Planet Hulk Movie (Now w/ 50% More Thor Ragnarok)

All the dirt. All the top secret stuff. Anything that has to do with the process of getting us to sit and watch something projected on the big screen.

Planet Hulk Movie (Now w/ 50% More Thor Ragnarok)

Postby TheButcher on Tue Dec 06, 2005 11:47 am

Thread dedicated to the late Jack Colvin.*
"Mr. McGee, Don't Make Me Angry!" RIP Jack Colvin
Actor Jack Colvin, best known for his role as tabloid reporter Jack McGee in the 1970s TV series The Incredible Hulk has died at the age of 71, reports the Associated Press.

Colvin died Thursday in North Hollywood of complications following a stroke, said his longtime friend, actress Maaren Edvard, an instructor and administrator at Michael Chekhov Studio USA West, which was founded by Colvin.

Colvin had a long history as a stage actor when he was approached about the "Hulk" role in 1977. The series, based on the Marvel Comics character, aired on CBS until 1982.

"When they told me the title, I laughed. But then they gave me two scripts to read and I knew the series would go," he once told the Los Angeles Times.

Sources:
Super Hero Hype
My Way

He was great as Mr. McGee.

*This thread has been rebooted and turned into a news thread for the Hulk 2015 movie.
The Hulk to Get Stand-Alone Reboot in 2015
Last edited by TheButcher on Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:25 am, edited 10 times in total.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby DennisMM on Tue Dec 06, 2005 11:52 am

In what little I saw/read of him outside the show, he seemed like a decent sort. Sad to see him go.

Has there been a show, since The Incredible Hulk, built upon the premise of Les Miserables? The Fugitive was the classic, of course.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Tue Dec 06, 2005 12:12 pm

Why Dennis, how could a you forget a the one season of a the Fox's Werewolf? Onna the run, 2 transformations per episode, hunting a the man that a gave a him a the curse... tracked by a the bounty hunter...
DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Tue Dec 06, 2005 12:32 pm

What a dude - he had exactly the kind of face you expect an annoyingly persistent journalist to have!
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Re: Mr. McGee don't make me angry. RIP Jack Colvin

Postby TheButcher on Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:42 am

IGN HULKS OUT with the Incredible One himself! The Avengers Interviews: Mark Ruffalo

From Super Hero Hype:
April 17, 2010
Stan Lee and Avi Arad on Marvel Movies

Silas Lesnick wrote:Q: Are there any Marvel films you'd like to see rebooted?
Lee: Maybe the Hulk a little bit. Maybe. I'd like them to bring Daredevil back and try it again. I've always liked that character.

Q: Why the Hulk?
Lee: I think the Hulk should have been even a bigger hit than he was. Maybe if they have a third go-round he will be. I mean, he did well, but he should have been a smash.

TheButcher wrote:From Bleeding Cool:
Mark Ruffalo Touts An Avengers Trilogy Plus Standalone Hulk Film
Brendon Connelly wrote:Are we any closer to solving the great Marvel mystery of What Will Happen In 2017? Probably not, but here’s some interesting news on what the studio has planned in the interim.

Possibly breaking every confidentiality agreement they had him sign in a single breath, Mark Ruffalo has spilled some Avengers and Hulk sauce to Empire:

They set up several pictures over a couple of years and possibly there will be a Hulk movie. There’ll probably be a couple more Avengers too, which would be fun.

I don’t know what I can add to that, really – except for I hope all of these actors that Whedon has lined up for his Avengers crew can find some time between the superheroics for other movies. I’d hate to think the only way I see Robert Downey Jr., Jeremy Renner, Mark Ruffalo et al over the next few years is in comic book spin-offs.

From MTV:
Mark Ruffalo Contemplates Hulk's Big-Screen Future
Josh Wigler wrote:Mark Ruffalo is getting big, mean and green for "The Avengers" next month, giving us our third big-screen version of the incredible Hulk in 10 years. Hopefully, he'll be the one that sticks. By all accounts, Ruffalo's take on Hulk looks to be among the best of the bunch, and his colleagues have certainly poured out a lot of love on his behalf. I'm as excited as anyone to see him in the Marvel blockbuster, and I'm already starting to wonder whether or not we'll get the man back for his very own "Hulk" movie. Turns out, Ruffalo's been thinking about the same thing.

"Why not! It was the one character -- you know, I was a comic book fan when I was a kid and I always loved the Hulk. When The Incredible Hulk, that show, came on, I would not miss that. And so if I was going to find myself in that world, this would be the guy that I would be most interested in doing. To make a very short answer long: Yeah, I'd love to have him do his own movie."

Get a lot more of Ruffalo's thoughts on Hulk over at IGN Movies.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: "Mr. McGee, Don't Make Me Angry!" RIP Jack Colvin

Postby TheButcher on Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:49 pm

Kevin Feige Talks THOR 2, IRON MAN 3, CAPTAIN AMERICA 2, the AVENGERS Sequel, 2014/2015 Releases, Another HULK Sequel, More!
Steve 'Frosty' Weintraub wrote:After seeing what Mark Ruffalo did with the Hulk, does it open the door a little bit that maybe you’re like, “I might wanna do another Hulk movie?”

