Superman Returns Teaser Trailer (Now Online!)

All the dirt. All the top secret stuff. Anything that has to do with the process of getting us to sit and watch something projected on the big screen.

Postby Flumm on Fri Nov 18, 2005 2:03 pm

You guys press quote? My tactic for reading mini text, is just to copy and paste it into the reply box...

And Whedon....

Forced? Interesting.... Is that a set piece in itself??
Flumm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Adam Balm on Fri Nov 18, 2005 2:08 pm

So am I to understand...

that Krypton never blew up?
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MasterWhedon on Fri Nov 18, 2005 2:21 pm

MINOR SPOILERS

Flumm-o, I wouldn't call it a set piece per se. There's no big action scene with alien spaceships or anything. It's much, umm, simpler than that. Let me put it this way: he's not so much forced back to Earth as he is compelled to get away from Krypton. (This all happens within the first five minutes, so I'm really not spoiling much.)

Balmy, Krypton was most definitely destroyed, but very large chunks of it are still floating out there, all blowed up. Supes finds one of the big pieces.
Last edited by MasterWhedon on Fri Nov 18, 2005 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby tfactor on Fri Nov 18, 2005 2:31 pm

why are we talking small?

is it because this is secret stuff?

my eyes hurt
tfactor
KING SMARMY

Postby Adam Balm on Fri Nov 18, 2005 2:32 pm

It's a bit of an 'inviso-text' equivalent, that they do on the main AICN site.
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby darthevilbob on Fri Nov 18, 2005 2:46 pm

Adam I agree with you, that was almost a shot for shot remake of the fan teaser trailer? Scary, or just Singer thinking "wow thats cool, lets use that" I think only about 25% of that trailer was different? (even the music was the same)

I wasn't that impressed with it, only cause ive seen most of it before (see my comments about fan trailer)

Still I guess it was ok, but like the ROTS trailer, it really didn't show that much (teasers pah!)
darthevilbob
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby MasterWhedon on Fri Nov 18, 2005 2:55 pm

Thing about the fan trailer is that it was comprised of a combination of the Comic-Con footage and the BlueTights Blogs, both of which are handled by Singer and Warners. They'd already been releasing teasers for the teaser some time ago, so it's no wonder that somebody else put the dots together in a very similar fashion.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby Adam Balm on Fri Nov 18, 2005 2:58 pm

Yeah, but the exact same musical cues and everything. Was that same music on the comic-con footage?
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MasterWhedon on Fri Nov 18, 2005 3:01 pm

I actually don't know. Closest I ever got to seeing that was the "20 Hours in LA" Blog.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby Adam Balm on Fri Nov 18, 2005 3:04 pm

Am I being stupid, or is it possible that the first 'fan trailer' was actually genuine. I.e., their first cut for what would become this trailer?
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MasterWhedon on Fri Nov 18, 2005 3:10 pm

Nope, you're being stupid.

Honestly, the fan trailer was pretty well put together, but it was really just knowing when to fade in and out of black.

I suppose it's possible it could've been a rough test, but the lack of any new material is what does it for me.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby Adam Balm on Fri Nov 18, 2005 3:12 pm

Good point. Nevermind.
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby bluebottle on Fri Nov 18, 2005 4:21 pm

thanks Dennis for you answer regarding the music.

Hey, I still have my Superman 2 vinyl (which is only one record) and my 2 record Star Wars vinyl (complete with pictures 'n stuff)...

I just don't have a record player...

And MW, thanks for the info, but i have one HUGE question that has been plaguing me since the announcement of this film.

are there any villains other than Luthor in this film?
bluebottle
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Flumm on Fri Nov 18, 2005 4:25 pm

Oh yeah Whedon, never thanked you for the information mate, tis much appriciated. It's handy having our own Superman Returns insider on campus huh?

Oh, and...

...it's childishly entertaining writing and reading mini-text

Tee hee.
Flumm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MasterWhedon on Fri Nov 18, 2005 4:27 pm

MINOR SPOILER re: Lex

Blue...

Nope, he's the guy. And he's pretty damn awesome. He's a really great mix of Donner's version and the Trump-like mogul from the comics and animated series. By that, I mean he's still a straight, occasionally silly villain, but he's got some serious cash.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby MasterWhedon on Fri Nov 18, 2005 4:28 pm

Flumm wrote:...it's childishly entertaining writing and reading mini-text

Tee hee.

