Spiderman 3 Villain Rumour

All the dirt. All the top secret stuff. Anything that has to do with the process of getting us to sit and watch something projected on the big screen.

Who do you want to see Thomas Hayden Church playing in Spiderman 3

The Chameleon
25%
Sandman
75%

Total votes : 16

Spiderman 3 Villain Rumour

Postby John-Locke on Wed Jul 27, 2005 8:45 pm

Click here to read the full article

Now I don't know a hell of a lot about The Chameleons back story but when Doc posted his Ideas for Villains the other day I did some research into all the possible Spidey Villains and The Chameleon did seem like something Raimi would go for, seeing as that he's a villainous version of Darkman to a certain extent.

Joshua originally posted the link but not many of us seem to be checking the news feeds as much as the random fun TBs.

Discuss if you feel the need. If not Bugger off and leave me alone ;-)
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby docfalken on Wed Jul 27, 2005 11:13 pm

Noooooooooo!!!!

JOSHUA knows all.
docfalken
HAGGIS?!?!!?!!?!

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Wed Jul 27, 2005 11:19 pm

I trust Raimi knows what he's doing.

Who thought Doc Ock would make a great villain before seeing the last one?

Raimi has proven that he respects, loves, and above all else CARES about Spidey...he wasn't some newbie to the comic, he grew up with it. We'll all bitch and moan 'bout how we don't want this, do want that, but Raimi's delivered back to back great superhero films. Have faith people.
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby The Ginger Man on Thu Jul 28, 2005 2:11 am

I don't buy it. Wouldn't Chameleon be the equivalent of doing a Superman movie where Toyman was the villian?

This is a 2 hour action film. Could "man with spider powers" vs "man who can look like anybody" really be interesting enough to fill that time?

God, I hope they haven't gone this way. Can Raimi pull it off? Yeah. Maybe. I guess. But fuck! This is Spider-Man! SHOW ME SOMETHING I HAVEN'T SEEN BEFORE! Like a man who can control his every atom like it was sand! I want to be awed.
The Ginger Man
Hong Kong Drizzle

Postby docfalken on Thu Jul 28, 2005 2:40 am

I'm going to stand by the Sandman. There is no way that they'd pick the Chameleon. Not with Mystique's parlor tricks already on display in the X movies.

Just doesn't make sense.
docfalken
HAGGIS?!?!!?!!?!

Postby banthafodderUK on Thu Jul 28, 2005 2:44 am

I know we're not allowed to hate. So I'll just say this- I really really really really really don't like the chameleon. I think he's shit.
wii code 0186 4330 3469 8398 use it mofo's!
banthafodderUK
AIRWOLF

Postby burlivesleftnut on Thu Jul 28, 2005 8:26 am

keepcoolbutcare wrote:Who thought Doc Ock would make a great villain before seeing the last one?

Um... me. Doc Ock, IMO is probably the GREATEST Spidey villain EVER.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby PVIII on Thu Jul 28, 2005 9:24 am

Venom! I can't believe no one thinks Venom could be pulled off. I mean the Sandman is such a dweeb. I'd rather see the Chameleon than Sandman.

PVIII
"It's an Illusion!"--GOB
PVIII
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby banthafodderUK on Thu Jul 28, 2005 9:31 am

I'd rather see Venom too- but out of Sandman or Karma Chameleon, the french-sailor sand-in-the-balls wins (I just hate the chameleon)
wii code 0186 4330 3469 8398 use it mofo's!
banthafodderUK
AIRWOLF

Postby WinslowLeach on Thu Jul 28, 2005 9:40 am

I chose Church as Sandy. I dont think Sam would go with Chameleon because he wants villains with more of a distinct Special FX persona. Chameleon just changes into different people and thats dull for a super villain imo.
WinslowLeach
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Thu Jul 28, 2005 9:57 am

burlivesleftnut wrote:
keepcoolbutcare wrote:Who thought Doc Ock would make a great villain before seeing the last one?

Um... me. Doc Ock, IMO is probably the GREATEST Spidey villain EVER.

Me too! Surely Doc Ock is the archetypal Spidey villain - even more so than the Goblin?

I'd actually like to see Kingpin show up in one of the Spidey films too - shit, use Michael Clark Duncan again if you have to - but Kingpin and Spidey hated each other.

Out of these two though - it's Sandman all the way!
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby The Ginger Man on Thu Jul 28, 2005 1:15 pm

I still think THC will play Sandy, but what about this. What if the rumor is true, just mixed up a bit. Topher Grace will play Chameleon, THC will play Kraven, and they'll both be the villains in SM3. The brother connection would give a (finally!) logical reason for 2 separate villains to be in a film together. It would also strengthen 2 villains that couldn't carry a movie on their own. If they went the way of the Chameleon, I'd be more happy with this set up. What do you guys think?