Feige: Look, that’s what I do for a living so every time I see a good take or a good storyline or read some good pages, I think, “Oh should we make a movie about this?” But with the Hulk we’re gonna play it very carefully. We had varying degrees of success on those first two movies, so we’re not gonna say, “Oh we did it! Another one!” We’re gonna be smart about it and play it out. There are no plans right now to do another Hulk. Hulk might be just the special guest in Avengers movies, who knows?
Last edited by TheButcher on Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:35 pm

Mark Ruffalo Talks 'The Avengers' & The Possibility Of Doing A Standalone 'Hulk' Film
Jeff Otto wrote:The Possibility of a Standalone Hulk Film
Assuming Ruffalo’s Hulk is met positively by the masses come May 4th, a solo Hulk movie seems like a reasonable enough assumption. But Ruffalo says no talk has really gotten past the brainstorming stages at this point. “There’s been sort of toying around with the idea but no one from Marvel or Universal has mentioned it to me,” says Ruffalo. “It’s probably premature. They’re about to make another 'Captain America' and another 'Thor' and another 'Iron Man.' I’m sure a third 'Hulk' is predominately undermined at the moment. But I’d entertain that, definitely for the right story.”
Last edited by TheButcher on Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:52 pm

'Avengers' Stars Mark Ruffalo, Scarlett Johansson on the Possibility of Hulk, Black Widow Spinoffs (Video)
After stealing scenes from established stars of other superhero franchises, Ruffalo and Johansson tell THR they're eager to take on films focusing only on their characters.
Last edited by TheButcher on Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:27 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: "Mr. McGee, Don't Make Me Angry!" BANNER

Postby TheButcher on Tue May 01, 2012 12:19 am

Is Marvel Changing Their Tune? Solo 'Hulk' Movie Being Eyed For 2015 Release According To Marvel Entertainment Head
Edward Davis wrote:There have been three iterations of Marvel's Incredible Hulk character onscreen not counting Bill Bixby and Lou Ferrigno's iconic portraits of the character on TV in the late 1970s. Universal and Ang Lee's 2003 take on the character starring Eric Bana is a fan favorite in some circles, but it was far from successful and in this writer's mind, wasn't at all good. Marvel Studios got the rights back to the character in time for a 2008 version of the film directed by Louis Leterrier and starring Edward Norton and while it features a strong first act and some good character work reportedly written and pushed by the star himself, the picture devolves into a clamorous third act that is a mess of action and nothing more. While this writer hasn't seen the third construction in Joss Whedon's "The Avengers" starring Mark Ruffalo as Bruce Banner and the titular green behemoth, by all accounts the character has seen thumbs up approval from critics and fans alike (read our most recent version of "The Avengers" review here).

Still, when asked recently if a third solo "Hulk" film could be on the horizon, Marvel Studios chief Kevin Feige pretty much confirmed that plan wasn't in the cards. "Well, no. This was [the character's] other shot, right?," Feige told the Huffington Post in reference to the Hulk In "The Avengers" film. "I mean, this was the third appearance of Hulk and everything that we had and were going for, we put in to Hulk's appearance in 'Avengers.' So, I love that people are saying that and are feeling that way about Hulk, but mission accomplished at this point."

Yet this runs contrary to a more recent interview in Forbes with Paul Gitter, Marvel Entertainment's President of Consumer Products for North America. Evidently the Hulk has been tracking so well in audience popularity thanks to "The Avengers" film Marvel are revising their game plan.

Forbes says Marvel executives have been “pleasantly surprised by the phenomenal response” to the green monster turned super hero, and expect this fan popularity to further grow once "The Avengers" hits on May 4th. “His sales are up in a major way. We repositioned him from where he was always misunderstood to now depicting him in a more heroic and aspirational manner,” Gitter told Forbes.

Forbes says, quoting Gitter, "that if the Hulk’s successful turnaround continues, Gitter says Marvel will 'spin him off to a stand-alone [TV] program next year,' supported by a big budget franchise movie in 2015." So the TV program, we knew (Guillermo del Toro is supposed to be an executive-producer), but a 2015 franchise movie is certainly a new idea. Would whoever starred in the TV show also star in the movie? Apparently Marvel is so over the moon with the emotional and impulsive Bruce Banner alter ego they're exploring ways to promote the Hulk as a corporate icon in the same way that MetLife uses the Peanuts' characters as their corporate mascots. Update: And make note: apparently Mark Ruffalo says he's signed on for six Marvel films. That's nothing to sneeze at.

Of course, before placing the horse before the cart, presumably the show would have to be a hit before the movie could take place, but it sounds like Marvel are at least feeling very positive and hopeful about the character as of right now. Let's keep an eye out to see if this plan sticks.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Tue May 01, 2012 12:40 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Tue May 01, 2012 7:50 pm

Will The Hulk get his own film in 2015? - An interview in Forbes reveals the company's shifting plans
Moriarty wrote:It's not often that movie news breaks in Forbes, but in this case, it makes a perverse sort of sense.

When Mark Ruffalo signed on for "The Avengers," he had to sign the same kind of long-term deal that every actor signs for Marvel. He told me at the press day that he was signed for six films, with "The Avengers" as the first of the six. That doesn't mean he's absolutely going to actually make six full films, but Marvel has the option to press him into service several more times if they want to.

When I was at the press day at the Four Seasons, they had a Hasbro room set up, showing a number of products from their toy line this summer, and in talking with them, it was obvious that they had high hopes for the Hulk. Evidently, even with the earlier films, the Hulk has always been a strong seller for them. The new version of the Hulk Hands are flying off shelves already, and once people actually see the film, that's only going to intensify, since Ruffalo and his big green alternate identity are highlights of the film

We've been hearing some rumbling about a TV show version of the Hulk with Guillermo Del Toro and David Eick attached to it, but Del Toro's going to be busy for at least the next year with post-production on "Pacific Rim," so there's no word yet on when that series might launch. Up till now, Kevin Feige has been very firm in telling people that they're not interested in making another stand-alone film for the character.