Flumm-o, you're such a jokester.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby bluebottle on Fri Nov 18, 2005 4:31 pm

MasterWhedon wrote:MINOR SPOILER re: Lex

Blue...

Nope, he's the guy. And he's pretty damn awesome. He's a really great mix of Donner's version and the Trump-like mogul from the comics and animated series. By that, I mean he's still a straight, occasionally silly villain, but he's got some serious cash.

Thanks, Whedon, that sounds awesome. I get more and more excited about this movie every day.

I may burst.
bluebottle
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Eric G on Sun Nov 20, 2005 8:37 pm

I can't stop watching this bloody teaser...... way, way in the back of my head I had doubts about this movie. I didn't want to acknowledge them, cause I love superman so damn much....but after seeing the teaser, and that last shot, I can't wait for this. ! Don't really see too much (yeah..teaser, I know) but I like the music they chose, and hearing Marlon Brando was like listening to the voice of God.
Again....that last shot; WOW.

....obsessmuch?

and what the hell is the meaning with the word joyous popping up in every one of the posts the Zoners seem to post? Is it only in the Superman thread or is the word now a part of the Zone? Like Harry?
Eric G
AIRWOLF

Postby Adam Balm on Sun Nov 20, 2005 8:44 pm

Yeah, whatever claims Singer has made about this movie standing on its own, being respectful to both Smallville and the Donner Superman movies, this IS clearly a sequel to the Donner movies.
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DennisMM on Mon Nov 21, 2005 8:35 pm

I just looked at it again and, damn, if that isn't Donner redux. Routh's body language when he steps towards Bosworth is almost identical to Reeve's first meeting with Kidder. I don't know what to call it except a near-hesistation as he takes his first step.

This thing has started giving me goosebumps.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby Adam Balm on Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:27 pm

You see the latest production diary, Dennis? Lex even wears a toupee.

Yeah, Singer's clearly doing Donner. And you gotta admire the marketing sense in them not saying so too loudly. Because they're trying to reintroduce the icon, for old fans and new alike.
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Eric G on Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:57 pm

DennisMM wrote:This thing has started giving me goosebumps.

I got the shivers the first time I seen it.

DennisMM wrote:Routh's body language when he steps towards Bosworth is almost identical to Reeve's first meeting with Kidder.

Almost identical? ....You'd be hard pressed to find a difference!
Eric G
AIRWOLF

Postby DennisMM on Tue Nov 22, 2005 12:09 am

I'm really starting to like the raised "S" shield.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM

Postby bluebottle on Tue Nov 22, 2005 12:53 am

i LOVE the logo... in fact, dare i say it????

I LOVE THE COSTUME!

I'm a big fan of the idea that the S logo is a kryptonian symbol, and i think that the costume makes Superman look less like a costumed superhero, and more like alien royalty.
bluebottle
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Eric G on Tue Nov 22, 2005 6:39 pm

I'm a big fan of the idea that the S logo is a kryptonian symbol

How could anybody think it wasn't? Because his name is Superman!? Fcukin simpletons. Am I wrong or don't we see the 'S' symbol in the first movie at the beginning on Krypton?

....Don't think I'm having a go at you; I agree with you.
Eric G
AIRWOLF

Postby bluebottle on Tue Nov 22, 2005 7:02 pm

dennis would know better than i, but i believe it wasn't until the 60's or 70's that the S was a kryptonian symbol. I believe in the early days, it was S for Superman.
bluebottle
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Eric G on Tue Nov 22, 2005 7:08 pm

Bluebottle wrote:dennis would know better than i, but i believe it wasn't until the 60's or 70's that the S was a kryptonian symbol. I believe in the early days, it was S for Superman.

Early days hey? S for Superman and Simple times.
Eric G
AIRWOLF

Postby Flumm on Tue Nov 22, 2005 7:09 pm

This teaser has grown on me so much. I was a little dissapointed with it when I first saw it, but now I've utterly fallen for it.

I can't wait to see this thing on a cinema screen. The use of the digital camera seems to have really paid off if you ask me, those clips from the Kent farm look sumptous to say the least.

