The Disney News Thread

All the dirt. All the top secret stuff. Anything that has to do with the process of getting us to sit and watch something projected on the big screen.

Re: The Disney News Thread

Postby TheButcher on Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:53 am

so sorry wrote:Emma Watson cast as Belle in live action remake

I guess they will be going thru their entire catalog* of princesses and doing live action versions. This seems like good casting for sure.

We Could Get More Movies From the Live-Action Beauty and the Beast Universe

Deadline:
Sean Bailey On How Disney’s Live-Action Division Found Its ‘Beauty And The Beast’ Mojo

* Except you Pocahontas, nobody gives a shit about you.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Wolfpack on Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:39 pm

Live action Lion King? You wouldn't have to call it "Hamlet."
"Alright Shaggy - you and Scooby head over that way. The girls and I will go this way."
Wolfpack
AIRWOLF

Postby TheButcher on Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:21 am

Variety:
Studios Flirt With Offering Movies Early in Home for $30 (EXCLUSIVE)
TheButcher wrote:
MovieWeb December 7th, 2005
IGER SAYS DISNEY MAY BATTLE THEATER OWNERS ALONE

Disney CEO Robert Iger appears to be bracing himself for a war with theater owners over his determination to eliminate the delay between the time a film is released in theaters and the time it is released on DVD. In an interview with today's (Monday) Walt Street Journal, Iger said that he had hoped that other studio chiefs would side with him, but he said, "No movie studio really wants to be first because it's like going over the hill first in battle. They don't want to take the most bullets." He said that theater chains have threatened to reduce the number of screens his movies are shown in if he attempts to narrow the gap between their theatrical and DVD release. "We'll have a conversation with theater owners to see whether we can move them more peacefully," he told the Journal. "But I think in the end, it's going to have to be more by force than through negotiation or diplomacy." Iger indicated that he recently proposed to the theater owners that they sell Chicken Little DVDs in their lobbies and share the profits from the sales. "But there's so much fear now about change that no one wants to sit down and have a frank discussion." In the same interview, Iger also indicated that Disney plans a substantial cutback in its feature output in the coming year, remarking, "I don't think the talent pool has expanded enough to feed the number of movies being made. ... At Miramax, we're using the opportunity of ending the relationship with Harvey and Bob Weinstein to cut back our investment in that business by hundreds of millions of dollars."

Iger indicated that he recently proposed to the theater owners that they sell Chicken Little DVDs in their lobbies and share the profits from the sales.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:24 am

Wolfpack wrote:Live action Lion King? You wouldn't have to call it "Hamlet."

Piglet
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: ‘Spring Breakers’

Postby TheButcher on Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:25 am

Spandau Belly wrote:Image

SPRING BREAKERS

There was a time (around 1997) when I prettymuch looked like James Franco's character in this movie. The braided hairs, the Hawaiian shirts 'n wifebeaters, the big sunglasses, posing with guns while playing rap music, watching SCARFACE in a non-stop loop. So I felt a certain kinship with this movie. But beyond capturing the look and behaviour, writer-director Harmony Korine captures the hypnotic feeling of partying and how good it feels it to be young and just do drugs and dance and grind for hours and days on end. That pulse of adreniline, tits, and music runs through this movie. If tonight is what it means to be young, then this movie takes place tonight, even though I saw it yesterday.

The film won me over with its understanding of the youthful mentality of these four girls who just want to party. Then when James Franco's character shows up, the real plot starts up and revolves around his dream of getting a posse of hot girls to be his henchwomen in a crimewave to take on his rival, who was his childhood best-friend and has an ice cream cone tattooed on face. By the time we get to the part where Franco performs a Britney Spears ballad on an outdoor piano while the girls dance ballet with shotguns while wearing pink unicorn ski-masks, I was in love with this movie.

This is a coming-of-age movie, much like Y TU MAMA TAMBIEN and FOXES, except that it looks and feels nothing like those movies on the surface. It looks more and feels more like MIAMI VICE with its minimalist dialogue and use of lighting, music, and editing to moods. Franco gives an excellent performance and totally commits to playing this guy in a sincere way. The four girls fit well into their roles (Gomez is the timid one, Benson is the daring one, Hudgens is the cockmonster, Korine's wife is the passed-out one). There's this one motif in the movie in which the girls all call their mums or nans and tell them how much fun they are having. All four actresses perform these scenes like they are reading their lines and not having an actual conversation. If it had just been one girl who sounded like that, I probably would've just thought it was bad acting, but all four sounding so dry in these one-sided conversations makes me think it was some sort of deliberate stylistic choice on behalf of Korine.

I think this film is really good. I really enjoyed it and woke up this morning still thinking about it an smiling. Spring break 4-ever, bitchez!