Paul Gitter, director of consumer products for Marvel, may have something else in mind.

In an interview with Forbes that went live today, they talk about the way they've been orchestrating the merchandise for this movie and the way they've also been building towards "The Avengers" over the last few years, and he talks about the performance of Hulk products and how big the sales are so far. And discussing their new-found confidence in the character, he mentions that if current sales trends continue, they'll create a merchandise line devoted just to the Hulk next year, with plans to bring him back to the big-screen in 2015.

That's news. If they're planning a feature, my guess is that they aren't going to also do a new TV series. They'll want to do an either/or, and I doubt they're going to get Ruffalo to commit to a TV series. The thing that I'm most curious about is how they plan to handle a new movie, since one of the keys to the Hulk's successful deployment in "The Avengers" is the careful and sparing use of him. There are only two big Hulk sequences in the film, but they are both enormous fun, and they're at just the right moment. In between those scenes, there are plenty of other superheroics on display, so it's not like the audience is left waiting. Instead, the Hulk is used almost as punctuation, icing on an already delicious cake.

I like both of the earlier Hulk films to varying degrees, but I don't think either one of them is a home run. I think it's a very, very difficult property to get right as a movie, and while I understand the sudden urge on Marvel's part, I hope they are careful and that they don't burn the character down in a rush to exploit the public's sudden fondness for him.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Tue May 01, 2012 10:43 pm

‘The Avengers’: As the Hulk, Mark Ruffalo is all the rage
Actor recalls being 'an angry young man with a persecution complex'
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Fri May 04, 2012 7:20 pm

Marvel Has Big Plans For The Hulk As Hero
Marvel execs are notoriously tightlipped and no formal announcements have been made. But now President of Consumer Products Paul Gitter tells Forbes magazine that he and his colleagues have been “pleasantly surprised by the phenomenal response” to the Hulk already – even before The Avengersopened. “His sales are up in a major way. We repositioned him from where he was always misunderstood to now depicting him in a more heroic and aspirational manner.” Now fanboys have their first look at Mark Ruffalo’s iteration of the Hulk and they like what they see. Gitter says Marvel “will spin him off to a stand-alone program next year,” which Forbes says is “presumably supported by another big budget franchise movie in 2015. The entertainment studio is also exploring ways to promote Hulk as a ‘corporate icon’ similar to MetLife’s usage of Peanuts’ Snoopy, with Hulk’s image conveying a message about channeling strength to overcome workplace challenges.” This is a marked change from what Marvel Studios President Kevin Feige told Collider recently. “…Every time I see a good take or a good storyline or read some good pages, I think, ‘Oh should we make a movie about this?’ But with the Hulk we’re gonna play it very carefully. We had varying degrees of success on those first two movies, so we’re not gonna say, ‘Oh we did it! Another one!’ We’re gonna be smart about it and play it out. There are no plans right now to do another Hulk. Hulk might be just the special guest in Avengers movies, who knows?” Feige also told The Huffington Post that Marvel put “everything they had and everything they were going for into Hulk’s appearance in Avengers” so it’s “mission accomplished at this point.” According to Collider, a Hulk TV series is in development by Guillermo del Toro and Battlestar Galactica producer David Eick that would develop the original story of Bruce Banner in his mid-20s, and Jeph Loeb, head of Marvel Television, recently confirmed that the live-action show is in active development at ABC.

Also look for Marvel to “synergize” the Avengers into a “multi-platform brand that can live 365 days a year,” Gitter says. To that end, Marvel is introducing digital initiatives, new print and comic book titles, and The Avengers animated TV series in 2013, in addition to the threequel and sequel films in the works. Although the Black Widow isn’t yet scheduled for her own stand-alone movie, the character’s lifestyle will inspire a collection of athletic gear and beauty products. As for whether Marvel superheroes will join Disney theme parks or star on Broadway, Gitter doesn’t directly confirm these initiatives, only stating that Marvel is “exploring all land-based opportunities, including stand-alone shows and attractions.”
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sat May 05, 2012 1:25 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Mon May 07, 2012 1:44 am

From Hero Complex July 27, 2011:
‘The Avengers’ and the Hulk: Kevin Feige explains a new approach
Geoff Boucher wrote:The Hulk will appear in his third feature film next year when Oscar-nominated actor Mark Ruffalo gets green in Joss Whedon’s ”The Avengers.” On Sunday, at the final day of Comic-Con International, fans got their first sense of the character’s new visage thanks to a Marvel promotional poster that depicts both the angry giant as well as Ruffalo’s Bruce Banner, shown in sad silhouette. I caught up with Kevin Feige, president of Marvel Studios and producer of “The Avengers,” to talk about the new green movement.

Geoff Boucher wrote:GB: Will we see anything substantially different in the visual realization of the Hulk?

KF: Well, I don’t know about substantially different. It will be as different as ”The Incredible Hulk” was from Ang Lee’s “Hulk” in terms of its look and design, but it is Hulk. The image we released on the last day of Comic-Con — which got a tremendous amount of attention and I was very pleased about — is a very good representation of what he’s going to look like. Hulk is Hulk. We’re not going to reinvent the wheel.

GB: How big will he be? That’s been a major variable through the years in the comics and the two films as well.