To hear MArlon Brando's voice for the first time in a theatre, saying "..they could be agreat people Kal El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show them the way. For this reason above all - their capacity for good, I have sent them my only son..." is already giving me goosbumps.
Flumm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Tue Nov 22, 2005 7:11 pm

Oh man, it's always good to hear that music. I love it when they sneak it into episodes of Smallville sometimes.

I really hope they knock this out of the park
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby bluebottle on Tue Nov 22, 2005 7:12 pm

yeah, the first episode of Smallville that had Christopher Reeve in it made me weep for like five minutes - when they snuck the music in.
bluebottle
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MasterWhedon on Tue Nov 22, 2005 7:12 pm

Yeah, Flumm, I saw H@rry Potter last night for the second time and this thing REALLY rocked on the big screen. It was cool the first time I saw it, but I still had expectations. Now that I just gave myself over to it, it's pretty powerful stuff.

It's the music that makes it, especially over that shot of Supes flying up to the sun.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby DennisMM on Tue Nov 22, 2005 7:19 pm

The "S" was for Superman, G. The shield (as it's called) did not become a Kryptonian emblem until the 1978 movie. To my knowledge, it has never been a Kryptonian emblem in the comics.

Most of the comic-book Kryptonians we saw into the 1980s wore simple geometric forms. Jor-El wore a sun-like circle and a headband.

It was a different time. A character called Amazing Man had a big "A" on his costume. Mr. Terrific, the hero who was better at everything than you and most everyone else, had the words "FAIR PLAY" emblazoned across his chest. Captain America was given the "A" on his forehead. Robin's vest displayed an "R" in a circle, and the "R" is with him today.[/i]
DennisMM

Postby MasterWhedon on Tue Nov 22, 2005 7:20 pm

The new Superman: Birthright comic has the "S" as a Kryptonian symbol.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby Eric G on Tue Nov 22, 2005 7:20 pm

Bluebottle wrote:yeah, the first episode of Smallville that had Christopher Reeve in it made me weep for like five minutes - when they snuck the music in.

What season was that in? When you say first episode you don't mean the very first one do you?

Oh and thanks Dennis for clearing the 'S' thing up. :)
Last edited by Eric G on Tue Nov 22, 2005 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eric G
AIRWOLF

Postby DennisMM on Tue Nov 22, 2005 7:22 pm

Haven't seen that one; I'm not currently following much superhero stuff. I wonder if this has some connection to Infinite Criss?
DennisMM

Postby MasterWhedon on Tue Nov 22, 2005 7:24 pm

Nope, I think it was done as a new "re-imagining" of the classic origin story. It had Clark traveling the world as a reporter in his twenties. He pieced together a degree from a bunch of different schools and got involved with a revolutionary in Africa. There was some good stuff in there, but they made Martha into a UFO nut and tried to work in some of the Smallville mythos. Never did finish the thing, but it had some decent ideas.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby Eric G on Tue Nov 22, 2005 7:26 pm

Written by Mark Waid; art and cover by Leinil Yu and Gerry Alanguilan

The entire modern day retelling of Superman — from his early days in Smallville with Lana Lang and Lex Luthor, to his first meeting with Lois Lane, Jimmy Olsen and Perry White in Metropolis — is recounted in this lavish hardcover collection by writer Mark Waid and artists Leinil Francis Yu and Gerry Alanguilan! SUPERMAN: BIRTHRIGHT collects the best-selling, critically acclaimed 12-issue maxiseries of the same name and features an introduction by Smallville television producers Al Gough and Miles Millar, plus a sketchbook section showcasing Yu's development work in addition to notes by Waid. Witness the making of a legend, as Clark Kent learns the tough lessons needed to become the World's Greatest Hero! Also watch as Lex Luthor comes to Smallville, befriending Clark. But it's a relationship that may ultimately spell disaster for Metropolis and the Man of Steel.

Superman | 304pg. | Color | Hardcover | $29.95 US | ISBN 1401202519
Eric G
AIRWOLF

Postby DennisMM on Tue Nov 22, 2005 7:27 pm

A look at some Kryptonians in "The Supergirl from Krypton," Kara's origin. It's huge, so I'll post a link.

http://www.supermanartists.comics.org/s ... ion252.JPG
DennisMM

Postby DennisMM on Tue Nov 22, 2005 7:28 pm

Thanks, G. Didn't know it was collected. I didn't know it was finished! I'll have to put in on my list, as I like Waid's work a lot.

