the V/Anarchy symbol, and perhaps the "People should not be afraid of their governments ..." line. I don't love it, but it's miles above "Freedom! Forever!"

I've always been fond of the original DC Comics line: Fascist Britain, 1997. Everyone knows you can't beat the system. Everyone but V (with an appropriate image -- the troops and a V CU would do well, I think).
Last edited by DennisMM on Wed Nov 16, 2005 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:42 pm

I hear ya Dennis....always loved that image:

ETA: It's the way V is defined by shading, gives it quite a creepy look
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby magicmonkey on Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:50 pm

Freedom, Forever! Damn, you remind me of that rumour of him talking in words all beginning with v. Is there truth to that? Got I hope he doesn't just turn out like a Matrix character like the Machiavallian... A slightly bigger budget pantomime of doctor who proportions. The horror.
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby doglips on Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:52 pm

They should have just updated that image for the movie poster.....

That typeface is about a thousand times better suited to the V for Vendetta title than the one the movie poster has got........

And the credit placing is really lazy design..........

I worry for this film...........

Can the Wachowski brothers be trusted?

Edit: the second poster is much better...........
Last edited by doglips on Thu Nov 17, 2005 5:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby DennisMM on Wed Nov 16, 2005 6:21 pm

ThisIsTheGirl wrote:I hear ya Dennis....always loved that image:

ETA: It's the way V is defined by shading, gives it quite a creepy look

Image deleted to save space. Look above, pals and gals!

Shading is, I think, Lloyd's genius. There seemed to be little plain linework in the series. Everything was about shadow. This was downplayed a little towards the end when the art was drawn with color in mind, but shade remained a significant factor in shaping objects.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM

Postby so sorry on Wed Nov 16, 2005 6:34 pm

meh...
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Coldfire24 on Wed Nov 16, 2005 6:39 pm

I really need to read the comic before the movie comes out.
Coldfire24
AIRWOLF

Postby Flumm on Wed Nov 16, 2005 6:44 pm

You really really do there mate.

It's a landmark really...

You want to get in there and read it, before the images and additional ideas of the film, take away from the experience...
Flumm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Coldfire24 on Wed Nov 16, 2005 6:46 pm

yeah me too. To this day I can't read fight club. Palanuick is one of my favorite authors. I've read about everything he's written but the movie I mean it just I just can't read it now.
Coldfire24
AIRWOLF

Postby The Garbage Man on Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:10 pm

I would say in the case of Fight Club, reading the book is not as essential as it usually is with book-to-movie adaptations, since the movie is so faithful to both the spirit and the letter of the book.

Personally, I've found reading a book first taints the movie, since I always "direct" the film version in my head, and what ends up on screen never lives up to what I've imagined. That's ruined my enjoyment of a few that are good movies but poor adaptations of the source material. See: The Count of Monte Cristo, The Bourne Identity, The Bourne Supremacy, and many more.
The Garbage Man
AIRWOLF

Postby Brocktune on Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:16 pm

im sure im in the minority here, but i fear the wachowski brothers. style over substance rarely works for me.
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Ribbons on Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:18 pm

Here's another of the 4 posters:

EDIT: I'm just gonna link you guys to it since it's pretty big.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Flumm on Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:29 pm

Cheers Ribbons, I'll add the link to the first post, and when they're all done, maybe I'll add a Poll for you poll hungry animals.

EDIT: The second poster seems a step up from the first actually. I like it...
Last edited by Flumm on Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Flumm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Ribbons on Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:33 pm

There's another one on MTV.com, but it's in Flash format.

So far I think I like the first one the best. The second one makes the best use of that "Lloyd-esque" shadowing that Dennis and TITG were talking about though.
Last edited by Ribbons on Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby DennisMM on Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:37 pm

That second poster is German Expressionism redux. The quickly famous photo of Natalie now makes her look like Cesare the Somnabulist in The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari.

ETA: Also like the zombie head on the original Dawn of the Dead poster.

Both poster 2 and poster 3 show V as a line drawing. Edit to Clarify: In poster 1 V looks like a painting. Does the mask look that bad?