KF: He’ll be about the same size he was in “The Incredible Hulk” [which was about 9 feet tall] or maybe a little bit smaller. His muscles won’t be quite as cut. We figure he’s been the Hulk now for a few years and [his physique is changing]. He’s not as cut or as ripped as he was in “The Incredible Hulk.” The most important thing is that face. As you can already see in that concept painting, it is — more than any Hulk that’s ever been done in live action — a Hulk that let’s you see the actor in there. You will be able to see Ruffalo in there. That was a big revelation for us. It’s just a concept painting, but in that you can see the [influence of Marvel Comics pioneer and original Hulk artist Jack] Kirby, as people have already pointed out, but also, and equally important in this case, Ruffalo’s eyes and his cheek structure. It is him.

GB: That sounds like a very different philosophy than the approach you took on Louis Letterrier’s movie.

KF: It is. It was something we actively avoided before. Hulk was Hulk, he’s not any one actor and Hulk should look like Hulk. It was like Iron Man’s armor, in a way, it wouldn’t change depending on the actor wearing it. But we’ve taken a different approach because Hulk is Banner and, frankly, we came to question our approach. Why are we not doing it this way? So we did a few designs that put Ruffalo into it, and we immediately saw how much more you feel for the creature. When you keep that connection going between Banner and the Hulk and you have characters around him trying to reach Banner inside — “Bruce, calm down,” and all of that classic Hulk stuff — it means more if you see the same actor throughout. I think before it was something we thought might look silly. We were nervous about getting it good enough [via visual effects] to work. Frankly, it was the same way we were nervous early on about making Steve Rogers skinny for “Captain America.” Is this going to look disturbing? Is this going to look silly? In the end, we got that one right. We’re going to get this one right.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby so sorry on Mon May 07, 2012 10:17 am

So what the hell is this thread about? Is it news on The Hulk and the future of TheHulk movies?

Cause this thread title is confusing at best, and the lead post in here is about an old dead dude...

I've changed the title.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Re: The Hulk Movie news

Postby Peven on Mon May 07, 2012 11:11 am

I hope they get Ruffalo to play Banner if they choose to make another Hulk movie, he killed it in The Avengers

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Re: The Hulk Movie news

Postby TheButcher on Mon May 07, 2012 6:54 pm

I like the look of the Avengers Hulk. He looks like the Hulk from the Casey/Kollins Avengers story. link

Back and Forth with Mark Ruffalo - Hulk Smash Hydrofracking!
Jon Lentz wrote:CS: You play the Incredible Hulk, who was created by a freak accident during a bomb test. Does that kind of cautionary tale relate to hydrofracking and its repercussions?

MR:
There’s a long line of scientific experiments gone bad in history and in storytelling, and it’s something we go back to all the time. It’s all over the comic books. It’s in our consciousness and our subconscious as a culture. We personify it in our mythologies as superheroes and we live next to it in our lives, such as Fukushima and what’s happening at Dimock. This is a struggle that will continue to go on as we become more desperate for this type of carbon energy. Long gone are the days when we simply stick a straw in the ground and get beautiful concentrated carbon energy percolating to the surface with very little impact to the area around us. Now we’ve entered the era of extreme energy extraction: It’s hydrofracking, it’s deep-sea drilling, it’s mountaintop removal, it’s tar sands. These are the new norm, and they’re incredibly dangerous, incredibly toxic, and they’re accelerating global warming at an unprecedented rate. And that’s what we’re going to be stuck with. Just like the superhero disasters.

CS: I know you’re in a hurry—and I really don’t want to make you angry and have you turn into the Hulk—but did you have a favorite superhero as a kid?

MR:
The Hulk. The TV show was my favorite, with Bill Bixby. I loved that show.

CS: So it’s come full circle?

MR:
Yeah. I got lucky. In a lot of ways.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: The Hulk 2015 Movie News Thread

Postby TheButcher on Mon May 07, 2012 10:09 pm

10 Lessons We Learned From The AVENGERS Movie
MARVEL HAD THE HULK ALL WRONG... UNTIL NOW

We're not going to spoil it - you'll know it when you see it. It's just a split second, but it's one of the movie's biggest laughs and the moment in "The Avengers" when you realize how very wrong Marvel and the writers and directors of his two solo 'adventures' had the big-screen Hulk all along.

Steeped in somber pathos (an homage to the moody 70's TV series) and portrayed more like a completely thoughtless wounded animal than a pure manifestation of all-too human rage, the previous Hulks were simply no fun. Not fun at all.

The Hulk's rampages were what movie audiences went to see - they wanted "Hulk SMASH" - but the Hulk-outs were treated like Greek tragedies, which is a losing formula for popcorn movie events.

"Iron Man" worked because Tony Stark wanted to be Iron Man. Ditto for "Thor" and "Captain America". Power fantasy is reliant on the protagonist actually enjoying the power. And that's all it took to make this Hulk work and what "The Avengers" gets right ... just a hint that exercising your inner rage with your fists can be a just a little bit fun.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Tue May 08, 2012 6:53 pm

Despite 'John Carter,' Disney Beats Quarterly Earnings Expectations
Paul Bond wrote:In its earnings release, CEO Robert Iger expressed confidence for the current quarter, partially because Marvel Entertainment's The Avengers "shattered domestic box-office records with a $207.1 million opening weekend for a global performance of more than $702 million to date."

On a conference call with analysts, Iger called Avengers "a great illustration of why we like Marvel so much." Then -- as if there were any doubts -- the CEO announced that a sequel to the blockbuster film is in the works with a release date "to be determined."

Multiple analysts asked about the licensed-product opportunities surrounding Avengers. Iger said there is stronger demand for Hulk toys since the release of the film last week, and added that there are "multiple opportunities to mine these great characters."

Iger said there are plans, for example, to add Avenger-based attractions to theme parks where existing deals with competitors make that possible.