Another thought that just came to me. I've been trying to imagine Topher as a supervillain. He's a great actor, but hard to see him as a villain in an action film. But Chameleon was always (at least in my memory) kind of a sad villain. Weak, insecure, depressed. Hiding himself under other people's faces. Topher could play that character really well and maybe even make Chameleon not as...well, sucky.

That being said, I still think THC is Sandy and only have theories on who TG is playing.
The Ginger Man
Hong Kong Drizzle

Postby MasterWhedon on Thu Jul 28, 2005 1:39 pm

I always though Doc Ock would be a great villain. You remember the first time they fought in the animated series? The way those tentacles whapped around at Spidey--I thought that was pretty badass.

I voted for Sandman. You all remember that Spider-Man cover where Sandman's practically "drowning" him in sand on the beach? Such a cool image.

I think the character has so much potential. Remember some of the effects from the first Mummy movie? Imagine that, but cooler.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby docfalken on Thu Jul 28, 2005 2:45 pm

The real reason I believe that the Sandman is the next villian is that I recently bought a LeapPad book for my kids and it had Sandman, Electro, and Doc Ock.

I think the formula that Marvel has used is to keep the more famous characters to the forefront and wrap a story around it.

It would be like having Cable show up in the new Xmen out of the blue and therefore losing all of the 40 year old fans who never heard of the guy.

Sandman. Sandman.
docfalken
HAGGIS?!?!!?!!?!

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Thu Jul 28, 2005 3:30 pm

Perhaps I should have wrote "Who thought Alfred Molina would make a good Doc Ock?"

Let's say the rumor is true and Raimi will give us the Chameleon, Harry Osborne turns into Green Goblin II in the end of the film...so that leaves Topher Grace as (?) the main menace in this one.

Let's have a little Spidey lesson here kids...Chameleon appeared IN THE VERY FIRST SPIDER MAN...EVER! Raimi is a nut for Spiderman, so why wouldn't he want Spidey's first enemy? As to the Chameleon not having much in the way of powers, with Thomas Hayden Church playing him he would most likely be more of a comedic role.
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby docfalken on Thu Jul 28, 2005 5:25 pm

I had no idea he was the first enemy.
docfalken
HAGGIS?!?!!?!!?!

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Thu Jul 28, 2005 5:33 pm

yeah, he appeared in Amazing Spider Man #1, March 1963, in the second story. Raimi has been consistent in re-working the original stories.

The Sandman would be a better villain, but with Topher on board I see him more as the nemesis, with Chameleon for comedy.

But I think the rumor has been debunked, so who knows what's going on...I just place a lot of faith in Raimi. Not so much in Arad, but why alienate the guy who made two highly successful films, a guy who loves the character and mythos of the S-Man?
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MasterWhedon on Thu Jul 28, 2005 5:35 pm

Good post, keepcool, but for some reason I'm really resistent to the idea of the Chameleon. The first 30-min. episode of the animated series he was in was enough for me.

Sandman just feels like such an epic villain. Truth told, I don't even know the guy's alter ego or much of his backstory. I just see that wall of m-fin' sand from The Mummy coming after Spidey. I see sand pouring through cracks and grates and then reforming and swarming all at once. The possibilities just feel more cinematic to me.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Thu Jul 28, 2005 5:41 pm

but who's Topher gonna be?
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MasterWhedon on Thu Jul 28, 2005 5:46 pm

He's Jimmy the Pool Boy, works at the Osborne mansion. Harry dresses him up as Spider-Man and slaps him silly twice a day.

Umm, I mean...
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby burlivesleftnut on Thu Jul 28, 2005 6:09 pm

You want to know what I bet? I bet the hobgoblin or Green Goblin two wreaks havoc... and the whole time Peter believes (and the audience with him) that is Harry, but then it turns out to be someone else entirely.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby The Garbage Man on Thu Jul 28, 2005 6:20 pm

Apparently Church was on Leno last night, saying he's been working out for the past 4 months and he's already up to 185 pounds. Added to the fact that filming doesn't begin until January, making almost a full year of training, that sounds more like a Sandman-style body he's going for, rather than the much smaller Chameleon.

I think Hobgoblin/GG2 would be cool, but I'd much rather see the Lizard or Sandman in this one.
The Garbage Man
AIRWOLF

Return to Movie News