ETA: One of our sister libraries has it. I'll order it through them.
DennisMM

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Tue Nov 22, 2005 7:31 pm

DennisMM wrote:Mr. Terrific, the hero who was better at everything than you and most everyone else, had the words "FAIR PLAY" emblazoned across his chest.

That's hilarious!

Eric G wrote:What season was that in? When you say first episode you don't mean the very first one do you?

I think he came into it in Season 2 - as Dr Virgil Swann, in an episode called Rosetta
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby bluebottle on Tue Nov 22, 2005 7:33 pm

Eric G wrote:
Bluebottle wrote:yeah, the first episode of Smallville that had Christopher Reeve in it made me weep for like five minutes - when they snuck the music in.

What season was that in? When you say first episode you don't mean the very first one do you?

No, it was somewhere in the second season.

And Dennis! :) Thanks for being our comic guru!
bluebottle
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Eric G on Tue Nov 22, 2005 7:35 pm

my pleasure Dennis.

That space frigate in that first frame of the comic strip you posted looks similar to the rebel alliance ships from SW, though i can't see the full ship....and those kryptonian outifts.......there are no words.
Eric G
AIRWOLF

Postby Adam Balm on Tue Nov 22, 2005 7:36 pm

ThisIsTheGirl wrote:
DennisMM wrote:Mr. Terrific, the hero who was better at everything than you and most everyone else, had the words "FAIR PLAY" emblazoned across his chest.

That's hilarious!

He even has a song:

Terry, Terry Sloane.
Man of a thousand talents!
Terry, Terry Sloane.
His motto was fair play!
Terry, Terry Sloane.
Terry, Terry Sloane.
He's in the JSA--Fair play!
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Eric G on Tue Nov 22, 2005 7:40 pm

Thanks TITGirl and Bluebottle. I got onto Smallville 2 or 3 years after the first season. (I'm not much of a TV fan, so I wait for DVD's)
I didn't want to ruin the image of Superman I had by watching some half assed TV show like Lois and Clark!
But I watched the first half of Season 1 and was somewhat intruiged. Then i watched the rest of it and it had me wanting to know what was next. So I guess it's done it's job in hooking me in.
Eric G
AIRWOLF

Postby DennisMM on Tue Nov 22, 2005 8:16 pm

Adam Balm wrote:
ThisIsTheGirl wrote:

That's hilarious!

He even has a song:

Terry, Terry Sloane.
Terry, Terry Sloane.
His motto was fair play!
Terry, Terry Sloane.
Terry, Terry Sloane.
He's in the JSA--Fair play!

Wow! Adam, you are the master. I bow before you.

In James Robinson's wonderful The Golden Age, there was some speculation on how Terry Sloane could be so damned good at everything. Dirty tricks were implied.

The relatively cool (but most likely will seem ridiculous decades from now) current Mr. Terrific wears a Members Only jacket, more or less, and has a big "T" mask over most of his face. It's odd but interesting.

There also was a 1967 television show about an unlikely superhero, Mr. Terrific. It debuted on and last aired on the same dates as the year's other unlikely superhero show, Captain Nice.
DennisMM

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Tue Nov 22, 2005 8:28 pm

Hahahaha! That song is superb! I want my own song, too!
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DennisMM on Tue Nov 22, 2005 8:31 pm

There was an album in the '70s, "Songs and Stories of the Justice League," that was hilarious. Plastic Man's song is all I recall, and only a snippet:

Plastic Man, Plastic Man
The one, the original elastic man
He'll do anything that a (forgot) can do
The fantastic
Plastic Ma-a-a-a-a-a-a-an! Plastic Ma-a-a-a-a-a-an!
DennisMM

Postby bluebottle on Tue Nov 22, 2005 8:38 pm

hahahah... was that the theme for the plastic man cartoon, with baby-plas and hula-hula?
bluebottle
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DennisMM on Tue Nov 22, 2005 10:07 pm

No, this was not ready for Saturday morning.. Urgh.

ETA: Thank god for the internet:

http://www.comictreadmill.com/CTMBlogar ... l_ident=10

Even more ETA: Maybe I should try to stay on topic for a while.
DennisMM

Postby Adam Balm on Wed Nov 23, 2005 1:38 am

Upon hearing it, Mark Millar declared the title song the sickest thing he'd ever heard. True story.
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

PreviousNext

Return to Movie News