Iger shot down the possibility of purchasing the film rights to other Marvel characters -- Fox's rights to X-Men, for example -- on the basis that there are so many in the Marvel stable to begin with that isn't the need for more.

Disney revenue up 6% in second quarter
'John Carter' $200 million writedown prevents robust Q2
Marc Graser wrote:While "The Avengers" assembles auds in theaters, ABC is developing a TV show based on the Incredible Hulk that Guillermo del Toro will produce. Boy targeted cable channel Disney XD already shows "Avengers" toons. Its consumer products biz is benefitting from "The Avengers'" success, selling out of toys, especially for the Hulk -- Hasbro alone is expected to generate $400 million from "Avengers"-related toy sales. Disney's theme parks are developing new attractions based on Marvel characters that don't appear at Universal's Islands of Adventure park in Orlando, Fla. And online, a "Marvel: Avengers Alliance" game has attracted over 7 million paying players on Facebook.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Peven on Tue May 08, 2012 8:35 pm

so they are trying to say that John Carter cost $470 million???? :roll: sounds like some creative accounting to me.....

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby TheButcher on Wed May 09, 2012 6:49 pm

From CHUD:
INTERVIEW: KEVIN FEIGE (THE AVENGERS)
Josh: Is there any work on the Incredible Hulk 2 now that the character has stolen The Avengers? Or is he being kept as a supporting player now?

Feige: There is a possibility. Our deal with Mark Ruffalo would allow it.

Josh: But nothing currently moving forward?

Feige: No.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:19 am

MARVEL CINEMATIC UNIVERSE Roundup
Mark Ruffalo wrote:I got a text from Joss Whedon the other day. Sounds like he is writing some very interesting stuff for Banner and his alter ego The Hulk.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:47 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby RogueScribner on Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:39 pm

That Hulk story is interesting, if true. I hope it works!
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby TheButcher on Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:27 am

Sounds like Marvel plans to keep The Hulk busy for the next few years

Have we learned the role the Hulk will play in Phase Two and Phase Three?
Moriarty wrote:There is a very short list of reporters online who consistently and correctly scoop information that is supposed to be secret. I'm not talking about breaking a casting story because the studio sent you the press release ten minutes early, and I'm not talking about the shell game that gets played with information at the trades. I'm talking about genuinely revealing something that someone else does not want revealed at all. It is a skill set that very few outlets seem to value or cultivate.

Then you've got Latino Review and El Mayimbe, who evidently subsists entirely on a liquid diet of the tears from angry studio executives. Mayimbe cracks me up because of how alpha male he gets about scoops. When you're hunting down information on movies about dudes in spandex beating all hell out of other dudes in spandex, it seems to be a particularly funny time to get aggro about what it is you're doing. And that's what makes Mayimbe great.

It also helps that he's got a pretty ridiculous track record.

Sometimes you end up with a direct pipeline into someone's creative process, and it can drive them crazy. There was a run of about three or four years where I think JJ Abrams was half-convinced I had a "Being John Malkovich" style portal into his actual skull. Right now, Mayimbe is planted deep inside Marvel's naughty spots, and he is giving them fits. He's been teasing a new Marvel scoop for weeks, and tonight, he revealed the story. If it pans out the way he describes, then he may have just laid down the framework that the entire Marvel Phase Two and Phase Three films will be using.

Keep in mind, if this is all correct, then these are fairly sizable spoilers for several of the upcoming Marvel movies. If you're an avid reader of comic books, then many of the ideas here are already known to you, while the way they're being utilized in the movie universe might be somewhat surprising.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:00 pm

From MTV 6/13/08 :
Should Hulk Be The Villain In 'The Avengers'? You Decide, Says Hulk Director

Lord Voldemoo wrote:
buster00 wrote:Incredible Hulk director Louis Leterrier thinks The Hulk should be the villain in The Avengers, which isn't a bad idea. Maybe not as the main villain, but as a threat which needs to be contained, like in The Ultimates.

Here's the story.

Yup, and as the writer of the blog says there's certainly precedent for that. They sorta did initially unite (by accident) to stop the Hulk...then the Hulk joined and they stopped Loki who was behind it all...then the Hulk left in issue 2 and the rest of the team (including Cap once he was found and de-iced) united to stop him.

They could easily play with that idea here. Seemingly they are NOT forming the Avengers in response to some specific threat...as it's already happening. SHIELD is forming the team. But what if they recruit Banner thinking he has Hulk under control and then he loses it..

I like the idea, particularly the idea of a "villian" that's not your basic black hat.

From MTV: 10/9/08
‘Iron Man’ Writers Want Hulk To Be ‘The Avengers’ Villain
Shawn Adler wrote:Everything in the Marvel Film Universe is leading to the eventual superhero tag team-up, “The Avengers,” with Iron Man, Ant-Man, Thor, and Captain America all fighting side-by-side. What possible villain could compete with that?

“The Incredible Hulk” director Louis Leterrier told MTV News this past June that he didn’t think any villain could, and suggested that they use a hero instead: his.

“Iron Man” writers Mark Fergus and Hawk Ostby, who themselves may be writing another Marvel movie in the near future, couldn’t agree more, they told MTV News, insisting that everything is building towards making The Hulk the villain in the eagerly anticipated 2011 movie.

“I hope ‘The Avengers’ embraces that,” Fergus said of having the Hulk as misunderstood baddie. “You don’t want like 10 super-badass good guys fighting together. Where’s the fun in that? Let’s break it off a little. Friends or colleagues who become enemies is always an interesting thing because you know it’s based on love and friendship and that’s always the worst thing to have turn bad — is someone you actually care about and someone you actually believe in.”