The Playlist:
‘Spring Breakers’ Digital Series In The Works[

Deadline:
Spring Breakers’ Set As Digital Series From Movie’s Producers & Blackpills

Variety:
Vice Dives Into Digital Scripted Content With Productions From Luc Besson, Bryan Singer, Zoe Cassavetes (EXCLUSIVE)
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Pirates of the Caribbean 5

Postby TheButcher on Thu May 18, 2017 10:55 am

SONY HACK 2017
Hackers Threaten to Leak Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales Unless Disney Pays a Ransom
Jordan Crucchiola wrote:
Earlier today, reports came in that an unnamed, unreleased Disney movie had been stolen from the company by hackers. Company CEO Bob Iger informed ABC employees at a town-hall-style meeting that a movie had been taken, and that it was being held hostage in exchange for a large sum of bitcoin. Deadline is now reporting that the stolen property is the forthcoming Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales, and that the company is working with the FBI in order to resolve the issue. Iger said that Disney has no plans to pay the ransom, despite the fact that the hackers have threatened to release the entire movie in five-minute-long increments unless the studio antes up with the bitcoin. Parallels are being drawn between this incident and a recent one in which hackers threatened to release the entire fifth season of Orange Is the New Black unless ransom demands where met. Netflix also refused to pay, and the hackers in that case did follow through on their promise, dumping all ten episodes of the upcoming fifth season on the Pirate Bay just last month.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheBaxter on Thu May 18, 2017 11:34 am

maybe they'd have more luck by ransoming a movie people actually want to see?
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Wolfpack on Thu May 18, 2017 11:58 am

I guess dead men give no fucks, either.
"Alright Shaggy - you and Scooby head over that way. The girls and I will go this way."
Wolfpack
AIRWOLF

Postby Wolfpack on Thu May 18, 2017 5:13 pm

Oh my god. I just realized something. You know what this means? This means that a movie would be available for download before its official release.

Clever move, hackers. Clever move.
Wolfpack
AIRWOLF

Postby TheButcher on Sun May 21, 2017 7:15 am

Den of Geek May 26, 2010:
Disney and Jerry Bruckheimer announce their latest project, Lightspeed
Ryan Lambie wrote:Now, according to Variety, Bruckheimer and Disney have purchased the screenplay for writers Terry Rossio and Bill Marsilii's space race adventure about "a young pilot who makes the Earth Interstellar Racing Team and must take his ship on a perilous journey across the galaxy on the brink of war".

The Weird Reason Johnny Depp Nixed a Female Villain for ‘Pirates of the Caribbean 5’
Ben Pearson wrote:But the more fascinating piece of info comes from writer Terry Rossio, who has a writing credit on every Pirates film thus far (including the new one). MoviePilot noticed a relevant section of a blog post from last year in which Rossio explains that Depp vetoed the idea of a Pirates 5 female villain. I’ll let the screenwriter explain why:
The original title of this column was planned to be World Creation Subject to Whim Destruction. Which I think is a pretty accurate summation of the job of screenwriting in general. […]

More recent examples: my television series “Magical Law” lapsed when Gore Verbinski decided to direct “The Lone Ranger” instead. Our theatrical feature “Lightspeed” was put on the back burner when Disney acquired the “Star Wars” franchise. My version of ‘Dead Men Tell No Tales’ was set aside because it featured a female villain, and Johnny Depp was worried that would be redundant to “Dark Shadows,” which also featured a female villain.

Of course there is also the possibility that all those screenplays simply sucked. But usually when I go back to read a screenplay that wasn’t produced, it holds up, often better than the film that was eventually produced. Sometimes it just takes a single decision by a single person, often just a whim, to destroy years of story creation and world-building.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Johnny Depp Gotta Eat!

Postby TheButcher on Sat May 27, 2017 4:34 am

Jerry Bruckheimer Says the ‘Pirates’ Franchise Won’t Go On Without Johnny Depp
“I just don’t see it. The secret to any successful franchise is picking talented people, and Johnny is absolutely key to the success of Pirates. He’s such a unique character, such an endearing character, and such an irreverent character all in one.”

Capone feels cursed and hornswaggled watching PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN: DEAD MEN TELL NO TALES!!!
Capone wrote:At this point, I just assume Johnny Depp is really drunk on screen while playing the stumbling, mumbling Capt. Jack Sparrow. He’d have to be to endure inhabiting a character as underwritten and essentially pushed to the sidelines of his own film series. He has easily become the least interesting figure in the PIRATES movies, especially when put alongside far more interesting anti-heroes as returning pirate Capt. Barbossa (Geoffrey Rush), who has become the world’s most successful pirate, and new villain Captain Salazar (Javier Bardem), a ghost pirate leading a ghost crew who can never leave the water and appear as rotting-corpse apparitions, some with body parts missing (it’s actually rather ghastly, but the effects are so stunning, you almost don’t notice).
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:41 am

Netflix, ABC Hacker Promises More Leaks: "Hollywood Is Under Attack"
TheDarkOverlord hacking collective claims to have studio films: "We're in the business of earning vast amounts of internet money."
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Previous

Return to Movie News