Again, why "Freedom! Forever!"? Better something about anarchy, coming from V's mouth.
Last edited by DennisMM on Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DennisMM

Postby Ribbons on Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:42 pm

DennisMM wrote:Again, why "Freedom! Forever!"? Better something about anarchy, coming from V's mouth.

I don't think the posters are trying to convey the tone of V for Vendetta, I just think they're supposed to get people's attention with their boldness, perhaps raise interest in the thing. It's sorta Revolution Chic, if you ask me; these posters seem like the kind of T-shirts you'd find at Hot Topic.

I'm trying to think of a way to describe the "Freedom! Forever!" thing, but all I keep thinking of is "Amandla!"
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby DennisMM on Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:48 pm

Ribbons wrote:I don't think the posters are trying to convey the tone of V for Vendetta, I just think they're supposed to get people's attention with their boldness, perhaps raise interest in the thing. It's sorta Revolution Chic, if you ask me; these posters seem like the kind of T-shirts you'd find at Hot Topic.

I'm trying to think of a way to describe the "Freedom! Forever!" thing, but all I keep thinking of is "Amandla!"

Good point. The phrase is just jingo, though, and that turns me off.

How 'bout -- I am an anti-Christ! I am an An-ar-chist!

I wonder if the bit with the eucharist made it into the movie. Betcha $20 it didn't.
DennisMM

Postby The Garbage Man on Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:52 pm

Agreed.

I love the second poster, and would consider buying it regardless of the quality of the movie, but that tagline... ugh...
The Garbage Man
AIRWOLF

Postby DennisMM on Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:54 pm

The Garbage Man wrote:Agreed.

I love the second poster, and would consider buying it regardless of the quality of the movie, but that tagline... ugh...

The second poster is great, but I won't buy it with the tagline.
DennisMM

Postby Brocktune on Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:55 pm

dont know what i want but i know how ta get it
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Ribbons on Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:57 pm

See, I think the tagline and the style of the posters go together. I don't get what all the outrage is about.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Adam Balm on Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:58 pm

I'm just happy to have movie posters with some grandeur to them. The movie posters of the last 20 years have just been photos of actors' faces staring into the camera.

That said, how many protestors/revolutionaries call for something forever? Don't they usually want it now?
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DennisMM on Thu Nov 17, 2005 12:00 am

I think I object to the beauty of the posters being defaced with such simple, offensive jingo when there are any number of decent lines they could use. Aside from a few nuts and monsters, who among us doesn't want freedom forever?
DennisMM

Postby Adam Balm on Thu Nov 17, 2005 12:02 am

I agree with the sentiment. Yet I can't think of a single catchphrase to replace it.
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DennisMM on Thu Nov 17, 2005 12:04 am

Adam Balm wrote:I agree with the sentiment. Yet I can't think of a single catchphrase to replace it.

We aren't paid hundreds of thousand of dollars each year to come up with or appropriate them. I'm certain there's something in V itself, and had I time I'd find it.
DennisMM

Postby Flumm on Thu Nov 17, 2005 12:20 pm

ThisIsTheGirl wrote:
Flumm wrote:It's funny you say that TITG. I've been going back checking for updates about the V for Vendetta posters, and I've eneded up watching the V trailer a couple of more times... and as muchas I love what he did with Smith, it just seems to me that his English accent, is more than a little awkward...

Anyways, I don't have any themes or anything running on the desktop, but in the past, the very best one I've found, was a HAL from 2001 based thing...

...hearing "daaaaisy daiisssssy..." as you logged off, really did put a smile on the face.

HAHA - years ago, I used to use "my mind is going" as my shutdown sound!

I haven't heard him attempting an English accent in V, but when I was a very young boy, there was a fantastic TV show about the infamous "Bodyline" test match series between England and Australia back in (I think) the 1930s.

Weaving played the English captain, Douglas Jardine, and he did it pretty expertly. Of course, you must remember that I was about 6 when I saw this - but my dad absolutely loved the program, so as far as I know, he does have some history when it comes to impersonating English accents! Maybe he's lost his touch after all this time, eh?