Hulk, of course, has fought nearly every Marvel hero at some point in the comics, and because he already had his own movie, wouldn’t need to be set-up in the new one. In fact, all the hard work is already done.

“I left the door open for whoever’s going to direct ‘The Avengers’ with our last shot. Edward [Norton] and I, we consciously decided to make the last shot of the movie when he opens his eyes and he smirks at the camera,” Leterrier told us. “Is he enjoying it? Is he malicious? That’s what’s great about Edward. You don’t know if he’s a good guy or bad guy. He’s always on this edge and we’ve been sort of surfing that edge, that very thin edge during the entire movie.”

Recall, also that Downey Jr. as Tony Stark appears to General Ross at the very end of “Hulk,” a scene Leterrier called the first scene of “The Avengers.”

Sign Stark and them up for more, Fergus said.

“I personally like when good-guy characters have to fight each other,” he said. “Good guys going against good guys who both believe in an issue is way more interesting than a villain clearly into evil and I like when former friends become committed enemies.”

From MTV 10/20/08:
Will The Hulk Be The Villain In ‘The Avengers’? We Take The Issue To Marvel’s President
Shawn Adler wrote:Earlier this year, "The Incredible Hulk" director Louis Leterrier got the ball rolling with the coolest comic idea since the pencil, telling MTV News that he thought his green hero would make a perfect villain — a conflicted behemoth out to fight each and every one of Marvel's greatest in "The Avengers." "Iron Man" scripters Hawk Ostby and Mark Fergus (who are in talks to potentially write another Marvel franchise) told us recently that they couldn't agree more, saying they love nothing more than when "good guys have to fight each other."

If reporters can be allowed causes, then this has been mine — one I've championed in every discussion about the myriad possibilities for "Avengers."

"So YOU'RE the one," Marvel Studios President of Production Kevin Feige laughed in a recent conversation to talk about "The Incredible Hulk" DVD (read our chat about Feige's thoughts on the success of the film, as well as why there isn't yet a "Hulk 2" here.)

Yes, I'm the one. So the real question, Mr. Feige: should I stop talking it up, or start demanding my 10%?

"Here's the thing — it is all in the planning stages, but certainly if you look back to any number of 'Hulk' comics, or 'Avengers' comics, or 'The Ultimates' comics or the 'Ultimate Avengers' DVD that we released, it certainly makes a hell of a sequence," Feige said of a possible Hulk vs. Avengers battle, one which Leterrier set up perfectly with the end of his film with the scene depicting Tony Stark counseling a defeated General Ross.

In fact, Leterrier went so far as to call that shot the first scene of "The Avengers" when we chatted in June. For a number of reasons I detailed earlier, actually, it just makes TOO much sense — it wouldn't necessarily require Norton (just a lot of CGI), it would be a viable threat to the already assembled group (which wouldn't require an additional villain's story), and it could dovetail nicely with a "Hulk 2" set-up (which Feige admitted in our chat was something they weren't planning in the moment.)

So it's gotta be, right?

For his part, Feige wouldn't confirm or deny. But ... he sure did seem excited.

"To have all of the Avengers going up against a green goliath?" he teased. "I think that would be very cool to see that on the screen."
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:04 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:49 pm

Joss Whedon at the Glasgow Film Festival - Playing the jokers
AQ - You think it would be possible to make a good Hulk film?

JW -
Yes. But it would be very, very hard. Hulk is a tricky son of a bitch. He’s the Claudio of superheroes. Because the problem is it’s a very popular character, but it’s not a superhero. Half of it’s a superhero, half of it’s a werewolf. And you can’t structure it like a superhero movie, you can’t light it like a superhero movie. How do you develop that? It would be extremely difficult. The one thing you would have in your favour would be Mark Ruffalo. But right now I don’t know if they have plans to do that or not, because he works so well as part of a greater whole, but by himself, it’s tough. I don’t envy the guys who went before.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:03 am

Joss Whedon Q&A On Eve Of SXSW
JEN YAMATO wrote:DEADLINE: What about speculation over potential Hulk spin-off stories?
WHEDON:
The Hulk is the most difficult Marvel property because it’s always about balance. Is he a monster? Is he a hero? Are you going to root for a protagonist who spends all his time trying to stop the reason you came to the movie from happening? It’s always a dance. I don’t think the first two movies nailed it, but I don’t envy them the task. It was easier to have him in a group than to build everything around him. I don’t think there would be any problem getting a movie together that had enough Banner, even if there was also Hulk. But if he was only Hulk for the entire movie I think Mark [Ruffalo] at some point would go, why am I here? I would be less inclined to pursue a storyline where the Hulk is only ever the Hulk. Mark [Ruffalo] and I loved the Hulk and went over and over the concept of rage and how it should manifest, and that part of it was fascinating to both of us. But when it comes time for the Hulk he has to put on the silliest damn pajamas you ever saw, a tiara made of balls, and a bunch of dots on his face and growl around like an idiot. The real heart of the experience ultimately becomes playing Banner. And people fell in love with Banner because I think Mark has you from the first time he shows up.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Tue May 07, 2013 4:08 am

Phase Three: Will Doctor Strange & Hulk Get Solo Movies Before ‘Avengers 3′?
Rob Keyes wrote:Another big possibility for Phase Three is a third attempt at selling a Hulk solo film, but Feige indicates that such a project wouldn’t be a Planet Hulk adaptation:
“There’s no script in the works or anything, but we are talking about it. All the Hulk energy right now is on Avengers 2, but Mark Ruffalo is signed up [for more films]. What we’re excited about exploring and expanding is Mark – and Bruce Banner is not in Planet Hulk at all. The fun of Hulk is his interaction with humans.”
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Mon May 13, 2013 12:55 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sat May 18, 2013 3:09 am

Marvel's Phase Three: 'Doctor Strange,' 'Iron Man 4,' 'Hulk,' 'Inhumans' or 'Runaways' on horizon? -- EW EXCLUSIVE

Anthony Breznican wrote:The third time is the charm. For the Hulk, that moment came with The Avengers. It may lead to a place in Phase Three.

“People were like, ‘You’ve already had two movies. How is that going to happen?’” Feige said about pre-Avengers Hulk worries. “One of the goals that we talked about with Joss [Whedon] on Avengers was we want Hulk to be cool again.”

Ten years have also passed since Ang Lee and Eric Bana’s (in my opinion) underrated Hulk in 2003, which was rebooted with Edward Norton in the Bruce Banner role for 2008’s more action-oriented The Incredible Hulk.

Each was a modest box-office hit, with lukewarm critical reviews. Neither Hulk was particularly beloved by fans. That changed with The Avengers as Mark Ruffalo stepped into the role of Banner, giving the scientist with a mean, green streak some much needed warmth and humor.

Part of Ruffalo’s charm was making the character of Banner/Hulk more like a lovable kid who is prone to uncontrollable tantrums. It worked. Fans wanted more — a lot more.

In December, Ruffalo told EW he’s up for returning as the character, but worried that if they don’t do a Hulk movie with him relatively soon after Avengers 2, he’ll age out of the role. “You don’t want to be a 55-year-old Hulk,” the 45-year-old actor said.

“If anyone could be a great 55-year-old Hulk, it’s Mark so I’m not worried about that,” Feige told EW.

Rumors that a live-action version of the Planet Hulk comics series, in which the green monster is banished to an alien world, are completely false, Marvel execs insist. “What we’re excited about exploring and expanding is Mark — and Banner’s not in Planet Hulk at all,” Feige says. “The fun of the Hulk is his interaction with humans.”

There’s no script for a solo Hulk movie in the works just yet, but Feige says: “Mark could stand in his own movie. … We’re talking about it. We’re excited to sit down and go, ‘What is a stand-alone Hulk movie?’”

Most Marvel fans would agree: Phase Three could use a heaping helping of green.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:41 am

CBM:
Rumor: THE INCREDIBLE HULK 2 Could Take Story Cues From Current Marvel NOW Comic
So we've all heard the rumors saying a sequel to The Incredible Hulk could be based on comic book story arcs like Planet Hulk and World War Hulk. But Marvel Studios executives (thankfully) debunked those rumors because they want any future Hulk movie to focus more on actor Mark Ruffalo since he did sign a multi-picture deal with the studio.

This doesn't mean Marvel Studios isn't still looking for the basis of their next Hulk solo movie in the comics, past and/or present. Now, according to one of The Daily SuperHero's screenwriting sources—who is closely plugged into Marvel movie development ideas—word on the street says the Hulk sequel might be getting a treatment based on some of the Bruce Banner-specific concepts in Marvel NOW's Indestructible Hulk comic.

In case you are not familiar with the Indestructible Hulk comic, the basic premise of the story is that Hulk is an agent of S.H.I.E.L.D. To get into more detail about the current comic title, Banner feels he needs to give back to society so he approaches S.H.I.E.L.D. and asks for a lab where he can give the world inventions that will help society in exchange for letting S.H.I.E.L.D. "point and aim" the Hulk whenever needed.

So why would this work on the big screen? First of all, Marvel Studios president Kevin Feige has openly said the key to another Hulk film is Ruffalo's portrayal of Banner. Hulk is just the icing on the cake in any future movie. Plus, Marvel's continued vision and focus since the days of Stan Lee running the show has been all about the person and his or her character behind the hero. So far this has been true in Marvel's Phase 1 and seems to be continuing during Phase 2 as well.

In the case of an Indestructible Hulk-based movie script, Banner would definitely be a big focus. As would S.H.I.E.L.D and having Hulk as a SHIELD agent brings a more realistic use for the green hero instead of telling the story that he's always running and hiding to stay away from stress, anger and putting people in danger.

Even though this is just a rumor, it really has to make Marvel fans think that Marvel Studios' next Hulk solo movie could very well be titled, "Indestructible Hulk." If any of this is true, of course. But since any potential Hulk sequel is in the very early stages of any type of development and scripting, take this rumor with a grain of salt.

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:02 pm

Kevin Feige Talks More About Marvel's 2016/2017 Plans; Confirms NAMOR Is Still At Universal
While it was believed the rights to Namor the Submariner had returned to Marvel, Kevin Feige has now confirmed that they remain at Universal. He also discusses their approach to deciding which movies will be released in 2016 and 2017 and teases Hawkeye's larger role in The Avengers: Age of Ultron.
Josh Wilding wrote:Talking to Empire Magazine at the recent D23 Expo, Marvel Studios President Kevin Feige cleared up a few rumours and teasingly addressed the future of the Marvel Cinematic Universe. When asked when we should expect to hear some solid news on which characters will be filling those recently announced 2016 and 2017 release date slots, he said: "Next spring is when we really sit down and start to decide what we announce for 2016 and 2017." So, in that case, it could be as late as next year's San Diego Comic-Con when we find out! Either way, Feige was quick to point out that he's still keen to exploit the popularity of the Hulk ("I think we have something special with our Mark Ruffalo Banner, and we'd love to see where we could take his stories"), adding that the Green Goliath will have "a significant role" in The Avengers: Age of Ultron. Speaking of which, he's not the only member of Earth's Mightiest Heroes who will have a big role in the sequel. So will Hawkeye! "Joss has a great storyline in mind for him that shows a deeper side and further fleshes out our favourite archer." Finally, Feige added that there are still no plans to introduce Ant-Man and Wasp in the movie, adding that when it comes to their next wave of movies, "There are three or four slots. We've got six or seven things going. We've got to choose which four will go. It's a Battle Royale!" Will one of them be Namor? Nope. "That's at Universal."
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:23 pm