I really dunno why they never repeat Bodyline, especially after such a great year for English Cricket!

Just kind of continuing a conversation that developed on the Star Wars thread...

If you find the time TITG, I would check out the trailer again.

Putting the accents aside for a second, one of the things I noticed about watching it again, is how much the imagery, and style feels a lot like the Matrix...

...while the graphic novel obviously stands on it's own merits... there's several moments that ring bells...

For instance there's a clip of a slow close up on V's boots, as he slowly steps into a room... there's an interrogation scene with a defiant prisoner by the institutional badguy... there's the parrell shots of evey in the rain, and V in a firey door way, and in it V looks like Smith from the "It's MY World, MY world...* scene in Revoloutions... the generic uniformed bad guys V is beating the crap out of look and feel a lot like the generic uniformed bad guys from, well you know where... not to mention the shaved head, although I guess that's not quite the same.

:roll:

I don't know if this is a good or thing or not, but I hope the movie has enough identity to stand up on it's own, in the same way that the source material does.

Just to add some balance, I thought that Portman's performace looked really great from certain beats in the trailer. The shots of her being interrogated, are not in the least bit amature...

And for those among you who enjoy this sorta thing, the hangman game at the V website, is actually pretty entertaining for what it is. It's no Dino Kong... but the way they have designed it is petty cool...

...check it out here, while we wait for the last poster from the glibs from UGO.
Flumm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Ribbons on Thu Nov 17, 2005 12:55 pm

What. The. Fuck?

If you say t.he, it comes out the.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Thu Nov 17, 2005 1:01 pm

WOW - Flumm, I'm not even gonna attempt to read that till this little problem has been sorted!
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Flumm on Thu Nov 17, 2005 1:09 pm

You should have seen my face when I first posted it!!! I was like...

"Eh? A spoonfull of sugar, helps the medicine go down?!...

:shock:

...but, I didn't take any medicine..."

(Dam, if Dr3w had done this, than I would have unashemdley used Mori Poppins)
Flumm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Flumm on Thu Nov 17, 2005 3:02 pm

At last...

All four of the V for Vendetta posters are up, and they are at the very least provocative ... the final one just up by UGO (listed as the 3rd by the official website, so it's the same here) is very simple, but at the same time very well done. If you haven't already, check them out...

Poster 2!

Poster 3!

Poster 4!
Flumm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby John-Locke on Thu Nov 17, 2005 3:24 pm

Well done MTV they have done it again, what a poor excuse for a website it is. Yeah I can see the poster but even when you look at the fullscreen version it's just the smaller one blown up on Flash, what utter Bullshit.

I voted number 2, number 1 is cool but Natalie Portman looks more like a man, Number 3 was my favourite except for Portman rubbing her buzz cut which looks like THX or something, and the MTV one sucks donkey dick.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby Adam Balm on Thu Nov 17, 2005 3:37 pm

These posters are like a boner made out of punching.

I'm not to keen on the Wachowskis these days, but these are the coolest posters I've seen in years. Brilliance.
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Flumm on Thu Nov 17, 2005 3:43 pm

Yeah the MTV site is chronically bad. How many people are they employing to tell them that that crapfest is even worth running?

And I'm never going back to UGO, they pretty much put the poster up a day later than everyone else. I can't imagine that was for anything other than to wring as much traffic out of the situation as possible.

I'm not gonna waste energy and get angry at them though, ... at the end of the day, we did get some fecking cool posters...
Flumm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Adam Balm on Thu Nov 17, 2005 3:46 pm

KING KOOOOOOOOOONG!!!!

I will now boycott any poll that does not have that as an option.
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Thu Nov 17, 2005 3:51 pm

The Dino, he's a still holding out for a the Kong option, eh?
DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN

Postby Flumm on Thu Nov 17, 2005 3:53 pm

Ask, and ye shall receive...

on the next poll, it cut me off :(
Flumm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Next

Return to Movie News