Kevin Feige Tries To Address Almost Every Marvel Rumor Or Concern; More 'Phase Two' Update
Are you planning another solo Hulk movie?
"We have been discussing after Avengers what that would be, what that would look like. It’s really Mark Ruffalo portrayal of Bruce Banner, in the way Joss Whedon brought him to life in Avengers that worked. It’s even why you ask me that question. Which is good, we wanted that to happen, we wanted people to come out of Avengers saying The Hulk was their favorite character or at least on of their favorite. The fact that it did happen, was awesome. So, you know, all of the effort related to Hulk right know is going to Age of Ultron. It’s exciting, because he hasn’t been in any other film, so you can expect to have a lot of Bruce Banner and Hulk in Age of Ultron. Where we go after that ? We’ll see. It will be a little while before we figure that out but, we do think there’s plenty of opportunities with the Ruffalo Banner."

What really happened with Edward Norton when you negotiated for The Avengers?
"There never really was a negotiation period on that one."

You didn’t want him for the role?
"They were very very brief, limited discussions. But very soon after that, very early on the process, we identified Mark Ruffalo as who we wanted to play the character."
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:54 pm

Mark Ruffalo Just Got His Avengers: Age Of Ultron Script
Okay. Just got the New Avengers Script. And I am going to read it now. I hope Banner/Hulk are represented. @Marvel @josswhedon. Fingers X'd.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:40 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sat Jan 18, 2014 3:37 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:46 pm

Drew Pearce Talks About His Unproduced Marvel Screenplays
Graeme McMillan wrote:All Hail The King, the Marvel One-Shot short that appears on the Thor: The Dark World DVD and Blu-ray may mark Iron Man 3 screenwriter Drew Pearce's directorial debut on a Marvel Studios project, but it could have gone so differently.

"I'd been trying to direct and write a One-Shot for Marvel since Runaways was picked up," Pearce told Total Film magazine. "The One-Shot program comes in and out of existence at points, and you have to will the shorts to happen… I'd written a few different characters across a few One-Shots, and so when Sir Ben [Kingsley] said he'd do this one, oddly enough that tipped this over the line -- that one of the greatest actors of his generation was agreeing to do what is essentially my ridiculous student film."

Pearce talked about some of the One-Shots he's written that haven't ended up in production. "One that was Sin and Crossbones [the latter character will appear in Captain America: The Winter Soldier]," he revealed. "I love Jessica Jones, and while obviously Jessica Jones and Alias is NOW going to exist in the Netflix part of the Marvel Cinematic Universe, I'd always obsessively been trying to put her in stuff I'd been working with Marvel on… but about three or four other ones, too."

He also named his great Marvel white whale: "My Marvel obsession with Damage Control [a comedy series about the company tasked with cleaning up after large-scale superhero battles] is still there, but it's pretty difficult to make into a short," he said. "The clue is in the title that you have to do a lot of damage to then control it - and that's not really in the budget of a short movie. I just think it's got huge potential as a franchise."

Psst, Marvel: Given the success of Iron Man 3 and Pearce's apparent luck in focusing on properties that end up in development or use elsewhere on the Marvel Studios slate, maybe you should think about a Damage Control movie after all…
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: The Incredible Hulk of 2015

Postby TheButcher on Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:06 am

Mark Ruffalo Has Already Filmed Some HULK 'Motion Capture' For AVENGERS: AGE OF ULTRON

Marvel Could Start Releasing Three - Or Even Four - Movies A Year
Kevin Feige explains the situation where Marvel could break out of their two-per-year plan.
Devin Faraci wrote:Guardians 2 (which might be Planet Hulk, by the way. Yes, I believe that is on the table. It may not be a true adaptation of the comic series, but don't be shocked if Hulk and the Guardians of the Galaxy cross paths).
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:23 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Thu May 01, 2014 2:03 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:51 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:24 am

Bleeding Cool:
Stating The Obvious: Mark Ruffalo Says Marvel Are “Entertaining The Idea” Of A Solo Hulk Movie
Brendon Connelly wrote:For the first time? Really? Or is that code for ‘something is solidifying’?

We hear talk about Marvel movies all of the time. Sometimes we hear word from the set. And sometimes that word leaves us to believe that The Avengers: Age of Ultron goes a long way to setting up a solo Hulk movie. A particular solo Hulk movie.

Don’t be too surprised if there’s an announcement at San Diego. Just a little surprised.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Fri Jun 20, 2014 5:46 pm

Why The Next Hulk Film Should Be "Indestructible"
CBR breaks down the reasons Mark Waid's recent run with the jade giant provides the perfect set-up for a Mark Ruffalo-starring "Hulk" sequel.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sat Jun 21, 2014 11:23 am

Comic Book Resources:
5 Hulk Stories We Gotta See On Film
Are you ready to see Mark Ruffalo pull double duty as the Hulk and Maestro? SPINOFF ONLINE lists five ideas for a new "Hulk" film.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Next

Return to Movie News